Lifestyles of the Rich and Anime . . .

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 2, 2008, 2:20:36 AM7/2/08
Watching Hayate no Gotoku, I couldn't help but notice there are
occassionaly some rich people in anime . . . I mean *ridiculously*
rich! In this show alone you not only have Nagi's "little" estate
(with it's own fully stocked lake and amusement park, among other
things besides the huge house itself), but other places owned by the
Sanzenin family, including her grandfather's moutaintop castle. There
are also the Saginomya's, and their more traditional, if still
gigantic place. Of course, in this show it's safer to just name Hakuo
Academy, it's ridiculous size, and the many ridiculously rich students
that attend it . . .

There was Hanaukyo Maid Tai, that palace Taro inherited from his
grandfather (including a bathroom where it takes an effort just to wak
form the door to the goldplated toilet), and the literal army of maids
that came (not pun intended) with it, ready to service him in every
way imaginable.

Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

iira...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2008, 3:59:10 AM7/2/08
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:20:36 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Watching Hayate no Gotoku, I couldn't help but notice there are
>occassionaly some rich people in anime . . . I mean *ridiculously*
>rich! In this show alone you not only have Nagi's "little" estate
>(with it's own fully stocked lake and amusement park, among other
>things besides the huge house itself), but other places owned by the
>Sanzenin family, including her grandfather's moutaintop castle. There
>are also the Saginomya's, and their more traditional, if still
>gigantic place. Of course, in this show it's safer to just name Hakuo
>Academy, it's ridiculous size, and the many ridiculously rich students
>that attend it . . .
>
> There was Hanaukyo Maid Tai, that palace Taro inherited from his
>grandfather (including a bathroom where it takes an effort just to wak
>form the door to the goldplated toilet), and the literal army of maids
>that came (not pun intended) with it, ready to service him in every
>way imaginable.
>
> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

There is the Mendo clan from Urusei Yatsura. They have their own
private army.

Travers Naran

Jul 2, 2008, 4:55:53 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Many...

Nishizawa clan from Sgt. Frog. She's got her own private play ground
with fast food outlets that only serve her (and Tamama). Also a private
army.

Yoshitaka Nakabayashi from "He is My Master".

Chiyo Mihama from "Azumanga Daioh".

Sei from Burst Angel: Maybe just because her clan can afford to support
two combat mechas.

Would Aoi Sakuraba from "Ai Yori Aoshi" count? Not really because
they're just emotionally dys-functionally ridiculous. :-P

All I can think of for now, but I've seen it a lot. I can't help
thinking it says something about the character of Japan that they're so
awed (in a good way) by extreme richness that leads to such freedom,
space and luxury. Probably the three things your average Japanese
wishes they had.

Curiously, the West seems to go through phases of admiring and envying
the rich (ala "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous") to looking down on
them and putting the hammer to them (e.g., the introduction of personal
income tax was during a low-popularity point for the rich).

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Heikki "vermes" Heiska

Jul 2, 2008, 5:03:33 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Akiko Natsume from Nuku Nuku.

Mehdi Tibouchi

Jul 2, 2008, 6:00:58 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote in message
<db6m64h5mpojv5gh7...@4ax.com>:

> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Every student of Ouran High School except Fujioka.

The Kuhouin family in Kure-nai (although the anime only hints at just how
rich and powerful they are).

Derek Janssen

Jul 2, 2008, 6:16:32 AM7/2/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?
>
> Many...

And no mention of the Mendou clan from UY must go without a mention of
the Mizunokoji clan, "who owns the *other* half of the country".

With natural self-cannibalizing Rumiko connections to the Kunou clan
from "Ranma 1/2", and the Mitaka clan from "Maison Ikkoku".

> Nishizawa clan from Sgt. Frog. She's got her own private play ground
> with fast food outlets that only serve her (and Tamama). Also a private
> army.
>

> Chiyo Mihama from "Azumanga Daioh".

And B-ko Daitokuji, from "Project A-Ko".

