Pirate Bay founders get 1 year....

selaboc

Apr 17, 2009, 3:15:48 PM4/17/09

Derek Janssen

Apr 17, 2009, 4:20:27 PM4/17/09

Lesson 1: When crafting a website, try NOT to choose a name that
advertises you might be doing something generally considered illegal.

Derek Janssen (well, guess I'll have to disband
BlowUpCentersofGovernment.com)
eja...@verizon.net

mmala...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2009, 4:23:41 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 3:20 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> selaboc wrote:
> >http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH123376...

> > Dorky will be by shortly.....
>
> Lesson 1:  When crafting a website, try NOT to choose a name that
> advertises you might be doing something generally considered illegal.
>
> Derek Janssen (well, guess I'll have to disband
> BlowUpCentersofGovernment.com)
> ejan...@verizon.net

The FBI is now monitoring this thread.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 17, 2009, 6:10:48 PM4/17/09

Ha! We will set them up the bomb! They have no chance to survive!

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2009, 6:23:43 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 12:15 pm, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH123376...

> Dorky will be by shortly.....

Who? Moi????

The courts seem to be sending wildly mixed messages on the matter
(some very encouraging for the future of anime (this one), and some
not (a previously discussed ruling that illegal download != lost
sale))...

Rulings like this are somewhat encouraging though -- if such material
is to be on the Internet at all, a degree of censorship (on control of
the content _by its owners_) _must_ follow...

Mike

Rob Kelk

Apr 17, 2009, 6:41:41 PM4/17/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:10:48 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>mmala...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Lesson 1: When crafting a website, try NOT to choose a name that
>>> advertises you might be doing something generally considered illegal.
>>>
>>> Derek Janssen (well, guess I'll have to disband
>>> BlowUpCentersofGovernment.com)
>>> ejan...@verizon.net
>>
>> The FBI is now monitoring this thread.
>
> Ha! We will set them up the bomb! They have no chance to survive!

For Great ... justice?

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Rob Kelk

Apr 17, 2009, 6:57:42 PM4/17/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:15:48 -0700 (PDT), selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH12337620090417?feedType=RSS&feedName=technology-media-telco-SP&rpc=22&sp=true

This is a *bad* ruling, IMHO. As long as this verdict is in force, you
can go to jail in Sweden because you said something about *somebody
else's* illegal activity.

I hope it's overturned quickly, and not just because of the "freedom of
speech" issue. Law enforcement needs to be able to get people to tell
them about other people's crimes without fear that the whistleblower
will end up serving time...

--
Rob Kelk
Personal address, in ROT-13: eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 17, 2009, 7:09:48 PM4/17/09
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:10:48 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> mmala...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> The FBI is now monitoring this thread.
>> Ha! We will set them up the bomb! They have no chance to survive!
>
> For Great ... justice?

They should make their time.

Derek Janssen

Apr 17, 2009, 7:10:55 PM4/17/09
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 17, 12:15 pm, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH123376...
>>
>>Dorky will be by shortly.....
>

> Who? Moi????

Yes, *you*, Miss Piggy:
The one who tries to extrapolate it into some sweeping generalization
about US Torrenters--When it's a pretty clear indication that no
theaters or video rentals even seem to EXIST in Denmark, Belgium, Sweden
or Netherlands, which is why pirating 'Merkan movies seems to be a
treasured way of life in those wacky Euro countries.

...Over here, they're just considered weird foreign losers.

Derek Janssen (it's a cultural thing)
eja...@verizon.net

Blade

Apr 17, 2009, 7:19:31 PM4/17/09

The schadenfreude, it is delicious.

-
Blade
(despite the inexplicable invitation to you-know-who)

sanjian

Apr 17, 2009, 8:27:27 PM4/17/09

According to the DHS, I'm a right-wing extreminst, so they were already
monitoring this group.

Traveler

Apr 17, 2009, 8:42:17 PM4/17/09

Not nearly enough.

Kurt Cocaine

Apr 17, 2009, 9:27:59 PM4/17/09
Those guys were hilarious, I'll miss 'em.
I envy them being able to tell lawyers to fuck themselves. That's one
thing you can't do in America.

Warewolf

Apr 17, 2009, 10:12:56 PM4/17/09
Traveler <qwrt...@gmail.com> wrote in news:12d037d5-96d2-458f-ac11-
3eaa3a...@a5g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

> Not nearly enough.

Aaaaah, your brother blows bubble gum. }X^Ş

(and your father drives a pickle wagon)

RLP

Apr 17, 2009, 10:47:45 PM4/17/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:09:48 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>Rob Kelk wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:10:48 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
>> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Ha! We will set them up the bomb! They have no chance to survive!
>>
>> For Great ... justice?
>>

> They should make their time.

You mean the slimebags who let people rot in prison to cover up their
informers who really did the deed? The geniuses who investigated a
bunch of other government folks when the Russian spy was really one of
their own agents?. The outfit that's mostly lawyers and accountants
and was the creation of a deep closeted cross-dressing blackmailer?

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2009, 10:53:54 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 4:10 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 12:15 pm, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH123376...
>
> >>Dorky will be by shortly.....
>
> > Who?  Moi????
>
> Yes, *you*, Miss Piggy:
> The one who tries to extrapolate it into some sweeping generalization
> about US Torrenters--When it's a pretty clear indication that no
> theaters or video rentals even seem to EXIST in Denmark, Belgium, Sweden
> or Netherlands, which is why pirating 'Merkan movies seems to be a
> treasured way of life in those wacky Euro countries.

YOU DAMN RIGHT IT'S VS. US TORRENTERS...

And if we had some damn copyright laws with some teeth, anime would
still exist in some real form...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2009, 10:54:53 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 3:57 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:15:48 -0700 (PDT), selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSLH123376...

> This is a *bad* ruling, IMHO. As long as this verdict is in force, you
> can go to jail in Sweden because you said something about *somebody
> else's* illegal activity.
>
> I hope it's overturned quickly, and not just because of the "freedom of
> speech" issue. Law enforcement needs to be able to get people to tell
> them about other people's crimes without fear that the whistleblower
> will end up serving time...

