[Ranma/Tenchi][FanFic] Tales of Ranma and Achika Chapter 03

Darwin Cruz

Apr 2, 2003, 11:38:00 PM4/2/03

Pug Productions

*********************************
Author: Pug
cr...@alum.rpi.edu
*********************************

Insert standard disclaimer here:
A fan fiction based on Takahashi Rumiko's Manga series,
Ranma 1/2. The characters of Ranma 1/2 are the property of
TakahashiRumiko and her licensees.

All characters portrayed in this story are owned by their
respective creators and companies. I don't own any of
them. Please don't sue me.

Genra: Ranma/Tenchi Muyo Alternate Reality, cross-over.

Version notes:

Ver: 1.00 created: Aug 10 1999
This is still a draft. Forgive any spelling or
grammar mistakes.
Ver: 1.25 Some spelling and grammar corrections.
Formatting also cleaned up.
Change of e-mail address.
Addition of author's notes at the end.
Ver: 1.99 Final Version

Previous: Ranma leaves the Tendo dojo in search of a cure
to his curse. To escape the fiancée mess, his
mother has disowned him from the Saotome clan.
In his search, Ranma has come to the Masaki
Shrine and had met the daughter of the priest
there. Her name is Achika Masaki.

Tales of Ranma and Achika

The Girl who wasn't and the Princess who was

Chapter 3.

The Future.

The room was dim, the only light coming from the flickering of an
old 8mm film being watched on the screen.

"Tenchi-sama, what are we watching?" Ayeka asked. She was
munching on a seaweed wrapped cracker of which she had a bowl
full.

"It's an old film." Tenchi explained. "Sasami-chan found it and a
bunch of old pictures when she was cleaning out the basement. I
didn't even know they were there."

Tenchi turned his head back to the screen. The homemade movie
showed a young dark haired girl walking alone through a wooded
area.

"Tenchi, who is that girl?" Sasami looked on curiously. Ryo-Ohki
was perched on top of the little girl's head as usual.

"That's my mother Sasami-chan."

"Ahhh, she's very pretty!" Sasami said taking another cracker
from the bowl Ayeka held.

"She should be, she's a descendent of the Jurai family. It's in the
royal blood," Ayeka commented.

"Funny, don't you have royal blood too, Ayeka?" Ryoko asked
smirking. She finished the cracker she was munching on and
reached for another.

Ayeka pulled her bowl away glaring at the space pirate.

"Hey! You can't eat all of it!" Ryoko growled. Ayeka just stuck
her tongue out at her, and then bit down on a cracker.

Ryoko went over and grabbed Tenchi's elbow. "Tenchi," she said
in a fawning voice, "Ayeka is being greedy again, eating all those
crackers. Everyone can see how much weight she's gained cause
she's such a glutton."

"Uh..." Tenchi said nervously as he looked between the princess
and the pirate.

Sasami spoke up coming to the rescue. "Tenchi, who's that?" The
green haired girl said pointing to the screen.

Everyone forgot about the argument and looked to the film. There
they saw another girl standing next to Achika. She was a bit
shorter with her hair was tied up in a pigtail. Achika was seen to
be talking to the pigtailed girl. The two were obviously friends.
Achika seemed to be enjoying the day while the other girl had a
somewhat annoyed expression.

"She looks kind of familiar, can't seem to recall from where
though." Ryoko's brows knitted in thought.

"I don't know," Tenchi replied. "I don't think I've seen her before.
I guess she was a friend of my mother's."

As the group continued to watch, an odd thing happened. Almost
as if a person was taking an eraser to the projected image, Achika
and the pigtailed girl began to disappear.

"Hm, something must be wrong with the film." Tenchi got up to
check the projector. And then the pain hit him.
"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

"Tenchi!" Ryoko cried.

"Oneesan! What happening to Tenchi!" Sasami grabbed at her
sister.

"Tenchi-sama is disappearing!" Ayeka screamed.

Tenchi looked at his hand as he gasped for breath. It was
translucent and quickly fading away. "W-what's happening to m-"

****----***----****

The present, 1970.

"I got ya now 'old man'!" Ranma taunted throwing a quick series of
punches at his opponent.

Katsuhito fell back before the onslaught. The past two months of
constant sparing had greatly improved Ranma's skill, and Ranma's
tenacity only served to make the boy more dangerous. But even
backed by his stubbornness, he was still no match for the Shinto
priest.

Ranma charged in but quicker than he could react, Katsuhito
sidestepped and smacked him on the back adding to his
momentum. Ranma was sent sprawling with the little push and
landed on the ground taking a mouth full of dirt.

"Not bad." Katsuhito said walking over to him. "Not bad, but not
good either. " He held his hand out.

"I'll get you tomorrow," Ranma vowed taking the hand up. Ranma
laughed to himself. He had been saying that since he had first
fought the older man. 'One day...' he thought.

"It's almost time for dinner. Achika-chan said she was making
something special tonight."

"I'll catch up, sensi. I just want to practice a bit more," Ranma
said.

Katsuhito nodded. "Don't over do it." The older man walked off
whistling a quiet tune

Ranma started the kata Katsuhito had taught him. He owed much
to the Shinto priest. Even though Ranma had been a stranger when
he first came, Katsuhito had welcomed him openly. The Masaki
shrine had become a new home for Ranma. Katsuhito and Achika,
a new family. His curse changed nothing in the priest's eyes. In
fact Katsuhito had already known about it. The priest wouldn't tell
him how he had known which still bothered Ranma.

When he finished, Ranma went home for dinner.

**--*--**

"That was great Achika! I'm so stuffed, that I can hardly eat
another bite," Ranma said finishing the last of the rice in his bowl.
It was his fourth serving.

"Well that's too bad, you'll have to miss desert then." Achika
smiled getting up to go to the kitchen. She came out carrying a
small chocolate cake. "I baked it myself," she said proudly.

"Wow!" Ranma said, feeling his appetite returning. "What's the
occasion?" He asked.

Achika glanced at her father and smiled.

"Sensi?" Ranma looked at the man.

"This is for you, Ranma." Katsuhito said pulling a paper wrapped
package from behind him.

"What's this?" Ranma pulled the strings and unwrapped the gift.
Inside was a black jacket and matching black pants. "A uniform?"

Achika nodded excitedly. "Yes, father arranged it so that you
could attend school with me when it opens next week. At first
they wouldn't admit you since you didn't have any parents..."

Ranma winced at the statement, remembering the bittersweet
memory of his mother disowning him for free him from the
multiple engagements his father had callously placed upon him.

"Ranma I didn't mean..." Achika said embarrassed.

"It's ok Achika. So how did ya get ronin like me into school old
man." He said looking at Katsuhito.

Achika handed him a slip of paper. "Father declared himself your
legal guardian. This is your registration card, Ranma."

Ranma's eyes widened when he saw the piece of paper. "Sensi?"
Katsuhito had already done so much for him, and now this. As his
guardian the old man was willing to take responsibility for him.
Ranma felt a knot in his throat as he spoke. "Thank you... thank
you very much, Masaki-sensi."

"Are you sure, Ranma?" Katsuhito asked.

"Yes sensi, I am sure. It would be nice to go back to school,"
Ranma said looking down at the card.

Achika smiled and began cutting the cake.

****----***----****

It was autumn. With the end of the summer months came the
beginning of a new school year. Students once more walked down
the halls, played in the schoolyard, and gossiped about things that
had happened during their vacation.

It was a time for friends to see old faces. In Ranma's case it was a
time to see a whole bunch of new faces. Getting off the bus, he
looked at the campus. 'Feels just like my first day at Furinkan,' he
thought.

"Ranma?" Achika asked.

"Just remembering a few things from the last school I went to,
Achika," Ranma said to the girl next to him. He tugged at the
collar of the school uniform he wore. "These things itch," he
muttered.

Achika laughed. "The uniforms aren't that bad Ranma. Besides,
didn't you have to wear on at the school you went to before?"

Ranma frowned. "Nope, never wore a uniform in my life."

"Well I think you look quite handsome in one," Achika said
blushing. She noticed as an odd expression came on his face.
"Ranma?"

"We're going to be late Achika," he said walking off.

"I'll catch up. I just want to say hello to my friends."

Ranma nodded and headed off to class.

***---**---***

Ranma got to the homeroom. The teacher wasn't there yet. The
students patiently waited at their desks chatting among themselves.

Ranma took one of the seats near the back of the room. Ignoring
the looks he received from the flustered girls in the class he leaned
back in his chair and relaxed.

"Hello," the student next to him said. "You must be new here."

"Yeah, I transferred. I'm Ranma," he said turning to the boy who
had spoken.

"Pleased to meet you, Ranma-san."

"You don't have to be so formal. Just call me Ranma."

"Very well then, Ranma. I'm Nobuyuki." They shook hands.

>From the corner of his eye, Ranma saw Achika come in with two
other girls. The three were caught up in some friendly
conversation.

"How was your vacation Achika-chan?" A girl sitting next to her
asked.

"It was ah... interesting, Tanaka-chan," Achika said.

"Meet any cute boys at your father's shrine?" Tanaka said teasing.
She knew how isolated the shrine was.

Achika choked.

As Achika was about to answer, another girl turned around. "No
keeping secrets now Achika." Akemi said. I saw you coming off
the bus with that boy. You looked pretty close. Spill it, Achika!"

"Which boy?" Tanaka butted in.

"The one with the pigtail sitting near the window. Oh he looks
sooooo cute!" Akemi held her hands to her face and sighed.

"Him? That hunk with Nobuyuki-kun?" Tanaka said surprised.
"So, Achika-chan. Tell us about your boyfriend." Tanaka leaned
in.

"R-ranma and I aren't like that," Achika said desperately.

"His name is Ranma..." Akemi had a dreamy look on her face.

"There's nothing between us, he just stayed up at the shrine during
the summer." Achika tried to explain.

"You spent the summer the summer at that isolated shrine of yours
with that cute guy? How romantic! I want to hear everything you
did, and don't leave out the juicy bits." The two other girls were
practically drooling.

"It wasn't like that!" Achika argued.

"Ranma..." Akemi sighed again.

"I just feel sorry for Nobuyuki-kun, being tossed aside like
yesterday's newspaper. I know you had the biggest crush on him
last year when school ended." Tanaka looked at the other boy next
Ranma was chatting with.

