100 things you should eat before you die

Brian Christiansen

Sep 7, 2008, 5:54:45 PM9/7/08
http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/

70. Wasabi peas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wasabi_peas.jpg

55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
really just dont wanna risk it.

53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.

49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these, even
if they are not poisonous.

38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
from.

18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
significantly different from a Twix Bar.

16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
"kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
there only in the most expensive steakhouses.

No mention, however, of Roman Manju or Florentine Senbei.

Brian Christiansen

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 7, 2008, 6:11:45 PM9/7/08

#1: SOULS! (whoops, sorry.)

Done that.

> 55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
> may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
> improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
> really just dont wanna risk it.

Not done that, probably never will. Neurotoxins are not Fun Flavor
Experiences.

> 53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.

One of the best kinds of sushi for me is eel.

> 49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these, even
> if they are not poisonous.

I've had stuff prepared with umeboshi products, but I don't think I've
encountered the actual fruit. I think it's a kind of plum.

> 38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
> oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
> from.

It's used for a number of purposes, but calling it "edible" is a bit of
a stretch. At best it's a mineral-enriched "filler".

> 18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
> with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
> I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
> significantly different from a Twix Bar.

There are MANY types of pocky. They're all good, I think.

> 16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
> "kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
> raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
> Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
> there only in the most expensive steakhouses.

I've had Kobe a couple of times. It really is amazingly good.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Aje RavenStar

Sep 7, 2008, 6:01:14 PM9/7/08

"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Where's the durian fruit?!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 7, 2008, 6:15:36 PM9/7/08

That's on the list of "100 things you will die if you eat", I think.

If Andrew Zimmer can't manage to find something nice to say about it,
it must pass far beyond the limits of edible.

Travers Naran

Sep 7, 2008, 7:20:03 PM9/7/08

Done that. My co-workers when they come back from Asia on vacation
almost always bring these back. At first, I wasn't so sure about them,
now I love them.

> 55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
> may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
> improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
> really just dont wanna risk it.

As Anthony Burdain once said, it's just an ordinary fish. The only kick
is the risk of dying.

> 53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.

Unagi. Available at every real sushi place on the planet. Mmmm, I love
Unagi.

> 49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these, even
> if they are not poisonous.

I love them in onigiri.

> 38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
> oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
> from.

Kaopectate, perhaps? :-) (Kaopectate used to contain kaolin up until the
90s).

> 18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
> with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
> I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
> significantly different from a Twix Bar.

Up here in Vancouver, Pocky was so mainstream even the white kids had it
in their lunches. I still laugh my ass off at otaku who think Pocky is
"exotic" or special.

> 16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
> "kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
> raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
> Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
> there only in the most expensive steakhouses.

Supposedly it is exported, but at hideously expensive prices. I recall
seeing on the Food network that the Belagio in Las Vegas imports it and
sells it for hideous amounts of money.

I'd be more impressed by people who eat natto. And yes, I have. It
makes limburgher seem tasty. >_<;

And natto strands seem to stretch forever and get everywhere.

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Travers Naran

Sep 7, 2008, 7:38:01 PM9/7/08

Lesse what I've eaten...

100. Venison
98. Huevos rancheros (had this at the caf at work too -- that version
was awful)

95. Black pudding -- as often as I can! (It's expensive lately :-( )

94. Cheese fondue -- I've eaten it in Switzerland too!

92. Borscht -- Expo 86, Soviet pavilion's restaurant

91. Baba ghanoush -- a co-worker makes an Iranian variant for the
pot-luck lunches at work

90. Calamari

89. Pho -- Lots of these pho shops in Vancouver now

88. PB&J sandwich

87. Aloo gobi -- did not know it was called that.

86. Hot dog from a street cart -- Go to Toronto for the sheer density of
carts

82. Steamed pork buns -- I eat this a lot, actually. Go here in metro
Vancouver for the best value http://www.tnt-supermarket.com/

76. Brawn, or head cheese -- I used to have this for lunch all through
high school >_<;

73. Oysters -- I've had the raw from the shell variety. I prefer the BC
ones

72. Baklava

70. Wasabi peas

67. Sauerkraut -- I've got a huge ass jar of the stuff in my fridge (am
I the only one who eats it straight from the jar sometimes? >_>)

66. Root beer float

62. Gumbo

61. Oxtail -- My mom makes this a lot during the winter

60. Curried goat -- Had the Jamaican version of this

59. Whole insects -- Not deliberately

57. Goat’s milk -- I tried this once and gagged

54. Chicken tikka masala

53. Eel

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut -- When the first KK opened in
metro Vancouver, I was there opening weekend! Didn't get in. :-( Mmmm,
I love it when I get there as the originals are coming off the line and
they give you a free one straight from the line.

51. Sea urchin -- Several times. Felt like throwing up each time, but I
kept it down. So yes, I've eaten testicles.

50. Prickly pear -- Just a sample, IIRC

49. Umeboshi
48. Abalone
46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

45. Spaetzle -- Old Bavaria Haus in New Westminster, BC makes a good one

42. Poutine -- I'm Canadian: we get this at Burger King, KFC,
McDonald's, etc.

41. Carob chips -- was told it would be good for me. HA!

36. Durian -- I love durian ice cream

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake -- All available at
the PNE in Vancouver

30. Gazpacho -- when done right, this is awesome. I think of you,
Arnold Rimmer! (salutes)

24. Hostess Fruit Pie -- Never again

20. Tom yum -- I order it everytime I eat Thai

19. Eggs Benedict

18. Pocky
14. Goulash
10. Spam
6. Mole poblano
5. Bagel and lox
3. Polenta

All in all, I've lead a very safe culinary life. :-)

Derek Janssen

Sep 7, 2008, 8:04:39 PM9/7/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:

> http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/

Okay, I'll play along, and disillusion myself about the rare-foodie I
thought I was:

- 100. Venison
(Considered stewable only, as most game meat isn't fit for grilling)
- 94. Cheese fondue
- 91. Baba ghanoush
(Very easy to confuse with the common hummus, except to those who've
tried it)
- 74. Dulce de leche
(Commonly turns up in gourmet-ice-cream flavors)
- 72. Baklava
- 70. Wasabi peas
(Which, fortunately, Trader Joe's serves by the bag)
- 69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
- 62. Gumbo
(Better yet, gumbo in a sourdough bowl, courtesy of Disneyland's New
Orleans Sqare...)
- 67. Sauerkraut
(Recently been on a kick for making bread-machine rye with sauerkraut as
a main ingredient)
- 53. Eel
(Never mind the fish, must be tasted for Unagi Sauce)
- 52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
(NOT your average Dunkin's)
- 34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cakeFried dough is a
North American food associated with outdoor food stands in carnivals,
amusement parks, fairs, rodeos, and seaside resorts.
(Especially at Disney Epcot, which offers every imaginable international
variation on fried dough...)
- 32. Fried plantain
- 30. Gazpacho
- 3. Polenta
(Cooked in chicken broth with spinach and garlic, and you'll never go
back to mashed potatoes) :)

Derek Janssen (what, no ground Ostrich?)
eja...@verizon.net

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 7, 2008, 8:46:06 PM9/7/08
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 6:15pm-0400, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invali...:

Does that mean I've already died 100 times? ;-)
(Smells not so nice, but inside is fine.)

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 7, 2008, 8:55:22 PM9/7/08
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 11:20pm-0000, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>:

> Brian Christiansen wrote:
> > http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
> >
> > 70. Wasabi peas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wasabi_peas.jpg
>
> Done that. My co-workers when they come back from Asia on vacation almost
> always bring these back. At first, I wasn't so sure about them, now I love
> them.
>
> > 55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
> > may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
> > improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
> > really just dont wanna risk it.
>
> As Anthony Burdain once said, it's just an ordinary fish. The only kick is
> the risk of dying.

The small amount of poison is supposed to give your mouth
the tingling sensation. Then again, that's what hot pepper is for.

> > 18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
> > with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
> > I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
> > significantly different from a Twix Bar.
>
> Up here in Vancouver, Pocky was so mainstream even the white kids had it in
> their lunches. I still laugh my ass off at otaku who think Pocky is "exotic"
> or special.

I grew up with it. To me, it's just junk food. ^_^

> > 16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
> > "kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
> > raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
> > Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
> > there only in the most expensive steakhouses.
>
> Supposedly it is exported, but at hideously expensive prices. I recall seeing
> on the Food network that the Belagio in Las Vegas imports it and sells it for
> hideous amounts of money.

Lots of Japanese like the Yoshinoya Gyudon:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2345.html
http://www.twentymile.com/Cookbook/beefbowl.htm

Laters. =)

Stan

Travers Naran

Sep 7, 2008, 9:01:40 PM9/7/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> Lots of Japanese like the Yoshinoya Gyudon:
>
> http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2345.html
> http://www.twentymile.com/Cookbook/beefbowl.htm

And supposedly, American beef makes the best gyudon.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 7, 2008, 9:08:15 PM9/7/08
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:04am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

How about Rocky Mt Oysters, chicken intestines/feet, silkworms? Dogs? ;)

Aje RavenStar

Sep 7, 2008, 9:06:53 PM9/7/08

I read through it. 57 items I will admit to. This being Houston, things
with Vietnamese, Greek, Cajun, Tex-Mex, Indian, and some others are common
items around here. I'm not going to post my list, but will make a few
observations. Krispy Kreme was just the regional donut chain in the
mid-70's when I was finishing up high school. Never considered them a big
deal. There's far better here in Houston, even chain ones.

The gumbo description is completely off. The base is not a broth, it is
roux, which is 1 cup flour browned in 1 cup of oil to the desired shade of
brown.

Galen

Sep 7, 2008, 9:42:58 PM9/7/08

Travers Naran

Sep 7, 2008, 10:26:52 PM9/7/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> How about Rocky Mt Oysters, chicken intestines/feet, silkworms? Dogs? ;)

Rocky Mt. Oysters also go by the name of Prairie Oysters. Reminds me of
this joke:
http://jokes.contentavailable.com/i/Miscellaneous/Matador_Special/11123/

Chicken Feet -- due to living in Vancouver and having many, many
Cantonese friends, I have had to try this no less than three times.
Always ending the same way: with me spitting it out and gargling with
tea to get rid of the taste.

