Funimation is going to announce 10 licensed series in 10 days.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 16, 2008, 3:06:48 PM12/16/08

Arnold Kim

Dec 16, 2008, 3:32:02 PM12/16/08

"Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9B76D7CF76...@217.19.16.66...

> Any guesses?
>
> http://www.joshsanimeblog.com/2008/12/15/funimation-set-to-announce-10-
> licenses-in-10-days/
>
> Soul Eater obviously, any more?

I'm hoping one of them is Slayers Revolution.

Arnold Kim

Derek Janssen

Dec 16, 2008, 3:48:42 PM12/16/08
Arnold Kim wrote:

And tell me that "Asking our opinion" thing wasn't just a publicity
stunt and they're not damn-the-torpedoes going ahead with the Sgt. Frog
dub anyway...
(Which could result in angry crowds of fans pelting Funi headquarters
with bean dip.)

Derek Janssen (but I'll settle for Revolution) ^_^
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2008, 4:52:44 PM12/16/08
On Dec 16, 12:48 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
> > "Giovanni Wassen" <exta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >>Any guesses?
>
> >>http://www.joshsanimeblog.com/2008/12/15/funimation-set-to-announce-10-
> >>licenses-in-10-days/
>
> >>Soul Eater obviously, any more?
>
> > I'm hoping one of them is Slayers Revolution.
>
> And tell me that "Asking our opinion" thing wasn't just a publicity
> stunt and they're not damn-the-torpedoes going ahead with the Sgt. Frog
> dub anyway...
> (Which could result in angry crowds of fans pelting Funi headquarters
> with bean dip.)

Well, that's three -- I still wonder where they are getting the money
to license this many series in this economy...

I'd take a look at the recent C&D's for more information...

Mike

Rob Kelk

Dec 16, 2008, 6:06:56 PM12/16/08
On 16 Dec 2008 20:06:48 GMT, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any guesses?
>
>http://www.joshsanimeblog.com/2008/12/15/funimation-set-to-announce-10-
>licenses-in-10-days/
>
>Soul Eater obviously, any more?

Maybe sub-licences of some of the titles that Kadokawa licenced this
year...?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"

Inu-Yasha

Dec 16, 2008, 8:48:46 PM12/16/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

They had quite a list on an insert in the Red Garden Collection 2 I just
received, listing many titles out through Jan 27th [these are of course
releases and not new license aquisitions], and not a blip about Sgt Frog.
^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

The Wanderer

Dec 16, 2008, 9:38:25 PM12/16/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> Mike

Now, why in the world was this one post not caught by the filter? All of
the rest of it has been, and I don't see any relevant differences...

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 17, 2008, 12:03:58 AM12/17/08
The Wanderer <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Mike
>
> Now, why in the world was this one post not caught by the filter? All of
> the rest of it has been, and I don't see any relevant differences...

Indeed. But back in he goes.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 5:38:02 PM12/17/08
On Dec 16, 9:03 pm, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Wanderer <inversepara...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> >> Mike
>
> > Now, why in the world was this one post not caught by the filter? All of
> > the rest of it has been, and I don't see any relevant differences...
>
> Indeed. But back in he goes.

You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once and
for all.

Mike

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 17, 2008, 7:32:20 PM12/17/08

If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we
wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

The Wanderer

Dec 17, 2008, 9:32:05 PM12/17/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 9:03 pm, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once
>> and for all.
>

> If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we
> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.

And despite my not having made a single change to my killfile before or
afterwards, he's now being filtered out again. Something must have been
wonky for just that one post...

selaboc

Dec 18, 2008, 8:10:50 AM12/18/08
On Dec 17, 7:32 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Indeed. But back in he goes.
>
> > You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once and
> > for all.
>
> > Mike
>
>         If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we
> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.

Indeed and his postings never cease to be funny current example being
his. asking "what money?" of the one publically traded anime company
(thus whose finiancial situation is public record) that we know (again
from the public record) is making a profit. He wants to know what
money, all he has to do is look at the annual reports and see that
Funi has been making a profit year after year.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 1:11:45 AM12/19/08
On Dec 17, 4:32 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Indeed. But back in he goes.
>
> > You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once and
> > for all.

>         If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we

> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.

You're going to have to do a better job than that -- or any other
filter you've come up with.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 1:26:27 AM12/19/08
On Dec 17, 4:32 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Indeed. But back in he goes.
>
> > You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once and
> > for all.

>         If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we

> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.

You're going to have to do a better job than that -- or any other

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 1:28:21 AM12/19/08

Well, that would be nice, except I was given the following information
by Travers earlier this evening:

(He'd have done it himself, but, well...)

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent.aspx?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/12-17-2008/0004943836&EDATE=

"To deal with the effect of the recession, we are moving quickly to
decrease expenses in all areas of our business. BCI's operations have
been unprofitable for the past two years. Although strides have been
made this year to improve operating results, it has been mainly due to
the strength of BCI's exclusive distribution business. Rapidly
changing conditions in the licensed and budget DVD markets during this
holiday sales season have prompted us to make more fundamental
changes. In response, we are closing BCI's licensing unit in order to
position our overall business for enhanced financial results upon the
improvement of macro economic conditions."

