[Ranma][FanFic] "Wanderer" Part 2 (repost)

fher...@yahoo.com

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
"Tendou-kun, where is Saotome-kun?"

Akane blinks, then gazes at Hinako Ninomira. "What did you say,
Sensei...?" she sniffs, her cheeks damp.

"Akane-chan, what's wrong?!" the child-teacher gasps on seeing her sorrow,
moving to comfort. "Did you and Ranma have a fight?"

Akane shudders, then sighs. Once Nabiki got wind of this, everyone'd
know...*and be much poorer for it!* she darkly adds to herself. Time to take
control. "Yes, we did have a fight, Sensei. A real bad one, too. Ranma...has
ended the engagement between us."

Silence. Eyes lock on the shivering woman in their midst, then travel to
the empty desk beside her. Hinako gapes, then sighs. "Oh, Akane-chan, I'm so
sorry..."

"Thank you," Akane smiles.

"But, still, that doesn't give Saotome-kun the right to skip classes..."
Hinako returns to the front of the class.

"Not unless she elects to leave the school as well!"

Eyes spin to the door to see Ranma standing there. "Saotome-kun!!" Hinako
gapes.

"Hey, Ranma, where's your pigtail?!" Hiroshi demands.

"What's with the necklace?!" Daisuke adds.

"Please!" Ranma sighs, then pulls out an apple, handing it to Hinako.
"Here you go, Sensei."

"Um...why, thank you, Ranma-kun!" Hinako grins, then stares at her. "Um,
is it true that...?"

"It's over between Akane and I?" Ranma muses. "Hai, it is. Further, I'll
be renouncing my family, which will then end ALL the engagements my idiot
father forced on me. I'll have to deal with Shampoo on my own time, however.
And to make sure that no one gets it into their heads to come after me, I'll be
taking my leave of Japan. I was just with the principal withdrawing from the
school. I just came to tell you, then clean out my locker and go."

Hinako stops, gazing intently at the redhead before her. Ranma didn't
speak with her usual male brashness or the shy stammer she produced when
dealing with emotionally sensitive topics. Her voice was weighed with
conviction. "I see..."

"I will admit that you've made my life...interesting, Sensei," Ranma adds.
"I hope that one day, you'll find a cure to what Jiji did to you when you
were a kid. You don't deserve to be this way."

"I...thank you," Hinako smiles.

Ranma then faces the rest of the class. "Sorry to trip out on you like
this. Take care, everyone."

She bows, then calmly heads out of the room. Everyone remains frozen for
a moment, then bolt up to follow. "Sit down!!!" Hinako snaps as they storm to
the door, streaming outside...and stopping in their tracks. "What...?"

Hinako walks into the hallway, then looks both ways. It was quite a
distance to either stairwell to the lower floors; at Ranma's casual pace, she
would've remained in everyone's sight. "Where'd Ranma go?!" Hiroshi wonders.

"Man, I've never seen ANYONE move that fast!" Daisuke muses.

"Alright, that's enough!" Hinako sighs, drawing out one of her handy
fifty-yen coins. "Into the class, everyone! If Saotome-kun has made his
choice, then you have nothing to say for or against it! Back to your seats!!"

Seeing the coin, they quickly scoot to their places. Akane remains by the
door. "Sensei?"

"Yes, Tendou-kun?" Hinako gazes at her.

"You better say 'her' when you talk of Ranma these days."

"Why?!"

"Because she...told me that she had frozen herself as a woman this
morning," Akane shudders. "She can never be a man again."

Hinako's eyes widen...

* * *

"Wanderer"
a fantasy crossover tale of Ranma Saotome
by Fred Herriot
fher...@hotmail.com
**** **** ****
Based on "Ranma 1/2," created by Rumiko Takahashi; "NoeL - La Neige," created
by Pioneer LDC; and "Major Raeburn," created by Fred Herriot
**** **** ****

NOTE: This is a rewrite of the original version of Part Two, released to
r.a.a.c. in September 1998. The other parts will be heavily rewritten over the
next couple of weeks; please remove them from all archives. Certain elements
of this story are being redone to reflect comments and criticisms made by
readers in the wake of the release of Part Three. Given the complex situation
of Ranma's love life (does s/he have one?), it's hard for ANY fanfic writer to
satisfy all Ranma fans as to who will be with Ranma at the end, so if you don't
like the way this version comes out, I apologize.

**** **** ****

PART TWO - TRANSITION

Morning recess...

"Where Airen?!!"

The smoke and dust settles in the school cafeteria in the wake of another
of Shampoo's smashing entrances, the displeased look on the warrior-maiden's
face clearly indicating her foul mood after missing Ranma on her morning
delivery run. Everyone stares at her, then returns to their own business.
Shampoo growls at their ignorance, then spots Akane. "Where Airen, Violent
Girl?!!"

"Gone," Akane doesn't look at her.

"Where?!!" Shampoo demands, slamming her hands on the table.

"Don't know. You know how that baka doesn't like to tell me things!"
Akane sighs. "Go look for him."

Shampoo shudders, then snorts. "Hmpth! Shampoo believe that Ranma
finally tire of putting up to stupid violent tomboy!! Once she find Ranma,
Shampoo will show who really loves him!"

"Your husband is dead."

Silence. Shampoo pales, then gazes again at Akane. "What Violent Girl
say...?"

"You heard me," Akane icily smiles. "Your husband is dead, Shampoo.
Ranma WILLINGLY stripped HERself of HER manhood, froze HERself into HER cursed
form. I doubt even your idiot laws would permit you to marry another WOMAN,
Shampoo!"

Shampoo shudders, her eyes widening as the implication of Akane's words
hits home. She gazes into her rival's eyes, then fearfully gulps on seeing no
sign of duplicity. "You...no lie! Why...why Ranma do that...?" she stammers.

"What better way to get rid of you?" Akane muses. "I doubt that you'd
want to go back to your original task and kill Ranma, even if your
great-grandmother ordered it, Shampoo. And if you go back to Joketsuzoku
empty-handed, I can pretty well guess how your tribespeople will react. Either
way, you lose big time. Which is what you deserve for the misery and pain
you've brought unto us!"