Achika blushed.

"Achika-chan, now that you have your Ranma I can have
Nobuyuki-kun right?"

"No! I'm telling you that Ranma's not my boyfriend." Achika said
exasperated.

Tanaka sniffed. "Humph how greedy, wanting two cute boys for
yourself."

"Ranma..." Akemi said.

Achika gave up in disgust. She was saved from further
embarrassment when the teacher came rushing through the door.
She was a tall blond woman, nicely tanned and wearing a pink
sweater with a dun skirt.

As the woman moved to her desk she tripped over the chair and
fell throwing various papers she had been carrying into the air.
She got up with a sheepish look on her face and introduced herself
to the class. "Um... hello... I'm Mihoshi Kurumitsu." The papers
fluttered down around her.

Everyone in the class was too shocked to stand up and greet the
bedraggled sensi.

"Please don't tell me that's our teacher," Ranma said.

Nobuyuki could only shake his head in wonder as Mihoshi fell to
the floor again while trying to snag a paper in the air.

It took a full ten minutes for Mihoshi to get organized, the class
looked on with a mixture of disbelief and shock. Just as Mihoshi
was about to begin the day's lesson, the principal walked into class
and introduced himself.

"Mihoshi-sensi, sorry to interrupt but you'll be teaching two more
students who will be joining the class."

"That's wonderful!" Mihoshi said full of enthusiasm.

The principal, Mr. Tamo addressed the room. "I know that all of
you will give a warm welcome our two new students."

Achika and everyone else in the class turned their attention to the
new figures coming through the door. There were oohs and aahs
when the first girl walked in. She walked with a graceful step and
her demure manner captivating the students.

Achika felt like a beached walrus comparing herself to how the girl
moved. Nervously she glanced over to Ranma gauging his
reaction to the new girl. Achika relaxed when she saw his
indifferent look. Achika caught herself. 'Why am I being so
protective all of a sudden?'

"Hello," the girl said softly. "I'm am Ayeka Jurai." There was a
quiet nobility in her presence. She bowed and took her seat in the
class. She sat just a seat over from Achika.

As the class was marveling at Ayeka, another girl entered the
room. Everyone gaped in shock at her spiked hair and punkish
look. "Yo!" She said giving the victory sign as she sauntered in.

"Ahem." The principal cleared his throat.

"Name's Ryoko Hakubi," she said casually. She then took a seat
next to Ayeka who seemed perturbed by the act.

>From his seat Ranma perked up. 'Ryoko? Naw, can't be. Just a
coincidence.'

As Mihoshi started class, Achika saw the tension between the two
girls grow.

"Honestly, Ryoko, why can't you act normal for a change!" Ayeka
whispered angrily.

"Well, I guess I can't be all prim and proper like a stuck up snob I
know." Ryoko smirked.

"Ryyyyyyyoooookkooooo..." Ayeka said through her teeth as she
leaned in.

"Any time," Ryoko replied, her hands began to tingle with energy.
It was then that Ranma fell out of his seat from leaning back too
far. Both Ayeka and Ryoko noticed the reaction that the boy had.
The two quickly stopped their argument and turned their attention
to the front of the class.

Ranma climbed back into his seat. Now and again he would steal
some glances to the two new girls. 'Damn, those two make
Akane's battle aura look like a night light.' He shivered thinking
what could happen if those two ever went all out.

Achika sat in her chair growing a bit distressed at Ranma interest
in other girls.

***---**---***

With the noon bell came lunch. The students got out their bentos,
clustering around together to talk.

Achika opened up her container looking at the food inside. 'Wow,
Ranma sure packed a lot of food for me. I don't think I can finish
this much.'

At his desk Ranma sneezed. "Au nuts!" He muttered.

"Something wrong Ranma?" Nobuyuki asked.

"I packed myself the wrong lunch." Looking over across the room
he was Achika digging into 'his' lunch. His stomach growled as he
poked his chopsticks in the bowl.

>From their part of the room Ayeka and Ryoko were watching the
two boys.

"Amazing isn't it, Ayeka?" Ryoko was talking with her mouth full.
"Going back in time and seeing Tenchi's mother and father?"

"Tenchi looks as handsome as his father doesn't he?" Achika said
daintily picking at her food.

"I agree, he does look cute. But not as cute as my Tenchi though."

Ayeka slammed her chopsticks down. "What do you mean 'your'
Tenchi!?!"

"Just what you think it means!"

Everyone in the room was looking at them now. Ryoko spun
around. "What are you all looking at?!?" The students quickly
turned back to their food and started to eat quickly.

"Humph!" Ryoko said sitting down and tearing into her food.
Ayeka grew a sweat drop.

***---**---***

The halls became filled with students when the end of the day
came. Going to their lockers to change their shoes they packed
their books for the trip home.

As Achika made her way through the hall, she saw a familiar
pigtail sticking out in the crowd.

"Ranma!" She yelled above the noise. Achika saw Ranma wave
at her as she made her way toward him.

When she got to him she was surprised to see another familiar
face. "Nobuyuki-kun!"

"Achika-san, how are you?" The spectacled boy smiled.

"You know each other?" The three of them spoke at the same
time.

Nobuyuki laughed. "Achika and I were friends since grade
school"

"Oh..." Ranma said.

"Ranma, how do you know Nobuyuki-kun?" Achika asked.

"We just met today." Ranma confessed.

"And you two know each other already right?" Nobuyuki asked.

"I live with her." Ranma said tilting his head to Achika. Ranma
flushed realizing what he said. "I mean we're living together... but
not like that! Well ya see..." Ranma found himself turning to
Achika for help.

"Ranma's been living up at the shrine with father and me. He's
been training with father and helping with the shrine." Achika
explained calmly, though her face had a slight red tint to it.

"Ah..." Nobuyuki said understanding.

***---**---***

"You and Nobuyuki seem to know each other pretty well." Ranma
said. He and Achika were the last people on the bus. The
commute from the shrine to the school was a long trip because of
its remote location.

Achika perked up at the remark. "We're very good friends," she
said.

"Just friends?" Ranma asked.

"Yes, just friends. Why do you ask?" said Achika. She felt her
heart beat a little faster. 'Is Ranma jealous?' She studied his face
and wondered.

Just then the bus slowed to a stop. Looking out they saw the stone
steps leading up to the shrine. "Our stop," Ranma said.

Achika quickly got up and exited the bus. Ranma slowly made his
way down the aisle. At the front of the bus he saw his reflection in
the rearview mirror. 'Just friends...' he thought to himself.

As he stepped off, Achika grabbed his hand. "Ranma it looks like
it's going to rain," she said. "If we hurry we might be able to get
home before it starts."

Ranma nodded and the two of them were quickly scampering up
the steps. The house came into view as Ranma felt the first drops
of water hit him. "Should have known by now that it was pointless
trying to avoid cold water," he muttered.

"Well at least we're home." Achika said opening the front door.
"Hello? Father?" Ranma wrung her red pigtail before she walked
in.

When Achika and Ranma entered the main room, they saw
Katsuhito sitting at the table having tea with two girls.

"You two!" Achika exclaimed as she recognized Ayeka and
Ryoko.

"Achika-chan, we have some guests staying with us for a while.
The school called and asked if we could look after Ayeka and
Ryoko. It seems that they live a good distance away and the daily
commute to school would be too difficult for them." the priest
explained. Ayeka and Ryoko both smiled and waved. "I'm sure
we will all enjoy the extra company."

Achika smiled. "I'm sure of it father. And besides, Ayeka and
Ryoko are in the same class as I am. "

Ayeka and Ryoko saw Ranma slinking away toward the kitchen.
Katsuhito noticed and cleared his throat. "You already know my
daughter Achika, but you might not know Ranko-chan."

Ranma froze in mid step. "Uh... Hi!"

"Pleased to meet you Miss. Ranko," Ayeka said.

"Yo!" Seconded Ryoko.

"Ranko-chan is a student of mine. She is also staying
here." Katsuhito explained.

"You go to the same school as us?" Ayeka asked, looking at the
boy's uniform the redhead was wearing.

"Um... sorta..." Ranma said hesitating.

"Funny, I don't remember seeing you at school," Ryoko
commented. Her brows knit thoughtfully.

Ranma was beginning to sweat. "Well... I guess I better get dinner
started," she said with a forced smile. "Achika, would you please
help me?"

"Sur- ack!" Achika felt herself grabbed and was dragged away to
the kitchen.

"Would you like some more tea?" Katsushito asked.

Ayeka and Ryoko blinked.

In the kitchen, Ranma was pacing back and forth while Achika was
calmly getting the utensils. "What am I going to do now? They've
already seen me like this. I can't change back."

"We could tell them about your curse," Achika suggested trying to
calm the redhead down.

Ranma gave her the 'look'.

"Ok... I guess you'll have to be Ranko for a while."

"I'm already getting a bad feeling about this." Ranma shivered.
She began to chop up the vegetables for the meal. "Ayeka seems
ok, but that Ryoko... I mean her name..."

"Odd isn't it? It just seems to fit her though." Achika shrugged.

"Why do I feel like everything has suddenly gotten complicated?"

"I thought it would be every guy's dream to be in a house filled
with cute girls." Achika smirked.

"Not when I'm one of the girls!" Ranma said exasperated.

Achika saw the expression on Ranma's face and burst out laughing.
"Sorry Ranko er... Ranma."

The redhead shook her head in disgust. "Well at least three cute
girls out of four ain't bad."

"Hey!"

"Gotcha!" Ranma smiled.

The rest of the cooking was carried out smoothly.

***---**---***

It was evening.

"How are things going?" Tenchi asked as Ayeka and Ryoko
approached. He, Sasami, Mihoshi and Kiyone were waiting at the
now deserted Masaki shrine.

"Tenchi!" Ryoko said wrapping herself around the boy's arm.

"Ryoko, can't you see that your bothering Tenchi-sama," Ayeka
snarled.

"Your just jealous cause Tenchi is showing his true affections for
me." Ryoko retorted.

"Ryoko..." Ayeka began dangerously.

"A-Ahhh... Ayeka... Ryoko..." Tenchi began to sweat heavily.