I would pay special attention to the first sentence, and ask you to
look at your position again, given these facts.

Mike (Don't count on seeing any of the 10 titles they are proposing.)

Dave Watson

Dec 19, 2008, 1:55:03 AM12/19/08
On Dec 19, 1:28 am, darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> Mike (Don't count on seeing any of the 10 titles they are proposing.)

If they do release them, I wonder if Dorkstar will admit that he's
wrong and fuck off at last.

Watson.

Travers Naran

Dec 19, 2008, 2:20:02 AM12/19/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> Mike (Don't count on seeing any of the 10 titles they are proposing.)

I think we will see the 10 titles announced, but I suspect their release
dates on DVD will be staggered across two years. Although some of those
titles may go to a streaming site first.

On a related note, Crunchyroll sent me a note offering me an early
chance to upgrade my account to a paid account for the real-time subs
coming in January.

They mentioned I could buy a subscription as a Christmas gift.

How about it, Darkstar: want a Crunchyroll paid account for Christmas? :-)

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 19, 2008, 2:13:20 AM12/19/08
Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ever got struck by lightning or win a multi-million lottery? That will
happen before the stalking lunatic will go away.

BTW, I really hope Nodame Cantabile will be licensed, loved that series and
would love to own it.

Travers Naran

Dec 19, 2008, 3:01:21 AM12/19/08
selaboc wrote:

> Indeed and his postings never cease to be funny current example being
> his. asking "what money?" of the one publically traded anime company
> (thus whose finiancial situation is public record) that we know (again
> from the public record) is making a profit. He wants to know what
> money, all he has to do is look at the annual reports and see that
> Funi has been making a profit year after year.

Navarre's financials are a little opaque. Navarre has several lines of
business of which FUNimation is just one, and they provide very little
information on Funimation's cash flow so one can't say if they are
experiencing increased sales of DVDs per titles or increased sales due
to simply having more titles:

(From their Oct 31 financial update)
"FUNimation saw net sales gains during the second quarter as a result of
the recent acquisition of a significant amount of new content, as well
as several new digital distribution agreements."

And that's the sole discussion of FUNimation's performance. When they
report any numbers, it's mixed in with their Encore business and BCI.

We don't know for certain what FUNimation's actual profitability is --
they don't break out FUNimation's income and expenses.

And Navarre's not doing so well:

http://finance.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANAVR (scroll to key stats &
ratios).

Net profit margin
Quarterly (Sep 08): -26.14%
Annual (2008): 1.07%
Last twelve months: -5.64%

That ain't healthy, dude!

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 19, 2008, 3:04:42 AM12/19/08
Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And Navarre's not doing so well:
>
> http://finance.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANAVR (scroll to key stats &
> ratios).
>
> Net profit margin
> Quarterly (Sep 08): -26.14%
> Annual (2008): 1.07%
> Last twelve months: -5.64%
>
> That ain't healthy, dude!

Yes, but look around the world, economic crisis and all.

Pinku-Sensei

Dec 19, 2008, 4:42:09 AM12/19/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote in

> On Dec 17, 4:32 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > You can't filter me enough without taking me off the Internet once
>> > and for all.

Daring people to netcop you, crusader?

>> If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we
>> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.
>
> You're going to have to do a better job than that --

A better job of pointing and laughing at you? That can be arranged.

> or any otherfilter you've come up with.

"No killfile can contain me!" Yeah, I've read that boast before.
--
Pinku-Sensei
FNVW of AUK

selaboc

Dec 19, 2008, 8:04:04 AM12/19/08
On Dec 19, 3:01 am, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> selaboc wrote:
>
> > Indeed and his postings never cease to be funny current example being
> > his. asking "what money?" of the one publically traded anime company
> > (thus whose finiancial situation is public record) that we know (again
> > from the public record) is making a profit. He wants to know what
> > money, all he has to do is look at the annual reports and see that
> > Funi has been making a profit year after year.
>
> Navarre's financials are a little opaque.  Navarre has several lines of
> business of which FUNimation is just one, and they provide very little
> information on Funimation's cash flow so one can't say if they are
> experiencing increased sales of DVDs per titles or increased sales due
> to simply having more titles:

Yes, Navarre overall isn't in the best of shape, but FUNimation itself
is. If you look at the finiancal reports they CONSISTENTLY report FUNi
as making profit and net gains. CONSISTENTLY. I don't think I've seen
a report in the past couple of years in which they didn't report some
kind of profit or gain for FUNi.

selaboc

Dec 19, 2008, 8:07:23 AM12/19/08
On Dec 19, 1:28 am, darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 18, 5:10 am, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> BCI's operations have
> been unprofitable for the past two years.

BCI is not FUNi you idiot. While they may both be subsideraies/
division of Navarre, they are two seperate parts of the company.

selaboc

Dec 19, 2008, 8:08:30 AM12/19/08

He hasn't yet despite the numerous times and things he's been wrong
about so far, given that track record I'd think not.