Silence falls as everyone awaits Shampoo's answer. The warrior-maiden
looks down, eyes tearing as the possible result of THIS hits home. If Ranma
chose to become a woman full-time, her tribe could order her back on the
original mission which resulted from their duel at the tournament after Ranma
was cursed. And after all this time, Shampoo knew very well she couldn't kill
Ranma. Why? What had happened to make Ranma do THAT...?!

No! Ranma would NEVER become a woman full-time willingly! The only way
THAT could've happened was if something made Ranma take that choice. "You do
that to Ranma!!" Shampoo spins on Akane, her bonbori at the ready. "Stupid
violent tomboy hit Ranma on head, then make Ranma think he woman!! You
die!!!"

Akane bolts back as Shampoo's weapons fly at her skull...

"HAPPO-GO-JUU-YEN-SA-TSU!!!!!!"

Shampoo screams as her fighting chi is sucked into Hinako, dropping to the
floor as the teacher regains her proper adult dimensions. "Someone take this
idiot back to her restaurant and tell her great-grandmother that if she ever
comes to disturb the school again, it'll be the last thing she ever does!"
Hinako snarls, then looks at Akane. "Tendou-kun, have your sister come see me
as soon as she can. I think it's time we expel this twit and her clansmen back
to China where they belong!"

"Hai, Sensei!" Akane nods...

* * *

U-chan's...

"Had any problems?"

Ranma shakes her head as she places her backpack, now stuffed with all her
possessions, by the door. "No. Oyaji and Tendou-san were at the district
hall; I think the people're complaining about Jiji again. Kasumi was off
shopping, so I had the place to myself," she saunters to the counter, then sits
down. "So..."

Silence falls as they gaze on each other. "You must think I rigged this
to make you come to me," Ukyou muses.

"The thought has crossed my mind," Ranma crosses her arms.

"Remember the conditions," Ukyou holds up a finger. "One: you're an
orphan, either physically or emotionally. That's what I am; I fit that profile
better than anyone here except Ryouga. My father wouldn't accept me back
unless I've avenged our shame on your family. I don't want revenge anymore,
Ran-chan, not when it concerns you; you've got enough problems as is. Two:
enduring hardship growing up. I qualify for that, both emotionally and
physically. Not as much as you, I suspect, but enough. Three: be a woman. I
was born that way, Ran-chan, so that beats out Ryouga."

"So...where did my Jewel come from? You said we got drafted to the same
place," Ranma muses.

"Hai, that's right," Ukyou nods. "There were five Power Jewels scattered
through Kaemal's home solar system. Don't ask me why the Seekers did it that
way; they just did. I got one. You got one. And I suspect we'll be meeting
the three others sometime soon; my Jewel told me that they were selected some
years ago and have been fighting on Kaemal ever since."

"So how did you get here?" Ranma stares at the alien jewel on her bosom.

<<The first Jewel Warrior dispatched I and Ukyou's Jewel to this system
sometime ago when this world's Praetorian Guardian indicated that there were
two probable candidates to bond with us,>> the Jewel replies. <<In fact,
Ranma, you were the first chosen; you gained the interest of the Praetorian
Guardian as long ago as your training in the Cat Fist technique. It was
choosing your fellow warrior which was the harder task.>>

Ranma blinks, her cheeks flushing. The Praetorian Guardian, trained by
another alien immortal race of superbeings, was the "mystery-man" Lord Ryasan,
who for the last 5000 years had been fighting an endless war against those
extra-dimensional beings ancient peoples worshipped as gods and goddesses.
Ryasan, who currently resides in a castle outside the Russian city of the same
name, was a friend and ally of Major Raeburn. "Brother, I knew I was good, but
to have *him* take notice...?!" she shudders.

"You earned it, Ran-chan!" Ukyou smiles.

"So what made you choose U-chan?" Ranma then stares at the ruby jewel on
the chef's bosom.

<<To be fair, I did an analysis of all four of your would-be life-mates,>>
it calmly replies. <<For the first condition, the ones who automatically
qualified were Ukyou and Kodachi; Akane and Shampoo have quite intact families
to fall back on. For the second condition, Ukyou and Shampoo qualified; Akane
is not well-skilled in combat and Kodachi is too pampered to have EVER endured
true hardship. Everyone of course made the third qualification. I then added
a fourth given the circumstances: their attitudes towards you. The results I
drew are this: Shampoo's cultural bias would force her to consider you more a
possession than a person; Kodachi is too mentally unstable to be a proper
fighting partner, plus you have to remember her hatred of your female persona;
Akane has no control whatsoever over her temper and seems unwilling to alter
her adversarial approach to you; and...Ukyou, while she now understands and
accepts that you've always see her more as a friend than a life-mate, certainly
seems to be the ONLY person who cares for your feelings. In the situation you
will soon confront, trust and friendship are the paramount considerations.
You'll need them.>>

Silence falls as Ranma considers that. "It seems that given the
circumstances...you won, U-chan," she stares at the chef.

"Part of me...wouldn't want it this way, believe it or not," Ukyou sighs.
"Ran-chan, when I...realized that deep down, given a choice between Akane and
I, you'd choose Akane...it hurt me a lot. I tried not to be overt in
persuading you to choose me, certainly not like Shampoo or Kodachi came after
you. I didn't feel it was fair to you. But...I blinded myself to your real
feelings. You're a hard person to understand, Ran-chan..."

"And I used you at times," Ranma frowns.

"Yeah, you did, but like I said yesterday, none of us are innocent in that
regard," Ukyou shrugs. "But when my Jewel came by and told me that YOU were
the first chosen...and that of all of Ranma Saotome's would-be life-mates, *I*
was the one who fit the qualifications to stand by her...that was the happiest
day of my life. And I'm not throwing it away, Ran-chan!" she grins.

"Y'know, some would say that I don't really understand what you've endured
day after day," she adds. "That's the truth. I don't understand what you've
had to put up to...and if I want to say I want to be the one special person in
your life, I BETTER understand it pretty damned quick. There was Akane's
advantage over me, admittedly. She lived with you full-time, so she was right
in the middle of it when things happened. I only got into it when I had the
fortune to on the scene; other times, I learned it second hand from you when it
was over. I'm not going to let it happen anymore, Ran-chan. If I say that I
love you, then by all the Fates in the universe, I'm gonna made pretty DAMN
sure I'm at your side when you get into the middle of something!"