BTW, did you know America produces almost all of the chicken feet
consumed in China?

bobbie sellers

Sep 7, 2008, 10:28:12 PM9/7/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:
> http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>
> 70. Wasabi peas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wasabi_peas.jpg
>
> 55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
> may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
> improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
> really just dont wanna risk it.
>
> 53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.

The bbqed ell I have had is delicious.

> 49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these, even
> if they are not poisonous.

Sour but edible/

> 38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
> oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
> from.

Villain or monster in Sailor Moon.

> 18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
> with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
> I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
> significantly different from a Twix Bar.

Can't eat wheat products. No Pocky for yours truely.

> 16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
> "kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
> raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
> Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
> there only in the most expensive steakhouses.
>
> No mention, however, of Roman Manju or Florentine Senbei.
>
> Brian Christiansen

later
bliss at california dot com

--
bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

Formerly of AWest - San Francisco's Amiga Users Group

Social Visionary And Twisted Mystic

an exhausted former nurse in San Francisco

bliss at california dot com

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

David Johnston

Sep 7, 2008, 11:21:59 PM9/7/08
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:54:45 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
>oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
>from.

Kaolinite was a Sailor Moon villain. One of Tomoe's crew I think.

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 7, 2008, 11:58:35 PM9/7/08
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
<Snip>

Finally! A fluff topic on something close to my heart. (AND
Stomach!)

100. Venison
I'm with Derek on this one. Stewed is the way to go. (With smoking
being a close second.)

98. Huevos rancheros
Oddly enough, this one is diner fare 'round the Philly area.

96. Crocodile
Tried a tail steak once, in one of those "Exotic Meat" sampler steak
packs. Tasted... much like chicken, if a bit firmer.

94. Cheese fondue
Not much to say here, other than Melted Cheese = Heaven.

93. Carp
Like Hakase, I'm pretty fond of fishing, if a bit less purist or
intense than he. Ain't nothing quite like a smoked carp!

92. Borscht
Know of it, eaten it, COOKED IT. :-)

91. Baba ghanoush
Know of it, eaten it, COOKED IT FROM MY OWN GARDEN EGGPLANTS. :-)

90. Calamari
Squid used to be a staple around here. Much less so now that I suffer
from more than occasional gout.

89. Pho
No shortage of Vietnamese places around here either. (Pho Hoa at the
corner of 6th and Washignton for Philly folks.)

88. PB&J sandwich
C'mon. For an north-american audience should this even count?

86. Hot dog from a street cart
In at least 5 difference cities. I'll bet at least one of them was
even real beef!

83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
I've tasted a little pomegranite wine. Does that count?

82. Steamed pork buns
Know of it, eaten it, COOKED IT. (But not from my own pig.)

81. Pistachio ice cream
Made this one too, but it wasn't appreciably better than what I could
get at the store.

80. Heirloom tomatoes
Heck, we grew four varieties of heirlooms this summer, and that's just
the tomatoes. Ask me about my lettuce in another two months.

79. Fresh wild berries
Raspberries, blueberries, huckleberries.

78. Foie gras
Philly has a restaurant week twice a year. This includes the often
expensive french places like Le Bec Fin.

77. Rice and beans
Know of it, eaten it, cooked it. Nothing special though.

76. Brawn, or head cheese

Eww. But yeah,I've had it.

75. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
Also known as Habanero. We grow these too.

74. Dulce de leche
I've had this in candied form. Spanish occupation of the Philippines
and all that.

73. Oysters
Umm, again, is this supposed to be rare?

72. Baklava
Know of it, eaten it, failed miserably at cooking it. Gotta try this
one again!

70. Wasabi peas
I've eaten plenty of these. (Thank you Kasugai!) But I've never
tried to make them.

69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

Served at Panera. I could probably make this, but baking bread is a
special occasion here. (Labour intensive!)

68. Salted lassi
EWW. Went back to the sugared varieties.

67. Sauerkraut
Know of it, eaten it, made it from my own cabbage. :-)

66. Root beer float
MMMMMMMMMMMM!

62. Gumbo
That thickener can be roux. Or for discerning types, it's OKRA. (From
the garden.)

61. Oxtail
In Sinigang, a Filipino tamarind based sour soup.

60. Curried goat
Not bad. I liked the Cabritos too. (Thanks Aje!)

59. Whole insects
For kicks. Fried locust. Was crunchy!

57. Goat’s milk
Was a nice change of pace while I was still drinking milk.

54. Chicken tikka masala
Plenty of Indian joints around here too.

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

Still prefer Dunkins. But they are nice fresh off the line...

50. Prickly pear
Had one just this week!

50. Prickly pear
Reminds me of a story. I was working as the store game specialist at
a local hobby shop. Mostly playing MTG or WH40K with the local kids.
Didn't pay much, but it was a nice way to relax and make a bit of
scratch on the side.

I would bring in some more "exotic" treats for the little brats every
now and then. (To put it another way, most of em were white enough to
make Wonderbread question it's lineage.) Tamarind candies, candied
lotus, even some homemade ichigo daifuku.

One week, they were being particularly noisy and unruly, and I decided
it was time to get some revenge. Enter the dried pickled umeboshi!

Now ya see, the kids wouldn't all be tehre right when we started at
3:30. They'd sorta trickle in on twos and threes till they all got
there by 4:15ish.

First to arrive were Jules and Cusker.

Me: Dude, you gotta try these! They're great!

J: (Skeptical) Umm... you sure?

C: (Too trusting!) Abe always has great food. C'mon!

Me: (Hands over some umeboshi) **chuckles**

C&J: **PUCKER** **SPIT** WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

Me: (Laughing) Dried pickled plums. Now when Matt and the twins get
here, shutup and don't say a word!

So we proceed to get Matt. And the twins. And the Yugioh Kids. And
at this point, the gig is up cuz I can't really shut them ALL up from
laughing.

And then, I walk up from to go help with the register, and don't quite
get back to the back room for some time.

In fact, my manager gets back there first.

And what do the little monsters do? They feed him Umeboshi.

I'm shocked I didn't lose my job!

47. Paneer
Again, Indian restaurants.

46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

Why is this on the list?

42. Poutine
Mmmmmm. Canadian fries!

40. S’mores
Know of em. Eaten em. Made them over my own campfire.

36. Durian
Smells like hell, tastes like heaven.

35. Frogs’ legs
As a chicken substitue of all things. And that's exactly what it
tasted like.

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

God bless the Pennsylvania Dutch, and all their tasty treats!

32. Fried plantain
Again, from the Philippines. I hear it popular in latin america too.

30. Gazpacho
I don't recall bread in any of my Gazpacho recipies. I'll have to
seek one of them out!

27. Gjetost, or brunost
I'll admit to being a fan of odd cheeses. This was actually quite
good!

24. Hostess Fruit Pie
Nothing to write home about here. But since this is Philly, we do
Tastykake here.

23. Snail
Rubbery. But I'm told it isn't supposed to be, so perhaps we just had
a bad chef.

20. Tom yum
HAH! I've run a Thai restaurant! Tom Yum. Tom Kah. Lord knows how
many flavours of curry. And best of all, Thai Tea!

19. Eggs Benedict
Diner fare.

18. Pocky
Not so cheap junkfood.

15. Hare
Again, stewed. I've had squirrel too.

14. Goulash
Made it. Dunno how authentic tasting it was, but it was tasty.

13. Flowers
I ate plenty of honeysuckle as a child. That probably explains a lot.

12. Horse
Again, I had this back on the island.

10. Spam

9. Soft shell crab
Pulled from the Chesapeake, fried up good.

7. Catfish
Eaten it? Heck, I'm FARMING them right now. I've got 60 channel
catfish in a 2800 gallon pool in the back yard next to the greenhouse.
I'm in the process of setting up a aquaponics system. :-)

5. Bagel and lox
In NYC. In a Jewish deli. On the upper-east side.

3. Polenta
Fried. In olive oil. With Garlic. And bitter broccoli. (Lots of
italians around here too.)

1. Snake
Fried. Yeah, it really does taste like chicken.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 8, 2008, 12:00:11 AM9/8/08
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 02:26:52 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
>>
>> How about Rocky Mt Oysters, chicken intestines/feet, silkworms? Dogs? ;)
>
>Rocky Mt. Oysters also go by the name of Prairie Oysters. Reminds me of
>this joke:
>http://jokes.contentavailable.com/i/Miscellaneous/Matador_Special/11123/
>
>Chicken Feet -- due to living in Vancouver and having many, many
>Cantonese friends, I have had to try this no less than three times.
>Always ending the same way: with me spitting it out and gargling with
>tea to get rid of the taste.

What's wrong with the taste of chicken feet? I've always found the
texture to be the real stumbling block.

>BTW, did you know America produces almost all of the chicken feet
>consumed in China?

Well at least we're exporting something! :-)
--
Abraham Evangelista

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 8, 2008, 1:52:04 AM9/8/08
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>
>70. Wasabi peas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wasabi_peas.jpg
>
>55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
>may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
>improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
>really just dont wanna risk it.
>
>53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.
>
>49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these, even
>if they are not poisonous.
>
>38. Kaolin: Described as "some sort of edible clay," but the name looks
>oddly familiar, but I just can't place exactlty whose or what show it is
>from.
>
>18. Pocky: The article describes chocolate pocky ("a biscuit stick coated
>with chocolate"), but what is pictured is actually the strawberry (I think).
>I've tried it, and except for not having the caramel, it did not taste
>significantly different from a Twix Bar.

Anime Expo 2006: while conversing in a group, I was offered some,
and gladly accepted.

