[Ranma/Tenchi][FanFic] Tales of Ranma and Achika Chapter 02

Darwin Cruz

Apr 2, 2003, 11:37:33 PM4/2/03

Pug Productions
*********************************
Author: Pug
cruzd@alum. rpi.edu
*********************************

Insert standard disclaimer here:
A fan fiction based on Takahashi Rumiko's Manga series, Ranma
1/2. The characters of Ranma 1/2 are the property of Takahashi
Rumiko and her licensees.

All characters portrayed in this story are owned by their
respective creators and companies. I don't own any of them.
Please don't sue me.

Genra: Ranma/Tenchi Muyo Alternate Reality, cross-over.

Version notes:
Ver: 1.00 created: July 16 1999
this is still a draft. Forgive any spelling or
grammar
mistakes.
Ver: 2.00 Slight change to the story line. Ending is
different
from previous.
Some spelling and grammar corrections.
Ver: 2.10 Minor spelling and grammar corrections.
Change of my e-mail address to cr...@rpi.edu
Some additions to the Authors Notes at the end.
Final Version: 2001

Previous: Ranma leaves the Tendo dojo in search of a cure to his
curse. To escape the fiancée mess, his mother has
disowned him from the Saotome clan. In his search,
Ranma has come to the Masaki Shrine and had met the
daughter of the priest there. Her name is Achika
Masaki.

Tales of Ranma and Achika

The Girl who wasn't and the Princess who was.

Chapter 2.

Ranma sat alone.
Facing her was the Masaki sacred tree, a massive thing, resting in
the center of a small pond. From her place on one of the stone
steps that formed a path from the pond's edge to the base of the
tree, Ranma marveled at its beauty.

She sat there for a while, her arms crossed and her brow knit,
trying to decide the best way of finding out what was so special
about the sacred Tree. From the rumors she had gathered, the tree
was capable of curing sickness and other maladies. If that was
possible maybe the key to unlocking her curse was here also.

She held her arms out, palms facing toward the gnarled trunk. A
faint yellow glow surrounded her. This was her Ki. Everyone has
their own spirit force, or Ki, which was unique to everyone. Not
only did people have such auras, but so to do plants and animals.
The aura that the Masaki tree produced was amazing. The
intensity of it was awe-inspiring. Maybe the answers to her
questions were truly here. She had to find out.

Ranma reached out toward the tree by focusing her Ki. A
sensation of falling washed over her and in a blinding flash, a new
world opened up as she probed deeper within the tree's aura. A
kaleidoscope of colored light danced around her, fleeting images
materialized in her mind.

Stars shone out in the blackness of space. In the open expanse a
deadly ballet was taking place as two great ships caught in flame
and fire fell to the blue sphere of Earth.

'What am I seeing? What is this?' Ranma tried to keep up with the
images.

The impact when the two ships crashed to the ground was
unspeakably terrible. Trees for miles around lay flattened, and the
ground was smoking and blackened. From the remains of one of
the craft a figure appeared.

'A girl?' Ranma shivered looking at the woman. Her cyan colored
hair framed her red glowing eyes. 'Is this Ryoko?'

The demon flew across the sky, what little was left untouched by
the destruction of the crash fell before her as she unleashed her
own powers. It seemed as if the world would shatter before her
wrath. But then another figure appeared before her. A handsome
young man dressed in pastel robes. In his hands was a glowing
blade.

'Yosho!' Ranma looked in awe. She struggled to see more but
something was fighting her. Slowly the images were starting to
fade. Gradually she felt herself being pushed away. Using
whatever strength she had left she pushed back and the images
gained some focus again. But the harder she fought against it, the
stronger the resistance she felt.

The final image she saw was Ryoko struggling her last, as Yosho
ran his blade through her. When the demon died a calm washed
over Ryoko's face. The madness and anger were gone and a
peaceful smile rested on the girl's face.

In the blink of an eye Ranma found herself facing the Holy tree
again. She tried once to get up only to have her legs give way as
she plopped back down to the ground. She fell on her back finding
herself completely exhausted. She had used much of her Ki and
had overextended herself.

Ranma glanced up at the sky. 'It's almost been two hours!' With a
tired groan, she got up and started to slowly make her way back to
the shrine.

****----***----****

Achika breathed deeply.

Adjusting her grip on the boken, she steeled herself and launched
out in another attack. "Heya!" she yelled. The clacking sound of
two wooden swords hitting each other was heard. After a series of
thrusts and slashes Achika fell back, disengaging from the duel to
catch another quick breath.

"Hmm... Your form is getting better Achika-chan. But you're still
dropping your guard too much. Keep your focus. Doing so
becomes more difficult when you become tired," her opponent
commented.

"Yes father. " Achika nodded. She took another breath and faced
off again.

