[OT] World Baseball Classic - Japan vs. (South) Korea

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 20, 2009, 4:59:59 PM3/20/09
Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
the last couple of weeks, and both Teams Japan and Korea have been
impressive. 2-2 against each other, both are now in the semi-finals,
with elimination rules. Both will have to beat Teams USA and
Venezuela to face each other in the final:

<http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/full_bracket.jsp?team=wbc>

It seems the two teams have developed quite the rivalry, having a
lot to do not only with the excellent players in each team, but the
long, less-than-pleasant history between Japan and Korea. I've heard
of huge viewership of the games in Japan itself. Of course, a
US/Venezuela final would have its own political undertones.

Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.

--

- ReFlex76

Giovanni Wassen

Mar 20, 2009, 8:14:07 PM3/20/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
> the last couple of weeks

Yes, I noticed. Loved the way the Netherlands (where I live) stood up
against superior opponents.

> Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.

Roy Oswalt vs. Dice-K this sunday, not a bad match-up :)

Yu Darvish will be a hot commodity if he'll want to pitch in the major
league, 22 years old and he looks ready for it.

--
Gio

http://www.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

darkst...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 8:45:08 PM3/20/09
On Mar 20, 1:59 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>    Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.

And they'll be back in the final after they take care of Roid-Ball,
against Korea for the fifth time.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 8:46:16 PM3/20/09
On Mar 20, 5:14 pm, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >    Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
> > the last couple of weeks
>
> Yes, I noticed. Loved the way the Netherlands (where I live) stood up
> against superior opponents.

The victory over the Dominicans was sweet:

First inning:

Infield hit.
Infield hit.
Walk to load the bases.
Wild pitch for one run.
Infield hit for a second.
Error on the throw for #3.

Netherlands wins 3-2. Not a ball left the infield for their three
runs.

Mike

Arnold Kim

Mar 20, 2009, 9:45:45 PM3/20/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
> the last couple of weeks, and both Teams Japan and Korea have been
> impressive. 2-2 against each other, both are now in the semi-finals,
> with elimination rules. Both will have to beat Teams USA and
> Venezuela to face each other in the final:

Hell yeah. Though I'm not quite as into it as I was in '06 - it was kind of
a special thrill to see Korea beat a US team filled with guys like Derek
Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. Loved seeing Lee Seung Yeop go yard against
Dontrelle Willis. Not as familiar with the current Korean team, as there's
only one major league player, Choi Shin Soo of the Indians, and no Seung
Yeop.

> <http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/full_bracket.jsp?team=wbc>
>
> It seems the two teams have developed quite the rivalry, having a
> lot to do not only with the excellent players in each team, but the
> long, less-than-pleasant history between Japan and Korea. I've heard
> of huge viewership of the games in Japan itself. Of course, a
> US/Venezuela final would have its own political undertones.
>
> Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.

Though it could be argued that the Korean team was the best overall; their
only loss came in the semifinal game against Japan.

Korea's also the defending Olympic champion...

Arnold Kim

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Mar 21, 2009, 3:04:41 AM3/21/09
Fri, 21 Mar 2009 12:14am-0000, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com>:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
> > the last couple of weeks
>
> Yes, I noticed. Loved the way the Netherlands (where I live) stood up
> against superior opponents.

Who knew they have pitching!

> > Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.
>
> Roy Oswalt vs. Dice-K this sunday, not a bad match-up :)

I don't think the Japanese named their starter yet.
(In Japanese yakyu, they wait till the last minute to name the starter.)
They may prefer Darvish, whom the Americans have never faced.
The US are already familiar with Dice-K.
If it is Dice-K, will he pitch like he pitches at WBC
(lots of fastballs) or the way he pitches in MLB (lots of offspeeds)....

> Yu Darvish will be a hot commodity if he'll want to pitch in the major
> league, 22 years old and he looks ready for it.

Darvish seems to dislike the Majors, so that won't be for awhile.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Giovanni Wassen

Mar 21, 2009, 5:17:09 AM3/21/09
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>> > Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
>> > the last couple of weeks
>>
>> Yes, I noticed. Loved the way the Netherlands (where I live) stood up
>> against superior opponents.
>>

> Who knew they have pitching!

I didn't even knew they had that much minor leaguers :)

>> > Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.
>>
>> Roy Oswalt vs. Dice-K this sunday, not a bad match-up :)
>>

> I don't think the Japanese named their starter yet.

Mlb.com says the Japanese coach confirmed it yesterday, but plans can
change of course.

> (In Japanese yakyu, they wait till the last minute to name the starter.)
> They may prefer Darvish, whom the Americans have never faced.
> The US are already familiar with Dice-K.
> If it is Dice-K, will he pitch like he pitches at WBC
> (lots of fastballs) or the way he pitches in MLB (lots of offspeeds)....

I think he pitches lots of fastballs because it's still early in the
season, the guys at spring training also prefer the fastball.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 21, 2009, 9:16:13 PM3/21/09

An LA Times sports writer summarized each of the teams in one word:

Korea - Balance.
Japan - Pitching.
Venezuela - Power.
USA - Hitting.

--

- ReFlex76

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 21, 2009, 9:21:26 PM3/21/09
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 03:04:41 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>Fri, 21 Mar 2009 12:14am-0000, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Some may have noticed the World Baseball Classic has been going on
>> > the last couple of weeks
>>
>> Yes, I noticed. Loved the way the Netherlands (where I live) stood up
>> against superior opponents.
>>

>Who knew they have pitching!

Specifically, Bert Blyleven; never underestimate the power of a good
coach, especially one with lots of MLB experience!

>> > Japan, BTW, is the defending champion, winning it all back in '06.
>>
>> Roy Oswalt vs. Dice-K this sunday, not a bad match-up :)
>>

>I don't think the Japanese named their starter yet.
>(In Japanese yakyu, they wait till the last minute to name the starter.)
>They may prefer Darvish, whom the Americans have never faced.
>The US are already familiar with Dice-K.
>If it is Dice-K, will he pitch like he pitches at WBC
>(lots of fastballs) or the way he pitches in MLB (lots of offspeeds)....
>

>> Yu Darvish will be a hot commodity if he'll want to pitch in the major
>> league, 22 years old and he looks ready for it.
>>

>Darvish seems to dislike the Majors, so that won't be for awhile.

Should be interesting . . .

--

- ReFlex76

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Mar 22, 2009, 2:40:44 AM3/22/09
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 6:16pm-0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com>:

USA - inconsistency.
When they're good, they're very good.
Whey they're bad....

But all that passed goes out the window now.
Just comes down to 1 or 2 games with your best guys.

Laters. =)

STan