Anime similar to Paranoia Agent, Welcome to NHK, LAIN, etc

parv

May 20, 2009, 3:04:11 AM5/20/09
(Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
well...)

I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
far I have seen ...

Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)

Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)

Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)

Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)

Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)

... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
any magical ones.

(I prefer English|Hindi subtitles, failing that good English|Hindi
dub. If you know that a series|movie is not available on Netflix,
but is elsewhere legally (free|cheaper than buying DVD(s)
themselves), please do share the source.)

- parv

--
Do away with WhereElse from email address if you insist on personal
touch.

Nick

May 20, 2009, 4:49:56 AM5/20/09

On Wed, 20 May 2009 07:04:11 +0000 (UTC), in rec.arts.anime.misc, parv
<par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:

>(Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>well...)
>
>I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>far I have seen ...
>
> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>
> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>
> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>
> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>
> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)

Hmmm....

'Perfect Blue' certainly fits right in there with 'Paprika' and 'Paranoia
Agent'.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

Giovanni Wassen

May 20, 2009, 5:25:08 AM5/20/09
Nick <tans...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>
>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>
>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>
> Hmmm....
>
> 'Perfect Blue' certainly fits right in there with 'Paprika' and 'Paranoia
> Agent'.

You can add Millennium Actress to that too. Satoshi Kon likes that
surrealistic stuff. And I like Kon's stuff :)

--
Gio

http://www.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

Aje RavenStar

May 20, 2009, 7:29:30 AM5/20/09

"Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Nick <tans...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>>
>>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>>
>>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>>
>>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>>
>>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>
>> Hmmm....
>>
>> 'Perfect Blue' certainly fits right in there with 'Paprika' and 'Paranoia
>> Agent'.
>
> You can add Millennium Actress to that too. Satoshi Kon likes that
> surrealistic stuff. And I like Kon's stuff :)

You might like xxxHolic, deals with a lot of psyche and surreal situations.

The omake (26th) episode of Tsukyomi: Moon Phase was fairly surreal, though
one probably won't appreciate it fully if they haven't seen the entire
series.

.hack//sign revolves around the characters trying to figure out what is
going on, where is the line between the real world and the virtual, game
one.

And there's always UY: Beautiful Dreamer <G>.

chr...@balder.sabir.com

May 20, 2009, 8:59:18 AM5/20/09
On 2009-05-20, parv <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
> well...)
>
> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
> far I have seen ...
>
> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>
> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>
> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>
> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>
> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>

> ... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
> any magical ones.

I'd recommend a couple of others by ABe (Serial Experiment LAIN):
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei
The two are very different from each other, but both are theme driven
and psychologically deeper than the typical anime.

Boogiepop Phantom is very psyche driven, and is interesting. I just wish
I had seen one of the movies first - I couldn't distinguish and keep
track of the characters when I first saw it!

I second other's recommendations of Perfect Blue. (Millennium Actress
is also very good and qualifies somewhat as surreal, but is much more
reflections on life than the ones you mention.)

Chris

Ken Arromdee

May 20, 2009, 12:01:13 PM5/20/09
Evangelion.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"In a superhero story, Superman jumps off buildings and flies. In a realistic
story, Superman doesn't jump off buildings and can't fly. Deconstruction is
writing a story where Superman can't fly but he still jumps off of buildings."

The Relic

May 20, 2009, 2:12:47 PM5/20/09

And of course, UY: Lum The Forever (man that was bizarre, even
for Yamazaki ^_^).

Derek Janssen

May 20, 2009, 2:42:20 PM5/20/09
The Relic wrote:

> Aje RavenStar wrote:
>>
>> And there's always UY: Beautiful Dreamer <G>.
>
> And of course, UY: Lum The Forever (man that was bizarre, even
> for Yamazaki ^_^).

I'll hope that smiley was joking. 0_0'''
(No sane person would EVER recommend UY4 to the innocent, unless they
wanted to see whether they could outdo an experienced Lain vet for
"Pointless" and "Punishing".)

