[OT] ATTN: Ethan and Houston Area, safe?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 6:50:46 PM9/12/08
I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
(Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
would be a good time to hear from ya.

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Aje RavenStar

Sep 12, 2008, 9:09:37 PM9/12/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
> (Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
> hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
> would be a good time to hear from ya.

We're still doing fine here on the southwest side of town. Galveston and
surrounding areas started flooding early this morning, long before any wind
and rain, just from the storm pushing the Gulf forward as it approached.
Winds started a few hours ago, 40 to 50 mph gusts here so far (we're 40-50
miles from the coast or thereabouts). There's a report from one of the
local television stations that the Clear Lake Hilton (NASA area) has had a
large hole blown into its front side. Ike looks like it will closely follow
Interstate 45 straight north, so it's a direct hit or pretty close. I
expect we'll be having power outages tomorrow, but our building is solid and
didn't flood even under Allison seven years ago, so no worries even if you
don't hear from us for a few days. There has been one fatality related to
storm, a 10 year old boy killed by a falling dead tree his father was trying
to get cleared off before the winds sometime this morning. Several places
on Galveston have burned, including a boat facility with an unknown number
of boats, as the roads have been impassable. Nothing more yet. Ya'll take
care, see you soon.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 14, 2008, 1:05:10 PM9/14/08

Looks like Ike hit Houston as hard as predicted; no Rita-like
deviation to the north, this one was direct. Obviously you guys won't
be able to reply for weeks, hopefully days, but the call stands: Aje
RavenStar, Ethan Hammnond, anybody else in the Houston/Sugarland area,
it'd be good to hear you're alright . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Rob Kelk

Sep 14, 2008, 6:56:18 PM9/14/08
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:05:10 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Looks like Ike hit Houston as hard as predicted; no Rita-like
>deviation to the north, this one was direct. Obviously you guys won't
>be able to reply for weeks, hopefully days, but the call stands: Aje
>RavenStar, Ethan Hammnond, anybody else in the Houston/Sugarland area,
>it'd be good to hear you're alright . . .

Apparently, the city as a whole pulled through, but power is spotty to
nonexistant if you don't have a working generator.

Here's a shot of downtown Houston:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/fred_6253/2854777279_2932ec6265_b.jpg

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

RLP

Sep 14, 2008, 11:16:09 PM9/14/08
Houston's a disaster on a good day, at least traffic wise.
Hope I don't have to go down there next week.

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.

The Relic

Sep 14, 2008, 11:38:06 PM9/14/08

Up here in Ohio of all places we just got some of Ike's
leavin's. According to 10tv's website some 375,000
people lost power, and I was out and about earlier today;
lot of trees and powerlines down, and while our street
has power going to the houses, the streetlights are out,
and sane people don't go out on these streets if there's
no light, if you know what I mean...

If we got this as Ike's leavin's, I shudder to think
what's going on down there (CNN's website showed
floating caskets). I pray for those affected.

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 15, 2008, 10:03:30 AM9/15/08
The Relic <reli...@ameritech.net> wa:

>Up here in Ohio of all places we just got some of Ike's
>leavin's. According to 10tv's website some 375,000
>people lost power, and I was out and about earlier today;
>lot of trees and powerlines down, and while our street
>has power going to the houses, the streetlights are out,
>and sane people don't go out on these streets if there's
>no light, if you know what I mean...

Strangely, down here in Atlanta, we had a run on the gas station. Again.
After it was clear from during Katrina (which was an even bigger mess)
that we didn't have any kind of gas shortage. Sigh. I really hate the
people who live near me; they never learn (same idiots who buy the
grocery store out of bread/milk when the forecasters make any kind of
peep about snow *eyeroll*).

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

The Relic

Sep 15, 2008, 4:58:04 PM9/15/08
Aya the Vampire Slayer wrote:
> The Relic <reli...@ameritech.net> wa:
>> Up here in Ohio of all places we just got some of Ike's
>> leavin's. According to 10tv's website some 375,000
>> people lost power, and I was out and about earlier today;
>> lot of trees and powerlines down, and while our street
>> has power going to the houses, the streetlights are out,
>> and sane people don't go out on these streets if there's
>> no light, if you know what I mean...
>
> Strangely, down here in Atlanta, we had a run on the gas station. Again.
> After it was clear from during Katrina (which was an even bigger mess)
> that we didn't have any kind of gas shortage. Sigh. I really hate the
> people who live near me; they never learn (same idiots who buy the
> grocery store out of bread/milk when the forecasters make any kind of
> peep about snow *eyeroll*).

Now that it's light out, they seem to be surveying the damage
done. Lot of people still without power (I rode to a couple
of stores earlier and saw a lot of people using portable
generators, and one, a local CVS, was open, but most of the
lights are out). Most of the area schools are closed, and will
be closed tomorrow as well. People are going after basics right
now (two places are totally out of ice). Surprisingly, the
local gas station is still at the price it was late last
week (3.99 gal), but most of the people there are getting
basics...and beer ^_^.

Sad to say, too many people live in the state of Fear
so much these days that they can't think rationally to
save their lives. Guess that's true virtually everywhere,
except for the places that don't have TV or the 'net.

Derek Janssen

Sep 15, 2008, 9:07:42 PM9/15/08
The Relic wrote:

> Now that it's light out, they seem to be surveying the damage
> done. Lot of people still without power (I rode to a couple
> of stores earlier and saw a lot of people using portable
> generators, and one, a local CVS, was open, but most of the
> lights are out). Most of the area schools are closed, and will
> be closed tomorrow as well. People are going after basics right
> now (two places are totally out of ice). Surprisingly, the
> local gas station is still at the price it was late last
> week (3.99 gal), but most of the people there are getting
> basics...and beer ^_^.

