[Ranma/Tenchi][FanFic] The Girl Who Wasn't and the Princess Who Was 2 (repost)

Darwin Cruz

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
second revision of chapter 2

Pug Productions

Author: Pug
dc...@ctron.com
cru...@rpi.edu
web address not yet avaliable.

Insert standard disclaimer here:
A fan fiction based on Takahashi Rumiko's Manga series, Ranma
1/2. The characters of Ranma 1/2 are the property of Takahashi
Rumiko and her licensees.
All characters portrayed in this story are owned by their
respective creators and companies. I don't own any of them. Please
don't
sue me.

Genra: Ranma/Tenchi Muyo Alternate Reality, cross-over.

Version notes:

Ver: 1.00 created: July 16 1999
This is still a draft. Forgive any spelling or grammar
mistakes.

Ver: 2.00 Slight change to the story line. Ending is different
from previous.
Some spelling and grammar corrections.

Previous: Ranma leaves the Tendo dojo in search of a cure to his
curse. To escape the fiancée mess, his mother has
disowned him from the Saotome clan. In his search,
Ranma has come to the Masaki Shrine and had met the
daughter of the priest there. Her name is Achika
Masaki.

The Girl who wasn't and the Princess who was.

Chapter 2.

Facing her was the Masaki sacred tree, a massive thing, resting
in the center of a small pond. From her place on one of the stone
steps, Ranma marveled at its beauty.

Ranma held her arms out, palms facing toward the tree. A faint
yellow glow surrounded her. This was her Ki. Everyone has their own
spirit force, or Ki, which was unique to each individual. Not only did
people have such auras, but so to do plants and animals. The aura that
the Masaki tree produced was amazing. The intensity of it was
awe-inspiring.

Not everyone could see the aura though. Only a select few, who
had trained in its use could even see or even manipulate Ki.

She reached out toward the tree by focusing her Ki. A
sensation of falling washed over her and in a blinding flash a New
World opened up as she probed deeper within the tree's aura. A
kaleidoscope of colored light danced around her, fleeting images
materialized in her mind.

Stars shone out in the blackness of space. In the open expanse
a deadly ballet was taking place as two great ships caught in flame and
fire fell to the blue sphere of Earth.

'What am I seeing? What is this?' Ranma tried to keep up with
the images.

The impact when the two ships crashed to the ground was
awesome. Trees for miles around lay flattened, and the ground was
smoking and blackened. From the remains of one of the craft a figure
appeared.

'A girl?' Ranma shivered looking at the woman. Her cyan
colored hair framed her red glowing eyes. 'Is this Ryoko?'

The demon flew across the sky, what little was left untouched
by the destruction of the crash fell before her as she unleashed her
own powers. It seemed as if the world would fall before her wrath.
But then another figure appeared before her. A handsome young man
dressed in pastel robes. In his hands was a glowing blade.

'Yosho!' Ranma looked in awe. She struggled to see more but
something was fighting her. Slowly the images were starting to fade.
Gradually she felt herself being pushed away. Using whatever strength
she had left she pushed back. But the harder she fought against it,
the stronger the resistance she felt.

The last image she saw was Ryoko struggling her last, as Yosho
ran his blade through her. When the demon died a calm washed over
Ryoko's face. The madness and anger were gone and a peaceful smile
rested on the girl's face.

In the blink of an eye Ranma found herself facing the Holy tree
again. She tried once to get up only to find herself completely
exhausted. She had used much of her Ki and had overextended herself.

Ranma glanced up at the sky. 'It's almost been two hours!'
With a tired groan, she got up and started to slowly make her way back
to the shrine.

****----***----****

Achika breathed deeply.

Adjusting her grip on the boken, she steeled herself and
launched out in another attack. "Heya!" she yelled. The clacking sound
of two wooden swords hitting each other was heard. After a series of
thrusts and slashes Achika fell back, disengaging from the duel to
catch another quick breath.

"Hmm... your form is getting better Achika-chan. But your still
dropping your guard too much. Keep your focus. Doing so becomes more
difficult when you become tired, " her opponent commented.

"Yes father. " Achika nodded. Taking another breath and facing
off with again.

Katsuhito Masaki, Shinto priest of the Masaki shrine moved with
the grace of a true master. His relaxed posture and casual grip on the
boken, showed the accustomed feeling of holding a blade in his hand.
Though still middle aged, there were wisps of gray in his mustache and
dark hair. He also wore a pair of rectangular wire rimed glasses which
sometimes caught the light as he moved. Of all the people Achika knew
she trusted and loved no one more.

"Much better," Katsuhito commented as he parried the incoming
strikes.