Just then Sasami jumped up gathering her backpack. She looked
very cute wearing a shirt and shorts toped off with a baseball cap
on her head. "Everyone, Washu is giving us a call," she piped in.
She pulled down a pair of reflective shades from the brim of the
hat and an antenna emerged from her backpack.

The shades became a small monitor and after a bit of static an
image of Washu at her terminal was seen. Everyone crowded in
around the little girl to get a better view.

"Ah good! You all made it to the past safely. I wasn't sure if the
time machine was going to work or not," Washu, the greatest
scientific genius in the universe, said.

"What!?!" was the collective response from the group.

Ryoko pushed Tenchi out of the way went to the front of the small
monitor. "What do you mean that your weren't sure! We could
have been sent to who knows where by your stupid machine!"
Ryoko was fuming.

"Details, details. What's important is that your all there and now
we have a chance at saving Tenchi's parents," Washu said
cheerfully.

"Washu-chan!" Tenchi squeezed between Ryoko and Sasami.
"Do you know when my mother will disappear and who's causing
it?"

"Well, with Kiyone's help we've verified the disappearance of GP
headquarters. Their last transmission dealt with something called
KAIN. I have also managed to narrow down the time the incident
will occur. It will be some where within the next seven days.
With a little more time I'll give you a more accurate answer."

"Thank you Washu-chan," he said gratefully.

"How was school?" Washu said turning to Ayeka and Ryoko.
"Did any of you find anything interesting? How are Tenchi's
parents?"

"Tenchi's mother looked fine." Ayeka told the group.

"I saw her also," Tenchi said. "She almost spotted me during her
gym class. I'll have to be more careful next time. I didn't see my
father though. How's he doing?"

"You father looked almost as cute as you, Tenchi." Ryoko pressed
herself against him.

Ayeka cleared her throat. "The two seem to be getting along well.
I saw them talking in the halls after class."

"That's a relief. If those two don't get together I'll never be born,"
Tenchi said.

"Oh, we also found out who the other girl in the movie was."

"Who is she Ayeka?" Tenchi asked.

"Her name is Ranko, she's a student of your grandfather. She's
living up at the shrine with your mother. They are pretty good
friends," Ayeka explained.

"In the film she was disappearing also, just like my mother. That
means that what ever happened to my mother must have happened
to Ranko also," Tenchi said.

"Hm... I think it would be best if you keep a watch over Achika
and Ranko until I can pinpoint the exact time and place the two of
them disappear," Washu said from the small view screen.

Everyone nodded in agreement. "We better turn in then, we have a
long day tomorrow," Tenchi said to the group.

****----***----****

Four girls rode on the bus to school. Achika sat with Ranma
sharing one of the seats. Achika looked at the redhead who was
nodding off. "Ranko are you ok?"

Ranma had a groggy look on her face. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just
couldn't seem to get to sleep last night." Ranma yawned. "There
was some kind of buzzing in my ears. It kept me up all night. Did
you hear anything?"

Achika shook her head. "No, I didn't hear a thing. Ryoko, Ayeka,
did you hear anything last night." Achika turned to the two other
girls sitting behind them.

"The only thing I heard was Ayeka snoring." Ryoko smirked.

"I do not snore!" Ayeka said angrily.

"Ah... Never mind," Achika said quickly as she saw another
argument starting to build. She quickly sat back in her seat.

"Don't those two ever stop?" Compared to them, Akane,
Shampoo and Ukyou's arguments seemed tame. Ranma felt sorry
for anyone unlucky enough to get caught in the middle when the
two were going at it.

The girls disembarked at the school. Walking through the gates,
Ayeka leaned over to Ryoko. "Ryoko, do you know why Ranko is
wearing a boy's uniform?" She said in a hushed voice.

"Um-hm," Ryoko said. "She's a tomboy."

"Ah... so that's it," Ayeka nodded. 'I guess that's the way things
work on Earth,' the Jurai princess thought.

Achika and Ranma had both heard the remark. Achika covered her
mouth to keep from laughing while Ranma struggled to keep her
temper.

"Well, I better get going," Ranma said leaving the group. Along
with her books and lunch, she also carried a large thermos. 'Just
got to find a place to change,' Ranma thought.

"Where's Ranko-san going?" Ayeka asked.

"Ranko is in a different class than us," Achika said.

"It's for all the tomboys," Ryoko said.

"I see," Ayeka said.

Ranma walked off, her pigtail standing on end.

****----***----****

"Today we will be going over the legend of the Demon of
Rashomon," Mihoshi said starting class. "It is a love story
between a princess, a demon and a warrior..." She was reading
through her notes.

"Ah, Mihoshi-sensi?" Nobuyuki raised his hand up. "Didn't you
already go over that sto... eh?" He felt a jab at his ribs and saw
Ranma shaking his head.

"What was that?" Mihoshi asked looking up from her mess of
notes.

"Ah... Never mind sensi," Nobuyuki whispered over to Ranma.
"Ranma, why did you stop me?"

Ranma yawned, "I wanted to get some sleep but I didn't want to
miss anything. Wake me up when it's lunchtime will ya?" With
that he rested his head in his arms. Quiet snoring was heard a few
minutes later.

Nobuyuki rolled his eyes, then pulled out his sketchbook and
started drawing.

The rest of the class followed suit, as Mihoshi was busy fumbling
with writing down notes on the chalkboard.

After lunch was recess. Many students took the opportunity to
stretch their legs and enjoy the outdoors before the second part of
the day began.

Ranma was on his way to his locker to put his lunch box away. As
he rounded the corner he spotted Achika going through one of the
doors leading out to the campus. "Achika!" Ranma called out, but
the girl didn't hear him. With a shrug, Ranma followed after.

Rounding the corner he crashed into one of the janitors. "Sorry
about that. Are you ok?" He asked the dark haired woman.

Kiyone nodded. "I'm fine, are you ok? I should have been more
careful."

Ranma picked up the empty bucket and mop and handed it to
Kiyone. "Here ya go." He said hurrying after Achika.

"Thanks." Kiyone walked off muttering to herself. "Graduated
second in my class at the academy and I'm mopping floors..."

****----***----****

Nobuyuki sat by himself near the edge of campus. He enjoyed the
view and peacefulness of the place. With a content look he
sketched away in the drawing pad he always carried.

"Nobuyuki-kun aren't you on clean up duty today?" A voice said
behind him.

"Oh Achika!" He said a bit startled at her sudden appearance. He
quickly closed the book and shoved it under his bag.

"What are you doing way up here?" Achika asked. Then her eyes
fell upon an exposed corner of the sketchpad. "Hey, what are you
drawing?"

"It doesn't matter..." Nobuyuki said hesitantly.

"Well..." Achika feigned indifference then as soon as Nobuyuki let
his guard down she quickly pulled the book from beneath the bag
and flipped through the pages. "Please show me, show me!" She
chirped as she looked through the book.

Nobuyuki tried in vain to get the book from her.

"What's this?" she asked pointing to one of the sketches.

"It's really nothing. Just a few ideas I have for a house the I'd like
to build someday," he said giving up.

"A house?"

He looked out to the horizon. He began a bit nervously. "Well I--I
I love..."

"Yes?" Achika looked at him a blush coming to her cheeks.

"I love to imagine and draw different houses like this. I want to be
an architect one day. Designing and building all sorts of things
that people will live in and see. ." Nobuyuki explained to her.

"Oh?" Achika said. Oddly she felt a mixture of disappointment
and relief at his remark.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked looking at her expression.

"Oh, it's nothing..."

"Can I have the book?" Taking the book in hand, Nobuyuki
started to fill in the last of the details in the picture.

"Uh you know, a window might be nice by the roof," Achika
suggested as she watched him. "Don't you think?"

"What?" He tried adding a few lines. "Like this?

Achika shook her head. "Well more like that."

"Hey you've got good taste Achika-chan," Nobuyuki laughed as he
added the finishing touches.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah."

In the distance hidden behind one of the trees, Ranma watched.
With a downcast expression, he put his hands in his pockets and
slowly shuffeled his way back to school.

****----***----****

"How was your day, Achika-chan?" Katsuhito asked greeting the
four girls coming home.

"It was ok, father. I just can't wait for tomorrow though." Achika
smiled.

"Ah, that's right." He said rubbing his chin. "The field trip to
Tokyo eh?"

Achika nodded. She looked over to the other girls, "Would you
like some help with dinner, Ranko?" Behind were Ryoko and
Ayeka who were caught up in another petty argument.

"No thanks Achika. I can do it myself."

"Oh..." she said surprised by Ranma's brisk manner.

"What's eating her?" Ryoko asked turning away from a fuming
Ayeka.

"I don't know..." Achika had a concerned look on her face. 'Ranma
seemed pretty excited this morning about the trip.'

Ranma set dinner at the usual time. Everyone gathered around the
table with expectant looks on their faces.

"Mmmm... Smells good!" Ryoko said as Ranma brought out the
dishes. "Looks good too."

"You've done a wonderful job Ranko-san." Ayeka dug into the
bowl.

"Thanks." Ranma brought out the last of the meal.

Achika noticed that Ranma didn't even look at her when she served
her. Ranma had been like this since the afternoon. Achika kept
silent hoping that Ranma would get over what was bothering her.

"Ranko-chan, are you not having dinner with us?" Katsuhito asked
when he was Ranma head back into the kitchen.

"I ate when I was making dinner, sensi. I better start packing my
things for the trip." Ranma said curtly.

Katsuhito nodded his head.

Achika slowly chewed her food. She wasn't feeling that hungry
anymore.

Dinner ended and Ranma was nowhere to be found. Achika had
cleared the table and washed the dishes in the redhead's absence.
With the chores done, she excused herself and went looking for her
friend.

Going to the only place she could think of, Achika put on a jacket
and went outside. Though it was late in the evening, a full moon
was out lighting up the night sky.

Achika carefully made her way down the lit path. When she
reached the training area she heard her. Through the opening in
the woods, she saw Ranma going through various katas while
balancing on the wooded posts anchored in the ground.

The redhead's brow was covered with drops of perspiration and her
shirt was damp with sweat. "What do you want?" Ranma asked,
not stopping in the exercise.

Achika was startled by not only the way she had detected her
presence but also by the coldness of her words. "I-I did the dishes
for you..." she began.

"You didn't have ta, I would have done em' later," she said.

