[OT] Disney to aquire Marvel for $4B

1 view

Tank

Sep 1, 2009, 4:24:53 PM9/1/09
Should be interesting to see what movies this deal will spawn.

http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=28812

--Edwin E.

nonodel

Sep 2, 2009, 7:24:55 PM9/2/09

"Tank" <no_Tank_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Should be interesting to see what movies this deal will spawn.
>
> http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=28812
>
> --Edwin E.

Don't know, can't imagine SpiderMan wearing a Michey Mouse tee -.-

In the end, Disney might be losing value, they got Pixar and now Marvel...
maybe they lack innovation in the core business.

Greetings
--
Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
www.anizeen.com

Rob Kelk

Sep 2, 2009, 7:33:45 PM9/2/09
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:24:55 -0500, "nonodel" <non...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Tank" <no_Tank_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Should be interesting to see what movies this deal will spawn.
>>
>> http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=28812
>>
>> --Edwin E.
>
>Don't know, can't imagine SpiderMan wearing a Michey Mouse tee -.-
>
>In the end, Disney might be losing value, they got Pixar and now Marvel...
>maybe they lack innovation in the core business.

What do you mean, "maybe"? Consider how long it's been since we've seen
any new Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck cartoons, and compare that to how
long it's been since we've seen any Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck cartoons.

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it

Inu-Yasha

Sep 3, 2009, 7:50:52 PM9/3/09
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:24:55 -0500, "nonodel" <non...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Tank" <no_Tank_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Should be interesting to see what movies this deal will spawn.
>>>
>>> http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=28812
>>>
>>> --Edwin E.
>> Don't know, can't imagine SpiderMan wearing a Michey Mouse tee -.-
>>
>> In the end, Disney might be losing value, they got Pixar and now Marvel...
>> maybe they lack innovation in the core business.
>
> What do you mean, "maybe"? Consider how long it's been since we've seen
> any new Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck cartoons, and compare that to how
> long it's been since we've seen any Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck cartoons.

Ah, ... wait did that make sense and I just missed the joke ...or...
*_*;

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

--

Sanjian said on September 2nd 2009 at 5:53PM:

"I find it easier to flush and move on."

robin-of-lox

Sep 4, 2009, 2:21:48 PM9/4/09
On Sep 3, 4:50 pm, Inu-Yasha <tomcorb...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Rob Kelk wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:24:55 -0500, "nonodel" <nono...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> "Tank" <no_Tank_spam_25...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Don't know, can't imagine SpiderMan wearing a Michey Mouse tee -.-
>
> >> In the end, Disney might be losing value, they got Pixar and now Marvel...
> >> maybe they lack innovation in the core business.
>
> > What do you mean, "maybe"? Consider how long it's been since we've seen
> > any new Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck cartoons, and compare that to how
> > long it's been since we've seen any Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck cartoons.
>
> Ah, ... wait did that make sense and I just missed the joke ...or...
> *_*;
>
>                 Inu-Yasha
>                 Feh!! ^_^
>
> --
>
> Sanjian said on September 2nd 2009 at 5:53PM:
>
>      "I find it easier to flush and move on."- Hide quoted text -

Oh good. I'm not the only one confused by that.

Robin

Rob Kelk

Sep 4, 2009, 8:47:50 PM9/4/09
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:21:48 -0700 (PDT), robin-of-lox
<robin....@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sep 3, 4:50=A0pm, Inu-Yasha <tomcorb...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> Rob Kelk wrote:

>> > What do you mean, "maybe"? Consider how long it's been since we've seen
>> > any new Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck cartoons, and compare that to how
>> > long it's been since we've seen any Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck cartoons.
>>
>> Ah, ... wait did that make sense and I just missed the joke ...or...
>> *_*;
>>

>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Inu-Yasha
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Feh!! ^_^

>> --
>>
>> Sanjian said on September 2nd 2009 at 5:53PM:
>>

>> =A0 =A0 =A0"I find it easier to flush and move on."- Hide quoted text -

>Oh good. I'm not the only one confused by that.
>
>Robin

Let me re-phrase...