And for those who follow such things:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-14/adv-films-waits-out-hurricane-ike

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Sep 15, 2008, 9:38:12 PM9/15/08
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:07:42 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

<snip>

It appears they've never heard of remote fail-over web servers... <sigh>

Glenn Shaw

Sep 15, 2008, 9:40:22 PM9/15/08
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:38:12 +0000, Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:07:42 GMT, Derek Janssen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>And for those who follow such things:
>>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-14/adv-films-waits-out-
hurricane-ike

> It appears they've never heard of remote fail-over web servers... <sigh>

Either that, or they decided that they couldn't afford them....

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, swap the net and cast

Mike Swaim

Sep 16, 2008, 12:16:57 AM9/16/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
> (Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
> hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
> would be a good time to hear from ya.

We got power back on Sunday (in Katy, N/W of Houston). About 1/2 of our
friends in Houston have gotten power back. Drinking water is also a big
concern, since apparently the tap water in Houston's contaminated.

--
Sigless

Message has been deleted

RLP

Sep 16, 2008, 8:30:40 PM9/16/08
On 16 Sep 2008 04:16:57 GMT, "Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org>
wrote:

People drink water?? The things you learn on usenet.;->
We got our Houston branch's phones rerouted to Dallas and everyone's
OK. (Except for one house with piece of a tree on it.) No power at the
office so I don't have to worry about their computers yet.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 16, 2008, 10:12:08 PM9/16/08
RLP wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2008 04:16:57 GMT, "Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>>> I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
>>> (Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
>>> hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
>>> would be a good time to hear from ya.
>> We got power back on Sunday (in Katy, N/W of Houston). About 1/2 of our
>> friends in Houston have gotten power back. Drinking water is also a big
>> concern, since apparently the tap water in Houston's contaminated.
>
> People drink water?? The things you learn on usenet.;->

Pretty much the only thing I DO drink.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

The Relic

Sep 17, 2008, 3:34:49 PM9/17/08

Oh the irony. After I wrote this and the followups, about
4.30 in the AM Tuesday, the electric in a several block
area, including ours, went off. It stayed off for about
a half-hour, then blinked on, then stayed on again for
about 2-3 hours before going off again about 8.30AM and
stayed off until a couple of hours ago.

As of about 12PM today, there are still some 350,000
customers of AEP without power in the area (better than the
nearly 2 million as of Sunday night). with all affected
projected to have their power back on Sunday.

We got off pretty light. We had candles and flashlights
as well as radios ready just in case, and we found a dollar
store that was still operating that sold ice and extra
batteries and bread. I bought 6 bags of ice and put three
in the main freezer and three in the refrigerator freezer.
I kept the frozen food in the freezer packed solid and
the perishables that wasn't frozen with the fridge freezer
to keep it cold. Didn't lose anything, and I was able to
keep up with the news with one of the shortwaves and a
radio that gets local TV.

So compared to many others in the area, we got off pretty
light. Still keeping an eye out just in case it blinks again.

And more interesting to me? CNN's website on Monday
night reported that damage from high winds associated
with Ike extended as far north as Kentucky. Nary
a mention of the 6 lives lost in Ohio or the 2 million
without power...

The Relic

Sep 17, 2008, 3:36:26 PM9/17/08

"I want something to DRINK, not something to WASH IN!!!"
-Ahz, from MythAdventures ^_^

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 4:02:43 PM9/17/08

That's Aahz, and I should've known you'd be quoting a Pervert.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 17, 2008, 4:04:07 PM9/17/08
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> The Relic wrote:
>> "I want something to DRINK, not something to WASH IN!!!"
>> -Ahz, from MythAdventures ^_^
>
> That's Aahz, and I should've known you'd be quoting a Pervert.

PerVECT. And I'm with him.

cu
59-thirsty, not dirty-cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Dave Watson

Sep 17, 2008, 4:09:11 PM9/17/08
On Sep 17, 3:36 pm, The Relic <relic1...@ameritech.net> wrote:
> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
>

> > RLP wrote:

> >> People drink water?? The things you learn on usenet.;->
>
> >     Pretty much the only thing I DO drink.
>
> "I want something to DRINK, not something to WASH IN!!!"
> -Ahz, from MythAdventures ^_^- Hide quoted text -

My (beer-loving) brother has his own variation on that: "I said I'm
thirsty, not dirty!"

Watson

The Relic

Sep 17, 2008, 5:12:58 PM9/17/08

Aahh...z. And that's PerVECT ^_^.

sanjian

Sep 17, 2008, 5:31:48 PM9/17/08

Damn pervects.

Now I've got to go out and re-read the series.

sanjian

Sep 17, 2008, 5:33:03 PM9/17/08

That still doesn't excuse drinking beer. The only thing you can do with
that is pump it back up into the horse it came out of.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 7:06:35 PM9/17/08

"It's PerVERT until I see the color of your money!"

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 7:07:20 PM9/17/08

Indeed. Though that pretty much goes for all alcoholic beverages,
substituting "septic tank" for "horse".

Blade

Sep 17, 2008, 8:39:55 PM9/17/08

"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

Which is pretty funny, considering where your preferred drink tends to comes
from. ;p

-
Blade
(Agrees with Sanjian about beer. Except Guinness, which is surprisingly
okay. G&T is my drink of choice, though.)