Achika could only manage a slight grunt as she struggled to
keep up with the older man. The two fought in an open area within the
grounds of the shrine. It had been the training ground of the Masaki
family for generations.

The sparring was conducted on top of small wooden pegs anchored
to the earth. Achika and her father not only had to concentrate on
attacking and defense, but also on balance and form as they stood
precariously on their perches.

"If you had kept up your training during school you would still
be in shape." He said with that incorrigible grin of his.

"I am in shape!" Achika said, her knuckles turning white on
the boken. "Just not great shape."

Blocking the last of her swings, Katsuhito leapt back and
bowed, ending the day's session. Achika returned the bow glad that
practice was over. Her shoulders slumped from the exertion. Seeing
her father's face she frowned. "Your enjoying this aren't you father?"

"Ah, so how was your day." Katsuhito asked, wisely changing the
subject.

"It was the same as usual." She said relaxing.

"Did you meet anyone interesting?"

"Y-yes... yes I did." Achika said a bit surprised.

"A young girl I believe."

"How did..."

Katshito looked off in the distance, the sun catching his
glasses. "She has red hair tied in a pigtail and wears Chinese
clothes."

Achika could only nod. 'How does he know?' When she was
growing up her father has always hinted about some greater power within
the Masaki line. 'Hidden potentials within you Achika-chan' were his
exact words. Was this it? An ability to see things which others
can't.

"Father, do you have ESP?"

Katshito leaned in his face taking a serious expression.
"No..."

"Then how..."

His eyes narrowed. "She's standing behind you." He pointed.

"Uh, hi a Achika." Ranma said lamely waving her hand.

Achika face-faulted.

Taking a moment to recover. "How long were you standing there
Ranko? And why do you keep sneaking up on me?" Achika said trying to
get back some of her dignity.

"I didn't mean to do it again. I was watching you practice and
since I didn't want to disturb you, I waited till you were done.
Sorry..."

Achika sighed, she was more annoyed at her father than she was
at Ranko. "It's ok Ranko."

"Achika, why don't you introduce your friend," the older man
suggested.

"Ranko, this is my father, Katshito Masaki. Father, this is my
friend, Ranko."

"Pleased to meet ya. " Ranma replied.

"You have a very cute friend, Achika-chan." He patted Ranma on
the head. "All visitors are welcome here. "

"Thank you Masaki-san," she said through her teeth. Ranma
smiled weakly. 'Cute !?!'

"Father, Ranko came up here because she is interested in the
Holy tree. Since you know more about the history of the shrine, I was
hoping that you could help her. " Achika explained.

Ranma nodded. "I read stories about the people being healed
when they came up to this shrine. I wanted to know how you could cure
somebody if you needed to. I would appreciate any help that you could
offer. " Ranma bowed deeply.

"Hmm... The Holy tree..." Katshito mused as he rubbed his
chin. His face took on a mask of deep thought. "Ah yes, now I
remember..."

Ranma's heart raced. 'He knows the secret of the tree! He knows
how to cure me! I'm never going to be a girl again!' The redhead hung
on every word the older man spoke.

"Ah yes, now I remember..."

"Yes?"

"It's a secret." The old man smiled.

"What?!?" Ranma exclaimed as her jaw hit the ground.

"But you are welcome to stay as long as you like. Achika-chan,
why don't you invite your friend for dinner. I still have some things
to finish at the shrine. I'll be home for dinner. Bye-bye." He said
walking off leaving the two girls.

"Ranko, you can close your mouth now." Achika suggested.
"Ranko? Ranko?"

**--*--**

"You have a nice home, Achika," Ranma commented looking at the
small house. The exterior was in good shape showing the effort put
into maintenance. It sat by its lonesome at the edge of a lake. The
surrounding view of the trees and hills framed the house in a serene
setting.

"Father built it himself," Achika said proudly. "Please come
in."

Ranma looked around. It was a cheerful place bestowing a sense
of safeness. She placed her backpack down in a corner where no one
could trip on it.

"Please make yourself at home Ranko. Sorry if it's a bit
messy. Its just me and father living here. Mother was the neat one."
She smiled sadly.

Ranma nodded understanding. "Where are you going. "

"Upstairs for a quick change, then I need to start dinner.
Father is a horrible cook." She grimaced recalling growing up on
Katshito's cooking.

"Would you like some help cooking dinner?" Ranma offered. She
wanted to do something to help.

"Give me a few minutes and I'll be right down." Achika said
lightening up.

Ranma sat down on one of the steps of the stairs. Her brows
knit as she brooded over the day's events From the first moment she saw
it, she knew it was what he was looking for. She had felt pricks on
the back of her neck from the life-force the tree radiated.

