[Ranma][Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ukyou: As You Like It - Episode 1

Ranma Saotome

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

I'm watching through the looking glass
At a girl I thought I once knew
But beneath the mellow tears
Not everything is clear
And I just don't know her anymore

Imagine the surprise
Reflected in her eyes

Generations pass and the child walks alone
I took for granted a love I could call my own
But I don't need anyone anymore
People have come and gone
But I have the strength to carry on
I have evened the score

The awakening has passed on.

| Daigakusei no Ukyou: As You Like It |
| |
| Created by David Tai, Paul Gallegos, |
| Jeffrey Paul Hosmer and John Walter Biles |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |

-= Episode 1: "Awakenings: Ukyou and the Moon-Child" =-

[Early morning, Ukyou and Makiko's bedroom. Ukyou is sleeping comfortably in
her bed. In contrast, Makiko is sprawled all over her bed, her bedsheets
kicked around all over the place. The alarm rings. Ukyou awakens with a start,
and is about to reach over and turn it off, when Makiko, head buried in
pillow, reaches over, grabs the alarm, and throws it at the wall. Makiko then
buries herself deeper into the pillow, as Ukyou blinks sleepily.]

Ukyou: [muttering] If she broke my alarm again... I'm going to throw her
computer out the window.

Makiko: [muffled] Do that, and you die.

Ukyou: [throwing pillow at Makiko] Get up, sleepyhead!

Makiko: Go 'way. [turns over and pulls blanket over her head.]

[Chuckling, Ukyou gets up, and goes into the bathroom. Shortly, Ukyou comes
back, with a towel wrapped around her body, and drying her hair with another
towel. She gives a mischievous grin, twists her drying towel, and whips Makiko
with it.]

Makiko: [muffled] HEY! [Ukyou whips her some more, forcing Makiko to jump out
of bed.] Why you... [tackles Ukyou]

[Giggling, Ukyou allows Makiko to bap her several times, before she pushes
Makiko into the bathroom.]

Ukyou: [laughing] Go take a shower! [closes door]

[Ukyou gets dressed, then sighs as she looks once at the pile of dirty clothes
in the corner.]

Ukyou: [shouting] Maki-chan, when're you going to clean up this mess?

[No answer. Ukyou groans, looks again at the pile, and leaves it. She makes her
bed, then walks over to the bathroom and knocks on the door.]

Ukyou: Maki-chan?

[She tries the doorknob, finds the door unlocked, and opens it, to find Makiko
curled up on the floor sleeping.]

Ukyou: Great.

* * *

[Afternoon. Ukyou, Junko, and Makiko are walking together on the Mizunoikan
campus.]

Makiko: ... and Shirow-san just bought you a rose for your anniversary?

Junko: Hai! I'm surprised he remembered our three-month anniversary!

Makiko: That's so romantic!

Junko: And what about you, Maki-chan? Anybody interesting? [looking covertly
at Ukyou] I'd heard about you taking up with an upperclassman...

Makiko: Nani? [blushes] No, Tanaka-kun is only a friend!

Ukyou: [grins] Sadly for her, that's true. Tanaka-san hasn't shown too much
interest in her. Then again, it's hard to be interested if _she's_
going to keep insisting they're _just_ friends...

[Makiko drives an elbow into Ukyou's side.]

Junko: [laughs] Too bad she's interested in such a jerk.

Makiko: He's NOT a jerk! [blinks] And I'm NOT interested either!

Ukyou: Sure... deny it all you want. But remember... I KNOW the truth!

Makiko: What?

Ukyou: [imitating Makiko] "Loverboy Lard-kun!" [giggles]

Makiko: Hey!!! Wha-?!

[Junko grins at Ukyou as Makiko fumes. Junko then notices something over
Ukyou's shoulder.]

Junko: Hey, who's that?

[Ukyou turns around to see Ichiro Sato, surrounded by a bevy of beauties.]

Ukyou: [slapping her hand to her forehead] Oh no.

Junko: [shaking head at sight of girls] Will you look at that?

Makiko: [eyes sparkling, hands clasped together to her chin] Wow. What a hunk.

Junko: Get a hold of yourself, Makiko.

Ukyou: I hope he's not looking for me.

[Spying Ukyou, Sato starts walking towards her. The mob of girls surround him,
but Sato tries to keep walking through the crowd. The crowd start to realize
that he's not paying them any attention, and slowly dissipate.]

Junko: Guess so. You know him, Ukyou?

Ukyou: [sighs] Unfortunately.

Makiko: [poking Ukyou] You know this guy? Why didn't you ever introduce me?
Darn it, he looks familiar...

Ukyou: [whispering] Hush! [aloud] Konnichiwa, Sato-san!

Sato: [approaches and bows] Konnichiwa, Kuonji-san. I wished to talk to you
further about the Kurakujanen episode.

Ukyou: [crossing her arms] Yeah, I remember that practical joke. I was NOT
amused.

Makiko: Oh...! [pointing finger] You're THAT Sato? The one Ucchan was...

Junko: [pokes Makiko in the ribs and whispering] It's not nice to point!

Makiko: Gomen nasai! Gomen nasai! [beams at Sato] It's NICE to meet you!

Sato: [ignoring Makiko] I would have apologized to you at the welcome home
party Furuya-san threw, but...

Ukyou: ... that pervert...

Sato: [sighing] My apologies for Ketibeppu-san's behavior. You walked out
rather quickly afterwards.

Ukyou: I didn't think Furuya-san would have appreciated it if I threw Choji
out through the wall.

Sato: Especially as the Saotomes have already incurred much property damage.

Ukyou: Enough talk. Is there another mystic threat that you need us to fix?

[Makiko blinks at this comment.]

Sato: Perhaps... perhaps not.

Ukyou: [glaring] What kind of response is that?

Sato: I cannot determine if there is a mystic threat or not.