"Ranma, I..."

"Just leave me alone for a bit, Achika." Ranma turned her back to
her and started the exercise again.

Achika's face was filled with confusion. She couldn't understand
why Ranma was acting like that. She tried to speak out but no
words would come. The night air seemed colder and she felt a dull
ache grow with her. The path home was dark and lonely.

Achika was gone.

Ranma stopped the kata and wearily leaned up against a tree.
"Damn it!" she said slamming her fist into the wood causing a
chunk to break off. 'You don't need another fiancée. You got
more important things to do. You got a cure to find,' She reasoned
with herself. 'Besides, how could she possibly love some freak
like you?' Ranma sank down to the ground and buried her face in
her hands.

As she sat there a dull ringing grew in her ears. It was the same
ringing which had been plaguing her sleep for the past few nights.

Ranma shook her head a few times but the ringing remained. She
tried cupping her hands over her ears but it did no good. With a
resigned sigh she groggily made her way back to the house.

As she walked the ringing became stronger. "What the heck is
going on?" She started running through the woods trying to get
back to the house. When the noise became too painful Ranma
staggered to the ground gripping her head. And then the sound
suddenly vanished.

Looking around, Ranma found herself facing the Masaki Holy tree.
"Here?" Her eyes widened. The tree stood solemnly in the
moonlight.

"You're doing this to me, aren't you?" Anger started to grow.
Around her a yellow aura of Ki formed. As she had done countless
times before, Ranma used her Ki reaching out to the Holy tree.
Once again the images of the past filled her mind. The ringing
returned and now she understood that the noise was actually the
sounds that were associated with the images flashing before her.

As she watched she felt the barrier again. Some unknown force
pushing here away. "You won't beat me... not this time..." Ranma
said through her teeth. She focused her Ki and fought back
pushing against the force. With the force of her will, she
compressed her aura tighter and tighter as far as she could down to
a single point. With a final push, she punched her way through.

Ranma found herself tumbling in a swirl of light and color pulled
by a force that was irresistible. Glancing below her she saw her
body sitting near the Masaki tree. The tree itself was glowing, a
pillar of light was shooting out from it. She realized that she was
in that pillar.

Ranma traveled upward, the land below her growing smaller with
each second. Soon the earth was nothing more that a point of light
as her journey continued through the stars. Her mind reeled,
trying to contemplate what was happening. But the stress was too
much, and consciousness left her.

When she awoke, Ranma found herself lying on top of a stone
pillar. There were other pillars around her, varying in height and
size, all of them rising out from water. "Where am I?" The surreal
world stretched out toward an endless horizon of black.

Picking a direction in random, Ranma hopscotched from one pillar
to another. On the water's surface she saw her reflection, her male
body stared back at her. "How..."

It was then that a shaft of light rose up in the distance. "I guess
someone's home." She made her way toward it hopping from
pillar to pillar again. Surprise grew on her face when she found the
source of the light. It was another tree just like the one in the
Masaki shrine. But this one looked older, more ancient.

"What is this?" She moved forward. She was caught in mid-stride
as an elegant woman appeared facing her. She wore silken robes of
pastel shades, and her cyan hair reached far down her back.
Though she stood still, her body seemed to flow with motion filled
with solemn grace and dignity.

"Hello Ranma," the woman said.

"How do you know me?"

"I've been watching you. From the first moment you came to the
shrine I've been watching you."

"Who are you?" Ranma asked in awe.

"Tsunami." Her rich voice echoed around them.

"Your were the one behind everything. The images, the sounds,
the power... You were what I felt within the tree weren't you?"
Ranma accused.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"To test you. To see what kind of person you were. To take
measure of the heart within you." she said simply. "You passed.
In fact you were more than I expected."

"Test me for what?" Ranma felt her anger grow as she realized she
had been manipulated.

"Something is coming Ranma, something so dark and evil that
even those who would call themselves gods tremble in its wake. I
have chosen you Ranma. You will be the instrument of my design
in stopping what is to come."

"Forget it!" Ranma yelled back. "Nobody uses me! Go find som-"
She stopped as a collage of horror passed through her eyes.
Ranma saw slaughter of thousands, she heard the screams of
anguish when they died, and through all the suffering a ghostly
face of white smiled.

Ranma fell to the ground shivering. "Get out of my head!" She
said through clenched teeth.

"You've seen the face of evil, Ranma. You've seen Kain."

Ranma relaxed as the face faded from her mind. From where she
sat Ranma saw Tsunami's reflection in the water around. It was the
image of a little girl with two ponytails.

"What are you?" she gasped.

"I am older than most stars, I have watched civilizations rise and
fall, and yet with all my power my hands are tied. To interfere
directly would allow others to do the same. Only you can do what
needs to be done," She said simply.

"I said I don't wa-"

"Do you love Achika?" Tsunami asked.

"What?" Ranma was taken back by the question. She found
herself looking at Tsunami's pale eyes.

"Kain is coming for her. He'll find her no matter where she hides
and chase her to infinity and back. You are her only hope."

"Why! Why Achika?"

"Because of what she is. As a descendant of Yosho, there is a
potential with her that has yet to be awakened. Given more time
Achika could fend for herself. But as she is now... At best she
might survive the conflict only to live a shortened life. At
worse..."

"Why should I believe you? You could be lying to me, using me
again! Hell, I could be dreaming this entire thing!"

"Do you truly believe that?"

Ranma shut her eyes and steadied her breath. She knew the
answer. She knew it within her heart. "What can I do against that
monster?"

Tsunami smiled. "You'll know when the time comes." She held
her palm out. "Return..."

Ranma's mind snapped back into focus. "No! Wait, I need to know
if you can cure me!!!" She yelled as she felt herself falling away.
She tumbled back through the stars, speeding through Earth's
atmosphere via pillar of light. And then she was back.

"Achika... What do I tell her?" Kain's face surfaced in her mind
again. "Nothing..." Ranma decided. "Better if she didn't know..."
With a tired sigh, Ranma slowly made her way home.

****----***----****

A knock came to the door. Achika placed the last of her things in
her bag and went to answer it.

"Ranma..."

"Can I come in?" the redhead asked.

Achika nodded and stepped back.

"About tonight..." Ranma began. "I..."

"Ranma?" Achika saw the hesitation on her face.

"Achika I'm sorry about the way I acted. I shouldn't have treated
you like that. Achika, I care about you a lot. I... I..."

Achika felt her heart beating faster and her mouth go dry. 'Is he
going to say what I think he's going to say?' Immediately her
heart beat ten times faster as she hung to his stuttering words.
"Ranma?"

"I... just wanted to tell you that whatever happens I promise to be
there for you Achika. I'm your friend no matter what." Ranma
said quietly.

"Ranma wait, I..." Achika caught herself. She could feel a warm
flush grow on her face.

"Goodnight Achika." Ranma closed the door behind her.

She went to her bed and curled up with a pillow. "Just friends?"
she wondered. She knew that she should have been happy that
they had made up, but inside she wasn't.

****----***----****

The train ride to Tokyo had been a disaster. About half way
through the trip a massive breakdown occurred in one of the cars.
Luckily no one was hurt but the delay lasted for hours. The
students got to their rooms late in the evening leaving little time to
explore the bustling city of Tokyo that night.

The next day the tour of Tokyo began, everyone was tired and
grumpy from the lack of sleep. It was a blessing that the first stop
was the city park. It gave the students some time to relax and
wander off on their own.

Achika walked among the trees, gold and orange leaves of autumn
fell around her. It amazed her how in a large city like Tokyo, a
place like this could exist. It reminded her of the Shrine back
home.

As she walked, Achika saw Ranma walking toward her with an
annoyed look on her face.

"Ranma, what are you doing? Why are you a girl?"

The pigtailed girl frowned. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you.
I can get wet if I was in the middle of a desert." she muttered.

Achika turned her face in amusement. It was then that she and
Ranma noticed that they weren't alone. "Nobuyuki-kun?" A boy
with a camera stood there. "Oh come on, you again? What are
you shooting me for?" Achika said in embarrassment.

"To make a record of memories." Nobuyuki said. "Who's your
friend Achika-chan?" He turned the camera at Ranma. The three
continued to walk entering the center of the park. Other students
were gathered around there also.

"This is Ranko. She is a friend of mine in a different class,"
Achika said.

"Hi," Ranma said softly looking between the two.

"Nice to meet you, Ranko-san. Now I've got a question for the two
of you. Are you enjoying this trip?" He said focusing the camera.

"Yes I am, but there is one thing I'm worried about my father,"
Achika said. I wonder if he is eating ok."

"I'm sure the old man's fine." Ranma said.

Achika smiled. "I know, but still I worry about him. How about
you, Ranko? What do you think of Tokyo so far? It's so much
different from Kurashiki, it's so exciting here. Don't you think?"

"It's ok, I guess," she said with a shrug. Romping around Japan
and half of China with her father had left her desensitized to the
bustling surroundings.

"Next question," Nobuyuki said pointing his camera at them.
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Achika thought for a moment. "Maybe a bride?" She said
blushing.

Around the three, other students heard the conversation. "Whew,
Getting hot and heavy, aren't you, you two?" They commented on
Nobuyuki and Achika's red faces.

"What are you implying we're just talking." Achika's face was
flush with embarrassment. "Ranko, how about you, what do you
want to be when you grow up?" She asked.

Ranma shrugged. "A guy..." She walked off ignoring the odd
looks and stares she got from everyone. "I'll catch you later,
Achika."

Achika was just as surprised as the others with the bluntness of
Ranma's answer. "Ranko..."

>From a park bench, Ryoko and Ayeka watched her go.

"Tomboy, definitely a tomboy." Ryoko said.

Ayeka nodded in agreement.

****----***----****

Everyone sat around the table with worried looks on their faces.
With a quiet hum, the hologram projector turned on and a small
image of Washu appeared before the group.

"Washu-chan!" Tenchi said to the image.

"Hello everyone!" said the super genius.

"Have you figured out a way to save Tenchi's mother yet Washu?"
Ryoko asked.

Washu nodded. "Yes, but before I explain my plan we should
better know who we're facing." With that, another screen popped
up and a text box opened up and gave a rundown of information.

