[Semi-OT] Exosquad on Hulu . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 12, 2008, 11:16:04 AM8/12/08
With all the bitching about Crunchyroll and YouTube, I almost
forgot about the one that has approval and sponsorship from the big
entertainment companies . . . Hulu!

Anyway, lo and behold, titled as "American Anime," the first season
of Exosquad! (sans ep. 11):

<http://www.hulu.com/exosquad>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Phillip Thorne

Aug 13, 2008, 10:58:24 PM8/13/08
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> Anyway, lo and behold, titled as "American Anime," the first season
>of Exosquad! (sans ep. 11):
> <http://www.hulu.com/exosquad>

YAY!

From ep 13, "Defying Olympus":

"Marsala, I should have known. Like the beaten dog you are, you will
always lick the boots of your Terran masters."

"No! If you attack, Phaeton dies."

"Surrender now. I offer you a painless death."

"Do you think my death will make any difference?"
"It'll make a difference to me."

(I'd forgotten how profligate and unflinching this show was with the
"D" word.)

As many commercial breaks as the original (although shorter). Odd
choice of sponsors, though. Maybe Hulu doesn't have much selection,
or they figure there aren't any kids watching "ExoSquad." Unlike the
Netflix player, there's an effective seek bar.

(Now, who owns "Mighty Orbots" and "Hypernauts"?)

Also under Animation, they have.... the original Speed Racer, the 1967
Pink Panther, the 2003 CGI version of Spider-Man, Simpsons, Family
Guy, Futurama, American Dad, and a few others. But Astro Boy (2003)
and Jackie Chan Adventures are under "Family and Kids." Dubbed
Japanese import "Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot" (1969) is under
"Action and Adventure." Under SF there's... ooh, lots of things I've
missed episodes of.

--
** Phillip Thorne ** peth...@comcast.net **************
* RPI CompSci 1998 *

Terrence Briggs

Aug 20, 2008, 10:49:04 PM8/20/08
Antonio's been holding out on us! Dude!

Phillip Thorne wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, lo and behold, titled as "American Anime," the first season
> >of Exosquad! (sans ep. 11):
> > <http://www.hulu.com/exosquad>

Why'd they drop Ep. 11, where That Guy Goes Down With The Ship? That
is PRECISELY the episode you show people to remind them of why
Exosquad was head and shoulders above its peers (and many animated
series today).

As for the infamous "wise ass" crack, from Episode 10:
"Even wiseacre kids gotta eat", Weston says.

previously read as, "Even winedecker kids gotta eat."

previously read as, "Even wiseass kids gotta eat."

Don't have the timestamp, but it's near the end of the episode.
(Don't have highspeed, so I can't confirm right now.)

> YAY!
>
> From ep 13, "Defying Olympus":
>
> "Marsala, I should have known. Like the beaten dog you are, you will
> always lick the boots of your Terran masters."

Ha. One of the greatest lines in the history of animation. Bite me,
Gundam Wing.

> "No! If you attack, Phaeton dies."
>
> "Surrender now. I offer you a painless death."
>
> "Do you think my death will make any difference?"
> "It'll make a difference to me."
>
> (I'd forgotten how profligate and unflinching this show was with the
> "D" word.)

Syndication. Even Sectaurs (circa 1986?) had it: "Kill them!!!",
commanded the ugly antagonist.

> As many commercial breaks as the original (although shorter).

Actually, a commercial spot was inserted after the "previously on"
segment, which never existed before. Annoying, since the music that
rounds off the segment leads into the episode title.

> Odd
> choice of sponsors, though. Maybe Hulu doesn't have much selection,
> or they figure there aren't any kids watching "ExoSquad."

Exosquad fans are old enough to buys cars, and geeky enough to like
Hondas. I know *I* want a Honda, but not because thy're sponsoring
web sites that feature streams of my favorite animated series.

> Unlike the
> Netflix player, there's an effective seek bar.
>
> (Now, who owns "Mighty Orbots" and "Hypernauts"?)

Wow, you are a geek. Throw Phantom 2040 into the mix, and you can
join your boy in the fan club.

> Also under Animation, they have.... the original Speed Racer, the 1967
> Pink Panther, the 2003 CGI version of Spider-Man,

Ugh. At least its out or DVD, but ugh. Even the Spectacular
Spiderman is better than that.

> Simpsons, Family
> Guy, Futurama, American Dad, and a few others. But Astro Boy (2003)
> and Jackie Chan Adventures are under "Family and Kids."

Astroboy and JCA fans probably aren't old enough to sit next to
Exosquad's fans :-)

> Dubbed
> Japanese import "Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot" (1969) is under
> "Action and Adventure." Under SF there's... ooh, lots of things I've
> missed episodes of.

Lemme know if you see any... ya know... Phantom 2040 :-)

Did Universal do any other decent animated series. I'll allow
Earthworm Jim, which might be on DVD, but I guess that rules out
Robocop: Alpha Commando and Lionhearts. (Yeah, I know you like it,
WhoeverYouAreFurryfan. I'm just sounding off.)

> --
> ** Phillip Thorne ** peth...@comcast.net **************
> * RPI CompSci 1998 *
> ** underbase.livejournal.com ***************************

Terrence Briggs, watching those United airlines commercials during the
Olympics. Almost as good as the ANA spots!
Peace to you...

Invid Fan

Aug 21, 2008, 12:31:59 PM8/21/08
In article
<9a7269c2-c718-455c...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@lycos.com> wrote:

> Antonio's been holding out on us! Dude!
>
> Phillip Thorne wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > Anyway, lo and behold, titled as "American Anime," the first season
> > >of Exosquad! (sans ep. 11):
> > > <http://www.hulu.com/exosquad>
>
> Why'd they drop Ep. 11, where That Guy Goes Down With The Ship? That
> is PRECISELY the episode you show people to remind them of why
> Exosquad was head and shoulders above its peers (and many animated
> series today).

You also have to like a show that kills someone, has it turn out they
aren't dead, then kills them again and shows the grave :)

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'