'I'm positive that the tree can cure my curse! I just got to
figure out how..." Asking Masaki-san had been useless. 'What am I going
to do now?'

Ranma was about to chalk up her trip to the shrine as complete
waste when Achika came back down. She wore a pale blue dress and her
hair was "Sorry to keep you waiting."

'I guess coming here wasn't a total waste.' Ranma smiled. "No
problem Achika."

**--*--**

Achika started getting the pots they would need for the meal
while Ranma started preparing the vegetables. As Achika was reaching
into the cupboard to pull out a pot, She heard a battle cry sound out
from the redhead. Turning around her eyes widened.

"Ha!" Ranma said tossing up a head of lettuce into the air.
Then taking a kitchen knife, she slashed at it, her movements becoming
a blur. What was once a head of lettuce fell into a waiting bowl.
Ranma did the same thing again with a tomato, this time sectioning it
into equal pieces. When she was finished with the rest of the
ingredients, she tossed the ingredients into a wok and began the
stir-fry.

Achika applauded the feat of dexterity. "Ranko that was
amazing. Where did you learn to do something like that?"

Ranma laughed. "Thanks Achika. I guess it was Pop's idea.
He was the one who always said that a martial artist was in constant
training. So I kind of started seeing everything as an exercise."

Achika nodded. She was a bit surprised at how far martial arts
was ingrained into Ranko. She walked over and sampled the dish.
"Ranko, this is great! You really do know how do cook."

"Yeah well, I had to learn myself since my fiancée couldn't
cook worth a..." Ranko froze.

"Fiance!!!" Achika choked on the bite of food.

"Oh boy..." Memories of the fiancée mess came back.

"Your getting married?"

"No, it's not like that!" Ranma frantically gestured. "It was
my Pop's idea."

Achika blinked. "An arranged marriage?"

"Ranko's shoulders sagged. "Yeah, pretty much. See, Pop and
this friend of his were training buddies. Well, they made an agreement
with each other to marry their children together so that the two
schools of Anything Goes Martial Arts would be joined. In fact, my Pop
took me away from my mother to train me in the art for ten years. "

"Isn't that a bit old fashioned? And if you are engaged, what
are you doing here?" Achika blurted.

"My fiancée and I didn't get along very well. Our fathers were
forcing us pretty hard but all that did was make things worse. We
fought a lot, and I usually ended up getting hit..." Ranma replied
distantly as she recalled the first time he met Akane and being brought
low by a coffee table.

"Your fiancé beat you?!?" Achika felt her blood boil as she
imagined some large brute manhandling the petite redhead. 'What kind
of scum would do that to a girl?!?'

Ranma continued on oblivious to her words were implying. "You
get use to it after a while," she mumbled.

"What?" Achika gasped in horror. "How could your father
expect you to marry someone like that? Especially when you get abused.
"

"Well, it was a matter of family honor, and besides, I've taken
harder hits from my Pop." Ranma said proudly.

Achika couldn't believe what she was hearing. What kind of
hell did Ranko go through? Growing up with an abusive father, then
being forced into a marriage with some jerk that was no better. Then
Achika pieced together the puzzle in her mind. "Is that why you're
here then, Ranko? To get away from those horrible people?"

"Yeah, I..." Ranma cut off when Achika grabbed her in a rough
hug.

"Oh Ranko, you're so brave to run off like that."

"Huh?!?"

"You did the right thing Ranko. Your father is a monster if he
strike at his own daughter. My own father has never done anything
like that, no matter what I've done. And no woman deserves a beast of
a husband who hurts her. He didn't do anything else to you did he?"
Achika said in a concerned voice.

"H-Husband?" Ranma blurted. She sudden realized what Achika
was implying. "Achika, your getting the wrong idea it wasn't like
that. You don't understand, " Ranma said, desperately trying to find a
way out of this mess.

"But your fiancé..."

"It's not as bad as it sounds. We were both martial artists so
we both knew how to pull our punches." 'At least I did, whenever Akane
and I sparred' Ranma thought. "And my Pop just had an odd sense of the
word 'training'. You wouldn't believe the sort of stuff he had me do.

"It just sounded so horrible though. " Achika said still
unconvinced.

"Well it wasn't no picnic, which is why I left. To get out of
the marriage agreement, my mother had to disown me from the family so
that our honor would remain intact. She was the only one who helped me
get away from everything. Now I don't even have her anymore..."

Achika didn't know what to say. She looked at Ranma, who
stood with a dejected expression, wondered how a person's life could
get so complicated.

**--*--**

"This is delicious Achika-chan," Katsuhito commented after
tasting the food.

Achika blushed. "Actually, Ranko was the one who did most of
the cooking. I just helped."

