Code Geass - the cruel machine claims its first victim (spoilers)

1 view

Doug Jacobs

Oct 6, 2008, 7:34:06 PM10/6/08
Just watched last weekend's episode of Code Geass.

This series seems to fall into that category of the horrific tragedy. The
writer creates the victims (characters) and uses liberal amounts of
foreshadowing to create a story that will - and quite horrifically - tear
through the cast like some unrelenting clockwork factory machine.

And just in case you weren't aware of the impending emotional doom looming
over the entire cast, the school carnival episode did a wonderful job of
summarizing them all in a crazed, although Three's Company slapstick,
manner.

But then last week, the writers fed their monster its first victim. Now
that it's tasted blood, I have no doubt others will quickly follow....

Spoilers below
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Horrific is right! Oh my god! Poor Yufiniea! This certainly won't end
well!

"Um, excuse me? Will all you Japanese people just die?" Oh geeze, she
really isn't much good at anything is she? Even the poor bloke she shot
wasn't a fatal blow...

If the writers are going for maximum emotional damage here, they'll have
Yufiniea and Suzaku face off. Yufi, under command to kill all Japanese,
and Suzaku, under command to "Live", should result in a predictable
manner. Either Yufiniea will manage to throw off the geass long enough to
kill herself, or Suzaku, in a Geass-induced trance, will shoot her.
Either way, Suzaku will be blamed for killing the princess. Oh, what a
delightful end to an otherwise touching love affair! And here I was
wondering about the implications of them using Arthurian names - like
Lancelot - and if they'd turn the whole show into a re-imagining of
Arthurian legend! Well, maybe they'll still do that...

I do have questions though. No, not about C2. I'll assume that her past
will be revealed with time, as will her true role in the story.

No, I'm more confused about what happened to Lelouch. Clearly he was
about to use his geass on the princess, when she interrupted him with her
speech and won him over. Did this mean his geass was activated and was
just waiting for him to look someone in the eye and issue a command? Or,
as Lelouch supposes, is his geass now "on" permanently - meaning he'll
have to wear dark glasses, or else surround himself with people he's
already used his geass on?

Also, why did he give that exact command? That just doesn't make any
sense. Sure, he wasn't expecting it to do anything, but why something so
grim? Why not something like "If I told you to hop like a bunny, you'd
have to do it."? That would have been more light hearted...even if it
meant that the princess would spend the rest of her life hopping around
like a bunny. Still, that was the worst possible outcome, and yet that's
the one he chose to joke about.

It also seems that the Geass is not immediate - either that or Yufi is
very strong minded as she appeared to be fighting against the command for
a moment. Does this mean you can fight off the Geass if you're mentally
tough enough? Or, is your original "self" locked away, stuck watching the
modified you go about its business? Does Yufi know fully what she's doing,
or does the Geass overwrite your mind to fit the command, no matter how
contradictory those two may be?

And what of the soldiers inside the zone? I'm sure they'll all just say
they were "following orders". But the whole sale slaughter of civilians?
On television? On order of a princess you never liked in the first
place? It seems too convienent to me. As if the Geass somehow managed to
arrange Lelouch's command - which if true, has very frightening
consequences...

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 6, 2008, 10:35:13 PM10/6/08

First, it's Euphemia; second . . . ummm, let's just say, keep
watching!

And here I was
>wondering about the implications of them using Arthurian names - like
>Lancelot - and if they'd turn the whole show into a re-imagining of
>Arthurian legend! Well, maybe they'll still do that...

Oh, it's reimagining a legend alaright, just not the one you think!
The names, of course, have to do with them being proudly British, and
honoring their legends . . .