If you honestly believe there's freedom of speech anywhere, you're a
fool.

The ONLY reason I'm not doing major jail time is because people don't
believe me.

The MOMENT someone did, the last criminal investigation started and I
did a year.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Apr 17, 2009, 11:46:59 PM4/17/09
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> The ONLY reason I'm not doing major jail time is because people don't
> believe me.
>
> And the ONLY reason I'm not doing federal time is because they're too busy
> laughing at me and pulling my shorts into wedgies.

...Obviously a conspiracy. 9_9

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

darthmark

Apr 18, 2009, 4:49:07 AM4/18/09
Oh shi- wtf have I been watching these past few years?

--
In Soviet Russia, websites visit you!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 18, 2009, 8:51:01 AM4/18/09

Yeah. I guess this new Fullmetal Alchemist thing isn't anime at all. Or
the Naruto Shippuden stuff they're showing every week. Shame about the
death of anime, film at 11.

Rob Kelk

Apr 18, 2009, 9:13:16 AM4/18/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:42:17 -0700 (PDT), Traveler <qwrt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Not nearly enough.

"More to the point, entertainment industry attacks on file-sharing are
doing for file-sharing sites what Prohibition did for the Mafia: turning
them into sympathetic heroes who are just nobly trying to help their
fellow citizens. The Pirate Bay may not look like a speakeasy, but what
else is it, really?"

http://www.pelicancrossing.net/netwars/2009/04/i_think_were_all_pirates_on_th.html

Blade

Apr 18, 2009, 9:49:59 AM4/18/09

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:42:17 -0700 (PDT), Traveler <qwrt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Not nearly enough.
>
> "More to the point, entertainment industry attacks on file-sharing are
> doing for file-sharing sites what Prohibition did for the Mafia: turning
> them into sympathetic heroes who are just nobly trying to help their
> fellow citizens. The Pirate Bay may not look like a speakeasy, but what
> else is it, really?"

Did the average Speakeasy post big signs out front saying "Homemade Hooch
here!", have a policy of mooning passing police officers, and post up
pictures of local judges in unflattering poses?

No?

Then I'd say it's something else.

They got fined and sentenced to jail in a country that had previously been
legally lenient with file-sharing, basically entirely due to how blatantly
and arrogantly they flouted the law. Online commentators say that's a
victory for file-sharing? Even a propaganda victory? Quelle surprise.

-
Blade

Derek Janssen

Apr 18, 2009, 10:58:59 AM4/18/09
Blade wrote:

>> "More to the point, entertainment industry attacks on file-sharing are
>> doing for file-sharing sites what Prohibition did for the Mafia: turning
>> them into sympathetic heroes who are just nobly trying to help their
>> fellow citizens. The Pirate Bay may not look like a speakeasy, but what
>> else is it, really?"
>
> Did the average Speakeasy post big signs out front saying "Homemade
> Hooch here!", have a policy of mooning passing police officers, and post
> up pictures of local judges in unflattering poses?
>
> No?
>
> Then I'd say it's something else.

Particularly when it's selling "homemade hooch" to countries including
those where there's a liquor store on every corner.
The idea of some college student in Amsterdam drooling over the idea of
getting to see "Watchmen" months ahead at the same time as the Americans
are, doesn't QUITE play in the over in the territories where the natives
know they can just wait a month or two to buy the DVD if they missed it
at their corner cineplex.

Pirate Bay was designed for
A) those who geographically CAN'T get it, and think they're being
clever-geeks for finding it, or
B) those who are so personally caught up in the subculture that they CAN
download it, they're long past the argument of why they should bother.

...Neither of which affects the US anime torrent community, where we're
trying to bridge a gap of not being able to get it even if we did wait
for it, and not particularly happy about it.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Abraham Evangelista

Apr 18, 2009, 3:55:08 PM4/18/09

Did you make the "Search on his way through the airport" list too? I
was on that one for a while.
--
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Apr 18, 2009, 4:07:38 PM4/18/09

Dunno. TSA is such a pain that I stopped flying.

Plus, they won't let me take my pickup on board.

SpaceButler

Apr 18, 2009, 4:09:55 PM4/18/09
"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Did the average Speakeasy post big signs out front saying "Homemade
> Hooch here!", have a policy of mooning passing police officers, and
> post up pictures of local judges in unflattering poses?
>
> No?

I think you underestimate the amount of corruption in America in the last
100 years. Prohibition was a nationwide scam for certain parties to buy up
liquor companies on the cheap and establish monopolies. Judges and police
were compromised. They came to only care about their kickbacks and not
badmouthing. Corruption is proportional to the number of laws and
regulations.

Bones has a good handle on this in Shangri-La. How is the carbon-credits
market any less of a scam than what Enron was doing?

Traveler

Apr 18, 2009, 4:43:58 PM4/18/09

> Dunno.  TSA is such a pain that I stopped flying.

I used to fly several times a year, but I've stoped completely. It's
just not worth it any more.

sanjian

Apr 18, 2009, 5:08:20 PM4/18/09

Even though I think global warming is a load of hogwash, I've still got to
say that, if it IS true, then a cetain system like Cap&Crunch might make
sense. Though the current proposed implementations are sufficiently flawed
to be worse than the damage they seek to avert.

On the other hand, I won't deny that there's ALSO a racket angle to it. The
existence of legitimate (for the sake of argument) reasons does not preclude
graft, or vice versa.

sanjian

Apr 18, 2009, 5:08:58 PM4/18/09

Before long, a willingness to fly will be, in its own right, suspicious.

Derek Janssen

Apr 18, 2009, 5:18:56 PM4/18/09
sanjian wrote:

> SpaceButler wrote:
>
>>"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Did the average Speakeasy post big signs out front saying "Homemade
>>>Hooch here!", have a policy of mooning passing police officers, and
>>>post up pictures of local judges in unflattering poses?
>>>
>>>No?
>>>

>><loopy off-topic episode snipped>

> On the other hand, I won't deny that there's ALSO a racket angle to it. The
> existence of legitimate (for the sake of argument) reasons does not preclude
> graft, or vice versa.