Katsuhito Masaki, Shinto priest of the Masaki shrine moved with
the grace of a true master. His relaxed posture and casual grip on
the boken, showed the accustomed feeling of holding a blade in his
hand. Though still middle aged, there were wisps of gray in his
mustache and dark hair. He also wore a pair of rectangular wire
rimed glasses that caught the light as he moved. Of all the people
Achika knew she trusted and loved no else one more.

"Much better," Katsuhito commented as he parried the incoming
strikes.

Achika could only manage a slight grunt as she struggled to keep
up with the older man. The two fought in an open area within the
grounds of the shrine. It had been the ancestral training ground of
the Masaki family for generations.

The sparring was conducted on top of small wooden pegs anchored
to the earth. Achika and her father not only had to concentrate on
attacking and defense, but also on balance and form as they stood
precariously on their perches.

"If you had kept up your training during school you would still be
in shape." He said with that incorrigible grin of his.

"I am in shape!" Achika said, her knuckles turning white on the
boken. "Just not great shape."

Blocking the last of her swings, Katsuhito leapt back and bowed,
ending the day's session. Achika returned the gesture, glad that
practice was over. Her shoulders slumped from the exertion.
Seeing her father's face she frowned. "Your enjoying this, aren't
you father?"

"Ah, so how was your day." Katsuhito asked, wisely changing the
subject.

"It was the same as usual." She said relaxing.

"Did you meet anyone interesting?"

"Y-yes... yes I did." Achika said a bit surprised.

"A young girl I believe."

"How did..."

Katshito looked off in the distance, the sun glinting off his glasses.
"She has red hair tied in a pigtail and wears Chinese clothes."

Achika could only nod. 'How does he know?' When she was
growing up her father has always hinted about some greater power
within the Masaki line. 'Hidden potentials within you Achika-
chan' were his exact words. Was this it? An ability to see things
which others can't.

"Father, do you have ESP?"

Katshito leaned in his face taking a serious expression. "No..."

"Then how..."

His eyes narrowed. "She's standing behind you." He pointed.

"Uh, hi a Achika." Ranma said lamely waving her hand.

Achika face-faulted.

Taking a moment to recover. "How long were you standing there,
Ranko? And why do you keep sneaking up on me?" Achika said
trying to get back some of her dignity.

"I didn't mean to do it again. I was watching you practice and
since I didn't want to disturb you I waited till you were done.
Sorry..."

Achika sighed; she was more annoyed at her father than she was at
the redhead. "It's ok Ranko."

"Achika, why don't you introduce your friend," the older man
suggested.

"Ranko, this is my father, Katsuhito Masaki. Father, this is my
friend, Ranko."

"Pleased to meet ya. " Ranma replied.

"You have a very cute friend, Achika-chan." He patted Ranma on
the head. "All visitors are welcome here, Ranko-chan. "

"Thank you Masaki-san," she said through her teeth. Ranma
smiled weakly. 'Ranko-chan!?!'

"Father, Ranko came up here because she is interested in the Holy
tree. Since you know more about the history of the shrine, I was
hoping that you could help her. " Achika explained.

Ranma nodded. "I read stories about the people being healed when
they came up to this shrine. I wanted to know how you could cure
somebody if you needed to. I would appreciate any help that you
could offer. " Ranma bowed deeply.

"Hmm... The Holy tree..." Katsuhito mused as he rubbed his chin.
His face took on a mask of deep thought. "Ah yes, now I
remember..."

Ranma's heart raced. 'He knows the secret of the tree! He knows
how to cure me! I'm never going to be a girl again!' The redhead
hung on every word the older man spoke.

"Ah yes, now I remember..."

"Yes?"

"It's a secret." The old man smiled.

"What?!?" Ranma exclaimed as her jaw hit the ground.

"But you are welcome to stay as long as you like. Achika-chan,
why don't you invite your friend for dinner? I still have some
things to finish at the shrine. I'll be home later this evening. It
was nice meeting you, Ranko-chan," he said walking off leaving
the two girls.

"Come on Ranko, I'll show you the way to the house," Achika
suggested. "Ranko? Ranko?" She blinked seeing the redhead's
pigtail standing on end.

"Ranko-chan my--"

**--*--**

"You have a nice home, Achika," Ranma commented looking at
the small house. The exterior was in good shape showing the
effort put into maintenance. It sat by its lonesome at the edge of a
lake. The surrounding view of the trees and hills framed the house
in a serene setting.

"Father built it himself," Achika said proudly. "Please come in."

Ranma looked around. It was a cheerful place bestowing a sense
of safeness. She placed her backpack down in a corner where no
one could trip on it.

"Please make yourself at home Ranko. Sorry if it's a bit messy.
It's just me and father living here. Mother was the neat one." She
smiled sadly.

Ranma nodded understanding. "Where are you going?"

"Upstairs for a quick change, then I need to start dinner. Father is
a horrible cook." She grimaced recalling growing up on
Katsuhito's cooking.

