[Ranma/Pokemon][FanFic] Ryouga Gets Squirtled

Talen

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
My gaaaaaaaaawd. That's it, I give up. It's clear Mike has undergone some
amazing training that lets him write so utterly shite; he's even got a
special spellchecker that buggers up the punctuation for him, too.

Just, please, Mike, do us all a favour! Either stop writing or cut off your
hands! I'll help with both!

On 14 Jan 2000 16:32:10 GMT, micha...@hotmail.com wrote:

>You can find more Ranma and Ukyou fanfics(by myself and other authors)
>on my page(the cabernet sauvignon of Ranma romance sites)devoted to
>the Vegeta/Bulma of Rumiko Takahashi fandom(seriously).
>
>Mike Rhea
>Webmaster Of The Ranma and Ukyou Pages!
>http://rei.animenetwork.com/ranchan/
>
>Ukyou(referring to Ryouga):"That jackass!Stubborn as a mule and twice
>as stupid."
>Ranma: "Yea, whatever."-Ranma 1/2 OAV Series:One Grew Over The Kunou's
>Nest:"Oh, Cursed Tunnel of Lost Love! Let My Love Be Forever!"

Talen

Remove the b from .comb to e-mail
"Obtenez la Vache. Méfiez-vous du Fromage"
http://www.crosswinds.net/~kuroma/
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ksna/

Acey

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00

Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright flame
him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<

--
*** Ace ***

http://jsa.users.fl.net.au
-

Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

Talen

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:53:25 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright flame
>him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
>written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<

*ahem* I can't say a lot about my *own* writing, as that would be blunt
egotism - not that that has stopped me before.

I was actually planning to follow this one up with an in-depth discussion
to Mike himself, but as Mike has insulted me elsewhere, I figured I should
lead in kind.

But since we're here, why not now:

1) It's okay to be an Ukyou fanboy, just don't be rabid about it;
2) Try think up a plot idea instead of just running with something that
came to you - you may have done this, but it doesn't seem it;
3) You put spaces after commas and periods.
4) You might just want to reread some of the manga to check the
characterisation.

That better, Acey?

Acey

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:53:25 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>

> >Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright
flame
> >him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
> >written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<
> >

> *ahem* I can't say a lot about my *own* writing, as that would be blunt
> egotism - not that that has stopped me before.

Oh? Fanfic legend are we? *_*

> I was actually planning to follow this one up with an in-depth discussion
> to Mike himself, but as Mike has insulted me elsewhere, I figured I should
> lead in kind.
>
> But since we're here, why not now:
>
> 1) It's okay to be an Ukyou fanboy, just don't be rabid about it;
> 2) Try think up a plot idea instead of just running with something that
> came to you - you may have done this, but it doesn't seem it;
> 3) You put spaces after commas and periods.
> 4) You might just want to reread some of the manga to check the
> characterisation.
>
> That better, Acey?
>

> Talen

Better ... I just objected to the pretty mean way you criticised his writing
earlier and the 'holier than thou' attitude.

Anyway, a thing that turned out good about his writing was Megane's MST of
"Okonomiyaki Summer". That was pretty funny... =P

Acey

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message
> Talen's written some damn good stuff. Go to his web site and check it out.

I took a peek. So that was him with the Akane Slayer stuff. To tell the
truth I'm not fond of crossovers like that and prefer straight-out vanilla
stuff. Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down the
author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could do
that =P

Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone "Zen-like"
at least. *_*

Besides, he's right on this one. Mike Rhea's writing is as about as far from
cabernet sauvignon as one can possibly get without coming out the other
side. His grammar is awful, his spelling worse, his characterization is
totally ludicrous, and his plots are like badly drawn soap opera.

It's okay to criticize his writing, but it starts getting mean when you tell
him to chop his hands off so he can't write anything more. =P. If you don't
like his writing no one's forcing you to read it...

--
*** Ace ***

http://jsa.users.fl.net.au
-

> Acey wrote:
>
> Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright
flame
> him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
> written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<

> --
> *** Ace ***
>
> http://jsa.users.fl.net.au
> -
>

> Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

> > My gaaaaaaaaawd. That's it, I give up. It's clear Mike has undergone
some
> > amazing training that lets him write so utterly shite; he's even got a
> > special spellchecker that buggers up the punctuation for him, too.
> >
> > Just, please, Mike, do us all a favour! Either stop writing or cut off
> your
> > hands! I'll help with both!
> >
> > On 14 Jan 2000 16:32:10 GMT, micha...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >You can find more Ranma and Ukyou fanfics(by myself and other
authors)
> > >on my page(the cabernet sauvignon of Ranma romance sites)devoted to
> > >the Vegeta/Bulma of Rumiko Takahashi fandom(seriously).
> > >
> > >Mike Rhea
> > >Webmaster Of The Ranma and Ukyou Pages!
> > >http://rei.animenetwork.com/ranchan/
> > >
> > >Ukyou(referring to Ryouga):"That jackass!Stubborn as a mule and twice
> > >as stupid."
> > >Ranma: "Yea, whatever."-Ranma 1/2 OAV Series:One Grew Over The
Kunou's
> > >Nest:"Oh, Cursed Tunnel of Lost Love! Let My Love Be Forever!"

Talen

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:17:53 GMT, brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>Talen's written some damn good stuff. Go to his web site and check it out.

I blush. #^^# Most of the stuff on said webpage, however, is magnamoniously
crap, IMO, especially MiR, which I wrote off watching 3 Ranma 1/2 animes,
the first three OAVs, before I even knew of Tarou.

>Besides, he's right on this one. Mike Rhea's writing is as about as far
>from cabernet sauvignon as one can possibly get without coming out the
>other side. His grammar is awful, his spelling worse, his characterization
>is totally ludicrous, and his plots are like badly drawn soap opera.

That's not the real gripe I have with it; he claims to accept criticisms
but not flames, and honest, non-flame statements in regards to his writings
or attitude have either been ignored or passed off as 'flames'. He doesn't
seem to care about anything but fanboyism, which is fair enough.

Heck, I've encouraged him to improve - and the MST of his more recent fic
contained a *lot* of *good* advice - some stuff about characterisations and
quite a few *really good* Ukyou fics; but Michael seems to ignore this - he
probably sees it as a flame.

I could witter on about justification, characterisation, or even
punctuation, but the fact of the matter is that Michael ignores everything
that isn't "Oh Mike, The Sun Shines Forth From Your Arse and Ukyou's
Nipples"; the first post was a semivain attempt at getting his attention
that his fics aren't brilliant.

Also, he blatantly trolls for votes for his fics, something that is to the
best of my knowledge a rather large breach of ettiquette. Not that I'm
immune to messing up Nettiquette, but nonetheless...

So; Michael - if you read this - and I doubt you will, I recommend the
following:

1) You have to break the Akane/Ranma bond *before* you can make the
Ryouga/Akane or Ranma/Ukyou bond. Examples of how to do this include
misunderstandings over potential sexual escapades (possibly instigated by
Shampoo or Nabiki) - in fact, misunderstandings are the only real way to
go.

2) CHECK YER PUNCTUATION!!!

3) You might want to heed the MST of the Ukyou fic you wrote recently. It
may help, all told.

Talen

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:02:55 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:53:25 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright
>flame
>> >him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
>> >written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<
>> >

>> *ahem* I can't say a lot about my *own* writing, as that would be blunt
>> egotism - not that that has stopped me before.
>
>Oh? Fanfic legend are we? *_*

Er, no, I'm not, which is why I *don't* make statements about my own
writing. About the only thing I dare claim about my writing is that I tend
to get my spelling right fairly often.

>> I was actually planning to follow this one up with an in-depth discussion
>> to Mike himself, but as Mike has insulted me elsewhere, I figured I should
>> lead in kind.
>>
>> But since we're here, why not now:
>>
>> 1) It's okay to be an Ukyou fanboy, just don't be rabid about it;
>> 2) Try think up a plot idea instead of just running with something that
>> came to you - you may have done this, but it doesn't seem it;
>> 3) You put spaces after commas and periods.
>> 4) You might just want to reread some of the manga to check the
>> characterisation.
>>
>> That better, Acey?
>>

>> Talen
>

>Better ... I just objected to the pretty mean way you criticised his writing
>earlier and the 'holier than thou' attitude.

Considering Mike's reactions to me as a person, I think it was fairly
justified...

>Anyway, a thing that turned out good about his writing was Megane's MST of
>"Okonomiyaki Summer". That was pretty funny... =P

This is true. ^_^

Talen

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:12:01 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

>> Talen's written some damn good stuff. Go to his web site and check it out.
>

>I took a peek. So that was him with the Akane Slayer stuff.

Uh, no, I'm helping that, but Dave writes the majority. I basically cover
Tarou, combat and some other stuff.

>To tell the
>truth I'm not fond of crossovers like that and prefer straight-out vanilla
>stuff.

Meh. If I like it, I like it, if it sucks, it sucks. Ranma Ichibunnoni I
found to be brilliant, and it's not that far from established continuity;
and in turn, despite the Ryouga/Ukyou thing, I like The Pursuit Of
Happiness and its attachments.

>Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down the
>author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could do
>that =P

Rhea *is* like Oscar. Short of renaming Ranma Mike, I don't see how he can
get worse.

'course, I only know of Oscar by repute...

>Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone "Zen-like"
>at least. *_*

? Who?

But I note that Rhea has flamed people for writing 'crap' fanfics - without
ever having *read* them.

>Besides, he's right on this one. Mike Rhea's writing is as about as far from
>cabernet sauvignon as one can possibly get without coming out the other
>side. His grammar is awful, his spelling worse, his characterization is
>totally ludicrous, and his plots are like badly drawn soap opera.
>>>>

>It's okay to criticize his writing, but it starts getting mean when you tell
>him to chop his hands off so he can't write anything more. =P. If you don't
>like his writing no one's forcing you to read it...

Nope, but RAAC's cluttered as it is - it took about two weeks or more for
Brother Of Mine part 1 to get through, and Horoscopes In Nerima hasn't hit
it yet.

Bryan

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Talen wrote in message <387ff030...@news.optusnet.com.au>...

>My gaaaaaaaaawd. That's it, I give up. It's clear Mike has undergone some
>amazing training that lets him write so utterly shite; he's even got a
>special spellchecker that buggers up the punctuation for him, too.

Just got back from RAAC to read this one--I got a chuckle out of it.

I wrote this one (see link below):

ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/pub/archive/anime-fan-works/Dominion/dominion.amg.leona-
bonaparte

then some time later, I wrote this one

ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/pub/archive/anime-fan-works/Miscellaneous/golgo13.lady-p
rofessional

With all due respects, do you see any improvements in my writing skills from
one to
the other. Talen, are you a published author to be able to *truly* discern
good writing from bad writing, you seem to be obsessing over mere technical
details rather than the author's attempt to tell a story. Perhaps this
piece was *deliberately* written this way for satirical purposes....

I tried to read FIRESTARTER by STEPHEN KING but couldn't get past page 40 or
so
as the story didn't do a thing for me.

On the anime fanfic front, I've read a number of them that were uniformly
good--some were *truly* outstanding stuff--some could have been published as
regular books if
the original copyright holders would consent to it. (we all know how likely
that is to happen...say for Nabiki Tendo to do something for somebody with
*ABSOLUTELY* no thought of a return favor). If your interested, my 'rated
fics' page is at: my web site
(see the bottomost sig for the URL).

>Just, please, Mike, do us all a favour! Either stop writing or cut off your
>hands! I'll help with both!

Barbaric--yet sarcastic.... =/

>On 14 Jan 2000 16:32:10 GMT, micha...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>You can find more Ranma and Ukyou fanfics(by myself and other authors)
>>on my page(the cabernet sauvignon of Ranma romance sites)devoted to
>>the Vegeta/Bulma of Rumiko Takahashi fandom(seriously).
>>
>>Mike Rhea
>>Webmaster Of The Ranma and Ukyou Pages!
>>http://rei.animenetwork.com/ranchan/
>>
>>Ukyou(referring to Ryouga):"That jackass!Stubborn as a mule and twice
>>as stupid."
>>Ranma: "Yea, whatever."-Ranma 1/2 OAV Series:One Grew Over The Kunou's
>>Nest:"Oh, Cursed Tunnel of Lost Love! Let My Love Be Forever!"
>

> Talen
>
> Remove the b from .comb to e-mail
> "Obtenez la Vache. Méfiez-vous du Fromage"
> http://www.crosswinds.net/~kuroma/
> http://www.crosswinds.net/~ksna/

Reply to brya...@hotmail.com as this is
a shared, spamblocked email address.

"At a certain point...at a certain price...one moves out of
the realm of soundtrack appreciation and into the realm of
mere financial speculation.."

Bryan

http://animania.iwarp.com/ entertainment site
e-Bay soundtrack CD links here minus the HTML crap!!!
Direct HTTP links to the contents of the RAAC Anime FTP site!

http://homepages.go.com/~bryamark/co-opp.htm business site

Acey

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

> Acey wrote:
>
> brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message
> > Talen's written some damn good stuff. Go to his web site and check it
out.
> I took a peek. So that was him with the Akane Slayer stuff. To tell the

> truth I'm not fond of crossovers like that and prefer straight-out
vanilla
> stuff. Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down

the
> author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could
do
> that =P
>

> He's done more than that one crossover.

Well, yeah, but that seemed to be his major work. He hasn't written *that*
many has he?

> On another subject, have you ever read anything by this Mike Rhea? Do so,
then give me your opinion on the matter.

Look, the point wasn't whether how good Mike Rhea's fics are, the point was
about flaming him because his fics were bad. There's a reason why that sort
of thing is banned on the FFML. Now you could do that here on usenet since
no one is going to 'ban' you for it, but it says a lot about your etiquette.

Anyway, I have actually read a tad of Rhea's work and I actually stopped
reading part way through the start as those type of stories aren't really my
thing. The most I've read is from an MST that Megane 6.7 wrote of one of his
stories... that was pretty funny so I guess at least something good came out
of it *_*

> Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone
"Zen-like"
> at least. *_*
> >>>

> Besides, he's right on this one. Mike Rhea's writing is as about as far
from
> cabernet sauvignon as one can possibly get without coming out the other
> side. His grammar is awful, his spelling worse, his characterization is
> totally ludicrous, and his plots are like badly drawn soap opera.
> >>>

> It's okay to criticize his writing, but it starts getting mean when you
tell
> him to chop his hands off so he can't write anything more. =P. If you
don't
> like his writing no one's forcing you to read it...
>

> Excuse me? I wasn't telling him to chop his hands off. That's stupid.

Well actually, if you read to what I was replying to more clearly you'll see
that *Talen* was the one who made that particular comment. Just scroll down
a bit and you'll see it.

>I said that he's a bad writer and that he should stop billing himself as
the cabernet sauvignon of >fanfiction.

Yeah, but the thing is, I was talking to Talen... as for Rhea billing
himself as whatever ... care to quote?

>Anyone with that kind of an inflated ego and that bad writing deserves to
be critiqued. After >all, the >point of writing for an audience is to have
the audience respond.

There's a difference between "critique" and "flaming" *_*

Lates,

--
*** Ace ***

http://jsa.users.fl.net.au
-

> > Acey wrote:
> >
> > Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to
outright
> flame
> > him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have
*you*
> > written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<

> > --
> > *** Ace ***
> >
> > http://jsa.users.fl.net.au
> > -
> >

> > Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

> > > My gaaaaaaaaawd. That's it, I give up. It's clear Mike has
undergone
> some
> > > amazing training that lets him write so utterly shite; he's even
got a
> > > special spellchecker that buggers up the punctuation for him, too.
> > >

> > > Just, please, Mike, do us all a favour! Either stop writing or cut
off
> > your
> > > hands! I'll help with both!

Acey

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:12:01 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>

> >brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message
> >> Talen's written some damn good stuff. Go to his web site and check it
out.

> >I took a peek. So that was him with the Akane Slayer stuff.
>
> Uh, no, I'm helping that, but Dave writes the majority. I basically cover
> Tarou, combat and some other stuff.

Oh ... okay then.

> >To tell the
> >truth I'm not fond of crossovers like that and prefer straight-out
vanilla
> >stuff.
>

> Meh. If I like it, I like it, if it sucks, it sucks. Ranma Ichibunnoni I
> found to be brilliant, and it's not that far from established continuity;
> and in turn, despite the Ryouga/Ukyou thing, I like The Pursuit Of
> Happiness and its attachments.

For me there's certain genres which have just gotten too boring. I mean
there's only so many times I can read about Akane and Ranma's love before I
fall asleep. Takahashi does it best I guess. Nowadays, it's usually only the
'unusual couple' Ranma fics that can hold my interest. Say ... on the lines
of Ranma-chan and Ryoga. Heh.