Ranma blinks, then sighs. "It'll take some time for me to get used to
that, U-chan," she admits. "Part of me wishes Akane had been chosen. The
reason I...cared for her is that she was always willing to stand up to me, show
me what I did wrong. Yeah, she made mistakes, but she's human. So am I. You
always agreed with me whenever I said anything, U-chan. That's great for
friendship, but I don't think a relationship can work on that regard."

"Maybe...we should stow the talk about relationships for the time being,
Ran-chan," Ukyou muses. "Remember, I got the whole revelation about Kaemal
too. I know what we're getting into. I don't think we can afford to open our
hearts then, can we?"

"No, not really," Ranma shakes her head. "This actually might be a bit of
a cop-out on my part. Incredible! I tried so much to NOT be like Oyaji and
here I am running away from it all..."

"No!!!" Ukyou snaps. "Damn it all, Ran-chan, don't say that!! You aren't
running away from anything!!! You're just trying to take back what's
rightfully yours in the first place: your life!!! And if those assholes out
there can't hack it, tough!!!"

"They won't agree with your logic, U-chan."

"Too bad," Ukyou smiles. "They can't change it now."

* * *

Furinkan High School...

"HE LEFT?!?!?!"

Nabiki gapes slack-jawed at Akane as they meet in the school cafeteria at
lunchtime, the surprise the middle Tendou feels at the decision Ranma had made
without her even SUSPECTING something like it coming total. "Yes, he left,"
Akane sighs. "He called off the engagement, then announced at homeroom that
he'll be renouncing his family. And that doesn't count the fact that he's now
frozen himself as a girl."

"How'd he do that?!! WHY'D he do that?!!" Nabiki screams. "Akane, you
know as well as I do what his mother'd do...!!"

"Ranma won't recognize Auntie Saotome as his mother anymore, remember?"
Akane stares at her, her body shaking. "He rejects his father, he rejects her,
too."

Silence falls as Nabiki shudders. Everything was flying out of control,
out of HER control most of all. Ranma had been the best money-making venture
she EVER had! Even discounting all the costs from the damages Ranma's presence
in the Tendou home had unleashed, Nabiki had made a handsome profit over the
last year. And now it had been totally stripped away! Staggering, she sinks
back into her chair. "So where is he...she?!"

"I don't know," Akane sighs, her eyes sullen. "And to be honest with you,
I don't care anymore!! If that baka decided to do all that, that's his...HER
choice! Let her go!!"

Nabiki sighs. "Akane, you don't really mean that, do you?"

Akane shudders. "What if I do?!"

"Bullshit!" Nabiki snarls. "You love Ranma with all your heart and soul,
Akane! Yeah, you fought with each other, but he was there for you when you
needed his help and damn it all, you were there when he needed your help!! It
was only your pride and what our fathers'd do if they ever found out how you
really felt that kept you and he silent! Right now, you better do something
really quick to get him back before news of this gets to Dad and Mr. Saotome,
much less everyone else!!"

"And what would that solve?" Akane rises. "You know, Ranma said something
to me this morning. She said to me that she didn't want to cause me any more
misery. She ADMITTED to me that she cares for me...and if that was love, then
yes, she loves me! She also said she wanted to give me my freedom of choice
back!! By ending the engagement and cutting herself away from her family, she
does that! Beside, you want to know what Ranma said about you?"

Nabiki jolts, shuddering, as Akane glares at her. "She said that she'd
rather KILL HERSELF than marry you! Doesn't that tell you something,
Onee-chan?! About how much YOU hurt Ranma with your USING hi-...her all the
time, extorting her, betraying her trust and making her life hell because it
was more convenient for you to make money than help Ranma try to have a
peaceful life?! I know why you want Ranma back; without hi-...her, you can't
make money anymore off Kunou and everyone else!! Well, get used to this,
Nabiki: not EVERYONE wants to be your personal money-puppets!!!"

Nabiki pales as Akane spins around and storms out of the cafeteria, the
door slamming shut behind her! Silence falls over the room as the middle
Tendou daughter gazes at the table, then sinks down, her eyes tearing. "Damn
you, Ranma, why...?!" she hisses, burying her face into her hands...

* * *

The Nekohanten...

"If what you said is true, Shampoo, we have a big problem."

Shampoo nods, now recovered from Hinako's power and sipping tea by the
bar. Cologne relaxes beside her. Mousse was trapped in a cage in duck form,
put there to keep him from taking advantage of that or glomping Shampoo. "What
we do now, Great-grandma?" Shampoo sighs. "Shampoo no want to..."

"I know, child," the elder warrior sighs. "Indeed, if Son-in-law has made
this choice willingly, then there is one other way to bring him into the
tribe: make Ranma your blood-sister."

"But Ranma might not want to come to village, Great-grandma."

"Yes, that's true. We now have to face up to our mistakes in our pursuit
of him, Shampoo," Cologne nods. "I doubt he'll ever fully trust me OR you for
that matter; our past actions in bringing him into the tribe would certainly
make ANYONE shiver. We also know he cares much more for the Tendou girl than
he...SHE lets on. And if Akane Tendou rejects Ranma as is, Ukyou Kuonji would
welcome her with open arms; she seems to be the ONLY one who accepted Ranma's
curse without any qualms, which speaks highly of her."

"Ranma always say Spatula Girl was his best friend," Shampoo sighs.
"Shampoo always...admire Spatula Girl for that; Ranma trust her. Still,
Shampoo may not want Ranma as blood-sister."

"Why not?"

"Great-grandma, Ranma then have right to choose successor as husband,"
Shampoo warns, then glances towards Mousse.

"Unfortunately true," Cologne wryly grins. "In fact, it would be epic
revenge on Ranma's part if she did just that."

"Do I seem that cruel to you?"

Both spin around to see Ranma at the doorway. Mousse honks. "Ranma!!"
Shampoo leaps up, then races at her. "Why?!! Why Ranma freeze herself as
girl?!! Why?!!"

Ranma stops her with a hand. "Put simply, I had no choice in the matter,
Shampoo," she sighs. "Now, if you don't mind keeping your hands to yourself,
I'd like to speak to Cologne, please."

Shampoo blinks, surprised at Ranma's calm words, then nods. Cologne is as
surprised, then her eyes focus on the glittering jewel on Ranma's bosom.
"Child, is that...?!"