"Would you like some help with dinner?" Ranma offered. She
wanted to do something in return for the hospitality.

"Give me a few minutes and I'll be right down." Achika said
lightening up.

Ranma sat down on one of the steps of the stairs. Her brow knit as
she brooded over the day's events. She thought back to the Holy
Tree. From the first moment she saw it, she knew it was what he
was looking for. She had felt pricks on the back of her neck from
the life force the tree radiated.

'I'm positive that the tree can cure my curse! I just got to figure
out how...' Asking Masaki-san had been useless. 'What am I going
to do now?'

Ranma was about to chalk up her trip to the shrine as complete
waste when Achika came back down. She wore a pale blue dress
and her hair was tied neatly back. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

Ranma couldn't help but admire how pretty she looked. 'I guess
coming here wasn't a total waste.' Ranma smiled. "No problem
Achika."

**--*--**

Achika started getting the pots they would need for the meal while
Ranma started preparing the vegetables. As Achika was reaching
into the cupboard to pull out a pot, She heard a battle cry sound out
from the redhead. Turning around her eyes widened.

"Ha!" Ranma said tossing up a head of cabbage into the air. Then
taking a kitchen knife, she slashed at it, her movements becoming
a blur. What was once a head of cabbage fell into a waiting bowl.
Ranma did the same thing again with some shitake mushrooms,
this time sectioning them into equal pieces. When she was
finished with the rest of the ingredients, she tossed the ingredients
into a wok and began the stir-fry.

Achika applauded the feat of dexterity. "Ranko that was amazing.
Where did you learn to do something like that?"

Ranma laughed. "Thanks Achika. I guess it was my Pop's idea.
He was the one who always said that a martial artist was in
constant training. So I kind of started seeing everything as an
exercise."

Achika nodded. She was a bit surprised at how far martial arts had
been ingrained into the girl. She walked over and sampled the
dish. "Ranko, this is great! You really do know how do cook."

"Yeah well, I had to learn myself since pops wasn't that great a
chef, mostly because he was lazy at it. He considered steamed rice
a head of cabbage and some mayonnaise a feast; Ranma said
lolling her tongue out. And then when I got engaged it became a
matter of survival. Man, the toxic slop that my fianc--" Ranma
froze.

"Engaged!!!" Achika choked on the bite of food.

"Oh boy..." Memories of the fiancée mess came back.

"Your getting married?"

"No, it's not like that!" Ranma frantically gestured. "It was our
parent's idea."

Achika blinked. "An arranged marriage?"

Ranma's shoulders sagged. "Yeah, pretty much. See, Pop and this
friend of his were training buddies. Well, they made an agreement
with each other to marry their children together so that the two
schools of Anything Goes Martial Arts would be joined. In fact,
my Pop took me away from my mother to train me in the art for
ten years. "

"Isn't that a bit old fashioned? And if you are engaged, what are
you doing here? What about you and your fiancé" Achika blurted.

"We never really got along that well. Our fathers were forcing us
pretty hard but all that did was make things worse. We fought a
lot, and I usually ended up getting hit..." Ranma replied distantly as
she recalled the first time she met Akane and being brought low by
a coffee table.

"Your fiancé beat you?!?" Achika felt her blood boil as she
imagined some large brute manhandling the petite redhead. 'What
kind of scum would do that to a girl?!?'

Ranma continued on oblivious to her words were implying. "You
get use to it after a while," she mumbled.

"What?" Achika gasped in horror. "How could your father expect
you to marry someone like that?"

"Well, it was a matter of family honor, so I just had to stick with it
no matter how many times I got walloped. Besides, I've taken
worse from my pop," Ranma said morosely.

Achika couldn't believe what she was hearing. What kind of hell
did Ranko go through? Growing up with an abusive father, then
being forced into a marriage with some jerk that was no better.
"My own father has never done anything like that, no matter what
I've done. And no woman deserves a beast of a husband who hurts
her. He didn't... do anything else to you did he?"

"H-Husband?" Ranma blurted. She suddenly realized what
Achika was implying.

"Your fiancé, he didn't try to force himself on you?" Achika
asked in a concerned voice.

Ranma's eyes budged, "Achika, your getting the wrong idea it
wasn't like that. You don't understand, " Ranma said, desperately
trying to find a way out of this mess.

"But your fiancé sounds like such a creep!"

"It's not as bad as it sounds. We were both martial artists so we
both knew how to pull our punches." 'At least I did, whenever
Akane and I sparred' Ranma thought. "And my Pop just had an
odd sense of the word 'training'. You wouldn't believe the sort of
stuff he had me do."

"It just sounded so horrible though. " Achika said still
unconvinced.

"Well it wasn't no picnic, which is why I left. To get out of the
marriage agreement, my mother had to disown me from the family
so that our honor would remain intact. She was the only one who
helped me get away from everything. Now I don't even have her
anymore..."