As for the x-over thing, I've just found that more often than not, vanilla
series fics tend out to be the best and that's why I said what I did.

> >Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down the
> >author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could do
> >that =P
>

> Rhea *is* like Oscar. Short of renaming Ranma Mike, I don't see how he can
> get worse.

Oh, I've read Rhea's work. He is absolutely nothing like Oscar. Oscar's in a
league of his own. Well, I guess maybe the grammar might be similar, but
Oscar's got him beat in that department as well.

> 'course, I only know of Oscar by repute...

You haven't actually read any of Oscar's 'work'?

> >Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone
"Zen-like"
> >at least. *_*
>

> ? Who?

You mean, you don't know who wrote, "The Bitter End?" *_*

> But I note that Rhea has flamed people for writing 'crap' fanfics -
without
> ever having *read* them.

Really? Well, if I saw any such thing like that then I would have said
something too. Anyway there's no need to stoop down to each other's level.

> >Besides, he's right on this one. Mike Rhea's writing is as about as far
from
> >cabernet sauvignon as one can possibly get without coming out the other
> >side. His grammar is awful, his spelling worse, his characterization is
> >totally ludicrous, and his plots are like badly drawn soap opera.
> >>>>

> >It's okay to criticize his writing, but it starts getting mean when you
tell
> >him to chop his hands off so he can't write anything more. =P. If you
don't
> >like his writing no one's forcing you to read it...
>

> Nope, but RAAC's cluttered as it is - it took about two weeks or more for
> Brother Of Mine part 1 to get through, and Horoscopes In Nerima hasn't hit
> it yet.

Really? Maybe it's just your moderator. I've found that whenever I sent
something in, it seemed to be up the next day...

Neways... I've actually found the FFML to be better than RAAC if you're
fishing around for C&C (I mean, probably more than half the people who read
RAAC are probably on the FFML already anyway). Or heck, even webpages if
your page is popular enough already.

Acey

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:02:55 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>
> >Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

> >flame
> >> >

> >> *ahem* I can't say a lot about my *own* writing, as that would be blunt
> >> egotism - not that that has stopped me before.
> >
> >Oh? Fanfic legend are we? *_*
>
> Er, no, I'm not, which is why I *don't* make statements about my own
> writing. About the only thing I dare claim about my writing is that I tend
> to get my spelling right fairly often.

Oh, I assumed you did from what you said above... =P

> >> I was actually planning to follow this one up with an in-depth
discussion
> >> to Mike himself, but as Mike has insulted me elsewhere, I figured I
should
> >> lead in kind.
> >>
> >> But since we're here, why not now:
> >>
> >> 1) It's okay to be an Ukyou fanboy, just don't be rabid about it;
> >> 2) Try think up a plot idea instead of just running with something that
> >> came to you - you may have done this, but it doesn't seem it;
> >> 3) You put spaces after commas and periods.
> >> 4) You might just want to reread some of the manga to check the
> >> characterisation.
> >>
> >> That better, Acey?
> >>

> >> Talen
> >

> >Better ... I just objected to the pretty mean way you criticised his
writing
> >earlier and the 'holier than thou' attitude.
>
> Considering Mike's reactions to me as a person, I think it was fairly
> justified...

Maybe. I just seemed to have only caught the posts with you insulting him to
hell and back... *_*

> >Anyway, a thing that turned out good about his writing was Megane's MST
of
> >"Okonomiyaki Summer". That was pretty funny... =P
>
> This is true. ^_^

At least he was 'prolific' enough of a writer to get MSTed by M 6.7. =P.
That's better than being a writer that didn't get any notice at all...

Puma Twins

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

>> 'course, I only know of Oscar by repute...
>
>You haven't actually read any of Oscar's 'work'?

You say this as if it's a BAD thing. I remember being stupid at one time and
hearing how bad they were yet never believing it. I even joined the FFML
because I heard he posted there (Ugh too much e-mail!!!) Two of his works were
enough for me to just give up completely on Fanfiction for a few years... I've
just started reading stuff here and there now, but that's only because a few of
my friends write. :p

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Andrew Huang

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
"Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright flame
>him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
>written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<

Not up to par? That is...an understatement.
Also, this _is_ Usenet. Since when have newsgroups been a fun and
happy place? :)
Moreover...do literary critics themselves write novels? Some do, I
guess, but not most. What matters here, in this case, is that you're
intelligent and capable of analysis and critique. Y'all remember
Taleswapper? He was respected back in his day; he'd be respected were
he to return now. He never wrote fics himself, but he presented a
smart, clear, thoughtful opinion in his reviews (whether you agreed or
disagreed with him).
That being said--may I present my opinion? I've been called a Big
Name Author (BNA), so maybe that should give me some extra credentials
with you. Evanjellydonut, and my Asuka-Shinji continuity. Take it as
you will.
Mike Rhea is a bad, bad writer. If you didn't see it earlier--I
objected to his naming me an inspiration for him, because I don't want
to be associated with him. To me, that wasn't an honor, it was an
embarassment. He also named an old, not-so-good fic of mine as the
inspiration, plus specifically associated it with a lemon fic of his.
First point, I'm the Pure Young Lad. Second point, I've been told that
lemon fic of his portrayed Ukyou as, more or less, a slut. Granted,
this is hearsay, but I do trust the opinion of these people. They
can't understand how he thought this lemon was edifying to Ukyou.
Why is he a bad writer? Beyond spelling and grammar, which should
speak for themselves, there's the problem of his characterization. And
plots. Let's take how he puts Ukyou and Ranma together. The sound
*splat* comes to mind, because he basically just throws them two
together without a thought. He ignores the fact that Ranma really
cares about Akane, the fact that there's a lot of problems still
existing between Ranma and Ukyou. Nope, Ranma just has an epiphany,
drops Akane like a hot potato covered in poisoned spikes, and leaps
into Ukyou's waiting arms. Meanwhile, Akane is the psychobitch fresh
from the mouth of Hades. The other characters are barely there,
somehow less than the two-dimensional cardboard cutouts that he's
turned the aforementioned characters into.
Style? This one's a little harder to demonstrate, since I just
couldn't bear to read too much of his stuff. But, let me see...in one
of his fics, I recall him having Ranma and Ukyou 'kissing
passionately' about every third sentence. Okay, so that's a bit of an
exaggeration, but the man lacks imagination. Terribly. His prose is
stale; it does nothing to provoke the reader's mind into visualising a
scene. The dialogue is trite and unmemorable. The overall effect is
very wince-inducing.
This man is, again, a bad writer. Cabernet sauvignon? Only if that's
French for 'extraordinarily questionable'. He does have Zen's _Long
and Winding Road_ on his page, which does indeed raise the general
quality of things on his page, but his own fics-- heck, his own
presence--sends it plummeting back down through the depths and out the
other side.
I'm an Ukyou fan, no question; she's my favorite character from
Ranma. Sometimes, though, I really wonder if I should let others know
that, because they way it groups me with certain people. Ahem.
--
Andrew Huang...Nerdboy@KawaiiMUCK, ICQ UIN: 30809640
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~alhuang/

Andrew Huang

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Acey <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

--
Andrew Huang...Nerdboy@KawaiiMUCK; ICQ UIN: 30809640

Andrew Huang

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
"Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

Andrew Huang...Nerdboy@KawaiiMUCK, ICQ UIN: 30809640

Andrew Huang

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

Disruptor

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Acey wrote:

> Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:02:55 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message
> Maybe. I just seemed to have only caught the posts with you insulting him to
> hell and back... *_*
>

> > >Anyway, a thing that turned out good about his writing was Megane's MST
> of
> > >"Okonomiyaki Summer". That was pretty funny... =P
> >
> > This is true. ^_^
>
> At least he was 'prolific' enough of a writer to get MSTed by M 6.7. =P.
> That's better than being a writer that didn't get any notice at all...
That's not really a good thing. M 6.7's MSTings include the infamous
'Artemis' Lover' by Oscar Martinez. Which has been billed as the most
vile, degenrate fic on the internet.

Andrew Huang

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Yuck, looks like my news server burped. Sorry about the multiple
posts.

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote in message

Hey, I thought they were good for a laugh =D. I actually think that at least
one might be worth reading just to see what NOT to do when writing fanfic.
To this day, I still wonder whether Oscar wrote 'its' stuff deliberately bad
or that was just what he liked to write...

Lates,

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Disruptor <math...@gte.net> wrote in message news:3881D9...@gte.net...

Well ... some would arguably want notice, no matter where it came from.
Mike's achieved fame out of this ^_^;; Although, maybe it wouldn't be fame
that he wanted, but it's fame *_*.

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Andrew Huang <alh...@hcs.harvard.edu> wrote in message

> "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>

> >Geez. His writing may not be up to par but you don't have to outright
flame
> >him over it on usenet. It's just rude and mean. Anyway, what have *you*
> >written that makes you such an authority on fanfiction? >_<
> Not up to par? That is...an understatement.

Hey ... there could be some people who enjoy his works out there. Well, not
me, since I'm a hard reader to please anyway, but there could be 'someone.'
^_^

> Also, this _is_ Usenet. Since when have newsgroups been a fun and
> happy place? :)

Well, sometimes I try to do my part to stick up for the underdog... (one who
I think has been treated unfairly).

> Moreover...do literary critics themselves write novels? Some do, I
> guess, but not most. What matters here, in this case, is that you're
> intelligent and capable of analysis and critique. Y'all remember
> Taleswapper? He was respected back in his day; he'd be respected were
> he to return now. He never wrote fics himself, but he presented a
> smart, clear, thoughtful opinion in his reviews (whether you agreed or
> disagreed with him).
> That being said--may I present my opinion? I've been called a Big
> Name Author (BNA), so maybe that should give me some extra credentials
> with you. Evanjellydonut, and my Asuka-Shinji continuity. Take it as
> you will.

Righto. Anyways, the 'credentials' don't really matter, it's just that what
I read came across as some 'big-shot'

> Mike Rhea is a bad, bad writer.

<snip Mike's glorious author assessment ^_^;; >

> I'm an Ukyou fan, no question; she's my favorite character from
> Ranma. Sometimes, though, I really wonder if I should let others know
> that, because they way it groups me with certain people. Ahem.

Well, out of all that, you weren't actually flaming him personally. Say,
like telling him to go maim himself so that he can't write anymore. I have
no problem with honest bad critiques, it's just that reading someone flame
someone because of fanfics they don't like leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

> --
> Andrew Huang...Nerdboy@KawaiiMUCK, ICQ UIN: 30809640
> http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~alhuang/
> Harvard Anime Society, President
> "Mweh. Heh. Heh."

Lates!

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Woops. Forgot this bit.

> Yeah, but the thing is, I was talking to Talen... as for Rhea billing
> himself as whatever ... care to quote?
>

> >You can find more Ranma and Ukyou fanfics(by myself and other authors)
> >on my page(the cabernet sauvignon of Ranma romance sites)devoted to
> >the Vegeta/Bulma of Rumiko Takahashi fandom(seriously).
> >
> >Mike Rhea
> >Webmaster Of The Ranma and Ukyou Pages!

Well, it doesn't actually look like that he was billing his own fics as the
best. It just looks like he was advertising for his webpage. He does have
other fics on there too besides his own so maybe he thinks that the
collection is quite good. If it has Zen's Long and winding road then that's
a step in the right direction.

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> In retrospect, Talen did go a bit to far. Still, writing for an audience
risks critique. If one is very bad, one will get flamed.

Well, do you think that's acceptable? For eg. Just say I was a 12 year old
kid with hopes of being an author and I wrote a fanfic. Then someone
thirty-something comes along, sees that it's bad and tells me, "Stop writing
you idiot or I'll stop you myself."

<snippy tom>

> >Anyone with that kind of an inflated ego and that bad writing deserves
> be critiqued. After >all, the >point of writing for an audience is to
have
> the audience respond.
> There's a difference between "critique" and "flaming" *_*
>

> Yes, but really bad writing calls for really bad reviews.

But does it call for personal flames?

> Lates,

Talen

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:15:51 GMT, brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>In retrospect, Talen did go a bit to far. Still, writing for an audience
>risks critique. If one is very bad, one will get flamed.

Why bother *not* stating my mind? He's not paying attention to the most
basic criticism, he doesn't listen at all - so what I say isn't going to
affect him, and it voices *my* opinion quite perfectly.

Talen

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:53:25 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:12:01 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>>

>> >brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

>out.
>> >
>> >I took a peek. So that was him with the Akane Slayer stuff.
>>
>> Uh, no, I'm helping that, but Dave writes the majority. I basically cover
>> Tarou, combat and some other stuff.
>
>Oh ... okay then.

*shrug* You'll find the fics I've written a bit more recently on the 'me'
section of the first page. I've not been at it this long.

And why, I ask, does my writing skill come into it? I thought I was talking
about Mike.

>> Meh. If I like it, I like it, if it sucks, it sucks. Ranma Ichibunnoni I
>> found to be brilliant, and it's not that far from established continuity;
>> and in turn, despite the Ryouga/Ukyou thing, I like The Pursuit Of
>> Happiness and its attachments.
>
>For me there's certain genres which have just gotten too boring. I mean
>there's only so many times I can read about Akane and Ranma's love before I
>fall asleep. Takahashi does it best I guess. Nowadays, it's usually only the
>'unusual couple' Ranma fics that can hold my interest. Say ... on the lines
>of Ranma-chan and Ryoga. Heh.

Old and overdone. Ukyou/Tarou, Ranko/Ryuu or Kodachi/Akane are the more
interesting ones I've seen.

>As for the x-over thing, I've just found that more often than not, vanilla
>series fics tend out to be the best and that's why I said what I did.

That's because they're the easiest to get good characterisations in. Anime
*or* Manga.

>> >Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down the
>> >author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could do
>> >that =P
>>
>> Rhea *is* like Oscar. Short of renaming Ranma Mike, I don't see how he can
>> get worse.
>
>Oh, I've read Rhea's work. He is absolutely nothing like Oscar. Oscar's in a
>league of his own. Well, I guess maybe the grammar might be similar, but
>Oscar's got him beat in that department as well.

I meant he was like Oscar in that they were both bad and apparently
unrepentant.

>> 'course, I only know of Oscar by repute...
>
>You haven't actually read any of Oscar's 'work'?

Nope. I've been unable to find it.

>> >Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone
>"Zen-like"
>> >at least. *_*
>>
>> ? Who?
>
>You mean, you don't know who wrote, "The Bitter End?" *_*

No, I haven't. I've been at this for maybe seven months tops.

>> But I note that Rhea has flamed people for writing 'crap' fanfics - without
>> ever having *read* them.
>
>Really? Well, if I saw any such thing like that then I would have said
>something too. Anyway there's no need to stoop down to each other's level.

Er, I'm not stooping to his level. I was voicing my opinion. I was voicing
it in a way I knew it would not be offensive (since he will disregard
whatever I say). I was also voicing it in an extreme way I am prone to do.
I'm sure there are people here who can dredge up memories of my
over-the-top statements which are to be taken with a grain of salt.

>> Nope, but RAAC's cluttered as it is - it took about two weeks or more for
>> Brother Of Mine part 1 to get through, and Horoscopes In Nerima hasn't hit
>> it yet.
>
>Really? Maybe it's just your moderator. I've found that whenever I sent
>something in, it seemed to be up the next day...

My moderater is, I'll grant, renowned shite. I've posted to RAAM and nobody
can hear me. >_<

>Neways... I've actually found the FFML to be better than RAAC if you're
>fishing around for C&C (I mean, probably more than half the people who read
>RAAC are probably on the FFML already anyway). Or heck, even webpages if
>your page is popular enough already.

It's got 854 hits, but I dunno what that counts for since the counter isn't
IP dependent, so anyone going from the 'art' page to the Tarou page gets a
hit.

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> Acey wrote:
>
> brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> > In retrospect, Talen did go a bit to far. Still, writing for an
audience
> risks critique. If one is very bad, one will get flamed.
> Well, do you think that's acceptable? For eg. Just say I was a 12 year
old
> kid with hopes of being an author and I wrote a fanfic. Then someone
> thirty-something comes along, sees that it's bad and tells me, "Stop
writing
> you idiot or I'll stop you myself."
>

> Yeah, assuming that you took advice in order to improve your writing. Mike
Rhea doesn't do this; instead, he treats it as a personal attack. I've been
critized before, and I haven't thrown public tantrums.