Ukyou: That's NOT an answer!

Sato: I can only determine if there is a threat after I have had a talk with
you.

Ukyou: [growling] Are you saying *I* am a threat?

Sato: No, no, I was merely suggesting that there may be more to your
experience than meets the eye.

Ukyou: [heatedly] What, do you expect me to transform into some kind of weird
alien monster?

Sato: I do not think it is wise to discuss this here. If we may talk
privately?

Ukyou: Oh. Um... [looks at Makiko and Junko]

Junko: Go ahead, Ukyou.

Makiko: Yeah, go ahead! [mischievous grin] Run along on your little date!
After all, you need privacy for your... um... exorcism! [wags her
eyebrows suggestively]

Ukyou: [glaring at Makiko] It's not what you're thinking! [Makiko grins.
Ukyou sighs.] Let's go, Sato.

Sato: Please, follow me.

Makiko: Bye, Sato! Nice to meet you!

[Sato looks at Makiko, raises an eyebrow, turns to Ukyou, and motions, then
starts walking off. Makiko glares after him.]

Makiko: What a jerk.

Ukyou: He's not that bad. [sighs] He's just infuriating.

Makiko: Oh well. [laughs] So what? He's so cute! You two lovebirds have fun!
[grins]

Junko: [socking Makiko in the arm] C'mon!
[grabs ahold of Makiko's arm and pulls her away] We'll see you later,
Ukyou!

Makiko: [waving after her] Ja ne! [grins] Have fun with your boyfriend!

Ukyou: He's NOT my boyfriend!!! [Makiko chortles.]

Junko: [grabbing Makiko's arm] Honestly, Makiko, I can't take you anywhere.

[Junko walks off, dragging Makiko with her, as Ukyou sighs. She then turns
around to see Sato, who is standing in the distance, waiting patiently. She
shrugs, and walks towards him.]

* * *

Ukyou: Where are we?

Sato: [smiles] I like to commune with nature here.

Ukyou: [looking around] I can see why.

[A river flows downstream, with a large boulder on the bank. All around them
grows bamboo. Sato motions for Ukyou to sit on the boulder. Ukyou shakes her
head, but climbs aboard the rock anyway. She crosses her arms, as Sato jumps
up and stands, looking into the horizon.]

Ukyou: What do you want, Sato?

Sato: [looking down and sighing] I must admit, I was rather surprised at your
reaction to the Guardian's test.

Ukyou: You were? [blinks] You didn't look too... well, why were you surprised?

Sato: While many people have had strong reactions to the Guardian's test,
you were... out of the ordinary.

[Ukyou waits for Sato to elaborate, but quickly grows impatient when Sato
doesn't say anything.]

Ukyou: Why should I be singled out? What about Ranma and Akane?

Sato: Your reaction was most... singular.

Ukyou: Arrrggghhhh!!!

Sato: I'm sorry. It's very hard to explain. You bounced back from the whole
experience faster than anyone I've known, including myself. I
wondered...

Ukyou: [staring out at the river, wrapping her arms around her knees] I looked
at myself. [pause] I found I didn't like myself very much.

Sato: Hai. The Guardian shows you things you have never considered about
yourself.

Ukyou: [looking up at the blue sky] You know, I just talked to Makiko yesterday
about all this... and it's still not easy to talk about.

Sato: [looks away uncomfortably] I understand. I had difficulties with my
experience. However, I thought the unusual attitude you displayed may
have been a side effect of... [fidgets, trying to find the right words]

[Ukyou stares up at Sato, slumping down a hand to her cheek, and her elbow on
her knee, as she waits. A look of annoyance is clear on her face as she watches
Sato searching for words.]

Ukyou: [sharply, irritated] Of what?

Sato: Well, Kurakujanen could have... done something to you.

[Ukyou blinks, then starts laughing.]

Sato: [crossing his arms] I fail to see what is so funny.

[Ukyou stops laughing, and favors Sato with a crooked smile. She shakes her
head.]

Ukyou: How could you have known? Kurakujanen, and the Guardian, couldn't have
done anything worse to me than I'd already done to myself!

Sato: [eyebrow rising] Pardon?

[Ukyou turns away from Sato. She stares out at the river for a while, before
responding.]

Ukyou: [sighs] I really don't want to talk to you about this.

Sato: [nods] I see.

[They watch the river bubble and flow downstream for a while. Sato appears to
be lost in thought, as Ukyou swings her legs by the rock. Growing uncomfortable
with the silence...]

Ukyou: So, umm... you live next to Ran-chan, right?

Sato: Ran-... oh, the Saotomes. Hai.

Ukyou: I've never seen you around there too often.

Sato: Well, I've been in Osaka.

Ukyou: Hey, my father lives there. What were you doing there?

Sato: Looking for answers.

Ukyou: Answers? Answers to what? [Sato stares off into space] Hey, I asked...

Sato: How can I answer your question, when I don't know the question is?

Ukyou: I was asking you about what your question was...

Sato: And I'm telling you, I don't know what the question is!

Ukyou: The question is...

Sato: [waving his hand] Not THAT question. The question. Actually, I meant more
than one question. Everything I'm looking for. I came back because I had
the feeling SOME of the answers I was looking for would be answered here.

Ukyou: You're not making any sense.

Sato: All right. Let me try to give you one thing that has been bothering me.
Why does the Guardian put us all through a test?

Ukyou: [blinks] To make us confront ourselves? Isn't that what you said?

Sato: It was what I thought to be true. Recent discussions with Akane and Ranma
has shown me that there may be much more to the whole thing than I
believed. And so I came to see you.

Ukyou: Well, have you gotten the answers you wanted?

Sato: [looking off into the sky] No. Not really.

Ukyou: [with a crooked smile] So glad I could help.
[brief pause, as Ukyou thinks. She then turns to Sato] Hey.
[Sato looks down] What was YOUR experience like?