Rob Kelk

Dec 19, 2008, 9:45:06 AM12/19/08
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:01:21 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>And Navarre's not doing so well:
>
>http://finance.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANAVR (scroll to key stats &
>ratios).
>
>Net profit margin
>Quarterly (Sep 08): -26.14%
>Annual (2008): 1.07%
>Last twelve months: -5.64%
>
>That ain't healthy, dude!

It's substantially better than Ford or GM managed in the same time
periods. And they're an entertainment company - the fact they turned a
profit at all this year is good news.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 19, 2008, 5:58:55 PM12/19/08

I don't filter. That way I can mock all of you.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 9:42:44 PM12/19/08
On Dec 19, 1:42 am, "Pinku-Sensei" <pinku-sen...@caballista.org>
wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote innews:c57a466b-10b3-4700...@b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Dec 17, 4:32 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> Daring people to netcop you, crusader?
>
> >> If we took all the trolls and losers like you off the Intarwebs, we
> >> wouldn't have nearly as many people to point and laugh at.
>
> > You're going to have to do a better job than that --
>
> A better job of pointing and laughing at you?  That can be arranged.
>
> > or any otherfilter you've come up with.
>
> "No killfile can contain me!"  Yeah, I've read that boast before.

Yes. But, if you read the post that I referred to, _they're the ones
who are saying that my posts don't seem to score out_ on occasion.
So, I have no reason not to make that boast.

Mike (Besides, you've been around long enough to know the only ways to
really get rid of a person considered a troll.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 9:43:38 PM12/19/08
On Dec 18, 11:20 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Mike (Don't count on seeing any of the 10 titles they are proposing.)
>
> I think we will see the 10 titles announced, but I suspect their release
> dates on DVD will be staggered across two years.  Although some of those
> titles may go to a streaming site first.
>
> On a related note, Crunchyroll sent me a note offering me an early
> chance to upgrade my account to a paid account for the real-time subs
> coming in January.
>
> They mentioned I could buy a subscription as a Christmas gift.
>
> How about it, Darkstar: want a Crunchyroll paid account for Christmas? :-)

I almost dare you. Funny to see how long I would last on there before
I promptly got banned for turning these nutcases into a nuclear
wasteland.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 9:44:21 PM12/19/08

And, congratulations -- YOU COMPLETELY IGNORED READING THE RELEVANT
PART OF THE RELEASE vis-a-vis Funimation.

Try again, space ca-det.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 9:46:44 PM12/19/08
On Dec 19, 12:01 am, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Navarre's financials are a little opaque.  Navarre has several lines of
> business of which FUNimation is just one, and they provide very little
> information on Funimation's cash flow so one can't say if they are
> experiencing increased sales of DVDs per titles or increased sales due
> to simply having more titles:
>
> (From their Oct 31 financial update)
> "FUNimation saw net sales gains during the second quarter as a result of
> the recent acquisition of a significant amount of new content, as well
> as several new digital distribution agreements."
>
> And that's the sole discussion of FUNimation's performance.  When they
> report any numbers, it's mixed in with their Encore business and BCI.

And here's the thing: SALES increase, and admittedly as a result of
the Sojitz titles and the Geneon rescues they were able to get out
before October 31.

Did that sales increase cover the costs incurred (even by those titles
alone)?

I doubt it seriously.

> We don't know for certain what FUNimation's actual profitability is --
> they don't break out FUNimation's income and expenses.
>
> And Navarre's not doing so well:
>

> http://finance.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANAVR(scroll to key stats &

> ratios).
>
> Net profit margin
> Quarterly (Sep 08): -26.14%
> Annual (2008): 1.07%
> Last twelve months: -5.64%
>
> That ain't healthy, dude!

Not even close. Which is why, when they say they have to cut expenses
in EVERY DIVISION (emphasis mine), that is relevant information to us.

As I said nearly six months ago now, the health of Navarre Corp. is
the business of every anime fan.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 9:47:43 PM12/19/08

I'm just saying, given the reduction in expenses, don't count on them.

If you wish to do so, you do so at your own (so to speak) peril.

Mike

Travers Naran

Dec 20, 2008, 12:13:46 AM12/20/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> Did that sales increase cover the costs incurred (even by those titles
> alone)?

I no longer feel like posting publicly on this topic, so forgive me if I
keep replying to you by e-mail. :-)

The answers to your questions are buried in here:

http://finance.google.ca/finance?fstype=bi&q=NASDAQ:NAVR

Just click through the numbers, and Investopedia is your friend. :-)

Basically, there is some justification to thinking that FUNImation saved
Navarre, and that FUNI is doing well. Navarre bought FUNI in 2005, and
the change between March 2005 and March 2006 is dramatic.

Over here, we have a proxy for FUNImation's income:
http://finance.google.ca/finance?fstype=bi&q=NASDAQ:NAVR

Before FUNI: 596.62 million
After FUNI: 615.56 million

So about 18 million dollars a year at that time. Sounds good to me, but
considering that could also include a bump from the other subsidiaries,
it's hard to know for certain but probably most of that $18 mil is
FUNImation's revenue.

