[Ranma/XOver][SongFic] Baby Grand: Duet With Ryoga

1 view

Ted Hsu

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

"Baby Grand: Duet With Ryoga" by Ted Hsu.

"Baby Grand"
originally sung by Billy Joel and Ray Charles, music and words by Billy
Joel story and "video" copyright 1998 Sole Brother Productions.

It was a Friday in Nerima.

Four people, John, Caroline, Stephen and Ted were playing tourist in
Nermia. They come in to a familiar-looking okonimiyaki place..

JOHN: Where are we?
STEPHEN: Lost! And Hungry! That's where!
CAROLINE: We're not lost! Look..that sign says.."Ucchans"?
TED: You don't suppose..?
JOHN: Only one way to find out..

(Ted notices a sign outside.)
TED: What day is today?
JOHN, CAROLINE AND STEPHEN: Friday!
JOHN: You forget your watch, Ted?
TED: No..but look at that!
(Ted points to the line that's on an Ucchan's poster: Friday: "Formal
Friday" with in-house musician.)

CAROLINE: Interesting..let's go in.

(They go in.

Ryoga Hibiki is playing a grand piano in a tuxedo. The music sounds
good to great. Soon there is a break in performance. As the others get
seats and orders, Ted goes to Ryoga.)

TED: (in Japanese) Great playing up there, man. You know how to play
the keys well.
RYOGA: Thanks.
TED: You know any duets? I know a great song that can be played for
two pianos.
RYOGA: Such as?
TED: "Baby Grand" by Billy Joel and Ray Charles. Your playing would
make it sound perfect.
RYOGA: You really think so?
TED: How about we talk some more when you're done..and we can work
something out, maybe? You sound like someone I want to play music with.

(A week later, in front of an audience, there is a second grand piano
there for the night. While Ryoga's still in tux, Ted has a black suit
and tie, with yellow shirt.)

JOHN: How did Ted talk him into this?
CAROLINE: Supposedly he mentioned that this guy..Ryoga Hibiki..was the
next best piano player to Harry Conick Jr. and Ralph Sharon. With the
help of a local girl, he got the backing to cut an album with the guy.
STEPHEN: He got the short end if that girl is who I think it is..

(Nabiki Tendo and the rest of the "gang": Akane, Kasumi, Dr. Tofu, Ranma
and Akane look on as Ted and Ryoga play piano duets.)
RANMA: How did Ryoga get talked into this?
NABIKI: That Chinese guy buttered him up. He liked Ryoga's "sound" and
wanted to cut a record with Ryoga.
AKANE: You did let him off easy, didn't you?
NABIKI: In return for a part of the proceeds. I heard the sound and
realized this could be a gold mine.

(Ukyou Kuonji looks on after serving some customers. Her warm approving
smile gives Ryoga the go-ahead as the two pianists play a special song,
a duet she saw them rehearse many times before..)

RYOGA: (sings with melancholy and warmth as he plays his grand piano)
Late at night, when it's dark and cold, I reach out for someone to hold,

when I'm blue, when I'm lonely, she comes through..she's the only one
who can,
(singing as he pats the piano) my baby grand is all I need...

TED: (looking like an older Ryoga as he sings on HIS piano, with that
same soulful mix of melanchly and warmth) In my time, I've wandered
everywhere,
around this world, she would always be there,
any day, any hour..all it takes..is the power in my hands..
(points to the piano as he sings) this baby grand's been good to me..
(spoken to Ryouga) All right?

RYOUGA: (spoken to Ted) All right..
(sings) I've had friends, oh, but they slipped away,
TED: (sings) And I've had fame, but it doesn't stay,
RYOUGA: (sings) I've made fortunes, spent them fast enough..
TED: (sings) As for women, they don't last with just one man,
(pats the piano as he sings) but my baby grand is gonna stand by me..

RYOGA: (sings) Oh..they say no one's gonna play this on the radio..
TED: (spoken to Ryoga) What? I don't believe it.
RYOGA: (spoken Ted) Don't believe it do you?
(sing) They say the melancholy blues were dead and gone..
TED: (sings soulfully) But only songs like these, played in minor keys,
keep those memories holding on..

RYOGA: (sings) I've come far from the life I strayed in,
TED: (sings) And I've got the scars from those dives I've played in,
RYOGA: (sings) Now I'm old and I'm weary..
TED: (sings) And in my bones, every dreary one-night stand,
(sings as he pats the piano) but MY baby grand is coming home with me,
with me..

RYOGA: (sings) Ever since this gig began, my baby grand's been good to
me..

(Ryoga and Ted sing "me" together as the music dies)

(Applause from John, Stephen and Caroline as well as Ukyou and the gang
there. Ted and Ryoga take bows, Ryoga prompted by Ted to relax and enjoy
the applause.)

Postscript:

Three months later, a CD and a video tape is released in Nerima. "Ryoga
Hibiki: At Ucchans Unplugged" is marketed and sold by a Nabiki Tendo.
It becomes a local hit as the easy listening music folk flocks to
Ucchans on Fridays..and relax with soothing piano, mixed in with
ballads, heart-touching songs and some wonderful music played by a young
man who let his soul tell him where his music should take him.

Author notes:
The idea was taken from Ray Haney's "Hidden Talents" series.
I always had a want to play music with folks from "Ranma 1/2" and this
seemed the best way to do it. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much
as I enjoyed writing it.