Captain Nerd

Sep 17, 2008, 8:43:13 PM9/17/08
In article <LOqdnQE_iIfZ6kzV...@posted.internetamerica>,
"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

And hoist a cold one in Asprin's memory...

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 9:11:44 PM9/17/08
Blade wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> sanjian wrote:
>>> That still doesn't excuse drinking beer. The only thing you can do with
>>> that is pump it back up into the horse it came out of.
>> Indeed. Though that pretty much goes for all alcoholic beverages,
>> substituting "septic tank" for "horse".
>
> Which is pretty funny, considering where your preferred drink tends to comes
> from. ;p

The water processing plant, which REMOVES all the organic crap from the
water, yes.

The Relic

Sep 17, 2008, 11:23:17 PM9/17/08
Blade wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> sanjian wrote:
>>> That still doesn't excuse drinking beer. The only thing you can do with
>>> that is pump it back up into the horse it came out of.
>> Indeed. Though that pretty much goes for all alcoholic beverages,
>> substituting "septic tank" for "horse".
>
> Which is pretty funny, considering where your preferred drink tends to comes
> from. ;p

When I was young, some of the best water I ever tasted came from a
ground-level well on my grandfather's property around
Louisa, Ky. Purified by the sulfur-laden coal in the ground ^_^.
(He actually lived in a log cabin that had been in the family since
the late 1700s-early 1800s and as of the time of his death (1975)
had no electric power and the nearest store was a mile down the road).
Good times, good times...

Dave Watson

Sep 18, 2008, 1:54:24 AM9/18/08

I used to like the stuff myself once upon a time...until the one time
I got paralytically drunk on it. Haven't enjoyed it since. Then I
did the same thing with rye, and quit getting that drunk. I'm this
close to totally giving up booze, though, since I now get alcohol
flushes which include an annoying prickly feeling on the back of my
neck. Well, it's pretty easy to quit when you just plain drink very
little to begin with. Now, if I ever get anything like that related
to caffeine consumption, THEN I'm gonna have problems.

Watson.

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 7:08:49 AM9/18/08

I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I don't
immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.

As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.

Blade

Sep 18, 2008, 7:57:28 AM9/18/08

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

>>> Indeed. Though that pretty much goes for all alcoholic beverages,
>>> substituting "septic tank" for "horse".
>>
>> Which is pretty funny, considering where your preferred drink tends
>> to comes from. ;p
>>
>> -
>> Blade
>> (Agrees with Sanjian about beer. Except Guinness, which is
>> surprisingly okay. G&T is my drink of choice, though.)
>
> I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I don't
> immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.

It probably depends what you don't like about it. I don't like beer because
it has a horrid aftertaste (and a horrid anything-taste if it's not
extremely cold). Guinness has a stronger, maltier flavour that I rather like
(although it too benefits from being very cold) and doesn't give me any
aftertaste. I make no guarantees, but if you're in a situation where you
feel obliged to drink beer, hey, it can't hurt. ;p

> As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.

Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?

-
Blade
(And back on topic, I also hope Ethan's okay and any other posters in the
affected areas.)

Rob Kelk

Sep 18, 2008, 9:00:47 AM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:57:28 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

<snip>

>> As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.
>
>Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?

That's the usual meaning, in this context.

(I prefer Appleton Estates to Captain Morgan, myself, but I can afford
it. Sanjian's still in college...)

>-
>Blade
>(And back on topic, I also hope Ethan's okay and any other posters in the
>affected areas.)

Likewise. I understand power reconnection is going slowly, though, so
it may be a while before we hear from anyone we haven't heard from
already.

Message has been deleted

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 18, 2008, 1:18:34 PM9/18/08
sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wa:

>I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I don't
>immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.

You may want to try a Hefeweizen (Paulaner is a good brand) and if you
don't mind fruity, Lambic is always good (I like the peach, the S.O.
likes the raspberry. the black currant and apple are also good, if you
can find them).

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/lindemans_peche.html

I don't generally like bier much but I don't mind the above. My
preferred drink is Tequila + [Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper] (whatever
caffeinated soda).

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 4:14:35 PM9/18/08
Blade wrote:
> "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

>> I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I

>> don't immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.
>
> It probably depends what you don't like about it. I don't like beer
> because it has a horrid aftertaste (and a horrid anything-taste if
> it's not extremely cold). Guinness has a stronger, maltier flavour
> that I rather like (although it too benefits from being very cold)
> and doesn't give me any aftertaste. I make no guarantees, but if
> you're in a situation where you feel obliged to drink beer, hey, it
> can't hurt. ;p

It would be that horrid anythingtaste that gets me. Maybe it's just that
I've only tried Amurkian b33r. But I'll give it a try and see if it doesn't
kill me.

>> As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.
>
> Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?

Yep. Can't stand Baccardi, but the Cap'n and I are good friends.

> -
> Blade
> (And back on topic, I also hope Ethan's okay and any other posters in
> the affected areas.)

I'm sure he's shaking his fists at the electric company, even as we speak
(er, write).

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 4:15:36 PM9/18/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:57:28 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>>> As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.
>>
>> Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?
>
> That's the usual meaning, in this context.
>
> (I prefer Appleton Estates to Captain Morgan, myself, but I can afford
> it. Sanjian's still in college...)

Actually, as of the 4th of this month, I am now both a college student and a
once-again squid, whose sole job is to... go to college.

But at least I'm getting paid for it now.

Yes, that means the Aria box set is a MUSTGET.

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 4:16:45 PM9/18/08
Justin wrote:
> Sounds like you need to try something not made by Bud or Miller or
> Heineken.