(Although, in the sequel, we get an idea of just *how* her dad made all
that money in the Mecha industry...)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Jul 2, 2008, 7:50:09 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wa:

> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Everyone except Tsukushi and her friend from middle school in Hana Yori
Dango. Doumyouji in particular is shown numerous times enjoying
excessive luxuries.

Tomoyo from Card Captor Sakura?

Sylia Stingray from Bubblegum Crisis.

Ai Suotome in Crayon Shin-chan.

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

Heikki "vermes" Heiska

Jul 2, 2008, 8:07:47 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Ayaka Yukihiro (Negima)
Manta Oyamada (Shaman King)

Lee Ratner

Jul 2, 2008, 8:45:03 AM7/2/08
On Jul 2, 2:20 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>    Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Hana Yori Dango is filled with ridiculously rich people but their
life style is portrayed more realistically than comedically. You can
argue that Utena is probably filled with the teenage children of
ridiculously rich people.

Aje RavenStar

Jul 2, 2008, 9:33:25 AM7/2/08

<iira...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And the take off on them, Truffle and his family (grandfather) from Trouble
Chocolate.

The Sohma family in Fruits Basket is considerably well to do, though I don't
know if they qualify as ridiculous. Turned out that Tohru was already
working for one of them at her part time job unknowingly before she met any
of them.

There's Kentaro Sakata, the anti-Keitaro, in Love Hina, but he eventually
runs through all his money chasing Naru and ends up working cheap for Haruka
to pay off debt to her. Maybe he wasn't that much of an
anti-Keitaro....(anime only character, I believe).

There's the Minoru character in Chobits. Again, can't say he's ridiculous.

Interesting how many of these are comic reliefs, ain't it?

Another question. Would or could 'Little Orphan Annie' be considered an
anime trope? There's Tohru in Fruits Baskets, taken in by the Sohma family;
Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi (not really an unrelated orphan but the only male
descendant of the wealthy family, just illegitimate); Shinobu in Love Hina,
taken in by the (at least propertied) Keitaro when her family falls apart
and he can't stand to see her miserable; Chi in Chobits; Anita King in
R.O.D. TV; Hizuki in Tsukuyomi -Moon Phase-; Lucy/Nyu, Nana, and Mayu in
Elfen Lied; and more. And male orphans such as Hibiki and others in
VanDread; Ayato in RahXephon; Kazuki in Dual; and others.

Mehdi Tibouchi

Jul 2, 2008, 10:56:05 AM7/2/08
Oh, and the Tennouzu, as well as many other families, in Speed Grapher.
Quite literally filthy rich.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 2, 2008, 11:42:28 AM7/2/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> Watching Hayate no Gotoku, I couldn't help but notice there are
> occassionaly some rich people in anime . . . I mean *ridiculously*
> rich! In this show alone you not only have Nagi's "little" estate
> (with it's own fully stocked lake and amusement park, among other
> things besides the huge house itself), but other places owned by the
> Sanzenin family, including her grandfather's moutaintop castle. There
> are also the Saginomya's, and their more traditional, if still
> gigantic place. Of course, in this show it's safer to just name Hakuo
> Academy, it's ridiculous size, and the many ridiculously rich students
> that attend it . . .
>
> There was Hanaukyo Maid Tai, that palace Taro inherited from his
> grandfather (including a bathroom where it takes an effort just to wak
> form the door to the goldplated toilet), and the literal army of maids
> that came (not pun intended) with it, ready to service him in every
> way imaginable.
>
> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?

Domyoji Tsukasa (Hana Yori Dango) springs to mind.

Also there's Kokubunji Minoru (Chobits), Nakabayashi Yoshitaka (He is My
Master), Yukihiro Ayaka (Negima), Chiyo-chan (Azumanga Daioh) as well as
all Ouran High School Host Club members except for Haruhi.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Aje RavenStar