>16. Kobe beef: My impression was that, at least in the US, you could get
>"kobe-style" beef which is the wagyu cattle cross-bred with angus, and
>raised in probably something close to the traditional manner, but that real
>Kobe beef is not exported and cannot be gotten outside of Japan, and even
>there only in the most expensive steakhouses.
>
>No mention, however, of Roman Manju or Florentine Senbei.

I'm surprised they didn't mention cuy (guinea pig, Peruvian style),
certainly with all the Latin-American dishes mentioned. Speaking of
which . . .:

90. Calamari: Squid's the word! I've loved it since I was little.
Italian's ok, but Peruvian style's the best; if at a Peruvian
restaurant, order the "Chicharron de Calamar," it's usually listed in
the menu as an appetizer.

88. PB&J sandwich: It's good because it's so simple; oh, and
strawberry, always.

86. Hot dog from a street cart: Anime Expo 2002. There was a guy
with a cart selling, I was hungry, I payed, I enjoyed.

77. Rice and beans: Haven't had it in a long time, but I've had it.

74. Dulce de leche: Called "Manjar Blanco" in Peru. I've had it hot
with crepes, cold in alfajores, cold in mil-hojas, colder in kinkon,
as an ice cream flavor, hard as a candy, and just by itself as a
cream. I've even had home-made! (simple "recipe" involving a
pressure cooker, a can of condensed-sweetened milk, and five hours
making sure the thing doesn't explode)

69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl: Anime Expo 2006: The "luck" of
staying the Queen Mary when the other hotels were booked meant eating
at their main restaurant, where this happened to be on the menu. I'd
had clam chowder countless times, but not like this. Worth it!

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut: A Kripy Kreme had opened
at CSUN, I'd heard about the Wonder Doughnuts from the East Coast, so
I had to order one. Meh, I'll stick to Winchell's/Yum-Yum . . .

46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal: Looong time ago, when I didn't care so
much about my health, or decent-tasting fast food burgers. I'm a full
In-n-Out man now!

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake: Not just
churros, but filled churros (dulce de leche!) all the time in Peru as
a kid. Funnel cake when I visited my stepsister in Colorado in 1996,
specifically at a water park; so rich and fatty it nearly made me
sick.

32. Fried plantain: Have it almost every day as a side dish. Pretty
good, especially when just the right conbination crispy and soggy.

24. Hostess Fruit Pie: Cherry. I just wondered what it tasted like.
Let's just say . . . never again.

23. Snail: On the menu at a fancy restuarant I happened to be invited
to, so I figured what the hell. Served on a specially shaped bowl
instead of the traditional shells; covered in melted butter to the
point of saturation, it reminded me of scallops, or cockles.

11. Criollo (pronounced "cree-oh-yo"): Literally ate it every day of
my youth, and pretty much still do. It's what people think of when
they think of Peruvian cuisine, and what's usually served in Peruvian
restaurants. It's called by many the best-tasting food in the world,
because . . . it's THAT. DAMN. GOOD.

7. Catfish: Served as main course in the CSUN dorm cafeteria on
occassion. I had it breaded; it was fish alright, but something about
it made it different, kinda hard to explain.

3. Polenta: Surprisingly reminicent of pudding in it's texture, but
certainly not in taste. As someone who loves corn-based dishes
(particularly conrmeal-based dishes), this is a favorite! I hear
grits are very similar, and hope to eventually get a taste.

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 8, 2008, 1:53:09 AM9/8/08

Derek Janssen

Sep 8, 2008, 2:09:34 AM9/8/08
Abraham Evangelista wrote:

> 5. Bagel and lox
> In NYC. In a Jewish deli. On the upper-east side.

Which adds to the list:
100A. Chicken Matzoh-ball Soup. Was in school in NYC before I ever came
in contact with it.

Derek Janssen (it couldn't hoit?)
eja...@verizon.net

Aje RavenStar

Sep 8, 2008, 8:23:29 AM9/8/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:54:45 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
> 7. Catfish: Served as main course in the CSUN dorm cafeteria on
> occassion. I had it breaded; it was fish alright, but something about
> it made it different, kinda hard to explain.

Catfish is a bottom feeder, so the flavor is described as 'murkier' or
'dirtier' than most fish. Especially true for wild caught ones. The flavor
has been slightly mellowed or toned down in the farm raised catfish most
stores carry now, where the diet is carefully controlled. Either kind is
best with cornmeal batter, accomplied by hushpuppies with finally minced
onion in 'em.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Travers Naran

Sep 8, 2008, 1:56:44 PM9/8/08
On Sep 7, 9:00 pm, Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 02:26:52 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Chicken Feet -- due to living in Vancouver and having many, many
> >Cantonese friends, I have had to try this no less than three times.
> >Always ending the same way: with me spitting it out and gargling with
> >tea to get rid of the taste.
>
> What's wrong with the taste of chicken feet? I've always found the
> texture to be the real stumbling block.

That gelatinous cartilage leaves a nasty, sticky taste in ones mouth.
And yeah, the texture does NOT help. Although that licorice sauce
does help a bit.

> >BTW, did you know America produces almost all of the chicken feet
> >consumed in China?
>
> Well at least we're exporting something! :-)

Heh. The headline to that blog post was something very similar.

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 8, 2008, 6:19:34 PM9/8/08

Depends on the catfish really. The channel cats I'm raising right now
are generally opportunistic feeders, but in the grand scheme of the
aquatic foodchain, they (Along with the related, and often larger!!)
occupy a distinctly predatory niche.

What you will find is that larger catfish tend to exhibit that taste
more strongly than the smaller ones. Stick to the smaller ones with
mostly white flesh, and you'll end up with a much lighter flavor.

Antonio: Fried and breaded is the traditional American method of
serving this fish. I've also had it in the occasional soup. Never
seen it broiled, baked, or grilled like I have with most other fish.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Rob Kelk

Sep 8, 2008, 8:34:04 PM9/8/08
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/

Since everyone else is mentioning what they've actually eaten from that
list...

96. Crocodile
I've eaten alligator - is that close enough?

94. Cheese fondue
Yummy! Be sure to use a genuine Swiss emmenthal, though.

90. Calamari
Breaded, deep-fried, or boiled in a soup - as long as it isn't
overcooked, it's tasty.

89. Pho
Yeah, I've eaten soup - I just said so, regarding squid. (What? Oh.)
Yeah, I've eaten vietnamese soup...

88. PB&J sandwich
I like it with crunchy PB and grape J. Haven't had one in over a
decade, though.

87. Aloo gobi
It's okay, I guess.

86. Hot dog from a street cart
A.k.a. a "steamer dog". I prefer them grilled from a street cart, but
steamed is okay in a pinch.

83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

I've had a few different Belgian fruit beers - is that close enough?

82. Steamed pork buns
Every time I get dim sum for takeout, along with an order of shrimp
shumai. They keep and travel so well...

80. Heirloom tomatoes
I remember when they were just called "tomatoes". I'd say that modern
so-called tomatoes taste like cardboard, but that insults cardboard;
these are what tomatoes are supposed to taste like.

79. Fresh wild berries
You can't get berries fresher than "picked yourself five seconds ago",
and that's my favourite type of blueberry.

78. Foie gras
Both whole and as a pate.

77. Rice and beans
Call it "rice and peas", and it's the side dish I have when I eat at any
of the Caribbean restaurants in town.

73. Oysters
Not my favourite shellfish... They're okay, I guess.

69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

I've got friends from the Maritimes. Of course I've had this.

67. Sauerkraut
I prefer the type made from red cabbage, cooked with sausage meat
crumbled into it...

66. Root beer float
You can get these at A&W, around here. Not bad for mass-produced...

65. Cognac with a fat cigar
I'm allergic to tobacco. However, I do keep a decanter of cognac in the
liquor cabinet, and need to refill it once or twice a year.

56. Single malt whisky
Can't stand the stuff. But I've tried it.

54. Chicken tikka masala
It's okay. I prefer rogan josh.

53. Eel
My favourite sushi topping.

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

Meh - even Tim Horton's current mass-produced glazed donut is better
than a Krispy Kreme.

... and the server just lost its connection to its SQL server, so I have
no idea what's in the other half of the list. I'll come back to this
later.

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Travers Naran

Sep 8, 2008, 8:38:50 PM9/8/08
Justin wrote:

> Travers Naran wrote on [Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:20:03 GMT]:
>> I'd be more impressed by people who eat natto. And yes, I have. It
>> makes limburgher seem tasty. >_<;
>
> I have some Natto in the freezer

Good grief, man! Call the hazmat squad stat and have that disposed of! :-O

Rob Kelk

Sep 8, 2008, 8:56:16 PM9/8/08

It's later...

46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

Oh, gods... When I was young and foolish, I ate at McDonalds. Now I
prefer to go someplace that serves food.

45. Spaetzle
Beside a good schnitzel, with sauerkraut... yummy!

43. Beer above 8% ABV
You can get 8.5% beer at the grocery stores in Quebec, just across the
river. I've tried a few but didn't care for them.

42. Poutine
Speaking of things you can get in Quebec, just across the river...
Tasty but fattening.

41. Carob chips
I used to like this, back when I liked a Big Mac meal...

40. S’mores
The classic campfire snack. (Try one with a fresh-picked berry
sometime... Extra-yummy!)

35. Frogs’ legs
They *almost* taste like chicken. Even as a child, I could tell the
difference.

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

The generic term is "fried pastry". We call them "beaver tails" around
here - haven't had one in a few years. (Must remember to get one at the
food court of the mall nearest work sometime soon.)

24. Hostess Fruit Pie
Even when I was young, I preferred a Big Mac Meal... <gag>

23. Snail
Most of the fancier restaurants in town serve escargot or some variation
thereof. (Supposed-Italian-style, with tomato in the butter, was odd.)

19. Eggs Benedict
Tasty but fattening (because of the eggs and hollandaise sauce).

18. Pocky
They sell it in mainstream grocery stores around here. (BTW, this
year's fancy Pocky flavour is blueberry. Very Tasty!)