Also, it seems Navarre is busy paying down it's debt:

Mar 2008: 41.18
Mar 2007: 54.18
Mar 2006: 80.47
(Funimation is bought in between here)
Mar 2005: 0.57

But the numbers closer to what you want are here:
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/ratios?rpc=66&symbol=NAVR.O#management

"Management Effectiveness". The first column in Navarre. The remaining
columns are the Industry average, Sector average and finally the market
in general. Not too great huh?

It's sort of a mixed picture. The stock research from my online broker
shows the one or two analysts who watch it think highly of it
(estimating a price target of $4/share in two years).

Since I own shares of Navarre, I wonder if I get free annual reports...?

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 1:11:16 AM12/20/08
On Dec 19, 9:13 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Did that sales increase cover the costs incurred (even by those titles
> > alone)?
>
> I no longer feel like posting publicly on this topic, so forgive me if I
> keep replying to you by e-mail. :-)

I have no problem with it, but I think the deluded do. :)

> The answers to your questions are buried in here:
>
> http://finance.google.ca/finance?fstype=bi&q=NASDAQ:NAVR
>
> Just click through the numbers, and Investopedia is your friend. :-)
>
> Basically, there is some justification to thinking that FUNImation saved
> Navarre, and that FUNI is doing well. Navarre bought FUNI in 2005, and
> the change between March 2005 and March 2006 is dramatic.

If you notice: Except for the specific points about the economy, I
have tried to say that Navarre would go under, not necessarily
Funimation.

This is the concern I have always had about Fukunaga's strategies of
taking over all American anime. I don't think he had envisioned this
kind of a retail downturn. If he had, I don't think he would've taken
on essentially two failed companies' catalogs. I fear Funimation's
attempt to take over American anime will overextend an extremely
fragile Navarre (which already went bankrupt once in the late 1990's)
to the point where either someone has to come in and buy it or watch
Funi fall with Navarre.

With the retail economy where it is, I fear it will be the latter, as
Fukunaga's attempts will be seen as overextension.

You are quite correct that without Funimation, Navarre is beyond
toast.

> Over here, we have a proxy for FUNImation's income:http://finance.google.ca/finance?fstype=bi&q=NASDAQ:NAVR
>
> Before FUNI: 596.62 million
> After FUNI: 615.56 million
>
> So about 18 million dollars a year at that time. Sounds good to me, but
> considering that could also include a bump from the other subsidiaries,
> it's hard to know for certain but probably most of that $18 mil is
> FUNImation's revenue.

Here's the problem: You're talking about when Navarre acquired Funi,
correct?

> Also, it seems Navarre is busy paying down it's debt:
>
> Mar 2008: 41.18
> Mar 2007: 54.18
> Mar 2006: 80.47
> (Funimation is bought in between here)
> Mar 2005: 0.57

Right, but here's the rub: They may not be able to get that paid down
much beyond that in the present retail economy. Hence, their decision
(which you sent me) to shut down BCI.

> It's sort of a mixed picture. The stock research from my online broker
> shows the one or two analysts who watch it think highly of it
> (estimating a price target of $4/share in two years).
>
> Since I own shares of Navarre, I wonder if I get free annual reports...?

I'd ask for reconsideration on that one, given the retail economy.
They're forecasting a 300-400% increase in the stock price based on --
what?

It'd have to be almost Funimation alone, given most indicators -- but
_why_??

Mike (Genuinely puzzled...)

Pinku-Sensei

Dec 20, 2008, 3:04:16 AM12/20/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote in

> On Dec 19, 1:42 am, "Pinku-Sensei" <pinku-sen...@caballista.org>
> wrote:
>> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote

>> innews:c57a466b-10b3-4700-9afb-e6c2a41bf775@

> b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

>> Daring people to netcop you, crusader?

Note: No response.

>> > You're going to have to do a better job than that --
>>
>> A better job of pointing and laughing at you?  That can be arranged.

Guvf syrj bire Qbexfgne'f urnq--naq n tbbq guvat, gbb!

>> > or any otherfilter you've come up with.
>>
>> "No killfile can contain me!"  Yeah, I've read that boast before.
>
> Yes. But, if you read the post that I referred to, _they're the ones
> who are saying that my posts don't seem to score out_ on occasion.

All that means is that /some/ killfiles can't contain you, not that /no/
killfiles can contain you. For someone who claims to be logical, you are
vastly overstating your case.

> So, I have no reason not to make that boast.

As I pointed out above, you're coming to a too powerful conclusion from the
evidence available. However, go ahead and keep making it if you believe
it. Your new readership will come to expect it. Besides, if you get fed
up with being in too many killfiles, you can get a new throwaway email
address and morph, just like you did when switched over from being
"starcade" to your current identity.

Speaking of your time as "starcade," are you still listening to Debbie
Gibson? Or has your interest in American Idol supplanted her?

> Mike (Besides, you've been around long enough to know the only ways to
> really get rid of a person considered a troll.)

Sure, I have, and can even name more than you list. As you've mentioned,
the first is to abandon the forum to the troll and move to a moderated one.
I've seen that done before. This doesn't really get rid of the troll, as
the user can still stick around the original forum, but it does separate
the offended users from the source of their aggravation.

