Otakon 2008

Kiiro

Jul 11, 2008, 6:16:35 PM7/11/08
Otakon is coming up in less than 30 days. Anyone here going beside me?

http://www.otakon.com/
August 8th - 10th, 2008
Baltimore Convention Center

Kiiro

Farix

Jul 11, 2008, 8:05:42 PM7/11/08

While it is relatively "close" as far as the big cons go. I'm saving my
money for that new car I was aiming to buy last year but had no credit
record to speak of.

Farix

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 12, 2008, 4:19:19 AM7/12/08
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 8:05pm-0400, Farix <dhstr...@hotmail.com>:

We might or might not. We never decide until a week before.
We're spontaneous that way (despite 5-hr drive's away). ^_^
(Even that time when the pre-reg mail:to was a mere block away,
we could've literally walked in with our papers.)

At least TerAnce can finally say he's gone to his backyard.

I don't do much in cons no more. Pay my $60, walk around and relax. ^_^
(And eat good food by the harbor and waste my vacation away....)

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Dave Bieksza

Jul 13, 2008, 5:47:23 PM7/13/08

Yes, though to save money I'll be staying at some fleabag motel out in
the country and commuting via light rail.
------------------------

David S. Bieksza
bie...@noUCEerols.com.invalid

Replies to the group are preferable to an e-mail
reply -- my spam filter list is so long I may not
see a direct reply.

Derek Janssen

Jul 13, 2008, 6:37:19 PM7/13/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Fri, 11 Jul 2008 8:05pm-0400, Farix <dhstr...@hotmail.com>:
>

>>Kiiro wrote:
>>
>>> Otakon is coming up in less than 30 days. Anyone here going beside me?
>>>
>>>http://www.otakon.com/
>>>August 8th - 10th, 2008
>>>Baltimore Convention Center
>>
>>While it is relatively "close" as far as the big cons go. I'm saving my money
>>for that new car I was aiming to buy last year but had no credit record to
>>speak of.
>
> I don't do much in cons no more. Pay my $60, walk around and relax. ^_^
> (And eat good food by the harbor and waste my vacation away....)

Like another poster on this group, I just sit back and wait for the
headlines, being unable to cosplay. :)

BTW, so what is the speculation for new bulletins in this new age
*after* the debris from the AX bombs have cleared?
Will we hear more Geneon re-release specifics from Funi?

Derek Janssen (actually waiting more for San Diego Comicon, when we'll
finally get some movie trailers and hear what's on the next MST3K disk set)
eja...@verizon.net

Cassandra J. Nichols

Jul 14, 2008, 2:09:13 PM7/14/08
Kiiro wrote:

I'm always interested, but always have trouble convincing myself to go
right after AX.

--
- Cassandra J. Nichols

SpaceGirl

Aug 5, 2008, 3:11:47 PM8/5/08

We really need to have one of these in Scotland... but I'm scare only I
would turn up. Followed by finger pointing and name calling.

Oh well!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com

Aje RavenStar

Aug 5, 2008, 4:06:53 PM8/5/08

"SpaceGirl" <nothespac...@subhuman.net> wrote in message

> Kiiro wrote:
>> Otakon is coming up in less than 30 days. Anyone here going beside
>> me?
>>
>> http://www.otakon.com/
>> August 8th - 10th, 2008
>> Baltimore Convention Center
>>
>> Kiiro
>
> We really need to have one of these in Scotland... but I'm scare only I
> would turn up. Followed by finger pointing and name calling.
>
> Oh well!

Ano...don't hold it in a place with mirrors?

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 6, 2008, 2:57:40 AM8/6/08
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 8:11pm+0100, SpaceGirl <nothespac...@subhuman.net>:

> Kiiro wrote:
> > Otakon is coming up in less than 30 days. Anyone here going beside me?
> >
> > http://www.otakon.com/
> > August 8th - 10th, 2008
> > Baltimore Convention Center
> >

> We really need to have one of these in Scotland... but I'm scare only I would
> turn up. Followed by finger pointing and name calling.
>
> Oh well!

Eh, I don't think we'll go this time.
Nobody seems to be in a rush.