"I assume you once met Major Raeburn," Ranma grins.

Shampoo gapes as the implications sink in, then stammers. "It not
possible! Only woman become Jewel Warrior..."

"Shampoo, what is Ranma right now?" Cologne hums.

Shampoo blinks, then slaps her forehead. "Oh, Shampoo stupid! Ranma
change into girl!! Why Shampoo no think...?"

"Believe me, it shocked me when it chose me, too," Ranma fingers the
glittering jewel, then sighs. "<<Elder Kun-lon. I'd like to speak to you
about the problem that now binds me to your great-granddaughter Xian-pu.>>"

Cologne blinks. "<<How did you learn Mandarin?>>"

"<<I'm trying out the translation function my Jewel has,>>" Ranma winks.
"<<Besides, given Shampoo's poor Japanese, I want her to properly understand my
reasons for doing this. It's only fair to her because I feel she will loose
much because of my actions.>>"

"<<Agreed.>>"

"<<May I also ask if Mousse can be reverted to normal? I'd like his input
into this as well.>>"

"<<Alright.>>"

After Mousse is reverted to normal and dresses, everyone sits around a
table. "<<First of all, I'd say congratulations are in order, Ranma,>>" Mousse
smiles. "<<To earn the right to wear a Power Jewel speaks highly of your
skill as a warrior. Yet...if I recall the exact qualifications of becoming a
Jewel Warrior, I'm quite mystified as to how you could've succeeded. I'm sure
Shampoo and Cologne would ask the same thing.>>"

"<<You're right to ask, Mousse,>>" Ranma nods. "<<The third qualification
was easily taken care of. If you don't see Ryouga transform into P-chan
again, don't be surprised. I was the cause of his being cursed, so I wanted to
settle that. Despite his always crawling into Akane's bed and being her pet,
I always saw him as a friend, probably my best friend outside U-chan. The
second qualification...well, after what I've been through, I fit that. As for
the first, in all essence...I am an orphan now. Given the situation with my
family, not to mention all my fiancees, there was no direction I could choose
which wouldn't hurt someone at the end. Shampoo's bond to me was potentially
the most tragic given the harshness of your laws. What was I to do?>>"

"<<So what will happen?>>" Cologne wonders.

"<<I will...renounce my family,>>" Ranma sighs. "<<In the end, I have no
choice. I have EIGHT fiancees arranged by my father with the Tendou family and
over our training trip! Can you believe that?! And all of them have equal
claim on me! Who do I choose?! If I choose one, the others lose face and
that's not fair to them! Atop that, there's my mother to consider. If I'm not
a 'man above men,' she'd want my life for it! Yes, I want to know my mother,
but I sure don't want to live under a death-threat from her!!>>"

She then shrugs. "<<You know...with the way things were going between us
all...I was so scared that someone would get really hurt if things flew out to
control! I don't want that; I got enough on my conscience already! I'm sure
deep down you wouldn't want it either, Cologne! Yes, your customs are harsh by
my standards, but I know deep down how much you care for Shampoo, how much
you've sacrificed to see her happy. So...when my Jewel came to me and we
conversed, I realized that the time had come to settle this mess once and for
all, hopefully with everyone getting something out of it. I...don't care about
myself anymore. My being what I am, where I've been over the last few years,
has hurt enough people. What happens to me...doesn't matter anymore.>>"

"<<It has to matter, Ranma,>>" Shampoo sighs.

"<<Maybe,>>" Ranma stares at her. "<<Yes, I can never fully trust you or
your great-grandmother, not for a long time to come. I...don't love you,
Shampoo, not like I care for Akane or Ukyou. You are a friend and fighting
companion, a good one. Cologne, you are the finest teacher I've EVER had;
you're in a class way beyond my father or Happousai. While I may've groused
and complained, I certainly haven't regretted learning what you've taught.
Mousse, you're just as good in your Art. You ALL are really a tribute to your
village and if your fellow villagers choose not to recognize that, to hell with
them is all I'd say!>>"

The three Nyu-che-zuu warriors blush. "<<But...by my actions or inaction,
I've hurt you all, too. I wouldn't consider myself worthy of you, Shampoo;
there's too much pain and mistrust between us to overcome,>>" Ranma stares at
Shampoo. "<<In fact, I don't even consider myself worthy of being your
blood-sister...but if that is the way you can go home with your honour intact,
back to your family and friends, where I'm sure you really want to be now, then
I'll do it. It's what YOU deserve, Shampoo...and I want to help you get
it.>>"

"<<Thank you, Ranma,>>" Shampoo smiles.

"<<That's always been your most admirable quality, Ranma...and potentially
your greatest weakness,>>" Cologne muses. "<<You've always been ready to
suffer before others suffer. It speaks well of you. Indeed, NO ONE deserves
to live the life you had; in ways, you are worse off than Ryouga. You could've
walked away from it all...in many ways, you've long had the RIGHT to walk away
from it all...and with your determination matched to a Power Jewel, none of us
could've stopped you. But, you are here and it'd be an insult to you if we
don't try to reconcile this mess together.>>"

"<<Thank you, Cologne,>>" Ranma nods, then stares at Mousse. "<<So, if I
do become Shampoo's blood-kin, I would...consider you the best person to take
my place. You've stood by her side through a hell of a lot, Mousse. In fact,
the amount of abuse you've taken from Shampoo is worlds worse than what Akane's
heaped on me. But I'd like one question answered if you don't mind. Given
your skill in weapons, even with your bad vision, you could really mop the
floor with Shampoo in a formal challenge. Why haven't you?>>"

Mousse tenses, as if Ranma had sprayed acid on him, then sighs. "<<You
wouldn't know about how I feel, Ranma. Not even Shampoo or Cologne know of
this. But...there are many men in the village who...despise the law of
combat-for-marriage. I am one.>>"

Shampoo and Cologne gape. "<<Mousse, no...!!>>" the former pales,
stunned.

"<<Why?!>>" the latter demands.