Ok, then what should I try?

Knowing you've got a guy who can't stand all the beer he's tried, what one
beer would you recommend to try to overcome my distaste for what has, up
'till now, been shown to be carbonated ass piss?

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 4:17:43 PM9/18/08
Aya the Vampire Slayer wrote:
> sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wa:
>> I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I
>> don't immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.
>
> You may want to try a Hefeweizen (Paulaner is a good brand) and if you
> don't mind fruity, Lambic is always good (I like the peach, the S.O.
> likes the raspberry. the black currant and apple are also good, if you
> can find them).
>
> http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/lindemans_peche.html
>
> I don't generally like bier much but I don't mind the above. My
> preferred drink is Tequila + [Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper] (whatever
> caffeinated soda).

I'll give them a try. Something's got to work.

Blade

Sep 18, 2008, 4:38:57 PM9/18/08

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

And hey, as long as we're suggesting... gin and tonic. Try about a 1/3 gin
to 2/3 tonic ratio (one can of tonic water should be good for two
decent-sized glasses) and a squeeze of lime or lemon. Astonishingly
refreshing, neither too sweet, too bitter, or too piney.

Some increase the gin ratio, but for people who don't love straight liquor,
I think that's a good one.

-
Chris
(Hey, if you're ever in Ottawa, I'll fix you one and we can talk about
probably something other than politics. ;p)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 18, 2008, 7:07:10 PM9/18/08

No, it doesn't. I've tried beers from around the world, recommended by
aficionados and drunks. They all suck.

Then again, you apparently DO have some alcoholic beverages you'll
drink, which I won't -- I've tried dozens of those, they all taste the
same. So it may be there IS a beer you'll drink. But maybe not.

Rob Kelk

Sep 18, 2008, 7:01:35 PM9/18/08

Oh, excellent!

>Yes, that means the Aria box set is a MUSTGET.

I really should get a copy of that too. It has a meganekko in it,
right?

(Silly question. Nowadays, *every* anime has at least one meganekko in
it.)

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 8:15:26 PM9/18/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:15:36 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>> But at least I'm getting paid for it now.
>
> Oh, excellent!
>
>> Yes, that means the Aria box set is a MUSTGET.
>
> I really should get a copy of that too. It has a meganekko in it,
> right?

Barely. One of the singles who drive the Traghetto is a meganekko. Oddly
enough, you can occasionally see Alicia-sama with a bewitching pair of
spectacles, and it almost pulls me over from the Athena camp.

Dave Watson

Sep 18, 2008, 8:32:24 PM9/18/08
On Sep 18, 7:07 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>         No, it doesn't. I've tried beers from around the world, recommended by
> aficionados and drunks. They all suck.
>
>         Then again, you apparently DO have some alcoholic beverages you'll
> drink, which I won't -- I've tried dozens of those, they all taste the
> same. So it may be there IS a beer you'll drink. But maybe not.

Matter of taste. I was at a friend's place yesterday getting some
anime CD artwork scanned. He laid some cheesy dance music on me. It
bored me. I laid some Merzbow on his that I hadn't had the chance to
check out yet. Three seconds of high-pitched tones and he shut the
player off tout de suite. I think that's a new record.

Watson
Who did turn him on to Severed Heads' classic "Halo" (http://
sevcom.com/album_selector/item-stretcher.html).

Message has been deleted

Galen

Sep 18, 2008, 10:15:22 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:15:36 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

But you only get the postcards if you pre-order from RightStuf.

RLP

Sep 18, 2008, 10:33:48 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:15:36 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

Squids are for kids!

The only two things I've ever heard referred to as squids are sailors
and idiots on sport bikes. Having been both, which do you mean or is
there yet another possibility?

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 10:54:31 PM9/18/08

Eh. The past three years of being nearly fansub-only out of poverty have
driven me out of the need for extras. It doesn't bother me.

sanjian

Sep 18, 2008, 10:55:30 PM9/18/08
RLP wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:15:36 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>> Actually, as of the 4th of this month, I am now both a college
>> student and a once-again squid, whose sole job is to... go to
>> college.
>>
>> But at least I'm getting paid for it now.
>>
>> Yes, that means the Aria box set is a MUSTGET.
>
> Squids are for kids!
>
> The only two things I've ever heard referred to as squids are sailors
> and idiots on sport bikes. Having been both, which do you mean or is
> there yet another possibility?

Let me put it this way, my only vehicle is a pick-em-up.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 2:12:10 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:14:35 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>Blade wrote:
>> "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message
>
>>> I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I
>>> don't immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.
>>
>> It probably depends what you don't like about it. I don't like beer
>> because it has a horrid aftertaste (and a horrid anything-taste if
>> it's not extremely cold). Guinness has a stronger, maltier flavour
>> that I rather like (although it too benefits from being very cold)
>> and doesn't give me any aftertaste. I make no guarantees, but if
>> you're in a situation where you feel obliged to drink beer, hey, it
>> can't hurt. ;p
>
>It would be that horrid anythingtaste that gets me. Maybe it's just that
>I've only tried Amurkian b33r. But I'll give it a try and see if it doesn't
>kill me.
>
>>> As it is, I'm thinking I'll end up sticking with Cap 'n Coke.
>>
>> Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?
>
>Yep. Can't stand Baccardi, but the Cap'n and I are good friends.

Call it residual Peruvian pride, but the only cocktail I'll readily
drink is a pisco sour; looks fluffy, starts sweet, eventually hits
like a sledge hammer . . .