Anti-prohibition had what marijuana-deregulationists only WISH they had
(and don't)--Namely, sympathetic politicians on their side:
Half the corporate giants, and even most of FDR's cabinet knew where to
get good "decadent" hooch when they needed it, and the forbidden thrills
of going downtown to communally break the law made it "stylish" for
those with the money to support it...Much like cocaine prohibition
would've had a tough time during the days of Studio 57.
It was those organizations still in favor of prohibition that had
neither the money nor the clout to keep it going.

Like those two guys who got caught for the Aqua Teen stunt, our
Euro-naive "Rebel hackers" thought they could crowd-dive into the love
of their subculture, not realizing that their "fans"...didn't really
have much power to get them out of their trouble to begin with.
And if they're expecting to spark any debate from politicians or studio
execs, hate to break it to them, but most of the grownups don't even
know how most of the stuff works in the first place--Guys, you're on
your OWN.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 18, 2009, 5:21:02 PM4/18/09

I've flown more after 9/11 than I did in the almost 40 years of my life
before.

Blade

Apr 18, 2009, 5:53:53 PM4/18/09

"SpaceButler" <n...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

What?

No, seriously, what on earth are you talking about?

-
Blade

Farix

Apr 18, 2009, 5:54:35 PM4/18/09

You can. But it won't get you very far.

Farix

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2009, 6:03:17 PM4/18/09
On Apr 18, 1:49 am, darthmark <mmalaba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Yes, *you*, Miss Piggy:
> >> The one who tries to extrapolate it into some sweeping generalization
> >> about US Torrenters--When it's a pretty clear indication that no
> >> theaters or video rentals even seem to EXIST in Denmark, Belgium, Sweden
> >> or Netherlands, which is why pirating 'Merkan movies seems to be a
> >> treasured way of life in those wacky Euro countries.
>
> > YOU DAMN RIGHT IT'S VS. US TORRENTERS...
>
> > And if we had some damn copyright laws with some teeth, anime would
> > still exist in some real form...
>
> > Mike
>
> Oh shi- wtf have I been watching these past few years?

My question exactly...

Ever since the "fans" of anime have basically decided that anime
should no longer be paid for, the stuff being made has degraded in
quality and in storyline so significantly that it's hardly worth
watching.

Mike (And some of it shouldn't even be _allowed_ to be made...)

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2009, 6:04:28 PM4/18/09
On Apr 18, 5:51 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> darthmark wrote:
> > darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> YOU DAMN RIGHT IT'S VS. US TORRENTERS...
>
> >> And if we had some damn copyright laws with some teeth, anime would
> >> still exist in some real form...
>
> >> Mike
> > Oh shi- wtf have I been watching these past few years?
>
>         Yeah. I guess this new Fullmetal Alchemist thing isn't anime at all. Or
> the Naruto Shippuden stuff they're showing every week. Shame about the
> death of anime, film at 11.

It's an adaptation of the manga. (In both cases...)

I mean, geez -- sounds like the last original idea that anyone came up
with (which didn't involve some form of pedophilia) was a number of
years ago.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2009, 6:05:40 PM4/18/09
On Apr 17, 8:46 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The ONLY reason I'm not doing major jail time is because people don't
> > believe me.

And the ONLY reason I'm not doing federal time is because they're too
busy
laughing at me and pulling my shorts into wedgies.

> ...Obviously a conspiracy.  9_9

Ignore me at your peril.

T-shirt words to live by.

I fixed the attributions, by the way.

Mike (I can play silly post-games too...)

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2009, 6:06:52 PM4/18/09
On Apr 18, 6:13 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:42:17 -0700 (PDT), Traveler <qwrtz...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>

> >Not nearly enough.
>
> "More to the point, entertainment industry attacks on file-sharing are
> doing for file-sharing sites what Prohibition did for the Mafia: turning
> them into sympathetic heroes who are just nobly trying to help their
> fellow citizens. The Pirate Bay may not look like a speakeasy, but what
> else is it, really?"
>
> http://www.pelicancrossing.net/netwars/2009/04/i_think_were_all_pirat...

If BitTorrent, what Crunchyroll was, etc. are not shut down and
prosecuted for what they were or have become, there can be no saleable
model for something like anime.

The entire anime industry (both sides of the Pacific) would become a
"buggy-whip" situation.

Mike

Galen

Apr 18, 2009, 6:17:34 PM4/18/09
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:53:53 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Bones has a good handle on this in Shangri-La. How is the carbon-credits
>> market any less of a scam than what Enron was doing?

>What?
>
>No, seriously, what on earth are you talking about?
>
>-
>Blade

Shangri-La is a new anime this season about a future
society in which Global Warming Policy dominates
everyday life. I haven't seen it.

-Galen

Aje RavenStar

Apr 18, 2009, 6:33:16 PM4/18/09

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

I'd be more suspicious of a captain or crew not willing to fly <g>.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 18, 2009, 6:34:42 PM4/18/09

An *ANIME* adaptation.

Wasn't the industry supposed to be GONE by now, Chicken Little?

Come on, what's your lameoid excuse? We just had a long series of posts
in the past couple of months discussing all of the NEW SERIES that just
started. MULTIPLE new series, not just one or two, Chicken Little.
That's not an industry that's dead, in case you haven't noticed.

Derek Janssen

Apr 18, 2009, 9:25:55 PM4/18/09
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Yeah. I guess this new Fullmetal Alchemist thing isn't anime
>>> at all. Or
>>> the Naruto Shippuden stuff they're showing every week. Shame about the
>>> death of anime, film at 11.
>>

>> It's an adaptation of the manga.
>

> An *ANIME* adaptation.
>
> Wasn't the industry supposed to be GONE by now, Chicken Little?
>
> Come on, what's your lameoid excuse?

Well, we've already seen--
On second go-round, it goes from "The industry's dead" to "Well, they're
still making shows, just...I don't like 'em!"

Derek Janssen (fair enough)
eja...@verizon.net

Jim diGriz

Apr 19, 2009, 7:44:04 AM4/19/09

Even for characters with wings?