UY3: Remember My Love manages to set up some unnervingly
surrealistic/creepy moments in the first act; pity they never really
amount to anything having to do with the sentimental rest of the story,
but good isolated out of context.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Invid Fan

May 20, 2009, 7:37:29 PM5/20/09
In article <slrnh17at7....@localhost.holy.cow>, parv
<par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:

> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
> well...)
>
> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
> far I have seen ...
>
> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>
> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>
> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)

If you listen to the commentary on the final disk, you'll learn a) they
started not knowing the ending, and b) cut out anything that might tell
the viewer what was going on. Listening to the creators sure changed
how I view shows like this :)

> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>
> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>

> ... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
> any magical ones.

Key the Metal Idol. The dub imho is one of the great ones, to the point
where I didn't care for the first episode when I rented the subtitled
tape way back but really got into the show when I gave the dub a try.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Inu-Yasha

May 20, 2009, 7:57:07 PM5/20/09

"parv" <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote in message

Chrno Crusade deals with demons, and such, but is not really the same kind
of flavor as the anime you site. Ghost Sweeper Mikami deals with ghost and
some supernatural, but is more in a humorous vein. Angel Heart (maybe),
Arion, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (which seems to have 3 sections ni, niKai &
ni Rei), Ergo Proxy, Kurau Phantom Memory, Mermaid Forest, Phantom Hunter
Miko, Phantom Quest Corp. Kurozuka, Teizokurei Daydream, Urda, Vampire
Hunter D, Witch Hunter Robin, & Witchblade. A couple of ecchi titles that
might be interesting are Sex Demon Queen, Urotsukidoji, Mahou Shoujo Ai, and
maybe Angel Blade, though remember Ecchi titles have lots of graphic and
sometimes stupid sex and tenticles and so on <__>.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

I know there are a few other titles I can't dredge up form memory or my
series list book several Japanses Horror stories (Monogatari), Shakugan no
Shana, Demonbane and some others.

The Relic

May 20, 2009, 9:27:21 PM5/20/09
Derek Janssen wrote:
> The Relic wrote:
>> Aje RavenStar wrote:
>>>
>>> And there's always UY: Beautiful Dreamer <G>.
>>
>> And of course, UY: Lum The Forever (man that was bizarre, even
>> for Yamazaki ^_^).
>
> I'll hope that smiley was joking. 0_0'''
> (No sane person would EVER recommend UY4 to the innocent, unless they
> wanted to see whether they could outdo an experienced Lain vet for
> "Pointless" and "Punishing".)

Well, maybe an evil smiley....True, one should probably get some
UY under their belt before watching UY 4, but I was very entertained
by it (well, except for Onsenmark's finger shoved up his nose...
yukh). Not as good as UY 2 IMO (or 3 for that matter), but I
liked it, tho' I have to wonder about Yamazaki's claim about
it being about "a young girl becoming a woman"...o_O

parv

May 20, 2009, 11:33:07 PM5/20/09
in message <gaYQl.2189$wR5....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
wrote Derek Janssen ...

Don't worry people, all of your suggestions will be heeded.

Well, I already have whole series of UY, including movies, in my
rental queue already (based on suggestions of long gone past to
others). I am all ears if I should see any particular movie(s)
before any particular episode(s).

- parv

parv

May 20, 2009, 11:41:09 PM5/20/09
in message <Xns9C117431CC...@85.214.105.209>,
wrote Giovanni Wassen ...

> Nick <tans...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>>
>>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>>
>>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>>
>>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>>
>>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>
>> Hmmm....
>>
>> 'Perfect Blue' certainly fits right in there with 'Paprika' and
>> 'Paranoia Agent'.

Thank you for the suggestion (turns out it is already in my rental
queue).

> You can add Millennium Actress to that too. Satoshi Kon likes that
> surrealistic stuff. And I like Kon's stuff :)

I should have listed "Millennium Actress", sorry. I really liked it
for the order & the artwork.