"Couldn't have done it without you Achika," Ranma said with a
mouth full of food.

Katsuhito nodded, "You'll make a good wife someday Ranko-chan."
He smiled.

A sweatdrop appeared on Ranma's brow.

"Uh, Ranko? Where are you planning to stay the night? Achika
asked.

"I usually camp out. The weather is pretty nice this time of
year so it isn't that bad." She filled her bowl up with rice again.
It was her third bowl.

Achika was still working on her first bowl of food. 'How dos
she eat so much and still keep her figure like that?' she wondered
enviously. "Ranko, you could stay here for the night. Right father?"

"It's dangerous for cute girls to be wandering alone at night."
Katsuhito agreed.

"It's settled then. Ranko you can share my room." Achika
smiled.

"I-I wouldn't want to impose." Ranma said a bit nervous. "The
couch here is fine."

"Oh..." Achika said a bit disappointed. It would have been
nice to have someone to talk to.

The rest of the meal was enjoyed quietly.

****----***----****

Ranma sat alone. That morning she had tried once again to reach into
the tree, and once again found herself being pushed back. She was
about to get up when she felt someone approaching.

"Beautiful isn't it?" The figure said.

"Yeah it is." Ranma said not facing the older man.

"You woke up pretty early. It must be an important thing your
looking for," Katsuhito commented. He glanced at the backpack by
Ranma's side.

"I can't find what I'm looking for unless you help me. Will
you tell me the secret of the Holy tree?" Ranma said bluntly.

"No."

"Why?"

"I told you, it's a secret." The priest smiled.

Ranma shot out an irritated look. "If that's the way it is
then..." With a heavy stride she started to walk off slinging her
backpack on.

As she passed the older man, Katsuhito sighed and shook his
head. "Ah a pity today's youth, spoiled beyond belief, expecting
everything to be handed to them on a silver plate."

Ranma stopped. "What was that 'old man'?"

Katushito continued as if he wasn't interrupted. "They give up
so easily, not willing to put any effort in what they set out to do.
Just up and running away when the going gets tough.," he said shaking
his head sadly.

"Are you saying what I think your saying 'old man'?" Ranma
said through her teeth.

"What a sad future our society has to look forward to. Not
only have our children become a bunch of quitters, but their dense now
too. Maybe television is to blame."

Something in Ranma snapped. Who was this guy thinking he was.
'How dare he judge me! The jerk has no idea of the thing's I've gone
through! Call me a quitter!?!? Me, Ranma Saotome!?!?" "Shut yer trap
'old man'! I ain't no quitter and I've never given up give up!"

"Oh your still here? I thought you had already left."
Katsuhito said.

"That's it 'old man'. You asked for it "I challenge you!!!"
She took on a battle stance. "If I win you tell me the secret of the
Holy tree."

"And if you lose?" Katsuhito's eyes narrowed.

"I do what ever you want."

He nodded. "Rules?"

"Sudden death. First clean strike wins."

"Agreed," the priest said taking a similar stance to Ranma's.

'All right 'old man', let's see how good you are with out your
stick,' Ranma smiled to herself. With a battle cry she leapt forward
and attacked.

**--*--**

Achika wiped her brow. It was getting hotter now that the sun
was coming up. She was kneeling down carefully pulling the weeds from
the garden. Most of their food was grown there. The careful tending
and caring for the plants had always yielded a bountiful harvest. But
what Achika loved the most about the garden was that it had been her
mother's.

That morning she had woken, finding Ranko up and out. The
redhead seemed preoccupied with something.

Ranko had seemed troubled after last night's dinner. When she
had asked her about it, the redhead had told her the frustration she
felt concerning the Holy tree. Her father and refused to give any
information about the curative abilities of the tree even after Ranko
practically begged him for an answer.

Achika had never seen her father turn down a plea for help
before. She didn't know what to make of it. She had privately asked
him why he refused and his response had been that irritating grin of
his. Achika knew her father well enough that she wouldn't be able to
get anymore out of him.

As she pulled out another weed, Achika turned her thoughts to
Ranko again. It was obvious that the girl wanted something cured, but
what? The redhead was a perfectly health girl. She was a bit of a
tomboy Achika conceded but other that that Ranko was quite normal. She
had hoped that she could have found out why Ranko was so desperate for
a cure. It came from a mix of curiosity and a sincere wish to help her
friend.

"Achika-chan." She heard her father's voice. Looking up she
saw her father dressed in his usual attire and beside him a very
annoyed looking Ranko wearing the same Shinto garb she was wearing.

"R-Ranko?" She said looking back and forth between the two.