As an aside, I notice you didn't list that option for Chad Bryant.

MID: <551cfde7-9b7b-4b9e...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>

The second is to report the poster for abuse to his or her provider. Mind
you, Google Groups is notorious for not responding to abuse complaints that
other NSPs would treat seriously, although commercial spam seems to get
their attention quickly enough. Of course, that alone might not stop you.
I've seen one person (Richard Scoville) run through more than 70 Google
Groups accounts, to say nothing of people who jump from NSP to NSP. Are
you prepared to do that to continue your crusade?

The third is to simply wait out the troll, and hope that something happens
to them in meatspace to make them stop posting. I've seen that happen
multiple times. Then again, I've seen a fellow get convicted of eight
felony counts, stage a hunger strike, and get released. He's still posting
to this day. Is telling the fans of an entertainment of their interest's
impending DOOM worth that much to you? Or are the otaku of raam just that
special for you, considering you don't do the same to the reality TV fans
or the pro wrestling fans?

However, all that assumes you're merely a troll. I think you're well
beyond that. You are a mission poster. You've been on this crusade
against fansubbers and the fans who enable them since December 2005 and
it's reached the point where, no matter how valid your understanding of the
underlying business model, very few fans on raam are willing to read you
and take you seriously anymore. Yet you persist. If you don't wish to
quit, then it's time to find you a new readership who will pay attention to
you.

So, how badly do you want readers, Dorkstar?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 20, 2008, 3:26:53 AM12/20/08

From the "clues":

Ichigo 100%
Oh! Edo Rocket
Evangelion Rebuild
xxxHolic Kei

That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

John "C"

Dec 20, 2008, 6:28:51 AM12/20/08

"Pinku-Sensei" <pinku-...@caballista.org> wrote in message
> Pinky-Sue Lamb
> Queeen of AUK
> Acting Ghay in AFA-B

Nice Ko0kDance, Miss Pinky Sue Lamb !!

I've never seen you move that fast, are you going through, "The Change
of Life"?

Poor Pinky Sue..........You have All my Pity !!!!

Faggot.........FOAD !!!!!!

Your Pal,
HJ

Rob Kelk

Dec 20, 2008, 11:34:21 AM12/20/08
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 05:13:46 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>Since I own shares of Navarre, I wonder if I get free annual reports...?

In Canada, they're required by law to send you annual statements. I
believe it's the same in the USA.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 9:54:01 PM12/20/08
On Dec 20, 12:04 am, "Pinku-Sensei" <pinku-sen...@caballista.org>
wrote:

> >> Daring people to netcop you, crusader?
>
> Note: No response.

Didn't see it.

I'm daring them to do a lot more than just _net_cop me.

> >> A better job of pointing and laughing at you?  That can be arranged.
>
> Guvf syrj bire Qbexfgne'f urnq--naq n tbbq guvat, gbb!

Ab vg qvqa'g. Gur qryhqrq va n znffvir pvepyr-wrex nzbatfg
gurzfryirf. Gurl qba'g ernyvmr gung V'z abg urer sbe gurz.

> >> "No killfile can contain me!"  Yeah, I've read that boast before.
>
> > Yes.  But, if you read the post that I referred to, _they're the ones
> > who are saying that my posts don't seem to score out_ on occasion.
>
> All that means is that /some/ killfiles can't contain you, not that /no/
> killfiles can contain you.  For someone who claims to be logical, you are
> vastly overstating your case.

Well, then I suggest the try to find others. I've literally read
dozens of such posts over the last year or so.

Ain't my damned fault their killfiles suck.

> > So, I have no reason not to make that boast.
>
> As I pointed out above, you're coming to a too powerful conclusion from the
> evidence available.  However, go ahead and keep making it if you believe
> it.  Your new readership will come to expect it.  Besides, if you get fed
> up with being in too many killfiles, you can get a new throwaway email
> address and morph, just like you did when switched over from being
> "starcade" to your current identity.

That wasn't my fault either -- at least not the one on Google Groups.
Something outside Google Groups morphed (when I had to get a Gmail
account to access a friend's blog that they wanted accessed) my
starcade one into the Gmail one.

Trust me, not by my choice. Talk to Google on that one.

> Speaking of your time as "starcade," are you still listening to Debbie
> Gibson?  Or has your interest in American Idol supplanted her?

Still am. And, as far as American Idol goes, let's just say a
restraining order against me with respect to them might be in order as
well.

(Anything which can be done to get that piece of shit off the
television airwaves once and for all...)

> > Mike (Besides, you've been around long enough to know the only ways to
> > really get rid of a person considered a troll.)
>
> Sure, I have, and can even name more than you list.  As you've mentioned,
> the first is to abandon the forum to the troll and move to a moderated one.
> I've seen that done before.  This doesn't really get rid of the troll, as
> the user can still stick around the original forum, but it does separate
> the offended users from the source of their aggravation.

I suggested that too -- but I'm talking about actually _getting rid of
the person considered a troll_.