The last time I looked, Disney was best-known for being an animation
company. When was the last time they made any animation? (No, Pixar
doesn't count.) When they made animation, when was the last time they
used their iconic characters?

Compare that to the Warner Bros. animation house, asking the same
questions.

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Derek Janssen

Sep 4, 2009, 9:51:57 PM9/4/09
Rob Kelk wrote:

> The last time I looked, Disney was best-known for being an animation
> company. When was the last time they made any animation? (No, Pixar
> doesn't count.)

"Keep--"...ohh, never mind:
If I was to geek-quote any lines from "Bolt", "Princess & the Frog" or
"Meet the Robinsons", you wouldn't know them anyway. :(

> When they made animation, when was the last time they
> used their iconic characters?

(Okay, which is the more depressing to quote, "The Tinkerbell
Movie","Mickey's 3 Musketeers", or six solid years of Pooh?) >_<

Derek Janssen (like Elvis, a model citizen)
eja...@verizon.net

Blade

Sep 4, 2009, 10:48:01 PM9/4/09

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

>>> Ah, ... wait did that make sense and I just missed the joke ...or...
>>> *_*;

>>Oh good. I'm not the only one confused by that.
>>
>>Robin
>
> Let me re-phrase...
>
> The last time I looked, Disney was best-known for being an animation
> company. When was the last time they made any animation? (No, Pixar
> doesn't count.) When they made animation, when was the last time they
> used their iconic characters?
>
> Compare that to the Warner Bros. animation house, asking the same
> questions.

Typo aside, why would Disney making cartoons starring their characters from
the 50s be counted as "innovation"? That strikes me as rather the opposite,
in fact.

As well, it's well-known that the majority of Disney's traditionally
animated movies of the last decade have been less than successful; that
would explain why they've been concentrating on other, more reliably
profitable fields.

-
Blade

Captain Nerd

Sep 4, 2009, 11:23:19 PM9/4/09
In article <1vjom.1157$Jd7....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Movie","Mickey's 3 Musketeers", or six solid years of Pooh?) >_<

Could be worse, could be "Six years of solid Pooh"...

Cap.
(... aka, "Constipation: The Series"...)

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 5, 2009, 1:07:55 AM9/5/09
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:51:57 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Rob Kelk wrote:
>>
>> The last time I looked, Disney was best-known for being an animation
>> company. When was the last time they made any animation? (No, Pixar
>> doesn't count.)
>
>"Keep--"...ohh, never mind:
>If I was to geek-quote any lines from "Bolt", "Princess & the Frog" or
>"Meet the Robinsons", you wouldn't know them anyway. :(
>
>> When they made animation, when was the last time they
>> used their iconic characters?
>
>(Okay, which is the more depressing to quote, "The Tinkerbell
>Movie","Mickey's 3 Musketeers", or six solid years of Pooh?) >_<

Let's see:

- Tinkerbell comes from Peter Pan, which is a creation of J.M Barrie.
- Pooh is famously by A. A. Milne.

Not so much "iconic characters" as much as more of Disney's
fanfiction.

Oh, and I'll admit I once thought Pooh was a Disney creation; of
course, I was in the fourth grade back then, those who make that
mistake now should have a better excuse . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Rob Kelk

Sep 5, 2009, 10:45:29 AM9/5/09
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:48:01 +1000, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

>>>Oh good. I'm not the only one confused by that.
>>>
>>>Robin
>>
>> Let me re-phrase...
>>
>> The last time I looked, Disney was best-known for being an animation
>> company. When was the last time they made any animation? (No, Pixar
>> doesn't count.) When they made animation, when was the last time they
>> used their iconic characters?
>>
>> Compare that to the Warner Bros. animation house, asking the same
>> questions.
>
>Typo aside, why would Disney making cartoons starring their characters from
>the 50s be counted as "innovation"? That strikes me as rather the opposite,
>in fact.

The comment wasn't about just innovation - it was about innovation in
the core business.

>As well, it's well-known that the majority of Disney's traditionally

>animated movies of the last decade have been less than successful; that
>would explain why they've been concentrating on other, more reliably
>profitable fields.

Which, I believe, is a sign of their lack of innivation in their core
business...