So you'd call chopping off one's hands, advice? O_O;;

> <snippy tom>
> > >Anyone with that kind of an inflated ego and that bad writing
deserves
> > be critiqued. After >all, the >point of writing for an audience is
> have
> > the audience respond.
> > There's a difference between "critique" and "flaming" *_*
> >

> > Yes, but really bad writing calls for really bad reviews.
>
> But does it call for personal flames?
>

> Did we say anything about his personal life? No. We said that his writing
is awful.

Personal life? I think you're a bit confused. Personal flames are direct
insults against the author.

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:53:25 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>
> >Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote in message

> >out.

> >> Uh, no, I'm helping that, but Dave writes the majority. I basically
cover
> >> Tarou, combat and some other stuff.
> >
> >Oh ... okay then.
>
> *shrug* You'll find the fics I've written a bit more recently on the 'me'
> section of the first page. I've not been at it this long.
>
> And why, I ask, does my writing skill come into it? I thought I was
talking
> about Mike.

I guess I was expecting that to talk that big, you actually had to be big...
=|

> >As for the x-over thing, I've just found that more often than not,
vanilla
> >series fics tend out to be the best and that's why I said what I did.
>
> That's because they're the easiest to get good characterisations in. Anime
> *or* Manga.

Great characterisations doesn't automatically mean a stellar fic. It could
have awesome characterisations and be as boring as hell...

Anyways, I'll admit that it takes great skill to make an x-over work good.
But it also takes great skill to write a great story in the first place...

<snap>

>Anyway, to talk down like that, I was expecting him to be someone
> >"Zen-like"
> >>
> >> ? Who?
> >
> >You mean, you don't know who wrote, "The Bitter End?" *_*
>
> No, I haven't. I've been at this for maybe seven months tops.

http://www.tass.org/fanfic/ranma.the-bitter-end

Can't believe if you've been at this fic stuff for so long and you haven't
read it...

Oh and it's not like I've been at this for so looong either. Probably about
1 1/2 years now. Although I haven't written any new Ranma stuff lately,
although I'm trying to find the time.

<snap>

> >Really? Maybe it's just your moderator. I've found that whenever I sent
> >something in, it seemed to be up the next day...
>
> My moderater is, I'll grant, renowned shite. I've posted to RAAM and
nobody
> can hear me. >_<

Do you post your stuff directly through usenet or email it to them? I
usually emailed it to them because it never got through when I posted it.
Probably coz my news server sucks.

> >Neways... I've actually found the FFML to be better than RAAC if you're
> >fishing around for C&C (I mean, probably more than half the people who
read
> >RAAC are probably on the FFML already anyway). Or heck, even webpages if
> >your page is popular enough already.
>
> It's got 854 hits, but I dunno what that counts for since the counter
isn't
> IP dependent, so anyone going from the 'art' page to the Tarou page gets a
> hit.

Well, it's good to have all your works archived on a page, but I guess it's
still best to go with the FFML if what you want most is C&C.

Andrew Huang

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
"Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

>> In retrospect, Talen did go a bit to far. Still, writing for an audience
>risks critique. If one is very bad, one will get flamed.
>

>Well, do you think that's acceptable? For eg. Just say I was a 12 year old
>kid with hopes of being an author and I wrote a fanfic. Then someone
>thirty-something comes along, sees that it's bad and tells me, "Stop writing
>you idiot or I'll stop you myself."

The thing is....
Now, if I'm recalling my facts correctly from my random webpage
wandering when this whole mess started up, Mike Rhea is 23 years old.
Talen is 16 years old.
To be honest, it rather scared me to realize that a guy two years
older than myself would be writing stuff of that quality. Until then,
I had thought that maybe he _was_ just 12 years old...though,
considering his fervor over the Ranma and Ukyou relationship, I did up
that estimate to around 15 or 16--I don't know of too many kids 12
years old who hold such strong convictions on fictional couples.
See, that's the other thing which really bothers me about Rhea. His
lack of maturity astounds me. He honestly hates people like, e.g.,
Sean Gaffney. For what? Killing off a fictional character. Sure, I'm
not too happy when Ukyou dies in such a manner, but honestly, Rhea
takes it far too seriously. He all but calls down everlasting curses
on the people who he knows have done harm to his great goddess Ukyou
(or knows hearsay about doing so). It's distressing.
This immaturity also shows through in his writing, of course. Again,
as I mentioned in the other post, he has no concept of realistic
relationships. Ranma and Ukyou together forever just because he likes
the idea; he doesn't build them up together.
I _do_ wish he'd stop writing fanfiction. Unless he wised up and
learned some good style and understood what characterization and
decent plot were...but I have this odd feeling that such would be
wishing for more than is reasonable.

Andrew Huang

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
"Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>> Not up to par? That is...an understatement.
>
>Hey ... there could be some people who enjoy his works out there. Well, not
>me, since I'm a hard reader to please anyway, but there could be 'someone.'
>^_^

Gosh. And I like to think that _I'm_ a charitable sort of guy. :>

>> Also, this _is_ Usenet. Since when have newsgroups been a fun and
>> happy place? :)
>
>Well, sometimes I try to do my part to stick up for the underdog... (one who
>I think has been treated unfairly).

While I suppose Talen should have backed himself up a little more
originally, I don't at all think that pleas for him to stop writing
are undeserved.

>> That being said--may I present my opinion? I've been called a Big
>> Name Author (BNA), so maybe that should give me some extra credentials
>> with you. Evanjellydonut, and my Asuka-Shinji continuity. Take it as
>> you will.
>
>Righto. Anyways, the 'credentials' don't really matter, it's just that what
>I read came across as some 'big-shot'

Would you have allowed me to make similar comments, though? :)

>> Mike Rhea is a bad, bad writer.
>
><snip Mike's glorious author assessment ^_^;; >
>
>> I'm an Ukyou fan, no question; she's my favorite character from
>> Ranma. Sometimes, though, I really wonder if I should let others know
>> that, because they way it groups me with certain people. Ahem.
>

>Well, out of all that, you weren't actually flaming him personally. Say,
>like telling him to go maim himself so that he can't write anymore. I have
>no problem with honest bad critiques, it's just that reading someone flame
>someone because of fanfics they don't like leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Mwah. You should hear some of the private conversations about Rhea
that I've been in. :> I'll be courteous, though, and not share those
things said which would make Talen's comments seem like flowery praise
in comparison.
For now, at least.

Puma Twins

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
>> You say this as if it's a BAD thing. I remember being stupid at one time
>and
>> hearing how bad they were yet never believing it. I even joined the FFML
>> because I heard he posted there (Ugh too much e-mail!!!) Two of his works
>were
>> enough for me to just give up completely on Fanfiction for a few years...
>I've
>> just started reading stuff here and there now, but that's only because a
>few of
>> my friends write. :p
>>
>> -Matt
>> General Anime Fan
>

>Hey, I thought they were good for a laugh =D. I actually think that at least
>one might be worth reading just to see what NOT to do when writing fanfic.
>To this day, I still wonder whether Oscar wrote 'its' stuff deliberately bad
>or that was just what he liked to write...

From what he/she replied when people commented about his/her writing leads me
to believe that he/she thought it was good. That's what makes it even worse.
:P

If I felt like writing, I would put it out on the net unless I thought it was
at least okay. If it's crap, but I want someone to see it, I'll show it to my
friends who may find it funny. I will not torture 100's of people who know
nothing. For example, I've only written about 10 or 12 fictions. One or two
are Ranma, but I realized that they were mainly crap and only shared them with
a few of my friends who would enjoy the stories knowing my personality. The
good fiction that I have written (Samurai Shodown mainly) get's posted to a
video game forum where I get comments on how I could improve the works. You
know what, I actually listen to most of these comments unlike Oscar and, from
what I've heard so far, Mike Rhea.

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>
> >> Not up to par? That is...an understatement.
> >
> >Hey ... there could be some people who enjoy his works out there. Well,
not
> >me, since I'm a hard reader to please anyway, but there could be
'someone.'
> >^_^
> Gosh. And I like to think that _I'm_ a charitable sort of guy. :>

Hey, after what I've seen, it's not such a wild guess. I've read some fanfic
which I thought were really really bad, (bad grammar, cliched plot, bad
characterisations, boring story) but then next thing I see is some people
praising it. So I don't rule much out anymore...

> >> Also, this _is_ Usenet. Since when have newsgroups been a fun and
> >> happy place? :)
> >
> >Well, sometimes I try to do my part to stick up for the underdog... (one
who
> >I think has been treated unfairly).
> While I suppose Talen should have backed himself up a little more
> originally, I don't at all think that pleas for him to stop writing
> are undeserved.

My philosophy is just 'live and let live.' If someone doesn't like the
writing, they don't have to read it. Or if you're going to send death
threats, at least send it by private email. Everyone else doesn't have to
know about it *_*.

> >> That being said--may I present my opinion? I've been called a Big
> >> Name Author (BNA), so maybe that should give me some extra credentials
> >> with you. Evanjellydonut, and my Asuka-Shinji continuity. Take it as
> >> you will.
> >
> >Righto. Anyways, the 'credentials' don't really matter, it's just that
what
> >I read came across as some 'big-shot'
> Would you have allowed me to make similar comments, though? :)

Well, I would have said something to the effect of lightening up a bit
anyway. I believe in equal opportunity ^_^;; Neways, I don't really think
much of people who like to sing their own praises. People who always like to
sing other's praises gets tiring enough as it is *_*.

> >> Mike Rhea is a bad, bad writer.
> >
> ><snip Mike's glorious author assessment ^_^;; >
> >
> >> I'm an Ukyou fan, no question; she's my favorite character from
> >> Ranma. Sometimes, though, I really wonder if I should let others know
> >> that, because they way it groups me with certain people. Ahem.
> >

> >Well, out of all that, you weren't actually flaming him personally. Say,
> >like telling him to go maim himself so that he can't write anymore. I
have
> >no problem with honest bad critiques, it's just that reading someone
flame
> >someone because of fanfics they don't like leaves a bad taste in my
mouth...
> Mwah. You should hear some of the private conversations about Rhea
> that I've been in. :> I'll be courteous, though, and not share those
> things said which would make Talen's comments seem like flowery praise
> in comparison.
> For now, at least.

Private's just fine with me... it just doesn't 'look' good to have stuff
like SO AND SO IS A F*^%$#@! WRITER!!! all over RAAF etc etc.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
In article <38815fd7...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
Talen <tal...@optusnet.comb.au> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:12:01 +1100, "Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>>brewst <bre...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

>Meh. If I like it, I like it, if it sucks, it sucks.

Damn straight. Why are we all doing this if not for enjoyment?
If you are looking for enlightenment from fanfics...

>>Anyway, if I don't like a fanfic I'm not going to shove it down the
>>author's throat. It would have to be someone like Oscar before I could do
>>that =P
>Rhea *is* like Oscar. Short of renaming Ranma Mike, I don't see how he can
>get worse.

Well, now you've done it. (Omnious roll of thunder) And as a
bonus, you've given him a method =(

>'course, I only know of Oscar by repute...

That explains a lot. Public Service Announcement:

Please, oh decent people of the internet, I beseach you... NEVER
mention ... that person^H^H^H^H^H^Hmonster^H^H^H^H^H^H^H_thing_... again.
That infernal thing actually brought me to the point of vomitting when I
read the MSTing, for crying out loud. (And before anyone who hasn't read
this charges me with a weak stomach, here's my C.V.: I've taken a bunch
of medical/anatomy classes requiring disections, have watched people get
run over by cars (quite messy, and this was right in front of me), and
have gone to rotten.com without flinching.) I can only rank one artistic
horror as greater than The Foul One, and I will not foul this newsgroup
with it's name.

Anyways, bad grammar, spelling, and diction are forgivable (go to
an inner city school some time, and you'll see why). Bad
characterizations are easy enough - just read a few issues of the manga,
watch a bunch of the anime, and try to meld the two. You can reasonably
arrive at something "consistent" but very, very skewed. Shitty plots
(not to be confused with no plot) and the big no-no, "descration of a
classic," are what really irk me. The Foul One scores huge in that last
category.

Mike is horrible, from what I remember. However, this is all on a
highly relative scale. Mike is f***ing Shakespear Plato Descartes and
five other famous guys rolled into one when compared to The Foul One.
--
Shaun P. McIsaac "You know how Princeton has that Center for Advanced
(773) 834 - 6508 Studies? I want a Center for Basic Studies; you know,

Acey

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote in message
<snappy tom>

> >Hey, I thought they were good for a laugh =D. I actually think that at
least
> >one might be worth reading just to see what NOT to do when writing
fanfic.
> >To this day, I still wonder whether Oscar wrote 'its' stuff deliberately
bad
> >or that was just what he liked to write...
> >

> From what he/she replied when people commented about his/her writing leads
me
> to believe that he/she thought it was good. That's what makes it even
worse.
> :P

Who knows? Maybe some people emailed it, telling it that its works were very
good. Then it just ignored the bad ones...

> If I felt like writing, I would put it out on the net unless I thought it
was
> at least okay. If it's crap, but I want someone to see it, I'll show it
to my
> friends who may find it funny. I will not torture 100's of people who
know
> nothing.

Hey, it's their fault for reading it >=). For me, I don't agonise on whether
any of my fics are 'good' enough, if I liked it, I'll put it out. That
system's worked well enough so far.

For example, I've only written about 10 or 12 fictions. One or two
> are Ranma, but I realized that they were mainly crap and only shared them
with
> a few of my friends who would enjoy the stories knowing my personality.
The
> good fiction that I have written (Samurai Shodown mainly) get's posted to
> video game forum where I get comments on how I could improve the works.

SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).
Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;

You
> know what, I actually listen to most of these comments unlike Oscar and,
from
> what I've heard so far, Mike Rhea.

Well, to be fair, from what I've seen so far, most posts to Mike Rhea have
been outright inflammatory in nature and he was probably offended.
Naturally, you're not going to respond well under those conditions...

Puma Twins

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

>> From what he/she replied when people commented about his/her writing leads
>me
>> to believe that he/she thought it was good. That's what makes it even
>worse.
>> :P
>
>Who knows? Maybe some people emailed it, telling it that its works were very
>good. Then it just ignored the bad ones...

Yeah right. :P

>> If I felt like writing, I would put it out on the net unless I thought it
>was
>> at least okay. If it's crap, but I want someone to see it, I'll show it
>to my
>> friends who may find it funny. I will not torture 100's of people who
>know
>> nothing.
>
>Hey, it's their fault for reading it >=). For me, I don't agonise on whether
>any of my fics are 'good' enough, if I liked it, I'll put it out. That
>system's worked well enough so far.

Hell, I like all of my stuff, but I also realise what's crap when I read it.
Also there are times when I'll add in people I know. It may be cool for you
and other people that know them, but anyone else would be lost as to why
something you wrote was funny.

> For example, I've only written about 10 or 12 fictions. One or two
>> are Ranma, but I realized that they were mainly crap and only shared them
>with
>> a few of my friends who would enjoy the stories knowing my personality.
>The
>> good fiction that I have written (Samurai Shodown mainly) get's posted to
>> video game forum where I get comments on how I could improve the works.
>
>SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
>Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).

I did a few Street Fighter ones, but the net's flooded with em' so I normally
don't bother. There are a few characters that don't get much attention like DJ
and E. Honda, but I don't really know about their background enough to write
about them.

That's the big problem that I have with Capcom, their back stories are so weak
that they are hard to write to sometimes.
Then there is the other end of the scale with the King of Fighters. The story
is so tight in that game that it makes it hard to insert anything too original.
About the only people who I can find to write for that series if Heavy D's
gang, Ikari Warriors and the Sakazaki's cuz I love em'. Iori and Kyo's stories
are hard to mess with and the same with Terry we know what he does with his
free time. :)

About the only other game I've wrote a few things for was Tekken and they are
mostly off base since I found out that Namco originally planned for Paul
Phoenix to be homosexual. I had him marrying Nina. ^^;;
The King and Xaioyu story worked though.

I many think of doing some Bio Hazard, but I'll wait until I finish 2 and 3. I
guess that my problem is that I hate to be too off base when I write something
while other people just don't care. :P

>Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;

Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street Fighter
Alpha anime. Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter timeline.
I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley interest me.
:) (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)

>You
>> know what, I actually listen to most of these comments unlike Oscar and,
>from
>> what I've heard so far, Mike Rhea.
>
>Well, to be fair, from what I've seen so far, most posts to Mike Rhea have
>been outright inflammatory in nature and he was probably offended.
>Naturally, you're not going to respond well under those conditions...

Maybe so. I don't know the history of this so I won't comment on it much
except to say that after a while he's going to look back on his work and
realize it's crap, but as long as he enjoy's it...

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <3882...@news.syd.fl.net.au>, Acey <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
>Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).
>Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;

Acey? Ace-ISM!? Well, they did give her a role in Sakura Ganbaru
(I am probably murdering the spelling).. too bad she was stuck in (the
quite bad) SFA3? When are all your fics finishing?