Code name K-A-I-N
Super A-class criminal
Age: unknown.
Gender: unknown.
History: unknown.
Distinguishing characteristics: none
Offender number 070669 rank A
Universal era 507410
Characteristic energy form classified as NVO
General warrant issued:
Wanted for destruction of planets, suspicion of murder
Destroyed 13 federated planets and 275,000 spacecraft
Confined in the GP subspace network for the past 100 years

The room was silent as everyone digested the information.
"Kiyone, I'm scared," Mihoshi cowered next to her partner.

"Get a grip Mihoshi! Remember you're a member of the Galaxy
Police!" Kiyone said harshly, but inside even she was terribly
frightened.

Finally Tenchi spoke. "Washu-chan, why is he after my mother?"

"Kain is a being of pure anti-Jurai energy. One hundred years ago
he went on a killing spree rampaging throughout the known
universe and destroying all in his path. He was finally caught by a
trap laid by the Galaxy Police and with the help from the royal
family of Jurai. Ever since Kain has had a personal hatred for
anyone having the Jurai energy which imprisoned him. Now he
has traveled back in time to kill Achika and Lord Yosho." Washu
finished.

"I can't let that happen. I won't let it happen." Tenchi said.

"How can we stop this guy Washu?" Ryoko asked.

"Tomorrow is the day that Kain will come for Tenchi's mother. It
will happen in Tokyo tower. No one here is strong enough to face
Kain head on. Our only option is to set a trap for him."

"A trap?" Ryoko questioned.

"Yes. We will need to produce enough Jurai energy to trap Kain
back into subspace."

"How about Achika or Yosho? Can either of them give us the
Jurai energy we need?" Ayeka said.

"No, I don't think that either of them could produce that amount.
And in any case it would be better if we they didn't. When Kain
was caught, the emperor of Jurai died in the process from giving
up too much of his energy. Our only choice is to find another
source of energy."

Then how do we get the Jurai power we need?" Ayeka looked at
Washu's flickering hologram.

"Kiyone, show them the map I gave you." Washu instructed.

The police detective unfolded a map of Tokyo. "Washu-san said
of five places where we can produce Jurai energy here on Earth.
We should be able to channel the energy from these places using
this..." she pulled up a brief case onto the table and opened it.
"...the Psy-Wave booster."

Washu nodded. "There are five transmitters which need to be
placed at each of the five sites. The main booster has to be in
position at Tokyo Tower. When Kain arrives, we can set off the
trap by remote and send him back to subspace. Timing is critical.
Everything has to be in place before Kain arrives. Each of you will
have to go to one of the sites and place the transmitters."

"Let me take the main booster to Tokyo Tower," Tenchi said. "I
have to be there for my mother. No matter what..." He pulled out
the Tenchi-ken from his pocket, a determined look was on his face.

"Right then, Tenchi. Leave the rest to us," Ryoko said.

Washu nodded. "All right then. Tenchi will take the main booster
to the tower. The rest of you will have to place the other pieces of
the device at the stated locations. As soon as you place the
transmitters, make your way back to the tower."

"Be careful then Tenchi," Sasami said worriedly.

"Myia..." seconded Ryo-Ohki

"I will, Sasami-chan."

****----***----****

Tenchi made his was through the crowd. He carried the main
booster unit in the bag on his back. The area was packed as
numerous tourists and visitors milled their way around the base of
Tokyo tower. There were long lines for the elevators as people
waited patiently to ascend up to the observatory deck.

"Where are they?" Tenchi looked around searching for the group
of students, which his mother was in. "Maybe I'm early?"

Just then where a section of the crowd parted, he saw his mother
with her friends. She was talking to boy with a smile on her face.
"Is that my father?" Tenchi struggled making his way near the
edge of the crowd to get a better look. As he pushed his way
through he tripped and staggered forward running into another
figure.

"Ack! Grugle! Watch where you're going!" Sputtered the angry
redhead whom he had accidentally pushed at the water fountain.
"All I wanted was a sip of water, not a bath!"

"S-sorry," Tenchi backed up from the angry redhead. She looked
familiar to him somehow and then is clicked in his mind. "You!"
He exclaimed recognizing the redhead as Ranko, his mother's
friend who also disappeared in the film.

"Huh?"

"I mean... you alright?"

"Yeah... Do I know you? Ya look kind of familiar." She said
leaning in and squinting.

"Um... I don't think so." Tenchi replied nervously.

"I'm sure I've seen you some where before..." she said frowning.

"I positive that we haven't met before. Excuse me," Tenchi ducked
back into the crowd.

"Hey, wait," the redhead called out after him.

Weaving his way though the pack of people, Tenchi finally
breathed a sigh of relief seeing he had lost Ranko. "Got to get the
booster on the observatory deck," he reminded himself. He looked
down at his watch; Time was running out.

****----***----****

"Where did he go?" Ranma searched the crowd. An ominous
feeling had been haunting her ever since they left school. Though
out the entire trip Ranma had been on guard preparing for
anything.

Achika had commented on her jumpiness. Her excuse was never
being in a large a city as Tokyo before. Ranma's constant state of
alertness was taking its toll on her. There were just so many things
happening to keep track of.

"I'm never going to find that guy with all these people!" She said
in disgust.

"Ranko!" A voice called out over the crowd.

She turned and saw Achika waving at her. Achika and the rest of
the students were getting in line for the elevator to go to the
observatory. Ranma saw Nobuyuki next to her and frowned.
Ranma looked at her school bag and thought about the thermos full
of hot water inside. "Damn, no time to change back."

With a sigh Ranma headed toward the group.

****----***----****

'I hope everyone got to their assigned places on time,' Tenchi
worried. From his position in the back of the line he could see his
mother. He also looked at the redhead Achika was with.

He was a bit nervous at how Ranko had seemed to recognize him.
Everyone said that he took after his mother. Seeing Achika now,
he realized how right everyone was.

The ding of the elevator opening brought Tenchi back from his
thoughts. Slowly the line moved forward as people boarded the
lift. When he saw that he wasn't going to make it onboard, Tenchi
hurriedly pushed his way through the line. "Excuse... Sorry...
Passing though... Hold the doors!" As the doors were closing,
Tenchi made a last ditch effort reaching out and squeezing his way
though the receding opening.

Making it inside, Tenchi felt something soft and round in his
hands. Tenchi looked down and saw the very annoyed redhead he
was fondling. "I-I-I..." A smack was heard. "Sorry..." he said.
His voice was muffled from the fist that was connected to his face.

"Jerk..." Ranma said pulling her arm back.

"What's going on over there?" Nobuyuki asked.

Achika turned to see what the commotion was about. "Ranm...
Ranko?" Achika pressed her way to the redhead who was busy
strangling a boy.

"All right you pervert, who are you?" Ranma said shaking Tenchi
around.

"It was an accident," Tenchi pleaded.

Achika was about to intervene but as she moved forward, a pain
coursed through her body. Clutching at her sides she gasped out
and would had fallen if Nobuyuki hadn't caught her.

"Achika!" Nobuyuki said. "What's wrong?"

At the same time Tenchi staggered slightly. He too felt the pain
through his body. He shook fighting against the urge to fall over.

Ranma looked at Tenchi in confusion. "Hey, I didn't hit you that
har-" She stopped. The danger sense inside of her kicked in. She
had never felt a force as strong or as malevolent as the one she felt
now.

"Ranko..." Achika whimpered on the floor.

She now saw Achika in agony as Nobuyuki tried to comfort her.
"Achika!" It was then that the elevator stopped.

The students inside the cab looked around in confusion. "What's
happening? What's going on? Why did we stop?"

Tenchi saw the darkening of the clouds around them. It was soon
followed ay a racing light that swirled around the tower itself.
"He's here... Kain..."

Ranma spun around hearing the comment. "What did you say?!?"
she said grabbing Tenchi by the collar.

Tenchi's eyes widened in surprise. It was then anexplosion
occurred shaking the entire tower. When the smoke cleared there
was a hole torn from the elevator. Outside looking in was a ball of
dark energy.

"I smell it." A voice spoke. A face formed in the center of the ball.
It looked at the survivors hungrily.

"No..." Ranma shivered remembering the face. She moved placing
herself in front of Achika.

Tenchi also moved closer to Achika.

"I smell it. I can taste the blood of Jurai." Kain smiled. Then
from his mouth a frigid gust of air blew. It froze all students left
on the elevator. Only those closest to Achika, Ranma, Tenchi and
Nobuyuki were left untouched.

Kain moved in hungrily as he saw the remaining few. "I'll have
the blood of Jurai."

Ranma watched in horror as the faced approached. "Stay back you
monster!" She cupped her hands and focused. "You're not going
to get her! MOUKO TAKABISHA!" A yellow ball of Ki erupted
from her hands striking Kain head on. The impact caused dust and
debris to cloud the air. Ranma felt someone pulling at her.

"Ranko, we have to get Achika out of here!" Tenchi screamed.

"How did you do that?" Nobuyuki yelled over the noise.

"No time to explain!" she said. In the chaos Ranma forced opened
the elevator doors and she and Nobuyuki carried Achika between
them.

"Where to?" Ranma asked.

"Up the stairs to the observation deck." Tenchi called out from
behind. When the four got there the floor was empty. Tenchi
immediately kneeled down and opened his bag pulling out the Psy-
Wave booster. "Got the find the center of the room." He panted.

Ranma and Nobuyuki set Achika down gently. "Wait! Who are
you?" Ranma called out to Tenchi as the boy scurried off.
"Nobuyuki, keep an eye on her." Ranma stood up and went after
Tenchi.

"Hai," the spectacled boy nodded. "Achika, please be all right."

She began to stir from his words. Her face took on a look of terror.
"He's coming... He's coming..." Another explosion ripped through
the tower. The jarring effect set off the fire sprinklers. Cold water
sprayed down from the ceiling drenching everything.

Both Tenchi and Ranma halted in their tracks as they saw the black
form of Kain appear. The criminal was an amorphous mass ever-
changing in shape and form. His body flowed like slick oil as he
floated in the air. The only constant was the face of white.

"I feel it, some one from the house of Jurai is here." Kain said.
"There is some one here who holds tremendous power."

Tenchi ran up to Ranma, both of them were shivering from the
spraying water and from fear. "Please you have to place this at the
center of the room!" He handed off the disk shaped booster to the
protesting redhead. "I'll hold him off so hurry."