>I do have questions though. No, not about C2. I'll assume that her past
>will be revealed with time, as will her true role in the story.
>
>No, I'm more confused about what happened to Lelouch. Clearly he was
>about to use his geass on the princess, when she interrupted him with her
>speech and won him over. Did this mean his geass was activated and was
>just waiting for him to look someone in the eye and issue a command? Or,
>as Lelouch supposes, is his geass now "on" permanently - meaning he'll
>have to wear dark glasses, or else surround himself with people he's
>already used his geass on?
>
>Also, why did he give that exact command? That just doesn't make any
>sense. Sure, he wasn't expecting it to do anything, but why something so
>grim? Why not something like "If I told you to hop like a bunny, you'd
>have to do it."? That would have been more light hearted...even if it
>meant that the princess would spend the rest of her life hopping around
>like a bunny. Still, that was the worst possible outcome, and yet that's
>the one he chose to joke about.

It's a window into Lelouch's personality to see that that's the
kind of thing he'd joke about.

On another note, I can't help but think of the things a typical
teenage boy would do with Geass powers: "Beat yourself up!" "Give me
your study notes!""Kiss your friend in front of me!"" Give me a
blowjob!""Tell all your secrets to the school!"

>It also seems that the Geass is not immediate - either that or Yufi is
>very strong minded as she appeared to be fighting against the command for
>a moment. Does this mean you can fight off the Geass if you're mentally
>tough enough? Or, is your original "self" locked away, stuck watching the
>modified you go about its business? Does Yufi know fully what she's doing,
>or does the Geass overwrite your mind to fit the command, no matter how
>contradictory those two may be?
>
>And what of the soldiers inside the zone? I'm sure they'll all just say
>they were "following orders". But the whole sale slaughter of civilians?
>On television? On order of a princess you never liked in the first
>place? It seems too convienent to me. As if the Geass somehow managed to
>arrange Lelouch's command - which if true, has very frightening
>consequences...

I think there are plenty of stories about getting an ultimate
power, and soon finding yourself unable to control it . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

sanjian

Oct 7, 2008, 7:00:33 AM10/7/08

>> And what of the soldiers inside the zone? I'm sure they'll all just

>> say they were "following orders". But the whole sale slaughter of
>> civilians? On television? On order of a princess you never liked in
>> the first
>> place? It seems too convienent to me. As if the Geass somehow
>> managed to arrange Lelouch's command - which if true, has very
>> frightening consequences...
>
> I think there are plenty of stories about getting an ultimate
> power, and soon finding yourself unable to control it . . .

Indeed. Though, to be fair, Lelouch manages it pretty damned well. Oh, and
as we see in season two... he's a snazzy dresser.

Daryle Walker

Oct 7, 2008, 7:49:39 AM10/7/08
On Oct 6, 7:34 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
> Just watched last weekend's episode of Code Geass.

I saw it too, and without my DVR. (I recorded it anyway for my
review.)

> This series seems to fall into that category of the horrific tragedy.  The
> writer creates the victims (characters) and uses liberal amounts of
> foreshadowing to create a story that will - and quite horrifically - tear
> through the cast like some unrelenting clockwork factory machine.

And we just watch in awe from how everything goes wrong.

> And just in case you weren't aware of the impending emotional doom looming
> over the entire cast, the school carnival episode did a wonderful job of
> summarizing them all in a crazed, although Three's Company slapstick,
> manner.

That was the preceding episode from three weeks back. (Viewer's
choice night from two weeks back didn't have CG). It continued to
show the tragedy of the Wall Girl! She'll probably upset loved ones
from ALWAYS staying in the Tokyo area so she can visit her old high
school. And decades from now, she'll have a mental breakdown when the
school gets demolished.

> But then last week, the writers fed their monster its first victim.  Now
> that it's tasted blood, I have no doubt others will quickly follow....
>
> Spoilers below
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> Horrific is right!  Oh my god!  Poor Yufiniea!  This certainly won't end
> well!

It's "Euphemia," although I only got that from the C.C. (closed
captioning, not Zero's partner). You could have gotten it from the
credits if your eyesight is good enough. And the title card gave a
hint (#22: "Bloodstained Euphie").

> "Um, excuse me?  Will all you Japanese people just die?"  Oh geeze, she
> really isn't much good at anything is she?  Even the poor bloke she shot
> wasn't a fatal blow...