Achika didn't know what to say. She looked at Ranma, who stood
there with a dejected expression, and wondered how a person's life
could get so complicated. She went over and gave the flustered
redhead a hug.

Ranma tensed for a moment then finally gave in. "Thanks,
Achika," she said softly.

**--*--**

"This is delicious Achika-chan," Katsuhito commented after
tasting the food.

Achika blushed. "Actually, Ranko was the one who did most of
the cooking. I just helped."

"Couldn't have done it without you Achika," Ranma said with a
mouth full of food.

Katsuhito nodded, "You'll make a good wife someday Ranko-
chan." He smiled.

A sweat drop appeared on Ranma's brow.

"Uh, Ranko? Where are you planning to stay the night? Achika
asked.

"I usually camp out. The weather is pretty nice this time of year so
it isn't that bad." She filled her bowl up with rice again. It was her
third bowl.

Achika was still working on her first bowl of food. 'How does she
eat so much and still keep her figure like that?' she wondered
enviously. "Ranko, you could stay here for the night. Right
father?"

"It's dangerous for cute girls to be wandering alone at night."
Katsuhito agreed.

"It's settled then. Ranko you can share my room." Achika smiled.

"I-I wouldn't want to impose." Ranma said a bit nervous. "The
couch here is fine."

"Oh..." Achika said a bit disappointed. It would have been nice to
have a little slumber party.

The rest of the meal was enjoyed quietly.

****----***----****

Ranma frowned. That morning she had tried once again to reach
into the tree, and once again found herself being pushed back. She
was about to get up when she felt someone approaching.

"Beautiful isn't it?" The figure said.

"Yeah it is." Ranma said not facing the older man.

"You woke up pretty early. It must be an important thing you're
looking for," Katsuhito commented. He glanced at the backpack
by Ranma's side.

"I can't find what I'm looking for unless you help me. Will you tell
me the secret of the Holy tree?" Ranma said bluntly.

"No."

"Why not?"

"I told you, it's a secret." The priest smiled.

Ranma shot out an irritated look. "If that's the way it is then..."
With a heavy stride she started to walk off slinging her backpack
on.

As she passed the older man, Katsuhito sighed and shook his head.
"Ah a pity today's youth, spoiled beyond belief, expecting
everything to be handed to them on a silver plate."

Ranma stopped. "What was that 'old man'?"

Katushito continued as if he wasn't interrupted. "They give up so
easily, not willing to put any effort in what they set out to do. Just
up and running away when the going gets tough," he said shaking
his head sadly.

"Are you saying what I think your saying 'old man'?" Ranma said
through her teeth.

"Truly a sad future our society has to look forward to. Not only
have our children become a bunch of quitters, but they're dense as
bricks now too. Maybe television is to blame."

Something in Ranma snapped. Who was this guy thinking he was?
'How dare he judge me! The jerk has no idea of the thing's I've
gone through! Call me a quitter!?!? Me, Ranma Saotome!?!?'
"Shut yer trap 'old man'! I ain't no quitter and I've never given up!"

"Oh your still here? I thought you had already left." Katsuhito
said.

"That's it 'old man. You asked for it. I challenge you!!!" She
threw her backpack to the ground and took on a battle stance. "If I
win you tell me the secret of the Holy tree."

"And if you lose?" Katsuhito's eyes narrowed.

"I do what ever you want."

He nodded. "Rules?"

"Sudden death. First clean strike wins. No sense in making
Achika an orphan."

"Agreed," the priest said taking a similar stance to Ranma's.

'All right old man, let's see how good you are without your stick,'
Ranma smiled to herself. With a battle cry she leapt forward and
attacked.

**--*--**

Achika wiped her brow. It was getting hotter now that the sun was
coming up. She was kneeling down carefully pulling the weeds
from the garden. Most of their food was grown there. The careful
tending and caring for the plants had always yielded a bountiful
harvest. But what Achika loved the most about the garden was
that it had been her mother's.

That morning she had woken, finding Ranko up and out. The
redhead seemed preoccupied with something.

Ranko had seemed troubled after last night's dinner. When she had
asked her about it, the redhead had told her the frustration she felt
concerning the Holy tree. Her father and refused to give any
information about the curative abilities of the tree even after Ranko
practically begged him for an answer.

Achika had never seen her father turn down a plea for help before.
She didn't know what to make of it. She had privately asked him
why he refused and his response had been that irritating grin of his.
Achika knew her father well enough that she wouldn't be able to
get anymore out of him.

As she pulled out another weed, Achika turned her thoughts to
Ranko again. It was obvious that the girl wanted something cured,
but what? The redhead was a perfectly health girl. She was a bit
of a tomboy Achika conceded but other that that Ranko was quite
normal. She had hoped that she could have found out why Ranko
was so desperate for a cure. It came from a mix of curiosity and a
sincere wish to help a friend. She whispered a little prayer when
Ranko had left hoping the girl would find what she was looking
for. Achika would miss the redhead.