Derek Janssen

Sep 5, 2009, 12:05:40 PM9/5/09
Rob Kelk wrote:

>> In the end, Disney might be losing value, they got Pixar and now Marvel...
>> maybe they lack innovation in the core business.
>
> What do you mean, "maybe"? Consider how long it's been since we've seen
> any new Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck cartoons, and compare that to how
> long it's been since we've seen any Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck cartoons.

Yeah, they haven't shown the old "House of Mouse" series since, what, '02?

Derek Janssen (I hope we're not considering neo-Bugs and HoM cartoons as
"good" things...) >_<
eja...@verizon.net

Invid Fan

Sep 5, 2009, 12:22:47 PM9/5/09
In article <4aa2790...@news.individual.net>, Rob Kelk
<rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:

Which would be creating new characters, just like they use to. Once
you're stuck relying on existing ones forever you're a zombie company.

> >As well, it's well-known that the majority of Disney's traditionally
> >animated movies of the last decade have been less than successful; that
> >would explain why they've been concentrating on other, more reliably
> >profitable fields.
>
> Which, I believe, is a sign of their lack of innivation in their core
> business...

Innovation doesn't always work, to be sure. I'd rather Disney come up
with new characters like Kim Possible then do anything with Donald
Duck.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

B Sellers

Sep 5, 2009, 12:41:51 PM9/5/09

Disney rejected Dan O'Neil's creation of an adult mouse and working
group, nearly killed Dan and took his work out of the public
view, Since
then no Disney allowed here and Disney has to buy other companies to
get new stuff. Suppose they had licensed Dan and hired him as is
the case with dojinshi occasionally in Japan. We would have a
vastly
different Disney and even the old characters would be new as Mickey
and Minnie and the boys aged gracefully into a vigilante gang of
their
own. Donald could be in counseling for his anger problems and speech
impediment.
Dan O'Neil published the Air Pirates comix as the Mouse and
his gang sought to suppress the Phantom Blot with his gang including
Black Pete. It was an adult production and Disney thought it
slandered
the Mouse but it was not allowed to be done as a tribute or even as
parody to/of the beloved(of my generation) characters and Dan ended
up under the financial burden of an immense fine.
He had his own comic characters as well and had underground
press coverage as well as a regular strip in a daily for a while.
But he seems to have given up as Disney's fine consumed his
earnings. Too bad for us readers. Worse is that Zippy the Pinhead
sold out to be a satirical commentator instead of a loose loon.

Oh well.

later
bliss

Derek Janssen

Sep 5, 2009, 12:59:22 PM9/5/09
Invid Fan wrote:

> Innovation doesn't always work, to be sure. I'd rather Disney come up
> with new characters like Kim Possible then do anything with Donald
> Duck.

Hey, I LIKED "Goofy's 'How to Hook Up Your Home Theater'"! ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls

(Yes, it played in theaters, and a national treasure, too.)

Derek Janssen (when posting to the Internet, one must not appear to be
deficient or out of date in one's information...)
eja...@verizon.net

Aje.RavenStar

Sep 5, 2009, 4:57:36 PM9/5/09

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Invid Fan wrote:

>> Innovation doesn't always work, to be sure. I'd rather Disney come up
>> with new characters like Kim Possible then do anything with Donald
>> Duck.
>
> Hey, I LIKED "Goofy's 'How to Hook Up Your Home Theater'"! ^_^
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls
>
> (Yes, it played in theaters, and a national treasure, too.)

Just came from local theater, someone wanted to see District 9. Big wall ad
there for Disney's The Princess and the Frog, coming in December.

Derek Janssen

Sep 5, 2009, 7:20:49 PM9/5/09

Rumors are milling about whether we'll get any early year-ahead teases
for "Rapunzel" with it, the *other* old-school princess musical that
John Lasseter rammed down Eisner's throat on the way out. :)

Derek Janssen (ah, it's FUN to be a poor winner)
eja...@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Sep 5, 2009, 8:00:48 PM9/5/09

Well, it's hardly my fault that they aren't airing this stuff outside of
the US...