Katsuhito smiled. "Ranko will be staying with us for a while.
In fact, she has volunteered to help you with your duties around the
shrine. Achika-chan, please show her the proper way things are done.
I know that Ranko-chan here is very excited about learning here.
Right?"

"Yeah... great...can't hardly wait..." the redhead deadpanned.

"I'll leave you two now then." He patted Ranko on the head.
The girl was livid.

As soon as her father was out of earshot, Achika raised an
eyebrow and looked at Ranko. "All right, spill it."

**--*--**

"I can't believe you challenged my father!!!" Achika
exclaimed.

"I can't believe I lost!" Ranko said viciously tearing out a
weed.

"What did you expect!?! Ranko, I know your good but father is
a grand master at kendo. He spent years training. You just don't
challenge someone like that and expect them to be a push over." Achika
shook her head, the girl wasn't listening.

'I lost! I shouldn't' have lost but I did!' Ranko knew her
abilities and was confident in her skill. She knew that she wasn't the
best in the world but she believed that she was at least in the top
ten. The only people that she had ever lost consistently to were
Happosi and Cologne, but they had three hundred years of experience
under their belt, Katsuhito was the same age as his father who Ranko
had surpassed years ago.

'How could I have lost?!?' Ranko thought as she replayed the
fight back in her mind.

**--*--**

Ranma leapt into the attack with a battle cry. Charging
forward, she started with a quick series of punches and kicks. She
didn't feel like hurting Achika's father too much so she had decided to
stick to the basics.

Katsuhito met the ferocity of her attack head on. With each
punch and kick Ranma threw the priest would either block or dodge. The
older man matched her speed for speed and skill for skill. As
Katsuhito defended himself he refrained from launching his own
offensive. In fact when Ranma stepped back to reevaluate her tactics,
the priest yawned. This irked Ranma even more.

'All right then. This time for real!' Ranma launched herself
into the air. The specialty of the Saotome School of anything Goes was
mid air combat. She was surprised when Katsuhito followed. The two
met in mid air in a furious exchange with Ranma just barely fending off
the man's strikes.

Ranma landed to the ground with a tumble. 'What's going on?!?
He doesn't even have his stupid sword.' As if reading her mind,
Katsuhito waved his open palms at her and winked. With her jaw
clenched, Ranma charged again, this time holding nothing back.

Her movements were true to the advanced forms of Anything Goes.
The flowing unpredictable form of unrestrained adaptability being it's
foundation. A complicated barrage assailed her opponent, each movement
unreadable until the last moment of the strike. Mixed in with the
attacks were deceptions meant to throw off the defender, feints within
feints within feints. And through all this, Katsuhito kept up with
her.

Pulling the last trick out of her hat, Ranma pretended to
strike low with a sweep. Then as the older man went to defend, she
vaulted over him twisting in the air and landed behind. Seeing the
opening she punched. "Heeeyaaaaa!!!"

A 'smack' was heard was her fist connected. Ranma blinked.
Somehow Katsuhito had managed to stop her punch with his palm. 'How?'
Then as she was still to grasp how he had managed to do that, Achika's
father pulled his hand back. Ranma who had put all her weight forward
into the punch fell off balanced. A finger poked her on the forehead
which kept her from falling over.

"You lose." Katsuhito smiled.

**--*--**

"So since you lost your going to be staying here the rest of
the summer?" Achika asked.

Ranma nodded. "Yeah, but your father said that if I could ever
manage to beat him I'd be free to go and he would tell me the secret. "

"It won't be so bad Ranko," Achika said. With someone her age
to be with, spending a summer at the shrine didn't seem so lonely.

'I'll show that old man!" Ranma thought. She'd beat Achika's
father, if it was the last thing she'd do. And she wouldn't use any of
her 'special moves' either. 'I'll win fair and square. That'll teach
him!' Ranma got a maniacal look on her face and started laughing
evilly. Insert image of chibi Ranko jumping up and down over a
defeated Katsuhito.

Behind her, Achika grew a sweatdrop.

**--*--**

Time passed.

Days at the Masaki shrine became a routine. The mornings
started with Ranko and Katsuhito dueling it out on top of the wooded
pegs of the training grounds as Achika watched from the sidelines.
Each of the fight's ended as the previous others did with Ranko somehow
being humiliated by the older man. Achika could only shake her head at
Ranko's stubborn refusal to give up. It was apparent the redhead was
outclassed but each defeat only drove Ranko harder.

The girls would spend the rest of the day tending to the
shrine. Sweeping the stone steps, cleaning graves of old flowers and
offerings, and caring for the vegetable garden.

In the afternoons Achika would train with her father while Ranko
wandered off on her own. Achika wondered where Ranko spent her time.
After one practice, she looked around for the redhead and found her
sitting crossed legged by the Holy tree.