I've read stories on how those people operate. You either gotta put
them where this is no Internet, ever -- or take them out completely.

> As an aside, I notice you didn't list that option for Chad Bryant.

I ignore him as much as humanly possible. For him, scum sinks.

Or is that for his proposed pseudonym, Robby Stickler?

(Not necessarily that Robby IS Chad, but a hostile takeover of a
newsroup is quite the feat for the little bitch.)

> MID: <551cfde7-9b7b-4b9e-891a-5bbf74433...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>

> The second is to report the poster for abuse to his or her provider.  Mind
> you, Google Groups is notorious for not responding to abuse complaints that
> other NSPs would treat seriously, although commercial spam seems to get
> their attention quickly enough.  Of course, that alone might not stop you.
> I've seen one person (Richard Scoville) run through more than 70 Google
> Groups accounts, to say nothing of people who jump from NSP to NSP.  Are
> you prepared to do that to continue your crusade?

As I said, you have to go beyond _net_cop, especially for someone like
me.

Ever read the poem about a day late and a gun short of a shooting
rampage?

Had that in mind about 18 1/2 months ago...

> The third is to simply wait out the troll, and hope that something happens
> to them in meatspace to make them stop posting.  I've seen that happen
> multiple times.  Then again, I've seen a fellow get convicted of eight
> felony counts, stage a hunger strike, and get released.  He's still posting
> to this day.  Is telling the fans of an entertainment of their interest's
> impending DOOM worth that much to you?  Or are the otaku of raam just that
> special for you, considering you don't do the same to the reality TV fans
> or the pro wrestling fans?

Actually, I consider most of the pro wrestling fans who post to RSPW
(and to RMADG, erm... RSPW-Lite) to be about the mental equivalent of
a piece of cow shit -- between them.

It's not that I wouldn't -- they don't merit my time.

I don't do this for the delusional thieves who populate the anime
fandom (on this group or otherwise).

Yes, it is of my interest to tell them this, because THEY ARE CAUSING
IT!

> However, all that assumes you're merely a troll.  I think you're well
> beyond that.  You are a mission poster.  You've been on this crusade
> against fansubbers and the fans who enable them since December 2005 and
> it's reached the point where, no matter how valid your understanding of the
> underlying business model, very few fans on raam are willing to read you
> and take you seriously anymore.  Yet you persist.  If you don't wish to
> quit, then it's time to find you a new readership who will pay attention to
> you.

That will come along in time, long after these guys are gone when
anime no longer exists.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 9:55:27 PM12/20/08
On Dec 20, 12:26 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:55:03 -0800 (PST), Dave Watson
>
> <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 19, 1:28 am, darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Mike (Don't count on seeing any of the 10 titles they are proposing.)
>
> >If they do release them, I wonder if Dorkstar will admit that he's
> >wrong and fuck off at last.
>
>   From the "clues":
>
> Ichigo 100%
> Oh! Edo Rocket
> Evangelion Rebuild
> xxxHolic Kei
>
>    That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .

And you count on seeing any of those, given that we know already that
Navarre has to cut expenses in all of its divisions? And if they're
making that announcement NOW, and not in January...

Mike

Derek Janssen

Dec 20, 2008, 11:24:59 PM12/20/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> From the "clues":
>
> Ichigo 100%
> Oh! Edo Rocket
> Evangelion Rebuild
> xxxHolic Kei
>
> That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .

Well, *five*, counting those for whom the "Van dread" card didn't fly
over their head... ^_^

Oh, and forgot http://funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccdk129cfjha2.jpg , think.

Derek Janssen (counting on Monte Carlo and Christy)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2008, 1:41:20 AM12/21/08
On Dec 20, 8:24 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>
> >   From the "clues":
>
> > Ichigo 100%
> > Oh! Edo Rocket
> > Evangelion Rebuild
> > xxxHolic Kei
>
> >    That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .
>
> Well, *five*, counting those for whom the "Van dread" card didn't fly
> over their head...  ^_^

I was going to mention that, but I didn't think you were that...

Mike (Wait, of COURSE I do...)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 21, 2008, 2:48:33 PM12/21/08
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:24:59 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> From the "clues":
>>
>> Ichigo 100%
>> Oh! Edo Rocket
>> Evangelion Rebuild
>> xxxHolic Kei
>>
>> That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .
>
>Well, *five*, counting those for whom the "Van dread" card didn't fly
>over their head... ^_^

Here I thought Vandread had already been licensed. Or was it just
the first season?

>Oh, and forgot http://funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccdk129cfjha2.jpg , think.
>
>Derek Janssen (counting on Monte Carlo and Christy)
>eja...@verizon.net

Here I also thought Gankutsuou had been licensed . . .

Dave Watson

Dec 21, 2008, 3:41:58 PM12/21/08
On Dec 21, 2:48 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:24:59 GMT, Derek Janssen
>
> <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> >Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>
> >>   From the "clues":
>
> >> Ichigo 100%
> >> Oh! Edo Rocket
> >> Evangelion Rebuild
> >> xxxHolic Kei
>
> >>    That's what four I got, anyway; T-minus two days . . .
>
> >Well, *five*, counting those for whom the "Van dread" card didn't fly
> >over their head...  ^_^
>
>   Here I thought Vandread had already been licensed.  Or was it just
> the first season?

