AX 08 ADV Panel - Over in the Real World . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 5, 2008, 12:36:52 AM7/5/08
Well, let's see . . .:

- ADV's still alive (gee, what a surprise)
- They found someone to repalce Soljitz, likely to be officially
announced at Otakon.
- They admited to a very bad year.
- They actually have more anime titles on their sights.
- Thanks to the success of Transformers, big studios have actually
become interested in the Eva live-action movie.
- Yeah, Mutineer's Moon, they know . . .

Anwyay, besides the screening of Kiba's first episode, not much
more to say on that . . .

I will say this: it has literally been an icredibly shitty week for
me (yes, *literally*), and just going to AX has been quite an effort.
I'll just say that anything harder than a wet Cheerio goes through me
like a bullet train through a tunnel, the "exit" being incredibly
unpleasant; I'm sure it's something I ate, just not sure what; and no,
unless you're cleaning my toilet improperly (or worse), this is *not*
contagious!

Walking down and up Figueroa Street has proven quite safe, but my
legs can barely handle the walks within the hotel (I still had to do
it for pre-reg). I swear, if I was 100% this'd have been great
exercise! Anyway, the shuttles have been a lifesaver.

On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
it!:

<http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>

Now, I'm going to soak in an Epsom Salt bath, hopefully feeling
better afterwards, and even better tomorrow morning . . .

Happy 4th of July everyone, no matter how you look at it . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2008, 1:39:31 AM7/5/08
On Jul 4, 9:36 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>    Well, let's see . . .:
>
> - ADV's still alive (gee, what a surprise)

It is surprising -- shocking no less with what's happened vis-a-vis
Sojitz and all of such.

In fact...

> - They found someone to repalce Soljitz, likely to be officially
> announced at Otakon.

I call bullshit to this.

And if they do actually introduce a replacement to Sojitz, it had damn
well better be the new owners and controllers of ADV. If it isn't,
the A-V head of the room should either respond to the announcement or
the end of the panel with the biggest damn laugh track he can find.

Because if this is true, someone got defrauded -- screwed over.

It's clear that ADV made Sojitz promises it couldn't keep (which see
the timing of the events of the last four days). What, short of
selling them the entire company, can they give any potential partner,
especially one rumored to have product Japan hasn't even seen yet?

So I call bullshit. They got nothing -- especially given the events
of the last 72 hours. I can't think that any potential partner has
not seen what Funimation has done. Do the right thing, get with the
winning side (the only company which can save American anime's
industry), and let ADV finally die for the good of all involved.

> - They admited to a very bad year.

In other news, the sky is blue and the grass is... well, green if
it's getting enough rain.

> - They actually have more anime titles on their sights.

*rimshot* I'll believe if it I see it -- and, on top of that, that
assures nothing until the releases start coming out. I'll be shocked
if they get *ONE* such release with their supposed "new partner".

> - Thanks to the success of Transformers, big studios have actually
> become interested in the Eva live-action movie.

That canard again?? Is this what they are banking the entire present
AND future of ADV Films on -- that someone is actually going to take
that psycho-mindfuck and make it a L-A movie?

>    Anwyay, besides the screening of Kiba's first episode, not much
> more to say on that . . .

Which is the same thing they did yesterday, by all accounts.

>    I will say this: it has literally been an icredibly shitty week for
> me (yes, *literally*), and just going to AX has been quite an effort.
> I'll just say that anything harder than a wet Cheerio goes through me
> like a bullet train through a tunnel, the "exit" being incredibly
> unpleasant; I'm sure it's something I ate, just not sure what; and no,
> unless you're cleaning my toilet improperly (or worse), this is *not*
> contagious!

It's probably the weather too -- the same thing happens to me when it
gets to 90 or so and I have to walk anywhere.

>   On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
> like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
> it!:
>
>   <http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>

Well, they have more stake in the anime industry now than anyone not
named Viz, Funimation, or Bandai. That should send you running to the
bathroom.

In fact, I gotta go now.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Jul 5, 2008, 2:49:58 AM7/5/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Well, let's see . . .:
>
> - Thanks to the success of Transformers, big studios have actually
> become interested in the Eva live-action movie.

..AND BOY, ARE *THEY* IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING!!! >_<

(At least, compared to the studio execs who greenlit the GI Joe movie,
on the same Transformers urges.)

It might have been a safer step to greenlight that 90's-limbo'ed "Star
Blazers" movie first (that Emmerich & Devlin were originally planning to
do with all the money they were going to make off of "Godzilla"), and
claim that the Dragonball Movie made them do it.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Jul 5, 2008, 9:46:07 AM7/5/08
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:36:52 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

<snip>

> On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
>like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
>it!:
>
> <http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>

Oh. Dear. Belldandy.

Somebody get that guy a fashion consultant! Stat!

(Or were you talking about the logo in the other half of the picture?)

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Aje RavenStar

Jul 5, 2008, 11:33:22 AM7/5/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:36:52 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
> <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
>>like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
>>it!:
>>
>> <http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>
>
> Oh. Dear. Belldandy.
>
> Somebody get that guy a fashion consultant! Stat!

I know what you mean. I had to run that shot through a picture editor
before I could be sure someone hadn't snuck in with Venus Hum's Blue Man
Group dress.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 5, 2008, 4:25:55 PM7/5/08
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:46:07 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:36:52 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
><AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
>>like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
>>it!:
>>
>> <http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>
>
>Oh. Dear. Belldandy.
>
>Somebody get that guy a fashion consultant! Stat!

Not nearly as bad as it looks! Mostly my flash doing it's thing
with the reflectors in the fabric; under normal light (for a dance)
they looked quite normal . . .

>(Or were you talking about the logo in the other half of the picture?)
>
><snip>

<Bugs Bunny>Myahhh, could be!</Bugs Bunny>

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2008, 6:54:23 PM7/6/08
On Jul 5, 6:46 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:36:52 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
>
> <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >  On another note, here's a pic, which I think some people here might
> >like, because of how "certain" others (well, one) would respond to
> >it!:
>
> >  <http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/ReFlex76/P7020224.jpg>
>
> Oh. Dear. Belldandy.
>
> Somebody get that guy a fashion consultant! Stat!
>
> (Or were you talking about the logo in the other half of the picture?)

The CrunchyRoll logo. Get used to it -- it's probably the future of
anime, as I feared when those sonsofbitches got that VC money earlier
this year.

Word is that they are the proposed ADV partners (in that case, cue the
laugh track doubly -- what does ADV have that CR would *want*? CR has
a more popular video service (and probably more reliable), ADV has no
meaningful recent titles... What, they think buying (into?) ADV is
going to give them legitimacy?? Look, as I said before, the ADV name
is becoming more and more shit with each passing month -- and you know
the industry is in trouble when a goddamn criminal who should be in
prison gets a keynote address at the biggest industry con in the
United States...

Mike