Sports in Anime . . .

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 4, 2008, 3:29:58 AM8/4/08
I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
unexpected.

A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
Champloo . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Derek Janssen

Aug 4, 2008, 6:18:43 AM8/4/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

Um...school sports days in just about every shoujo school series ever made--
<checks watch> How long do you want this thread to be?

Derek Janssen (shall we move on at AzD, or the Haruhi episode?)
eja...@verizon.net

Galen

Aug 4, 2008, 6:22:51 AM8/4/08
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:29:58 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>Champloo . . .

Ninja Sports Festival, in Sasuga no Sarutobi
(setting is at a ninja high school).

Bowling episode of Magical Taruruto-kun

Baseball game against America High in Dr. Slump.

Derek Janssen

Aug 4, 2008, 6:51:39 AM8/4/08

Snowball fights in xxxHolic.

Derek Janssen (anyone wanna top that one?)
eja...@verizon.net

Blade

Aug 4, 2008, 8:32:51 AM8/4/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>> unexpected. A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>> Champloo . . .
>
> Um...school sports days in just about every shoujo school series ever
> made--
> <checks watch> How long do you want this thread to be?

I wouldn't exactly call sports "unexpected" in any high school-based series.

Hmm... with that being said, I can't think of anything better than the
bowling and baseball episodes in Excel Saga, and I wouldn't count them as
"unexpected" either, given the series...

-
Blade

Aje RavenStar

Aug 4, 2008, 8:36:17 AM8/4/08

> Galen wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:29:58 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
>> <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>>>sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>>>unexpected.
>>> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>>>Champloo . . .

A better one is the baseball elements in FLCL (he swung away! he made
contact!)

>> Ninja Sports Festival, in Sasuga no Sarutobi (setting is at a ninja high
>> school).
>>
>> Bowling episode of Magical Taruruto-kun
>>
>> Baseball game against America High in Dr. Slump.
>
> Snowball fights in xxxHolic.
>
> Derek Janssen (anyone wanna top that one?)
> eja...@verizon.net

The obvious response is the hide and seek competition that starts Urusei
Yatsura.

Dave Watson

Aug 4, 2008, 8:50:05 AM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 8:36 am, "Aje RavenStar" <whinebuc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Derek Janssen" <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> > Snowball fights in xxxHolic.
>
> > Derek Janssen (anyone wanna top that one?)
> > ejan...@verizon.net

> The obvious response is the hide and seek competition that starts Urusei
> Yatsura.

Shurely you mean the tag competition, right? To top it off, Ataru had
to grab the small horns on Lum's head.

Watson.

Aje RavenStar

Aug 4, 2008, 9:11:16 AM8/4/08

"Dave Watson" <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Watson.

Yeah, I did. Confound it, I'm not posting again until this TS Edouard quits
targeting Houston. Paying too much attention to the Weather channel to
think properly. Gomen and arigatou for the correction.

Massimo Sabbadini

Aug 4, 2008, 10:28:45 AM8/4/08
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>Champloo . . .

Eureka Seven had a soccer episode.

--
Massimo "Gohan" Sabbadini
Email: gohan(at)megane.it

Message has been deleted

bobbie sellers

Aug 4, 2008, 11:58:39 AM8/4/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

Kimagure Orange Road - swimming, tennis, hiking, martial arts
Maison Ikkoku - Tennis, baseball, ice skating, binge drinking.
Aoi Yori Ashoi - swimming (not sure if the swimming was included in
the anime
but someone will point out my error). Ahh it is in AYA Enshi and Tennis
short are
at least worn.
Suzuka of course is about track atheletes and their relationships
Ah Megisama Ichi is an amateur motocycle racer isn't he.
Revolutionary Girl Utena the art of the fence aka fencing
Kare Kano Arima is the Kendo champ!
Marmalade Boy - Tennis
Hana yori Dango - fishing
Jubi Chan - one or more involved in Kendo
Gokusen - boxing
To Heart - Kung fu
Otaku no Video - Tennis to open but it never shows up again

> --
>
> - ReFlex76
>
> - "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"
>
> - "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

*Baloney at 70.9+ years old I wonder if I will live to my next
birthday.*

> - Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

No that was Moishe of the Commandments or even Lao Tse of Taoist fame

> <http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>
>
> <http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>
>
> Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

later
Bobbie aka bliss at california dot com

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Blade

Aug 4, 2008, 12:17:12 PM8/4/08

"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Silly me! One of the biggest WTF sports moments is obviously the (epic!)
tennis match in Death Note.