JdG (ever slightly on topic)

sanjian

Apr 19, 2009, 10:18:28 PM4/19/09

Shangri-La is a series set in a post-warming Earth. One of the characters
plays the role of a much-cuter Warren Buffet, except in the carbon credits
market. On one hand, she's clearly running a scam. On the other hand, it
IS a post-warming world, where Japan is now tropical. So, unless there's
some evidence of undue influence in said warming, we can also safely assume
that global warming is real in this world.

Thus we have a system that is much as I said - both scam and fact.

Gerardo Campos

Apr 20, 2009, 12:33:34 AM4/20/09

I remember Future Boy Conan, a 1978 anime that featured a world where the
sea level rised, but I do not recallure if by global warming or other
reason.

Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2009, 1:32:53 AM4/20/09
I think you know the answer as to why it's not dead yet...

The same reason all the other companies still limp as dead zombies --
false money.

Try again, Derek.

Mike (outside of the few usual suspects, the stuff has been
essentially reduced to low-budget shit and pedophilac crap)

Galen

Apr 20, 2009, 6:09:02 AM4/20/09
On 20 Apr 2009 04:33:34 GMT, Gerardo Campos <mac...@mx1.ibm.com>
wrote:

Based on a novel "The Incredible Tide", it was caused by war.

>Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?

Space Battleship Yamato - all the oceans are boiled away
by enemy attack.

Robert Sneddon

Apr 20, 2009, 6:52:16 AM4/20/09
In message <Xns9BF2EF8E...@130.133.1.18>, Gerardo Campos
<mac...@mx1.ibm.com> writes

>I remember Future Boy Conan, a 1978 anime that featured a world where the
>sea level rised,
>
>Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (four OAVs) has a sea-level rise as well as
other unspecified climatic and biological changes going on. Mount Fuji
is missing a chunk off one side of its cone so it might have erupted
again. Nobody talks about exactly what happened in the manga or the
anime.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

sanjian

Apr 20, 2009, 9:34:43 AM4/20/09

In 1978, it wouldn't have been global warming. As I recall, only one
scientist was talking about it, back then, and nobody knew who he was.
Common wisdom was that we were heading for an ice age.

Blade

Apr 20, 2009, 9:52:59 AM4/20/09

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

I feel the need to point out that is simply not true. The theory of eventual
global warming due to carbon dioxide released by burning fossil fuels was
first published a Swedish scientist in 1896. Serious research into the
amount of greenhouse gasses (particularly CO2) in the atmosphere began in
the 1950s. While it's true that speculation about a global cooling trend due
to particulates in the atmosphere was a theory in the 1940s and onward, it
existed at the same time as the theory of global warming and the weight of
evidence came to favour the latter, as indicative by the virtually unanimous
acceptance of man-made global warming by the scientific community (including
every single scientific body of national and international standing, as of
2007).

-
Blade

Invid Fan

Apr 20, 2009, 2:43:21 PM4/20/09
In article <Xns9BF2EF8E...@130.133.1.18>, Gerardo Campos
<mac...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:

> Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?

Nausicaa.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Invid Fan

Apr 20, 2009, 2:46:36 PM4/20/09
In article
<2b5424d5-eb7b-420e...@z16g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
<darkst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike (outside of the few usual suspects, the stuff has been
> essentially reduced to low-budget shit and pedophilac crap)

But that's how it started out and in some respect has always been
(replacing "pedophilac crap" with other fetish of the moment as
needed). Static isn't the same as reduced to :)

Captain Nerd

Apr 20, 2009, 5:06:15 PM4/20/09
In article <200420091443211739%in...@loclanet.com>,
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:

> In article <Xns9BF2EF8E...@130.133.1.18>, Gerardo Campos
> <mac...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?
>
> Nausicaa.

Blue Gender.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Traveler

Apr 20, 2009, 6:52:55 PM4/20/09
On Apr 18, 2:21 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

You must have a very high tolerance for insanity.

Rob Kelk

Apr 20, 2009, 7:19:42 PM4/20/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:52:55 -0700 (PDT), Traveler <qwrt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 18, 2:21 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
><seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I used to fly several times a year, but I've stoped completely. It's
>> > just not worth it any more.
>>
>> I've flown more after 9/11 than I did in the almost 40 years of my life
>> before.
>>

>You must have a very high tolerance for insanity.

I've flown more since 9/11 than in the two decades before, as well. Mind
you, that's because my nephew earned his private pilot's licence after
9/11, and (at least around here) a small private aircraft means never
having to go through pre-flight...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Gerardo Campos

Apr 20, 2009, 7:50:58 PM4/20/09
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote on Mon 20 Apr 2009 04:06:15p:

> In article <200420091443211739%in...@loclanet.com>,
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns9BF2EF8E...@130.133.1.18>, Gerardo Campos
>> <mac...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?
>>
>> Nausicaa.
>
> Blue Gender.

Just remembered Agent Aika

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Gerardo Campos

Apr 20, 2009, 7:54:09 PM4/20/09

Well, by that time, there were already warnings of the effects of CFC to
the ozone layer, which causes a hole in that layer and increases the
temperature in Antarctica

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Gerardo Campos

Apr 20, 2009, 8:19:08 PM4/20/09
Traveler <qwrt...@gmail.com> wrote on Mon 20 Apr 2009 05:52:55p:

> On Apr 18, 2:21 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I used to fly several times a year, but I've stoped completely.
>> >  It's just not worth it any more.
>>
>>         I've flown more after 9/11 than I did in the almost 40 ye
> ars of my life
>> before.

I flew on September 21st, 2001 from La Guardia to Mexico, with a stop in
Dallas Ft Worth, best and most comfortable flight I ever made within the
United States.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 20, 2009, 9:46:06 PM4/20/09

While I don't like the circus of security, the extremity of complaints
just makes the complainers look bad.