"Wait! Damn it!" Ranma cursed. "What the hell is this thing!"
She ran back to Achika and Nobuyuki as Tenchi moved forward to
face off with Kain. "Come on!" Ranma said to the two, we have
to get out of here.

"Who is that boy?" Achika said looking in awe as Tenchi pulled
out the Tenchi-ken. The blue light of the blade lit up the shattered
room.

Ranma's eyes also widened at the sight but she quickly recovered.
"Lets go!" She pulled Achika way with Nobuyuki following after.

"This is as far as you go!" Tenchi declared. The sword of light
glowed with energy.

Kain looked at him curiously. "Are you from the house of Jurai?"
the hollow voice questioned. Kain laughed. "Very interesting.
We'll see how much power you have." Kain struck out with his
hand, his arm stretching to reach Tenchi.

Tenchi held firm and held the light blade in front of him stopping
the attack. The mix of the two energies clashing against each other
was an awesome sight as light crackled against the dark folds.

"Now what?" Ranma said exasperated after placing the booster on
the floor. "What's suppose to happen now!" A scream was heard.
Ranma looked up and saw Tenchi fly across the room and land
heavily onto the floor. The sword he held winked out as he
struggled to get back up.

Kain moved forward menacingly. "This looks like the end of the
house of Jurai. I'll eradicate you and put you out of your misery!"
The monster swore.

The Tenchi-ken once more flashed back to life. "I won't let you
touch my mother!"

Ranma blinked at the statement.

Achika stared stupefied at the boy's remark. She saw Tenchi's
features, his nose, his mouth, and his eyes. Somehow deep inside
her she knew that he has spoken the truth. She clutched at this,
which gave her the strength she needed.

"Achika!" To Nobuyuki's alarm, Achika stood up with defiance.

Tenchi steeled himself for what was to come. His body was numb
from the pain and cold from the water. Everyone had worked so
hard to get to this point. The obstacles that they had to overcome
just to face Kain were miracles in themselves. He knew that there
was no option left for him. He would die before Kain harmed his
mother. As he prepared to attack, a voice rang out.

"Stop!" Achika stood. A force flew out from her pushing back the
debris around her. "Don't touch him!" The fallen water on the
floor rippled around radiating out in waves.

Kain halted his advance. A look of amazement was on his face. "I
found... It's you. I found you! None of the others were the same.
I've come all the way to this planet in the middle of nowhere to
destroy you!" He turned away from Tenchi to face the small girl.

Achika felt her strength falter and fear grew within. "What...
What are you?"

"I am one who has suffered grievously from the power that lies
within you!" Kain growled.

Tenchi watched in horror as Kain went toward his mother. He
yelled out to the redhead next to Achika. "Ranko! Press the red
button! Hurry!"

Ranma didn't have to be told twice. 'What ever this thing does it
better do it quick!' She pressed the button on the disk and instantly
the thing lit up. He grabbed Achika and Nobuyuki. "Come on!"

"What's this?" Kain saw the glowing disk. All around Tokyo, the
five transmitters worked as predicted, gathering energy and
shunting it to the main booster at the tower. A pillar of light shot
forth from the device opening a portal. Kain realized too late that
it was a trap and was caught up in the vortex of the portal. "NO!!!"
He screamed as his black body slowly began to get sucked in.

Ranma, Nobuyuki and Achika held on for dear life to anything that
was bolted down. Around them smaller bits and pieces were being
pulled in. The water from the sprinklers whipped around like a
hurricane was in the room. The force that was imprisoning Kain
threatened to do the same to them.

"No!!!" Kain struggled against the pull of the device but it was a
senseless struggle. Bit by bit his dark form was torn away into the
void. "I will take you with me!" He bellowed. From his hands,
red tendrils shot out wrapping themselves around Achika pulling
her from her hold.

"Achika!!!" Ranma reached out grabbing a hold of the screaming
girl's hand. With her other hand she held on to one of the supports
of the room. "Hold on, don't let go of me!!!"

"Ranma!!!" Achika cried out. She could barely be heard over the
racket.

"I will take you with me!" Kain promised as more of his body was
pulled in.

Ranma felt herself being torn apart as she held on to both Achika
and the metal pole. Then the pole gave way. Ranma felt the
jarring sensation of being pulled in. Nobuyuki reached out and
tried to grab on to the redhead's hand. He missed managing only
to catch on to Ranma's sleeve. For a moment it looked like the
three could hold on but then the shirtsleeve tore off from Ranma
and she and Achika were sent spiraling into the void. And then it
was over. The portal had closed.

"Ranko... Achika..." Nobuyuki looked at the devastation around
him. Water rained down on the twisted rubble. Fatigue and stress
finally took their toll on the young boy and Nobuyuki collapsed in
exhaustion.

****----***---****

"Mother!!!" Tenchi screamed as the portal closed slowly before
him. He ran forward not caring about the consequences. 'I can
make it... just a little closer...' He was about to fling himself into
the opening until a figure blurred in front of him, holding him
back.

"Ryoko!" He struggled against her as the girl held him back. "My
mother! Ryoko, I have to help her."

"No, Tenchi! It's too dangerous," Ryoko begged as tears formed in
her eyes mixing with the falling water from the broken sprinklers.
She had finally made it back from placing the transmitter only to
find she had been too late.

"Let me go, Ryoko! I have to save both of them!" Tenchi
continued to fight against her iron grip.

"They've already been sucked into subspace." Ryoko cried.

"Let me go! Let me go! Let me go!" Tenchi pleaded desperately.
"Mother!!!"

****----***---****

Ranma woke up. Her body was cold and sore. Looking around
she found herself alone in a barren wasteland of gray dust and
jagged rocks protruding from the ground.

"Achika!" Ranma called out over the desolate landscape. The last
thing she remembered was holding on to Achika, as they were both
pulled through the portal by Kain.

Her clothes were torn, ripped beyond repair. Fortunately Ranma
still had her shoulder bag, which survived the trip with her.
Opening it up, Ranma pulled out her thermos.

"Please let there be some left," she prayed. Shaking it she felt the
liquid slosh within. Crossing her fingers she unscrewed the cap
and poured the contents on herself. The water was still warm
enough and Ranma felt the tingling sensation of the
transformation.

Tossing the empty container aside, Ranma launched himself,
bounding across the landscape. "Achika! Achika!"

He came up a ridge overlooking a large crater. At the center of the
crater he saw Achika lying there. "No... Achika!!!" Ranma moved
sliding down the sides of the crater. He was at the girl's side soon
after.

"Achika..." She wasn't moving. As he reached out to touch her, a
dark form emerged from the girl's shadow and launched after him.
"What?!?" Only his honed reflexes saved him from being caught
as he leapt back from the surprise attack.

Ranma watched in horror as the dark form grew into a huge human
like shape. Held at the base of the body was Achika who was still
unconscious. At the head of the figure the ghostly white face of
Kain formed.

Around him an aura of yellow Ki flared. His muscles bulged as
the energy coursed through his body. "Let her go you monster!"
Ranma roared.

"This girl is mine. Her suffering will last an eternity. Yours will
be but a brief span of tortured agony. Consider yourself blessed."
The face just grinned at him and licked its lips. His arms stretched
out flying across the ground tearing up anything in their path.
Streams of living darkness shot out toward Ranma.

"Bastard!!!" Ranma charged in, zigzagging his way though the
streams of black. He ducked and dodged in between Kains arms,
his body twisting in an acrobatic style he had spent years
mastering. But even with his training, he still felt the bite of pain
as he took slight nicks and cuts from the near misses.

One such near miss caught him across the chest, barely managing
to twist his body out of the way. Had he been less conditioned it
would have been fatal. 'I guess those matches with the 'old man'
were paying off,' Ranma grimly mused. He prayed that it would
be enough.

As much as he tried he couldn't get close enough to Achika. His
punches and kicks did nothing to the liquid form of Kain, serving
only to bloody his hands and legs. Slowly he felt himself faltering.
His aura was also growing weaker as doubt and depression ate
away at his confidence and with each second that passed by,
Achika seemed to sink deeper into the black folds.

"Achika, wake up!" Ranma yelled at the trapped girl. Her body
was almost immersed in Kains dark form. Desperately he tried to
reach out to her. "Achika! You got ta wake up! Please!!!"

Achika's eyes fluttered and opened. "Ranma?" she said dazed.
Her mind snapped into focus as she realized where she was and the
danger that her friend faced. "Ranma! Look out!!!"

Ranma staggered as a strike grazed his leg. "Achika!!!" She was
still alive. Hope grew inside of him and once again his battle aura
flared. "Hold on Achika! Just hold on, I'm coming for you!!!"

Achika watched in terror as he headed straight for her, throwing
caution to the wind as he charged into Kain's waiting grasp. Then
at the last possible second Ranma jumped up into the air. The
ground that he was on a moment ago was shattered by Kain's fists.

In the air Ranma saw the opening he needed. The exposed face of
Kain looked at him in surprise. Ranma again called on his Ki as he
cupped his hands together. "Eat this you bastard!!! MOUKO
TAKABISHA!!!" A yellow ball of energy flew from his hands
and struck the white face, shattering it. A shudder passed though
the large body as the shockwave flowed downward.

"I did it..." Ranma said weakly as he landed to the ground. He
barely managed to keep upright, using one hand to steady his
landing.

"Ranma!!!" Achika screamed out.

He looked up hearing her voice. His eyes widened. "No..." The
face was there again, smiling at him.

Achika felt Kain's pain from Ranma final attack. As Ranma
landed to the ground she could see relief on his face. 'It's over...'
she thought, and then she felt the anger grow with Kain.
"Ranma!!!" She screamed out.

She watched in terror as Kain's hand flew out and clamped onto
the unprepared martial artist's face. It picked Ranma up and swung
him around like a rag doll. The arm moved and held the struggling
boy before her.

"Ranma..." Achika's eyes filled with tears as she saw the agony he
was in.

With an indifferent gesture, Kain tossed the boy into the air and let
him drop. Achika turned her face away wishing she could cover
her ears when the impact came. Her heart broke when she opened
her eyes again and saw the mangled form lying lifeless on the
ground.