"I know that the answer I'm looking for is here Achika," Ranko
explained. "I can feel it. All I got to do is find it."

"Mind if I keep you company while you look?" Achika asked.
Ranko smiled.

Days turned to weeks and the two girls grew closer to each
other. Sweeping the steps was hardly an exciting task, so to pass the
time Ranko had told stories of her training trips. Achika enjoyed
listening about the places Ranko had visited and sights she had seen.

Achika shared her experiences at the shrine, telling all that
she knew of its past history. Since it's founding the shrine had
always been a sanctuary. 'All with a good heart are welcome here.' It
was a tradition passed down through the generations, and her father
lived true to the words that the hero Yosho had said himself.

The two girls also began teaching each other their respective
families form martial arts. Achika was a bit envious at how quickly
Ranko picked up the use of the sword, but Ranko was a good sensi taking
time to carefully show Achika the complicated forms which made up
Anything Goes.

During one such session Achika was balancing on the wooden pegs
showing off a piece of Masaki swordplay when she noticed Ranko wasn't
paying attention. "Ranko, is something wrong?"

"I'm so close." Ranko mumbled. "The tree... I almost had it
that time!"

"Ranko, will you please tell me what you need cured so
desperately. You told me that your not sick or dying and as far as I
can tell you perfectly normal. I'm your friend Ranko and I'm just
worried. You fight my father constantly and your spending more and
more time by the holy tree. It's becoming an obsession with you.
Please, I want to understand."

Ranko looked at her feet. "Achika..."

"I just want to help."

"I-I can't. It just so complicated. I don't want you hating
me..."

"Hate you? Ranko I..." She moved forward Trying to reason with
her friend. As she did so one of the pegs she stepped on gave way and
she found herself falling. She braced herself for the hard ground, but
instead a pair of firm hands caught her.

The moment she saw Achika falter, Ranko reached and caught her.
Ranko felt softness and warmth of Achika's body as she held her.
Their faces were only inches apart. Ranko could smell the scent of
Achika's perspiration, as the girl's breath fell on her lips. Ranko
felt a flush grow on her face. "I can't. I-I can't tell you." She
managed to stammer. She staggered back almost tripping on the pegs.
"Let's call a day Achika." With out waiting for a reply Ranko headed
swiftly back to the house.

Achika stood there, a breeze passed by. She had never seen
Ranko so distraught before. 'I went too far,' she thought. She slowly
walked home trying to think up an apology to her friend.

When Achika got home she caught Ranko coming out from a shower.
A towel was wrapped around her and her hair was still dripping.
"Ranko, I... I wanted to say I'm sorry for earlier. I promise never to
ask about it again."

"Achika, when I do get cured, you'll understand why I couldn't
tell you."

Achika nodded. "Are we still friends then?"

Ranko smiled putting Achika's fears to rest. "Bathroom is all
yours, and you could use a shower," Ranko sniffed playfully.

"Humph!" Achika said pretending to be annoyed. She walked
into the bathroom to take her shower.

As Ranko walked to down the hall Achika's voice screamed out.
"THIS WATER IS FREEZING!!!"

"Oops..."

**--*--**

Again time passed.

Ranma looked at he large house located in the hills. "What is
this place Achika?" Ranma asked as she unloaded the things from the
car.

"Every year father and I visit here It's a fairly popular
vacation resort. They close down for a week every time this year to do
maintenance. Father knows the owner so we get to go here for free
while no one else is around. Isn't that right father?"

Katsuhito who was helping Ranma unload nodded his head.

Just then an old lady came out from the pavilion and greeted
them. "Ah Achika-chan. It's good to see you again," the woman said.
Sachiko was the old friend of Katsuhito. She was the owner of the Hot
Springs resort. (S1)

Achika bowed. "It's good to see you also Obasan."

"And this must be your friend who your father said you were
bringing."

"Yes, this is Ranko."

"Hi." Ranma smiled.

"What a fine young girl. Achika-chan, you know where
everything is, make yourselves at home."

"Thank you, Obasan. Come on Ranko, I know you'll love this
place." Achika bubbled as she took Ranma's hand and led her away.

Walking down the halls, Achika turned into one of the doors and
pulled Ranma along with her.

"Where are we?" Ranma asked looking around.

"The changing room silly."

"What!"

"Here," Achika said handing Ranma a towel. "You can get
undressed in one of the stalls over there."

"B-but..." Before she could say anything more Achika had
entered a stall. 'What is this place?' Ranma thought as she quickly
undressed and wrapped the towel around her.

She found Achika waiting wearing nothing but a towel also.

"Come on." Achika said grabbing her hand once again.