"Achika-chan." She heard her father's voice. Looking up she saw
her father dressed in his usual attire and beside him a very annoyed
looking Ranko wearing the same Shinto garb she was wearing.

"R-Ranko?" She said looking back and forth between the two.

Katsuhito smiled. "Ranko will be staying with us for a while. In
fact, she has volunteered to help you with your duties around the
shrine. Achika-chan, please show her the proper way things are
done. I know that Ranko-chan is very excited about learning here.
Right?"

"Yeah... great...can't hardly wait..." the redhead deadpanned.

"I'll leave you two now then." He patted Ranko on the head. The
girl was livid.

As soon as her father was out of earshot, Achika raised an eyebrow
and looked at Ranko. "All right, spill it."

**--*--**

"I can't believe you challenged my father!!!" Achika exclaimed.

"I can't believe I lost!" Ranma said viciously tearing out a weed.

"What did you expect!?! Ranko, I know your good but father is a
grand master at Kendo as well as Judo. He spent years training.
You just don't challenge someone like that and expect them to be a
push over." Achika shook her head, the girl just wasn't listening.

'I lost! I shouldn't' have lost but I did!' Ranma knew her abilities
and was confident in her skill. She knew that she wasn't the best in
the world but she believed that she was near the top. She did not
spent ten years of her life to be simply beaten by an old fogy. The
only people that she had ever lost consistently to were Happosi and
Cologne, but they had three hundred years of experience under
their belt, Katsuhito was the same age as his father whom she had
surpassed years ago.

'How could I have lost?!?' Ranma thought as she replayed the
fight back in her mind.

**--*--**

Ranma leapt into the attack with a battle cry. Charging forward,
she started with a quick series of punches and kicks. She didn't
feel like hurting Achika's father too much so she had decided to
stick to the basics.

Katsuhito met the ferocity of her attack head on. With each punch
and kick Ranma threw the priest would either block or dodge. The
older man matched her speed for speed and skill for skill. As
Katsuhito defended himself he refrained from launching his own
offensive. In fact when Ranma stepped back to reevaluate her
tactics, the priest yawned. This irked Ranma even more.

'All right then. This time for real!' Ranma launched herself into
the air. The specialty of the Saotome School of anything Goes was
mid air combat. She was surprised when Katsuhito followed. The
two met in a furious exchange with Ranma just barely fending off
the man's strikes.

Ranma landed to the ground with a tumble. 'What's going on?!?
He doesn't even have his stupid sword.' As if reading her mind,
Katsuhito waved his open palms at her and winked. With her jaw
clenched, Ranma charged again, this time holding nothing back.

Her movements were true to the advanced forms of Anything
Goes. The flowing unpredictable form of unrestrained adaptability
being its foundation. A complicated barrage assailed her
opponent, each movement unreadable until the last moment of the
strike. Mixed in with the attacks were deceptions meant to throw
off the defender, feints within feints within feints. And through all
this, Katsuhito kept up with her.

Pulling the last trick out of her hat, Ranma pretended to strike low
with a sweep. Then as the older man went to defend, she vaulted
over him twisting in the air and landed behind. Seeing the opening
she punched. "Heeeyaaaaa!!!"

A 'smack' was heard was her fist connected. Ranma blinked.
Somehow Katsuhito had managed to stop her punch with his palm.
'How?' Then as she was still trying to grasp as to how he had
managed to do that, Achika's father pulled his hand back. Ranma
who had put all her weight forward into the punch fell off
balanced. A finger poked her on the forehead, which kept her from
falling over.

"You lose." Katsuhito smiled.

**--*--**

"So since you lost your going to be staying here the rest of the
summer?" Achika asked.

Ranma nodded. "Yeah, but your father said that if I could ever
manage to beat him I'd be free to go and he would tell me the
secret. "

"It won't be so bad Ranko," Achika said. With someone her age to
be with, spending a summer at the shrine didn't seem so lonely.

'I'll show that old man!' Ranma thought. She'd beat Achika's
father, if it was the last thing she'd do. And she wouldn't use any
of her 'special moves' either. 'I'll win fair and square. That'll teach
him!' Ranma got a maniacal look on her face and started laughing
evilly. Insert image of chibi Ranko jumping up and down over a
defeated Katsuhito.

Behind her, Achika grew a sweat drop.

**--*--**

Time passed.

Days at the Masaki shrine became a routine. The mornings started
with Ranko and Katsuhito dueling it out on top of the wooded pegs
of the training grounds as Achika watched from the sidelines.
Each of the fight's ended as the previous others did with Ranko
somehow being humiliated by the older man. Achika could only
shake her head at
Ranko's stubborn refusal to give up. It was apparent the redhead
was outclassed but each defeat only drove her harder.