(when posting to the Internet, one must remember that the Internet is
world-wide)

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz

"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that
other people suffer from."
- Bob Schroeck, talking about his V&V character, 15 March 2005

Inu-Yasha

Sep 5, 2009, 8:58:20 PM9/5/09
Captain Nerd wrote:
> In article <1vjom.1157$Jd7....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
> Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> Movie","Mickey's 3 Musketeers", or six solid years of Pooh?) >_<
>
> Could be worse, could be "Six years of solid Pooh"...
>
> Cap.
> (... aka, "Constipation: The Series"...)

Bet it'd be pretty wild when they finally let loose. (had to say it, WB
made me do it.) ^__*'

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

My guess would be Eisner fired all the animation guys, and they are too
busy making money hand over fist at the theme parks and resorts/hotels.
I mean the Mouse even has his own boats now.

Inu-Yasha

Sep 5, 2009, 9:00:31 PM9/5/09
I think it is only fair to recognize that Pooh the animation, and Peter
Pan the animation were done by Disney as were Sleeping Beauty, Snow
White, Cinderella...etc.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

Inu-Yasha

Sep 5, 2009, 9:09:11 PM9/5/09

IMHO when Walt Disney passed away, the true heart went out of the world
of the mouse, The wonderful World of Walt Disney on TV and the
creativity that produced the iconic characters. Walt's brouther (whoes
name I have forgot) tried to keep some of Walt's spirit alive, but the
bean counters and Eisner wanted to go another direction.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

Derek Janssen

Sep 5, 2009, 11:01:01 PM9/5/09
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:59:22 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Invid Fan wrote:
>>>>>>
>>> Innovation doesn't always work, to be sure. I'd rather Disney come up
>>> with new characters like Kim Possible then do anything with Donald
>>> Duck.
>> Hey, I LIKED "Goofy's 'How to Hook Up Your Home Theater'"! ^_^
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls
>>
>> (Yes, it played in theaters, and a national treasure, too.)
>>
>> Derek Janssen (when posting to the Internet, one must not appear to be
>> deficient or out of date in one's information...)
>> <tips hat>

> Well, it's hardly my fault that they aren't airing this stuff outside of
> the US...

So...they didn't show "Bolt" in Canada either, then? Bummer.

(Or, lemme guess--You thought it was "Pixar, just like Meet the
Robinsons", right?)

Derek Janssen (got this idea how Disney can revive their
animation...Think "aliens"!--Oh, wait, they tried that.)
eja...@verizon.net

Derek Janssen

Sep 5, 2009, 11:17:56 PM9/5/09
Inu-Yasha wrote:

> My guess would be Eisner fired all the animation guys, and they are too
> busy making money hand over fist at the theme parks and resorts/hotels.
> I mean the Mouse even has his own boats now.

- THE guys (ie. John Musker & Ron Clements, the
Mermaid/Aladdin/Hercules/Treasure Planet guys) were hired back
especially and symbolically, to rub "Princess & the Frog" in Eisner's face,
- Glenn Keane's been spending all his time trying to find a new "CGI
hybrid" style for "Rapunzel" (apart from cameoing in the immortal '07
CalArts Film)
- Aladdin/Lion King writer Roger Allers escaped to Sony during the
Eisner Wars with half the Toy Story 2 crew (back when both studios
thought there literally wouldn't even *be* a Disney or Pixar to come
home to) to direct "Open Season" for Sony...And apparently haven't heard
that it's okay to come back now, all is forgiven,
- Gary Trousdale, half of the wildly overpraised "Beauty/Beast" and
"Hunchback" team, defected traitor to Dreamworks to direct "Shrek the
Halls", but Kirk Wise still hasn't been heard from since "Atlantis"
- Chris "Lilo & Stitch" Sanders got pink-slipped from John Lasseter for
what would've been his own very, VERY different version of "Bolt", and
Jeff K. leaped on hiring him like a hungry jackal for at least two new
Dreamworks projects

Derek Janssen (and why do I know all this?--Because it's more
interesting than cheap gags.) ^_^
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 6, 2009, 3:15:24 AM9/6/09
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:17:56 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Inu-Yasha wrote:
>>
>> My guess would be Eisner fired all the animation guys, and they are too
>> busy making money hand over fist at the theme parks and resorts/hotels.
>> I mean the Mouse even has his own boats now.
>
>- THE guys (ie. John Musker & Ron Clements, the
>Mermaid/Aladdin/Hercules/Treasure Planet guys) were hired back
>especially and symbolically, to rub "Princess & the Frog" in Eisner's face,

From what I've seen of P&tG, Eisner must be laughing histerically
at how things fall apart without him . . .