Count me as another fan of Satoshi Kon. :-)^W^_^ (I wonder if
there are any SK-fan t-shirts ...)

- parv

parv

May 20, 2009, 11:55:34 PM5/20/09
in message <gv0pmr$v2e$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
wrote Aje RavenStar ...

> "Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> 'Perfect Blue' certainly fits right in there with 'Paprika' and
>>> 'Paranoia Agent'.
>>
>> You can add Millennium Actress to that too. Satoshi Kon likes
>> that surrealistic stuff. And I like Kon's stuff :)
>
> You might like xxxHolic, deals with a lot of psyche and surreal situations.

Thank you. How is "The movie: A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

> The omake (26th) episode of Tsukyomi: Moon Phase was fairly
> surreal, though one probably won't appreciate it fully if they
> haven't seen the entire series.

Ok, the series has been put in rental queue. Thanks.

> .hack//sign revolves around the characters trying to figure out what is
> going on, where is the line between the real world and the virtual, game
> one.

I tried to watch it once or twice, couldn't. For some reason, I
just did not care for the plight|struggles in a game. Yes, being
the virtual world of a quest game, turned me off.

- parv

parv

May 21, 2009, 12:06:55 AM5/21/09
in message <slrnh17vl5...@balder.sabir.com>,
wrote chr...@balder.sabir.com ...

> On 2009-05-20, parv <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>> well...)
>>
>> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>> far I have seen ...
>>
>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>
>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>
>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>

>> ... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
>> any magical ones.
>
> I'd recommend a couple of others by ABe (Serial Experiment LAIN):
> Texhnolyze
> Haibane Renmei
> The two are very different from each other, but both are theme
> driven and psychologically deeper than the typical anime.

Thank you; will put it in the list of anime to be seen.

> Boogiepop Phantom is very psyche driven, and is interesting. I
> just wish I had seen one of the movies first - I couldn't
> distinguish and keep track of the characters when I first saw it!

Sorry (for not including in original list), I have already seen it.
And, it is interesting to say the least. Only after first 2-3
episodes, I saw how the story thus far (and as a whole would) fit.
I particularly liked how a seemingly side point was introduced in
preceeding episodes.

On to search for the movie ... is it "Boogiepop and Others"?

> (Millennium Actress is also very good and qualifies somewhat as
> surreal, but is much more reflections on life than the ones you
> mention.)

I was unsure myself if "Millennium Actress" was surreal enough.
That is why I did not list in the original list of anime already
seen.

- parv

parv

May 21, 2009, 12:14:29 AM5/21/09
in message <200520091937296015%in...@loclanet.com>,
wrote Invid Fan ...

> In article <slrnh17at7....@localhost.holy.cow>, parv
><par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>> far I have seen ...

>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
> If you listen to the commentary on the final disk, you'll learn a)
> they started not knowing the ending, and b) cut out anything that
> might tell the viewer what was going on. Listening to the creators
> sure changed how I view shows like this :)

I see. I saw the series on Cartoon Network; will get the final disk
for above reasons (I am not personally keen on any kind of extras
other than extra|alternate episodes|cuts).

>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>

>> ... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
>> any magical ones.
>>
> Key the Metal Idol. The dub imho is one of the great ones, to the point
> where I didn't care for the first episode when I rented the subtitled
> tape way back but really got into the show when I gave the dub a try.

Thanks much, will try both the dub & subtitles. (Turns out, it is
already scheduled to be seen).

- parv

parv

May 21, 2009, 12:26:55 AM5/21/09
in message <4a1498cf$0$11845$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
wrote Inu-Yasha ...

> "parv" <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote in message
>> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>> well...)
>>
>> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>> far I have seen ...
>>
>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>
>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>
>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>

>> ... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
>> any magical ones.