The girls would spend the rest of the day tending to the shrine.
Sweeping the stone steps, cleaning graves of old flowers and
offerings, and caring for the vegetable garden.

In the afternoons Achika would train with her father while Ranko
wandered off on her own. Achika wondered where Ranko spent
her time.

After one practice, she looked around for the redhead and found
her sitting crossed legged by the Holy tree.

"I know that the answer I'm looking for is here Achika," Ranko
explained. "I can feel it. All I got to do is find it."

"Mind if I keep you company while you look?" Achika asked.

Ranko smiled.

Days turned to weeks and the two girls grew closer to each other.
Sweeping the steps was hardly an exciting task, so to pass the time
Ranko had told stories of her training trips. Achika enjoyed
listening about the places Ranko had visited and sights she had
seen.

Achika shared her experiences at the shrine, telling all that she
knew of its past history. Since it's founding the shrine had always
been a sanctuary. 'All with a good heart are welcome here.' It was
a tradition passed down through the generations, and her father
lived true to the words that the hero Yosho had said himself.

The two girls also began teaching each other their respective
families form martial arts. Achika was a bit envious at how
quickly Ranko picked up the use of the sword, but Ranko was a
good sensi taking time to carefully show Achika the complicated
forms that made up Anything Goes.

During one such session Achika was balancing on the wooden
pegs showing off a piece of Masaki swordplay when she noticed
Ranko wasn't paying attention. "Ranko, is something wrong?"

"I'm so close." Ranko mumbled. "The tree... I almost had it that
time!"

"Ranko, will you please tell me what you need cured so
desperately. You told me that your not sick or dying and as far as I
can tell you perfectly normal. I'm your friend Ranko and I'm just
worried. You fight my father constantly and you're spending more
and more time by the holy tree. It's becoming an obsession with
you. Please, I want to understand."

Ranma looked at her feet. "Achika..."

"I just want to help."

"I-I can't. It just so complicated. I don't want you hating me..."

"Hate you? Ranko I..." She moved forward Trying to reason with
her friend. As she did so one of the pegs she stepped on gave way
and she found herself falling. She braced herself for the hard
ground, but instead a pair of firm hands caught her.

The moment she saw Achika falter, Ranma reached and caught
her. Ranma felt softness and warmth of Achika's body as she held
her. Their faces were only inches apart. Ranma could smell the
scent of Achika's perspiration, as the girl's breath fell on her lips.
Ranma felt a flush grow on her face. "I can't. I-I can't tell you."
She managed to stammer. She staggered back almost tripping on
the pegs. "Let's call a day Achika." With out waiting for a reply
the redhead headed swiftly back to the house.

Achika stood there, a breeze passed by. She had never seen Ranko
so distraught before. 'I went too far,' she thought. She slowly
walked home trying to think up an apology to her friend.

When Achika got home she caught Ranko coming out from a
shower. A towel was wrapped around her and her hair was still
dripping. "Ranko, I... I wanted to say I'm sorry for earlier. I
promise never to ask about it again."

"Achika, when I do get cured, you'll understand why I couldn't tell
you."

Achika nodded. "Are we still friends then?"

Ranko smiled putting Achika's fears to rest. "Bathroom is all
yours, and you could use a shower," Ranko sniffed playfully.

"Humph!" Achika said pretending to be annoyed. She walked into
the bathroom to take her shower.

As Ranko walked to down the hall Achika's voice screamed out.
"THIS WATER IS FREEZING!!!"

"Oops..."

**--*--**

Again time passed.

Ranma looked at the large house located in the hills. "What is this
place Achika?" Ranma asked as she unloaded the things from the
car.

"Every year father and I visit here It's a fairly popular vacation
resort. They close down for a week every time this year to do
maintenance. Father knows the owner so we get to go here for free
while no one else is around. Isn't that right father?"

Katsuhito who was helping Ranma unload nodded his head.

Just then an old lady came out from the pavilion and greeted them.
"Ah Achika-chan. It's good to see you again," the woman said.
Sachiko was the old friend of Katsuhito. (S1)

Achika bowed. "It's good to see you also Obasan."

"And this must be your friend who your father said you were
bringing."

"Yes, this is Ranko."

"Hi." Ranma smiled.

"What a fine young girl. Achika-chan, you know where
everything is, make yourselves at home."

"Thank you, Obasan. Come on Ranko, I know you'll love this
place." Achika bubbled as she took Ranma's hand and led her
away.

Walking down the halls, Achika turned into one of the doors and
pulled Ranma along with her.

"Where are we?" Ranma asked looking around.

"The changing room silly."

"What!"

"Here," Achika said handing Ranma a towel. "You can get
undressed in one of the stalls over there."

"B-but..." Before she could say anything more Achika had entered
a stall. 'What is this place?' Ranma thought as she quickly
undressed and wrapped the towel around her.