Sato: Pardon?

Ukyou: You know. Your first encounter with the Guardian.

Sato: [grimaces] I would prefer not to discuss that.

Ukyou: [stares at Sato] You... want to poke your nose into my business... but
you won't...?

Sato: [sighing and holding out a palm] Point taken. Very well... I saw myself
down a path that could have been. On that path, I was wealthy, adored,
and famous...

Ukyou: [giggling] That wasn't so bad, was it?

Sato: [sighs] Not if you're an idol singer.

Ukyou: [eyes wide open] You? [chuckles, then looks at him appraisingly]
Well, you certainly have the looks... and the adoring mobs of girls...

Sato: [rubbing temples] Please. I would not prefer to explore this farther...

Ukyou: [trying to hide a smile] Okay...

Sato: [sighs] Fortunately, I chosen not to continue down that path. I would
have been miserable. Still, to see all that could have been...

Ukyou: Hai.. [looks pensive]

Sato: There's no point in exploring what may have been. There is only what
lies before you, and nothing else. I don't know what your experience
may have been, but...

Ukyou: [smiles] I'm fine. What I said back then was true: Nothing will ever
make me lose confidence in myself. Ever. [under her breath] Again.

Sato: [nods] Very good. For me, however, I needed to find my own answers. That
was why I left.

[Sato continues to look into the horizon. The sun inches closer towards the
horizon. Ukyou starts throwing rocks into the river with a pensive expression
on her face, as Sato continues to contemplate. Ukyou looks at Sato.]

Ukyou: [thinking] What's with this guy? He thinks too much.
[blinks as a thought occurs to her, then gives a mischievous grin]
[to Sato] Hey, you left because you wanted to find answers?

Sato: Uh? What did you say? [blinks as Ukyou's question registers] Oh... it's
more complicated than that, but basically, yes.

Ukyou: And you came back because you wanted answers.

Sato: Hai.

Ukyou: So why did you bother leaving?

Sato: [blinks] Hmm? Uh... [scratching head] Er...

Ukyou: [laughing] See, why did you even leave?

Sato: [sighs] It's not THAT easy to explain. How can I put it?

[Sato motions with his hands, as if trying to call up memories. Ukyou laughs,
picks up a pebble, and tosses it into the river. Suddenly...]

Sato: [turning to Ukyou explosively] Everything is an arrangement of light and
shadow!

Ukyou: [startled] Nani?

[Sato points to Ukyou's shadow, which is trailing off into the distance.]

Sato: Shadow exists wherever there is light. Move off the rock. [motions]

[Ukyou climbs off the rock.]

Sato: Now, look at your shadow.

[Ukyou watches her shadow disappear into the shadow of the rock.]

Sato: Your own shadow is gone. But you know it's there, don't you?

[Ukyou slowly nods.]

Sato: Now, imagine if the sun is right above us. [points straight up]
There would be no shadow.

Ukyou: Hai. [sighs] It'd be nice if the sun were always above our heads.

Sato: [shaking his head] But that would be a perversion of nature. Just as
there is day, there is also night.

Ukyou: But...

Sato: I said everything was an arrangement of light and shadow. Come on up.
[Ukyou climbs back onto the rock.] Now, wait and watch.

[Sato kneels next to Ukyou on the boulder, and watches the horizon, lost in his
thoughts, while Ukyou looks at the sky in exasperation. She fidgets as the sun
slowly sets in the west. The sky is slowly fading from color to black. The
fading light slowly casts a calm bliss, different from the brightness of the
day, as the half moon slowly begins to develop a reflection in the river. Sato
quietly taps Ukyou's shoulder and points towards the moon to the east. Ukyou's
impatience turns to wonder.]

Ukyou: [looking around to watch the shadows form] Everything is so beautiful.

Sato: Hai. A very different arrangement of light and shadow. Just as beautiful.

Ukyou: I haven't watched a sunset in so long... I never realized.
[looking sideways at Sato] So... are you saying that whenever I don't
like the way things are arranged... I should move?

Sato: [gives an enigmatic smile] I cannot answer that.

Ukyou: [blinks] Why not?

Sato: Because everyone has a different answer. For myself, I am looking for
something that I can't define.

Ukyou: You seeking the answer to life?

Sato: Not really. I'm seeking the _right_ question so that I can find the
answer.

Ukyou: [confused] Oh. [looks at the moon, then gets up] I think we better go
now.

Sato: [blinks] Oh! Sorry... I was just caught up in thinking about the
Guardian, and-

Ukyou: [interrupting] It's getting dark, so we better hurry.

* * *

Ukyou's voice: It's really dark.

Sato's voice: Hai. The grove gets very dark quickly this time of the year.

Ukyou's voice: You know, why didn't you just show me the sunset somewhere else?
[silence from Sato] Hello?

Sato's voice: Actually, I didn't think of that.

[Ukyou's laughter rings through the forest.]

Sato's voice: I'm glad you find this amusing. What, if I may ask, is so funny?

Ukyou's voice: We just watched a beautiful sunset at a beautiful place, and I
loved it! I was just teasing you!
[mischievously] Even though it is your fault...

Sato's voice: I was merely conveying my belief that everyone should take a
moment to observe the sunset. I failed, however, to consider
that I could have brought a flashlight.

Ukyou's voice: [lightheartedly] Oh, so you could provide a whole new
"arrangement of light and shadow"?
[chuckles] Is that the answer? To bring a light?

Sato's voice: Very funny.

Ukyou's voice: Hey, what's that?

[A soft glow is seen in the distance.]

Sato's voice: I don't know. [rustling sounds move towards the glow]
Kuonji-san! Wait!

Ukyou's voice: [trailing off into the distance] It could be a way out!

Sato's voice: Not in these woods!