> Chrno Crusade deals with demons, and such, but is not really the
> same kind of flavor as the anime you site. Ghost Sweeper Mikami
> deals with ghost and some supernatural, but is more in a humorous
> vein. Angel Heart (maybe), Arion, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
> (which seems to have 3 sections ni, niKai & ni Rei), Ergo Proxy,
> Kurau Phantom Memory, Mermaid Forest, Phantom Hunter Miko, Phantom
> Quest Corp. Kurozuka, Teizokurei Daydream, Urda, Vampire Hunter D,
> Witch Hunter Robin, & Witchblade.

Thank you.

I started seeing "Witch Hunter Robin" on Cartoon Network, but later
lost interest: moved slowly; missed a few episodes in between; dealt
with witches. Robin's costume was great though. Is it worth the
effort to try it once more?

Witchblade & Ergo Proxy are on the watch list; will look up the
rest.

> A couple of ecchi titles that might be interesting are Sex Demon
> Queen, Urotsukidoji, Mahou Shoujo Ai, and maybe Angel Blade,
> though remember Ecchi titles have lots of graphic and sometimes
> stupid sex and tenticles and so on <__>.

Ahem. I saw "Angel Blade" which was more about sex|nudity, forced
or otherwise, than anything else; plot was rather thin. Will keep
them in mind when in mood. ;>

> I know there are a few other titles I can't dredge up form memory
> or my series list book several Japanses Horror stories
> (Monogatari), Shakugan no Shana, Demonbane and some others.

I am not really a horror fan, anime or otheriwse, funny or not.

- parv

Derek Janssen

May 21, 2009, 1:46:43 AM5/21/09
parv wrote:

Episode 1 should be seen before "Beautiful Dreamer", just for one neat
particular bit of canon that might fly over newbie's heads--
But BD also refs the "Nightmare" episode, and both that and the
first-season recap (of Ep. 1) can be found together on the TV Vol. 6
disk...Might help to start with that combo first, just for the convenience.

After that, feel free to move on at your leisure.
(With the added reminder that #4 wasn't *designed* to make any danged
sense and doesn't, and that if you've seen the Recap, you won't need to
punish yourself with TV Disks 1-5 either.)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

ROI

May 21, 2009, 3:10:14 AM5/21/09
On May 21, 2:06 pm, parv <parv...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
> in message <slrnh17vl5.g6t.chr...@balder.sabir.com>,

Yes. There's also a light novel series with 4 titles translated into
English: "Boogiepop and Others" "Boogiepop VS Imaginator Part 1"
"Boogiepop VS Imaginator Part 1" and "Boogiepop at Dawn", the 6th book
but a prequel to the others.

chr...@balder.sabir.com

May 21, 2009, 8:00:56 AM5/21/09
On 2009-05-21, parv <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
> in message <slrnh17vl5...@balder.sabir.com>,
> wrote chr...@balder.sabir.com ...
>
>> I'd recommend a couple of others by ABe (Serial Experiment LAIN):
>> Texhnolyze
>> Haibane Renmei
>> The two are very different from each other, but both are theme
>> driven and psychologically deeper than the typical anime.
>
> Thank you; will put it in the list of anime to be seen.

Texhnolyze in particular will be "hit-or-miss". Immediately after
watching it, it was "miss" with me. I could greatly admire parts of
it, but it was still disjointed (the plot was not strong enough to
connect everything for me). After puzzling about it for a couple of
weeks, I suddenly pieced together at least one of the major unifying
themes and now regard it as one of my top anime.

>> Boogiepop Phantom is very psyche driven, and is interesting. I
>> just wish I had seen one of the movies first - I couldn't
>> distinguish and keep track of the characters when I first saw it!
>
> Sorry (for not including in original list), I have already seen it.
> And, it is interesting to say the least. Only after first 2-3
> episodes, I saw how the story thus far (and as a whole would) fit.
> I particularly liked how a seemingly side point was introduced in
> preceeding episodes.
>
> On to search for the movie ... is it "Boogiepop and Others"?

As ROI has said, yes. It's live-action, not anime, but they did a
reasonable job. Boogipop Phantom is much more ambitious, but I didn't
appreciate it enough on first viewing - I'm "people-recognition"
challenged, and couldn't identify the recurring characters well enough
(and their alternate identities), much less distinguish between
Boogiepop and Boogiepop Phantom.

