DBZ - Goku's finances

8-Bit Star

Jul 9, 2008, 8:56:58 PM7/9/08
Sorry if this question has been asked before,
but I've been reading Dragonball Z again and
I'm wondering:

In one chapter Chichi demands Goku get a
job. So, he's not employed. And Chichi
gives me the impression she's a stay-at-home
mom.

So... how are they getting money to pay
taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
they may infrequently have to do on their
home)?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 9, 2008, 9:48:55 PM7/9/08

I'm sure they have no taxes. Their world has a lot of frontier in it,
and they're living in the back of beyond. As little as a century and a
half or a bit more ago, you could go out into the wilder parts of
America, claim an unused piece of land, and build a house on it, and not
have to pay a thing.

Food, Goku goes out and kills something.

Repairs, Goku or one of his friends, or even ChiChi, can do those.

I don't know if they HAVE bills in the normal sense. A Capsule house
seems to come with self-contained power, so even if Goku has some
appliances, I'm not sure they even have power bills to worry about; the
devices may have their own energy source.

ChiChi was just complaining because she wishes he'd be doing something
other than training and beating things up. But that's what he DOES.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 9, 2008, 10:08:10 PM7/9/08
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:48:55 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>8-Bit Star wrote:
>> Sorry if this question has been asked before,
>> but I've been reading Dragonball Z again and
>> I'm wondering:
>>
>> In one chapter Chichi demands Goku get a
>> job. So, he's not employed. And Chichi
>> gives me the impression she's a stay-at-home
>> mom.
>>
>> So... how are they getting money to pay
>> taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
>> they may infrequently have to do on their
>> home)?
>
> I'm sure they have no taxes. Their world has a lot of frontier in it,
>and they're living in the back of beyond. As little as a century and a
>half or a bit more ago, you could go out into the wilder parts of
>America, claim an unused piece of land, and build a house on it, and not
>have to pay a thing.
>
> Food, Goku goes out and kills something.

Heck, when Bulma first met him he was bringing home a kill . . .

> Repairs, Goku or one of his friends, or even ChiChi, can do those.
>
> I don't know if they HAVE bills in the normal sense. A Capsule house
>seems to come with self-contained power, so even if Goku has some
>appliances, I'm not sure they even have power bills to worry about; the
>devices may have their own energy source.
>
> ChiChi was just complaining because she wishes he'd be doing something
>other than training and beating things up. But that's what he DOES.

I think Adrian Balboa had similar compalints . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 9, 2008, 11:32:55 PM7/9/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:48:55 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> 8-Bit Star wrote:
>>> Sorry if this question has been asked before,
>>> but I've been reading Dragonball Z again and
>>> I'm wondering:
>>>
>>> In one chapter Chichi demands Goku get a
>>> job. So, he's not employed. And Chichi
>>> gives me the impression she's a stay-at-home
>>> mom.
>>>
>>> So... how are they getting money to pay
>>> taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
>>> they may infrequently have to do on their
>>> home)?
>> I'm sure they have no taxes. Their world has a lot of frontier in it,
>> and they're living in the back of beyond. As little as a century and a
>> half or a bit more ago, you could go out into the wilder parts of
>> America, claim an unused piece of land, and build a house on it, and not
>> have to pay a thing.
>>
>> Food, Goku goes out and kills something.
>>

> Heck, when Bulma first met him he was bringing home a kill . . .

Yep. She ran into him (literally. With her car) while he was dragging
home one of those monster fish.

>> Repairs, Goku or one of his friends, or even ChiChi, can do those.
>>
>> I don't know if they HAVE bills in the normal sense. A Capsule house
>> seems to come with self-contained power, so even if Goku has some
>> appliances, I'm not sure they even have power bills to worry about; the
>> devices may have their own energy source.
>>
>> ChiChi was just complaining because she wishes he'd be doing something
>> other than training and beating things up. But that's what he DOES.
>
> I think Adrian Balboa had similar compalints . . .

Yeah, but at least SHE had justification for it; Rocky actually WAS
getting hurt, and not recovering as well.

Goku just keeps getting more badass.

Heikki "vermes" Heiska

Jul 10, 2008, 1:57:32 AM7/10/08
8-Bit Star wrote:
> So... how are they getting money to pay
> taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
> they may infrequently have to do on their
> home)?

Ox King probably supports them.

Blade

Jul 10, 2008, 7:46:16 AM7/10/08

"8-Bit Star" <nes...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Goku won the budokai once, but then blew all the money on the after-victory
celebration meal. I'm guessing Chi-Chi got him to work odd jobs before Z
started (if nothing else, he might have gone around winning some minor
fighting tournaments), and he'd also supplement their food by hunting. I
doubt they pay taxes considering how far out in the boonies they are and the
generally shoddy shape of Dragon World's law enforcement. Chi-Chi can also
probably get money off of Ox King; if nothing else, the old softie probably
leaves a chunk of cash every time he visits (which seems to be once a week).