Pioneer released the whole series a long time ago. I don't know if
the collection in the one case is technically still in print.

> >Oh, and forgothttp://funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccdk129cfjha2.jpg, think.

> >Derek Janssen (counting on Monte Carlo and Christy)

> >ejan...@verizon.net

>    Here I also thought Gankutsuou had been licensed . . .

I suspect more sublicensing from Geneon. Since Gankutsuou is still
pretty warm on the shelf, though, I wonder.

Watson.

Chris Mattern

Dec 21, 2008, 8:03:31 PM12/21/08
On 2008-12-21, Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2:48 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 04:24:59 GMT, Derek Janssen
>>
>> <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>> >Well, *five*, counting those for whom the "Van dread" card didn't fly
>> >over their head...  ^_^
>>
>>   Here I thought Vandread had already been licensed.  Or was it just
>> the first season?
>
> Pioneer released the whole series a long time ago. I don't know if
> the collection in the one case is technically still in print.

Given that Pioneer is no longer in the home video content business, I'd be
guessing "No".

>> >Oh, and forgothttp://funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccdk129cfjha2.jpg, think.
>>
>> >Derek Janssen (counting on Monte Carlo and Christy)
>> >ejan...@verizon.net
>>
>>    Here I also thought Gankutsuou had been licensed . . .
>
> I suspect more sublicensing from Geneon. Since Gankutsuou is still
> pretty warm on the shelf, though, I wonder.

Geneon (which was Pioneer rebranding itself) is out of business, dude.
Has been for just over a year now.

Funimation officially announced back in July that they were acquiring
titles from Geneon's catalog; looks like these are some of them.

--
Christopher Mattern

NOTICE
Thank you for noticing this new notice
Your noticing it has been noted
And will be reported to the authorities

Dave Watson

Dec 21, 2008, 8:23:48 PM12/21/08
On Dec 21, 8:03 pm, Chris Mattern <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote:

> On 2008-12-21, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Pioneer released the whole series a long time ago.  I don't know if
> > the collection in the one case is technically still in print.
>
> Given that Pioneer is no longer in the home video content business, I'd be
> guessing "No".

Still, that came out fairly recently and there are still lots of
copies floating around. The singles are definitely OOP.

> >>    Here I also thought Gankutsuou had been licensed . . .
>
> > I suspect more sublicensing from Geneon.  Since Gankutsuou is still
> > pretty warm on the shelf, though, I wonder.
>
> Geneon (which was Pioneer rebranding itself) is out of business, dude.

Don't call me dude. Thank you.

> Has been for just over a year now.

Yes, I know. What I was wondering about was the wisdom of acquiring
Gankutsuou, since all the original singles are still pretty plentiful.

> Funimation officially announced back in July that they were acquiring
> titles from Geneon's catalog; looks like these are some of them.

No problem with that. I just wish they'd stop with the 13-eps-on-2-
discs bullshit. Quality, mofos--can you say it?

Watson.

Derek Janssen

Dec 21, 2008, 8:27:07 PM12/21/08
Dave Watson wrote:

>>>I suspect more sublicensing from Geneon. Since Gankutsuou is still
>>>pretty warm on the shelf, though, I wonder.
>>
>>Geneon (which was Pioneer rebranding itself) is out of business, dude.
>>Has been for just over a year now.
>
> Yes, I know. What I was wondering about was the wisdom of acquiring
> Gankutsuou, since all the original singles are still pretty plentiful.

...Er, the ability to make and sell FUTURE second-printings of it, and
gain off the sales?

Derek Janssen (some people might miss out, you know)
eja...@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Dec 21, 2008, 10:34:47 PM12/21/08
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:03:31 -0600, Chris Mattern
<sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>Geneon (which was Pioneer rebranding itself) is out of business, dude.
>Has been for just over a year now.

Dude... Take a look at your copy of the Nanoha box set that was just
released - Geneon logos all over the discs and slipbox, Geneon trailers
on the discs, skippable leader sections (unlike Funimation DVDs, which
have an ad in the non-skippable leader section of the disc), and a 2008
copyright date.

Geneon's still in business; they're just not doing their own
distribution (which is why there's one lonely Funimation logo
half-hidden on the bottom of the slipbox).

<snip>

Chris Mattern

Dec 22, 2008, 6:36:57 AM12/22/08
On 2008-12-22, Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 8:03 pm, Chris Mattern <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote:
>> On 2008-12-21, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Pioneer released the whole series a long time ago.  I don't know if
>> > the collection in the one case is technically still in print.
>>
>> Given that Pioneer is no longer in the home video content business, I'd be
>> guessing "No".
>
> Still, that came out fairly recently and there are still lots of
> copies floating around. The singles are definitely OOP.

Being able to find the odd retailer who still has it in stock doesn't
make it "in print". "In print" means it can still be obtained from
the publisher; that makes all the titles from a defunct publisher out
of print by definition.