Which bloke as, unfortunately, Euphie made your question not specific
enough. Her first victim had a hole in his chest and slumped over,
and I doubt that she'll let him get to a hospital. Are you referring
to the second guy, who works for Euphie's sister? He was concerned
with Euphie not doing it LIVE on GLOBAL TELEVISION. (But Daddy may be
proud anyway.) Euphie just wanted to disable Darlton, not include him
in her death count.

BTW, Euphie seemed to be very good in handling her second gun! Where
did she get it, as even her cleavage can't hide that. Was there just
an extra machine gun lying around? (Or she hides one in her huge
dress just in case.)

> If the writers are going for maximum emotional damage here, they'll have
> Yufiniea and Suzaku face off.  Yufi, under command to kill all Japanese,
> and Suzaku, under command to "Live", should result in a predictable
> manner.  Either Yufiniea will manage to throw off the geass long enough to
> kill herself, or Suzaku, in a Geass-induced trance, will shoot her.
> Either way, Suzaku will be blamed for killing the princess.  Oh, what a
> delightful end to an otherwise touching love affair!  And here I was
> wondering about the implications of them using Arthurian names - like
> Lancelot - and if they'd turn the whole show into a re-imagining of
> Arthurian legend!  Well, maybe they'll still do that...

Well, Euphie could succeed. Or maybe Suzaku could hide or severely
maim Euphie.

> I do have questions though.  No, not about C2.  I'll assume that her past
> will be revealed with time, as will her true role in the story.

Oh, the closed captioning refers to her as "C.C.", either in being
said or as introducing a narration. When she captured Mao, she
referred to a "C," which I guess is C1. From the Mao incidents, I
guess that C2 is at least 30 years in age, but can still pass as a
student.

> No, I'm more confused about what happened to Lelouch.  Clearly he was
> about to use his geass on the princess, when she interrupted him with her
> speech and won him over.  Did this mean his geass was activated and was
> just waiting for him to look someone in the eye and issue a command?  Or,
> as Lelouch supposes, is his geass now "on" permanently - meaning he'll
> have to wear dark glasses, or else surround himself with people he's
> already used his geass on?

Worse, I'm not sure that he was looking at her at all when it
happened! Now he'll have to concentrate to keep it off, or stay
around C2 and/or previous victims.

> Also, why did he give that exact command?  That just doesn't make any
> sense.  Sure, he wasn't expecting it to do anything, but why something so
> grim?  Why not something like "If I told you to hop like a bunny, you'd
> have to do it."?  That would have been more light hearted...even if it
> meant that the princess would spend the rest of her life hopping around
> like a bunny.  Still, that was the worst possible outcome, and yet that's
> the one he chose to joke about.

Considering Euphie and her dresses, I think all the non-gay guys and
non-straight gals in the audiences (ours and in their world) would
prefer the bunny-hop option over genocide.

> It also seems that the Geass is not immediate - either that or Yufi is
> very strong minded as she appeared to be fighting against the command for
> a moment.  Does this mean you can fight off the Geass if you're mentally
> tough enough?  Or, is your original "self" locked away, stuck watching the
> modified you go about its business?  Does Yufi know fully what she's doing,
> or does the Geass overwrite your mind to fit the command, no matter how
> contradictory those two may be?

I think the latter.

> And what of the soldiers inside the zone?  I'm sure they'll all just say
> they were "following orders".  But the whole sale slaughter of civilians?
> On television?  On order of a princess you never liked in the first
> place?  It seems too convienent to me.  As if the Geass somehow managed to
> arrange Lelouch's command - which if true, has very frightening
> consequences...

Some soldiers didn't have too much problems considering if Kururugi
should be included in those orders, even though he's also military.
(Well, back in the beginning of the show, when Jeremiah was still
around [remember him; he was Villeta's buddy and the temporary
viceroy] there was friction between the various branches.)

Daryle Walker