Chris

Blade

May 21, 2009, 8:05:11 AM5/21/09

Although you've already got a crapload of rentals, no discussion of surreal
anime would be quite complete without mentioning Gankutsuo: The Count of
Monte Cristo, which takes Dumas' novel and sets it in the far future where
spaceships and pleasure jaunts to the Moon exist comfortably side by side
with swords and nobility. It's definitely surreal at times, and has perhaps
the most distinctive art style since FLCL (which I presume was already
mentioned, but if not, they don't come more surreal than that).

It also has the best trap in anime! ;p

-
Blade

chr...@balder.sabir.com

May 21, 2009, 8:27:16 AM5/21/09
On 2009-05-21, parv <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
> in message <4a1498cf$0$11845$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
> wrote Inu-Yasha ...
>
>> "parv" <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote in message
>
> I started seeing "Witch Hunter Robin" on Cartoon Network, but later
> lost interest: moved slowly; missed a few episodes in between; dealt
> with witches. Robin's costume was great though. Is it worth the
> effort to try it once more?

I definitely like it, but it's not for everybody. It is slow, but
the plot picks up strength afer the first 8-9 episodes of
"witch-hunt of the week". It is refreshing to watch more adult-level
conversations and interactions, instead of having everything
spelled out in dialog. (Angst is much easier to take that way!)
I think a good sense of empathy is needed to appreciate this and
other slow shows like "Noir".

It also doesn't hurt it for me that "Witch Hunter Robin" is strongly
patterned after one of the only US TV series of the past 30 years that
I consider worth watching: "La Femme Nikita".

Chris

paranormalized

May 21, 2009, 10:53:22 AM5/21/09
On May 20, 2:04 am, parv <parv...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
> well...)
>
> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism.  So
> far I have seen ...
>
>   Noein  (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>
>   Paprika  (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>
>   Paranoia Agent   (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>
>   Serial Experiment LAIN  (appreciated it only after the full series)
>
>   Welcome to NHK  (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)

Wow. A thread on surreal anime and nobody mentions Utena? And for
dealing with the psyche, there's always the Movie. But don't watch
the movie first, it's *too* weird without context.

However...

> ... are there other similar ones?  I certainly don't want too see
> any magical ones.

There is some magic involved, but they never fully explain the ins and
outs of the system there, just that some characters *can* use
something to manipulate the underlying reality, but only do so
occasionally. The most blatant uses are in the filler episodes of
comedy... And Utena goes through transformation sequences, but the
battles are character-revelation fencing.

Strange little series, there are *still* debates on who/what
characters X, Y, and Z are, the nature of reality in the story, and
just *what* happened.

Stick with it until you get to the first Juri episode, I believe it's
in the first 6 or 7 episodes. If the characters and surrealism
haven't drawn you in yet, it might not be your cup of tea, but it's
one of my all-time favorites.

Jonathan Fisher

Derek Janssen

May 21, 2009, 11:05:31 AM5/21/09
paranormalized wrote:

> On May 20, 2:04 am, parv <parv...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>
>>(Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>>well...)
>>
>>I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>>far I have seen ...
>>
>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>
>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>
>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>

> Wow. A thread on surreal anime and nobody mentions Utena?

Yes, it does seem to have dropped off the cultural map over the years,
hasn't it?

Derek Janssen (been a long time since it got auto fan-recommended just
for showing up and Being, Like, Really Different)
eja...@verizon.net

Blade

May 21, 2009, 11:27:36 AM5/21/09

"paranormalized" <paranor...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On May 20, 2:04 am, parv <parv...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>> well...)
>>
>> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>> far I have seen ...
>>
>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>>
>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>>
>> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>>
>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>>
>> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>>
> Wow. A thread on surreal anime and nobody mentions Utena? And for

Jeez, nobody had mentioned that?

I just assumed someone had.