15. Hare
It was okay, but nothing to write home about.

14. Goulash
This is a good one-pot meal for a cold winter's day...

10. Spam
Blah. Even canned corned beef (which is nothing like real corned beef)
is better than SPAM.

9. Soft shell crab
I'd rather have the SPAM...

7. Catfish
I'd rather have the soft-shelled crab...

5. Bagel and lox
From a Jewish deli, with cream cheese and raw onion. Good, honest food.

2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
Some of the best coffee in the world. Hawai'ian Kona is just as good,
and (around here) 40% the price, though.

And that's it. Looking over the list, I think I've been good to my
palate...

Aje RavenStar

Sep 8, 2008, 9:36:22 PM9/8/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> 18. Pocky
> They sell it in mainstream grocery stores around here. (BTW, this
> year's fancy Pocky flavour is blueberry. Very Tasty!)

All I've ever found locally in Houston is Chocolate, Strawberry, and Tomato.
Envy!

Well, since you posted yours, guess I'll put mine up.

. Venison - regularly. Inlaws are hunters, have good luck at least every
other year. I've helped them with mixing the saugage (for pan and stuffed &
smoked links), generally getting a pound or two, have made kolaches with it,
and joined them for venison briskets now and then.

98. Huevos rancheros - Of course. I'm in the heart of Tex-Mex country. Was
introduced to it in a hole-in-the-wall place called Senior Frogs a short
walk from where I lived in Golden, Colorado, though (Denver Metro area had
the largest Hispanic population outside of LA at the time).

97. Steak tartare - Yep, occaisional favorite of my dad's.

96. Crocodile - Does gator count? (oops, you beat me to it, Rob. I've had
gator tenders at several places, both Cajun. You?)

95. Black pudding - yes, and never again.

94. Cheese fondue - I was there for the 70's fad period of this.

93. Carp - Yes. Usually personally caught.

90. Calamari - I'm part Italian. Of course.

89. Pho - Hai. Large Vietnamese population here in Houston. 90 % of
factory floor workers at my last job were Vietnamese. Pho is regularly
discussed and best places debated in houston.eats newsgroup.

88. PB&J sandwich - the main vegetarian item on mine and many other's menus.

87. Aloo gobi - Probably. I like Indian buffets, and the picture on this
one looks very familar. I'm generally paying most of my attention to the
vindaloo and tandoori though.

86. Hot dog from a street cart - Yes. One of the few things you'll not find
in Houston, restaurant lobby too strong. Travel is vital!

83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - made my own from
handpicked wild blackberries and blueberries. Yeah baby!

79. Fresh wild berries - see above

77. Rice and beans - mostly in form of red beans and rice. Both come with
most Tex-Mex or Mexican plates as well, but not mixed together.

74. Dulce de leche - Tex-Mex country again. Ice cream, cookies, flan.

73. Oysters - Cajun big in this area too. Oyster dressing, fried oysters
best.

72. Baklava - Houston's annual Greek festival is in October, but gyros and
baklava found year 'round.

70. Wasabi peas - on desk right next to Pocky

69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - good, but does not work with
Manhattan style

67. Sauerkraut - and I will never forgive them for shoving it down my
throat.

66. Root beer float - yes.

65. Cognac with a fat cigar - Yes, and with scotch too. cigar part
overrated (even though I smoked those regularly for a few years anyway).

63. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot - yeah, but I prefer straight shots. Don't
really care for vodka anyway, won't allow it in the house.

62. Gumbo - Cajun area again. Dunno what they're talking about, the base
for gumbo is roux, not broth. Make roux by browning 1 cup flower in
1 cup oil to your desired shade, toss with andouillette (or your preference
spicy) saugage, chicken, crawfish, into a pot of boiling water, simmer at
low heat, sprinkle in some file gumbo five minutes before serving it up.

60. Curried goat - what AEG said.

57. Goat's milk

56. Single malt whisky

53. Eel

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - They were the regional donut
chain in the Carolinas in the mid-70's when I was finishing high school. We
didn't think of them as anything special.

50. Prickly pear - another regional thing

47. Paneer - Indian buffets again

43. Beer above 8% ABV - ho ho ho!

41. Carob chips - and carob coated peanuts, etc.

40. S'mores

39. Sweetbreads -

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

33. Haggis

32. Fried plantain

31. Chitterlings, or andouillette

30. Gazpacho

27. Gjetost, or brunost - this was biggest surprise on the list. I've had
this at a winery's festival in College Station, TX, didn't know name.
Wonderful and somewhat nutty flavor.

24. Hostess Fruit Pie - pecan mainly

23. Snail - regretfully.

19. Eggs Benedict

18. Pocky

15. Hare

14. Goulash. The real deal, not my mom's 'version' (aka the leftover
dumping ground). 's ok.

13. Flowers

10. Spam. Lived on it first six months out of the house. There are ways
it's tolerable. My claim of originating the recipe for grilled spam with
vegamite reduction sauce is a jest from back when I was cooking backhouse at
a fancy caterer's - as far as any of ya'll know, muhahahah.

9. Soft shell crab - eh, 's ok.

7. Catfish

6. Mole poblano

5. Bagel and lox

4. Lobster Thermidor

2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

1. Snake - Rattler, of course, self harvested, wrapped around stick and
smoked over open fire. The things you'll do when you've forgotten to toss
the self-opening key can of Spam in the backpack...

Rob Kelk

Sep 8, 2008, 10:01:22 PM9/8/08
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:36:22 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>> 18. Pocky
>> They sell it in mainstream grocery stores around here. (BTW, this
>> year's fancy Pocky flavour is blueberry. Very Tasty!)
>>
>All I've ever found locally in Houston is Chocolate, Strawberry, and Tomato.
>Envy!

Check the local anime store. At least one of the anime distributors
also carries Japanese snack foods... at a premium price.

<snip>

>96. Crocodile - Does gator count? (oops, you beat me to it, Rob. I've had
>gator tenders at several places, both Cajun. You?)

Likewise, and likewise.

<snip>

Hand-of-Omega

Sep 8, 2008, 10:54:31 PM9/8/08
Pan! ^__~

(Ok, that thread is so ancient, that even I hope no one remembers it,
so sue me...)

Dex

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 9, 2008, 12:32:14 AM9/9/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:54:45 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
>> <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>> Since everyone else is mentioning what they've actually eaten from that
>> list...

Sure, I'll play:

100: Venison. Tried it 6 times, every time the people with it insisted
it was good, it's NASTY. Tastes like a decent meat for a moment, then
hideous backtaste comes up and smacks you. Ugh.

98: Huevos rancheros: Okay. Nothing to write home about.

94: Cheese Fondue: Tried it. It's ... cheese. With stuff. I'm not a big
cheese fan.

92: Borscht: It's okay. Or it sucks if badly made.

91: Baba Ghanoush: The only way I've eaten Eggplant that's even
partially tolerable. There's an excellent Middle-Eastern restaurant
about a hundred yards from me which serves this plus wonderful homemade
hummus...

90: Calamari: "You see here the Death Star..." Oh wait, that's MON
Calamari. In any case, squiddage! It's great! Especially the tentacles;
the rings are just okay.

89: Pho: It's... soup. I'm not a soup fan.

88: PBJ: Ugh. I like peanut butter. I like many jellies. They do NOT
belong together.

(87 I have not eaten, and I won't, either. Cauliflower is one of the
abominations against mankind.)

86: Hotdog from a street cart: Hasn't everyone?

(83: I do not drink... wine...)

82: Mmm. Pork buns.

81: I prefer ginger or green tea. Pistachio is just eeh.

80: I GROW Heirloom Tomatoes.

79: Ditto fresh berries. Pretty much wild -- we didn't plant them, they
just started growing there.

(78: Not as far as I know. This was the stuff they kept using on Iron
Chef and I didn't realize it was Foie Gras, because I kept hearing it as
"Filagra".)

77: Can't avoid Rice and Beans in a mexican menu. Wish I could, it's a
total waste of plate space for me.

75: Scotch Bonnet Pepper: Yeah, it's hot. So's Dave's Insanity. I use
scotch bonnet habaneros in my Inner Beauty sauce.

74: Dulce de Leche: Had that. Prefer it as an ice cream flavor.

73: Oysters: yeah. They're not nearly as good as belly clams.

72: I love Baklava. Unfortunately I can't eat it or I lose the lining of
my mouth. They should make it with almonds.

70: Wasabi Peas! I have some of these around most of the time.

69: I've had lots of clam chowder, but not in a sourdough bowl. I don't
particularly like sourdough.

68: I've had sweet lassi, not salted, and the thought of it salted makes
my stomach curdle.

(67: I wouldn't touch sauerkraut with a 40-foot pole. It should be banned.)

66: Root Beer Float. Yeah, tried that. I prefer the ice cream and root
beer separate.

(65: No way in hell. It has alcohol, which means it sucks automatically,
and then you want me to commit suicide by deliberately precipitating an
allergic asthmatic reaction)

(63: Way to ruin perfectly good Jell-o, guys. Eew.)

62: Gumbo: Good soup, as far as soups go. Which except for Clam Chowder
isn't very far.

59: Whole Insects: Fried grasshoppers and a couple other types. Haven't
had those fried mealworms I saw elsewhere.

(58: Phaal: Sounds good, I will seek it out. Hot is good.)

57: Goat's milk: it's milk. From a goat. I don't like milk, so this
didn't work out well either.

(56: It's ALCOHOL again. Why should I try this crap?)

(55: Yes, Fugu sounds cool. No, I won't play with neurotoxins as flavor
sensations.)

54: Chicken Tikka Masala: Mmmm, one of my favorite Indian dishes.

53: Mmmm. Eeel. tasty.

52: Krispy Kreme: no big deal. They're donuts. My local Price Chopper
makes MUCH better doughnuts.

51: Sea Urchin: I've tried uni. Not my thing. My wife likes it though.

50: Prickly pear: tried it. It's okay, but you REALLY have to be careful
like it says. You do NOT want to swallow those little spines. Ever.