[Ukyou comes bursting out of the woods and stares at a glowing bamboo plant.
Sato comes bursting out right behind her, panting heavily.]

Sato: [crouching, trying to catch his breath] Kuonji-san... these woods
have... spiritual energy... about them! You could set off something!

Ukyou: [turning to Sato] What the hell is THAT? [points at the glowing plant]

[Sato gets a good look at the plant. He blinks, as Ukyou approaches the plant
curiously.]

Sato: [yelling at Ukyou] Get back!!! [Ukyou backs off from the plant.]
Let me handle it.

Ukyou: [yelling after Sato] What do you mean, you'll handle it?! I can handle
myself!

Sato: Kuonji, you have no idea what you're dealing with here!

Ukyou: And you do?

Sato: Not yet... [walks past Ukyou]

Ukyou: [crossing her arms] Didn't think so.

[Sato slowly approaches the plant, and circles it warily. Pulling out a warding
wand, he slowly chants and waves the wand around. His eyes widens, and he
starts backing away.]

Sato: No... it can't be.

[Ukyou, however, is looking off into the horizon, her head cocked as if she is
hearing something.]

Ukyou: What?

[Ukyou walks up to the bamboo plant, her head cocked as if she is listening to
instructions. Sato, trying to figure out his next move, doesn't realize till
too late that Ukyou is reaching out to touch the bamboo plant.]

Sato: No, don't!

[A bright glow encompasses Ukyou... and then fades away. Ukyou spins around to
Sato.]

Ukyou: There's somebody in there!

Sato: [sighs] I was afraid of that.

Ukyou: [to the bamboo] I'm going to get you out!

Sato: Wait-!!!

[Ukyou slashes with the spatula in her right hand and slices the bamboo plant
open. The plant splits into two. Ukyou reaches into the bottom part of the
bamboo, and slowly pulls her hands out to reveal a small glowing baby.]

* * *

[Sato's room, at Maison Sabaku. Ukyou is kneeling on the floor holding the
small glowing child, wrapped in her jacket, very carefully in her arms. Sato,
on the other hand, is looking very uncomfortable.]

Ukyou: What is she?

[She looks down at the baby, smiles, and tickles the baby's stomach with her
face. The baby momentarily crosses its eyes, then focus its eyes on Ukyou. It
starts smiling.]

Sato: [rubbing his temples] This is... not good.

Ukyou: But what is she? [coos at the baby. The baby gurgles happily.]

Sato: [looking up at the ceiling] What is she?! She's a divine being!

Ukyou: [blinking] But I thought you were a spiritualist...?

Sato: Hai... but I am not prepared for this!

Ukyou: But why...?

Sato: She's a... BABY!

Ukyou: [blinking] So? [realizing] You... don't have any idea how to care for
her, do you? [holds out a finger near the baby's hand, and smiles as
the baby instinctively grasps her finger.]

Sato: Actually, no, but it's a little more complicated than that. She is of the
heavens. Perhaps I should take care of her... [reaching out for the baby]

Ukyou: [holding baby protectively] No!

Sato: But...

Ukyou: I can take care of her!

Sato: But you don't understand! She's a Moon-Child!

Ukyou: So what...?

[Loud pounding on the door.]

Toshi's voice: What's all the commotion there? Sato-san! Let this old man
sleep!

Ranma's voice: Hey, keep it down, old man! I'm trying to STUDY!

Akane's voice: YOU keep it down! I'm studying!

[The Saotomes start arguing next door, as pounding continues.]

Sato: [grimacing] Yamakawa-san, come in!

[Toshi enters, blinks at Ukyou and the Moon-Child, and then kneels next to
Sato.]

Sato: I believe you two met at the party. Now, then...

Toshi: [stares at the baby] What the hell is that?

Sato: That's a Moon-child.

Toshi: A Moon-child? Like those old fairy tales? [whaps Sato on the head]
I thought I told you NOT to bring your work home with you!

Sato: [rubbing head] I should have stayed in Osaka. Perhaps my harmony wouldn't
have been disturbed this badly...

Toshi: [ignoring Sato] Do you know what you have there, Kuonji-san?

[Ukyou shakes her head.]

Toshi: That's a Moon-child!

Sato: I believe she already knew that little bit of information, Yamakawa-san.

Toshi: Shut up, boy.

Ukyou: Wait, how do you know that?

Toshi: You don't need to be a know-it-all spiritualist like him...
[points thumb at Sato] to know about the story of Kaguya-hime.

Sato: Perhaps you should let me explain to Kuonji-san...

[Toshi ignores Sato, and starts reciting his tale as though he had told this
many times before.]

Toshi: Long, long ago, there lived an old bamboo woodcutter. He was very poor
and sad also, for no child had Heaven sent to cheer his old age, and
his heart there was no hope of rest from work til he died and was laid
in the quiet grave. Every morning he went forth into the woods...

Sato: [interrupting Toshi] Short version: An old bamboo-cutter once found a
Moon-Child in much the same fashion you have.

Toshi: Hey! [smacks Sato] Young people these days! Ichiro-kun, didn't your
father teach you any respect for your elders?

Sato: [rubbing head] Gomen, Yamakawa-san, but we don't have time for the long
version. [looks at Ukyou] The Moon-Child will bring both happiness and
sadness.

Ukyou: Is that why you were so hesitant to take the Moon-Child?

Sato: [sighs] Part of it is to avoid disturbing the natural harmony of things.
The other part is... I wasn't sure I could take care of her.

Ukyou: [shock on her face] You would have left a BABY alone?

Sato: That is not a mere baby, that's a...

Ukyou: A Moon-Child! Chikusho! I won't let you just abandon her!

Sato: But, Ukyou, that's not what I meant to...

[Ukyou gets up, cradling the Moon-Child in one arm, and quickly opens the
door.]

Sato: Wait...