I walk up to the security checkpoint, put my stuff on the conveyor,
walk through the gate, pick my stuff up, go on. Takes me 5 minutes. The
only time it was "insanity" was when I was travelling with my whole
family -- three hyperactive kids from 4 to 12 years old and my wife. And
THAT's a circus of insanity EVERYWHERE I go.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Apr 21, 2009, 1:55:35 AM4/21/09
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:

> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
>> Gerardo Campos <mac...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>>> Are there other anime that showed ecologic catastrophes?
>>
>> Nausicaa.
>
> Blue Gender.

Does "Real Drive" count?

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Giovanni Wassen

Apr 21, 2009, 1:59:52 AM4/21/09

>>> Nausicaa.
>>
>> Blue Gender.
>>

> Just remembered Agent Aika

Real Drive (IIRC).

--
Gio

http://www.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

Giovanni Wassen

Apr 21, 2009, 2:03:08 AM4/21/09
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nausicaa.
>>
>> Blue Gender.
>
> Does "Real Drive" count?

:) I was late I see.

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2009, 2:35:03 AM4/21/09
On Apr 20, 6:46 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>         While I don't like the circus of security, the extremity of complaints
> just makes the complainers look bad.

I think they've always wanted to add to the ranks of the domestic
terrorists on the No Fly List.

Mike (Legitimately stunned I'm not on it.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2009, 2:37:04 AM4/21/09
On Apr 20, 11:46 am, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <2b5424d5-eb7b-420e-877a-4acdaa2a5...@z16g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> <darkstar7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mike (outside of the few usual suspects, the stuff has been
> > essentially reduced to low-budget shit and pedophilac crap)
>
> But that's how it started out and in some respect has always been
> (replacing "pedophilac crap" with other fetish of the moment as
> needed). Static isn't the same as reduced to :)

I disagree not with what you are saying -- it's the point of what the
"other fetish of the moment" _is_ that I have a serious issue with.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Apr 21, 2009, 2:59:13 AM4/21/09
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

You seem to be legitimately stunned easy. 9_9

Derek Janssen (a recent easing of restrictions have taken "Hopeless
dweebs" off the security list, under new Obama regulations)
eja...@verizon.net

Captain Nerd

Apr 21, 2009, 8:36:58 AM4/21/09
In article <59eHl.1359$N5....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Apr 20, 6:46 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> >

> >> While I don't like the circus of security, the extremity of
> >> complaints
> >>just makes the complainers look bad.
> >

> > I think they've always wanted to add to the ranks of the domestic
> > terrorists on the No Fly List.
> >
> > Mike (Legitimately stunned I'm not on it.)
>
> You seem to be legitimately stunned easy. 9_9

It's being soft in the head that does it...

sanjian

Apr 21, 2009, 5:53:23 PM4/21/09
Blade wrote:
> "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

>> In 1978, it wouldn't have been global warming. As I recall, only one

>> scientist was talking about it, back then, and nobody knew who he
>> was. Common wisdom was that we were heading for an ice age.
>
> I feel the need to point out that is simply not true. The theory of
> eventual global warming due to carbon dioxide released by burning
> fossil fuels was first published a Swedish scientist in 1896. Serious
> research into the amount of greenhouse gasses (particularly CO2) in
> the atmosphere began in the 1950s. While it's true that speculation
> about a global cooling trend due to particulates in the atmosphere
> was a theory in the 1940s and onward, it existed at the same time as
> the theory of global warming and the weight of evidence came to
> favour the latter, as indicative by the virtually unanimous
> acceptance of man-made global warming by the scientific community
> (including every single scientific body of national and international
> standing, as of 2007).

I feel the need to point out that both the "weight of evidence" and
"virtually unanimous acceptance of man-made global warming by the scientfic
comunity" claim are simply not true. Twice, now, a large group of reputable
scientists (including Dr. Dyson) have registered their objections.

As far your statements about how far back global warming goes are concerned,
if the ideas existed, they certainly had very little support.

sanjian

Apr 21, 2009, 5:56:19 PM4/21/09

Similar, but a whole different issue. I'm not sure anyone is actually
trying to sell the idea that the ozone hole is causing global warming
(though that was a common misconception when they first started with the
full-court press).

Gerardo Campos

Apr 21, 2009, 11:42:42 PM4/21/09

I am not saying that the hole in the ozone layer is causing global warming,
just indicating that in the late 70s that issue was noticed.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

sanjian

Apr 22, 2009, 12:02:04 AM4/22/09

My point is that it's not the same issue.

Abraham Evangelista

Apr 22, 2009, 12:31:50 AM4/22/09
On 20 Apr 2009 23:50:58 GMT, Gerardo Campos <mac...@mx1.ibm.com>
wrote:

>Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote on Mon 20 Apr 2009 04:06:15p:

And accordingly, Najica - Blitz tactics.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Apr 22, 2009, 5:58:19 PM4/22/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:52:59 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

If you remember the old Bell Labs films, here's more of how far
back it was known . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7GFg>

Funny how the "Global Cooling" meme the deniers always point to was
almost entirely based on *one* Newsweek article from (IIRC) 1974,
which it seems serious scientists never took to.

--

- ReFlex76

Captain Nerd

Apr 22, 2009, 6:24:15 PM4/22/09
In article <mq1vu4lfm63fjf8vt...@4ax.com>,

I remember it as '77, as we were digging out of a series of major
snowstorms that basically closed the Midwest and middle South that
winter. I went back to EKU in the middle of that blizzard, with
me, my dad and my roommate sharing driving duties in the 14 hour
drive that usually took two hours. I stood in line to register
for classes the next day, there was nearly 18 inches of snow, and
the temperature didn't get above zero for about three weeks. This
was in central Kentucky, which very very seldom had that kind of
snow. I remember it snowed pretty fiercely several times that
January and February, and we basically didn't see ground under
the snow and ice until the end of March or so. Then the next year
we had the same kind of winter, major snow and bitter cold.
Believe me, it wasn't just one article that made people think that
the next Ice Age was coming...

sanjian

Apr 22, 2009, 6:27:18 PM4/22/09

That clip, while interesting, does not say anything as to how wide-spread
that belief was.

sanjian

Apr 22, 2009, 6:45:27 PM4/22/09

I heard about it all throughout the '80s. It was either the ice age or acid
rain. Maybe acid snow? As the co-founder of Green Peace noted, by the
early 1990s, most Americans had embraced reasonable changes, such as
limiting smog. That's why the environmental movement had to start getting
more and more out there. That's why he bailed from GP.