>- Glenn Keane's been spending all his time trying to find a new "CGI
>hybrid" style for "Rapunzel" (apart from cameoing in the immortal '07
>CalArts Film)
>- Aladdin/Lion King writer Roger Allers escaped to Sony during the
>Eisner Wars with half the Toy Story 2 crew (back when both studios
>thought there literally wouldn't even *be* a Disney or Pixar to come
>home to) to direct "Open Season" for Sony...And apparently haven't heard
>that it's okay to come back now, all is forgiven,

Sounds like someone's happy at Sony . . .

Re: The Lion King; not like re-writing Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the
White Lion was esepecially hard.

>- Gary Trousdale, half of the wildly overpraised "Beauty/Beast" and
>"Hunchback" team, defected traitor to Dreamworks to direct "Shrek the
>Halls", but Kirk Wise still hasn't been heard from since "Atlantis"

More of the ol' "I hate Dreamworks/Shrek" crap . . .

>- Chris "Lilo & Stitch" Sanders got pink-slipped from John Lasseter for
>what would've been his own very, VERY different version of "Bolt", and
>Jeff K. leaped on hiring him like a hungry jackal for at least two new
>Dreamworks projects

See above . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Invid Fan

Sep 6, 2009, 1:44:26 PM9/6/09
In article <4aa30bbd$0$5662$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
Inu-Yasha <tomco...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> IMHO when Walt Disney passed away, the true heart went out of the world
> of the mouse,

To be fair, Disney himself no longer was that interested in animation
at that point. Urban Planning was his new love, believe it or not, and
Disney World was to be be a huge train set (or monorail/WEDway set, if
you prefer). I would love to know if EPCOT as originally planned had a
chance in hell of working :)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 7, 2009, 3:17:04 PM9/7/09

If it turns out as disastrous as it looks like Princess and the
Frog will be, it may be a further redemption for Eisner . . .

>Derek Janssen (ah, it's FUN to be a poor winner)

Funny thing, to be a "poor winner," you have to actually win
something!

--

- ReFlex76

Tank

Sep 8, 2009, 11:02:54 AM9/8/09

To me that's classic Disney. So many of the jokes in that piece were
spot on. I'm surprised that I hadn't seen it on the Disney Channel
before. It shows that there is still some life left in those old
characters. Thanks for the link.

--Edwin E.

Tank

Sep 8, 2009, 11:08:24 AM9/8/09
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:59:22 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Hey, I LIKED "Goofy's 'How to Hook Up Your Home Theater'"! ^_^
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls
>
>(Yes, it played in theaters, and a national treasure, too.)
>
>Derek Janssen (when posting to the Internet, one must not appear to be
>deficient or out of date in one's information...)
>eja...@verizon.net

Oh, forgot to ask, at 4:44 Goofy clears off a shelf for a speaker.
There's a picture of Walt on the left, but who is the spectacled guy
on the right side?

--Edwin E.

Derek Janssen

Sep 8, 2009, 11:31:08 AM9/8/09
Tank wrote:

>> Hey, I LIKED "Goofy's 'How to Hook Up Your Home Theater'"! ^_^
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls
>>
>> (Yes, it played in theaters, and a national treasure, too.)
>>
>> (when posting to the Internet, one must not appear to be
>> deficient or out of date in one's information...)
>
> Oh, forgot to ask, at 4:44 Goofy clears off a shelf for a speaker.
> There's a picture of Walt on the left, but who is the spectacled guy
> on the right side?

John Lasseter--Didn't you recognize the Animator/Imagineer
Hawaiian-print shirt? :)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Tank

Sep 11, 2009, 10:16:43 AM9/11/09

I read later that Lasseter co-produced the piece, but it wasn't a very
good likeness. :)

--Edwin E.