[Ukyou pulls down an eyelid with one finger, and sticks her tongue out, then
stomps through the doorway and slams the door behind her.]

Sato: [rubbing head with hand] All I wanted to say was that I could've gotten
Furuya-san to help me. What was all that about?

Toshi: [patting Sato on the back] Ichiro-kun, my boy, you may be a hell of a
spiritualist, but women most definitely possesses a very different kind
of spirit. [chuckles]

[Outside Sato's room, Ukyou storms over to Ranma's room, and starts to knock on
the door. She stops just before she actually hits the door, blinks once, then
let her hand drop and slowly walks down the stairs, holding the baby
possessively.]

* * *

[Makiko and Ukyou's room. Makiko is frantically waving her arms at Ukyou.]

Makiko: You want me to WHAT?!

Ukyou: Help me take care of her. Lower your voice, she's sleeping. [ducks into
a closet]

Makiko: Of her? She's GLOWING!

Ukyou: [coming out of the closet holding a blanket] So? [wraps the sleeping
Moon-Child in the blanket]

Makiko: How can you be so nonchalant about this?

Ukyou: [brushing something off the Moon-Child gently] I've seen weirder things.

Makiko: This is for real? Magic and all?

Ukyou: Yep. Here, hold her. I'll get something for her. [hands the baby to
Makiko] Shh... don't wake her.

Makiko: No way! You got to be kidding me! [rubbing at the Moon-Child's skin]
How'd you do this?

Ukyou: [growing irritated] Believe me. Do we have anything to put milk in?
[walks into kitchen]

Makiko: [staring at her finger] No way! That baby is actually GLOWING on her
own! [stares after Ukyou] You... but... it... You mean... uh...

Ukyou's voice: [from the kitchen, smugly] Hai?

Makiko: No way!!! I thought you and Ranma were putting me on!

[The baby wakes up and starts crying. Makiko starts rocking the baby. The
sound of the refrigerator opening can be heard from the kitchen.]

Ukyou's voice: I wasn't putting you on, Maki-chan.

Makiko: [entering kitchen] But what the hell is she? Some kind of human bomb?

Ukyou: [pouring milk into a pot and returning it to the refrigerator] No.
She's just a baby. [looks at baby] Oh no, you woke her up.

Makiko: [shaking her head] Look. Even if she IS a celestial being... and I'm
not saying she is... are you really supposed to feed little
moon-childs MILK? What if she blows up or something? We'd have the
wrath of Heaven descending on our heads!

Ukyou: [putting pot on stove and turning it on] Take it easy. You're starting
to sound like Kunou. Here, let me have her.

[She takes the Moon-Child from Makiko. The baby stops crying, and starts
gurgling happily.]

Makiko: [making a face] Well, how else do you expect me to react? We have a
glowing girl on our hands!

Ukyou: [holding baby tighter] Stop calling her "that glowing girl"!

Makiko: What else should I call her? Tsukino Usagi?

Ukyou: Don't be ridiculous. [pondering] How about Megami?

Makiko: You're out of your mind! [Ukyou grins.] Oh my god, you're actually
going to do it! You're going to take care of a Moon-Child?!

Ukyou: [patting Makiko on the cheek] Relax. [Megami starts crying, and
Ukyou hugs the baby closer.] Hush... Auntie Maki didn't mean anything
by that. Auntie Maki's just blowing off a little steam, that's
all... but she'll help out... won't you, Maki-chan?

Makiko: Wait a minute! You can't be trying to raise her, are you? Why don't you
contact social services or something? I mean... what if... people come
looking for her?

Ukyou: Damn it, I'm not going to abandon her! Not like... [trails off]

Makiko: [look of sudden understanding crosses her face] Like... oh.
[throwing up her hands] Okay, okay, Auntie Maki's going to help...
but if she blows up and kills us all, I'll NEVER speak to you again!

Ukyou: [grinning] Okay! Now, let's feed her! Turn off the stove and get the
pot, will you, Maki-chan?

[Makiko grabs the pot and pours the milk down the drain.]

Ukyou: [blinks] Hey, what are you doing...?

Makiko: I don't know about Moon-childs, but you don't feed babies this young
milk yet. [opens the refrigerator] Where did you put the juice?

Ukyou: [smiles] Thank you, Maki-chan.

* * *

[Morning. Makiko is slumped down in a chair, chin to chest, her face partly
smeared by a yellowish substance. Ukyou is lying across her bed, a towel
covered with food stains draped across her shoulder. A small hand reaches out
and pokes Ukyou on the head. Ukyou brushes off the hand, but it continues to
poke some more.]

Ukyou: [mumbling] Go 'way, Maki-chan. It's your turn to check on Megami...

[More poking.]

Ukyou: [opening her eyes] All right, all right, I'm up... N- n- nani?!

[Eyes wide open, Ukyou backs up, reaching out for Makiko. She grabs Makiko's
ankle, and yanks, waking up Makiko.]

Makiko: Hey, what the...? [stares] What the hell...? Megami?

[They both stare at a two-year old glowing girl, wearing the blanket from the
previous night.]

Megami: [waving her arms in the air] O-ayo!

[Ukyou and Makiko look at each other, then at Megami, and back at each other.
Makiko then puts her face into her hands, sighs, and looks at Ukyou.

Makiko: You know, of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

* * *

[*WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK*!]

Ukyou: Come here, Megami-chan. Don't hit Sato-san like that.

Megami: Goomba! Goomba! [whacking Sato's face with open palms some more]

[Room 5. Sato is holding Megami and trying unsuccessfully to avoid getting hit
as he talks to Ukyou.]

Sato: This is a normal progression [gets bapped in the nose] for deities such
as this one. They can develop very quickly in a short time. [rubs his ear
as he gets rapped by Megami]

Ukyou: _COME HERE_, MEGAMI!