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <20000118010059...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,

Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:
>About the only other game I've wrote a few things for was Tekken and they are
>mostly off base since I found out that Namco originally planned for Paul
>Phoenix to be homosexual. I had him marrying Nina. ^^;;

Doh.

>>Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;

>Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street Fighter
>Alpha anime. Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter timeline.
>I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley interest me.
>:)

Karin is most definitely part of the SF timeline, which is:

SF1 - SFA2 - SFA3 - SuperSF2Turbo - SF3:3rd Strike.

The time difference between the main titles, SF1, SuperSF2Turbo, and
SF3:3s is the same as the real world dates... that is, the SF1 (86) to
Super SF2 Turbo gap is like 7 years, and SF2 - SF3 is 6 years. SFA2
*replaces* SFA1 in the continuity, just as SF2:WW, SF2:CE, SF2:HF and
Super SF2 all get replaced by Super SF2 Turbo. SFA3 takes place very
shortly before SuperSF2Turbo.

Oh... and before you have Alex marrying Ibuki or something... =)

> (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)

Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.

Acey

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac <spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

> In article <3882...@news.syd.fl.net.au>, Acey <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
> >
> >SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
> >Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).
> >Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;
>
> Acey? Ace-ISM!?

Oh no, I've been found out *_*. Still hang around alt.games.sf2? Last time I
was there, SFA3 was the game everyone so loved to hate. I'd probably come
back if I get hooked on another Capcom fighter, but there's been nothing
lately really.

Well, they did give her a role in Sakura Ganbaru
> (I am probably murdering the spelling)..

Actually, you got it right. Anyway, of course she got a role in there,
because that was where she was first created ^_^;; Unless you're speaking of
a Sakura Ganbaru! anime which I haven't heard of...

too bad she was stuck in (the
> quite bad) SFA3? When are all your fics finishing?

ASAP. I even have a Karin one that I'm working on - which has actually been
all outlined and everything, but just that I keep forgetting to flesh out.

I've just been behind because I've been so busy these last couple of weeks -
and I'm supposed to be on holiday. Of course FF8 (which I think is crapper
than FF7) and Star Ocean the 2nd story haven't been helping out either ...

Acey

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

> >> From what he/she replied when people commented about his/her writing
leads
> >me
> >> to believe that he/she thought it was good. That's what makes it even
> >worse.
> >> :P
> >
> >Who knows? Maybe some people emailed it, telling it that its works were
very
> >good. Then it just ignored the bad ones...
>
> Yeah right. :P

Well okay. I admit I was reaching there *_*

> >> If I felt like writing, I would put it out on the net unless I thought
it
> >was
> >> at least okay. If it's crap, but I want someone to see it, I'll show
it
> >to my
> >> friends who may find it funny. I will not torture 100's of people who
> >know
> >> nothing.
> >
> >Hey, it's their fault for reading it >=). For me, I don't agonise on
whether
> >any of my fics are 'good' enough, if I liked it, I'll put it out. That
> >system's worked well enough so far.
>
> Hell, I like all of my stuff, but I also realise what's crap when I read
it.

How can you like crap? Oh, I know what you mean. It's not crap for *you* but
it would be *crap* for the reader...

> Also there are times when I'll add in people I know. It may be cool for
you
> and other people that know them, but anyone else would be lost as to why
> something you wrote was funny.

I personally despise Self Insertions. Although I admit to having written one
in my entire fanfic lifetime. Although it was a parody of SI's and I was the
'bad' guy, so maybe that didn't count.

> > For example, I've only written about 10 or 12 fictions. One or two
> >> are Ranma, but I realized that they were mainly crap and only shared
them
> >with
> >> a few of my friends who would enjoy the stories knowing my personality.
> >The
> >> good fiction that I have written (Samurai Shodown mainly) get's posted
> >> video game forum where I get comments on how I could improve the works.
> >

> >SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
> >Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).
>

> I did a few Street Fighter ones, but the net's flooded with em' so I
normally
> don't bother. There are a few characters that don't get much attention
like DJ
> and E. Honda, but I don't really know about their background enough to
write
> about them.

Well ... relatively flooded against the other fighting game fics I guess.
Nothing can stand up to the water world that is Ranma and Sailor Moon ...
although I think maybe Pokemon may be catching up in that department...

> That's the big problem that I have with Capcom, their back stories are so
weak
> that they are hard to write to sometimes.

It just gives you more literary elbow movement ^_^. Some characters have a
good story though, but most are 2D cliched stuff I admit.

> Then there is the other end of the scale with the King of Fighters. The
story
> is so tight in that game that it makes it hard to insert anything too
original.
> About the only people who I can find to write for that series if Heavy
D's
> gang, Ikari Warriors and the Sakazaki's cuz I love em'. Iori and Kyo's
stories
> are hard to mess with and the same with Terry we know what he does with
his
> free time. :)

I tried to master KOF98 before, but then just lost interest (even though I
have it on emulator =P). As for Iori ... kill him, kill him! The shoto-scrub
of the KOF world.... as for KOF99, haven't really played it yet.

I guess if I had to write a KOF fic, it would probably be about Leona. And I
have no favourite male characters in that game either for some reason.
Probably because they all remind me of Ryu and Ken. Kyo's probably the best
male character design if I had to pick though. His flaming fists remind me a
bit of Fei Long and Karin which is good.

> About the only other game I've wrote a few things for was Tekken and they
are
> mostly off base since I found out that Namco originally planned for Paul
> Phoenix to be homosexual. I had him marrying Nina. ^^;;

> The King and Xaioyu story worked though.
>
> I many think of doing some Bio Hazard, but I'll wait until I finish 2 and
3. I
> guess that my problem is that I hate to be too off base when I write
something
> while other people just don't care. :P
>

> >Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;
>

> Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street
Fighter
> Alpha anime.

That is what I was talking about. She's not going to be in the Alpha anime.
Bah. Supposedly it's going to focus on the shoto-squad - Akuma, Ken, and
Ryu. Double bah!

Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter timeline.
> I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley
interest me.

> :) (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)

I'd like to see Ibuki though. Kunoichi's rule! I may write a Konatsu fic
some time. I wonder if there'd be any demmand for that sort of thing.

> >You
> >> know what, I actually listen to most of these comments unlike Oscar
and,
> >from
> >> what I've heard so far, Mike Rhea.
> >
> >Well, to be fair, from what I've seen so far, most posts to Mike Rhea
have
> >been outright inflammatory in nature and he was probably offended.
> >Naturally, you're not going to respond well under those conditions...
>
> Maybe so. I don't know the history of this so I won't comment on it much
> except to say that after a while he's going to look back on his work and
> realize it's crap, but as long as he enjoy's it...

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Of course some eyes would have to be
more biased than some, but hey...

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <3884...@news.syd.fl.net.au>, Acey <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:

>Shaun Patrick Mcisaac <spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> In article <3882...@news.syd.fl.net.au>, Acey <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
>> >SS, huh? Do you write any other fighting game fics ... say like Street
>> >Fighter? I write some of that too. Karin Kanzuki ... she's the best >=).
>> >Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;
>> Acey? Ace-ISM!?
>Oh no, I've been found out *_*. Still hang around alt.games.sf2? Last time I
>was there, SFA3 was the game everyone so loved to hate. I'd probably come

Hehe. You've probably missed out on the unblockable crossups, and
some of the more inventive VC BS (Ryu's 'everything wiffs'/'Daigo only'
VC, for example: j/s activate, then repeat [hadoken, hopkick, short HK]
until they're cornered. The entire combo wiffs except the fireballs. No
flips after the HK due to the fact that you are getting hit by the hadoken
at the exact same frame you could flip. Only one person has ever gotten
this thing off, world champion Daigo Umehara.

>back if I get hooked on another Capcom fighter, but there's been nothing
>lately really.

Yah, I've gone back to hunting down an alpha2 machine myself.

>Well, they did give her a role in Sakura Ganbaru
>> (I am probably murdering the spelling)..
>Actually, you got it right. Anyway, of course she got a role in there,
>because that was where she was first created ^_^;; Unless you're speaking of
>a Sakura Ganbaru! anime which I haven't heard of...

nope.

>too bad she was stuck in (the
>> quite bad) SFA3? When are all your fics finishing?
>
>ASAP. I even have a Karin one that I'm working on - which has actually been
>all outlined and everything, but just that I keep forgetting to flesh out.
>
>I've just been behind because I've been so busy these last couple of weeks -
>and I'm supposed to be on holiday. Of course FF8 (which I think is crapper
>than FF7) and Star Ocean the 2nd story haven't been helping out either ...

It's been downhill since FF6 IMO.

Frank Wustner

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
> Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:

> > (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)

> Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
> run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
> horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.

I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy
still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
record against each other is about 50-50.

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/

|-----------------------------------|
| "Never say 'bite me' to Shishio |
| Makoto." |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
In article <see-sig-1801...@user-33qti53.dialup.mindspring.com>,

Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
>> Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:
>
>> > (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)
>
>> Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
>> run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
>> horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.
>
>I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
>the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy
>still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
>record against each other is about 50-50.

I'm no slouch as far as Hugo goes. I can even execute a Gigas
breaker without jumping or doing a move first 8). I can do all of his
useful combos, and know what strategies to use against other characters...
And that's fine, but there gets to be a point where no matter *how*
good a player is, if another player who really knows his stuff is playing
a better character, the limitations of the character are going to put the
odds against the better player. This is particularly true with Elena, as
someone can take either Ryu or Akuma and more or less hit the forward and
roundhouse kick buttons randomly and defeat Elena. It's pretty sad, the
forward takes out about 90% of anything Elena does except air attacks, and
the roundhouse beats those. Hugo has similar problems against a few
characters (Akuma, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Alex in 2i, for example)...

Puma Twins

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
>> >Who knows? Maybe some people emailed it, telling it that its works were
>very
>> >good. Then it just ignored the bad ones...
>>
>> Yeah right. :P
>
>Well okay. I admit I was reaching there *_*

Just a bit, but I won't hold it against you. :)

>> Hell, I like all of my stuff, but I also realise what's crap when I read
>it.
>
>How can you like crap? Oh, I know what you mean. It's not crap for *you* but
>it would be *crap* for the reader...

Exactly. I know that I have a strange sense of humor and I don't always feel
like inflicting that on unsuspecting people. :)

>I personally despise Self Insertions. Although I admit to having written one
>in my entire fanfic lifetime. Although it was a parody of SI's and I was the
>'bad' guy, so maybe that didn't count.

Actually they aren't so much self insert fics as fics about my friends that
just happen to have anime characters in them. There's a big difference. I
don't put myself in the Ranma verse and make myself the God of fighting (or
even Dragonball powered ^_~).

>> I did a few Street Fighter ones, but the net's flooded with em' so I
>normally
>> don't bother. There are a few characters that don't get much attention
>like DJ
>> and E. Honda, but I don't really know about their background enough to
>write
>> about them.
>
>Well ... relatively flooded against the other fighting game fics I guess.
>Nothing can stand up to the water world that is Ranma and Sailor Moon ...
>although I think maybe Pokemon may be catching up in that department...

There's lots of SF fics out there. You just are looking at the wrong places...
Anime sites don't normally carry video game stories. :)

Of course it's not on the same level as Ranma, SM, Star Trek, or Highlander,
but not many things are. :p

>> That's the big problem that I have with Capcom, their back stories are so
>weak
>> that they are hard to write to sometimes.
>
>It just gives you more literary elbow movement ^_^. Some characters have a
>good story though, but most are 2D cliched stuff I admit.

Some meaning the Shoto group, Guile and Chun-li right? Not many other
characters are explored in Street Fighter. Hell I've found some great Dojinshi
about Karin, but there's nothing offical you can find about her except for a
few stats sheets. Compare that to Ken or Ryu... You can't.

>> Then there is the other end of the scale with the King of Fighters. The
>story
>> is so tight in that game that it makes it hard to insert anything too
>original.
>> About the only people who I can find to write for that series if Heavy
>D's
>> gang, Ikari Warriors and the Sakazaki's cuz I love em'. Iori and Kyo's
>stories
>> are hard to mess with and the same with Terry we know what he does with
>his
>> free time. :)
>
>I tried to master KOF98 before, but then just lost interest (even though I
>have it on emulator =P). As for Iori ... kill him, kill him! The shoto-scrub

Um... If you try to play him like a Shoto character, of course your going to
lose. He doesn't play like any of them. About the only people that do are Ryo
and Yuri Sakazaki and it's not fair to call them Shoto clones since they
predate ALL Street Fighter 2 characters except Ryu, Adon, Sagat, Charlie, and
Birdie. And most of these characters were either not playable or did not play
the same as they did in the original Fighting Streets game. If anything Ken is
a clone of Ryo and should be called a Kyokogen clone... But since street
fighter is more popular than Art of Fighting was... :P

>of the KOF world.... as for KOF99, haven't really played it yet.

Each KOF plays different from the previous years, so you probably wouldn't like
it. I found that KOF 95 played the most like Street Fighter 2 so that's
probably why it was so popular. Every year since that has been totally
different so people haven't liked it. I don't mind that I just mind when
people come up to me and ask why I like the Street Fighter clone when it's more
the other way around and Capcom knows it.

>I guess if I had to write a KOF fic, it would probably be about Leona. And I
>have no favourite male characters in that game either for some reason.

Well, since you're doing Leona, Ralf and Clark would be the obvious choices. :)

>Probably because they all remind me of Ryu and Ken. Kyo's probably the best
>male character design if I had to pick though. His flaming fists remind me a
>bit of Fei Long and Karin which is good.

Fei Long? You mean the Bruce Lee clone with the flaming kick? How can Kyo
remind you of him? Sorry but I just need to know.

>> >Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;
>>
>> Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street
>Fighter
>> Alpha anime.
>
>That is what I was talking about. She's not going to be in the Alpha anime.

That sucks. :p

But look on the bright side, they probably would have butchered her to the
point that you would have wished they had left her out (read Ryu, Ken, and just
about everyone else in SF2V besides Guile. Poor Nash got smacked about too.)

>Bah. Supposedly it's going to focus on the shoto-squad - Akuma, Ken, and
>Ryu. Double bah!

As always. Like I said they are the only character that get story in Capcom's
world. :)

>Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter timeline.
>> I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley
>interest me.
>> :) (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)
>
>I'd like to see Ibuki though. Kunoichi's rule! I may write a Konatsu fic
>some time. I wonder if there'd be any demmand for that sort of thing.

Hmm. I knew of a few good Ibuki and Sean fics, but I can't remember the page
that had them for the life of me. ^^;;

>Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Of course some eyes would have to be
>more biased than some, but hey...

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Puma Twins

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

>> > (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)
>
>> Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
>> run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
>> horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.
>
>I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
>the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy

Oh come on. You don't count Akuma the cheese master in the same catagory as
those two? It would be like saying "I'm good with Gill, Urien, and Ibuki" :P

>still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
>record against each other is about 50-50.

A very good percentage against Akuma. I'd probably like to play against this
guy.

The main problem I'd have with Hugo being in the anime is that they'ed probably
have him the backgroud doing repeated body splashes to Elena. Ugh, poor Elena.
:P

Now if they had him doing it to Necro I wouldn't complain as much. :)

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Puma Twins

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
>>About the only other game I've wrote a few things for was Tekken and they
>are
>>mostly off base since I found out that Namco originally planned for Paul
>>Phoenix to be homosexual. I had him marrying Nina. ^^;;
>
>Doh.

Hey, I was surprised as hell when I found that out. Well it didn't really
matter since I had Nina marry him because she found that to be the easiest way
to kill him...

>>>Damn Capcom for not including her in the anime ;_;
>>Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street Fighter

>>Alpha anime. Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter

>timeline.
>>I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley interest
>me.
>>:)
>

>Karin is most definitely part of the SF timeline, which is:

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that at the time when the Movie was made,
Karin wasn't around. Believe me, I know the Street Fighter time line well. :)

>SF1 - SFA2 - SFA3 - SuperSF2Turbo - SF3:3rd Strike.
>
>The time difference between the main titles, SF1, SuperSF2Turbo, and
>SF3:3s is the same as the real world dates... that is, the SF1 (86) to
>Super SF2 Turbo gap is like 7 years, and SF2 - SF3 is 6 years. SFA2
>*replaces* SFA1 in the continuity, just as SF2:WW, SF2:CE, SF2:HF and
>Super SF2 all get replaced by Super SF2 Turbo. SFA3 takes place very
>shortly before SuperSF2Turbo.
>
>Oh... and before you have Alex marrying Ibuki or something... =)

One mistake and it ruins your life forever. ;)
Nah, I don't think Alex would go for that anyway. :)

>> (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)
>
> Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
>run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
>horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.