-
Blade

bobbie sellers

Aug 4, 2008, 12:42:35 PM8/4/08
bobbie sellers wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>> unexpected.
>> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>> Champloo . . .
>>

> Kimagure Orange Road - swimming, tennis, hiking, martial arts, and
I nearly forgot sking.

> Maison Ikkoku - Tennis, baseball, ice skating, binge drinking.
> Aoi Yori Ashoi - swimming (not sure if the swimming was included in
> the anime
> but someone will point out my error). Ahh it is in AYA Enshi and
> Tennis shorts are
bobbie

Heikki "vermes" Heiska

Aug 4, 2008, 12:43:02 PM8/4/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

Yakitate!! Japan - getting solar gauntlets/gauntlets of the sun seem to
require lot of exercise.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Aug 4, 2008, 1:21:57 PM8/4/08
bobbie sellers <bl...@california.com> wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean sports
>> getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be unexpected.
[...]

> Suzuka of course is about track atheletes and their relationships

Which in turn makes it a sports anime, so it doesn't count.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Rob Kelk

Aug 4, 2008, 1:58:44 PM8/4/08
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>Champloo . . .

There's a couple in Super GALS! - the skiing trip turned impromptu
skiing competition in season 1, and the swimming trip turned impromptu
swimming competition in season 2.

Card Captor Sakura had two swimming trip episodes - a class-organized
one in the middle of the first season, and a
just-the-main-and-major-supporting-cast one very near the end of the
final season.

Not counting the sports fests, Azumanga Daioh had one where
Yukari-sensei took her English class outside to play soccer.

Does the Stellvia "astroball" episode count?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Stephen Bierce

Aug 4, 2008, 2:26:58 PM8/4/08
> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
>sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
>unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
>Champloo . . .

Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets when the team has to protect a baseball
stadium from the enemy terrorists.

Dai Apollon, with its American-rules football.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922
http://frustratedpilot.livejournal.com

Derek Janssen

Aug 4, 2008, 2:35:46 PM8/4/08
Aje RavenStar wrote:

> The obvious response is the hide and seek competition that starts Urusei
> Yatsura.

And Mendo vs. Mizunokoji baseball tournament that turns into Tomobiki HS
vs. the Ryoko Mendou Household Kuroko.

Derek Janssen ("It's the bottom of the 32nd inning...")
eja...@verizon.net

Aje RavenStar

Aug 4, 2008, 2:50:09 PM8/4/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Third episode of Yumeria (if I'm remembering correctly) has evil teacher
using a killer brand of dodgeball against the lead male character.

And I probably missed it, but I haven't seen any mention of Haruhi's episode
4 (or was it episode 7 or episode 8?<g>) baseball tournament.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 4, 2008, 2:58:04 PM8/4/08
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:29am-0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com>:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

FLCL - the many ways to play baseball and paint, er, pellet(?)ball.

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2008, 5:23:27 PM8/4/08
Excel Saga -- "BOWLING?!!?!?!??!??"

Mike

Dave Watson

Aug 4, 2008, 6:56:30 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 1:21 pm, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

<usenet-2...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
> bobbie sellers <bl...@california.com> wrote:
> > Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> >> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean sports
> >> getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be unexpected.
> [...]
> > Suzuka of course is about track atheletes and their relationships
>
> Which in turn makes it a sports anime, so it doesn't count.

Actually, it's a relationship anime. The relationship is just between
two track athletes. It doesn't really follow the sports anime tropes
that closely.

Watson
He was gonna work on Being Upfront today, but then he got sicker.

Nick

Aug 4, 2008, 8:02:37 PM8/4/08

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:21:57 +0200 (CEST), in rec.arts.anime.misc, Ansgar
-59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>bobbie sellers <bl...@california.com> wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean sports
>>> getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be unexpected.
>[...]
>> Suzuka of course is about track atheletes and their relationships
>
>Which in turn makes it a sports anime, so it doesn't count.