>> -
>> Blade
>> (And back on topic, I also hope Ethan's okay and any other posters in
>> the affected areas.)
>
>I'm sure he's shaking his fists at the electric company, even as we speak
>(er, write).

Here's hopin' . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 2:17:04 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:38:57 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

As I said elsewhere, pisco sour . . .:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisco_sour>

<http://thespiritworld.net/2006/06/19/pisco_sour/>

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 2:21:28 AM9/19/08

From what I hear, Sam Adams is closer to real beer than the mass
produced stuff; apparently, you have to go to Europe (especially
Germany) for the really good stuff . . .

Consider it like this:

Sam Adams to Budweiser as restaruant ramen is to Top Ramen.

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 19, 2008, 2:50:28 AM9/19/08
Aya the Vampire Slayer <ry...@gatech.rmv.this.part.edu> wrote:

> sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wa:
>>I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I
>>don't immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.
>
> You may want to try a Hefeweizen (Paulaner is a good brand) and if you
> don't mind fruity, Lambic is always good (I like the peach, the S.O.
> likes the raspberry. the black currant and apple are also good, if you
> can find them).

I once drank a Krieklambiek, I hated it :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriek

Hefeweizen sounds German, and a quick google tells me it is. I like German
beer, but nothing beats a Heineken Ice Cold after a hot day.

--
Gio

http://blog.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 19, 2008, 7:22:41 AM9/19/08

And there's a LOT more things called squids.

Superconducting Quantum Interference Device (SQUID), a very sensitive
class of magnetic field sensors

A remote-controlled device used in the assembly of some generators
(used at General Electric in Schenectady)

Squid is also a derogatory term used for motorcyclists by other
motorcyclists (as well as sport bikers), with "backronyms" like
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant, and Dangerous" describing the
behavior of people called squids.

Squid was also the name of a three-barrelled mortar-based
anti-submarine system in WWII.

SQuID is an internet-protocol "Introduced Delay"

And Squid is a web proxy server as well.

(some of these I knew, some I didn't).

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 19, 2008, 8:46:48 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:16:45 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

Homebrew. :-) But that also means finding someone who makes it.

Alternately, see if you can locate a local microbrewery.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Galen

Sep 19, 2008, 10:09:15 AM9/19/08

There is supposed to be a beer festival in Atlanta
this October if you want to sample lots of "local"
beers.

-Galen

Galen

Sep 19, 2008, 10:13:40 AM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:22:41 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>sanjian wrote:
>> RLP wrote:

Now that you mention it, it's surprising more
anime fans don't become tentacle beasts.

-Galen

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 19, 2008, 10:21:08 AM9/19/08
Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> wa:

>Aya the Vampire Slayer <ry...@gatech.rmv.this.part.edu> wrote:
>> sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wa:
>>>I'll have to give Guinness a try and see if there's ANY beer that I
>>>don't immediately flush down the sink and into Sea Wasp's supply.
>>
>> You may want to try a Hefeweizen (Paulaner is a good brand) and if you
>> don't mind fruity, Lambic is always good (I like the peach, the S.O.
>> likes the raspberry. the black currant and apple are also good, if you
>> can find them).

>I once drank a Krieklambiek, I hated it :)
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriek

Haha, yeah, that's the cherry flavored which I don't much like.
Actually, I don't know anyone who likes the cherry-flavored. The peach
is pretty sweet (which I like), the raspberry has some tartness to it
(which others seem to prefer). The black currant seems to have a good
balance of both, but is pretty hard to find (around here at least),
especially in the large size.

>Hefeweizen sounds German, and a quick google tells me it is. I like German
>beer, but nothing beats a Heineken Ice Cold after a hot day.

After a hot day, I hit the ice cold water. After a rough day, better
gimme some tequila. :)

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 19, 2008, 10:26:42 AM9/19/08
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wa:

We've been doing this recently. Honestly, not beer snobs! Cooking the
stuff at the beginning makes the house smell like pasta. Is also not too
hard, but is much easier with two people, especially when it comes time
for bottling.

>There is supposed to be a beer festival in Atlanta
>this October if you want to sample lots of "local"
>beers.

Really? Links!

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 19, 2008, 10:33:50 AM9/19/08
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wa:

Grad student?
Oh, and congrats on your win. *hangs head in shame*

<snip>

> And there's a LOT more things called squids.

> Squid was also the name of a three-barrelled mortar-based
>anti-submarine system in WWII.

I'll guess this one. I can visualize it quite well, although it seems to
be turning out (in my head, at least) somewhat like Guu. Or perhaps,
Bonta-kun. :o

Man, I need to finish that last disc of Kyou Kara Maou so that I can
yammer about it. But the TV has been occupied as of recently with Force
Unleashed.

sanjian

Sep 19, 2008, 1:45:20 PM9/19/08

Too few nubile virgins. Unless you're willing to become a yaoi tentacle
monster.

sanjian

Sep 19, 2008, 1:47:42 PM9/19/08
Aya the Vampire Slayer wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wa:
>
> Grad student?

Still undergrad. Had to add a spare year to account for a sudden double
major.

> Oh, and congrats on your win. *hangs head in shame*

Thank you. Hell of a game, though. I do hope y'all win the rest of your
games. Of course, mainly because it makes us look better.

sanjian

Sep 19, 2008, 1:49:10 PM9/19/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

>>> Cap? As in Morgan, I guess?
>>
>> Yep. Can't stand Baccardi, but the Cap'n and I are good friends.
>>

> Call it residual Peruvian pride, but the only cocktail I'll readily

I don't really consider Cap 'n Coke to be a cocktail. Of course, that amy
be because I consider rum to be half a drink.