47: I *make* my own paneer for palak paneer.

(46: I worked at McDonald's. I wouldn't have a Big Mac if you paid me.)

(44: It's ALCOHOL again! Why?)

(43: Alcohol of a particular rotted grain extraction!)

40: S'mores: very tasty. Not very dietetic.

(36: Durian: I'm sorry, but if Andrew Zimmer [Mr. "Bizarre Foods"
himself] cannot stomach it, I have no intention of even APPROACHING it
without a flamethrower.)

34: Funnel cake, fried dough, etc. -- yes, tried all the variants,
they're all good. Fat and sugar on a starch carrier, what's not to like?

(33: I'm smart enough NOT to try Haggis, having watched the reaction of
other people trying it.)

30: Gazpacho: Indeed. My wife makes a very good gazpacho, too.

(28: POISONOUS ALCOHOL and they want us to drink it.)

27: Brunost/Gjetost: I'm half Norwegian, yes, I've tried it. It's cheese.

(25: Now it's CHINESE ALCOHOL.)

24: Hostess Fruit Pie: Oh yes. One of the great sins of childhood. Mmm.
Especially the cherry ones.

23: Snail: they're not bad, but clams are better.

22: Lapsang souchong: I'm not much of a tea drinker, but I've tried
this. It does have a strong smoky note to it.

(21: INTERNATIONAL ALCOHOL! What IS it with all these non-foods in a
food list?)

18: Pocky. Well, yes, of course. In a dozen varieties at least. Pocky is
good. Pocky is great. Pocky is a reason to live!

16: Kobe beef: Yes, three times. And yes, it really IS that good.

13: Flowers: several types. Not particularly tasty, but decorative.

10: Spam! Hasn't EVERYONE had Spam at least once?

9: Soft-shell crab: yes, fried. Not bad, but my wife likes it more than
I do.

7: Catfish: yes, I've prepared catfish several ways. My sons like it
Cajun style.

6: Mole poblano: yes, I've had this.

3: Polenta: yes, just this evening.

2: Jamaica Blue Mountain: yes. The only coffee that approaches TASTING
the way it SMELLS. No, even Hawaiian Kona doesn't approach it. It's the
only coffee worth drinking. Alas that it's like $30+ a pound.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 9, 2008, 12:27:09 AM9/9/08
wrote:

>On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:54:45 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"

><brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>
>Since everyone else is mentioning what they've actually eaten from that
>list...
>
>96. Crocodile
>I've eaten alligator - is that close enough?
>
>94. Cheese fondue
>Yummy! Be sure to use a genuine Swiss emmenthal, though.
>
>90. Calamari
>Breaded, deep-fried, or boiled in a soup - as long as it isn't
>overcooked, it's tasty.

Too long and you get rubber. :-(

>89. Pho
>Yeah, I've eaten soup - I just said so, regarding squid. (What? Oh.)
>Yeah, I've eaten vietnamese soup...

Pho Ga. MMMM! Actually, I'm back on beef again, so I guess I need to

>88. PB&J sandwich
>I like it with crunchy PB and grape J. Haven't had one in over a
>decade, though.
>
>87. Aloo gobi
>It's okay, I guess.
>
>86. Hot dog from a street cart
>A.k.a. a "steamer dog". I prefer them grilled from a street cart, but
>steamed is okay in a pinch.

Do the carts in Canada have grills? Our are almost all the steam
tray type.

>83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
>I've had a few different Belgian fruit beers - is that close enough?
>
>82. Steamed pork buns
>Every time I get dim sum for takeout, along with an order of shrimp
>shumai. They keep and travel so well...
>
>80. Heirloom tomatoes
>I remember when they were just called "tomatoes". I'd say that modern
>so-called tomatoes taste like cardboard, but that insults cardboard;
>these are what tomatoes are supposed to taste like.

I really have to wonder if it isn't just the mass production methods
that seem to sap all the flavor out of store bought tomatoes.

I've saved seed from some of the store bought varieties, (Romas and
Beefsteaks in this case) and while they didn't have quite the bite nor
the sweetness of my garden toms, they were far superior to the parent
fruits.

>79. Fresh wild berries
>You can't get berries fresher than "picked yourself five seconds ago",
>and that's my favourite type of blueberry.

Heh. We liked blueberries enough to plant bushes on the side of the
house. In contrast, while tasty, Raspberry plants are inconvenient
enough to have been mostly banished from the back yard. (There's
plenty in the nearby woods anyway.)

>78. Foie gras
>Both whole and as a pate.
>
>77. Rice and beans
>Call it "rice and peas", and it's the side dish I have when I eat at any
>of the Caribbean restaurants in town.
>
>73. Oysters
>Not my favourite shellfish... They're okay, I guess.
>
>69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
>I've got friends from the Maritimes. Of course I've had this.

Red or white?

>67. Sauerkraut
>I prefer the type made from red cabbage, cooked with sausage meat
>crumbled into it...

Heh. I've made mostly from green cabbage, and usually to serve with
pork chops or kielbasa.

>66. Root beer float
>You can get these at A&W, around here. Not bad for mass-produced...

Y'all get any of the smaller brands up there? Like Dad's or the like?

>65. Cognac with a fat cigar
>I'm allergic to tobacco. However, I do keep a decanter of cognac in the
>liquor cabinet, and need to refill it once or twice a year.
>
>56. Single malt whisky
>Can't stand the stuff. But I've tried it.
>
>54. Chicken tikka masala
>It's okay. I prefer rogan josh.
>
>53. Eel
>My favourite sushi topping.

Dunno how I missed this entry on the list. I've had eel from the
rivers, and eel from the ocean.

Nail the head to a board, (or nearby tree) slit around the neck, get a
good pair of pliers, and just peel the skin right off.

Chop into bits and fry. No bones, no problems!

--

Abraham Evangelista

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 9, 2008, 12:32:56 AM9/9/08
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:56:16 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

<Snip!>

>>... and the server just lost its connection to its SQL server, so I have
>>no idea what's in the other half of the list. I'll come back to this
>>later.
>
>It's later...
>
>46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
>Oh, gods... When I was young and foolish, I ate at McDonalds. Now I
>prefer to go someplace that serves food.
>
>45. Spaetzle
>Beside a good schnitzel, with sauerkraut... yummy!
>
>43. Beer above 8% ABV
>You can get 8.5% beer at the grocery stores in Quebec, just across the
>river. I've tried a few but didn't care for them.
>
>42. Poutine
>Speaking of things you can get in Quebec, just across the river...
>Tasty but fattening.
>
>41. Carob chips
>I used to like this, back when I liked a Big Mac meal...

Doesn't this fall under the "Guilty pleasures" category?

>40. S’mores
>The classic campfire snack. (Try one with a fresh-picked berry
>sometime... Extra-yummy!)

Dunno. Chocolate and berries just don't work for me. I won't do them
in chocolate fondue either.

Heathen.

>7. Catfish
>I'd rather have the soft-shelled crab...

PHILISTINE! :-p

>5. Bagel and lox
>From a Jewish deli, with cream cheese and raw onion. Good, honest food.
>
>2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
>Some of the best coffee in the world. Hawai'ian Kona is just as good,
>and (around here) 40% the price, though.

Real men drink Barako. And strain it with their TEETH.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kape_Barako

As for Jamaican Blue, can't say I've had it. I like the Kona well
enough though.

--

Abraham Evangelista

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 9, 2008, 12:44:52 AM9/9/08
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>> 18. Pocky
>> They sell it in mainstream grocery stores around here. (BTW, this
>> year's fancy Pocky flavour is blueberry. Very Tasty!)
>>
>All I've ever found locally in Houston is Chocolate, Strawberry, and Tomato.
>Envy!
>
>Well, since you posted yours, guess I'll put mine up.
>
>. Venison - regularly. Inlaws are hunters, have good luck at least every
>other year. I've helped them with mixing the saugage (for pan and stuffed &
>smoked links), generally getting a pound or two, have made kolaches with it,
>and joined them for venison briskets now and then.

My uncle is a doctor in rural West Virginia. When he first got here
from the Philippines in the late 70s, things weren't organized
terribly well out there. He knew some of those patients couldn't pay
him, but he treated them anyway. God bless him; that's just how he
is.(Once he got a billing specialist for medicare and medicaid, things
improved greatly, but that took a number of years.)

Still, good folks find ways to show their gratitude. Stuff started
showing up on his doorstep. Like fresh vegetables and coolers full of
venison on ice. :-) Good folks 'round those parts.

>98. Huevos rancheros - Of course. I'm in the heart of Tex-Mex country. Was
>introduced to it in a hole-in-the-wall place called Senior Frogs a short
>walk from where I lived in Golden, Colorado, though (Denver Metro area had
>the largest Hispanic population outside of LA at the time).
>
>97. Steak tartare - Yep, occaisional favorite of my dad's.
>
>96. Crocodile - Does gator count? (oops, you beat me to it, Rob. I've had
>gator tenders at several places, both Cajun. You?)
>
>95. Black pudding - yes, and never again.
>
>94. Cheese fondue - I was there for the 70's fad period of this.
>
>93. Carp - Yes. Usually personally caught.
>
>90. Calamari - I'm part Italian. Of course.
>
>89. Pho - Hai. Large Vietnamese population here in Houston. 90 % of
>factory floor workers at my last job were Vietnamese. Pho is regularly
>discussed and best places debated in houston.eats newsgroup.
>
>88. PB&J sandwich - the main vegetarian item on mine and many other's menus.
>
>87. Aloo gobi - Probably. I like Indian buffets, and the picture on this
>one looks very familar. I'm generally paying most of my attention to the
>vindaloo and tandoori though.
>
>86. Hot dog from a street cart - Yes. One of the few things you'll not find
>in Houston, restaurant lobby too strong. Travel is vital!

Come to think of it, I didn't see any in San Antonio either. Nor the
ever prevalent Taco-Trucks.