Dave Watson

Dec 22, 2008, 8:56:36 AM12/22/08
> ejan...@verizon.net

You know what I meant, smartarse. I don't know how well their re-
release of it will sell due to the number of original Geneon singles
still out there.

Watson
Especially if they pull that 13-eps-on-2-discs crap with this one.

Dave Watson

Dec 22, 2008, 8:59:31 AM12/22/08
On Dec 21, 10:34 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:03:31 -0600, Chris Mattern
>
> <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Geneon (which was Pioneer rebranding itself) is out of business, dude.
> >Has been for just over a year now.
>
> Dude... Take a look at your copy of the Nanoha box set that was just
> released - Geneon logos all over the discs and slipbox, Geneon trailers
> on the discs, skippable leader sections (unlike Funimation DVDs, which
> have an ad in the non-skippable leader section of the disc), and a 2008
> copyright date.

Apparently the Nanoha box set has no time code on it as an anti-piracy
measure (according to the Anime on DVD/Mania forum members). If this
is true, time to bring some fire down on FUNimation.

Watson
Who won't buy copy control CDs, and definitely won't buy fucked-with
DVDs, Bandai.

Herbie Garcia

Dec 22, 2008, 12:38:44 PM12/22/08
Howdy Folks!

Day 1-Ikki Tousen

That's right Funimation picked up the 13 Episode Series a former Geneon
title.

I hope Dragon Destiny & Great Guardians get picked up too.

See ya!

HG-The OTAKUMAN

Dave Watson

Dec 22, 2008, 1:01:21 PM12/22/08
On Dec 22, 12:38 pm, Otaku...@webtv.net (Herbie Garcia) wrote:
> Howdy Folks!
>
> Day 1-Ikki Tousen
>
> That's right Funimation picked up the 13 Episode Series a former Geneon
> title.
>
> I hope Dragon Destiny & Great Guardians get picked up too.

Media Blasters has Dragon Destiny. No word yet on Great Guardians.

Watson
Who bought Geneon's version on sale.

OAK

Dec 22, 2008, 2:59:48 PM12/22/08

Ugg, me stupid! Could you explain this "no time code" thingy? I was really
looking to get the Nanoha box, but now ???

Thanks,

OAK

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 22, 2008, 3:15:32 PM12/22/08
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:38:44 -0800, Otak...@webtv.net (Herbie Garcia)
wrote:

>Howdy Folks!
>
>Day 1-Ikki Tousen

So *that* is what "Itchy Toes" meant; so much for Ichigo 100% . . .

>That's right Funimation picked up the 13 Episode Series a former Geneon
>title.
>
>I hope Dragon Destiny & Great Guardians get picked up too.

Covered elsewhere . . .

Invid Fan

Dec 22, 2008, 3:27:34 PM12/22/08
In article <494ff1b3$0$27114$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>, OAK
<O...@Bigtree.net> wrote:

I assume that would mean when you watch there's no indication of where
in the show you are time wise (12:34 watched, 10:47 to go), which has
the effect of there being no way for the DVD player to restart from
where you left off once you turn the player off (or maybe even hit
Stop). Not a big deal for a half hour tv series, horrible for a movie,
I've seen this on cheap early DVD releases but don't see how it would
be an anti-piracy measure.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2008, 5:32:25 PM12/22/08
On Dec 22, 5:56 am, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You know what I meant, smartarse.  I don't know how well their re-
> release of it will sell due to the number of original Geneon singles
> still out there.
>
> Watson
> Especially if they pull that 13-eps-on-2-discs crap with this one.

And I'd be shocked, if they got the chance, that they wouldn't pull
it.

Mike

Stainless Steel Rat

Dec 22, 2008, 8:26:17 PM12/22/08
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 03:34:47 +0000, Rob Kelk wrote:
> Dude... Take a look at your copy of the Nanoha box set that was just
> released - Geneon logos all over the discs and slipbox, Geneon trailers
> on the discs, skippable leader sections (unlike Funimation DVDs, which
> have an ad in the non-skippable leader section of the disc), and a 2008
> copyright date.

Not exactly. Geneon is out of the distribution business. Funimation has
picked up distribution for a slew of Geneon titles including Nanoha,
Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon to name a few. Funimation is using
Geneon's packaging because, well, because they're distributing, not
publishing.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 22, 2008, 8:32:06 PM12/22/08

No need to re-release when there is an obvious other option:
broadcasting!

Whether by The Funimation Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, or
even Sci-Fi Channel there are other options . . .

Aje RavenStar

Dec 21, 2008, 9:01:43 PM12/21/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

And sometimes the IFC channel (Gunslinger Girl most recently, Speed Grapher
before that). If you're lucky, your cable/tv service carries IATV, which is
running a Bandai block on Wednesdays. Was looking at some of the Anime on
Demand service this evening - Anime Network on Demand carrying Azumanga
Daioh right now and other things; and the Anime Selects offerings now have
plugs for the Funimation Channel On Demand service, and the insert channel
logo on their shows (watched Tsubasa RC ep 01) is Funimation.

Rob Kelk

Dec 22, 2008, 9:57:17 PM12/22/08