"Where?"

"You'll see."

The two walked down the covered path of the resort. The narrow
walkway opened up to a large area. Ranma's eyes bulged out at what she
saw. In front of her was a large pond of steaming water, fenced in
with a bamboo wall and surrounded by various boulders.

"Well what do you think, Ranko? This is one of the most
popular hot spring resorts and we have it all to ourselves." Achika
said excitedly.

"H-hot springs?" Ranma's voice cracked.

"Let's go, Ranko. The water will feel great!"

"Achika, I... I can't... um..."

"What's wrong?" Achika saw the nervous look on Ranma's face.

"Swim! That's it! I can't swim Achika. Why don't you go in
with out me. I'll just stay here and..."

Achika laughed. "Ranko, the water barely reaches your waste in
some places." She began pulling Ranma toward the steaming water.

"No wait! Achika, I really can't" Ranma said frantically as
she edged closer to the edge of the spring. She grabbed a nearby
boulder near the edge and held on.

"Ranko, its only water. You're being a baby about this!"
Achika said tugging onto Ranma.

"I don't wanna go in!!!" Ranma yelled holding onto the rock
for dear life.

As the comical struggle continued near the water's edge,
Ranma's towel started to come lose. As it fell, Ranma instinctively
grabbed at it letting go of the rock before realizing her mistake. The
two girls quickly found themselves unbalanced and moments later two
splashes were heard hitting the water.

'NO!' Ranma thought as she saw the water quickly approaching.
'NOT LIKE THIS!!!' And then she felt the liquid's warm embrace and
shuddered at the change the soon followed.

Achika surfaced first. "Ha! Serves you... right... Ranko..."
Her words died in her mouth as she found herself facing a handsome
dark-haired young man who had no clothes on.

"W-who are you?" Achika said backing away fearfully. She held
on to her towel protectively.

"Achika, wait! It's me!" Ranma moved toward her but quickly
fell back into the water as he realized there was no towel around him.
"It's me Achika. It's me." He said quietly. He turned away from her
ashamed.

"R-ranko?" Achika said not believing her eyes. "How..."

"I'm cursed. Whenever I touch hot water I turn into a boy.
And whenever I touch cold water I turn into a girl. That's why I came
to the shrine, I wanted to find a cure..."

"Ranko, what are you? A boy or a girl." A faint blush
appeared on Achika's cheeks.

"I'm a guy!" Ranma replied automatically. "And Ranko is what
my mother use to call me in my girl form. I never meant to deceive you
Achika, please believe that. I never planned on staying at the shrine
but losing to your father and trying to find the secret of the Holy
tree... It hurt keeping it from you, but I didn't want you hating me,
or thinking I was some kind of freak. I... I... I'm sorry, Achika..."

Achika could only stare at the boy in front of her. 'Ranko, it
that really you?" She thought. Memories came back to her. The first
time they had at the shrine, the times the spent working in the fields,
and company they shared just talking to each other. Her mind struggled
with the concept of Ranko actually being a boy.

And then she saw his eyes, and she knew. From the moment she
had first met the redhead, Ranko had always been a true friend. Achika
had always been able to read Ranko's face like a book, and when she saw
her eyes, Achika would sometimes see a quiet sadness to them. Achika
saw that sadness now in the eyes of the boy facing her. What ever the
curse may have changed, it didn't change who Ranko was inside.

"Ranko... what did your mother call you as a boy?" Achika asked
softly.

"Ranma..." he replied.

Achika felt the blush grow on her face as she looked at Ranma.
His body was firm and well muscled. Years of rigorous training in
martial arts had shaped Ranma's physique into an elegant yet powerful
from of masculinity.

The cuteness of Ranko's face was toned down by the more angular
features on Ranma,s face. But that served to give him a more mature
and handsome quality. In either form though, Ranma's most striking
feature were his blue eyes.

'What do I do now?' Achika thought looking at him.

**--*--**

Ranma struggled to look at anything other than the girl across
from him. When he had first come to the shrine he had considered
Achika a beautiful girl. This wasn't anything new to him though. If
anything the fiancée mess left him wary of women. But the more time
they spent together, the more he had begun to notice Achika. As he got
to know her better he saw a beauty that was more than skin deep.

He had fought against the feelings growing within. 'You just
got out of one mess, you don't need to get your self into another one.
And you got more important things to do, like getting your cure!' With
each passing day Ranma found it harder push those feelings down.

'Now what do I do?' he thought looking across to Achika.

**--*--***

"Ranma," Achika began.

"Achika," Ranma also started.

The two found themselves looking at each other's eyes.

"..." Achika swallowed. Was it her or did some one turn up the
water temperature.

