Need advice on Miyazaki DVDs

Russ

Mar 29, 2001, 6:16:16 PM3/29/01
Hello,

I've recently become a big Miyazaki fan and have Kiki, Totoro and Mononoke, but
I'm getting very tired of waiting for Disney to come out with more. **Every**
time we watch Kiki, my daughter gets excited about the "Castle in the Sky"
trailer and I have to explain to her that, no, we can't get it yet.

I noticed on ebay ads for a 4-DVD set containing 11 Miyazaki movies apparently
made in China. Is this worth getting? I don't really know much about DVD or
anime so feel free to explain any basics to me. I'm very curious to see some of
these other Miyazaki movies, and it doesn't bother me that there is no English
soundtrack or subtitles.

Thanks very much for your help,

Russ

Derek Janssen

Mar 29, 2001, 6:34:11 PM3/29/01
Russ wrote:

> I've recently become a big Miyazaki fan and have Kiki, Totoro and Mononoke, but
> I'm getting very tired of waiting for Disney to come out with more. **Every**
> time we watch Kiki, my daughter gets excited about the "Castle in the Sky"
> trailer and I have to explain to her that, no, we can't get it yet.

...How about "Castle of Cagliostro", in the meantime? : )

> I noticed on ebay ads for a 4-DVD set containing 11 Miyazaki movies apparently
> made in China. Is this worth getting? I don't really know much about DVD or
> anime so feel free to explain any basics to me.

Okay, let's start with "region codes"--
If you have a mainstream North American player, the answer's already "no".

> I'm very curious to see some of
> these other Miyazaki movies, and it doesn't bother me that there is no English
> soundtrack or subtitles.

Let's hope so...There ain't.

As for CitS, now that BVJapan's R2's are out of the way, tell your
daughter they ARE working on it (and Kiki), and expect it this year
(shh, that's hush-hush)--
They weren't sayin' that *last* year, can tell you that. : )

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Doug Jacobs

Mar 29, 2001, 6:37:02 PM3/29/01
Derek Janssen <dja...@ultranet.com> wrote:
>> I noticed on ebay ads for a 4-DVD set containing 11 Miyazaki movies apparently
>> made in China. Is this worth getting? I don't really know much about DVD or
>> anime so feel free to explain any basics to me.

> Okay, let's start with "region codes"--
> If you have a mainstream North American player, the answer's already "no".

If the discs are from China, chances are they're region 0 - ie. will play
on any DVD player.

I'm also assuming they're bootleg, as Japan hasn't released anything
Miyazaki on DVD yet.

Nausicaa.net has more info on the Japanese release schedules. The US
releases are set 6 months after the Japanese ones, I think.

In the meantime, yeah, yeah...I think most folks here would kill for a DVD
Ghibli Box.

Lawrence Lin

Mar 29, 2001, 8:01:29 PM3/29/01
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:37:02 -0000, Doug Jacobs <dja...@tsoft.com>
wrote:

>I'm also assuming they're bootleg, as Japan hasn't released anything
>Miyazaki on DVD yet.

They're bootlegs. The Studio Ghibli R2 DVD release schedule can be
found here.[1]

>Nausicaa.net has more info on the Japanese release schedules. The US
>releases are set 6 months after the Japanese ones, I think.

The US dates are currently non-existant. <G>

[1]: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/dvd/#japanese

Above email address works, but for faster response use llin@_erase_this_u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/llin/

Lee Johnson

Mar 30, 2001, 1:34:53 PM3/30/01
Russ wrote:
> I'm getting very tired of waiting for Disney to come out with more.

Try waiting 9 years to get hold of a copy of Laputa. I did (recorded off
the TV i might add)

> I noticed on ebay ads for a 4-DVD set containing 11 Miyazaki movies
> apparently

They're bootleg versions: think about it, 4 DVDs containing 11 Ghibli
movies? The guy who does it sells shit loads of Bootleg stuff. The
"Archives of Studio Ghibli" tends to make an appearance at least once a
month. Hopefully his "franchise" will not survive for much longer.

For correct info on R1 and R2 (jap) Ghibli DVD releases check out my
site [1], or nausicaa.net [2].

LJ
[1] http://website.lineone.net/~lawrencium
[2] http://www.nausicaa.net

Lee Johnson

Mar 30, 2001, 1:41:43 PM3/30/01
Russ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently become a big Miyazaki fan and have Kiki, Totoro and Mononoke, but

Forgot to mention: have you tried Panda KoPanda? It's Available on DVD
in the US. Written by H.Miyazaki, directed by Takahata, and I'm sure
your daughter would love it.

LJ

Derek Janssen

Mar 30, 2001, 2:03:18 PM3/30/01

It's cute, but for pre-"Totoro" age--

Manga's "Castle of Cagliostro" (too early to be part of the Disney deal)
is also warm-hearted, older-G-rated and kid-friendly, and has one of
anime's most @$$-kickin' car chases in the first ten minutes, to boot.
: )

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Lee Johnson

Mar 31, 2001, 5:25:12 PM3/31/01
Derek Janssen wrote:

> Manga's "Castle of Cagliostro" (too early to be part of the Disney deal)
> is also warm-hearted, older-G-rated and kid-friendly, and has one of
> anime's most @$$-kickin' car chases in the first ten minutes, to boot.
> : )

I thought COC had the best animated car chase ever until I saw
"LupinIII: The Fuma Conspiracy". Driving through rivers? Yep. Driving
through houses? Hell yeah! And laugh? I nearly cried!

LJ
http://website.lineone.net/~lawrencium