Invid Fan

Apr 22, 2009, 8:20:39 PM4/22/09
In article <7PKdnecH4thUBHLU...@posted.internetamerica>,
sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

In science ideas start with a small group of scientists asking a
question, and as the evidence comes in on one side or the other we find
out what the truth probably is. The theory was out there long before we
knew enough to say yeah or nay.

Giovanni Wassen

Apr 23, 2009, 3:10:34 AM4/23/09
"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

> I heard about it all throughout the '80s. It was either the ice age
> or acid rain.

I remember commercials by Greenpeace (they do that over here) from years
ago which depicted an alternate future where people started running to
breathing masks the moment it started to rain. That was their vision of the
future.

sanjian

Apr 23, 2009, 6:28:46 AM4/23/09
Giovanni Wassen wrote:
> "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> I heard about it all throughout the '80s. It was either the ice age
>> or acid rain.
>
> I remember commercials by Greenpeace (they do that over here) from
> years ago which depicted an alternate future where people started
> running to breathing masks the moment it started to rain. That was
> their vision of the future.

And, to be fair, it might not have been all that inaccurate (though at a
longer time scale) had we not adopted reasonable measures to prevent it -
partly brought about by GP's awareness campaigns. I am not, at all, against
rational environmentalism or sustainability. Hell, I even intend to get my
LEED certification. I just don't like being sold a bill of goods.

c64...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 7:48:35 AM4/23/09
On Apr 22, 6:24 pm, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
>    Believe me, it wasn't just one article that made people think that
>    the next Ice Age was coming...
>
>    Cap.

Indeed. Anyone who is old enough to remember the 70s and hasn't had
their memory addled by drinking the kool-aid knows that it wasn't just
one article. "The meme" exists for a reason. I'm not a newsweek
reader (not then and not now), but I lived through the 70s and I
remember it being the thing discussed in the public sphere and on the
public airwaves back then. It was decades later that "global warming"
replaced it as the thing being discusses in the public sphere and on
the public airwaves.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 8:48:02 AM4/23/09

<c64...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You are aware there is a (often striking) difference between what "public
airwaves" discuss and what is actually believed by the scientific community,
right?

-
Blade

Captain Nerd

Apr 23, 2009, 9:30:39 AM4/23/09
In article <gspo28$6jq$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

And you're aware that until recently science was performed by
controlled experiment, not by consensus on which models garner
the most research grants. It's not much of a "scientific"
community when some scientists are ignored because their findings
or models don't fit the consensus opinion.

John Burnham

Apr 23, 2009, 9:39:42 AM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:30:39 -0400, Captain Nerd wrote:

> In article <gspo28$6jq$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You are aware there is a (often striking) difference between what "public
>> airwaves" discuss and what is actually believed by the scientific community,
>> right?
>
> And you're aware that until recently science was performed by
> controlled experiment, not by consensus on which models garner
> the most research grants. It's not much of a "scientific"
> community when some scientists are ignored because their findings
> or models don't fit the consensus opinion.

And just because something is actually believed by the scientific
community doesn't make it true. Phlogiston, anyone ? Kepler's Fourth Law ?

Personally, I look at the evidence and try to make my own mind up. The
figures suggest that the average temperature of the planet is going up.
So, global warming looks plausible. However, some of the outlying evidence
(such as Mars' average temperature also rising and the fact that some ice
sheets are growing rather than shrinking) suggest that it's not as clear
cut as some people think. And why would it be ? The climate is a huge,
chaotic system - even the best models get it wrong some times.

c64...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 10:02:25 AM4/23/09

Didn't say otherwise did I?
The point that so obviously went over your head is that it wasn't just
"one article in newsweek" as the kool-aid drinkers try to make it out
to be.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:08:37 AM4/23/09

<c64...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

So what was it? Let's see the overwhelming scientific consensus for "global
cooling" that existed and parallels the overwhelming scientific consensus
for man-made climate change that exists today. You compared them. Present
your evidence.

-
Blade

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:09:49 AM4/23/09

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

Wow, that's the same argument creationists use. Care to back it up? With,
you know, evidence?

-
Blade

Captain Nerd

Apr 23, 2009, 10:16:02 AM4/23/09
In article <gspsrk$co1$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

No. This is Usenet, not a court of law, you're not a judge, and there
is no jury. You presented your snarky opinion, I presented my equally
snarky opinion, and that's that.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:24:32 AM4/23/09

"John Burnham" <jo...@jaka.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:30:39 -0400, Captain Nerd wrote:
>
>> In article <gspo28$6jq$1...@news.albasani.net>,
>> "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> You are aware there is a (often striking) difference between what
>>> "public
>>> airwaves" discuss and what is actually believed by the scientific
>>> community,
>>> right?
>>
>> And you're aware that until recently science was performed by
>> controlled experiment, not by consensus on which models garner
>> the most research grants. It's not much of a "scientific"
>> community when some scientists are ignored because their findings
>> or models don't fit the consensus opinion.
>
> And just because something is actually believed by the scientific
> community doesn't make it true. Phlogiston, anyone ? Kepler's Fourth Law ?

Ah yes, phlogiston, that theory that was created 350 years ago, not believed
by many learned people even when it was come up with, was repudiated by
repeated scientific evidence in experiments by actual scientists, and was
discarded in favour of theories that actually explained the data hundreds of
years ago. A perfect comparison to a theory which is the consensus of every
international and national scientific body in the year 2009, fits the
available data and in fact has been being used for models (that have proved
accurate) for decades, and has survived and eliminated other theories over
the past century, steadily gaining in adherence until even blatantly
partisan organisations have been forced to acknowledge it due to protest by
their members (such as the American Association of Petroleum Geologists).
What a wonderful and unbiased comparison.