"Ranma! Ranma!!!" She struggled against the dark folds holding
her. She didn't care how she did it, but all she wanted was to go to
his side. She felt the power inside of her again. Using it she
forced her way free and ran towards the pigtailed boy.

She reached Ranma's side and paused. 'He's not breathing!'
"Ranma!" She clutched at him frantically. When she touched him
a shock passed though her arm to his body. The result was Ranma
instantly gasping for a breath.

"Ranma..." Achika held on to him gently. She could feel her hands
tingling where she touched him.

"What... what are you doing Achika..." Ranma asked weakly. He
felt the pain in his body subside.

Achika couldn't answer. She didn't understand it herself. "Shhh...
It will be over soon," She said softly. Slowly getting up she faced
Kain. She felt it now, the power she had. Her father had hinted
about it, the legacy of the Masaki family.

"Achika..." Ranma said in a broken voice. He tried to get up but
his body wouldn't move.

"I'll never forgive you for what you've done." Achika said to Kain.
She stepped forward and undid the ribbon holding her hair. The
black tresses shimmered and turned silver gray. On her face
Juraian war marks appeared, and her clothes were torn away
replaced by flowing pastel robes. The power washed over her as
the transformation completed itself.

A door was opened in her mind and memories that weren't her own
came pouring through. "Tenchi..." The boy in the tower who had
faced Kain. "My son..." She could see what he was doing now. He
was searching for her. Looking though the countless dimensions.

****----***----****

"Washu!" Tenchi yelled. With the help of Washu's device he had
sought out the astral pattern of his mother. "I've found her! Can
you open up the portal?"

"I'm trying Tenchi! Keep concentrating on you mother until I can
get a lock in sub-space."

"Mother, please hang on." Tenchi said.

****---***----****

Tenchi her son had come through time to save her. "No, I won't let
you risk your life for me," she said. "I won't let you harm my son,
Kain!" Achika faced the monster.

Kain acted first, fire spouting from his mouth threatening to
incinerate her and Ranam. Achika stood unwavering against the
flames. When the fire reached her it met a shield of Jurai energy.

"Come, show me the power of Jurai," Kain intoned. Again he
attacked his fists battering against the shield Achika held. The
pummeling was relentless and the girl struggled against the
onslaught.

"Get back!" yelled Achika. She motioned with her arm and her
shield expanded pushing Kain back. Achika wavered from the act.

>From where he lay, Ranma felt the massive release of energy.
Achika's metamorphosis and the power she displayed awed him.
But in the same glance he saw that Tsunami was right about
Achika not being prepared. Achika's attacks while powerful,
lacked focus. She wasted too much energy with each blow. It
became a stalemate with Achika forced to the defensive while Kain
struggled to break through her shields. Ranma saw Achika slowly
weakening. "Achika..."

Growing frustrated Kain roared and a hole opened within his body.
"If I can't destroy you I'll absorb you!!!" With that a vortex
swirled pulling Achika toward him.

Achika used her declining power to hold firm. From the corner of
her eye she saw Ranma on the ground threatening to be taken in.
"Ranma!" She grabbed his hand before he could be dragged any
farther. Again she felt the shock and tingling sensation when she
touched him. She drew him closer and held on tight. Slowly the
two were pulled in.

In her mind she heard a voice. 'Achika?'

'Ranma!' she felt him in her mind.

'How can this be,' Ranma wondered.

'I don't know but I'm scared, Ranma. I don't know what to do
anymore.'

Ranma also didn't know. To fight anymore seemed useless. Even
with his training he was nothing more than nuisance to Kain. And
Achika lacked the skill to properly focus her reserves of energy. In
the darkness of the moment he recalled Tsunami's words to him.
'You are the instrument in stopping what is to come.' All became
clear to him.

'Achika if we work together we can stop him.' Ranma said.

'How?'

'Lend me your power Achika.'

'I don't know how to...'

'Your doing it now, I can feel it. I wouldn't be alive right now if it
weren't for you.'

Achika focused on his words. 'He's right.' The bond they had now
was from the energy mixing between them. She concentrated. In
her mind Ranma's face appeared. Blue eyes stared back at her with
a quite smile. Memories surfaced, the walks they took together at
the shrine, the laughs they shared. She felt what was in her heart.
'Ranma...'

Ranma gasped as the surge of power hit him. Strength flowed
through his limbs again and around him his yellow aura glowed
but this time its edges were laced with deep blue.

His senses came back to him and with an inhuman leap he pulled
himself and Achika away from the vortex Kain held.

They landed dozens of yards away. He let Achika stand on her
own. He could see the energy flowing from her into him. 'Are you
all right?' he asked.

Achika nodded and smiled. 'Yes. Face him Ranma, I will be with
you.' She shut her eyes and concentrated on the link between
them.

Ranma felt the intensity of power entering him. It was as Tsunami
had told him. He had become an instrument for Achika's energy.
Like a lens used to focus the Sun's light, he was able to manipulate
the Jurai energy like his Ki and concentrate its intensity. He had
become Achika's weapon. The skill and mastery were his, but the
power behind it all came from her, and he would die before he let
Kain touch her again.

Kain was enraged at being denied his prize. "I will have her
blood!!!" He screamed lashing out.

The glow around Ranma became even brighter, the mixture of Ki
and Jurai energy crackled in the air. "I'll drag you to hell with me
first!" Ranma charged in his fists blazing with blue light.
Whatever he punched burned. He hacked away at Kain's arms
drawing blood with each blow.

Kain countered using his icy breath and energy attacks. The
ground was shredded, turned into a crater filled battle zone.
Ranma was forced to fall back from the barrage.

'Achika, I need more power,' he said with his mind.

Achika's jaw clenched in the effort. 'I'll try Ranma.'

Ranma shuddered from the link. His body felt like it was on fire.
The energy being forced into him was trying to escape. It was only
by shear will that he was able to keep himself moving.

'Ranma!' Achika felt the resistance in the link.

Ranma realized now how Tsunami had prepared him for this. The
countless hours he has spent focusing his Ki in trying to find the
secret of the Masaki holy tree was in preparation for this battle.
'I'm fine Achika. Don't worry.'

Ranma attacked again, his movements becoming nothing more
than a blur. A normal human body would have destroyed itself by
now, muscle tearing from the bone from the intensity of the
movements. The only thing that kept him from flying apart was
Achika using her strength to reinforce the failing flesh.

Kain struggled against the ferocity of Ranma's attacks. In the span
of a second, hundreds of wounds were torn into Kain's body. But
still Kain battled on his strikes growing more desperate.

As he fought Ranma could feel the Jurai energy eating away at
him. He was saturated with it. Every pore of his body seeped with
the blue light. But he knew that it still wasn't enough. He leapt
back from Kain and readied himself. 'Achika help me.'

'Ranma you can't take any more!' Achika begged.

'Please...' Ranma closed his eyes and concentrated.

'No!' she realized what he was doing.

He began. "MOUKO..."

'You can't, its too much!'

"TAKA..."

'Don't make me do this to you...'

"BISHA..."

"Ranma...' tears came to her face as she funneled energy into him
once more.

Ranma's eyes opened. But instead of his eyes were two pools of
swirling blue. His voice was a whisper. "PERFECT..."

A column of yellow Ki erupted from his hands. Around it spiraled
the Jurai energy focused in a tight beam. The blast tore into Kain
and a brilliant flash of light filled the sky.

****----***----****

When the light cleared there was nothing left of Kain.

"Ranma, we did it!" Achika said. "Ranma?"

He stood there saying nothing. Like a puppet with its strings cut
Ranma wavered slightly and fell to the ground.

"Ranma!!!" She went to him and felt his pulse. It was there but
weak. His breath was also shallow. "Please don't leave me." She
placed her head on his chest and closed her eyes letting the
darkness take her.

A drop of water touched her face. Then another one came
followed by many more. Water rained down over the two. It was
enough to trigger Ranma's curse. The water came from the portal
that had opened up above them. Three figures emerged from it.

"Mother!" Tenchi said landing next to Achika. Flanking him were
Ayeka and Ryoko. All of them were dressed for battle.

Ayeka quickly checked the fallen girl then tended to the redhead.
"It's all right Tenchi. They're both extremely tired. They need
rest."

"Where's Kain?" Ryoko asked looking around cautiously.

Tenchi also scanned the area, his sword glowing ready for
anything. "Washu-chan, do you pick up anything?" he asked.

>From her terminal the super genius looked at the incoming data on
the screens. "Nothing Tenchi, Kain's astral pattern is a negative.
All I'm picking up are residual traces of him and a mixture of Jurai
energy."

Ayeka's eyes widened. "That means that Achika-sama must have
defeated him."

"It seems like it but from my previous calculations that should
have been impossible."

"What about Ranko? Maybe she had something to do with it."
Ryoko suggested.

"What? A mere human? That's very doubtful. If I had more
information I could run more tests," Washu said frustrated. She
hated it when she didn't have the answers.

"We don't have time for this," Tenchi interrupted. "Let's go
home," he said.

Ayeka picked up Ranma while Ryoko helped Achika and Tenchi.
The group made their way back up through the portal and found
themselves returned to the wrecked observatory. The water had
come from the broken sprinklers.

They made their way down the tower and met up with Kiyone, and
Mihoshi. Sasami was there also, looking after Nobuyuki.

"We better get out of here," Ryoko said. In the distance sirens
were heard. Police and rescue vehicles were coming to the scene.
"Ayeka do you have it?"

Ayeka nodded and pulled out a small box. There were three small
metallic triangles inside. She placed one on the foreheads of
Achika, Ranma and Nobuyuki.

"So they won't remember a thing?" Tenchi asked.

"Yes, it's best that way," Ayeka said finishing.

"It's time to go," Ryoko said.

Tenchi nodded and looked at the sleeping form of Achika. "Sleep
well mother." he said softly.

Before he vanished he heard her say something in her sleep.

"Tenchi..." she said.

****----***----****

Achika woke up finding, herself lying in a bed that wasn't her own.
Katsuhito walked in carrying a cup of tea.

"Ah... you're awake. You've been a sleep for a day now." a look of
relief was on his face.

"Where are we?" She looked around the room.

"We are at Tokyo General hospital. What was the last thing you
remember Achika-chan?" he asked.

"I was with my class... We were at Tokyo tower and... I can't
remember anything else. What happened father?"