"..." Ranma felt a nosebleed coming.

The awkward silence was broken when an old woman entered the
pavilion. "Achika-chan, I brought you and Ranko-chan some extra
towls." The woman said.

"O-obasan!" Achika stuttered.

"Achika-chan? Is something wrong?" Sachiko asked. "Where's
Ranko-chan?" Her eyes finally came upon Ranma who was frozen shock.

The old woman dropped the towels she was carrying and screamed.
"Pervert!!!"

In the ensuing commotion Ranma was sent running for his life as
the old woman chased him around the vacation spot wielding a large
broom. He managed to lose the old woman but still continued to run
just to be on the safe side.

It wasn't until Achika's father stepped in did the chase end.
He had grabbed Ranma by the pigtail as he ran by and brought the young
man to a halt.

"M-M-Masaki-san!" Ranma yelped seeing who had caught him.

Katsuhito leaned in with a serious expression. His rectangular
caught the light giving him and intimidating expression. "Hmm... The
men's locker room is that way Ranko-chan," he said pointing to one of
the doors. With a pat on Ranma's head, Katsuhito walked off.

"..." Ranma stood there dumfounded. 'He knew?" By the time her
recovered from the shock, he saw Sachiko-san barreling down at him.
The last things he heard were the sound of the broom handle connecting
with his head and Achika asking if he was all right.

****----***----****

"Hmm... I thought I'd find you here."

"Masaki-sensi," Ranma said.

"This is a good place." Katsuhito said simply. The two of
them stood on a ridge which overlooked forested grounds of the below.

"You knew didn't you?" Ranma asked. "You knew about my curse
since the beginning."

The older man nodded.

"You didn't say anything. Why?"

"It didn't seem important to mention." He said simply.

"But I lied to you and Achika."

"Everyone has something they wish to hide. Everyone has his or
her own secrets they want to keep. "

Katsuhito placed his hand on Ranma's shoulder. "Achika told me about
your family. It is difficult to me alone. I know I too left my family
on somewhat difficult terms. But I found peace.

Ranma saw a distant look on the man's face.

"Ranma, what ever the curse changes, it does not change the
person you are within. You have a good heart and that is all that
matters. Ne? You are welcome at the shrine for as long as you wish.
You've worked hard up till now, so it's a fair trade. As for your
cure, it is something you should fine for yourself."

Ranma nodded understanding. Looking at the older man, Ranma
swallowed his pride and spoke. "Masaki-san, if you won't tell me the
secret of the Holy tree, till you train me instead?"

Katsuhito looked at him and smiled. "What do you think I've
been doing the last month?"

Ranma had always seen Katsuhito as playful lighthearted man
seeming to take nothing seriously. But at the same time, Ranma also saw
wisdom in the man's eyes and kindness in his voice. "Thank you
sensi," Ranma said sincerely.

****----***----****

Galaxy Police headquarters, the future.

The command center was in a state of panic. Techs sat at their
consoles frantically typing away at the keyboards.

"Sir, the main containment is failing!" A tech officer
reported to the Grand Marshal.

"Reroute all power to the security field. Seal off the main
detention block immediately." The marshal barked.

"Yes sir, in progress now sir!" As the man hurriedly worked at
his terminal, A shudder passed though the whole of the complex.

"Report!"

"Sir, sensors report a tear forming in the time space
continuum! Point of origin is Central containment! It's growing
exponentially sir!"

More shudders followed. "Explosions reported on all decks.
Cause is the spatial tear. Emergency and backup systems are not
responding!"

The Marshal looked at the following reports gravely. "Begin
evacuation of headquarters. Send out a distress call to all ships as
well as to the Jurian royal family!"

As the officers worked to comply one man screamed out, "The
security field is down!!! He's free!!! Kain is..." In a blinding
flash of light the Galaxy Police headquarters disappeared. In the
fluctuating energies left behind, a face formed. Kain had returned.

End (for now)

Story Notes:

(S1): In the OVA series Tenchi and the gang went to the resort. The
old woman was there. Her name was never given. According to the
Tenchi encyclopedia, she is actually Tenchi's great-great-grandaunt.

On this piece I have concentrated on the growing relationship between
Achika and Ranma. They seem like an interesting couple.

As for the setting of the story, it is based on the "Tenchi Muyo In
Love" movie. The time this takes place at would be around the 70's.

Author Notes:

Due to positive responses to the first part, I have continued my pet
project. Hopefully this will also be met with good results. I'd like
to thank everyone for their support and the helpful comments and
criticism I've received vie e-mail.

As always I look forward to any suggestions anyone has to offer. Feel
free to e-mail me.

Dc...@ctron.com
Cr...@rpi.edu