Jul 2, 2008, 12:23:00 PM7/2/08

"Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Watching Hayate no Gotoku, I couldn't help but notice there are
>> occassionaly some rich people in anime . . . I mean *ridiculously*
>> rich! In this show alone you not only have Nagi's "little" estate
>> (with it's own fully stocked lake and amusement park, among other
>> things besides the huge house itself), but other places owned by the
>> Sanzenin family, including her grandfather's moutaintop castle. There
>> are also the Saginomya's, and their more traditional, if still
>> gigantic place. Of course, in this show it's safer to just name Hakuo
>> Academy, it's ridiculous size, and the many ridiculously rich students
>> that attend it . . .
>>
>> There was Hanaukyo Maid Tai, that palace Taro inherited from his
>> grandfather (including a bathroom where it takes an effort just to wak
>> form the door to the goldplated toilet), and the literal army of maids
>> that came (not pun intended) with it, ready to service him in every
>> way imaginable.
>>
>> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?
>
> Domyoji Tsukasa (Hana Yori Dango) springs to mind.
>
> Also there's Kokubunji Minoru (Chobits), Nakabayashi Yoshitaka (He is My
> Master), Yukihiro Ayaka (Negima), Chiyo-chan (Azumanga Daioh) as well as
> all Ouran High School Host Club members except for Haruhi.

Oh, yeah. I forgot the characters in Code Geass, for a currently running
show.

sanjian

Jul 2, 2008, 3:47:20 PM7/2/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> Travers Naran wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>>> Anway, any other examples of the ridiculously rich in anime?
>>
>> Many...
>
> And no mention of the Mendou clan from UY must go without a mention of
> the Mizunokoji clan, "who owns the *other* half of the country".
>
> With natural self-cannibalizing Rumiko connections to the Kunou clan
> from "Ranma 1/2", and the Mitaka clan from "Maison Ikkoku".

IIRC, the Mitakas were just well-off, not impossibly rich.

sanjian

Jul 2, 2008, 3:48:27 PM7/2/08

Similarly, the cast of Special A, minus one.

RLP

Jul 2, 2008, 8:14:33 PM7/2/08
Do gods who have their own Universes count?
The Tenchi Muyo gang is either part of a family that rules most of the
galaxy or diety types who consider them lab rats.

The most blatent non-god display of wealth had to be Lum paying off a
taxi fare equal to the value of all the petroleum on Earth. Just
pocket change of course.

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2008, 8:49:04 PM7/2/08
Layla Hamilton (Kaleido Star)

Somebody already got Chiyo...

Mike

Travers Naran

Jul 2, 2008, 9:31:33 PM7/2/08

The original question was RIDICULOUSLY rich. :-P
(It's a joke, laugh!)

Stephen Bierce

Jul 3, 2008, 12:22:50 AM7/3/08

The titular character of "Cleopatra DC", of course.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922
{Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Dave Watson

Jul 3, 2008, 11:49:17 AM7/3/08
On Jul 3, 12:22 am, sbie...@hotmail.com (Stephen Bierce) wrote:
> >Derek Janssen wrote:

> >> And no mention of the Mendou clan from UY must go without a mention of
> >> the Mizunokoji clan, "who owns the *other* half of the country".
>
> >> With natural self-cannibalizing Rumiko connections to the Kunou clan
> >> from "Ranma 1/2", and the Mitaka clan from "Maison Ikkoku".
>
> >IIRC, the Mitakas were just well-off, not impossibly rich.
>
> The titular character of "Cleopatra DC", of course.

A couple I just found after some watching last night: Yuka & Mika
Motegi from the ONA Saishuu Shiken Kujira. They qualify for my page
as well.

Mark Jones

Jul 3, 2008, 4:01:09 PM7/3/08
So how about lifestyles of the poor and anonymous? I think Neia 7 must
be one of the most ingratiating series in anime.........the protagonist
is so poor, her treasure is a hidden can of sardines ( and the guy who
likes her keeps bringing her bags of rice just to keep her alive
)...........

Aje RavenStar

Jul 3, 2008, 4:52:00 PM7/3/08

"Mark Jones" <faf...@msn.com> wrote in message

So research a bit and start the thread. Suzuo in Dokkoida?, Miyako from
Hidamari Sketch, Narue (it takes a special level of poverty to ensure that,
when you're needing to face down a knife-branishing space terrorist twice
your size with only a baseball bat to save your father, you make sure your
action includes steps not to lose the last few sips of milk in the bottle
you're holding in the other hand - gack, have I ever been there...) are your
starting points. Go, young otaku!