Suzuka is a romance, not a sports anime: the track and field is just a
backdrop for the romance.

In forum discussions about the Suzuka manga, some people were obviously
annoyed that the sports played a relatively minor role in the series. The
manga goes on for quite a bit after the point were the anime ends, and the
sports pretty much disappears in the latter part of the series.

One of my favorite manga, and I enjoyed the anime version too.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

Invid Fan

Aug 4, 2008, 8:39:06 PM8/4/08
In article
<9ceb3e7c-1075-481c...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 4, 1:21 pm, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
> <usenet-2...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
> > bobbie sellers <bl...@california.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Suzuka of course is about track atheletes and their relationships
> >
> > Which in turn makes it a sports anime, so it doesn't count.
>
> Actually, it's a relationship anime. The relationship is just between
> two track athletes. It doesn't really follow the sports anime tropes
> that closely.

Well, that's a bit like saying something isn't SF because it's a
romance. It's possible to be both :)

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Dave Watson

Aug 4, 2008, 9:25:23 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 8:39 pm, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <9ceb3e7c-1075-481c-b09e-89d9d27c3...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

> Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 4, 1:21 pm, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
> > <usenet-2...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
> > > [...]
>
> > > Which in turn makes it a sports anime, so it doesn't count.
>
> > Actually, it's a relationship anime.  The relationship is just between
> > two track athletes.  It doesn't really follow the sports anime tropes
> > that closely.
>
> Well, that's a bit like saying something isn't SF because it's a
> romance. It's possible to be both :)

Yeah, yeah. Hello, Video Girl Ai. But the emphasis in Suzuka is on
the romance, not the sports. The sports part is really an
introduction, and, as it's been pointed out here, that fades to
nothing in the original manga.

Watson.

David Nakamoto

Aug 4, 2008, 10:26:29 PM8/4/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

Which, when Mugen and the batter hit one another, that scene is the
funniest of the series.

--- Dave

David Nakamoto

Aug 4, 2008, 10:27:42 PM8/4/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

The brass rackets episode from Slayers comes to mind, although I don't
believe tennis is played quite that way . . . .
(^_^)

--- Dave

Derek Janssen

Aug 4, 2008, 11:14:19 PM8/4/08
Dave Watson wrote:

>>Well, that's a bit like saying something isn't SF because it's a
>>romance. It's possible to be both :)
>
> Yeah, yeah. Hello, Video Girl Ai.

Which brings up *another* bowling episode...

Derek Janssen (snatching topic back from the very jaws of Dave Watson)
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Watson

Aug 5, 2008, 12:43:10 AM8/5/08

Nice of you snip out the vast part of the post in which I KEPT on
topic, cockhead. To wit: Suzuka is a romance anime with some sports
in it--not a sports anime with some romance in it (although I did love
Princess Nine for that very reason). Also, that VGAi ep is about a
first date--not bowling. That's just a scene in it. Still, good
example.

Watson
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Derek Janssen--living proof that, if you
stare into the abyss too long, the abyss starts staring back at you.

Bill Martin

Aug 7, 2008, 9:32:26 PM8/7/08

Maybe not, but Lina and Amelia look very cute, and seeing Zelgadis in
that outfit was hilarious.

Gerardo Campos

Aug 8, 2008, 4:38:36 PM8/8/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote on Mon 04 Aug 2008
02:29:58a:

> I don't mean sports anime (more than enough of those), I mean
> sports getting into anime, usually anime where sports would be
> unexpected.
>
> A great example is the infamous baseball episode of Samurai
> Champloo . . .

Ranma some weird hybrids of sports with martial arts:
volleyball, ice skating, gymnastics, swimming.

Sailor Moon, I recall a tennis episode

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Derek Janssen

Aug 8, 2008, 4:50:01 PM8/8/08
Gerardo Campos wrote:

> Ranma some weird hybrids of sports with martial arts:
> volleyball, ice skating, gymnastics, swimming.
>
> Sailor Moon, I recall a tennis episode

And an ice skating episode, in which we learn *another* one of Jupiter's
hidden talents...

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net