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 10:31:05 AM8/6/08
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

> Tue, 5 Aug 2008 8:11pm+0100, SpaceGirl <nothespac...@subhuman.net>:
>
> > Kiiro wrote:
> > > Otakon is coming up in less than 30 days. Anyone here going beside
> > > me?
> > >
> > > http://www.otakon.com/
> > > August 8th - 10th, 2008
> > > Baltimore Convention Center
> > >

> > We really need to have one of these in Scotland... but I'm scare only I
> > would
> > turn up. Followed by finger pointing and name calling.
> >
> > Oh well!
> >

> Eh, I don't think we'll go this time.
> Nobody seems to be in a rush.

I'll be there. I finally got a job that starts Monday after the con,
so I'll be able to enjoy this one with fewer worries. Unfortunately
the job is doing the same thing I've always done, but for half the
rate I've been making. Still, it beats unemployment. Also, I happen
to have a room at the Days Inn across the street from the BCC, so
that'll be neat. I might be able to get a piece of artwork ("art",
he says, yeesh) ready for the Art Show, too.

If anyone who's going happens to see a middle-aged fat guy with a
hat roaming around, that'll probably be me, so say "hi" if you feel
like it.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Aje RavenStar

Aug 6, 2008, 10:44:18 AM8/6/08

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
> "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>> > We really need to have one of these in Scotland... but I'm scare only I
>> > would
>> > turn up. Followed by finger pointing and name calling.
>> >
>> > Oh well!
>> >

>> Eh, I don't think we'll go this time.
>> Nobody seems to be in a rush.
>
> I'll be there. I finally got a job that starts Monday after the con,
> so I'll be able to enjoy this one with fewer worries. Unfortunately
> the job is doing the same thing I've always done, but for half the
> rate I've been making. Still, it beats unemployment. Also, I happen
> to have a room at the Days Inn across the street from the BCC, so
> that'll be neat. I might be able to get a piece of artwork ("art",
> he says, yeesh) ready for the Art Show, too.

Well, I hope that means my turn is next, and as it happens I have an
interview today (not with the company with pending application that's closer
and I'd rather work for, but if they don't call oh well). Congrats, Cap.
And post an image of the artwork if you get it done.

Abraham Evangelista

Aug 6, 2008, 11:43:12 AM8/6/08

Lucky! I'm still employed for the moment, but with our company's
stock down more than 50% in the last year, and the dread spectre of
"Shared Services" looming over my shoulder, who knows how long I'll be
employed!

Gloom and doom aside, how is Otakon for day trips? If I were to come
on down, would I need to get there crazy early? Or is it not worth
the effort for those who didn't pre-reg?
--
Abraham Evangelista

Aje RavenStar

Aug 6, 2008, 11:54:11 AM8/6/08

"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Con tip. If preregisteration is done, on site registration a mess to avoid,
one can usually go the 'volunteer' route. It's a rare con that doesn't need
extra hands up to the last moment and beyond (those who register don't
always show up or get their passes and don't work). The usual deal is, work
so many hours, you get free access. Fail to work the required hours, you
get charged at the end, sometimes prorated (some cons, wise to this, make
you pay the registation up front and rebate you afterwards as long as you
meet the obligation, but if the point is to go around the lines and get in,
so what?). Depends on the con (regardless of type of con), but I've gone
this way a number of times successfully - due to unemployment usually. Also
the desirable approach if you really want to meet GOH's in a civil setting
instead of a crowd mob scene.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Aug 6, 2008, 12:06:14 PM8/6/08
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> I'll be there. I finally got a job that starts Monday after the con,
> so I'll be able to enjoy this one with fewer worries.

Congrats, and welcome back.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 12:56:35 PM8/6/08
In article <OK6dnVNJsasQVATV...@comcast.com>,
"Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:44:18 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
> > <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Well, I hope that means my turn is next, and as it happens I have an
> >>interview today (not with the company with pending application that's
> >>closer
> >>and I'd rather work for, but if they don't call oh well). Congrats, Cap.
> >>And post an image of the artwork if you get it done.

Thanks, I'm not altogether happy with the arrangement, but at least I
can keep looking for something better while making money. I hope you
get lucky as well and get the job you want (I never heard back from
most of the ones I was trying for, and the ones I really wanted really
didn't want me >__<)

> > Lucky! I'm still employed for the moment, but with our company's
> > stock down more than 50% in the last year, and the dread spectre of
> > "Shared Services" looming over my shoulder, who knows how long I'll be
> > employed!

Gah, I feel your unease, the last place I had a contract with was
Freddie Mac, where I got laid off from in March. I knew it was coming
though...