> Personally, I look at the evidence and try to make my own mind up. The
> figures suggest that the average temperature of the planet is going up.
> So, global warming looks plausible. However, some of the outlying evidence
> (such as Mars' average temperature also rising and the fact that some ice
> sheets are growing rather than shrinking) suggest that it's not as clear
> cut as some people think. And why would it be ? The climate is a huge,
> chaotic system - even the best models get it wrong some times.

I love it when ignorant laymen think they're qualified to "look at the
evidence and try to make my own mind up". Hey, why don't you "look at the
evidence" and build a nuclear reactor? There's a whole load of countries
that would be thrilled to pay you tons of money and put you up in luxury for
the rest of your life, since, of course, you know so much better than the
people with degrees who do this for a living.

Ooh, ooh, why don't you build a cheaper, better delivery system to get
material into space? NASA would pay you seven figures at least for that! Or
you could go become a hero of China! Or hell, Nauru bought those satellite
spaces! You could control the economy of an entire country, or just buy an
island and do whatever you like with it. Sure, "scientists" can't do it, but
they're not YOU. You can just go look at the evidence and make your mind up!
I'm sure you have many valuable insights that people who wasted their lives
actually learning those subjects could never come to.

BTW, neither of the things you mentioned contradict the prevailing
scientific consensus on man-made climate change. At all. Which you would
know if you had ever done any reading on the subject. Their reputation as
"contradictory evidence" is blatant lies spread by partisan individuals and
organisations, absolutely no better and no more justified than the "outlying
evidence" creations quote. That is the company you keep. If it doesn't
bother you to be rubbing elbows with Ben Stein, then it bloody well should.

-
Blade

c64...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 10:24:40 AM4/23/09

To quote the captain: "This is Usenet, not a court of law, you're not

a judge, and there is no jury. You presented your snarky opinion, I
presented my equally snarky opinion, and that's that."

The fact remains, despite the amount of kool-aid you've drunken in the
years since, that back in the 1970s (as anyone who lived through it
can attest) the talk of the day was global cooling. This was in the
news (and not just one news magazine as you zealously wish to
believe).

c64...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 10:28:16 AM4/23/09
On Apr 23, 10:24 am, "Blade" <kumonr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I love it when ignorant laymen think they're qualified to "look at the
> evidence and try to make my own mind up".

I love it when ignoranr laymen think other people are ignorant because
they *don't* let other people do the thinking for them.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:31:33 AM4/23/09

>> > Didn't say otherwise did I?
>> > The point that so obviously went over your head is that it wasn't just
>> > "one article in newsweek" as the kool-aid drinkers try to make it out
>> > to be.
>>
>> So what was it? Let's see the overwhelming scientific consensus for
>> "global
>> cooling" that existed and parallels the overwhelming scientific consensus
>> for man-made climate change that exists today. You compared them. Present
>> your evidence.
>

> To quote the captain: "This is Usenet, not a court of law, you're not
> a judge, and there is no jury. You presented your snarky opinion, I
> presented my equally snarky opinion, and that's that."

The difference, of course, being that my opinion is also the opinion of the
people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about.

> The fact remains, despite the amount of kool-aid you've drunken in the
> years since, that back in the 1970s (as anyone who lived through it
> can attest) the talk of the day was global cooling. This was in the
> news (and not just one news magazine as you zealously wish to
> believe).

I didn't say that. I said it wasn't scientific consensus, as global warming
is. I really don't give a crap what newspapers talk about, since
journalistic reporting of science is reliably execrable. The direct
comparison was made by you and yours. There was never, ever, a scientific
consensus that global cooling was occurring. It was a theory, one of several
competing theories, and it lost out due to not correlating with data. It is
a false analogy, used by those who have a vested interest in denying the
facts and those gullible enough to believe them.

In the research community, the "controversy" ended well over a decade ago.
It is, in fact, only due to partisan organisations and execrable journalism
that there is any "controversy" now. So yes, in that sense it really IS
similar to "global cooling".

-
Blade

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:33:00 AM4/23/09

<c64...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Build a spaceship, smart guy. Show all those "scientists" how it's done.
Maybe then they'll listen to your obvious wisdom, and give up on that whole
"research" and "education" thing that isn't panning out for them.

-
Blade

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 10:56:19 AM4/23/09

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

You are incorrect. As I said, every single scientific body of national or
international standing has released statements supporting the theory of
man-made climate change. Every. Single. One. The last to do so was the
American Association of Petroleum Geologists in 2007 (the vested interests
involved with which hardly need to be pointed out), who did so after many of
the members either left the organisation or threatened to not renew their
memberships due to its statements. The organisation also withdrew its
earlier complaints about the "politicization" of the science by every other
scientific organisation, again due to dissent by its own members.

It is true that there are some individual scientists who object to the
theory. So what? There are "reputable" scientists who are creationists. Like
that group, the group as miniscule in percentage, has no unified
counterargument, and is composed chiefly of scientists with partisan ties
and/or who are not skilled in disciplines directly relating to the matter
(this includes Dr. Dyson). They also have a tendency to change their stories
a lot, like Timothy Ball. Freeman Dyson, incidentally, believes in man-made
global warming. Direct quotes courtesy of Wikipedia:

"One of the main causes of warming is the increase of carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere resulting from our burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal
and natural gas."

"As a result of the burning of coal and oil, the driving of cars, and other
human activities, the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is increasing at a
rate of about half a percent per year. …"

"...measurements that transformed global warming from a vague theoretical
speculation into a precise observational science."

He does argue that the danger is overstated and brings out the tired
"shunned for challenging scientific consensus" bogeyman (ignoring, of
course, that he's gotten lots of press for doing just that and as a
mathemetician and physicist, is not qualified to judge the science
involved), but he believes in it and has come to believe in it more over
time. If you're hearing something else from someone else, be aware that that
person is lying. Lying is completely rampant in the movement, for reasons
I'll leave you to ponder. It should also be noted that he believes a
feasible solution to increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is
to bioengineer "carbon-eating trees" and plant a trillion of them.

> As far your statements about how far back global warming goes are
> concerned, if the ideas existed, they certainly had very little support.