[Megami shakes her head furiously, and grabs Sato by both ears.]

Sato: [trying to remain impassive as Megami tugs on both ears] If it's any
condolence, she should grow out of this stage very soon.

Ukyou: [grabs Megami] Bad girl! [Megami, however, has not let go of Sato's
ears, and Sato's right eye twitches as he struggles not to yelp.] Gomen,
Sato-san! [pries Megami's hands off Sato, and holds her]

Sato: [rubbing his ears] Ahem. As I was saying... essentially, some deities
are left for mortals to raise. Why this is so, I cannot say.

Ukyou: Perhaps the gods were... trying to be human?

Sato: Perhaps. Or... perhaps the gods are testing a mortal.

Ukyou: Nani? [blinks] Me?

Sato: Perhaps... the Guardian's test is not yet over?

* * *

[Ukyou closes the door to Sato's door, looking troubled. She starts to walk
down the stairs, just as Ranma opens his door and steps out.]

Ukyou: Hi, Ran-chan!

Ranma: Hey, Ucchan! I'll be right with you! [closes door, locks it, and walks
next to Ukyou. They both start walking down the stairs together.]
So what are you doing at Sato's?

[Ranma and Ukyou step out through the front door of Maison Sabaku and starts
walking towards Mizunoikan.]

Ukyou: I was asking him about her.

Ranma: Her? [looks at Megami, who stares up at him with wonder]

Ukyou: This is Megami.

Ranma: [blinks] She's glowing, Ucchan.

Ukyou: [sighing] Yes. She's glowing. So what?

Ranma: [holding up hands] Hey, whatever. Hi, Megami!

[Megami ducks behind Ukyou's leg, putting a finger to her mouth as she stares
at Ranma with large eyes.]

Ukyou: I found her yesterday in a bamboo wood.

Ranma: [grins] Great! So it's _your_ turn now? Maybe now weird things will
stop happening to me!

Ukyou: In your dreams. Anyway, Sato said she was a Moon-child. [no response
from Ranma] Do you know what a Moon-child is?

Ranma: Not really. [grins] Hey, I gotta get to class. Aren't you coming to
class?

Ukyou: Yeah. I'll be there as soon as I find Makiko. She's supposed to
watch her for me while I'm in classes.

Ranma: Okay... I'll see you, then! Ja mata! [dashes off]

Ukyou: [picking up and lifting Megami] C'mon, let's go find Maki-chan!

[Megami sticks a finger into her mouth.]

* * *

[Early evening, Makiko and Ukyou's apartment. Makiko is plopped out on the
floor, as a taller Megami, who now looks to be about 4 years old, is walking
around, touching things and playing with them. Books are all over the floor,
and small objects are smashed. Ukyou opens the door and comes in.]

Ukyou: [putting down books] Have fun taking care of her while I was in class?

Makiko: [staring up at the ceiling] Did you know that little kids are
IMPOSSIBLE to put to sleep?

Ukyou: [looking around] So I see.

Makiko: [sitting up] I was trying to put her to bed and she BIT me on the
stomach!

Ukyou: [blinks] You're kidding me. Megami-chan! Come here!

Megami: [shaking her head] No!

Ukyou: [blinks] She's talking pretty well now.

Makiko: Yeah. She can actually say "Want Ukyou!" pretty well now.

Ukyou: [smiles] Really? When did she start saying that?

Makiko: When I was banging on the bathroom door telling her to unlock the door.

Ukyou: Uh...? [walks over to catch Megami]

Makiko: She grabbed a few of my notes and somehow locked the door and flushed
my notes down the toilet.

Ukyou: Oh, I'm sure she didn't know what she was doing... [picks up Megami]

Makiko: I swear, she KNEW exactly what she was doing!

Ukyou: [to Megami] You flushed Auntie Maki's notes down the toilet?

Megami: [beaming] Yep!

Ukyou: [frowning] Bad girl! [Megami puts a finger in her mouth, looking
downcast] Why did you do that?

Megami: Auntie Maki no fun! Want Ukyou!

Ukyou: [hugging Megami] That was nice, but you shouldn't have done that to
Auntie Maki. [putting her down] Now go apologize!

Megami: [putting finger in mouth] Gomen, Auntie.

Makiko: Er... ah...

Megami: [frowning] Auntie Maki not happy?

Makiko: No, Auntie Maki is not happy!

Ukyou: [giving Makiko a warning glance] Auntie Maki is tired. Let her rest.

Megami: Oh! I know what Auntie Maki needs! [runs into bedroom]

Makiko: Gomen, Ukyou. [sighs] Mom always said she hoped I'd have kids that put
me through what she did. I just didn't expect it to be this soon.
[falls back on ground]

[Megami comes running out with a pillow. She drops the pillow, and starts
pulling Makiko up. Bemused, Makiko cooperates, as Megami then pushes the pillow
under her, and pushes Makiko back down.]

Megami: Better?

[Ukyou laughs.]

Makiko: [corner of her mouth quirking] Better.

[Megami beams.]

* * *

[Ukyou marches into the apartment, followed by Megami. Megami, who now appears
to be about six years old, is following with her head hanging. Megami puts her
hands behind her back and shuffles her feet as Ukyou goes into the kitchen,
angrily dumps her shopping bags on the counter, then turns to Megami. Megami
appears to shrink a bit as Ukyou stares at her, arm crossed. Ukyou takes a deep
breath and lets it out slowly.]

Ukyou: Okay. What did I tell you to do?

Megami: [sullen] Don't touch anything?

Ukyou: Correct. And what did you do?

Megami: [smiling] It went rattle rumble boom!

Ukyou: [kneeling] I told you not to touch. I had to put all the oranges back
in a pile. [sighs] Look, do as I tell you, okay?

Megami: [nods] Uh huh.

Ukyou: Good. [hugs Megami]

[Ukyou turns away, and starts to put food away. Behind her, Megami walks over
to Makiko's computer, and starts poking away on the keyboard. Soon Ukyou
finishes, and walks over. She catches Megami.]

Ukyou: Megami! What did I tell you?

Megami: No touch?

Ukyou: Yep.

[Megami looks at Ukyou, then back at the keyboard. She brushes a key very
lightly with her fingertip, then smiles, jumps off Makiko's chair, and runs
into the kitchen, as Ukyou gives an exasperated sigh.]

Ukyou: [blows hair out of her face] Why do I put up with you, Megami?

Megami: [peering around the corner at Ukyou] Love Ukyou.

[Ukyou blinks, then smiles, makes tickling motions with her hands, and reaches
out for Megami, who giggles and runs.]

* * *

[Over the next few days, Megami grows up rapidly. Ukyou and Makiko take her
out during the days, as the sunlight hides Megami's glowing. Eventually, Megami
starts fussing about wanting to be taken out at night. Leaving Megami with
Makiko, Ukyou goes to Sato.]

Sato: I see. I believe it may be possible to remove the glowing energy around
Megami. She should then be able to walk around without drawing attention.

Ukyou: So you'll help?

Sato: Yes, but... well, shouldn't you leave Megami in my care? I have more
experience dealing with spirits and...

Ukyou: Sato, you are NOT taking her!

Sato: All right, all right... [sighs] How is Megami doing anyway?

Ukyou: [smiling] She's doing great! [opens her purse to pull out a few
pictures] See this? We finally got her potty-trained! And here, she's
playing with Makiko's computer... and here, this is her first...

[Sato develops a glazed look on his face.]

* * *

[That night, Sato kneels in front of an altar set up in the corner of his
room. He begins an invocation, eyes closed and hands clapped together.]

Sato: Ancient spirits of the darkness, harken unto me! I call thee forth,
Yutaga!

[Sato waits expectantly. After a short while, he cautiously opens one eyelid.
Opening both eyes, he sighs.]

Sato: Harken unto me, spirits of the dark! I call thee forth, Yutaga!

[Nothing. A brief pause, and then Sato sighs, stands up, and starts walking
away.]

Voice: Hey, wait a minute! You just up and leave after taking all the trouble
to summon me?

Sato: [sighs] I thought you weren't coming.

Voice: Gimme a break. I've been busy.

Sato: Oh?

Voice: I was keeping an eye on... never mind. What do you want?

[A shadow breaks off from the corner of the altar, and slowly forms a vague
outline.]

Sato: Very good, Yutaga. I have a request for you.

Yutaga: Oho! So the young one has a request! Well... I don't do requests.

Sato: And if I leave you some sake at a temple of your choosing?

Yutaga: Aaaah... that would be tempting.

Sato: Very well...

Yutaga: Ah, ah! What exactly is your request?

Sato: Are you familiar with the Moon-People?

Yutaga: Well! What a coincidence! I, myself was... ah, but you don't need to
know.

Sato: Coincidence...? Are you observing, by any chance, a Moon-Child?

Yutaga: Well! Now, I can't tell you, can I? Unless you want to...

Sato: [quickly] No, just the request is sufficent.

Yutaga: Feh... it'd have been nice to have you fetch a branch from the tree of
Mount Horai. Well, out with it, boy!

Sato: [bowing his head] Is it possible for you to dampen a Moon-Child's glow?

Yutaga: What? You expect me to hide the Moon-Child from observation? I'm
supposed to... oops.

Sato: So! You ARE spying on Megami!

Yutaga: Am I? Or am I there to watch the young mortal who is caring for her?

Sato: Leave Kuonji out of this.

Yutaga: Ah, ah... she chose to involve herself in the affairs of gods.

Sato: Look...

Yutaga: But I digress. You wanted the Moon-Child's glow to be dampened? I will
do that... if you put the sake at the temple on the peak of Mount Fuji.

Sato: Wait a minute, you cannot put Kuonji through...

Yutaga: Ah, ah! You'll have to put sake at the temple... every day for two
weeks.

Sato: [eyes narrowing] You're trying to keep me out of the way.

Yutaga: Now you got it.

Sato: I cannot allow you to destroy Kuonji's life.

Yutaga: [chuckling] "Those whom gods destroy, they first drive mad." Does she
look crazy to you, Sato Ichiro?

Sato: No, but...

Yutaga: [swelling up as darkness envelopes the room] Then stay out of it.

Sato: [teeth grinding] All right. I will.

Yutaga: Good. [out of the air, it pulls out a small bag and hands it to Sato.]
Give this to the Moon-Child. I expect to see you at Mount Fuji by
tomorrow night. [fades away]

[Sato stands up, shadows falling across his face. The candles on the altar go
out, leaving the room dark.]

* * *

[The next day, early afternoon, on the streets. Megami, who now looks about 8
years old, is happily tugging on a balloon tied to her right wrist, while
holding Ukyou's hand with her left. As they arrive at their apartment
building, Megami begins tugging on Ukyou's hand, scampering up the stairs and
forcing Makiko to run quickly to keep up.]

Ukyou: Megami, patience!

Megami: No!

[Ukyou reaches into her purse to get her keys. As soon as she does, Megami
reaches out, grabs them, fumbles around with the keys, and then stands on her
toes and puts the apartment key in the door. She manages to unlock the door.
Makiko reaches out to turn the doorknob, and Megami pushes her way in.]

Voices: Surprise!

Ukyou: Look, Megami! It's a party just for you!

Megami: [eyes wide] For me?

[Megami looks around at the festive room, and then looks at Ranma and Makiko,
who are standing there beaming.]

Makiko: [with party hat on] Hai hai! Well, come on in, already! Everyone
brought you something!