In the anime, she's poor enough to not be able to afford a car, anyway.
Maybe they're on welfare. ;p

-
Blade

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 10, 2008, 9:06:56 AM7/10/08
Blade wrote:
> "8-Bit Star" <nes...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry if this question has been asked before,
>> but I've been reading Dragonball Z again and
>> I'm wondering:
>>
>> In one chapter Chichi demands Goku get a
>> job. So, he's not employed. And Chichi
>> gives me the impression she's a stay-at-home
>> mom.
>>
>> So... how are they getting money to pay
>> taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
>> they may infrequently have to do on their
>> home)?
>
> Goku won the budokai once, but then blew all the money on the after-victory
> celebration meal.

Did he? I remember him eating enough to blow all of KAME-SENIN's money
after the old bastard won. But ISTR that right after he won the Budoukai
he rejected the opportunity to become a Kami and flew off with ChiChi.
But it's been quite a while.

> I'm guessing Chi-Chi got him to work odd jobs before Z
> started (if nothing else, he might have gone around winning some minor
> fighting tournaments), and he'd also supplement their food by hunting.

I think if he had to BUY stuff they'd never survive. Goku eats enough
at one sitting, even when NOT in a tournament, to supply my entire
family for a week. So he's eating (by himself) about 20-25 times what we
do. Which stats out to -- being conservative -- $10,000 per month.

No, they live off the land, or they had better be VERY wealthy.

> doubt they pay taxes considering how far out in the boonies they are and the
> generally shoddy shape of Dragon World's law enforcement.

In the areas where there IS law enforcement, it appears to be okay, but
(A) they're in the frontier area where probably there isn't even a
census or addresses, and (B)I'm not sure how Law Enforcement would apply
to someone that you CANNOT arrest effectively, has no real assets to
seize, and could destroy your entire country with a minor tantrum.

> Chi-Chi can also
> probably get money off of Ox King; if nothing else, the old softie probably
> leaves a chunk of cash every time he visits (which seems to be once a week).

Oh, there's no doubt of that. he's also been known to bring large
quantities of food with him too.

> In the anime, she's poor enough to not be able to afford a car, anyway.

If I could fly like Goku, owning a car would seem... silly.

> Maybe they're on welfare. ;p

I'd say he's contributed enough to society (like, making it possible
for there to still BE a society) to make that reasonable. Though the
payment plan must be interesting.

Message has been deleted

Derek Janssen

Jul 10, 2008, 1:55:04 PM7/10/08
Ken Arromdee wrote:
> In article <g5514p$lt6$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>>In the anime, she's poor enough to not be able to afford a car, anyway.
>>
>> If I could fly like Goku, owning a car would seem... silly.
>

> He can fly. She can't.
>
> Actually, why doesn't she ever learn to fly? If Videl can do it, there's
> no reason Chichi shouldn't be able to. She's a good enough martial artist
> to have made it nearly to the end of the Tenkaichi Budokai.

Chichi gave up the fighting culture to become Supermom--
She can still defend herself, but only if marauding villains threaten
Gohan's chances at college.

Derek Janssen (who hears enough about Chi2's portrayal in the Dragonball
movie to worry 0_0''' )
eja...@verizon.net

Bill Martin

Jul 10, 2008, 2:50:07 PM7/10/08

They don't. No real taxes to pay since there is no world government.
Bills? The only bill I know they have is the grocery bill, which was
the reason ChiChi wanted a car (since she wasn't pure of heart anymore,
apparently to use the cloud), and being the daughter of the Ox King and
on very good terms with the daughter of the Capsule Corporation founder
most stores would be willing to lend her a line of credit. As to the
repairs, when one home is destroyed, another one can be furnished by
the proper capsule. Shoot, all Goku has to do is sell off some of the
crap from his intergalactic travels (escape pod, ?Yadraat? clothing,
King Cold's ship, Android 19 parts, etc.) to the right people and
they'd be set for life.

Salagir

Jul 14, 2008, 5:13:04 AM7/14/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:57:32 +0300, in rec.arts.anime.misc,
Heikki "vermes" Heiska wrote:
> 8-Bit Star wrote:
>> So... how are they getting money to pay
>> taxes bills and all (not to mention the repairs
> Ox King probably supports them.

It's confirmed in the manga's french translation.

When Gohan suggest to take part in the tournament (on Videl's demand),
he tells the money prizes, and Chi² says it's perfect, as the money she
got from her father was almost depleted.

--
My Webcomic: www.geeksworld.org -+- All my websites: www.salagir.com
<poke> i'm not afraid of flying.

Gerardo Campos

Jul 22, 2008, 11:08:02 PM7/22/08

Sorry for being late, but my guess is that Gyumao left a good amount of
money as dowry to Chichi. I recall that he owns a lot of properties and
treasures and didn't seem to mortified when Rochi blew up his castle.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

David Johnston