> > Gloom and doom aside, how is Otakon for day trips? If I were to come
> > on down, would I need to get there crazy early? Or is it not worth
> > the effort for those who didn't pre-reg?
> > --
> > Abraham Evangelista
>
> Con tip. If preregisteration is done, on site registration a mess to avoid,

Lately on-site registration at Otakon isn't that bad, the lines are
intimidatingly long at the start of the day on Friday, but they have
the process down pat and the line's usually gone by mid-day. The
schedule is online, if you want to check the things planned for when
you want to come: http://www.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp

Since the con shuts down at 2 AM, most of the main things are during
the middle of the day (so there's always the problem of simultaneous
events conflicting). I recommend it just for the experience of seeing
a big convention, and seeing the sea of cosplayers taking over the
downtown of a mid-size city! ^===^ Plus two of the local restaurants
are giving 10% off for anyone with an Otakon badge ^====^

They have a link for volunteers on the otakon.com website, as well,
if you want to follow Aje's advice. I have a feeling if you volunteer
to help during registration, you'll kill two birds with one stone, so
to speak ^=====^

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 12:59:48 PM8/6/08
In article <g7ci5m...@news.in-ulm.de>,

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> > I'll be there. I finally got a job that starts Monday after the con,
> > so I'll be able to enjoy this one with fewer worries.
>
> Congrats, and welcome back.
>
> cu
> 59cobalt

Thanks, I may not post as often as before, but I'll be here off and
on.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 6, 2008, 3:04:25 PM8/6/08
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:56pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:

> In article <OK6dnVNJsasQVATV...@comcast.com>,
> "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>

> > > Gloom and doom aside, how is Otakon for day trips? If I were to come
> > > on down, would I need to get there crazy early? Or is it not worth
> > > the effort for those who didn't pre-reg?

I haven't pre-reg in years (even that one time when the pre-reg office
was literally blocks where I am I could've personally handed the money),
show up around noon Fri (there's usually not much happening before then,
save for the opening ceremony), and there's hardly a line.
Heck, sometimes the pre-reg line is still going on when I walk in! ^_^

In my estimates, about 17k-18k people pre-reg every year,
while Otakon's numbers have plateaued around 24k
(they never had to use their 25k cap, so they got rid of the cap).
That means a lot shorter line for on-site reg, if you don't mind
paying the extra $10 (which I don't, just to avoid all the hassle).

> > Con tip. If preregisteration is done, on site registration a mess to avoid,
>
> Lately on-site registration at Otakon isn't that bad, the lines are
> intimidatingly long at the start of the day on Friday, but they have
> the process down pat and the line's usually gone by mid-day. The

Yeah, I haven't heard much complaints about registration in a while.
They usually process a lot of people at a time.

> schedule is online, if you want to check the things planned for when
> you want to come: http://www.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp
>
> Since the con shuts down at 2 AM, most of the main things are during

I seem to recall they used to be 24 hrs...
... back when they were in Holiday Inn. ^_^

> the middle of the day (so there's always the problem of simultaneous
> events conflicting). I recommend it just for the experience of seeing
> a big convention, and seeing the sea of cosplayers taking over the
> downtown of a mid-size city! ^===^ Plus two of the local restaurants
> are giving 10% off for anyone with an Otakon badge ^====^

Which ones are those, if I may ask?
We usually just go to the Harbor restaurants or ESPN Zone.

Message has been deleted

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 3:46:14 PM8/6/08
In article <slrng9jtn4...@debian.dns2go.com>,
Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Captain Nerd wrote on [Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:31:05 -0400]:
> > If anyone who's going happens to see a middle-aged fat guy with a
> > hat roaming around, that'll probably be me, so say "hi" if you feel
> > like it.
>

> Uh, do you really think that narrows it down that much? Have you been to
> a con before?

Actually, from what I've seen at anime cons, it narrows it down
quite a bit. The majority of people at cons seem to be Naruto
wannabes in high school or early college. You occasionally find
a bemused parent or two my age, but mostly it's kids. Now Science
Fiction cons, it's the exact opposite...