"<<Why not, Elder?!>>" Mousse wonders. "<<I love you great-granddaughter
very much, TOO much in fact! If that is a weakness in the eyes of others, so
be it! I accept it! What I DON'T accept is the fact that many marriages in
our village are forged out of what is tantamount to physical abuse! Wasn't
Joketsuzoku first formed to get AWAY from that Confucian nonsense about
servitude to ANYONE regardless of gender, orientation or wealth, Cologne?!
Have we forgotten that we're supposed to be a community which respects the
accomplishments of ALL, women and men alike?!>>"

He shudders, then sighs, his eyes sullen. "<<I...the very IDEA of raising
my fist against Shampoo, ESPECIALLY to earn her hand for marriage...?!>>" he
stammers. "<<Do you have any idea how SICK that idea makes me, Elder?! A
marriage won by challenge does NOT guarantee a happy home, not in my eyes! I
want Shampoo to be happy, to be strong and to be respected by her peers. I
want her to have a happy family, too! I would do anything to give her that,
but NOT when it's based on combat!! Even if...Shampoo does accept me after
saying this, I'm sorry, but I can't...hurt her, even if it's to win her hand.
I know how some'll sneer at her if we perform mock combat, how they'll say 'she
threw it' and insult her behind her back! Fine! If I must suffer in silence,
so be it!!>>"

Shampoo and Cologne stare at Mousse, stunned that this man, whom they
thought they knew so well, was actually so different. "<<Maybe it's time for
that law to be changed,>>" Ranma muses.

"<<You're right, Ranma, it's actually long past time it was changed,>>"
Cologne nods. "<<I do know of people like you, Mousse. Indeed, you have long
earned my respect even if I had to be harsh at you at times; I wanted Shampoo
to realize that on her own. But until the laws are actually changed, there is
only one way around combat-for-marriage...and that's where Ranma now comes
in.>>"

"<<If Shampoo agrees,>>" Ranma sighs. "<<The biggest problem we've all
had is the lack of acknowledgement we've shown for each other's freedom of
choice. I want Shampoo to have that.>>"

"<<Thank you, Ranma,>>" Shampoo smiles. "<<Mousse?>>"

"<<Yes?>>" he stares at her.

"<<Now...strange as this sounds, I find myself unworthy of your love,
after all I've done to you,>>" Shampoo shudders, her eyes tearing. "<<That it
was because of that choice you made, your being...One Who Suffers In
Silence...adds to my personal shame. I...if you want me, I would be happy to
accept. With Ranma's word, it can be done and you'd never have to break your
oath towards me. But...I need some time...to get used to this most of all.
I've seen you in a particular light for so long, it'll take me time...to
appreciate what you really are.>>"

"<<Cologne, do they have to marry right away?>>" Ranma asks.

"<<Not right away,>>" Cologne muses. "<<By your freezing yourself in your
cursed form, you are worthy of being Shampoo's blood-sister. By becoming
that, you have the right to stipulate BOTH who takes your place and how that'll
happen...and no one, not even I or my fellow elders, can question it.>>"

"<<Good,>>" Ranma nods. "<<Then let's make some arrangements. I've no
idea when the other Jewel Warriors watching over Kaemal will come by, so I'd
like this settled right away.>>"

Everyone blinks, surprised by her words. "<<Ranma...you're going to
another planet?>>" Mousse gapes.

"Hai," Ranma sighs. "<<There were five Jewels scattered in Kaemal's home
system. Three are taken, I was chosen as number four and there's a fifth also
here...>>"

"Ukyou?" Cologne muses.

"<<Why her?!>>" Shampoo wonders, trembling, then blushes. "<<I'm sorry.
I shouldn't think things like that now...>>"

"<<It's okay, Shampoo,>>" Ranma smiles. "<<Given the energy you've
expended over the last year to win me over, you'd still feel some jealousy over
U-chan and Akane. You're just as human as the rest of us. But...please
remember the qualifications to become a Jewel Warrior. You still have a family
to fall back onto...and now you can go back to them, thank the gods. Thanks
very much to my father and I, what happened years ago, U-chan can't claim
that.>>"

"<<I thought her father was still alive,>>" Mousse muses.

"<<Yes, he is, but he demanded that she'd do everything to avenge her
family's humiliation on my family,>>" Ranma sighs.

"<<The time for revenge is done.>>"

Eyes turn to see Ukyou standing at the doorway, a plate of piping hot
okonomiyaki in hand. "<<I see you caught onto this trick, eh?>>" Ranma
smiles.

"<<Got that right, Ran-chan!>>" Ukyou smiles, walking up. "<<Here you go,
everyone! A little peace offering for you!>>"

"<<Thank you, Ukyou...and congratulations,>>" Cologne smiles as everyone
digs in.

"<<Actually, Cologne, you better say 'good luck, you'll need it,'>>" Ukyou
sighs. "<<The critters we're going to be fighting on Kaemal aren't gonna be
pushovers.>>"

"<<Bad?>>" Shampoo wonders.

"<<They're worse than everything we've encountered to date combined,>>"
Ranma grimaces.

"<<That's bad,>>" Mousse shudders.

"<<Which means you better get some touch-up training before you two go,>>"
Cologne sighs. "<<Do either of you have any idea when your fellow Jewel
Warriors will arrive?>>"

"<<Not really,>>" Ukyou shakes her head. "<<I think they were going to go
all out on some groups...these things come from pocket dimensions around
Kaemal, by the way, sorta like the creeps the Sailor Senshi in Juuban
fight...so when they're wiped out, the others'd take pause and try to figure
out what to do next. How much of a pocket of time that'd give Yumi, Ryou and
Chisato, I've got no idea what amount of time...what is it?>>"

The three from China are pale. "Ukyou, say those names again, please!"
Cologne gasps. "Their full names!"

"Yumi Tachibana, Ryou Midorikawa and Chisato Kadokura."

Ranma jolts. "Yumi...Tachibana?!!"

"Ranma know her?!" Shampoo blinks.

"Yeah, she's the latest 'fiancee' thanks to Oyaji!" Ranma snarls, then
blinks. "Oh, gods...!"

"I was never your fiancee, Ranma-chan."

Eyes spin to the door as they behold three women, now dressed in coloured
sweatshirts with "NOeL" over white slacks. The tallest of them is a slender
beauty with long brown hair and brown eyes, an aristocratic air about her. The
shortest, about Ukyou's height, is a cute girl with a mischievous air, her
brown hair cut shaggy short at the shoulders, hazel eyes twinkling. Yumi
stands between them, her calm demeanour capable of making anyone feel at peace.
Barely visible under their collars were the intricate necklaces denoting the
source of their special gifts. "I trust we're not interrupting something
important?" Yumi smiles.