Anyway, yes, above all else, get the Utena TV series (not the movie; you can
watch that later if you want, but it's a poor story whose main draw is how
pretty it is, and it will spoil parts of the infinitely superior series). It
won't seem TOO surreal at first, but watch up until The Castle Where
Eternity Dwells (episode 7, I believe). And then from there on in it gets
deeper and deeper like layers of an onion (princess?).

Utena is the best anime ever made, coming from someone who owns and loves
both Lain and Noein. It's really in a class by itself.

-
Blade

DBBrandell

May 21, 2009, 12:57:51 PM5/21/09
parv wrote:
> in message <gv0pmr$v2e$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> wrote Aje RavenStar ...
>
>> "Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> You can add Millennium Actress to that too. Satoshi Kon likes
>>> that surrealistic stuff. And I like Kon's stuff :)
>> You might like xxxHolic, deals with a lot of psyche and surreal situations.
>
> Thank you. How is "The movie: A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

The xxxHolic movie struck me as just a longer TV episode; it is only
about 65 minutes long. It does have the surrealism of the TV show, and
I liked it, but I didn't think it was anything special- no better
development of character or plot, just twice as many strange situations
because they had twice as much time.

DBB

Derek Janssen

May 21, 2009, 1:12:34 PM5/21/09
DBBrandell wrote:

> parv wrote:
>
>>>You might like xxxHolic, deals with a lot of psyche and surreal situations.
>>
>>Thank you. How is "The movie: A Midsummer Night's Dream"?
>
> The xxxHolic movie struck me as just a longer TV episode; it is only
> about 65 minutes long. It does have the surrealism of the TV show, and
> I liked it, but I didn't think it was anything special- no better
> development of character or plot, just twice as many strange situations
> because they had twice as much time.

And now that the first Series is on disk + usual-download-suspects, it's
easier to start from TV Ep. 1, and set up the premise--
Not that it's particularly complicated, but it's easy to get lost
without it.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

parv

May 23, 2009, 3:42:24 AM5/23/09
in message <slrnh1ai54...@balder.sabir.com>,
wrote chr...@balder.sabir.com ...

> On 2009-05-21, parv <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>> in message <4a1498cf$0$11845$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
>> wrote Inu-Yasha ...
>>
>>> "parv" <par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I started seeing "Witch Hunter Robin" on Cartoon Network, but
>> later lost interest: moved slowly; missed a few episodes in
>> between; dealt with witches. Robin's costume was great though.
>> Is it worth the effort to try it once more?
>
> I definitely like it, but it's not for everybody. It is slow, but
> the plot picks up strength afer the first 8-9 episodes of
> "witch-hunt of the week".

Ah, I see (will see it, /eventually/).

> It is refreshing to watch more adult-level conversations and
> interactions, instead of having everything spelled out in dialog.

Dialog? I was expecting "action" to be the last word in your reply.

:)

> (Angst is much easier to take that way!) I think a good sense of
> empathy is needed to appreciate this and other slow shows like
> "Noir".
>
> It also doesn't hurt it for me that "Witch Hunter Robin" is strongly
> patterned after one of the only US TV series of the past 30 years that
> I consider worth watching: "La Femme Nikita".

I loved "La Femme Nikita" series (made peace with last few episodes
which seemed bit of afterthought|stretch-y). I personally didn't get
the same impression of WHR as you did, from what little I did see. I
suppose "little" is the operating word here.

- parv

parv

May 23, 2009, 3:58:05 AM5/23/09
If an anime has been recommend to somebody else, I probably have
already listed it to be seen.

- self

in message <gv3g1u$rol$1...@news.albasani.net>,
wrote Blade ...

> Although you've already got a crapload of rentals, no discussion
> of surreal anime would be quite complete without mentioning
> Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo, which takes Dumas' novel and
> sets it in the far future where spaceships and pleasure jaunts to
> the Moon exist comfortably side by side with swords and nobility.

That would be interesting. A dose of space opera is long overdue.