Not too bad, if you were used to Zangeif. He was one of the few people that I
could beat SF3 with and get to Shin Gouki (the others being Dudley, Chun-li,
and Urien although I would not normally admit to playing him ^^;;) Then again,
I don't play the Shoto gang too much so I might be able to do it with them, but
I don't care to. Alex is another matter. I tend to lose to Ryu (but not Ken)
when I play with him. I don't know why. Ah well. :)

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Puma Twins

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
>>I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
>>the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy
>>still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
>>record against each other is about 50-50.
>
> I'm no slouch as far as Hugo goes. I can even execute a Gigas
>breaker without jumping or doing a move first 8). I can do all of his

Doh, I have to combo mine. ^^;;
Well sorta combo since they have to block ;)
I'll work on it though. :)

>useful combos, and know what strategies to use against other characters...
> And that's fine, but there gets to be a point where no matter *how*
>good a player is, if another player who really knows his stuff is playing
>a better character, the limitations of the character are going to put the

Which kinda sucks since they raise the Shoto group and Alex priority each game
and lower damn near everyone elses. I used to never lose with Dudley in the
first SF3, but now it's an uphill battle. :P

Then again Dudley was a cheap bastard in the original. :)

>odds against the better player. This is particularly true with Elena, as
>someone can take either Ryu or Akuma and more or less hit the forward and
>roundhouse kick buttons randomly and defeat Elena. It's pretty sad, the

Elena is very good against beginers however. She has the best high/low game.
Ryu's overhead is sorta slow and Ken's, although faster is not quite as useful.
The probelm is that they have the better all around game... Which pisses me
off. It's like they don't want to work on any other characters sometimes.

>forward takes out about 90% of anything Elena does except air attacks, and
>the roundhouse beats those. Hugo has similar problems against a few
>characters (Akuma, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Alex in 2i, for example)...

Hugo isn't as screwed as Elena. At least if a Yun, Yang, or Ibuki player makes
a mistake, you can make them hurt. Elena has Beat Dance, but it doesn't do
enough damage. It's better to just use healing (the mini resurection :)

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Acey

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

> Actually they aren't so much self insert fics as fics about my friends
that
> just happen to have anime characters in them. There's a big difference.
> don't put myself in the Ranma verse and make myself the God of fighting
(or
> even Dragonball powered ^_~).

As long as you don't couple yourself together with a certain cat ... and
disclose certain 'features' about your sexuality. @_@

> >> I did a few Street Fighter ones, but the net's flooded with em' so I
> >normally
> >> don't bother. There are a few characters that don't get much attention
> >like DJ
> >> and E. Honda, but I don't really know about their background enough to
> >write
> >> about them.
> >
> >Well ... relatively flooded against the other fighting game fics I guess.
> >Nothing can stand up to the water world that is Ranma and Sailor Moon ...
> >although I think maybe Pokemon may be catching up in that department...
>
> There's lots of SF fics out there. You just are looking at the wrong
places...
> Anime sites don't normally carry video game stories. :)

Well, when I used to be a complete SF fanatic, there weren't that many.
Trust me, I would've known =P.

> Of course it's not on the same level as Ranma, SM, Star Trek, or
Highlander,
> but not many things are. :p
>

> >> That's the big problem that I have with Capcom, their back stories are
so
> >weak
> >> that they are hard to write to sometimes.
> >
> >It just gives you more literary elbow movement ^_^. Some characters have
> >good story though, but most are 2D cliched stuff I admit.
>
> Some meaning the Shoto group, Guile and Chun-li right?

No, not really....

Not many other
> characters are explored in Street Fighter. Hell I've found some great
Dojinshi
> about Karin, but there's nothing offical you can find about her except for
> few stats sheets. Compare that to Ken or Ryu... You can't.

Karin was in Sakura Ganbaru! (the ! is part of the heading, I'm not shouting
at you =P). She's also appeared in various other mangas and other stuff (I'm
pretty sure from official sources). Go to http://i.am/karinsan and you can
check it out yourself... hmm, I hope that url still works.

> >> Then there is the other end of the scale with the King of Fighters.
The
> >story
> >> is so tight in that game that it makes it hard to insert anything too
> >original.
> >> About the only people who I can find to write for that series if Heavy
> >D's
> >> gang, Ikari Warriors and the Sakazaki's cuz I love em'. Iori and Kyo's
> >stories
> >> are hard to mess with and the same with Terry we know what he does with
> >his
> >> free time. :)
> >
> >I tried to master KOF98 before, but then just lost interest (even though
> >have it on emulator =P). As for Iori ... kill him, kill him! The
shoto-scrub

> Um... If you try to play him like a Shoto character, of course your going
> lose.

I don't play him at all. Anyway, the point was that Iori was a 'scrub'
character - meaning that scrub players naturally gravitated toward him =P.

>He doesn't play like any of them.

Let's see .... he has a fireball and an (almost invicible if not invincible)
uppercut. He is definitely in the shoto class imo, even if he does have some
other moves.

About the only people that do are Ryo
> and Yuri Sakazaki and it's not fair to call them Shoto clones since they
> predate ALL Street Fighter 2 characters except Ryu, Adon, Sagat, Charlie,
and
> Birdie.

Ryu was the original shoto ... naturally any character that is a shoto after
him would be shoto clones. Yes, even those made by Capcom =P.

And most of these characters were either not playable or did not play
> the same as they did in the original Fighting Streets game. If anything
Ken is
> a clone of Ryo and should be called a Kyokogen clone...

Wait, wasn't Ken in SF1? I'm pretty sure he is. SF1 predated AOF didn't it?
And anyway, since Ryo is a clone of Ryu, Ken would really only be a clone of
Ryu...

But since street
> fighter is more popular than Art of Fighting was... :P
>
> >of the KOF world.... as for KOF99, haven't really played it yet.
>
> Each KOF plays different from the previous years, so you probably wouldn't
like
> it. I found that KOF 95 played the most like Street Fighter 2 so that's
> probably why it was so popular. Every year since that has been totally
> different so people haven't liked it. I don't mind that I just mind when
> people come up to me and ask why I like the Street Fighter clone when it's
more
> the other way around and Capcom knows it.

Ah, KOF vs SF debate. I've learned to stay out of those =P. I'll just say
that KOF 97 and 98 felt almost exactly the same to me, and most of the
characters feel like shoto-clones. Shoto clone meaning, a character with a
fireball, and an uppercut type maneuvre - usually performed with QCF+P or
DP+P.

> >I guess if I had to write a KOF fic, it would probably be about Leona.
And I
> >have no favourite male characters in that game either for some reason.
>
> Well, since you're doing Leona, Ralf and Clark would be the obvious
choices. :)

Except I hate Ralf and Clark @_@. Their character designs just look bleh to
me.(Character designs for me, meaning how they play and what they look
like). Personally, I think Clark's signature grappling move just looks so
dumb...

> >Probably because they all remind me of Ryu and Ken. Kyo's probably the
best
> >male character design if I had to pick though. His flaming fists remind
me a
> >bit of Fei Long and Karin which is good.
>
> Fei Long? You mean the Bruce Lee clone with the flaming kick? How can
Kyo
> remind you of him? Sorry but I just need to know.

Kyo has the QCF + P, "Rekka-ken" type move just like Fei and Karin. I'm
afraid that's just about where the similarity ended though. Kyo also has a
"dragon punch" though which is a black mark against him.

> >> Hey, Dan wasn't in there either. Anyway she should be in the Street
> >Fighter
> >> Alpha anime.
> >
> >That is what I was talking about. She's not going to be in the Alpha
anime.

> That sucks. :p
>
> But look on the bright side, they probably would have butchered her to the
> point that you would have wished they had left her out (read Ryu, Ken, and
just
> about everyone else in SF2V besides Guile. Poor Nash got smacked about
too.)

Well if they if they used Nakahiro Masahiko's (Karin's creator) original
storyline then they couldn't go wrong...

> >Bah. Supposedly it's going to focus on the shoto-squad - Akuma, Ken, and
> >Ryu. Double bah!
>
> As always. Like I said they are the only character that get story in
Capcom's
> world. :)

Story? Shotos? Are you kidding? Ryu basically just travels around the place
beating up people. The 'Evil Intent' thing is cliched to hell and back. Ken
is Ryu's rich playboy 'rival' always seeking to beat him. And Akuma is just
some demon guy come to earth looking for a good fight.

> >Remember she isn't part of the regular Street Fighter timeline.
> >> I'd love to see a Street Fighter 3 anime as well. Alex and Dudley
> >interest me.
> >> :) (No Hugo PLEASE!!!!)
> >
> >I'd like to see Ibuki though. Kunoichi's rule! I may write a Konatsu fic
> >some time. I wonder if there'd be any demmand for that sort of thing.
>
> Hmm. I knew of a few good Ibuki and Sean fics, but I can't remember the
page
> that had them for the life of me. ^^;;

Yeah, but I don't like Sean =P. I find all shotos boring and repetitive...

Puma Twins

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
>> don't put myself in the Ranma verse and make myself the God of fighting
>(or
>> even Dragonball powered ^_~).
>
>As long as you don't couple yourself together with a certain cat ... and
>disclose certain 'features' about your sexuality. @_@

Well if you mean Natsuki from Hyper Police... Of course not!!! :)

>> There's lots of SF fics out there. You just are looking at the wrong
>places...
>> Anime sites don't normally carry video game stories. :)
>
>Well, when I used to be a complete SF fanatic, there weren't that many.
>Trust me, I would've known =P.

Well, I've gotten out of those circle, but I can ask around if you want to find
a page. Alot of the old (geocities) one's that I go to aren't there any more.
:p

>> Of course it's not on the same level as Ranma, SM, Star Trek, or
>Highlander,
>> but not many things are. :p
>>

>> >It just gives you more literary elbow movement ^_^. Some characters have
>> >good story though, but most are 2D cliched stuff I admit.
>>
>> Some meaning the Shoto group, Guile and Chun-li right?
>
>No, not really....
>
>Not many other
>> characters are explored in Street Fighter. Hell I've found some great
>Dojinshi
>> about Karin, but there's nothing offical you can find about her except for
>> few stats sheets. Compare that to Ken or Ryu... You can't.
>
>Karin was in Sakura Ganbaru! (the ! is part of the heading, I'm not shouting

She was in that? Hmm... I may have to find it now. :)

>at you =P). She's also appeared in various other mangas and other stuff (I'm
>pretty sure from official sources). Go to http://i.am/karinsan and you can
>check it out yourself... hmm, I hope that url still works.

Nice site. I think I've found a new background. :)

>> >I tried to master KOF98 before, but then just lost interest (even though
>> >have it on emulator =P). As for Iori ... kill him, kill him! The
>shoto-scrub
>>
>> Um... If you try to play him like a Shoto character, of course your going
>> lose.
>
>I don't play him at all. Anyway, the point was that Iori was a 'scrub'
>character - meaning that scrub players naturally gravitated toward him =P.

True. Add Kyo, Ryo, and Robert to that list then. ^_~

>>He doesn't play like any of them.
>
>Let's see .... he has a fireball and an (almost invicible if not invincible)
>uppercut. He is definitely in the shoto class imo, even if he does have some
>other moves.

Yes, but if you try to play him like a SF character, you're going to lose. You
can't rely completely on those two moves.

>Ryu was the original shoto ... naturally any character that is a shoto after
>him would be shoto clones. Yes, even those made by Capcom =P.

I wonder... When was the First Fatal Fury released? I can't remember.

>And most of these characters were either not playable or did not play
>> the same as they did in the original Fighting Streets game. If anything
>Ken is
>> a clone of Ryo and should be called a Kyokogen clone...
>
>Wait, wasn't Ken in SF1? I'm pretty sure he is. SF1 predated AOF didn't it?
>And anyway, since Ryo is a clone of Ryu, Ken would really only be a clone of
>Ryu...

Ken was in SF1 which came after AOF which came after Fighting Streets.
Fighting Streets predates the others by a few years if I remember correctly,
but SF1 and AOF came out about the same time with AOF winning out by a few
months. I can recheck, but I think this is about right.

>Ah, KOF vs SF debate. I've learned to stay out of those =P. I'll just say

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. ^_^

I like both of them about equal truthfully, but I hate that most SF only people
look down on people who play SNK fighters. Heck, I get onto their SF games and
beat them silly just to prove a point. It's not that I can't play the other
games, it's that I like to play a variety of games.

>that KOF 97 and 98 felt almost exactly the same to me, and most of the
>characters feel like shoto-clones. Shoto clone meaning, a character with a
>fireball, and an uppercut type maneuvre - usually performed with QCF+P or
>DP+P.

So how about Sei Kensou and Athena who have all reverse moves. ;)

>> Well, since you're doing Leona, Ralf and Clark would be the obvious
>choices. :)
>
>Except I hate Ralf and Clark @_@. Their character designs just look bleh to
>me.(Character designs for me, meaning how they play and what they look
>like). Personally, I think Clark's signature grappling move just looks so
>dumb...

The Clark Spark? Yeah it's dumb, but it hurts. I like Ralf myself just
because I like the Galactica Phantom (the DM when he knocks the crap outta
anyone who happens to be standing there). I didn't really play those guys
until 98 though. My original team was King, Billy, and Athena (or Kensou
depending). Goro Daimon was my backup cuz' I always have to have a grapple
character. I can't wait for SNK vs Capcom, but all they have in the game are
Shoto's and a few Grapplers (Big Bear?!? Why!!!). I can see my team's going to
be 'Geif and Guile already.

>> Fei Long? You mean the Bruce Lee clone with the flaming kick? How can
>Kyo
>> remind you of him? Sorry but I just need to know.
>
>Kyo has the QCF + P, "Rekka-ken" type move just like Fei and Karin. I'm
>afraid that's just about where the similarity ended though. Kyo also has a
>"dragon punch" though which is a black mark against him.

Heh, he was the original Shoto clone in KOF 94. I like how they changed him in
96, but most other people didn't.

>Well if they if they used Nakahiro Masahiko's (Karin's creator) original
>storyline then they couldn't go wrong...

Of course. :)

>> As always. Like I said they are the only character that get story in
>Capcom's
>> world. :)
>
>Story? Shotos? Are you kidding? Ryu basically just travels around the place
>beating up people. The 'Evil Intent' thing is cliched to hell and back. Ken

No argument there. :)

>is Ryu's rich playboy 'rival' always seeking to beat him. And Akuma is just

Not quite. He's more of Ryu's friend than just Rival. Plus he's not a playboy
any more... Remember he's married. :)

>some demon guy come to earth looking for a good fight.

Gouki demon? Hardly. In the American version maybe, but you should know
better. :) He's totally human, just with "EVIL" powers... Sort of like Ryu's
suppose to have. ^_^

BTW, when I say they are the only one's with story, I meant they are the only
ones who's stories you get to see over and over again other than Guile. I
wan't to know Geif's fully story dammit!!!

>> Hmm. I knew of a few good Ibuki and Sean fics, but I can't remember the
>page
>> that had them for the life of me. ^^;;
>>

>Yeah, but I don't like Sean =P. I find all shotos boring and repetitive...

Damn, even Sean gets no slack. What about Dan. Please don't hate Dan too. :)

I don't play Ken, Ryu, Sagat, or Gouki either, but I do play Dan. ;_;

Going into the EX series, how about that game. Damn near everyone is a
Shoto-clone. I only play Hokuto, C. Jack and Skullomania in that one. Not to
many non shoto options that are any good. :P

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
In article <20000119040930...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:
>>>I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
>>>the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy
>>>still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
>>>record against each other is about 50-50.
>> I'm no slouch as far as Hugo goes. I can even execute a Gigas
>>breaker without jumping or doing a move first 8). I can do all of his
>Doh, I have to combo mine. ^^;;
>Well sorta combo since they have to block ;)
>I'll work on it though. :)

Try this: Universal overhead, gigas breaker. 2 hits, around 80%.

>>useful combos, and know what strategies to use against other characters...
>> And that's fine, but there gets to be a point where no matter *how*
>>good a player is, if another player who really knows his stuff is playing
>>a better character, the limitations of the character are going to put the
>Which kinda sucks since they raise the Shoto group and Alex priority each game
>and lower damn near everyone elses.

Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but
Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in
3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
(ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
more damaging and combos better.