"Yumi, Ryou, Chisato!" Shampoo leaps up. "Why you come here?"

"Whattayamean you're NOT my fiancee?!" Ranma bolts up.

The shorter of the three smirks. "Well, Ranma-chan, love, you might say
that the 'agreement' Yumi-chan suckered your father into signing two years ago
actually saved your life!"

Ranma blinks. "Eh?"

Yumi chuckles as she walks up to Ranma, then gently embraces her. "Well,
Ranma-chan...say hello to your older sister."

"'Older sister?!'" everyone wonders.

"'Older sister?!!'" Ranma blinks, then shudders. "Excuse me, I wanna sit
down for a sec' here!! I don't get this!"

"You soon will, Ranma-chan," Yumi smiles...

* * *

The Tendou home...

"***HE DID WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!***"

Akane tenses as a wide-eyed Souun stares at her, the Tendou family and
their only houseguest relaxing around the living room table. "You heard me,"
she looks down, then hotly glares at Genma. "You can just kiss good-bye to
your child and all your dreams, 'Uncle' Saotome. He's frozen himself as a
woman and has told everyone in class that he...SHE...won't acknowledge any
relation to you anymore. I wonder what your wife'll say when she finds out!"

"Maybe 'assume the position!'" Nabiki darkly muses.

Genma winces as he interprets what "the position" could be, then jerks as
a sobbing Souun grabs him. "***GENMA, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT SON OF
YOURS?!?!?! HAS HE LOST ALL HIS SENSES?!?!?! HOW CAN OUR SCHOOLS, OUR
FAMILIES, CONTINUE WITHOUT HIM?!?!?!***"

Genma is blown out the door by the sonic boom, crashing into the koi poind
and transforming, passing out at the same time. "So now what do we do?!"
Nabiki crosses her arms.

"Akane!!!" Souun spins on his youngest. "You MUST find Ranma and bring
him back here!!! You can't let your fiance leave you alone and defenceless
like that?!! What's to stop him from running off with Ukyou or Shampoo?!!"

"But Father, if Ranma-kun disowns his family, then all the engagements
made by his father are nullified," Kasumi muses. "It still wouldn't solve the
matter with Shampoo, though..."

"And freeze himself as a woman," Akane crosses her arms. "And h-...she
said she was going to take care of Shampoo this morning, so something tells me
she won't be with that Chinese bimbo!!"

"So, no more fiancees, period!" Nabiki sneers. "Marvellous!"

"Too bad for you," Akane glares at her. "You can't play them like you
used to! Remember last Christmas?"

Nabiki jerks at her barb, then sighs. "Well, I might as well call
everyone else. I'm sure they'll like to know..."

"Pity I cut the phone lines," Kasumi hums.

Nabiki's face rams into the table. "Onee-chan!!!" she screams. "How
could you do that?!!"

"Nabiki-chan, please think," Kasumi sighs. "Ranma-kun left this house
this morning most likely despising the very IDEA of living any further with us.
While we did provide the first home he had for over a decade, the fact that
many of us simply didn't take the time to understand his many problems, in fact
HURT him even more, certainly must have contributed to his decision to
leave."

Silence falls. "Well, what was I supposed to do to keep us in the
black?!" Nabiki growls. "Do you think we could've lived with these two
freeloaders making our lives hell for more than a month without doing
something?!! What about all the damage between Ranma and Akane when they
fight, or when Shampoo or Ryouga came blasting by, or what have you?!! Honour
doesn't put food on the table, keep the house in good repair or the other
things we need to worry about day in and out, Onee-chan!!!"

"Nabiki, how could you say that?!!" Souun wails. "These are our
houseguests!!!"

"'HOUSEGUESTS?!?!?!'" Nabiki roars. "Some houseguests these two twits
turned out to be!!! This lazy oaf couldn't give a shit about what OUR needs
and wants were!!!" she points accusingly at the still-unconscious Genma-panda.
"And Ranma didn't seem to care too much about what we needed, either...and you
wanted HIM to inherit the dojo and the house when he married Akane?!! He
didn't lift a damn finger to help keep the house going, just ate and fought and
dragged in all his stupid pals with all their stupid problems and it didn't
ONCE enter his little brain that maybe he had SOME responsibility to keep this
place intact!!!"

Nabiki then points to herself, angry tears in her eyes. "I had to work my
butt off to keep us in the black, keep food on the table and keep the house
and dojo in good repair!!! I had to be the one to do that because you won't
teach people at the dojo anymore; Onee-chan already slaves herself to keep us
well-fed and in good health, destroying her life along the way; Akane-chan's
too young; and THIS 'friend' of yours not caring a damn bit!!!" she points
again at Genma, then glares at Akane. "And now you say it's MY fault that
Ranma stormed out of here because I made money from his curse, all his rivals
and fiancees?!! Where do you think that money went to, Akane?!! Think of the
food you eat, all the bricks you smash in practice, all the repairs that get
done whenever you socked Ranma into orbit with that damn mallet of yours!!! I
paid for all that, so show some appreciation for what your 'mercenary' of a
sister's done for you and your grateful 'fiance!!!'"

Growling, she storms up to her room, the door slamming shut behind her!
"Oh, my," Kasumi covers her mouth.

Akane sighs, then looks down. "What a mess!"

"Then do something about it!!" Souun urges.

"No."

Silence. Souun pales as Akane rises. "If Ranma doesn't want anything to
do with us or his family anymore, then let him go, Dad," she sighs. "He...SHE
did this to give my freedom of choice back! And YOU will not take it away from
me again!!"

With that, she heads to her room, the door slamming closed behind her.
Souun shudders, then stares helplessly at Kasumi. "What can we do...?" he
hoarsely demands.

"I think it's far too late, Father," Kasumi sighs, then rises. "In the
meantime, I'll get dinner ready."

She heads into the kitchen. Souun shudders, then gazes at his passed-out
friend still in the pond. "Everything's gone...all gone!" he mutters, looking
at the floor...

* * *

The Nekohanten...

"YOU DID THAT?!?!?!"