>83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - made my own from
>handpicked wild blackberries and blueberries. Yeah baby!
>
>79. Fresh wild berries - see above
>
>77. Rice and beans - mostly in form of red beans and rice. Both come with
>most Tex-Mex or Mexican plates as well, but not mixed together.

Isn't this more of a Cajun thing anyway? When I think of Mexican
beans, I'm thinking mole.

>74. Dulce de leche - Tex-Mex country again. Ice cream, cookies, flan.
>
>73. Oysters - Cajun big in this area too. Oyster dressing, fried oysters
>best.

Oooooooo... Never thought of frying them!

>72. Baklava - Houston's annual Greek festival is in October, but gyros and
>baklava found year 'round.

Are like half of your pizza shops owned by Greek owners? Seems like
it out here.

>70. Wasabi peas - on desk right next to Pocky
>
>69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - good, but does not work with
>Manhattan style
>
>67. Sauerkraut - and I will never forgive them for shoving it down my
>throat.

Heathen. :-) Sauerkraut over a smoked brat is heaven!

>66. Root beer float - yes.
>
>65. Cognac with a fat cigar - Yes, and with scotch too. cigar part
>overrated (even though I smoked those regularly for a few years anyway).
>
>63. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot - yeah, but I prefer straight shots. Don't
>really care for vodka anyway, won't allow it in the house.
>
>62. Gumbo - Cajun area again. Dunno what they're talking about, the base
>for gumbo is roux, not broth. Make roux by browning 1 cup flower in
>1 cup oil to your desired shade, toss with andouillette (or your preference
>spicy) saugage, chicken, crawfish, into a pot of boiling water, simmer at
>low heat, sprinkle in some file gumbo five minutes before serving it up.

File gumbo? Whuzzat?

>60. Curried goat - what AEG said.

And what about the cabritos? :-)

>57. Goat's milk
>
>56. Single malt whisky
>
>53. Eel
>
>52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - They were the regional donut
>chain in the Carolinas in the mid-70's when I was finishing high school. We
>didn't think of them as anything special.
>
>50. Prickly pear - another regional thing

Not in this day and age. We get em up here too.

>47. Paneer - Indian buffets again
>
>43. Beer above 8% ABV - ho ho ho!
>
>41. Carob chips - and carob coated peanuts, etc.
>
>40. S'mores
>
>39. Sweetbreads -
>
>34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
>
>33. Haggis
>
>32. Fried plantain
>
>31. Chitterlings, or andouillette
>
>30. Gazpacho
>
>27. Gjetost, or brunost - this was biggest surprise on the list. I've had
>this at a winery's festival in College Station, TX, didn't know name.
>Wonderful and somewhat nutty flavor.
>
>24. Hostess Fruit Pie - pecan mainly
>
>23. Snail - regretfully.

No good?

>19. Eggs Benedict
>
>18. Pocky
>
>15. Hare
>
>14. Goulash. The real deal, not my mom's 'version' (aka the leftover
>dumping ground). 's ok.
>
>13. Flowers
>
>10. Spam. Lived on it first six months out of the house. There are ways
>it's tolerable. My claim of originating the recipe for grilled spam with
>vegamite reduction sauce is a jest from back when I was cooking backhouse at
>a fancy caterer's - as far as any of ya'll know, muhahahah.
>
>9. Soft shell crab - eh, 's ok.
>
>7. Catfish
>
>6. Mole poblano
>
>5. Bagel and lox
>
>4. Lobster Thermidor
>
>2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
>
>1. Snake - Rattler, of course, self harvested, wrapped around stick and
>smoked over open fire. The things you'll do when you've forgotten to toss
>the self-opening key can of Spam in the backpack...

Your win. The only things I've killed and eaten on the trail were
fish or plant life.
--
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Sep 9, 2008, 6:24:45 AM9/9/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
> wrote:

> 46. McDonald's Big Mac Meal
> Oh, gods... When I was young and foolish, I ate at McDonalds. Now I
> prefer to go someplace that serves food.

McDonalds is good for breakfast. I just won't go there after 10:30. But
BK, Wendy's, and Sonic are good after that.

Dave Watson

Sep 9, 2008, 9:36:01 AM9/9/08
What the hell. I know, I know, I should be updating my webpages or
burning stuff off my hard drives instead of doing this stuff, but I
felt more like doing this now, esp. since it'd be silly for me to do
it months after the thread's dead. First of all, nothing shellfish-
based because of my allergies. Not bad as far as food allergies go,
since it's easily avoided. If I was allergic to nuts or bread
ingredients, though, I'd be screwed. If I haven't eaten it (or it
doesn't interest me), I'll say nothing, so, no, you won't have to wade
through 100 of my pithy comments. Second, contains music references.
You got me, you get music--deal with it.

100. Venison: My dad and his friends hunt for this every year. He
used to hunt moose, but stopped because he was about the only one in
the family who could stand to eat moose meat. This was all right,
though.

98. Huevos Rancheros: I've listened to their music (http://
www.mintrecs.com/index.php?component=artists&action=profile&tag=huevos_rancheros).
Close enough? No? Ah well, sounds like something I'd enjoy, if they
don't go too crazy on the hot peppers. Painful music? Ooh, yeah.
Painful food? No thanks.

92. Borscht: Not a big beet fan, so it didn't do much for me.

90. Calamari: Had it long before I was diagnosed with the shellfish
allergy (I know it's not shellfish, but it seems that I can't eat any
bottom feeders, period). All right, but I wasn't racing to meet more
of it halfway.

89. Pho: Phoque, yeah. Love it. It seems you can't swing a cat
without hitting a pho joint in Ottawa, but then again, I live close to
Chinatown. I've tripped out people by single-handedly (mouthedly?)
consuming an extra-large bowl. Being full and tripping people out a
bit both make me feel good, so, all the better. If it ever got topped
off with me getting laid, I'd probably die happy.

90. PB&J: Oh, come on. Apart from people with nut allergies, who
hasn't eaten one of these? There's a nice big close-up picture of one
in the gatefold of the Jefferson Airplane album _Volunteers_.

86. Hot dog from a street cart: Never seen a street cart serving
steamies. Fine with me, because I hate 'em. All the street carts
I've seen have barbecue grills. Now we're talkin'.

83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes: Never had any,
but I got a great snock on once on mead, which is wine made from
honey. If you ever get the opportunity to try that, take it.

82. Steamed pork buns: My favourite item from the dim sum menu at
Chinese restaurants, with pork shu mai being a close second.

81. Pistachio ice cream: No, sir, I didn't like it. And I like it
even less when I get it at an all-you-can-eat restaurant, thinking
that it's mint.

79. Fresh wild berries: Niiice. My mom used to make preserves from
them.

77. Rice and beans: Simple, tasty and cheap. Hey.

76. Head cheese: I follow the advice of hockey punk band the Hanson
Brothers: No more head cheese. Saw them play live; someone handed
the bass player a tub of it. He chucked it right back at them,
overhand. That had to hurt.

72. Baklava: What can I say? I'm a sucker for sweets. That's part
of the reason for my bad case of Dunlap's Disease.

70. Wasabi peas: Eaten along with several other bar snacks at Namba
Bears' anniversary celebration during my month in Osaka in '99.

66. Root beer float: S'allright, but I prefer them separate, too.

65. Cognac with a fat cigar: I was given cognac once at a New Year's
dinner. It was all right, but I wasn't able to truly appreciate it
because our host had been plying us with different sorts of liquor--
Ever tried this? Ever tried that?--and I was in Advanced Fog stage
when he busted that out. I'm amazed that all that and the food stayed
down. Every time someone smokes a cigar around me, I want to rip it
out of their mouth and shove it up their ass, lit side first.
Cigarettes are bad enough, but cigar smoke makes me want to puke.

63. Vodka Jell-O shot: I've enjoyed a few of those at Shanghai, the
restaurant in Chinatown where Dr. Watson sings karaoke every Saturday
night (and sometimes plays light-saber-guitar solos).

62. Gumbo: Bill "Sauce Boss" Wharton (sauceboss.com) is part hot
sauce company head and part blues singer/guitarist. During his set,
he prepares a huge pot of gumbo between songs. Of course, at one
point he gets a good-looking woman to come up from the audience and
stir it while he sings a nice saucy song about stirring the gumbo. At
the end, he gives bowls of it over rice to members of the audience, at
no extra charge. His merch table sells CDs (one of which has recipes
in the multimedia section), Liquid Summer hot sauce and a CD/sauce
gift box. I was able to eat a bowl of his rockin' creation after
picking out the shrimp (it's added near the end, so no worries, plus,
he uses a milder sauce), and enjoyed it. If you like the blues and a
good time (and gumbo), check him out live when you have the chance.

60. Curried goat: Had it and liked it, but it's a drag dealing with
the bits of bone that are left on, esp. when you have it in a roti.

59. Whole insects: Once when I was bicycling really fast. Never
again if I can help it.

56. Single malt whiskey: I think I had that once. Whether it was
single malt or not, I remember it tasting really smoky.

55. Fugu: Fuggoff. If you're one of the types who likes to risk
death just to be a food snob, then I root for the fish to win.

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut: Never had the original,
but I like the glazed chocolate cake ones. Ottawa only got them
sometime last year, and even then, some of the places that originally
had them later pulled them. Don't know why, unless it's an allegiance
to Tim Horton's (whose doughnut quality did notably dip after the
company went from making them overnight to partially cooking them and
shipping them to stores frozen).

49. Umeboshi: Not too wild about them. Having a rice ball with one
of them in the middle was a nice unpleasant surprise. That's what you
get for not being able to read Kanji.

46. McDonald's Big Mac Meal: I choked one on of those once. It
could have been worse; I could have finished it.

43. Beer above 8% ABV: I hate beer (surprisingly enough for a
Canadian boy). If I ever tried one that strong, it wasn't enough of
it to feel it. I did try a sip of the stuff made from hemp at a head
shop once. Well...it was still beer. Bleah.