> drink is a pisco sour; looks fluffy, starts sweet, eventually hits
> like a sledge hammer . . .

This is starting to become rec.arts.alcoholic.otaku.

sanjian

Sep 19, 2008, 1:50:03 PM9/19/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:16:45 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>> Knowing you've got a guy who can't stand all the beer he's tried,
>> what one beer would you recommend to try to overcome my distaste for
>> what has, up 'till now, been shown to be carbonated ass piss?
>

> From what I hear, Sam Adams is closer to real beer than the mass
> produced stuff; apparently, you have to go to Europe (especially
> Germany) for the really good stuff . . .
>
> Consider it like this:
>
> Sam Adams to Budweiser as restaruant ramen is to Top Ramen.

The problem is, I don't want ramen. I want Mongolian BBQ. (or would that
be akin to a microbrew?)

Martin D. Pay

Sep 19, 2008, 2:31:45 PM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:21:28 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> mangled uncounted electrons thus:

No, come to England, to one of our Real Ale festivals (as
organised by CAMRA - the Campaign for Real Ale). You'll never
look at mass-produced beers, lagers et.al. the same way again!

Martin D. Pay
Who prefers cider, actually... (that's what I understand you call
'hard cider' on your side of the Pond ^_^ )

Galen

Sep 19, 2008, 5:11:24 PM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:26:42 +0000 (UTC), Aya the Vampire Slayer
<ry...@gatech.rmv.this.part.edu> wrote:

>>There is supposed to be a beer festival in Atlanta
>>this October if you want to sample lots of "local"
>>beers.
>
>Really? Links!

http://www.xorbia.com/tickets/hotoberfest/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 5:28:18 PM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:49:10 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

>>> Yep. Can't stand Baccardi, but the Cap'n and I are good friends.
>>>

>> Call it residual Peruvian pride, but the only cocktail I'll readily
>
>I don't really consider Cap 'n Coke to be a cocktail. Of course, that amy
>be because I consider rum to be half a drink.

By definition, any mixed alcoholic drink is a cocktail; so, there
you go . . .

>> drink is a pisco sour; looks fluffy, starts sweet, eventually hits
>> like a sledge hammer . . .
>
>This is starting to become rec.arts.alcoholic.otaku.

Hey, pisco sours are hard to come by; and I only drink otherwise at
social events (only if I really want to, to boot), which are nearly
non-existant to me anyway . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 5:29:06 PM9/19/08

Well then, consider Sam Adams a gateway to microbrews . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 19, 2008, 5:44:33 PM9/19/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> By definition, any mixed alcoholic drink is a cocktail; so, there
> you go . . .

Uhhh... no.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 20, 2008, 2:30:09 AM9/20/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:44:33 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>> By definition, any mixed alcoholic drink is a cocktail; so, there
>> you go . . .
>
>Uhhh... no.

Really? From M-W:

Main Entry:
1cock·tail Listen to the pronunciation of 1cocktail
Pronunciation:
\?käk-?ta-l\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
probably from 1cock + tail
Date:
1806
1 a: an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring
ingredients b: something resembling or suggesting such a drink as
being a mixture of often diverse elements or ingredients <a cocktail
of remembered incidents and pure imagination — Charlotte Low> <a
cocktail of herbicides> c: a mixture of agents usually in solution
that is taken or used together especially for medical treatment or
diagnosis

(specifically 1b)

From Wikipedia (for what it's worth, under "Mixed Drink":

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_drink>

Cocktail, narrowly a mixture of liquor, sugar, water, and bitters;
more broadly any sort of alcoholic mixed drink

Admitedly, the definition of cocktail is rather varied (hell,
"chemical cocktail" is fairly common), but it tends to narrow down to
mixed alcoholic drinks, sometimes a specific type of mixed alcoholic
drink . . .

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 20, 2008, 6:32:40 AM9/20/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:44:33 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> By definition, any mixed alcoholic drink is a cocktail; so, there
>>> you go . . .
>>
>> Uhhh... no.
>
> Really? From M-W:
[...]

> Admitedly, the definition of cocktail is rather varied (hell,
> "chemical cocktail" is fairly common), but it tends to narrow down to
> mixed alcoholic drinks, sometimes a specific type of mixed alcoholic
> drink . . .

Even punch or Russian Chocolate? IBTD.

Yes, you certainly can fit anything into a particular term if you
broaden the term enough. In the "blue is just another shade of yellow"
sense of "broaden".

RLP

Sep 20, 2008, 9:28:37 AM9/20/08

That simplifies it. And no, we didn't have to lower the sails during
air ops on the carriers when I was in..

sanjian

Sep 20, 2008, 9:46:38 AM9/20/08
RLP wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:55:30 -0400, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> RLP wrote:

>>> Squids are for kids!
>>>
>>> The only two things I've ever heard referred to as squids are
>>> sailors and idiots on sport bikes. Having been both, which do you
>>> mean or is there yet another possibility?
>>
>> Let me put it this way, my only vehicle is a pick-em-up.
>
> That simplifies it. And no, we didn't have to lower the sails during
> air ops on the carriers when I was in..

Sails? What do submariness have to do with anything?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 20, 2008, 3:56:42 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:32:40 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Uhhh... no.
>>
>> Really? From M-W:
>[...]
>> Admitedly, the definition of cocktail is rather varied (hell,
>> "chemical cocktail" is fairly common), but it tends to narrow down to
>> mixed alcoholic drinks, sometimes a specific type of mixed alcoholic
>> drink . . .
>
>Even punch or Russian Chocolate? IBTD.
>
>Yes, you certainly can fit anything into a particular term if you
>broaden the term enough. In the "blue is just another shade of yellow"
>sense of "broaden".