Galen

Jul 3, 2008, 5:12:54 PM7/3/08

Pudding of Tokyo Mew Mew, although she manages well.
Honda Tohru
Excel and Hyatt

Special:
Ranma Saotome, Akira of Virtua Fighter, and Ran of Carried
by the Wnd, have no money by intent - it's part of their training.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2008, 5:37:00 PM7/3/08
On Jul 3, 2:12 pm, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

> Excel and Hyatt

If we're calling those two -- then the three next-door neighbors also
apply.

Mike

RLP

Jul 3, 2008, 11:22:15 PM7/3/08
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:12:54 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

Well yeh. Of course Ran's also a drunk, not that that's a bad thing.
(Sitting here guzzling a double Cutty and soda)

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 4, 2008, 12:29:14 AM7/4/08
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 1:01pm-0700, Mark Jones <faf...@msn.com>:

If debts count, then Faye Valentine could be up there.
Actually, the rest of the Bebop crew live from paycheck to paycheck.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 4, 2008, 1:07:28 AM7/4/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Thu, 3 Jul 2008 1:01pm-0700, Mark Jones <faf...@msn.com>:
>
>> So how about lifestyles of the poor and anonymous? I think Neia 7 must
>> be one of the most ingratiating series in anime.........the protagonist
>> is so poor, her treasure is a hidden can of sardines ( and the guy who
>> likes her keeps bringing her bags of rice just to keep her alive
>> )...........
>>

> If debts count, then Faye Valentine could be up there.
> Actually, the rest of the Bebop crew live from paycheck to paycheck.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor, a homeless bum at the time he decides to
enlist.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Derek Janssen

Jul 4, 2008, 5:38:19 AM7/4/08
Galen wrote:

> Special:
> Ranma [and Genma] Saotome

> have no money by intent - it's part of their training.

...Suuure it is. 9_9

(And, since all Ranma-verse elements have their roots in UY, that also
qualifies Ryuunusuke & Dad's championship-level scrounging--
Onsen-mark and Mr. Moroboshi are only *getting by*, in comparison.)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

sanjian

Jul 4, 2008, 7:01:14 AM7/4/08

Maris the Chojo - poverty sucks.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 4, 2008, 8:48:08 AM7/4/08
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
> Pudding of Tokyo Mew Mew, although she manages well.
> Honda Tohru
> Excel and Hyatt
>
> Special:
> Ranma Saotome, Akira of Virtua Fighter, and Ran of Carried
> by the Wnd, have no money by intent - it's part of their training.

Again, "Hana Yori Dango" springs to mind (Makino Tsukushi this time).
"Binbou Shimai" too.

Megane

Jul 4, 2008, 2:06:07 PM7/4/08
In article <g4l668...@news.in-ulm.de>,

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
> > Pudding of Tokyo Mew Mew, although she manages well.
> > Honda Tohru
> > Excel and Hyatt
> >
> > Special:
> > Ranma Saotome, Akira of Virtua Fighter, and Ran of Carried
> > by the Wnd, have no money by intent - it's part of their training.
>
> Again, "Hana Yori Dango" springs to mind (Makino Tsukushi this time).
> "Binbou Shimai" too.
>
> cu
> 59cobalt

Jigoku Sensei Nube had Binbou Shimai thanks to Binbougami himself in one
episode.

And of course the crew of Cowboy Bebop has a few money problems.

Megane

Jul 4, 2008, 2:07:08 PM7/4/08
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

> Thu, 3 Jul 2008 1:01pm-0700, Mark Jones <faf...@msn.com>:
>
> > So how about lifestyles of the poor and anonymous? I think Neia 7 must
> > be one of the most ingratiating series in anime.........the protagonist
> > is so poor, her treasure is a hidden can of sardines ( and the guy who
> > likes her keeps bringing her bags of rice just to keep her alive
> >

> If debts count, then Faye Valentine could be up there.
> Actually, the rest of the Bebop crew live from paycheck to paycheck.

And of course Hayate from Hayate no Gotoku. The whole premise of the
show is based on debt.