42. Poutine: I'm Canadian and live close to the border of the
province where it was invented. Of course I've had it, and enjoy it
(that's how I was allowed to keep my citizenship whilst still not
liking beer or giving a toss about hockey). I don't have it very
often, since potatoes fried in fat (oil) with chunks of fat over top
(cheese curds) smothered in fat (gravy) are obviously not very
healthy, and I'm unhealthy enough as is.

40. S'mores: Me and my goddamned sweets again. I don't remember
ever having them, though, since my mom preferred making desserts that
could easily satisfy six kids. Whipping up those little things for
that many little brats gets labour-intensive.

35. Frog's legs: Decided that it wasn't worth it in the end, since
it's not much meat and nobody (who I know) eats the rest of the frog.
If it tastes like chicken, then why not just eat chicken?

33. Haggis: Had it once at a pub I used to frequent ages ago (now
closed) on Robbie Burns Day (when else?). If you like stuffing, it's
not that different.

31. Chitlins: Are you sure they aren't misspelling the word? (Thank
you, Bill.)

26. Roadkill: ObExtras: Are you 'avin' a laugh? Is 'e 'avin' a
laugh? For more on the subject, check out the Spit song "Road
Pizza" (http://vinniespit.com/FreeDownload.html). The 12" single mix
at the top is the best version. Seven minutes of funny gross lyrics,
twangy guitar and scrap metal percussion fills.

25. Baijiu: I think that's what I had at a couple of bars in Osaka.
Went through my trip diary and can't find the name of the brand that I
wrote down to confirm it. I liked it, but man, it was costly.

19. Eggs Benedict: Never seen it topped with ham or bacon; just the
poached egg on the muffin half topped with Hollandaise. Tasty enough,
but I prefer good old sausage and fried (over hard).

18. Pocky: But of course. The coolest stick I ever ate was when
someone at AC Cubed 2007 was handing them around in exchange for
writing in his Death Note. I went for it, and thought carefully
before laying out my method of demise: "Being shagged to death by
Rangiku Matsumoto of Bleach." Hey, if you're gonna go out, go out
smiling wide. Make the mortician work for his money.

16. Kobe beef: The only readily-identifiable beef I had in a month
in Japan was yakiniku (thumbs up), plus two burgers (one was McDick's,
making the beef content debatable). I doubt any of these used Kobe
beef. I can at least testify that Mos Burger is quite good, though.

14. Goulash: More soup, please.

13. Flowers(?): "Beware of the flowers, cos I know they're gonna get
you, yeh."--John Otway.

12. Horse(??): Seth Putnam of Anal Cunt ate my horse. And he didn't
leave me any, the bastard.

10. Spam: Sorry to say. On a dare (made by a vegetarian), I once
ate a pickled pork tongue at a bar (next step up from the pickled eggs
and sausages). I was dead sober, willingly eating this thing you
normally have to be good and pissed to consider putting in your
mouth. I've found the part of the pig they make Spam from. Swear to
Belldandy, the exact same taste and texture.

2. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee: Now, I like my coffee, but I'm too
damned poor to have had any of this stuff yet. Rob Kelk jokes that
the beans are smuggled into the country packed in boxes with cocaine,
and, when the boxes are opened, the cocaine is thrown away. I'd still
have it over the ultimate coffee snob brew, which is, for all intents
and purposes, made from civet cat shit.

1. Snake: I wonder if eating my phobia might help me get over it.
I'm not about to try to find out.

One item that was missed on the list: Fiddlehead ferns (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead). Good stuff, yeah. The advantage
of their season being so short is that you don't have them often
enough to have to deal with any potential problems. The few times
I've had them, they've been cooked well, so no worries.

Watson
Aw, Christ, now he's hungry.

Rob Kelk

Sep 9, 2008, 5:43:42 PM9/9/08
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 04:27:09 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:34:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
>wrote:

<snip>

>>86. Hot dog from a street cart
>>A.k.a. a "steamer dog". I prefer them grilled from a street cart, but
>>steamed is okay in a pinch.
>
>Do the carts in Canada have grills? Our are almost all the steam
>tray type.

The carts in *Ottawa* have grills - I have yet to encounter a cart with
a grill in Toronto or Montreal. Grilling makes the sausage-in-a-bun
they also sell not just edible, but palatable...

<snip>

>>69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
>>I've got friends from the Maritimes. Of course I've had this.
>
>Red or white?

White. Don't care for manhattan-style chowder.

<snip>

>>66. Root beer float
>>You can get these at A&W, around here. Not bad for mass-produced...
>
>Y'all get any of the smaller brands up there? Like Dad's or the like?

Oh, yeah. Dad's is a good brand for floats...

<snip>

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 10, 2008, 4:26:43 AM9/10/08
"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-2
> 46/

Bagna Cauda, that one rings a bell. Not anime, I believe it was mentioned
in Babylon 5, when Garibaldi is smuggling all the ingredients aboard B5
while being on a strict diet.

--
Gio

http://blog.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix

Manbow Papa

Sep 10, 2008, 5:03:04 AM9/10/08

"Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:DkZwk.918$1x6.482@edtnps82...
> Brian Christiansen wrote:
>> http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/

>> 55. Fugu: According to the wikipedia article on fugu (which means it may or
>> may not be true), "a number of people die every year from consuming
>> improperly prepared fugu." Sorry, even if it is the best stuff ever, I
>> really just dont wanna risk it.
>

> As Anthony Burdain once said, it's just an ordinary fish. The only kick
> is the risk of dying.

Kawahagi is a kind of Fugu and tastes much like Fugu with zero poison.
Both of them don't have much fat. So, you should use good sauce with it.

>> 53. Eel: Hmmm...not sure about that one even if it is not poionous.
>

> Unagi. Available at every real sushi place on the planet. Mmmm, I love
> Unagi.

We don't eat Unagi as a part of sushi. We eat Anago instead.
Anago looks similar to Unagi, but it lives in the sea.

--
/ Ishikawa Kazuo /

axlq

Sep 10, 2008, 4:33:19 PM9/10/08
In article <s2Ywk.12443$vn7....@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com>,

I wonder what qualifies a food to be listed?

It can't be the weirdness or gross-out factor, because many on the
list are rather ordinary dishes. Rice and beans? Come on.

And it can't be the flavor, because I've had some exquisitely
delicious things that aren't on the list (e.g. mangosteen is my
favorite fruit). Salmon fish & chips aren't mentioned either, and
they are heavenly.

Looks like I've eaten about 80-90% of that stuff. The things I
haven't eaten (mostly the cheese-based foods) I'm not interested in.
There are a few I *am* interested in trying some day, such as fugu.
But I'm covered on much of the weirder stuff on that list (snake,
all the Asian and Indian foods listed, durian, all seafoods except
fugu, whole insects, etc.).

BTW, there's a restaurant chain (Tied House) that sells a "game
burger of the week", which could be venison, buffalo, elk, or
ostrich. Not sure where they get the meat.

-A

Brian Christiansen

Sep 12, 2008, 1:41:10 AM9/12/08

"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> In article <s2Ywk.12443$vn7....@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> Brian Christiansen <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>
> I wonder what qualifies a food to be listed?

I did a google search with the term "100 foods to eat before you die" in
hopes of finding some idea of why the foods that are listed were choosen,
but all I found were several other food blogs discussing this list that was
posted on this food blog.

I personally wish to invoke my dartboard theory, which I posted in an
earlier post (or did I post it on alt.tv.cartoon-network). The makers of
the list wrote the names of a bunch of foods on a wall and threw darts at
it.

I think some of the foods - like rice and beans or Big Mac meak were added
when the guy that compiled the list added when he was drunk or at least
feeling silly.

Brian Christiansen

Derek Janssen

Sep 12, 2008, 1:57:17 AM9/12/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:

> "axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>
>>In article <s2Ywk.12443$vn7....@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com>,
>>Brian Christiansen <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246/
>>
>>I wonder what qualifies a food to be listed?
>>

> I think some of the foods - like rice and beans or Big Mac meak were added
> when the guy that compiled the list added when he was drunk or at least
> feeling silly

No, it was sort of an Americana-chic that you have to "appreciate the
basics", for the same reason as the "Hot dog cart" entry:

FTR, you *do* have to conquer your snootiness and embrace mass-food
culture enough to try a Big Mac once, in the same sense that you have to
try a plate of White Castles once...Ie., both in the sense that they're
pop-culture fixtures without being "real" hamburgers, but whatever they
are, they're originals.
A Big Mac isn't the club-sandwich burger you wishfully see in the ads,
it's a messy spill of sandwich tastes that go good with fries (Thousand
Island dressing on a burger, who knew?)--And while it isn't the thick
loose-grained grill-burger with ketchup, mustard and onions that you'd
get off a Labor Day barbeque, you sure won't find it anywhere else.

Same thing with rice and beans, assuming we're talking the *genuine*
Mexican or Southern ethnic-staple variety, and nothing out of a box.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Brian Christiansen

Sep 12, 2008, 3:02:22 AM9/12/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> No, it was sort of an Americana-chic that you have to "appreciate the
> basics", for the same reason as the "Hot dog cart" entry:

Why? Big Macs are okay, but there are a lot of fast food hamburgers out
there that are better. There are certainly a lot of FF hambugers that are
bigger, in fact the Big Mac is really a medium sized hamburger compared to
much of what is on the market now. In fact, all a big mac is is a double
cheeseburger with an extra piece of bread and the thousand island dressing
(although McDonald's vehemently denies that is what it is).

When it was introduced, it was probably just about the biggest FF hamburger
on the market, but it is still smaller than the whopper, so even in the 70's
it still wasn't the biggest. Also, the whopper was introduced in 1957, the
Big Mac in 1968, so it wasn't even "the first" big FF hamburger.

For a while, BK had a burger they called the "Big King" that resembled the
Big Mac (2 all beef patties, "special sauce," etc.), but in my opinion was
much better. There was also a local restauraunt that had a burger they
called "the copycat" that was styled much the same as a big mac (2 all beef
patties, "special sauce," etc.), but again, much better (there are probably
several restaurants that have this).