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 5:30:14 PM8/6/08
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

> Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:56pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:
>
> > In article <OK6dnVNJsasQVATV...@comcast.com>,
> > "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > "Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I haven't pre-reg in years (even that one time when the pre-reg office
> was literally blocks where I am I could've personally handed the money),
> show up around noon Fri (there's usually not much happening before then,
> save for the opening ceremony), and there's hardly a line.
> Heck, sometimes the pre-reg line is still going on when I walk in! ^_^
>
> In my estimates, about 17k-18k people pre-reg every year,
> while Otakon's numbers have plateaued around 24k
> (they never had to use their 25k cap, so they got rid of the cap).
> That means a lot shorter line for on-site reg, if you don't mind
> paying the extra $10 (which I don't, just to avoid all the hassle).

I've pre-regged every year that I've gone, and the first few years
that Thursday night line was bad (one year I just barely made it in
before they closed up for the night. That was fun!) but last year I
think I was only in line for less than an hour. They really open the
floodgates and process dozens at a time thru two banks of lines. Most
impressive...

... when dinosaurs roamed the earth ... ^====^

> > the middle of the day (so there's always the problem of simultaneous
> > events conflicting). I recommend it just for the experience of seeing
> > a big convention, and seeing the sea of cosplayers taking over the
> > downtown of a mid-size city! ^===^ Plus two of the local restaurants
> > are giving 10% off for anyone with an Otakon badge ^====^
> >

> Which ones are those, if I may ask?
> We usually just go to the Harbor restaurants or ESPN Zone.

http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=418

I've eaten at the California Tortilla, lots of food for the money.
The best time to eat is usually during a concert or during the
masquerade, when most con-goers are othewise occupied...

Rob Kelk

Aug 6, 2008, 6:49:46 PM8/6/08
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:09:24 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Captain Nerd wrote on [Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:31:05 -0400]:

>> If anyone who's going happens to see a middle-aged fat guy with a
>> hat roaming around, that'll probably be me, so say "hi" if you feel
>> like it.
>

>Uh, do you really think that narrows it down that much? Have you been to
>a con before?

He *did* say "with a hat"... ^_^

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 7:13:38 PM8/6/08
In article <489a2a7...@news.individual.net>,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:09:24 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
> >Captain Nerd wrote on [Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:31:05 -0400]:
> >> If anyone who's going happens to see a middle-aged fat guy with a
> >> hat roaming around, that'll probably be me, so say "hi" if you feel
> >> like it.
> >
> >Uh, do you really think that narrows it down that much? Have you been to
> >a con before?
>
> He *did* say "with a hat"... ^_^

Specifically, this hat:

http://www.nerdwatch.com/images/tokyo_teleport.jpg

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 10:03:07 PM8/6/08
In article <slrng9keha...@debian.dns2go.com>,
Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> See, they should mail the badges to pre-regs.

Hmm, where have I heard that before...

Captain Nerd

Aug 6, 2008, 10:12:40 PM8/6/08
In article <slrng9kes0...@debian.dns2go.com>,
Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Captain Nerd wrote on [Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:13:38 -0400]:
> > In article <489a2a7...@news.individual.net>,
> > rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> >> He *did* say "with a hat"... ^_^
> >
> > Specifically, this hat:
> >
> > http://www.nerdwatch.com/images/tokyo_teleport.jpg
>

> So, about 25% of the con going population ;)

Hell, with my weight I *am* 25% of the con going population!

Kiiro

Aug 6, 2008, 10:30:51 PM8/6/08

They won't mail the badges out because some people will claim they are
lost/never received to get replacements for others in for free, and they
need to see a photo ID before you get a badge.

Kiiro

Message has been deleted

Jim diGriz

Aug 7, 2008, 2:28:43 PM8/7/08
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 22:12:40 -0400, Captain Nerd wrote:
> In article <slrng9kes0...@debian.dns2go.com>,
> Justin <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote:

>> So, about 25% of the con going population ;)
>
> Hell, with my weight I *am* 25% of the con going population!

Actually, compared to a lot of Americans I've met at SF conventions,
you're positively underweight. And the non overweight ones turned out to
be Canadians.

JdG

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 7, 2008, 4:52:24 PM8/7/08
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:02:08 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>Captain Nerd wrote on [Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:13:38 -0400]:
>> In article <489a2a7...@news.individual.net>,
>> rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

>>> He *did* say "with a hat"... ^_^
>>
>> Specifically, this hat:
>>
>> http://www.nerdwatch.com/images/tokyo_teleport.jpg
>

>So, about 25% of the con going population ;)

Which will also include Bill Holbrook of Kevin & Kell fame (scroll
down; while it lasts) . . .:

<http://www.kevinandkell.com/>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer