[Ranma][XOVER][Tales from the Darkside] Akane Remembered

drew

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Akane Remembered

an original crossover fanfic by
Andrew Eoff

Author's introductory notes: All character's created by Rumiko
Takahashi. I claim no creative rights to them at all. The story is mine,
but the people and places aren't. This story is a mix between Ranma 1/2
and the old TV show Tales From the Darkside. I decided there weren't
enough dark comedy stories, and I hope this one roughly fits the bill.
Any of you who read my last story will notice a distinct difference. It's
not that I've given up on the romantic side of the story- there will be
some of that here- it'll just take a darker shape. This isn't intended to
be a darkfic- any of you who've seen Tales should know the kind of
atmosphere I'm going for. If it doesn't quite work blame me. Anyway,
don't say I didn't warn you. And try to enjoy the light.
***

[voice over] Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be
reality. But, there is, unseen by most, a place that is just as real,
though not as brightly lit. A Darkside.
[intro courtesy of Tales From the Darkside- created by, well, whoever.]
---

Beach. Miles of it stretch on and on. In the distance we see a figure
laid out on the sand. It looks as if a girl has washed up on the beach.
As we draw closer we see the girl is Ranma-chan. She looks as if she'd
just swum from Japan to China-which, in fact, she has. As the scene rests
on the female Ranma we see her slowly raise her head and cough. There is
a strange glint in her eye as she whispers to herself...
"China. I finally made it. This was a lot easier in my male form, but
at least this time I made it quicker." A strange smile plays across her
lips. "Don't worry Akane, soon we'll be together and things will be like
they used to."
As Ranma-chan starts to lose herself in her thoughts we are treated to
a series of flashbacks. It starts with what appears to be an ordinary
day. Ranma and Akane are walking to school. They walk next to each
other, laughing. For once, they are getting along. Ranma reaches out to
take Akane's hand. He looks down at the ring on her wedding finger. It
is silver and in the shape of a rose. [A blatant plug for you to read my
last story You Say It's Her Birthday] He smiles as memories of that
escapade flash through his mind. A cloud briefly passes over the sun
causing a shadow to rest upon Akane momentarily. They both look up to see
nothing but a bird in the sky. Suddenly wind rustles leaves and Akane's
hair.
As Akane shudders, we see the scene shift again. It is now night.
Ranma and Akane are returning from somewhere. Quite probably a date.
Still holding hands, they hurry home. The scene lingers on empty street.
The next scene is a cemetery. Again, we draw closer to a group of people
around an open grave. There is no sound. Only wind rustling whatever it
comes in contact with. We are never close enough to make out who the
people are.
The next scene shows a man standing in front of a headstone. We now
come closer and realize it is Ranma. As he looks down at the stone, our
view slowly focuses on the stone. We are finally able to read the name on
the stone: Tendo Akane.
***

It had only been a day since Akane had died. Ranma was in the dojo-
his favorite place to sit and gather his thoughts. Only this time his
thoughts were having none of it. They refused to be gathered. He was
sitting on the floor, hands around his knees, slowly rocking. He couldn't
believe what had just happened. She had been so healthy. Alive one
minute and... He shook his head trying not to think about what had
happened. Rest assured, it had not been pretty, but then little
concerning Akane ever was. A grimace found its way to Ranma's face. He
couldn't believe how long he had deluded himself into thinking that she
was uncute, that she didn't mean anything to him. What hurt the worst was
the fact that they'd had so little time _together_. They'd only begun to
explore what life could be like as a couple.
Now that chance was gone. Slowly a tear eased its way down Ranma's
face. He couldn't believe she had left him like that. What had she been
thinking? Didn't she know how much she meant to him? Stupid tomboy! he
silently raged. The one thought he couldn't dismiss was a nagging little
doubt that there had to be a way to bring her back. There simply had to.
His life had been so strange that the possibility it couldn't be done
never crossed his mind. Which was fine, it could be. What he failed to
consider was whether or not it should be.
---

It is now a month later and we again see the younger male Saotome.
Only, he doesn't look so young now. There is also something else about
his mannerisms that is different. While he still carries himself very
much as a martial artist, there is a reckless edge to it, a glint in the
eye and a slight menace to his step. When we finally get a closeup of his
face, we see that the pride and humor that once resided there are gone.
Something sinister has taken over. Something that hints at madness.
"So close." Ranma whispers to himself. "I'm so close. Soon Akane, I
will be ready to bring you back." As we watch him walk down the street,
we are suddenly treated to more flashbacks. A series of shots which show
Ranma looking for ways to revive his former love. In one scene we see
Ranma address a letter to Miskatonic University. Another shows Ranma
poring over some ancient text, which looks to be bound in some strange
leather-like substance, a fiendish face on the cover. While this series
plays on, it becomes quickly apparent that Ranma is no longer with the
Tendo family. He also appears to be without Genma. The people he once
held so dear are no longer around him.
His sudden obsession with ways to revive Akane forced him to become an
outcast. While grief was understood, the mania that entered Ranma was
looked on at first with pity and then with horror. Deciding they simply
didn't understand, Ranma silently left one night, vowing not to return
until Akane was with him. But his search had been so fruitless. The lack
of success continues to drain the sanity and the life from him. One
night, as he clears away the books in front of him, he prepares to go to
sleep.
At first it is reluctant to come, but soon he succumbs to its embrace.
While he sleeps, he begins to dream. In it Akane stands before him. She
has a pained expression on her face. Ranma assumes it is because he
hasn't found a way to bring her back yet. He tries to tell her that he's
making some progress, but it's so hard. He wishes she could help.
Suddenly Akane changes into another woman. Not recognizing her at first,
Ranma suddenly realizes it's the woman that had kidnapped Akane when he'd
gone to the Jusendou. Then Akane reappears, only this time she doesn't
look at all good, in fact she slowly falls to the ground, once again
dying. "Noooo!" Ranma screams, waking himself. As he breathes heavily
from the effects of the nightmare, part of it comes back to him. Akane,
and the woman she changed into. A thought suddenly crosses his mind, and
he begins to smile. As he goes into the next room he begins looking for
Akane's diary- one of the few things he took with him when he left.
Finding it, he begins searching its contents. When he finally comes to
the part he's looking for, his smile becomes a giggle, then a laugh.
"I've done it! I know how I can bring Akane back!" he yells, the echo
resounding.
***

The past month had not gone well for the Saotomes except for one
aspect. Genma and Nodoka were now back together. The combined grief of
Akane's death and Ranma's emotional trauma, coupled with his
disappearance, caused them to grow closer to each other. Needing someone
for emotional support, they turned to the past and their love for each
other slowly rekindled. It had not been easy for them to accept Ranma's
disappearance and they had done all they could to find him. But he had
hidden himself well. They were slowly running out of options.
"Nodoka, don't worry. I'm sure he's ok. I raised him to be able to
defend himself. Unfortunately, most of my training was physical. I was
unable to teach him to defend himself emotionally. I wasn't able to
prepare him for this untimely death." Genma lamented.
Nodoka, walking over to Genma and placing her arms around him replied,
"Do not blame yourself husband. You did the best with what you had.
Ranma did grow to be a man among men, but this trauma has caused him
considerable pain. I am sure that he will return to his senses soon
though."
Neither was aware that they were quite wrong. They had been able to
comfort themselves by comforting the Tendos. They still continued to
visit them regularly. It also helped to speed up the flow of
information. If anyone heard anything, they were sure to pass it on.
---

As for the Tendo family, they had been hit the hardest of all. Akane
had meant quite a bit to the family and Ranma had also worked his way into
their hearts. The sudden quiet that settled upon the house was a burden
to all of them. They hadn't realized what silence was, or how painful it
could be until this tragedy occurred. Nabiki had tried to find Ranma
using the many sources that money was able to purchase, but no results
were to be had. He had simply vanished. They remembered the day he left.
Ranma had slowly been changing. No longer the proud, determined young
man they all knew, he had become quiet and introspective. They knew of
his desire to return Akane to life, but they thought of it as a phase,
part of the grieving process. They hadn't kept check on it and it began
to transform. Slowly as they realized mania setting in they tried to stop
him, to comfort him. Their attempts had not gone well and fights had
broken out. Ranma had been unusually quiet at dinner and then the next
morning he had been gone. There had been no note of explanation, simply a
statement that he would return with Akane. That had been the most
frightening part.
Tendo san had shed many tears the previous weeks, but they were nothing
compared to the rivers that now flowed freely from his eyes. Kasumi did
the best she could, but the combined stress taxed even her ability to
weather any storm.
---

Ranma's remaining fiancees also had a rough time. While always
competing with Akane for Ranma's affections none of them had truly wished
her any harm. Her death had shocked them all. It was only then that they
saw the true depth of Ranma's feelings for his iinazuke. The pain they
saw etched in his own face and heart merely deepened their own. His
disappearance caused even more pain. Shampoo tried to lose herself in the
day to day grind of the Cat Cafe. Ukyou once again concentrated on
becoming the perfect okonomiyaki chef, and Kodachi lost a few more shreds
of her rapidly receding sanity. Yes, this time was a trial for all, but
they were unaware of the trials that lay in the very near future.
***

Once again we see Ranma-chan. We are now with her in China. It
appears she has been hiking for days, and for some strange reason, she has
a monkey with her. Ranma-chan begins talking to the monkey. "I can't
believe I didn't think of it before. It's so obvious. Good thing Akane
drew that little map in her diary. I should be able to find it easily,
and then you, my little friend, will help me to bring Akane back." Once
again, that strange smile settled on Ranma-chan's face.
It is at this point that things begin to look familiar. Up in the
distance a valley comes into view. The valley is filled with fog, many
small pools of water, and bamboo. Jusenkyou. As it comes into sight,
Ranma-chan gives a small, involuntary shudder, but continues to smile as
she stops briefly to get her bearings. As she looks around a small figure
comes hopping into view. At the sound of something moving, Ranma looks up
to see Cologne heading towards him.
"Muko dono! What do you think you are doing here. Especially with
that animal?" Cologne asks.
"Well, well, if it isn't the old ghoul. Long time no see Cologne. I
and my small friend are here to bring Akane back to life. She, well..."
unable to finish the comment Ranma-chan looks down at Cologne. "What are
you doing here?" she asks with a slight edge to her voice.
"I had a dream of your return. It was rather unsettling. I came to
stop you from trying anything foolish. I realize your iinazuke is dead,
but do not attempt what you came to do. It will only result in further
madness and death." Cologne stated, trying to gauge Ranma's own mental
state.
"Stop me huh? I shoulda known. Well, you're not gonna be able to stop
me. I've come too far and lost too much to be stopped. Even by you. I
think you'll find that if you try and stop me, you'll wish you hadn't"
Ranma-chan replied, the edge in her voice turning ugly. It was as Cologne
had feared, the person she hoped would one day wed her great-granddaughter
was no more. Madness had settled in and Ranma-chan was embarking upon a
task that would indeed have dire consequences.
Cologne shifted position, trying to lull the female Ranma into a false
sense of security, before starting her attack. However, Ranma-chan was
prepared for it. The battle was remarkably short. Cologne had
underestimated the speed with which the girl Ranma could move and the
strength that would be hers due to her madness. Ranma-chan looked down
upon the body of the now dead Cologne and continued to smile. I warned ya
you old ghoul. Now there should be nothing in my way. And with that,
Ranma-chan once again began walking towards her destination.
---

Ranma, now in male form, looked down at the pool. This was what would
cure the wound in his heart. The Akane-niichuan. Created by that
henchman of Saffron's. He remembered when she had appeared to him,
pretending to be Akane. He smiled, thinking how he'd soon be reunited
with his love. That was the reason he'd brought the monkey. He felt that
if it worked for the Musk Dynasty, it'd work for him. Of course, he
hadn't been thinking very clearly for quite a while now. As he threw the
monkey into the pool and waited for Akane to surface, his mind began to
envision life with Akane once more.
Shortly the Akane-niichuan had done its work. The monkey came up
looking like Akane. Covering up his naked iinazuke, Ranma's heart began
to soar. It had worked! "Akane! You came back to me. I knew I could do
it. How do you feel?" It was at this point that Ranma began to study his
newly reborn iinazuke.
While the monkey did indeed look like Akane, there was a blank stare
etched on her face. Slowly, a nagging feeling enveloped Ranma. Something
was definitely wrong. Then Akane began hopping up and down. She started
making small eep-ing noises. Ranma realized what the small nagging
feeling was. Akane wasn't here. Her body might be in front of him, but
her mind was not. To test his theory, he held out a banana to Akane.
Akane's eyes lighted up at that and she grabbed the banana and happily
began eating. Much as any monkey would.
Ranma could not hide the pain from his face. Tears began rolling down
his cheeks as he realized he had failed. Deciding that Akane couldn't be
seen like this, he quickly killed her. As he stared down at the body of
his once again deceased iinazuke, memories started racing through his mind
and depression once again enveloped him. Only this time, he realized that
he had killed her. He, Ranma Saotome, Akane's protector, had killed the
woman he loved. Slowly, everything went black.
***

Beach. Sand stretches to the horizon as once again we see a figure on
the ground. Ranma-chan lay on her homeland of Japan, letting the surf
wash over her. It has been a week since we saw him last, fainting over
the body of the dead Akane. The week has not been kind to Ranma. He has
had several nightmares, most of Akane and her death. Sometimes it was her
actual death, sometimes it was the one Ranma administered. Once, he
watched her die, only to have her come back, upon which he immediately
found himself strangling her, to make sure she stayed dead. Any remnants
of his true personality had been wiped from his mind as he was now a thing
obsessed. He had to bring her back and it had to work right.
Fortunately, for him, he had come up with a plan. After he had woken
up, he thought back to his last train of thought. He was indeed Ranma
Saotome. That thought brought to mind all the things people thought of
when they thought of him. Usually there were about three. His skill at
martial arts, his curse, and the most important one in this situation: his
fiancees. He had a habit of being able to procure a fiancee at the drop
of a hat. For once, that might work to his advantage. Realizing his
mistake with the animal attempt, he reasoned that a human Akane would work
much better. He had even thought of a way to ensure that they'd
cooperate.

end of 1 eo...@itsnet.com
2 follows
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 16:41:06 -0800 (PST)