So in my opinion, although the Big Mac is OK, but gets no points for being
the biggest FF hamburger, even in 1968 when it was introduced. It gets no
points forbeing the first "big" FF hamburger. It gets no points for being
the "best" FF hamburger. It even gets no points for being the best, or even
the only, hamburger of that style (2 all beef patties, "special sauce,"
etc.) available. I am also very hesitant to give it any points for being an
"original," because I believe that Bob's (or VIP's depending on where you
live) was serving a double-decker hambuger with "special sauce" (1000 island
dressing) before the Big Mac was introduced, and if I recall correctly, that
was also much better than a Big Mac.

As for food snootiness, why does anyone "have to" get over that, and even if
they did, there are plenty of other choices that are just as good if not
better.

As for the rice and beans as an "ethnic staple," why that particular dish.
I am sure that if prepared well it is very good, but how does that make it a
food you should eat before you die.

Perhaps it was a bit of stretch to say that he added them when he was drunk
(kaolin, though?), but as far as I am concerned there are a lot of foods on
that list that are basically arbitrary choices.

Brian Christiansen

sanjian

Sep 12, 2008, 7:07:04 AM9/12/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:
> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> No, it was sort of an Americana-chic that you have to "appreciate the
>> basics", for the same reason as the "Hot dog cart" entry:
>>
> Why? Big Macs are okay, but there are a lot of fast food hamburgers
> out there that are better. There are certainly a lot of FF hambugers

Including McDonalds' own Quarter Pounder with Cheese (grudgingly hangs hat
on Pulp Fiction reference, just to keep someone from making it, thinking
they're oh-so clever). But I agree that just about every major food chain
(except White Castle) is better.

> that are bigger, in fact the Big Mac is really a medium sized
> hamburger compared to much of what is on the market now. In fact,
> all a big mac is is a double cheeseburger with an extra piece of
> bread and the thousand island dressing (although McDonald's
> vehemently denies that is what it is).

Maybe they're talking height?

<snip>

> As for food snootiness, why does anyone "have to" get over that, and
> even if they did, there are plenty of other choices that are just as
> good if not better.

There's no need to get over food snootiness. It's the holier-than-thou and
pitty-the-commoners atttitude that generally accompanies it that's
insufferable.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 12, 2008, 7:22:48 AM9/12/08
Derek Janssen wrote:

> FTR, you *do* have to conquer your snootiness and embrace mass-food
> culture enough to try a Big Mac once,

No. No, you do not. I worked at McD's for a while. I assure you, you do
not. Besides the fact that no hamburger deserves to be abused in that
fashion, not even the fried patties McD's call's "hamburgers".

> A Big Mac isn't the club-sandwich burger you wishfully see in the ads,
> it's a messy spill of sandwich tastes that go good with fries (Thousand
> Island dressing on a burger, who knew?)--And while it isn't the thick
> loose-grained grill-burger with ketchup, mustard and onions that you'd
> get off a Labor Day barbeque, you sure won't find it anywhere else.

(A) and thank God for that.
(B) No PICKLES? What's WRONG with you, heathen? :)

KingT

Sep 16, 2008, 2:28:43 AM9/16/08
On Sep 12, 12:41 am, "Brian Christiansen"
<brian_christi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "axlq" <a...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> > In article <s2Ywk.12443$vn7.12...@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> > Brian Christiansen <brian_christi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before...
>
> > I wonder what qualifies afoodto be listed?

> I did a google search with the term "100 foods to eat before you die" in
> hopes of finding some idea of why the foods that are listed were choosen,
> but all I found were several otherfoodblogsdiscussing this list that was

> posted on thisfoodblog.
>
> I personally wish to invoke my dartboard theory, which I posted in an
> earlier post (or did I post it on alt.tv.cartoon-network).  The makers of
> the list wrote the names of a bunch of foods on a wall and threw darts at
> it.
>
> I think some of the foods - like rice and beans or Big Mac meak were added
> when the guy that compiled the list added when he was drunk or at least
> feeling silly.
>
> Brian Christiansen

http://chibbqking.blogspot.com/

Try some of those spots before your heart stops, b/c it just might
after you eat at some of them.

Chika

Sep 22, 2008, 12:16:12 PM9/22/08
In article <ga1j4o$cdo$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Sea Wasp (Ryk E.
Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> > 49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these,
> > even if they are not poisonous.

> I've had stuff prepared with umeboshi products, but I don't think I've
> encountered the actual fruit. I think it's a kind of plum.

What? No UY fans commenting on this, Lum's favourite tipple?

From AnimEigo's liner notes for volume 11:
"Umeboshi (pickled plums) have a preservative effect on rice due to being
soaked in vinegar. Also the single red circle in the field of white rice
gave rise to the term "Hinomaru Bentoo" (Hinomaru box lunch) because of
its similarity in appearance to Hinomaru, the Japanese flag."

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... A wok is what you throw at a wabbit.

Rob Kelk

Sep 22, 2008, 6:04:35 PM9/22/08
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:16:12 +0100, Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <ga1j4o$cdo$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Sea Wasp (Ryk E.
>Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>> > 49. Umeboshi: Umeboshi are pickled ume fruits. Not sure about these,
>> > even if they are not poisonous.
>
>> I've had stuff prepared with umeboshi products, but I don't think I've
>> encountered the actual fruit. I think it's a kind of plum.
>
>What? No UY fans commenting on this, Lum's favourite tipple?
>
>From AnimEigo's liner notes for volume 11:
>"Umeboshi (pickled plums) have a preservative effect on rice due to being
>soaked in vinegar. Also the single red circle in the field of white rice
>gave rise to the term "Hinomaru Bentoo" (Hinomaru box lunch) because of
>its similarity in appearance to Hinomaru, the Japanese flag."

I think most of the current crop of anime fans know them better from
episode 8 of "Kamichu!" They don't do to Yurie what they do to Lum, but
they do provide a boost...

Chika

Sep 23, 2008, 7:52:19 AM9/23/08
In article <48d8162...@news.individual.net>, Rob Kelk

<rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:16:12 +0100, Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I've had stuff prepared with umeboshi products, but I don't think
> >> I've encountered the actual fruit. I think it's a kind of plum.
> >
> >What? No UY fans commenting on this, Lum's favourite tipple?
> >
> >From AnimEigo's liner notes for volume 11: "Umeboshi (pickled plums)
> >have a preservative effect on rice due to being soaked in vinegar. Also
> >the single red circle in the field of white rice gave rise to the term
> >"Hinomaru Bentoo" (Hinomaru box lunch) because of its similarity in
> >appearance to Hinomaru, the Japanese flag."

> I think most of the current crop of anime fans know them better from
> episode 8 of "Kamichu!" They don't do to Yurie what they do to Lum, but
> they do provide a boost...

Ah, the stormtroopers of Lum are a dying breed...

That isn't necessarily a bad thing! <VEG> <MML>

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... Error - [A]bort, [R]etry, [F]ake like it's working...

sanjian

Sep 23, 2008, 2:52:29 PM9/23/08
Chika wrote:
> In article <48d8162...@news.individual.net>, Rob Kelk
> <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:16:12 +0100, Chika
>> <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:

>>> What? No UY fans commenting on this, Lum's favourite tipple?
>>>
>>> From AnimEigo's liner notes for volume 11: "Umeboshi (pickled plums)
>>> have a preservative effect on rice due to being soaked in vinegar.
>>> Also the single red circle in the field of white rice gave rise to
>>> the term "Hinomaru Bentoo" (Hinomaru box lunch) because of its
>>> similarity in appearance to Hinomaru, the Japanese flag."
>
>> I think most of the current crop of anime fans know them better from
>> episode 8 of "Kamichu!" They don't do to Yurie what they do to Lum,
>> but they do provide a boost...
>
> Ah, the stormtroopers of Lum are a dying breed...

Electrocution is known to do that.

Chika

Sep 23, 2008, 5:06:36 PM9/23/08
In article <TfWdnSXSPfVxp0TV...@posted.internetamerica>,

To be honest, I always suspected that Megane would die of heart failure
before that. Talk about stressed out!

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... GUT : God's Undiscovered Thoughts

Gerardo Campos

Sep 23, 2008, 11:05:48 PM9/23/08
"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote on Sun 07 Sep
2008 04:54:45p:

http://foodproof.com/blogs/view/post/100-things-you-should-eat-before-246

Still in NW Arkansas, and catching up raam

This is what I have tried

98. Huevos rancheros, best ones in Arenal, Jalisco
97. Steak tartare
95. Black pudding, morcilla
94. Cheese fondue
93. Carp
90. Calamari
88. PB&J sandwich, liked with orange jelly
86. Tried in New York, LA (Dodgers stadium) and Mexico
84. Black truffle
83. Fruit wine, Tepache qualifies? made of pineapple
82. Steamed pork buns
81. Pistachio ice cream, this is my favorite flavor
79. Fresh wild berry, I had grosellas
77. Rice and beans, all the time
76. Head cheese, know as Queso de Puerco
75. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper, seems to be hotter than Habanero though
74. Dulce de leche
73. Oysetrs, both raw and cooked
70. Wasabi
67. Saurkraut
66. Root beer float
61. Oxtail, or Sopa de Cola
60. Curried goat, or its mexican cousin Birria, a staple dish from
Guadalajara, Mexico 59. Tried grasshopers
57. Goat's milk, and derivatives as cajeta and some candies
54. Chicken tikka masala
52. Kripse Kreme doughnut, tried here in Arkansas,
50. Prckly pear, known as Tuna also its cousin Pitaya
46. McDonald's Big Mac Meal, in Mexico City, like 15 years ago
35. Forg's legs
34. Churros, dipped in hot chocolate
32. Fried plantain, at home and from street vendors
31. Tripitas
30. Gazpacho
19. Eggs benedict
15. Hare, my grandmother had a farm of hares
13. Flowers, usually Flor de Calabaza inside of a quesadilla or as a
soup
12. Horse
10. Spam
6. Mole poblano, my favorite dish