[Megami squeals in delight and rushes into the room. Ukyou smiles wearily and
enters, closing the door behind her.]

Makiko: [to Ukyou] Rough day?

Ukyou: [to Makiko] Where would you like me to begin?

Makiko: [to Ukyou] Later. Right now it's her party. [smiles]

[Megami runs right up to the stack of presents and spreads her arms out wide.
She then turns to Ukyou and Makiko.]

Megami: Are these all for me?

Akane: [walking in from the bedroom] Hai!

[Akane, dressed as a clown in a red nose, pointy red-striped hat, and baggy
frilly clothing, stands next to the presents holding a bottle of seltzer.
Megami runs screaming to Ukyou and hides behind her. Akane frowns, while
Ranma, sitting in one of the chairs, falls onto the floor laughing.]

Megami: [pointing to Akane] Wh- what's that?

Akane: Ranma! Stop laughing!

Ranma: [chuckling] Heheh... o-ok Akane... heheh.. I'll stop. [stifles a giggle]
It's just that ... [chuckles]

Akane: [frowning] I mean it! [aims seltzer bottle at Ranma]

[Ranma scrambles to his feet and ducks behind his chair.]

Ranma: You wouldn't dare!

Akane: Don't tempt me!

Ukyou: [gently, to Megami] It's ok, Megami... Auntie Akane is just wearing a
clown costume for you. It's supposed to be funny... [trails off]

Megami: [pointing again] That's Auntie Akane?

Makiko: [nods] Un.

Akane: [smiles] Megami-chan! Come here and give me a hug!

[Megami timidly walks toward Akane and gives her a hug. Akane's nose honks,
and Megami jumps away again. Makiko smiles and crosses the room, settling in
the chair vacated by Ranma.]

Akane: [taking off nose] No no... see, it was just my nose! See?

Megami: Oh! I see! Why are you wearing that, Auntie Akane?

Akane: Um... [long pause] Because you're a ... growing girl, so we wanted to
give you a birthday party before you... well, anyway, you need a clown
at your birthday party!

Ranma: [to Makiko] No one else volunteered, huh?

Makiko: I tried to get Tanaka-kun, but he refused.

Ranma: Can't say I blame him. [grins]

Megami: Oh! [looks around] Where's Uncle Sato?

Ukyou: Er... well...

[As if on cue, there is a knock at the door.]

Makiko: Come in!

[Lardizabal comes in, holding two boxes.]

Lardizabal: Er... hi.

Megami: You're not Uncle Sato! [pouts]

Makiko: Oh... er... this is Uncle Lardizabal.

Ranma: But you can call him Uncle Lardy.

Lardizabal: [growling] Ranma...

Megami: [beaming] Are those for me, Uncle Lardy?

Lardizabal: Don't call me La-... er... [trying to smile] Well, this one is
from me, and this one is from some guy, who, I guess, is
Uncle Sato. [hands presents to Megami]

Ukyou: Sato! Where is he?

Lardizabal: I don't know. Just as I was coming upstairs, this guy who was being
chased by a group of girls ran past me, threw me the package, and
yelled that he'd be back in two weeks.

Ukyou: Two weeks? But I asked him to... oooh! Wait till I get my hands on him!

[Megami, meanwhile, is opening packages.]

Megami: Auntie Maki? Why did Uncle Sato give me a bag of sand?

Ukyou and Megami: Sand?

[Megami holds out her arms, the sand cupped in her hands. The sand sparkles for
a second, then suddenly explodes in a burst of darkness that nearly envelopes
the room. Slowly, the darkness shrinks and starts forming around Megami, before
being absorbed into the young girl.]

Megami: I'm not glowing!

[Ukyou smiles.]

Ukyou: Thank you, Sato.

* * *

[On a train heading to Mount Fuji, Sato is sitting in a seat, door barricaded
against intruders. He stares at the scenery flashing past him, lost in
thought. Finally, he sighs, crosses his arms, and frowns.]

Sato: [quoting] "One of the angels put a wing-like robe around Kaguya-hime.
The princess got into the golden carriage and ascended up into heaven.
And her grandfather and grandmother fell to the ground and wept, for
they knew they would never see their princess again.
[pause] Before she left, Princess Kaguya presented a gift of some 'Live
forever' medicine to the Emperor. This medicine had a special quality
that if a human would take it, he or she would never die, but live
forever. But the Emperor declared, 'We should not take such a medicine,
but take it to the tallest mountain and BURN it.'"

[Sato watches as Mount Fuji comes into view.]

Sato: "So his servant took the medicine to the tallest mountain and burned
the medicine. As a result that mountain acquired the eternal quality
of the medicine. Ever since that time, this mountain has been called,
'Mount Fuji,' the mountain that never dies."

[He watches the wispy clouds around Mount Fuji, as the sun starts to set. The
clouds slowly fade away, almost as if they were climbing towards heaven...]

Sato: Good fortune, Kuonji Ukyou. You'll need it.

finis.

Loneliness - a state of mind
Feels like you're a step behind
When you're down and need a friend
I promise you, I promise you
I'll be there to the end

When you've gone and lost your way
This's what I've got to say
Love can hold your head up high
I promise you, I promise you
I won't say goodbye

Down from the low, into the high
Might as well enjoy the ride

I promise you I won't know what to say
And I promise you I'll say it anyway
I promise that we'll leave it all behind
I promise that we'll have enough time
In a moment, come tonight
I promise you it'll be all right

Credits :

Writers..............: David Tai
Paul Gallegos
John Walter Biles
Jeffrey Paul Hosmer

Story Artists........: Anastasia Moreno
Jong Man Hwang

Outsider's FAQ.......: Jon K. Hayashi

Special Thanks to....:

The Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS)

And of course Rumiko Takahashi

| Copyright (c) 1996 Digital Knight Communications |
| "Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1996 |
| Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
| and Rumiko Takahashi |