> It's definitely surreal at times, and has perhaps the most
> distinctive art style since FLCL (which I presume was already
> mentioned, but if not, they don't come more surreal than that).

Art style alone should be worth watching (the anime).

> It also has the best trap in anime! ;p

(No idea what you actually mean; suppose will find out myself.)

- parv

parv

May 23, 2009, 4:13:04 AM5/23/09
in message <gv3rtg$cre$1...@news.albasani.net>,
wrote Blade ...

> "paranormalized" <paranor...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On May 20, 2:04 am, parv <parv...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:
>>> (Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>>> well...)
>>>
>>> I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>>> far I have seen ...
>>>
>>> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time
>>> travel)
>>>
>>> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)

>>> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full
>>> series)

>> Wow. A thread on surreal anime and nobody mentions Utena? And
>> for

> Anyway, yes, above all else, get the Utena TV series (not the
> movie; you can watch that later if you want, but it's a poor story
> whose main draw is how pretty it is, and it will spoil parts of
> the infinitely superior series). It won't seem TOO surreal at
> first, but watch up until The Castle Where Eternity Dwells
> (episode 7, I believe). And then from there on in it gets deeper
> and deeper like layers of an onion (princess?).

Thanks for the second heads up.

(I will have to find a source of Utena volumes 1, 4, 5 besides
Netflix given their availability has been "Unknown" for eons.)

> Utena is the best anime ever made, coming from someone who owns
> and loves both Lain and Noein. It's really in a class by itself.

- parv

parv

May 23, 2009, 4:23:00 AM5/23/09
in message <slrnh1fb6d....@localhost.holy.cow>,
wrote parv ...

> If an anime has been recommend to somebody else, I probably have

. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Curses! Please do replace "recommend" with "recommended".

> already listed it to be seen.
>
> - self

. ^ ^
. ^ ^
who forgot to proofread in a hurry to be famous

- parv

Nobody

May 23, 2009, 8:22:13 PM5/23/09
On Thu, 21 May 2009 07:00:56 -0500, chrisb wrote:

>>> I'd recommend a couple of others by ABe (Serial Experiment LAIN):
>>> Texhnolyze
>>> Haibane Renmei
>>> The two are very different from each other, but both are theme
>>> driven and psychologically deeper than the typical anime.
>>
>> Thank you; will put it in the list of anime to be seen.
>
> Texhnolyze in particular will be "hit-or-miss". Immediately after
> watching it, it was "miss" with me. I could greatly admire parts of
> it, but it was still disjointed (the plot was not strong enough to
> connect everything for me). After puzzling about it for a couple of
> weeks, I suddenly pieced together at least one of the major unifying
> themes and now regard it as one of my top anime.

It's worth mentioning that Texhnolyze becomes a bit more coherent after
the first couple of episodes; it isn't chopped editing and background
noise all the way through.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 25, 2009, 1:25:59 PM5/25/09
On Wed, 20 May 2009 07:04:11 +0000 (UTC), parv
<par...@yahooWhereElse.com> wrote:

>(Well, I haven't asked yet for any recommendations, so I just as
>well...)
>
>I am looking for animes which deal with pscyhe or surrealism. So
>far I have seen ...
>
> Noein (seen first few episodes so far; could tag it as time travel)
>
> Paprika (reminded me of Ghost in the Shell)
>

> Paranoia Agent (last 2 episodes were anti-climactic)
>

> Serial Experiment LAIN (appreciated it only after the full series)
>

> Welcome to NHK (could have ended short of 2-3 episodes)
>

>... are there other similar ones? I certainly don't want too see
>any magical ones.

Though I've only seen the first half of the first episode, Eden of
the East seems to be falling into this niche . . .

>(I prefer English|Hindi subtitles, failing that good English|Hindi
>dub. If you know that a series|movie is not available on Netflix,
>but is elsewhere legally (free|cheaper than buying DVD(s)
>themselves), please do share the source.)

Can't help ya here . . .

--

- ReFlex76