"They say that the tower was struck by lightning. An explosion
occurred and several people were injured as a result."

"Father, where's Ranma?"

A pause, "Come with me," he finally said.

***--**--***

"No..." Achika saw the redhead lying in bed with machines hooked
up to her. The beep of the heart monitor was heard.

The doctor was with them.

"I'm sorry Masaki-san. There's nothing we can do. Her body is
deteriorating at a rapid rate. We're running tests but so far we
haven't yet isolated the cause. It's only a matter of time before her
body shuts down completely, maybe three days at the most. I'm
afraid that only a miracle can save her now."

"Father..." Achika began tears welled up in her eyes.

Katsuhito nodded understanding.

***--**--***

Achika prayed. There was nothing left she could do. Her father
and her had taken Ranma home. The doctors didn't protest. They
couldn't do anything.

"Only a miracle can save her now," was what one of them had
said.

"If that's what it takes then." Achika told the man.

She kneeled facing the Holy tree. "To anyone who can hear me.
My friend needs your help. He's dying and I know of no other way
to cure him. He good person with a kind heart. Please, I love
him." She said quietly. Her face was wet with tears.

Katsuhito looked sadly at his daughter's grief. It had been difficult
for Achika when her mother died, and now she had to deal with
this. He looked at Ranma's body lying next to them. With a
worried expression he wondered, 'Tsunami, are you listening?'

***--**--***

Ranma gazed out over the tranquil waters. He knew where he was
but how he got there he couldn't remember. He felt a touch on his
shoulder.

"Tsunami," he addressed the woman. "What am I doing here?"

"Remember," she said and touched his forehead.

Images flashed through his mind. The class trip, Tokyo tower and,
"Kain!" Ranma said. "He's gone isn't he?"

"Yes. You and Achika were able to stop him."

"Then why am I here? I don't remember coming here." His brows
knitted.

"Look," she said pointing to the waters below.

Ranma saw his reflection, the redhead stared back at him. It
blurred and another image appeared. It was of Achika and her
father kneeling before the Sacred Tree. Beside them he saw his
body wrapped in a blanked between the two.

"Achika... Tsunami, what's happening?" Ranma started to panic.

"You're dying Ranma. The human body has no defenses against
the anti-Jurai energy that Kain used. His essence somehow
contaminated you when you fought. It's slowly killing you from
within."

Ranma nodded remembering the cuts and scrapes he received.
What about Achika, is she all right?

Yes, her body can withstand Kain's corruption.

Relief washed over him. "At least she's safe now."

"Do you have any regrets? she asked.

A pause, He looked Tsunami in the eye. "No, I'd give my life for
her again if I had to."

"You love her then?" she asked.

"Yes."

Tsunami smiled. She held out her hand. There was what looked
like a small pebble floating above it.

"What is that?" Ranma looked at the object curiously.

"A seed, the symbol of new life."

"New life?"

"Accept it and it will save you, but you will be changed."

"Changed?"

"There is too little of you body left functioning to repair. What can
be saved will be saved but the rest must be rebuilt entirely. With
out this you will die."

"I don't have much of choice then do I?" he said wryly.

"I'm sorry, Ranma," she said sadly. "It is the only way."

"I accept then."

Tsunami nodded. She placed it upon his chest. It passed through
his skin and entered his body. The blue glow could be seen from
the point on his chest.

"What's happening to me?" Ranma asked frightened. He watched
as lines grew out from the seed and made their way out through his
entire body. He realized that they were roots. The seed was
growing inside of him.

"Do not be afraid Ranma. It is mending your body. Rest now and
accept." She spoke in a soothing voice quelling his doubts.

Ranma relaxed letting go of the last of his fears.

***--**--***

"Ranma," the voice said. "Ranma, can you hear me?"

Ranma opened his eyes and saw the most beautiful face he had
ever seen. "Am I in heaven?" he asked. "Are you an angel?"

"Ranma!" she held him tightly and buried her face on his chest
sobbing.

"Achika-chan?"

"I though I lost you," she cried.

"Never," he said. He held her chin up and gently brushed the loose
strands of hair away from her wet face. "I'll never leave you.
Achika-chan I... I love you."

She looked into his deep blue eyes. "I love you too," she said and
kissed him passionately on the lips. Their kiss deepened and the
rest of the world faded away.

"Ahem," Katsuhito said clearing his throat.

Masaki-sensi! Ranma blurted realizing the other man's presence.

"Father!" Achiak said her face becoming beat red, having been
caught up in the moment.

The two pulled away from each other hastily with sheepish
expressions on their faces.

"Achika-chan, why don't you help Ranma back to the house? I'm
sure that he could use some more rest. Right Ranma?" he said
narrowing his eyes at the two.

Ranma swallowed. "Y-yes, sensi."

Achika also nodded as she helped Ranma up.

Katsuhito watched them go and chuckled to himself. He faced the
Holy tree and bowed beeply. "Thank you Tsunami," he said
gratefully.

"No thanks are required lord Yosho." An image of the woman
appeared from the tree. She smiled. "The boy is remarkable, you
trained him well."

"What did you do to him?" Yosho the crown prince of Jurai asked.
"I can feel the Jurai energy coming from him now."

"The only way I could save him was to graft a seed of a Jurai tree
into him."

"Then the seed you used..."

"Yes, it was to be Achika's tree, just as Funaho is you tree." She
patted the bark fondly. "You know as well as I that a seed will not
grow on Earth. And without her own tree to sustain her, Achika
would only live as long as a normal human."

"So Ranma is now..." Yosho was shaken by the revelation. 'A tree
of Jurai that isn't...'

"As I said, the boy is remarkable. Watch over both of them Lord
Yosho. You'll have to tell them the truth soon. Ranma already
knows some but Achika must learn of her true heritage. I leave the
rest to you."

"One more thing Tsunami," Yosho asked.

"Yes?"

"About Ranma's special problem?"

Tsunami laughed. "He'll find out soon enough." As she
disappeared it began to rain.

Yosho chuckled as he walked home.

***--**--***

As the first drop of water hit him, Ranma groaned. Achika
smirked at his usual reaction. Ranma felt more drops and braced
himself for the inevitable change. Nothing happened.

"Ranma..." Achika said softly her eyes were smiling.

He looked at her and saw that she was getting soaked. He looked
at himself and saw the same. "I'm still a guy..." he said
unbelieving. "I'm still a guy!"

"I'm happy for you Ranma!" Achika said.

He picked her up and hugged her tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too."

****----***----****

The Future.

"We're back!" Sasami happily shouted as the group reappeared in
the room. It was as how they left it. Ayeka's bowl of crackers was
on the table, the box of pictures was on the floor and the movie
was running.

"Is everyone all right?" Tenchi asked.

"It worked!" Ryoko said looking at film. Achika was there again
walking through he woods, with her was Ranko.

"Yes, everything is back to normal," Ayeka agreed.

"Tenchi, lets celebrate," Ryoko said in a husky voice. She snaked
under his arm and started rubbing his chest.

Tenchi felt a nosebleed coming.

"Have you no decency?" Ayeka growled.

"Oh, what are you going to do about it little Miss proper?" Ryoko
stuck her tongue out at her.

"Ah... Ayeka, Ryoko?" Tenchi saw the wooden blocks appear
around the princess and Ryoko's light sword flashed into existence.

Before the battle started the front door opened. "Mom! Dad!"
Tenchi said. Instantly the two girls jumped apart from each other
and greeted the couple.

"We're home!" Achika said. Behind her Ranma followed carrying
a bag of groceries. She walked up and gave Tenchi a peck on the
cheek. She winked at him.

"Welcome home Achika-sama," Ayeka said in her demure manner.

"Did you have fun shopping, auntie?" Ryoko asked sweetly.

Tenchi grew a sweatdrop seeing the sudden change in the two.
The girls tried to out do each other in sweetness toward the elder
woman.

"Every thing was just fine girls." Achika said. "I'm glad to see
that you're getting along well together. It's good that you're not
fighting anymore."

Ayeka and Ryoko looked at each other nervously.

Tenchi smiled at his mother gratefully. She was a beautiful
woman and though she was in her early forties she looked like she
was in her late twenties. In her eyes he could see the years of
wisdom within.

With just a few subtle hints she could diffuse the arguments that
Ryoko and Ayeka always got into. He hated to think what his life
would be like if his mother wasn't there.

Ranma set the bags on the table. "How was your night Tenchi?"

"It was interesting dad..." Tenchi said to the older man. His father
was also in his early forties with a few streaks of gray in his
pigtail, which reached down the length of his back.

His father looked at him curiously and laughed. "You can tell me
about it later." He tussled Tenchi's hair playfully.

Tenchi loved his father's easygoing manner in things. He could
easily talk to his father when he wanted and Ranma would
patiently listen giving advice whenever he could.

Tenchi couldn't believe how close he had come to losing his
family. What would he do with out them? He wondered.

"Tenchi, is everything all right?" Achika asked.

"Yeah mom, everything's great!" Tenchi said.

The End

To be continued in:
Father of the Prince

Story Notes:
First rule of Love in Anime. Love comes in the shape of a
triangle or more complicated geometric shapes.

If you haven't noticed, this story is set in the Tenchi
Muyo in Love story line. I think I'm following it fairly
well. If you haven't seen the movie, it shouldn't matter.

If you have seen the movie you might be wonder about the
Operative. He's there in the background but I didn't see
the need to write him in.

Ranma a Jurai Tree you ask? Well, I think it could work.
It's an excuse to make Ranma more powerful and it keeps
Achika alive. Cures his curse to boot!

I'm not really sure where else to take this. I'm open to
any suggestions.

Author Notes:

Well, that's all folks. I am tired. It seems that each
chapter is getting longer and longer. I really hope it's
worth it. I'm not boring anyone am I? If I am, please let
me know.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support. It's readers
like you that made this possible. If you have any comments
please send your messages to both the e-mail address below.
I'm in the process of moving and my address will soon
change.

I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in pre-
reading my works. Also, I'm getting a web page soon. Since
I cant draw I was wondering
If anyone out there would mind doing some fan-art and send
me a picture Of Ranma and Achika together.

Send all mail to the address below. For the subject please
put:

Ranma|Tenchi

cr...@alum.rpi.edu