Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 anyone wathed/watching?

Inu-Yasha

Sep 6, 2009, 11:39:56 PM9/6/09
I just started watching when on a whim I checked ANN to see what it was
about, expecting it to be some action anime using the expression
Magnitude 8.0 ti emphasize the power of the action going on. Imagine my
surprise when I found out it's a story of survivors of an earthquake in
the area of Tokyo. So far it is OK, I like the art style (simple but
expressive) that is being used, and the kids involved seem to be like
real kids. I relate to this story in several ways, I was in a large
earthquake in the Seattle are when I was about 4, and remember the hose
shaking, my Mom took me and we stood in one of the doorways of the house
because the door frame is sturdier and provides some protection from
things falling from the ceiling. The chandelier in the front room was
swaying back and forth violently, and when we mad a dash for outside,
and make it safely, I can remember seen dirt cracks running crazily in
what was probably the driveway in the front of the house. As it also
happens, I have been a seismic data analyst for about 33 years off and
on so have some knowledge of the forces and energy that is released with
faulting. The story has only just started when the earthquake hits, and
it was not bad in it's depiction of the the shaking, and destruction
that occurred. though they may have been a bit mild in some aspects of
building damage. But so far I am enjoying the story (2 episodes).

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^
'Flush and move on.' [I'll just use a shorted version of the sig
quote, if it's OK with Sanjian.

robin-of-lox

Sep 7, 2009, 3:57:20 AM9/7/09

Sounds interesting. Is this something that you're seeing on TV or
that you rented, or bought? If on TV, where are you?

Robin (in the US)

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 7, 2009, 4:01:52 AM9/7/09
robin-of-lox <robin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds interesting. Is this something that you're seeing on TV or
> that you rented, or bought? If on TV, where are you?

It's available as a fansub. It's airing this season in Japan.

--
Gio

.476/.511/.667

http://www.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

Inu-Yasha

Sep 7, 2009, 6:50:03 AM9/7/09

I'm now living in Florida, and as Giovanni noted I am viewing the
fansubbed anime. This one seems quite interesting in a what might be
termed a slice of life, so if I am fortunate enough for it to be
licensed and released in the US, I'll buy it.

Nick

Sep 7, 2009, 8:19:14 AM9/7/09

<added cross-post to rec.arts.manga>

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:39:56 -0400, in rec.arts.anime.misc, Inu-Yasha
<tomco...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I just started watching when on a whim I checked ANN to see what it was
>about, expecting it to be some action anime using the expression
>Magnitude 8.0 ti emphasize the power of the action going on. Imagine my
>surprise when I found out it's a story of survivors of an earthquake in
>the area of Tokyo.

I read a two-volume manga last summer, 'Metro Survive', about people trapped
underground in a subway station after an earthquake in Tokyo.

I thought it was a pretty good story, but there's a fair amount of the dark
side of human nature involved: they're trapped for a while with not much
food, which leads to a major struggle between the 'good guys' who try to
keep everybody working together and the 'thugs' who just want to look out
for themselves at the other's expense.

Dark and at times heart wrenching, but it has a decent ending and I enjoyed
it; it was definitely worth reading.

Note: don't get the wrong idea from the cover art; it's not a sexy story.
The girl on the cover is in the story, but the art is just eye candy and not
an indication of the content.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Prove your manhood: flame a newbie today!
<That's sarcasm, folks...>

Shawn Merrow

Sep 7, 2009, 10:40:06 AM9/7/09

"Inu-Yasha" <tomco...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

I have seen up to episode 9 and still enjoying it. It has been
interesting to
see how the quake has effected the characters over the episodes and see
the girl mature. I watch a lot of documentaries on disasters and as of
ep. 9
the science still seems solid. If it gets licensed will buy this one for
sure.

--
Shawn Merrow

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 7, 2009, 12:50:05 PM9/7/09
I dropped it after 6 episodes. Art, character designs, and the way the
characters failed to keep my interest reminded me a lot of "Seirei no
Moribito".

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

nonodel

Sep 7, 2009, 6:53:44 PM9/7/09
"Inu-Yasha" <tomco...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

Too much drama for me x_x

--
Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
www.anizeen.com

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2009, 2:41:22 PM9/9/09

"nonodel" <non...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It is a bit of a soap, but the robots are great. I want one of the crab
bots for my home.

Bobby

Inu-Yasha

Sep 9, 2009, 7:52:36 PM9/9/09

That's Frog... frog robot thank you, and they will back talk to you
too!! ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^
Flush and move on.

Remember, this is humor. ^__^;

Bobby Clark

Sep 11, 2009, 6:00:24 PM9/11/09

"Inu-Yasha" <tomco...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

I stand corrected. I re-watched the first episode and then the middle ones
where the robots appear. I am taking screen caps from the 720P release for
my construction project. :) I hope to have one rolling around the back yard
by the end of the year.

Bobby

Inu-Yasha

Sep 11, 2009, 6:31:43 PM9/11/09
When you do, be sure to provide us a link to some of your pics. ^-^'

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^
Flush one more time!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 15, 2009, 1:30:15 AM9/15/09
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:39:56 -0400, Inu-Yasha <tomco...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

Just to point out the obvious, Tokyo was hit by an 8.0 quake back
in 1923; since quakes have a tendency to hit the same place more than
once, it's entirely believable that an eight pointer will hit it again
at some point in the future. As in many cases, most casualties and
damage were a result of the post-quake fire, as oppossed to the
earthquake itself, much like San Francisco seventeen years before.

The last 8.0 quake I can think of to hit a major city was the one
that rocked Mexico City back in 1985 (technically epicentered 200
miles away, but very soft "bedrock" didn't help); some posters here
may know a bit about it personally.

As a resident of Southern California, I have a little too much
experience with earthquakes, incuding a rather nasty wake-up call back
in 1994 . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Robert Sneddon

Sep 15, 2009, 6:56:12 AM9/15/09
In message <jp8ua5hpkhimghp2p...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes

> Just to point out the obvious, Tokyo was hit by an 8.0 quake back
>in 1923;

Yoshitoshi ABe's next anime, "Despera" is reported to be set in a
steampunk-world Tokyo a year before the 1923 earthquake. I wonder if the
storyline will run through the earthquake itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despera
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

sanjian

Sep 15, 2009, 11:06:24 AM9/15/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:39:56 -0400, Inu-Yasha <tomco...@cfl.rr.com>
> wrote:

> Just to point out the obvious, Tokyo was hit by an 8.0 quake back
> in 1923; since quakes have a tendency to hit the same place more than
> once, it's entirely believable that an eight pointer will hit it again
> at some point in the future. As in many cases, most casualties and
> damage were a result of the post-quake fire, as oppossed to the
> earthquake itself, much like San Francisco seventeen years before.

A lot of disasters seem to be that way. Remember that, the morning after
Katrina, the papers said that New Orleans dodged a bullet, since the levees
had not yet given way.