> I used to never lose with Dudley in the first SF3, but now it's an
>uphill battle. :P Then again Dudley was a cheap bastard in the original.
>:)

Dudley "only" had three infinite damage combos in the original, and they
were hard to set up properly: (vs another dudley only) standing foward,
standing roundhouse, step towards opponent, repeat until dead. Also, vs
anyone, he can do the 26hit, in the corner only:

Low roundhouse, air fierce, fierce uppercut (1 hit), super uppercut (3
hits or this won't work), fierce uppercut (1 hit), super uppercut (3
hits), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), jab
machine gun blow (1 hit), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), dashing uppercut
(use forward kick, 2 hits IIRC), repeat dashing uppercut five more
times, opponent dies.

>>odds against the better player. This is particularly true with Elena, as
>>someone can take either Ryu or Akuma and more or less hit the forward and
>>roundhouse kick buttons randomly and defeat Elena. It's pretty sad, the
>Elena is very good against beginers however. She has the best high/low game.

Well, they had to give her something. She doesn't have the best
hi/low game in first and second impacts, though. In 1i, it's Yun and Yang
(divekick counts like an overhead), since any incorrect block leads to a
Genei-Jin for 48% life. In 2i it's Akuma with his divekick of doom
(incorrect block = (optional divekick,) low forward, short HK, dragon
punch, messatsu gou rasen, or instead, divekick, standing roundhouse,
instant hell murder).

>Ryu's overhead is sorta slow and Ken's, although faster is not quite as useful.
> The probelm is that they have the better all around game... Which pisses me
>off. It's like they don't want to work on any other characters sometimes.

They had to deal with weakening Ibuki and Yun/Yang before the rest
of the game could be fixed. Ibuki was absurd in 1i (every ground
attack leads to her infinite), and wasn't 'fixed' in 2i (she still had a
few 50% combos that started with jab). Yun and Yang are only weakened in
3rd strike because they do no damage.

>>forward takes out about 90% of anything Elena does except air attacks, and
>>the roundhouse beats those. Hugo has similar problems against a few
>>characters (Akuma, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Alex in 2i, for example)...
>
>Hugo isn't as screwed as Elena. At least if a Yun, Yang, or Ibuki player makes
>a mistake, you can make them hurt.

There are special combos that those three have that only work on Hugo.
Elena, for all her inability to deal damage, has a better chance.

>-Matt
>General Anime Fan

Frank Wustner

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
puma...@aol.communist (Puma Twins) wrote:

> >> Hugo is great stuff, what are you talking about! He'd give Lime a
> >> run for his money in the "oaf-ish-ness" competition. He's a horrible,
> >> horrible character to play, but that's SF3 for you.

> >I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of

> >the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy

> Oh come on. You don't count Akuma the cheese master in the same catagory as

> those two? It would be like saying "I'm good with Gill, Urien, and Ibuki" :P

I almost always win whenever I use either of those two against
someone using Akuma. Mainly because I know all of Akuma's
moves, which means I know all of his weaknesses. And also
because I know how to bait my opponents into being careless. I
am *very* good with Makoto. She has some really sneaky moves.

> >still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
> >record against each other is about 50-50.

> A very good percentage against Akuma. I'd probably like to play against
> this guy.

Some new blood around here would probably be refreshing. Most
of the local SF players are two hairs short of incompetence.

> The main problem I'd have with Hugo being in the anime is that they'ed
> probably have him the backgroud doing repeated body splashes to Elena.
> Ugh, poor Elena.
> :P

I *love* beating up Elena. She's so annoying. ^_^x

> Now if they had him doing it to Necro I wouldn't complain as much. :)

He's fun to dispose of also. I also get some kicks out of
destroying #12.

Frank Wustner

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
> impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but
> Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
> 1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in
> 3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
> (ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
> more damaging and combos better.

*grin* In 2i, I could have taken *anyone* apart with Alex.
In 3rd, though, his timing seems a bit off for me. And I
still have trouble remembering some of his new moves. But
in 2i...oh that was so much fun. I once got 8 wins in a
row against the local Akuma masters. MAN did they get
pissed with themselves that they kept losing to me. ^_^x
I started doing the same with Makoto when 3rd came out,
but then I had to move to a new area where the SF players
are not as good.

Puma Twins

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
>>Doh, I have to combo mine. ^^;;
>>Well sorta combo since they have to block ;)
>>I'll work on it though. :)
>
>Try this: Universal overhead, gigas breaker. 2 hits, around 80%.

Always misses when I try that, but I'll keep at it. :p

>>Which kinda sucks since they raise the Shoto group and Alex priority each
>game
>>and lower damn near everyone elses.
>

> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
>impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but

You put Alex under Sean? My goodness man! Do you not play Grappling
characters? I've never lost to a Sean player when using Alex. Maybe the
people around me just suck with them. I agree that he was almost the worst in
the first game though. If they had given his air throw a bit more range...

>Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
>1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in

After Dudley, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Oro, I had Ryu and Ken in the first game.
In the second I had them above Oro, but not by much since that bastard can
block damn near everything. Necro is one of those characters whose moves I
could see coming from miles away. I've never had a problem with him. Sean is
the same way most of the time since wannabe Shoto people played him and got
beat cuz' they didn't know how to play without a fireball. :)
Hado Burst is good, but it needed to be a bit stronger. I have never seen a
GOOD Sean player miss with a Hado Burst though, but the rarely use it over
Hyper Tornado. :)

>3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
>(ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
>more damaging and combos better.

Exactly he got better, Elena got worse. I really tried playing her, but I had
to give up.

>> I used to never lose with Dudley in the first SF3, but now it's an
>>uphill battle. :P Then again Dudley was a cheap bastard in the original.
>>:)
>
>Dudley "only" had three infinite damage combos in the original, and they
>were hard to set up properly: (vs another dudley only) standing foward,
>standing roundhouse, step towards opponent, repeat until dead. Also, vs
>anyone, he can do the 26hit, in the corner only:
>
>Low roundhouse, air fierce, fierce uppercut (1 hit), super uppercut (3
>hits or this won't work), fierce uppercut (1 hit), super uppercut (3
>hits), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), jab
>machine gun blow (1 hit), jab machine gun blow (1 hit), dashing uppercut
>(use forward kick, 2 hits IIRC), repeat dashing uppercut five more
>times, opponent dies.

Hey, I said he was a cheap bastard in one didn't I. ^_^

Hell he was no worse than Ms Ibuki with the third super (can't remember the
name) in the first one. And he was a hell of a lot better to face than
Yun/Yang in the first one since once you memorised their infinite, you rarely
missed (unlike Dudley's which would drop everyonce in a while, they had a good
sized window.)

>>Elena is very good against beginers however. She has the best high/low
>game.
>
> Well, they had to give her something. She doesn't have the best
>hi/low game in first and second impacts, though. In 1i, it's Yun and Yang
>(divekick counts like an overhead), since any incorrect block leads to a

I default talk about 3s since the other two are pointless to talk about Elena.
Yun/Yang, Ibuki, and Dudley ruled the first game.

>Genei-Jin for 48% life. In 2i it's Akuma with his divekick of doom
>(incorrect block = (optional divekick,) low forward, short HK, dragon
>punch, messatsu gou rasen, or instead, divekick, standing roundhouse,
>instant hell murder).

Which was typical Gouki BS. That's why I don't play him. (BTW you can combo
the IHM with more than just the standing roundhouse depending on who you're
facing.)

>>Ryu's overhead is sorta slow and Ken's, although faster is not quite as
>useful.
>> The probelm is that they have the better all around game... Which pisses
>me
>>off. It's like they don't want to work on any other characters sometimes.
>
> They had to deal with weakening Ibuki and Yun/Yang before the rest
>of the game could be fixed. Ibuki was absurd in 1i (every ground
>attack leads to her infinite), and wasn't 'fixed' in 2i (she still had a

Yes it was fixed. The base of power in her super changed from the third to the
second. The thing about that is you had to be a hell of alot closer and
(versus humans at least) people were looking for it. Of course this only hurt
vs Yun Yang and Necro, but it did throw some people off (me although I did
adapt)

>few 50% combos that started with jab). Yun and Yang are only weakened in
>3rd strike because they do no damage.

Thank goodness. I loved the look on my friends face when he first played them
in 3s. I was laughing at him the rest of the day. :)

>>Hugo isn't as screwed as Elena. At least if a Yun, Yang, or Ibuki player
>makes
>>a mistake, you can make them hurt.
>
>There are special combos that those three have that only work on Hugo.
>Elena, for all her inability to deal damage, has a better chance.

Again I say, if they make a mistake. Elena and Hugo have next to no chance of
hurting a good Yun/Yang, Ibuki player in 1st or 2nd impact. Ibuki's grab beat
out Hugo's grab!!! What the hell was that!!! He's a friggin' grapple character!

Bah humbug. :P

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
In article <20000119212653...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,

Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:
>>>Doh, I have to combo mine. ^^;;
>>>Well sorta combo since they have to block ;)
>>>I'll work on it though. :)
>>Try this: Universal overhead, gigas breaker. 2 hits, around 80%.
>Always misses when I try that, but I'll keep at it. :p

There's a specific range and timing to it. It SHOULDN'T work, and indeed
just about anything else will not. But the overhead has a special
property in that it "stuns" when it hits, turning them around. The turned
around stun is throwable and thus superable. The other stun animation is
not and the super will wiff.

>>>Which kinda sucks since they raise the Shoto group and Alex priority each
>>>game and lower damn near everyone elses.
>>
>> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
>>impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but
>
>You put Alex under Sean? My goodness man! Do you not play Grappling
>characters? I've never lost to a Sean player when using Alex. Maybe the
>people around me just suck with them. I agree that he was almost the worst in
>the first game though. If they had given his air throw a bit more range...

Alex was my main character when SF3:1i came out. I probably
have/had one of the best Alex's in Chicago (this doesn't say much, btw).
Alex is really, really bad. While I disagree with putting him at dead
last, a reasonable argument can be made for it.
In 2i, Alex gains the useless elbow dash. This move is horrible
and gets you killed (read: parried) as often as not, and useless EX moves
aside, it's all Alex gains. Sean turns out to be really good in 2i,
making it into the second tier of characters. This of course means that
he still dies horribly to Akuma, Ibuki, Yun, and that @!#!ing 8!tch Yang.

>>Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
>>1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in
>After Dudley, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Oro, I had Ryu and Ken in the first game.

First game's rankings are:
Ibuki (Hashin Sho)
Oro (Tengu Stone or Dama)
Necro (Any, it's largely irrelevant)
Yun/Yang (Genei-Jin)
Dudley (Uppercut)
Sean (Hado Burst or Hyper Tornado)
Ken (Shippu Jinrai Kyaku)
Ryu (Shinkuu Hadoken)
Alex (Hyper Bomb)
Elena (Spinning Beat)

The supers are those that turn out to be the best supers for normal use.
Everyone if the top three has at least one 100% damage combo, and Ibuki
has a bunch of ways to start her two infinites. Necro has an infinite,
Oro just has two 100% damage combos. Yun/Yang's Genei Jin turn every
attack into a 48% damage chain->super. Sean had his close roundhouse ->
roundhouse HK (check the stun damage) and far roundhouse->hyper
tornado/hadoburst combos, which were really good.

>In the second I had them above Oro, but not by much since that bastard can
>block damn near everything. Necro is one of those characters whose moves I
>could see coming from miles away. I've never had a problem with him. Sean is
>the same way most of the time since wannabe Shoto people played him and got
>beat cuz' they didn't know how to play without a fireball. :)

Uhhh... everyone plays without fireballs in SF3, or they die due to
parries. Anyways, Necro was weakened a bunch in 2i and beyond, so yah,
he's not a factor.

>Hado Burst is good, but it needed to be a bit stronger. I have never seen a
>GOOD Sean player miss with a Hado Burst though, but the rarely use it over
>Hyper Tornado. :)

Burst is good stuff, you always have one lying around.

>>3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
>>(ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
>>more damaging and combos better.
>Exactly he got better, Elena got worse. I really tried playing her, but I had
>to give up.

Well, he's slower though, which isn't good. Elena got some move tweaking
that actually makes her better, so she goes from horrible suck to only
badly sucking, if that helps any.

>>> I used to never lose with Dudley in the first SF3, but now it's an
>>>uphill battle. :P Then again Dudley was a cheap bastard in the original.
>>>:)
>>Dudley "only" had three infinite damage combos in the original, and they
>>were hard to set up properly: (vs another dudley only) standing foward,
>>standing roundhouse, step towards opponent, repeat until dead. Also, vs
>>anyone, he can do the 26hit, in the corner only:

>Hey, I said he was a cheap bastard in one didn't I. ^_^
>Hell he was no worse than Ms Ibuki with the third super (can't remember the
>name) in the first one. And he was a hell of a lot better to face than
>Yun/Yang in the first one since once you memorised their infinite, you rarely
>missed (unlike Dudley's which would drop everyonce in a while, they had a good
>sized window.)

Yun and Yang don't have an infinite in first impact. Well, they do but it
only works on Gill. The GeneiJin runs out and there's no way to keep it
up, but you can set up a three way geussing game where your opponent must
either defend high, defend low, or jump, and if they pick wrong they eat
another GeneiJin :(
Ibuki is absurd. *ANY* ground normal will combo into the hashin sho,
where you can do her standing roundhouse, walk forward, repeat infinite
combo.
Dudley ends up not being on the same plane of existence, really. It's
like DB vs Ranma1/2. Really messy, and silly since he was so BS by
himself.

>>>Elena is very good against beginers however. She has the best high/low
>>game.
>> Well, they had to give her something. She doesn't have the best
>>hi/low game in first and second impacts, though. In 1i, it's Yun and Yang
>>(divekick counts like an overhead), since any incorrect block leads to a
>I default talk about 3s since the other two are pointless to talk about Elena.
>Yun/Yang, Ibuki, and Dudley ruled the first game.

No, Dudley wasn't powerful in the first two because even with his BS he
didn't have good enough BS. It's all relative.

>>Genei-Jin for 48% life. In 2i it's Akuma with his divekick of doom
>>(incorrect block = (optional divekick,) low forward, short HK, dragon
>>punch, messatsu gou rasen, or instead, divekick, standing roundhouse,
>>instant hell murder).
>Which was typical Gouki BS. That's why I don't play him. (BTW you can combo
>the IHM with more than just the standing roundhouse depending on who you're
>facing.)

You can tick with it, but *comboing* it.. and getting the meter to realize
this.. normally only works with the standing rh.

>> They had to deal with weakening Ibuki and Yun/Yang before the rest
>>of the game could be fixed. Ibuki was absurd in 1i (every ground
>>attack leads to her infinite), and wasn't 'fixed' in 2i (she still had a
>
>Yes it was fixed. The base of power in her super changed from the third to the
>second.

No it wasn't. Ibuki shouldn't be doing ANY supers in 2i. She
should only do EX upkicks (this leads to a 50% damage combo) or EX
spinkicks (also comboable). She might use a hashin sho if the range is
needed or something, but usually she doesn't need or want to. The chains
involving the EX specials do more damage and are more likely to stun.

>>>Hugo isn't as screwed as Elena. At least if a Yun, Yang, or Ibuki player
>>makes
>>>a mistake, you can make them hurt.
>>There are special combos that those three have that only work on Hugo.
>>Elena, for all her inability to deal damage, has a better chance.
>Again I say, if they make a mistake. Elena and Hugo have next to no chance of
>hurting a good Yun/Yang, Ibuki player in 1st or 2nd impact. Ibuki's grab beat
>out Hugo's grab!!! What the hell was that!!! He's a friggin' grapple character!

Wanna drive a hugo player nuts? Sweep them with Alex, then stand over
them, as the get up, hyperbomb. Nothing Hugo can do if timed right, even
if Hugo tries to Super back, jump, attack, whatever.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
In article <see-sig-1901...@user-2iniobq.dialup.mindspring.com>,

Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
>
>> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
>> impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but
>> Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
>> 1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in
>> 3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
>> (ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
>> more damaging and combos better.
>
>*grin* In 2i, I could have taken *anyone* apart with Alex.

No offense Frank, but this is because your opponent seriously sucked. If
Ibuki jabs you once, you lose 50% of your life, and she's going to be
right on top of you when you get up. What are you going to do? Alex
can't really keep Ibuki away, and doesn't have a way of stopping her from
jabbing mindlessly until one hits or you get tired of being
thrown/overheaded. That's just Ibuki. Yang still gives me nightmares.

Puma Twins

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

>>Always misses when I try that, but I'll keep at it. :p
>
>There's a specific range and timing to it. It SHOULDN'T work, and indeed
>just about anything else will not. But the overhead has a special
>property in that it "stuns" when it hits, turning them around. The turned
>around stun is throwable and thus superable. The other stun animation is
>not and the super will wiff.