Yumi nods, grinning, relaxing in a chair as everyone enjoys a smorgasbord
of Chinese and okonomiyaki dishes, Ukyou and Shampoo working the grill and
Mousse handling the waitering. "Yes, I did," she gazes warmly at Ranma. "As
soon as your father placed you in a 'life-threatening situation,' he
automatically gave up all legal responsibility concerning you, nullified all
engagements between you and anyone else, surrendered custody of you to my
family. I believe the instant you being a 'man above men' came into question
when you fell into Nyannichuan placed you in a 'life threatening situation'
with concerns to your own mother."

Silence. Ranma blinks, then gazes wide-eyed at the sheet of paper bearing
her father's signature, his agreeing to everything that Yumi just stated.
Once Yumi, who was acknowledged as having SOLE right to judge Genma's actions
concerning Ranma's upbringing, declared that Ranma was in a life-threatening
situation, then Ranma would cease to be Ranma Saotome and become Ranma
Tachibana. "Why?" she stares at Yumi. "Why did you do this for me?"

"Quite simple," Yumi smiles. "I'm sure yours and Ukyou-chan's Jewels have
told you about how soon Vladimir Russalovich took notice of your potential.
He...confessed to me one day how tragic your life could've turned if your
father's blind determination continued unchecked. The Neko-ken and Jusenkyou
wouldn't've been the end of it if Genma had his way, Ranma-chan. Who knows
what other horrors he could've stumbled onto in his determination to push you
to the limits! And what would've happened...if his desire to make you the best
martial artist of all...saw you killed?"

Cologne gazes at the elder Jewel Warrior, recognizing the usual given
names for Earth's Praetorian Guardian (his full name in modern Russian is
Vladimir Russalovich Taychesko). "You mean to say...that Ranma...was noticed
by Lord Ryasan himself?!!"

"Hai, Cologne," Yumi nods. "Incredible, huh?"

"Indeed it is," Cologne whistles, then stares at Ranma. "You indeed had
quite the guardian angel, Ranma. I doubt fools like Herb or Kirin would've
challenged you if they knew Lord Ryasan was keeping an eye on you."

"Several of them," Ranma muses, then looks at Yumi. "So what made you
word this like you did?"

"Ranma, your father wanted to find Jusenkyou like nothing else in the
world," Yumi shakes her head. "He had no idea whatsoever what he was getting
you into, nor do I think he would've really cared for what might've happened.
What might've happened if you fell into a spring other than Nannichuan?
There's Hunichuan, the fox-drown spring. What would've happened if you then
went into Joketsuzoku and someone thought you were a fox-spirit? Or the spring
your friend Ryouga fell into. 'Instant Sunday dinner;' isn't that the way he
liked to describe being a piglet? Or the grotesque thing Happousai's pathetic
creation Pantyhose Tarou transforms into; how'd you like that one?"

Ranma shudders. "I see your point."

"So I had to do something," Yumi closes her eyes. "I knew that if you two
fought on those poles, you would've fallen in. So I had to make sure Genma'd
knock you into the right spring. If you BOTH fell into Nannichuan, never
suffered the effects of a curse, who knew WHAT could've happened next,
especially since Joketsuzoku would've been your next stop. What might've
happened if you fought Shampoo as a man, Ranma? Where would that've left you?
So I had to give you an escape. Also, I admit I had my duty to Kaemal on my
mind. We needed a fourth Jewel Warrior and Vladimir was adamant that you'd fit
the bill if only you could be a woman. And since becoming a woman would cause
you lethal harm should your mother ever find out...and since I could make
Genma sign you away if Nodoka threatened to kill you...the only spring which
would've given you control of your destiny AND kept you safe..."

"Was Nyannichuan," Ranma blinks.

"Exactly."

Everyone whistles. "Well thought out, Yumi," Cologne hums.

"So how did you get Oyaji to sign this?" Ranma wonders.

"I got him drunk, then convinced him to sign it, making him think it was
the usual engagement agreement he made with Ukyou-chan's father and all your
other fiancees," Yumi admits.

Everyone faints! "WHAT?!?!?!" Ranma gapes.

"Ye gods, I CAN'T believe that!!!" Ukyou whistles.

"Friends, we stand in the shadow of genius!" Mousse declares.

"Mercenary Girl no match for Yumi!" Shampoo asserts.

"Indeed, Yumi, you are to be congratulated!!" Cologne laughs. "Believe
me, when the others in the Tribal Council hear THIS, they'll be beside
themselves!!"

"What do you mean?" Ranma blinks.

"Do you really think we've operated in a vacuum here in Japan, Ranma?"
Cologne muses. "Believe me, your father has MUCH to answer for! All your
fiancees like Ukyou here, their lives and honour ruined because of Genma's
greed and cowardice. Believe me, many in the Tribal Council see bringing you
to Joketsuzoku to be nothing short of common humanity, just to get you away
from him!!"

"If you'd've told me that sometime ago, Cologne, I might've come
willingly, Akane or no Akane!" Ranma muses.

Everyone laughs. "The one thing I don't understand, Cologne, is how you
know them," Ukyou cuts in, thumbing the three elder Jewel Warriors, then looks
at Chisato. "Did you visit Joketsuzoku when you met Ran-chan?"

"Right after that, believe it or not," Chisato sighs, then stares at
Shampoo. "<<I hope you recovered from what happened.>>"

"<<Of course I recovered from it, blood-sister,>>" Shampoo smiles, gently
grasping Chisato's hand. "<<I wasn't going to die on you without making sure
you had a family awaiting you when you come back from being a Jewel
Warrior!>>"

"EH?!?!?!" Ranma and Ukyou exclaim.

Chisato sighs...

* * *

Two years ago, Joketsuzoku...

"So this is the Nyu-che-zuu village, huh?" Chisato muses as the three
Jewel Warriors gaze upon the tree-filled village. "Such a pretty place. Can't
believe the Chicoms leave it alone."

"What would one expect of short-sighted idiots like the ones in Peking?"
Yumi yawns, then stretches herself. "Well, let's rest here for a bit. I don't
think we'll be needed back on Kaemal anytime soon; Vladimir'll warn us if
something happens."

"Good!" Chisato nods. "I'm gonna get my paints and stuff. I wanna do a
landscape of this place."