Ok then, what do *you* call a cocktail?

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 20, 2008, 5:02:04 PM9/20/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:32:40 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Admitedly, the definition of cocktail is rather varied (hell,
>>> "chemical cocktail" is fairly common), but it tends to narrow down to
>>> mixed alcoholic drinks, sometimes a specific type of mixed alcoholic
>>> drink . . .
>>
>> Even punch or Russian Chocolate? IBTD.
>>
>> Yes, you certainly can fit anything into a particular term if you
>> broaden the term enough. In the "blue is just another shade of yellow"
>> sense of "broaden".
>
> Ok then, what do *you* call a cocktail?

Mixed drinks with little umbrellas in them. Frankly, I do have trouble
with Irish Coffee or Jack-and-Coke being considered cocktails.

No, putting a little umbrella into a Russian Chocolate still doesn't
make it a cocktail. IMHO. YMMV. ;P

sanjian

Sep 20, 2008, 8:41:51 PM9/20/08
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:32:40 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even punch or Russian Chocolate? IBTD.
>>>
>>> Yes, you certainly can fit anything into a particular term if you
>>> broaden the term enough. In the "blue is just another shade of
>>> yellow" sense of "broaden".
>>
>> Ok then, what do *you* call a cocktail?
>
> Mixed drinks with little umbrellas in them. Frankly, I do have trouble
> with Irish Coffee or Jack-and-Coke being considered cocktails.
>
> No, putting a little umbrella into a Russian Chocolate still doesn't
> make it a cocktail. IMHO. YMMV. ;P

*imagines a Molotov Cocktail with an umbrella*

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 21, 2008, 10:51:47 AM9/21/08
sanjian <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> No, putting a little umbrella into a Russian Chocolate still doesn't
>> make it a cocktail. IMHO. YMMV. ;P
>
> *imagines a Molotov Cocktail with an umbrella*

The umbrella might be called "parachute" in that case.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 23, 2008, 7:47:29 PM9/23/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:57:30 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>Antonio E Gonzalez wrote on [Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:28:18 -0700]:

>>>I don't really consider Cap 'n Coke to be a cocktail. Of course, that amy
>>>be because I consider rum to be half a drink.
>>>

>> By definition, any mixed alcoholic drink is a cocktail; so, there
>> you go . . .
>

>Cocktail
>Any of various alcoholic beverages consisting usually of brandy,
>whiskey, vodka, or gin combined with fruit juices or other liquors and
>often served chilled.

That'd be your definition, then . . .

>Rum & Coke is a mixed drink

*sigh*

From M-W:

Date:
1806
1 a: an iced drink of wine or distilled liquor mixed with flavoring
ingredients b: something resembling or suggesting such a drink as
being a mixture of often diverse elements or ingredients <a cocktail
of remembered incidents and pure imagination — Charlotte Low> <a
cocktail of herbicides> c: a mixture of agents usually in solution
that is taken or used together especially for medical treatment or
diagnosis

From Wikipedia (for what it's worth, under "Mixed Drink"):

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_drink>

Cocktail, narrowly a mixture of liquor, sugar, water, and bitters;
more broadly any sort of alcoholic mixed drink

From 1a in M-W, or the wikipedia entry, Rum and Coke is a cocktail,
is a mixed drink; like a cougar, is a puma, is a mountain lion . . .

Message has been deleted

sanjian

Sep 24, 2008, 7:55:08 AM9/24/08
Justin wrote:

> Antonio E Gonzalez wrote on [Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:47:29 -0700]:

>>> Cocktail
>>> Any of various alcoholic beverages consisting usually of brandy,
>>> whiskey, vodka, or gin combined with fruit juices or other liquors
>>> and often served chilled.
>>>

>> That'd be your definition, then . . .
>

> Mine, and the OED and Macquarie dictionary I quoted it from.
>
> If you'll notice, rum is NOT on that list.

The list did not claim to be exclusive.

Aje RavenStar

Sep 24, 2008, 8:21:04 PM9/24/08

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:09:37 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
> <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
>>> (Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
>>> hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
>>> would be a good time to hear from ya.
>>>

>>We're still doing fine here on the southwest side of town. Galveston and
>>surrounding areas started flooding early this morning, long before any
>>wind
>>and rain, just from the storm pushing the Gulf forward as it approached.
>>Winds started a few hours ago, 40 to 50 mph gusts here so far (we're 40-50
>>miles from the coast or thereabouts). There's a report from one of the
>>local television stations that the Clear Lake Hilton (NASA area) has had a
>>large hole blown into its front side. Ike looks like it will closely
>>follow
>>Interstate 45 straight north, so it's a direct hit or pretty close. I
>>expect we'll be having power outages tomorrow, but our building is solid
>>and
>>didn't flood even under Allison seven years ago, so no worries even if you
>>don't hear from us for a few days. There has been one fatality related
>>storm, a 10 year old boy killed by a falling dead tree his father was
>>trying
>>to get cleared off before the winds sometime this morning. Several places
>>on Galveston have burned, including a boat facility with an unknown number
>>of boats, as the roads have been impassable. Nothing more yet. Ya'll
>>take
>>care, see you soon.
>>

> Looks like Ike hit Houston as hard as predicted; no Rita-like
> deviation to the north, this one was direct. Obviously you guys won't
> be able to reply for weeks, hopefully days, but the call stands: Aje
> RavenStar, Ethan Hammnond, anybody else in the Houston/Sugarland area,
> it'd be good to hear you're alright . . .

