[Semi-OT] Three Treasures?

Derek Janssen

Dec 24, 2008, 10:09:51 PM12/24/08
Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before,
until reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":

---
THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
---

(No mention, however, of whether these three treasures can be combined
to create a Holy Grail to defeat the Messiah of Silence...)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 24, 2008, 10:44:14 PM12/24/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before,
> until reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":
>
> ---
> THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
> The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
> treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
> jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
> the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
> Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
> ---

If you didn't know that, then you obviously didn't know that this
parallel was directly carried through in Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
(Keikoutei is the Mirror-- reflects the sun; the Jewel of Life; and the
Swords that Ryo has to win...)

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Nick

Dec 24, 2008, 10:58:10 PM12/24/08

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:09:51 GMT, in rec.arts.anime.misc, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before,
>until reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":
>
>---
>THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
>The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
>treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
>jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
>the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
>Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
>---

I see references to them occasionally, most recently in the Tetragrammaton
Labyrinth manga: in that, a girl from Japan shows up in England to recover
the sword from a museum. She already has the megatama; don't remember about
the mirror.

>(No mention, however, of whether these three treasures can be combined
>to create a Holy Grail to defeat the Messiah of Silence...)

According to the manga, a person who collects all three treasures will have
special powers and fortunes bestowed on them by god. No idea if that's
based on the actual traditions about the three objects or just something
made up in the manga.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 25, 2008, 1:18:06 AM12/25/08
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:09am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

I thought this was all noted in the
Sailor Moon fansubs back in the day....

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 25, 2008, 6:34:52 AM12/25/08
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:18:06 -0500, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:09am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:
>
>> Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before, until
>> reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":
>>
>> ---
>> THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
>> The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
>> treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
>> jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
>> the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
>> Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
>> ---
>>
>> (No mention, however, of whether these three treasures can be combined to
>> create a Holy Grail to defeat the Messiah of Silence...)
>>

>I thought this was all noted in the
>Sailor Moon fansubs back in the day....

Further up, Yusuke's first big case in Yuyu Hakusho . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Jim diGriz

Dec 25, 2008, 1:40:49 PM12/25/08
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:18:06 -0500, S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:09am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

>> Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before, until
>> reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":

>> ---
>> THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
>> The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
>> treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
>> jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
>> the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
>> Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
>> ---

>> (No mention, however, of whether these three treasures can be combined to
>> create a Holy Grail to defeat the Messiah of Silence...)

> I thought this was all noted in the
> Sailor Moon fansubs back in the day....

Didn't the Sakura Taisen anime have something similar?

JdG

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 25, 2008, 2:51:54 PM12/25/08
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:34am-0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com>:

> On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:18:06 -0500, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
> <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:09am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:
> >
> >> Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before, until
> >> reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":
> >>
> >> ---
> >> THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
> >> The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
> >> treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
> >> jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
> >> the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
> >> Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
> >> ---
> >>
> >> (No mention, however, of whether these three treasures can be combined to
> >> create a Holy Grail to defeat the Messiah of Silence...)
> >>

> >I thought this was all noted in the
> >Sailor Moon fansubs back in the day....
> >

> Further up, Yusuke's first big case in Yuyu Hakusho . . .

That wasn't fansubbed as widely,
so not sure how much influence it reached....

Laters. =)

Stan

Chris Mattern

Dec 29, 2008, 8:34:20 AM12/29/08
Or Tenchi. Or Inuyasha. Yep, they use this one a lot.

--
Christopher Mattern

NOTICE
Thank you for noticing this new notice
Your noticing it has been noted
And will be reported to the authorities

D B Malmquist

Dec 30, 2008, 12:44:07 AM12/30/08
Chris Mattern wrote:

> On 2008-12-25, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> > Derek Janssen wrote:
> >> Have to admit, I never actually knew this cultural reference before,
> >> until reading through Yei Ozaki's collection of "Japanese Fairy Tales":
> >>
> >> ---
> >> THE STORY OF PRINCE YAMATO TAKE.
> >> The insignia of the great Japanese Empire is composed of three
> >> treasures which have been considered sacred, and guarded with
> >> jealous care from time immemorial. These are the Yatano-no-Kagami or
> >> the Mirror of Yata, the Yasakami-no-Magatama or the Jewel of
> >> Yasakami, and the Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or the Sword of Murakumo.
> >> ---
> >>

> > If you didn't know that, then you obviously didn't know that this
> > parallel was directly carried through in Yoroiden Samurai Troopers
> > (Keikoutei is the Mirror-- reflects the sun; the Jewel of Life; and the
> > Swords that Ryo has to win...)
> >
> Or Tenchi. Or Inuyasha. Yep, they use this one a lot.

Murakumo-no-Tsurugi (later known as Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi) had the
power to control the winds, so I figure must be the origin of all
the wind-controlling swords that show up in anime.

-dbm

Chris Mattern

Dec 31, 2008, 8:37:02 AM12/31/08
And of course, Inuyasha has the jewel and the mirror, as well.