"Take your time," Ryou muses as she relaxes beside Yumi.

Chisato reaches into warpspace (an inter-dimensional pocket created by the
Power Jewel to store personal effects, including civilian clothes when the
Jewel Warrior transforms into her fighting uniform, not to mention the Cat's
Claw sword which came with every Power Jewel) and pulls out a large canvas, an
easel of paints and her brushes. Setting herself up, she then starts a
watercolour. Ryou gets a small basket of persimmon fruit from her warpspace
pocket (the fruit was purchased in Shanghai sometime before), then hands one to
Yumi. "Do you think this thing with Ranma'll work out?" she wonders.

"It should," Yumi muses. "Thing with testosterone-charged idiots like
Genma Saotome is this: press the right buttons and they'll do everything you
want them to do. I just had to hypnotize him into knocking Ranma into that
girl-drown spring in Jusenkyou, then Fate'll do the rest."

"You hope."

"Don't forget, we've got a friend in a high place watching over him...SOON
to be her," Yumi winks. "Besides, we should worry about who'll be the fifth
for our little troupe."

"Good point," Ryou hums as she bites into her own fruit.

As Chisato continues to paint, voices are heard from behind them. Coming
out of the trees is Shampoo, followed by a pining Mousse. "<<Shampoo, why
won't you come out with me?!>>" he moans.

"<<Stupid Mousse, go away!>>" Shampoo snarls. "<<I don't like you,
remember...eh?!>>"

She stops on seeing the strangers on the cliff overlooking the village.
Yumi and Ryou gaze quizzically at them while Chisato continues to paint.
"<<Who are you?!>>" Shampoo demands.

"<<Oh, are we intruding on your village?>>" Yumi wonders. "<<We'll move
if you want us to.>>"

Surprised that one spoke perfect Mandarin, Shampoo relaxes. "<<Um...well,
no, you're not in the village itself. The Elders won't mind if you stay up
here. Who are you?>>"

Ryou holds up her turquoise Jewel. Shampoo gapes on seeing the beautiful
alien device, remembering the tribe's many tales about Major Raeburn and her
visit to Joketsuzoku in 1943. "<<Do you know Major Dean Raeburn?!>>" Mousse
wonders.

"<<No, we've never had that honour,>>" Yumi smiles, offering them some
fruit. "<<We became Jewel Warriors twenty years ago; in fact, we protect a
planet in another solar system some fifty light-years from Earth. We just came
back home to arrange for a fourth person to join our group.>>"

"<<Oh!>>" Shampoo beams. "<<Mousse, why don't you go down and tell
Great-grandma! The Elders should know about them being here; the whole village
would want to know!>>"

"<<Okay!>>" Mousse nods, running off...and because his glasses were on his
forehead, he slams right into a tree.

"<<Oh, stupid Mousse...>>" Shampoo shakes her head.

The three visiting Jewel Warriors stifle their laughter...then blink as
another tree smashes down, revealing a hulking male who seemingly could crush
the diminutive Shampoo like a twig. "<<I found you, Xian-pu!>>" he declares.
"<<Now, we'll make sure that blind fool Mu-tsu will NEVER take you away from
me!>>"

"<<You're even more stupid, Mao-wazi!!>>" Shampoo tenses, bonbori out.
"<<I'd have NOTHING to do with a oaf like you!>>"

"<<Oh?!>>" he grins, then lunges. "BAO-SUI-DIAN-XUE!!!!"

Shampoo screams as Mouthwash's fingertip strikes the rock at her feet,
causing it to detonate, sending her flying into the sky as the cliff collapses.
Yumi, Ryou and Chisato leap clear, their Power Jewels glowing as they
transform into their combat uniforms, gi-like robes coloured the same as their
Jewels, sheathed swords strapped to their waist. "<<HEY, YOU STUPID KLUTZ, I
WAS TRYING TO PAINT!!!!!!>>" Chisato bellows at Mouthwash.

"The girl!!!" Ryou screams.

Chisato looks down, then sees Shampoo land in a pile of rapidly collapsing
soil and rock. "OH, SHIT!!!!!!"

She soars down, landing in the path of one large boulder as her sword
leaps out, the neutronium-pergium blade shattering the rock before it could
squash Shampoo into paste, then she spins around to grab the dazed
warrior-maiden's hand before she could be forever buried in mud. Shampoo gasps
as Chisato leaps into the air, shielding the former with her body from flying
debris. "<<Relax, you're safe!>>" Chisato assures her.

Finally, the dust settles, revealing a swath of destruction cutting
through the rice fields almost to the village walls. Chisato then soars down,
placing Shampoo on the ground. "<<Here you go!>>" she smiles. "<<Another
quick rescue!>>"

"<<What's going on here?!>>" a voice demands.

"<<Great-grandmother!!>>" Shampoo beams as Cologne hobbles out the nearest
gate, followed by a small group of villagers.

By then, Yumi and Ryou have come down, both dragging a dazed Mouthwash.
Cologne gapes on seeing the Power Jewels on the women's clothing, then bows
respectfully. "<<Welcome to Joketsuzoku village, honoured ladies. May I
inquire what brings you here?>>"

"<<Personal business, Elder...that is, until this fool nearly buried your
great-granddaughter under a rockfall!>>" Yumi glares indignantly at Mouthwash.

"<<What happened, Xian-pu?>>" Cologne asks.

"<<Mao-wazi use breaking point technique to try to stun me so he could
marry me!>>" Shampoo snarls, then gazes thankfully at Chisato. "<<Were it not
for her, I would've been buried alive.>>"

"<<All in a day's work!>>" Chisato smiles...

* * *

Today...

"...so stupid Mouthwash was banished from tribe and Chisato and Shampoo
become blood-sisters," Shampoo completes. "Ryou is Chisato's lover, so she
Shampoo's sister-in-law. Now that Ranma become Shampoo's blood-sister and Yumi
being Ranma's sister, all Jewel Warriors of Kaemal now become part of
Nyu-che-zuu."

"Hey, what about me?!!" Ukyou demands.

"Spatula Girl, too!!" Shampoo smiles.

She then gets smacked by Cologne's cane. "Where are your manners,
Shampoo?!" the aged matriarch demands.

"Sorry, Ukyou," Shampoo blushes.

Everyone laughs...

* * *