She found Achika waiting wearing nothing but a towel also.

"Come on." Achika said grabbing her hand once again.

"Where?"

"You'll see."

The two walked down the covered path of the resort. The narrow
walkway opened up to a large area. Ranma's eyes bulged out at
what she saw. In front of her was a large pond of steaming water,
fenced in by a bamboo wall and surrounded by various boulders.

"Well what do you think, Ranko? This is one of the most popular
hot spring resorts in Japan and we have it all to ourselves." Achika
said excitedly.

"H-hot springs?" Ranma's voice cracked.

"Let's go, Ranko. The water will feel great!"

"Achika, I... I can't... um..."

"What's wrong?" Achika saw the nervous look on Ranma's face.

"Swim! That's it! I can't swim Achika. Why don't you go in
without me. I'll just stay here and..."

Achika laughed. "Ranko, the water barely reaches your waist in
some places." She began pulling the distraught girl toward the
steaming water.

"No wait! Achika, I really can't" Ranma said frantically as she
edged closer to the rim of the spring. She grabbed a nearby
boulder near the edge and held on.

"Ranko, its only water. You're being a baby about this!" Achika
said tugging Ranma.

"I don't wanna go in!!!" Ranma yelled holding onto the rock for
dear life.

As the comical struggle continued near the water's edge, Ranma's
towel started to come lose. As it fell, Ranma instinctively grabbed
at it letting go of the rock before realizing her mistake. The two
girls quickly found themselves unbalanced and moments later two
splashes were heard hitting the water.

'NO!' Ranma thought as she saw the water quickly approaching.
'NOT LIKE THIS!!!' And then she felt the liquid's warm embrace
and shuddered at the change that soon followed.

Achika surfaced first. "Ha! Serves you... right... Ranko..." Her
words died in her mouth as she found herself facing a handsome
dark-haired young man emerging from the water.

"W-who are you?" Achika said backing away fearfully. She held
on to her towel protectively.

"Achika, wait! It's me!" Ranma moved toward her but quickly fell
back into the water as he realized there was no towel around him.
"It's me Achika. It's me..." He said quietly. He turned away from
her ashamed.

"R-ranko?" Achika said not believing her eyes. "How..."

"I'm cursed. Whenever I touch hot water I turn into a boy. And
whenever I touch cold water I turn into a girl. That's why I came
to the shrine, I wanted to find a cure..."

"Ranko, what are you? A boy or a girl." A faint blush appeared
on Achika's cheeks.

"I'm a guy!" Ranma replied automatically. "And Ranko is what
my mother use to call me in my girl form. I never meant to
deceive you Achika, please believe that. I never planned on
staying at the shrine but losing to your father and trying to find the
secret of the Holy tree... It hurt keeping it from you, but I didn't
want you hating me, or thinking I was some kind of freak... or a
pervert. I... I'm sorry, Achika..."

Achika could only stare at the boy in front of her. 'Ranko, it that
really you?' She thought. Memories came back to her. The first
time they had at the shrine, the times the spent working in the
fields, and company they shared just talking to each other. Her
mind struggled with the concept of Ranko actually being a boy.

And then she saw his eyes, and she knew. From the moment she
had first met the redhead, Ranko had always been a true friend.
Achika had always been able to read Ranko's face like a book, and
when she saw her eyes, Achika would sometimes see a quiet
sadness to them. Achika saw that sadness now in the eyes of the
boy facing her. What ever the curse may have changed, it didn't
change who Ranko was inside.

"Ranko... what did your mother call you as a boy?" Achika asked
softly.

"Ranma..." he replied.

Achika felt the blush grow on her face as she looked at Ranma.
His body was firm and well muscled. Years of rigorous training in
martial arts had shaped Ranma's physique into an elegant yet
powerful from of masculinity.

The cuteness of Ranko's face was toned down by the more angular
features on Ranma's. But that served to give him a more mature
and handsome quality. In either form though, Ranma's most
striking feature were his blue eyes.

'What do I do now?' Achika thought looking at him.

Ranma struggled to look at anything other than the girl across from
him. When he had first come to the shrine he had considered
Achika a beautiful girl. This wasn't anything new to him though.
If anything the fiancée mess left him wary of women. But the
more time they spent together, the more he had begun to notice
Achika. As he got to know her better he saw a beauty that was
more than skin deep.

He had fought against the feelings growing within. 'You just got
out of one mess, you don't need to get your self into another one.
And you got more important things to do, like getting your cure!'
With each passing day he found it harder push those feelings
down.

'Now what do I do?' he thought looking across to Achika.

"Ranma," Achika began.

"Achika," Ranma also started.

The two found themselves looking at each other's eyes.

"..." Achika swallowed. Was it her or did some one turn up the
water temperature.

"..." Ranma felt a nosebleed coming.