Ah well, then I'm not going to try that hard. BTW the Dreamcast port of 1i and
2i is very good. You may want to check it out if you have a DC.

>>> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
>>>impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but
>>
>>You put Alex under Sean? My goodness man! Do you not play Grappling
>>characters? I've never lost to a Sean player when using Alex. Maybe the
>>people around me just suck with them. I agree that he was almost the worst
>in
>>the first game though. If they had given his air throw a bit more range...
>
> Alex was my main character when SF3:1i came out. I probably
>have/had one of the best Alex's in Chicago (this doesn't say much, btw).
>Alex is really, really bad. While I disagree with putting him at dead
>last, a reasonable argument can be made for it.

The head stomp should track like Bisons, the air throw needs more range, this
throw needs to come off on contact instead of after which is why Ibuki players
can get away with so much crap. If you can get around those gaps, you are
truely wise grasshopper. ;)

> In 2i, Alex gains the useless elbow dash. This move is horrible
>and gets you killed (read: parried) as often as not, and useless EX moves

Speaking of EX moves, the EX elbow is good, but you need to know when to use
it. The other elbow it way too slow. Sorry, but I can't explain it beyond
that.

>aside, it's all Alex gains. Sean turns out to be really good in 2i,
>making it into the second tier of characters. This of course means that

Like I said, I've never lost to a Sean with Alex. It may be just my Alex or it
may be their Sean.

>he still dies horribly to Akuma, Ibuki, Yun, and that @!#!ing 8!tch Yang.

I can tell you don't like facing Yang. :)
Com'on play him, you like the cheese. Turn yourself to the dark side.

>>After Dudley, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Oro, I had Ryu and Ken in the first
>game.
>
>First game's rankings are:
>Ibuki (Hashin Sho)
>Oro (Tengu Stone or Dama)
>Necro (Any, it's largely irrelevant)

Necro about Yun/Yang? I really need to see the people in you're area.

>Yun/Yang (Genei-Jin)
>Dudley (Uppercut)
>Sean (Hado Burst or Hyper Tornado)

Mmm... Hado Burst... :)

>Ken (Shippu Jinrai Kyaku)
>Ryu (Shinkuu Hadoken)

Herasy I say, you know the only thing the scru... I mean Ryu/Ken players use is
Shin Shoryuken and Shinryuken! 45~50% damage in one special can't be wrong ^_~

>Alex (Hyper Bomb)
>Elena (Spinning Beat)

I used Brave Dance because it could get in between attacks better.

>The supers are those that turn out to be the best supers for normal use.
>Everyone if the top three has at least one 100% damage combo, and Ibuki
>has a bunch of ways to start her two infinites. Necro has an infinite,
>Oro just has two 100% damage combos.

I hate that bastard!!! Why did they have to give Guile players a one armed
freak?!?!

> Yun/Yang's Genei Jin turn every
>attack into a 48% damage chain->super. Sean had his close roundhouse ->
>roundhouse HK (check the stun damage) and far roundhouse->hyper
>tornado/hadoburst combos, which were really good.

I didn't waste HB for cambos though. I mainly save it for defense. It I'm at
lvl3 then I'll let one or two slide.

>>In the second I had them above Oro, but not by much since that bastard can
>>block damn near everything. Necro is one of those characters whose moves I
>>could see coming from miles away. I've never had a problem with him. Sean
>is
>>the same way most of the time since wannabe Shoto people played him and got
>>beat cuz' they didn't know how to play without a fireball. :)
>
>Uhhh... everyone plays without fireballs in SF3, or they die due to

Like I said, wannabe Shoto people. You would not believe the number of scrubs
I have in my area. I can count the good players on one hand, and they all use
the same three or four characters (when we play vs each other. Scrubs get the
full gambit) I must admit I'm guilty since I play Ibuki whenever I know I'm
facing someone good, but dammit I want to do something different! ^_^

>parries. Anyways, Necro was weakened a bunch in 2i and beyond, so yah,
>he's not a factor.

A bunch is not the word although I'm still interested in how he got to #3 on
your list.

>>Hado Burst is good, but it needed to be a bit stronger. I have never seen a
>>GOOD Sean player miss with a Hado Burst though, but the rarely use it over
>>Hyper Tornado. :)
>
>Burst is good stuff, you always have one lying around.
>

>>Exactly he got better, Elena got worse. I really tried playing her, but I
>had
>>to give up.
>
>Well, he's slower though, which isn't good. Elena got some move tweaking
>that actually makes her better, so she goes from horrible suck to only
>badly sucking, if that helps any.

Heh, thanks for the support. :)

>>Hey, I said he was a cheap bastard in one didn't I. ^_^
>>Hell he was no worse than Ms Ibuki with the third super (can't remember the
>>name) in the first one. And he was a hell of a lot better to face than
>>Yun/Yang in the first one since once you memorised their infinite, you
>rarely
>>missed (unlike Dudley's which would drop everyonce in a while, they had a
>good
>>sized window.)
>
>Yun and Yang don't have an infinite in first impact. Well, they do but it
>only works on Gill. The GeneiJin runs out and there's no way to keep it

Not true. I know a few Yun/Yang players from 1i that could keep you in the air
until they refilled the the super bar. It worked on Gil, Alex, Elena, Necro,
and Dudley, but dropped Sean, Ibuki, Ken, Ryu, and Oro. I never learned how to
do it since I did not play Yun/Yang in 1i and it was removed in 2i. I could
probably figure it out if I play 1i on the Dreamcast, but I'm playing ShenMue
and Berserk too much. ^^;;

>up, but you can set up a three way geussing game where your opponent must
>either defend high, defend low, or jump, and if they pick wrong they eat
>another GeneiJin :(

Ibuki was the only character I could play that could beat that cheese, that's
why I started playing her in the first place. :/
At first I thought that it was becasue she was my only "good" character, but
later I found out it was because she was a cheese ball... :(
Then I found out that the game was based on the Swiss so I didn't feel as bad.
:)

>Ibuki is absurd. *ANY* ground normal will combo into the hashin sho,
>where you can do her standing roundhouse, walk forward, repeat infinite
>combo.
>Dudley ends up not being on the same plane of existence, really. It's
>like DB vs Ranma1/2. Really messy, and silly since he was so BS by
>himself.

Best Boxing character in video games. I'd like to see the 3s version of him in
a Capcom mix game to see how they do.

>>>game.
>>

>>Yun/Yang, Ibuki, and Dudley ruled the first game.
>
>No, Dudley wasn't powerful in the first two because even with his BS he
>didn't have good enough BS. It's all relative.

:P
It was good enough BS for me. ^_^
Oro was good too, but he didn't have the same type of BS. ;)

>>Which was typical Gouki BS. That's why I don't play him. (BTW you can
>combo
>>the IHM with more than just the standing roundhouse depending on who you're
>>facing.)
>
>You can tick with it, but *comboing* it.. and getting the meter to realize
>this.. normally only works with the standing rh.

Hey Instant Hell Murder is Instant Hell Murder no matter what the meter says.
It's all about showing off. That's the same reason why I do Ryu's taunt
everytime I knock someone down. You've got to beat them with style. :)

>>Yes it was fixed. The base of power in her super changed from the third to
>the
>>second.
>
> No it wasn't. Ibuki shouldn't be doing ANY supers in 2i. She

The super is used for when Yun and Yang get to close and you can't get a hit
inbetween, it's a great BACK OFF!! move and stops damn near all incoming
attacks. Why not use it?

>should only do EX upkicks (this leads to a 50% damage combo) or EX
>spinkicks (also comboable). She might use a hashin sho if the range is
>needed or something, but usually she doesn't need or want to. The chains
>involving the EX specials do more damage and are more likely to stun.
>

>>Again I say, if they make a mistake. Elena and Hugo have next to no chance
>of
>>hurting a good Yun/Yang, Ibuki player in 1st or 2nd impact. Ibuki's grab
>beat
>>out Hugo's grab!!! What the hell was that!!! He's a friggin' grapple
>character!
>
>Wanna drive a hugo player nuts? Sweep them with Alex, then stand over
>them, as the get up, hyperbomb. Nothing Hugo can do if timed right, even
>if Hugo tries to Super back, jump, attack, whatever.

Hugo's best line "Umumum!" :)

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
In article <20000120054343...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,

>>>You put Alex under Sean? My goodness man! Do you not play Grappling
>>>characters? I've never lost to a Sean player when using Alex. Maybe the
>>>people around me just suck with them. I agree that he was almost the worst
>>in
>>>the first game though. If they had given his air throw a bit more range...
>> Alex was my main character when SF3:1i came out. I probably
>>have/had one of the best Alex's in Chicago (this doesn't say much, btw).
>>Alex is really, really bad. While I disagree with putting him at dead
>>last, a reasonable argument can be made for it.
>The head stomp should track like Bisons, the air throw needs more range, this

That's not an air throw, btw. You can parry it.

>> In 2i, Alex gains the useless elbow dash. This move is horrible
>>and gets you killed (read: parried) as often as not, and useless EX moves
>Speaking of EX moves, the EX elbow is good, but you need to know when to use
>it.

Too easy to parry

>>he still dies horribly to Akuma, Ibuki, Yun, and that @!#!ing 8!tch Yang.
>
>I can tell you don't like facing Yang. :)
>Com'on play him, you like the cheese. Turn yourself to the dark side.

That low short is the biggest BS in 2i, aside perhaps from Akuma's
divekick and Ibuki's jab. low short, low forward, yap yap yap. Ugh.

>>>After Dudley, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, and Oro, I had Ryu and Ken in the first
>>game.
>>First game's rankings are:
>>Ibuki (Hashin Sho)
>>Oro (Tengu Stone or Dama)
>>Necro (Any, it's largely irrelevant)
>Necro about Yun/Yang? I really need to see the people in you're area.

Yup. Necro could keep them out of range, and then when they did get
close, he did more damage (100%) than they did.

>>Ken (Shippu Jinrai Kyaku)
>>Ryu (Shinkuu Hadoken)
>Herasy I say, you know the only thing the scru... I mean Ryu/Ken players use is
>Shin Shoryuken and Shinryuken! 45~50% damage in one special can't be wrong ^_~

Shippu Jinrai Kyaku combos off of Ken's standing forward. That's really
good, since Ken can poke with that, see if it hits, then hit you with the
super for free.

>>Alex (Hyper Bomb)
>>Elena (Spinning Beat)

>I used Brave Dance because it could get in between attacks better.

Beat charges up faster and combos better.

>> Yun/Yang's Genei Jin turn every
>>attack into a 48% damage chain->super. Sean had his close roundhouse ->
>>roundhouse HK (check the stun damage) and far roundhouse->hyper
>>tornado/hadoburst combos, which were really good.
>
>I didn't waste HB for cambos though. I mainly save it for defense. It I'm at
>lvl3 then I'll let one or two slide.

Combos are the way to go, deal all your damage with a combo, then get
meter while they're knocked down.

>>Yun and Yang don't have an infinite in first impact. Well, they do but it
>>only works on Gill. The GeneiJin runs out and there's no way to keep it

>Not true. I know a few Yun/Yang players from 1i that could keep you in the air
>until they refilled the the super bar. It worked on Gil, Alex, Elena, Necro,
>and Dudley, but dropped Sean, Ibuki, Ken, Ryu, and Oro.

The most meter gaining thing you can do is standing forward,
forward roll, standing strong, but this flips them. This gives you enough
to do the robot combo into genei jin, but it doesn't give you a full
meter. Gill only works because of a special landing animation of his.
Everyone else can block this.

> I never learned how to
>do it since I did not play Yun/Yang in 1i and it was removed in 2i. I could
>probably figure it out if I play 1i on the Dreamcast, but I'm playing ShenMue
>and Berserk too much. ^^;;

Well, let me know if you do.

>>>Yes it was fixed. The base of power in her super changed from the third to
>>>the second.
>> No it wasn't. Ibuki shouldn't be doing ANY supers in 2i. She
>The super is used for when Yun and Yang get to close and you can't get a hit
>inbetween, it's a great BACK OFF!! move and stops damn near all incoming
>attacks. Why not use it?

Because they can retaliate if they block or parry it, and the chances of
it hitting are slim (this is the Yoroi DOushi, remember), and you get a
shorter total bar for the vastly superior EX specials.

Puma Twins

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

>> >I've met a guy who is *great* with Hugo. I'm near the top of
>> >the SF3 list in my area (Akuma, Makoto, or Alex), and this guy
>
>> Oh come on. You don't count Akuma the cheese master in the same catagory
>as
>> those two? It would be like saying "I'm good with Gill, Urien, and Ibuki"
>:P
>
>I almost always win whenever I use either of those two against
>someone using Akuma. Mainly because I know all of Akuma's
>moves, which means I know all of his weaknesses. And also
>because I know how to bait my opponents into being careless. I

Then that's their fault. I apologize, but if they REALLY knew what they were
doing with Akuma, it wouldn't matter. I know all of the moves of everyone in
the game, but that doesn't help against the cheese.

>am *very* good with Makoto. She has some really sneaky moves.

Makoto is nice. But not up there with the cheese kings.

>> >still gives me a run for my money whenever he drops by. Our
>> >record against each other is about 50-50.
>
>> A very good percentage against Akuma. I'd probably like to play against
>> this guy.
>
>Some new blood around here would probably be refreshing. Most
>of the local SF players are two hairs short of incompetence.

Hey, if you'll be up Katsucon or Animazement, then I might get to play you.

>> The main problem I'd have with Hugo being in the anime is that they'ed
>> probably have him the backgroud doing repeated body splashes to Elena.
>> Ugh, poor Elena.
>> :P
>
>I *love* beating up Elena. She's so annoying. ^_^x

Annoying, but she doesn't deserve that (unless I'm playing Hugo that is ^_^ )

>> Now if they had him doing it to Necro I wouldn't complain as much. :)
>
>He's fun to dispose of also. I also get some kicks out of
>destroying #12.

Fun to dispose of and more annoying than Elena will ever be to me ^^;;

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Puma Twins

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
>>The head stomp should track like Bisons, the air throw needs more range,
>this
>
>That's not an air throw, btw. You can parry it.

Details, details. Okay how about this dragon punch that just happens to grap
you out of the air if you don't parry it? It's an extremely fast move so it
lands most of the time (if it reaches that is. :P)

>>Speaking of EX moves, the EX elbow is good, but you need to know when to use
>>it.
>
>Too easy to parry

Try this Roundhouse (Boot to da head), they parry it, EX elbow. 90% of players
will come in after you do that god awful slow roundhouse then if you follow up
with the elbow, it will hit. Of course this depends on how good the other
player is, but if you using Alex, hopefully you aren't using him vs the best
players you know of. :P

I talking about relative terms, you're talking of over all. Hell, if you do
that, why ever bother about talking of Alex? Why bother talking about any
other character than Ibuki, Yun, Yang, Gouki, and Oro?

>>>he still dies horribly to Akuma, Ibuki, Yun, and that @!#!ing 8!tch Yang.
>>
>>I can tell you don't like facing Yang. :)
>>Com'on play him, you like the cheese. Turn yourself to the dark side.
>
> That low short is the biggest BS in 2i, aside perhaps from Akuma's
>divekick and Ibuki's jab. low short, low forward, yap yap yap. Ugh.

You know you want to. :)

>Yup. Necro could keep them out of range, and then when they did get
>close, he did more damage (100%) than they did.

Be defensive, wait for the Necro player to move and smack them. It's not that
hard. You don't have to combo to win a game, it's just easier if you do combo.
On that note, I wish Dudley didn't take the damage until AFTER the cross
counter went off.

>>>Ken (Shippu Jinrai Kyaku)
>>>Ryu (Shinkuu Hadoken)
>>Herasy I say, you know the only thing the scru... I mean Ryu/Ken players use
>is
>>Shin Shoryuken and Shinryuken! 45~50% damage in one special can't be wrong
>^_~
>
>Shippu Jinrai Kyaku combos off of Ken's standing forward. That's really

Shinryuken combos off of a ducking long. Shin Shoryuken combos of of a jumping
roundhouse, standing fierce, fierce upperbut cancelled in to the Shin
Shoryuken. It's a scrubs dream, a two button combo. Don't tell me you've
never seen this done?

>good, since Ken can poke with that, see if it hits, then hit you with the
>super for free.
>
>>>Alex (Hyper Bomb)
>>>Elena (Spinning Beat)
>
>>I used Brave Dance because it could get in between attacks better.
>
>Beat charges up faster and combos better.