Nor did competing theories. The data simply wasn't there until after World
War II. After which several theories competed, many were disproved by
evidence, and one ended up fitting the evidence and accurate predicting
future trends. That one is the one that is the consensus of the scientific
community today.

Since I know you're a rational person, I'll ask you: Why exactly do you
think there would be some sort of conspiracy of groupthink in the scientific
community to push the global warming agenda? Governments, as a rule, have
been very hostile to it at first (including the American government right up
until about a year ago). Denying global warming exists is an absolutely
sure-fire ticket to funding by partisan organisations with vested interests
(such as, most obviously, the oil companies). What reason could there
possibly be to push the agenda? The usual reason given is for grants, but
that's self-evidently bullshit, because grants are easy to get for anyone
who denies it. So why does the vast majority of the scientific community
believe in the theory, and why is it accepted to the point where it is used
as a basis for other theoretical models (and has been for over a decade)
without any murmur? Scientists come from all the sides of the political,
religious, and social spectrum. And yet there is not a single notable
scientific body that opposes the scientific conclusion underpinning man-made
global warming. Why? What is the impetus, if it's not the overwhelming
weight of scientific evidence?

-
Blade

Derek Janssen

Apr 23, 2009, 11:28:04 AM4/23/09
Blade wrote:

> In the research community, the "controversy" ended well over a decade
> ago. It is, in fact, only due to partisan organisations and execrable
> journalism that there is any "controversy" now. So yes, in that sense it
> really IS similar to "global cooling".

(Not that I'm nostalgic for the Darky thread, but I KNEW there'd be a
point where Blade would send us off into new and unexplained virgin
territory...)

Derek Janssen (and VHS fansubbers caused Acid Rain!)
eja...@verizon.net

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 11:42:08 AM4/23/09

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Blade wrote:
>>

>> In the research community, the "controversy" ended well over a decade
>> ago. It is, in fact, only due to partisan organisations and execrable
>> journalism that there is any "controversy" now. So yes, in that sense it
>> really IS similar to "global cooling".
>
> (Not that I'm nostalgic for the Darky thread, but I KNEW there'd be a
> point where Blade would send us off into new and unexplained virgin
> territory...)

You probably missed the part where someone else brought up global warming,
then.

I'll grant this is off-topic, but there's some lies that shouldn't be left
unchallenged, in any forum.

-
Blade

Derek Janssen

Apr 23, 2009, 11:48:07 AM4/23/09
Blade wrote:

Oh, so "Somebody was wrong on USENET!!" you mean? :-p

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Nick

Apr 23, 2009, 12:11:43 PM4/23/09

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:48:07 GMT, in rec.arts.anime.misc, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Oh, so "Somebody was wrong on USENET!!" you mean? :-p

Must of been a Nazi! :D

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

1. The statement below is false.
2. The statement above is true.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 12:13:28 PM4/23/09

> Blade wrote:
>>> (Not that I'm nostalgic for the Darky thread, but I KNEW there'd be a
>>> point where Blade would send us off into new and unexplained virgin
>>> territory...)
>>

>> You probably missed the part where someone else brought up global
>> warming, then.
>>
>> I'll grant this is off-topic, but there's some lies that shouldn't be
>> left unchallenged, in any forum.
>
> Oh, so "Somebody was wrong on USENET!!" you mean? :-p

Yep, pretty much. Considering you keep responding to the troll, though...

-
Blade

John Burnham

Apr 23, 2009, 12:14:18 PM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:24:32 -0400, Blade wrote:

> I love it when ignorant laymen

And I love it when people suddenly know my qualifications. Pillock.

Blade

Apr 23, 2009, 1:51:09 PM4/23/09

"John Burnham" <jo...@jaka.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:24:32 -0400, Blade wrote:
>

>> I love it when ignorant laymen
>
> And I love it when people suddenly know my qualifications. Pillock.

So let's hear what they are, John. What have you published? What are your
credentials for considering yourself an expert qualified to criticise the
science behind the theory that every scientific body of standing in the
world supports? I'll say right now, without fear of contradiction, that
there is not a chance in hell that you have legitimate credentials to
consider yourself an expert on climate change. You are not a climate
scientist. I know this because you are laughably ignorant of the state of
climate science, as your comment about Mars and Antarctica show. You don't
know what the hell you're talking about.

So now that I've gone out on a limb and made sweeping assumptions about your
qualifications or lack thereof, here's your chance to publically make me eat
crow. Link to a scientific paper you've published in a peer-reviewed
journal. Let's see it.

-
Blade

john.b...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 2:18:06 PM4/23/09
On 23 Apr, 18:51, "Blade" <kumonr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So now that I've gone out on a limb and made sweeping assumptions about your
> qualifications or lack thereof, here's your chance to publically make me eat
> crow. Link to a scientific paper you've published in a peer-reviewed
> journal. Let's see it.

Will being a co-author of metallurgy paper presented at an
international conference do you ?
"W.F. Gale, J. Burnham, J.E. King and E.R. Wallach, “Microstructure
and
Mechanical Properties of Ni – Si – B Transient Liquid Phase Bonds”,
Proceedings
of the Third International Conference, Brazing, High-
Temperature Brazing and Diffusion Welding, DVS, 1993"
Written before I got the hell out of academia to somewhere that pays
you enough to live on.
And why the hell would you need to be a climate scientist to have an
opinion about climate science ? Basic scientific training should be
enough.
And, for the record, I'm not disagreeing with the current theories of
climate change. I'm just more interested (as a layman, if you will) in
some of the stuff that's not quite fitting. That's where advances are
made. Think of the whole eccentric behaviour of Mercury and the
connection with General Relativity.

Invid Fan

Apr 23, 2009, 2:56:12 PM4/23/09
In article
<46e3ca00-399a-4a1a...@z19g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
<john.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And why the hell would you need to be a climate scientist to have an
> opinion about climate science ? Basic scientific training should be
> enough.

True, but people going outside their field sometimes think they know
more then they do :) I have a wonderful book by an English professor
writing about WW I military history that says everything we've been
taught is wrong and sounds perfectly reasonable... unless you actually
know about the subject :)

It is loading more messages.