The awkward silence was broken when an old woman entered the
pavilion. "Achika-chan, I brought you and Ranko-chan some extra
towels," the woman said.

"O-obasan!" Achika stuttered.

"Achika-chan? Is something wrong?" Sachiko asked. "Where's
Ranko-chan?" Her eyes finally came upon Ranma who was frozen
shock.

A pause.

The old woman dropped the towels she was carrying and
screamed. "Pervert!!!"

In the ensuing commotion Ranma was sent running for his life as
the old woman chased him around the vacation resort wielding a
large broom. It wasn't until Achika's father stepped in did the
chase end. He had grabbed Ranma by the pigtail as he ran by and
brought the young man to a halt.

"M-M-Masaki-san!" Ranma yelped seeing who had caught him.

Katsuhito leaned in with a serious glare. His rectangular glasses
caught the light giving him and intimidating expression. "Hmm...
The men's locker room is that way Ranko-chan," he said pointing
to one of the doors. With a pat on Ranma's head, Katsuhito walked
off.

"..." Ranma stood there dumfounded. 'He knew?" By the time he
recovered from the shock, he saw Sachiko-san barreling down at
him. The last things he heard before he passed out were the sounds
of the broom handle connecting with his head and Achika asking if
he was all right.

****----***----****

"Hmm... I thought I'd find you here."

"Masaki-san," Ranma said still nursing his sore head.

"This is a good place." Katsuhito said simply. The two of them
stood on a ridge which overlooked forested grounds of the below.

"You knew didn't you?" Ranma asked. "You knew about my
curse since the beginning."

The older man nodded.

"You didn't say anything. Why?"

"It didn't seem important to mention." He said simply.

"But I lied to you and Achika."

"Everyone has something they wish to hide. Everyone has their
own secrets they want to keep. "

Katsuhito placed his hand on Ranma's shoulder. "Achika told me
about your family. It is difficult to be alone. I know. I too left my
family on somewhat difficult terms. But I found peace.

Ranma saw a distant look on the man's face.

"Ranma, what ever the curse changes, it does not change the
person you are within. You have a good heart and that is all that
matters. Ne? You are welcome at the shrine for as long as you
wish. You've worked hard up till now, so it's a fair trade. As for
your cure, it is something you should find for yourself."

Ranma nodded understanding. Looking at the older man, Ranma
swallowed his pride and spoke. "Masaki-san, if you won't tell me
the secret of the Holy tree, will you train me instead?"

Katsuhito looked at him and smiled. "What do you think I've been
doing for the last month?"

Ranma had always seen Katsuhito as playful lighthearted man
seeming to take nothing seriously. But at the same time, Ranma
also saw wisdom in the man's eyes and kindness in his voice.
"Thank you sensi," Ranma said sincerely.

****----***----****

Galaxy Police headquarters, the future.

The command center was in a state of panic. Techs sat at their
consoles frantically typing away at the keyboards.

"Sir, the main containment is failing!" A tech officer reported to
the Grand Marshal.

"Reroute all power to the security field. Seal off the main
detention block immediately." The marshal barked.

"Yes sir, in progress now sir!" As the man hurriedly worked at his
terminal, A shudder passed though the whole of the complex.

"Report!"

"Sir, sensors report a tear forming in the time space continuum!
Point of origin is Central containment! It's growing exponentially
sir!"

More shudders followed. "Explosions reported on all decks.
Cause is the spatial tear. Emergency and backup systems are not
responding!"

The Marshal looked at the following reports gravely. "Begin
evacuation of headquarters. Send out a distress call to all ships as
well as to the Juraian royal family!"

As the officers worked to comply one man screamed out, "The
security field is down!!! He's free!!! Kain is..." In a blinding flash
of light the Galaxy Police headquarters disappeared. In the
fluctuating energies left behind, a ghostly white face formed. Kain
had returned.

End (for now)

Story Notes:

(S1): In the OVA series Tenchi and the gang went to the resort.
The old woman was there. Her name was never given. According to
the Tenchi encyclopedia, she is actually Tenchi's great-grandaunt.

On this piece I have concentrated on the growing relationship
between Achika and Ranma. They seem like an interesting couple.

As for the setting of the story, it is based on the "Tenchi Muyo In
Love" movie. The time this takes place at would be around the
70's.

Author Notes:

Due to positive responses to the first part, I have continued my pet
project. Hopefully this will also be met with good results. I'd like
to thank everyone for their support and the helpful comments and
criticism I've received vie e-mail.

As always I look forward to any suggestions anyone has to offer.
Feel free to e-mail me.

I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in pre-reading my
works.
Also, I'm getting a web page soon. Since I cant draw I was
wondering if anyone out there would mind doing some fan-art and
send me a picture of Ranma and Achika together.

Send all mail to the address below. For the subject please put:

Ranma|Tenchi

cr...@alum.rpi.edu