Plus it doesn't knock you out of the air like brave dance does, but I use it
none the less a psudo Hado-burst for Elena. It was the fastest thing she had
and it was needed for when you were stuck in the corner and being beat. (The
pains of Elena being your first character!!! From her I switched to Alex, from
him to Ibuki. Ahh Ibuki, a breath of fresh air. :)

>>> Yun/Yang's Genei Jin turn every
>>>attack into a 48% damage chain->super. Sean had his close roundhouse ->
>>>roundhouse HK (check the stun damage) and far roundhouse->hyper
>>>tornado/hadoburst combos, which were really good.
>>
>>I didn't waste HB for cambos though. I mainly save it for defense. It I'm
>at
>>lvl3 then I'll let one or two slide.
>
>Combos are the way to go, deal all your damage with a combo, then get
>meter while they're knocked down.

I play a defensive game (I'm not a turtle, there's a difference.) I think I
got that way because my Elena and Alex got beat so much. The only characters I
take the offense with is Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley (I don't play Yun or Yang)

>>>Yun and Yang don't have an infinite in first impact. Well, they do but it
>>>only works on Gill. The GeneiJin runs out and there's no way to keep it
>
>>Not true. I know a few Yun/Yang players from 1i that could keep you in the
>air
>>until they refilled the the super bar. It worked on Gil, Alex, Elena,
>Necro,
>>and Dudley, but dropped Sean, Ibuki, Ken, Ryu, and Oro.
>
> The most meter gaining thing you can do is standing forward,
>forward roll, standing strong, but this flips them. This gives you enough
>to do the robot combo into genei jin, but it doesn't give you a full
>meter. Gill only works because of a special landing animation of his.
>Everyone else can block this.

At the end of the GeneiJin, do a roll kick, you should land first, then do a
jumping roundhouse, standing forward, forward roll, standing strong use
GeneiJin wash rinse repeat. I believe this was it. I may have missed
something. If I did, the guy I know who used this combo should be at Katsucon
if you're around. Like I said, I don't play Yun/Yang so I'm not the best
person to tell you. :P

>> I never learned how to
>>do it since I did not play Yun/Yang in 1i and it was removed in 2i. I could
>>probably figure it out if I play 1i on the Dreamcast, but I'm playing
>ShenMue
>>and Berserk too much. ^^;;
>
>Well, let me know if you do.
>

>>> No it wasn't. Ibuki shouldn't be doing ANY supers in 2i. She
>>The super is used for when Yun and Yang get to close and you can't get a hit
>>inbetween, it's a great BACK OFF!! move and stops damn near all incoming
>>attacks. Why not use it?
>
>Because they can retaliate if they block or parry it, and the chances of
>it hitting are slim (this is the Yoroi DOushi, remember), and you get a
>shorter total bar for the vastly superior EX specials.

You know you can combo into the second form Yoroi Doushi. Once you lift up
that arm, the game is over 90% of the time. Of course it's not as easy as
Hashin-Sho and the infinite trick, but it's the mass damage. I you cannot
parry the the second form and I don't use the first form (the red ball of
death). Basically if they're in there hacking away (like most Yun/Yang
players), then they are open to get hurt.

-Matt
General Anime Fan

Talen

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 05:30:42 -0500, "Bryan" <bryam...@usol.com> wrote:

>Talen wrote in message <387ff030...@news.optusnet.com.au>...
>>My gaaaaaaaaawd. That's it, I give up. It's clear Mike has undergone some
>>amazing training that lets him write so utterly shite; he's even got a
>>special spellchecker that buggers up the punctuation for him, too.
>>
>With all due respects, do you see any improvements in my writing skills from
>one to
>the other. Talen, are you a published author to be able to *truly* discern
>good writing from bad writing, you seem to be obsessing over mere technical
>details rather than the author's attempt to tell a story.

Yeah, every single literary critic has written books... and yes, I have
written stuff, and, truth be told, it has been reviewed by a publishing
company - and it fell through because *I* didn't want to do anything until
I left school.

Sheesh, it's like you need to blow sunshine up yer own arse to have people
listen to you...

"Technical details"? Saying his spelling and punctuation are crap - AFTER
saying that the story was shite?

>Perhaps this
>piece was *deliberately* written this way for satirical purposes....

Er, no, it's not. He's written before. He's been informed before. He's
tried to start Anti-Akane flamewars on alt.fan.r-takahashi. He's trolled
for votes. He ignores all helpful criticism as flames. He's insulted me
directly for pointing out that he *was* trying to start an Anti-Akane
flamewar. He makes patently false claims about his site and works. He
flames writers for their works - WITHOUT EVER HAVING READ THEM.

He is a *bad writer*.

>I tried to read FIRESTARTER by STEPHEN KING but couldn't get past page 40 or
>so as the story didn't do a thing for me.

Point being? Andrew said it a lot more eloquently, and simply because he's
been knocking around for longer, people pay him attention - go, read what
he says. Maybe you'll respect him.

Geeze, sticking up for the underdog is all well and good, but try and learn
what you're getting stuck into beforehand...

>On the anime fanfic front, I've read a number of them that were uniformly
>good--some were *truly* outstanding stuff--some could have been published as
>regular books if the original copyright holders would consent to it. (we all
>know how likely that is to happen...say for Nabiki Tendo to do something
>for somebody with *ABSOLUTELY* no thought of a return favor). If your
>interested, my 'rated fics' page is at: my web site (see the bottomost sig
>for the URL).

I know of some, too - I'm quite the fanfic junkie. Though most fics need
Tarou to warrant a place on my HD. ;p

>>Just, please, Mike, do us all a favour! Either stop writing or cut off your
>>hands! I'll help with both!
>
>Barbaric--yet sarcastic.... =/

I'm good at both.

I'm stunned by the roaming topic of this thread, but even moreso by the
general populace being so stunned at *my* actions and statements. Has
nobody heard of hyperbole? People who have been here longer than I have who
haven't read Mike's stuff were hoeing into me for this - and they defend
him without having a swutting clue what the hell he's done/doing/like...

>>On 14 Jan 2000 16:32:10 GMT, micha...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>You can find more Ranma and Ukyou fanfics(by myself and other authors)
>>>on my page(the cabernet sauvignon of Ranma romance sites)devoted to
>>>the Vegeta/Bulma of Rumiko Takahashi fandom(seriously).
^^^^^^^^^^^^

From my limited DBZ knowledge, that would imply that Ranma and Ukyou were
intended by the authors - which they aren't. Add to that that Mike's bagged
out Takahashi herself for her actions regarding Ukyou...

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 05:44:49 GMT, micha...@hotmail.com wrote:

>P.S. If you disagree with my beliefs,I don't want to hear it!

Says it, all, does it not? Hmmmm???

Talen

Remove the b from .comb to e-mail
"Obtenez la Vache. Méfiez-vous du Fromage"
http://www.crosswinds.net/~kuroma/
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ksna/

Frank Wustner

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
> >spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

> >> Uhhh.. Alex was the second worst character in the game in 1st
> >> impact, and he tried really hard to be worst in 2nd impact as well, but

> >> Elena, Urien, and Hugo bailed him out. Ryu and Ken go from #7 and #8 in
> >> 1st impact to like #9 and #10 in 2nd impact. They finally get better in
> >> 3rd strike, but a lot of that is the characters above them getting worse
> >> (ibuki, yun, yang). Alex is still not very good in 3rd strike, he's just
> >> more damaging and combos better.

> >*grin* In 2i, I could have taken *anyone* apart with Alex.

> No offense Frank, but this is because your opponent seriously sucked.

Uh, no. They most certainly did not.

> If Ibuki jabs you once, you lose 50% of your life, and she's going to
> be right on top of you when you get up. What are you going to do?

Parries and various other tactics work quite well. I know
which Ibuki combo you are talking about because they tried
it on me all the time. It worked at first. Then I got
better. Don't forget that you started that sentence with
"if".

> Alex can't really keep Ibuki away,

Oh yes he can!

> and doesn't have a way of stopping
> her from jabbing mindlessly until one hits or you get tired of being
> thrown/overheaded. That's just Ibuki.

Anyone who can't deal with that is a bad player. Alex is
incrediblly versitile in 2i and can deal with both air and
ground attacks.

> Yang still gives me nightmares.

I don't remember much about him. Most people around where I
played didn't use him.

Acey

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

> >Barbaric--yet sarcastic.... =/
>
> I'm good at both.

Not really.

> I'm stunned by the roaming topic of this thread, but even moreso by the
> general populace being so stunned at *my* actions and statements. Has
> nobody heard of hyperbole? People who have been here longer than I have
who
> haven't read Mike's stuff were hoeing into me for this - and they defend
> him without having a swutting clue what the hell he's done/doing/like...

By any chance are you talking about me? Because I most certainly have read
some of Mike's work before ever getting into this (although I admit the only
story I 'finished' was the MST). I don't object to Mike's work (because no
one says I have to read it), what I objected to was your direct flaming of
an author. If you had posted that post on the FFML you would have been
banned as fast as any of the admins could read it.

Btw, I saw that post of yours on RAAM. So you think I was flaming you? Where
have I ever insulted you personally in this? I've only ever objected to your
treatment of another person... If I was really trying to flame you... =P

Acey

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote in message

> spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
> > Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:

> > >*grin* In 2i, I could have taken *anyone* apart with Alex.
>
> > No offense Frank, but this is because your opponent seriously sucked.
>
> Uh, no. They most certainly did not.
<snip>

He probably meant, "relatively" sucked. When talking about matchups like
these in Fighting games, people tend to take them at the *very* high level.
Tournament level.

FYI, the best 2I players in the USA used Ibuki (Eddie Lee) and Akuma (Alex
Valle). I don't know anyone who used Alex =P.

Frank Wustner

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
"Acey" <sp...@fakeaddy.com> wrote:
> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
> > spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

> > > No offense Frank, but this is because your opponent seriously sucked.

> > Uh, no. They most certainly did not.

> He probably meant, "relatively" sucked. When talking about matchups like

> these in Fighting games, people tend to take them at the *very* high level.
> Tournament level.

People also tend to take them in normal arcade matches. I
don't see how that proves anything.

> FYI, the best 2I players in the USA used Ibuki (Eddie Lee) and Akuma (Alex
> Valle). I don't know anyone who used Alex =P.

You know me. ^_^

I'm not the best at Street Fighter, and I know it. But put
me against someone of equivalent skill, let them use any
character they want, and I will *waste* them with Alex in
2i more often than not.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
In article <20000121005335...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,

Puma Twins <puma...@aol.communist> wrote:
>>>Speaking of EX moves, the EX elbow is good, but you need to know when to use
>>>it.
>>Too easy to parry
>Try this Roundhouse (Boot to da head), they parry it, EX elbow. 90% of players
>will come in after you do that god awful slow roundhouse then if you follow up
>with the elbow, it will hit. Of course this depends on how good the other
>player is, but if you using Alex, hopefully you aren't using him vs the best
>players you know of. :P
>I talking about relative terms, you're talking of over all. Hell, if you do
>that, why ever bother about talking of Alex? Why bother talking about any
>other character than Ibuki, Yun, Yang, Gouki, and Oro?

I talk about the game at it's highest levels of play because it's
the only level that it makes sense to talk about. Who cares if Alex can
beat up on people who don't know what they're doing? And, in fact, you do
end up talking about every character.. at their highest levels. The best
things for Alex to do to counter the hordes of ibukis and yangs, and so
forth, are a part of what makes the game interesting (or should, but since
there's parries the game is boring).

>>Yup. Necro could keep them out of range, and then when they did get
>>close, he did more damage (100%) than they did.
>Be defensive, wait for the Necro player to move and smack them. It's not that
>hard.

At that range the twins poss no threat (neither does anyone). But Necro
has better pokes for that range can keep them out of their 'primary'
range.

>>>Herasy I say, you know the only thing the scru... I mean Ryu/Ken players use
>>is
>>>Shin Shoryuken and Shinryuken! 45~50% damage in one special can't be wrong
>>^_~
>>
>>Shippu Jinrai Kyaku combos off of Ken's standing forward. That's really
>
>Shinryuken combos off of a ducking long. Shin Shoryuken combos of of a jumping
>roundhouse, standing fierce, fierce upperbut cancelled in to the Shin
>Shoryuken. It's a scrubs dream, a two button combo. Don't tell me you've
>never seen this done?

Of course I've seen it done. But the standing forward is MUCH
easier to land in a match against someone who is paying any attention at
all.

>>Combos are the way to go, deal all your damage with a combo, then get
>>meter while they're knocked down.
>
>I play a defensive game (I'm not a turtle, there's a difference.) I think I
>got that way because my Elena and Alex got beat so much. The only characters I
>take the offense with is Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley (I don't play Yun or Yang)

judt a note
Combos aren't offensive. Someone who picks Dhalsim and keeps you out the
whole match, then manages to throw you and tack on a super (SFA3) is still
a turtle.

>At the end of the GeneiJin, do a roll kick, you should land first, then do a
>jumping roundhouse, standing forward, forward roll, standing strong use
>GeneiJin wash rinse repeat. I believe this was it. I may have missed
>something. If I did, the guy I know who used this combo should be at Katsucon
>if you're around. Like I said, I don't play Yun/Yang so I'm not the best
>person to tell you. :P

That's still short on meter. You probably saw a very similar looking
'combo' but it does indeed allow you to block.

>>>The super is used for when Yun and Yang get to close and you can't get a hit
>>>inbetween, it's a great BACK OFF!! move and stops damn near all incoming
>>>attacks. Why not use it?
>>Because they can retaliate if they block or parry it, and the chances of
>>it hitting are slim (this is the Yoroi DOushi, remember), and you get a
>>shorter total bar for the vastly superior EX specials.
>You know you can combo into the second form Yoroi Doushi. Once you lift up
>that arm, the game is over 90% of the time. Of course it's not as easy as

Against yun and yang, 50% damage combos aren't going to win the
round. Yun, especially, can make a comeback (one low forward = 70% life)

>Hashin-Sho and the infinite trick, but it's the mass damage. I you cannot
>parry the the second form and I don't use the first form (the red ball of
>death). Basically if they're in there hacking away (like most Yun/Yang
>players), then they are open to get hurt.

The second form doesn't have enough range to be useful. Consider
this, you can have a move which has about 3 pixels of range and does 50%,
or you can have a move which has about 1/2 inch of range and does 50% AND
dizzies AND gives you back some of your super meter AND doesn't have a
"backfire" option if you wiff with it. Btw, you CAN parry the second form
of the youri doushi, if you do it will revert to the red ball. There are
only 4 moves that you can't parry in SF3:1i - Alex's supers, Necro's slam
dance, Oro's Chaos Dimension super, and of course regular throws. If you
can block it, you can parry it.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
In article <see-sig-2201...@user-33qth2o.dialup.mindspring.com>,

Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
>> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>> >*grin* In 2i, I could have taken *anyone* apart with Alex.
>> No offense Frank, but this is because your opponent seriously sucked.
>Uh, no. They most certainly did not.

Well, Ibuki can beat up on Alex pretty badly if she has any clue what
she's doing.

>> If Ibuki jabs you once, you lose 50% of your life, and she's going to
>> be right on top of you when you get up. What are you going to do?
>
>Parries and various other tactics work quite well. I know
>which Ibuki combo you are talking about because they tried
>it on me all the time. It worked at first. Then I got
>better. Don't forget that you started that sentence with
>"if".

You must mean this one:
(optional overhead), jab->strong->fierce, EX upkick, short->fierce air
chain, land, repeat until out of meter, then end with cr. roundhouse,
standing roundhouse x3.

There are variations of this floating around but it's all basically the
same.

As to "parries and other tactics"... no, they work very much in Ibuki's
favor. Ibuki's jab is very difficult to parry, especially if Ibuki has
half a brain and is mixing in overheads, throws, and low shorts. ALL of
Alex's specials are stuffed by the jabs, as are most of his normals. He
can't super because Ibuki can see the super flash and then superjump in
reaction.

>> Alex can't really keep Ibuki away,
>Oh yes he can!

With what? Name a mid or long range move that is not easily
parried, AND doesn't get worked by Ibuki's own normals. There aren't any.

>> and doesn't have a way of stopping
>> her from jabbing mindlessly until one hits or you get tired of being
>> thrown/overheaded. That's just Ibuki.
>Anyone who can't deal with that is a bad player. Alex is
>incrediblly versitile in 2i and can deal with both air and
>ground attacks.

Ibuki does not need to jump at Alex ever. How are you going stop
her jabs?

>> Yang still gives me nightmares.
>I don't remember much about him. Most people around where I
>played didn't use him.

Here is yang's tech in 2i: Low short->low foward, if they block
stop, otherwise continue with QCF+P x3. This turns out to be game
breaking and puts him at the #4 spot in most rankings because the short is
too difficult to punish if he overuses it, and everything else is done
with the short to lead in.