Tsk. All our efforts trying to teach you to be careful what you ask for
wasted...

Yep, I'm still here. I was without power just four days (but I did better
than the in-laws just across the main drag between us, one still waiting
last I heard), but the cable and internet didn't get restored until just
this afternoon. I've been spending most of the evening catching up on the
newsgroups (saved r.a.a.m. for last, turned out after the filtering it had
just under 500 messages to go through, yours about after Ike closest to the
top).

Cable actually went out first, 25 minutes before the power at 9:35 Friday
evening. Winds started getting very strong an hour later, but there wasn't
that much rain compared to Tropical Storm Allison which did flood this town
seven years ago. I really haven't had a chance to go to news websites yet
and catch up what actually happened during the storm and first few days, but
it's on the list. The death toll from everything I've heard seems to be
thankfully low (all losses are grievious and I'm not belittling them, just
being grateful it wasn't worse like it has been for some other similar
storms), but there are still a good list of missing down on the coast
especially north of Galveston proper.

While waiting for the cable to return, I was able (between a few minor
attempts to help limb clean up here and there quickly ended by the stupid
uncooperative back and a sharp-eyed wife who only has my best interests in
mind) to get a page ready with pictures I mostly made after the winds had
died down to only 30 allowing a walk about of the immediate area, others
from later that afternoon while we ran down the road to check on in-laws
since cell and land phone service was iffy for the first few days.
http://home.comcast.net/~safaje/Ike/Ike.html

I did manage to get a small bit of my pending stack of dvd's watched - Noir
d. 1, King of Bandits Jing d. 1, I'm Going To Be An Angel d. 3, and Solty
Rei d. 1 - while waiting on internet access.

I also managed to pick up a copy of the October edition of Otaku USA with
dvd featuring Aria: the Animation Ep. 01 at Krogers once it was back open
(hey, there was no food worth having). Subtitled only. Watched it, was
enchanted, but a bit disappointed. The manga is sharply drawn and detailed,
wonderfully colored when it is - the anime looks like one of those old films
where the lead female insisted on being filmed through gauze for a softer
look. The style is just too washed out compared to the source for my
tastes. I'm sort of tempted to wait and see if there's a remake, or for a
live action version. But plenty of time to ponder that as I begin a new job
this coming Monday and start building up the war chest for the must have
list again...

Did anyone hear from Ethan? (ah, it's good to be home!)

Aje RavenStar

Sep 24, 2008, 8:33:56 PM9/24/08

"Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> I joked in a previous recent post about the status of Ethan
>> (Hammond), but it seems Hurricane Ike is set to hit Houston pretty
>> hard. So to Ethan: if you still follow the goings on here, this
>> would be a good time to hear from ya.
>
> We got power back on Sunday (in Katy, N/W of Houston). About 1/2 of our
> friends in Houston have gotten power back. Drinking water is also a big
> concern, since apparently the tap water in Houston's contaminated.

The water in Houston was never contaminated. There was concerned for a bit
because one of the major pump stations went down, lowering the pressure in
all the lines and making it possible for non-treated water to sneak into the
system; but the pump was restored within 24 hours according to the news on
the radio. Then the pressure had to come back up, so a 'boil the water'
advisory was put in place for a few days until the water could be tested per
state and federal requirements at all the substations - but the water was
also cleared for purposes such as toilets and washing (cooling off until
power was back!)

This is the second message since I got back, and I left out something major
in the first one.

THANK YOU, CANADA!

We appreciate you sending some folks down here to help with the electric and
tree clean up stuff; but even more than that, thank you for sending the
first cool front down a month and a half early. There's no telling how many
people were saved by lows in the mid to upper 50's, and no humidity, once
that front pushed in on the 3rd day after and kicked out the 90/90 temp and
humidity situation; but all of us benefitted. We owe you big time for this
one.

Aje RavenStar

Sep 24, 2008, 8:37:41 PM9/24/08

> The Relic wrote:
>> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

>>> Pretty much the only thing I DO drink.
>>>

>> "I want something to DRINK, not something to WASH IN!!!"
>> -Ahz, from MythAdventures ^_^
>
> That's Aahz, and I should've known you'd be quoting a Pervert.

No relation (can't forget that disclaimer!). And it's Pervect.

Rob Kelk

Sep 24, 2008, 8:48:36 PM9/24/08
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:33:56 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

>This is the second message since I got back, and I left out something major
>in the first one.
>
>THANK YOU, CANADA!
>
>We appreciate you sending some folks down here to help with the electric and
>tree clean up stuff; but even more than that, thank you for sending the
>first cool front down a month and a half early. There's no telling how many
>people were saved by lows in the mid to upper 50's, and no humidity, once
>that front pushed in on the 3rd day after and kicked out the 90/90 temp and
>humidity situation; but all of us benefitted. We owe you big time for this
>one.

Hey, you helped us out during the Great Ice Storm a few years ago,
sending us a much-needed warm front (and some electricity linesmen too,
IIRC). We're just returning the favour.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 24, 2008, 9:04:42 PM9/24/08

That depends on who's talking to him, and whether he's paid them yet or
not.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Abraham Evangelista

Sep 24, 2008, 11:41:17 PM9/24/08
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:21:04 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

>Did anyone hear from Ethan? (ah, it's good to be home!)

Buji de yokatta... Glad to hear you're alive and well, and congrats
on the job!
--
Abraham Evangelista