[Ranma][FanFic] The Pursuit of Happiness - Act 2, Part 3

RpM - acct4/5

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98

< > - English
// // - emitted from a P.S. system, telephone, or other
electric medium.

===========================
The Pursuit of Happiness
ACT 2
The Kings of Nerima
Part 3
Major Arcana
===========================

[Furinkan High, Lunch Hour]

"Good days these are, my friend," said Hiroshi happily. "Good
days indeed."

Daisuke scowled and paused in mid-count of a handful of yen.
"Shut up, man, you'll make me lose count."

"Hi boys," said one voice, definitely female and somewhat
sultry.

"So, I heard you boys were really cleaning up in the
tournament, hm?" said the other female voice.

Daisuke froze, wide eyed, frozen in mid-yen-count, while
Hiroshi had enough presence of mind to stuff his fist full of yen
in his pockets.

"Um, ah, hey!" stumbled Hiroshi. "Sayuri! Yuka! Ladies! Um,
hey!"

Yuka settled down demurely by Hiroshi while Sayuri took a seat
next to Daisuke.

"So, what'cha gonna do with all that money?" asked Sayuri,
idly running a finger over the fistful of cash that was still in
Daisuke's hand.

"Oh, well, nothing much, really," stuttered Daisuke. "I mean,
we still have to gamble on today's matches."

"Yeah, what he said," added Hiroshi, definitely uncomfortable
with the way Yuka was suddenly so friendly with him. There were
warning bells going off in his mind, but the heat generated by
the nearby female contact was short-circuting most of his
suspicion functions.

"How DO you end up picking the winners all the time?" asked
Sayuri coyly.

"Um, well, gosh, it's nothing, really." stammered Hiroshi.

"We just, well, we know these guys pretty well, so we know
what to expect," said Daisuke.

"I don't suppose, you'd, oh, tell us who your picks are for
the next round, Daisuke-chan?" Sayuri blinked cutely and leaned
against him ever-so-slightly.

"Um, sure, I guess," said Daisuke.

"Don't see why not," said Hiroshi, smiling nervously.

-*-

"... and Copycat Ken is the final pick." Sayuri flipped her
notebook closed and tucked it away in her pocket. "It worked
like a charm, just as you said it would, chief."

Nabiki smirked. "Of course it would. Like I told you, men's
minds are weak. With a wink and a smile, they become putty in a
woman's hand. Now... adjust our odds as follows..."

-*-

Somewhere in the streets of Nerima, a young girl was strolling
about and humming happily. The long streams of the headband she
wore flowed with the wind. She took a deep breath and enjoyed
the moment.

These were good days indeed.

Her path towards repeating as the champion of the King of
Nerima tournament was free and clear so far.

And she was even getting...

"Excuse me... aren't you..."

She nodded.

"Kasugano-san! Can I have your autograph!"

"Sure, no problem."

It was a good time to be the reigning King of Nerima... even
if the title should've technically been Queen.

-*-

Currently sitting at the bar, staring out the window, Ryoko
Muhoshin was following a time-honored tradition amongst bar folk.

Ryoko Muhoshin was mulling.

Normally, her older brother would be doing this sort of thing,
but she'd observed far too much in the past month to ignore
things.

She was, although she disliked the term, stalking Ryouga.

Whenever she had time off from the cafe, she'd spend her time
watching from afar as he made his way through school. Her heart
would reach out for him when he was lost and frustrated,
wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood. Her heart would
sing with passion as she watched through his window and watched
him sleep peacefully at night.

She fell into an absolute murderous rage when she thought of
what else she saw.

There were others. Other girls. Falling for Ryouga.

Her Ryouga.

The Kuno girl she despised easily. The arrogance,
haughtiness, and obscene manner in which she pursued Ryouga
infuriated her so.

There was that girl... the girl who often was seen with her
elder brother's weakling look-alike... Ryoko'd seen her looking
at Ryouga many times with the unmistakable look of love
unrequited. As long as it stayed that way, she didn't mind.

The next two, however... she was wondering if she was becoming
as mad as her brother.

There was a look, that _look_ in her eyes, when she was
looking at Ryouga sometimes. And the few times they talked
together, they seemed to be uncannily comfortable with each
other. And yet... it didn't make sense. Why, she wondered, why
did it seem that Akari and Ryouga were a little too close?
Paranoia? Her own anxieties?

There WAS something between Ryouga and Ukyou, though. The way
they looked at each other when the other wasn't looking. The way
she fussed over him. The way he blushed sometimes when he was
around her.

She denied it. He denied it. But Ryoko saw it.

This situation was a multi-faceted time bomb waiting to
happen.

The only question now was what to do about it.

-*-

Kurumi and Natsumi stood on the street corner, looking with
longing at the Tendo home. They'd always been treated well
there, even when it was revealed Soun Tendo wasn't really their
father. It was the only place they ever knew that felt like a
normal home.

But it wasn't their home, and they knew it. They weren't
worthy of it. Not yet.

"Do we really have to leave?" asked Kurumi.

"You know we do," said Natsumi sternly. "We must continue
training."

"I know, I know." Kurumi sighed. "I wish we could at least
say goodbye to Prince Toma."

Natsumi rolled her eyes. "You shouldn't be distracted from
the art by boys, Kurumi."

"Oh? Is that so? What about you and Ryuu? Hmm?" asked
Kurumi, poking Natsumi on the side.

Natsumi blushed. "I-I don't know what you're talking about,"
she said quickly.

-*-

------- Round Five ------

-*-

This was it.

This was the matchup of the day.

In the center of Nerima Stadium, Ranma Saotome warily eyed his
opponent.

This was not going to be easy.

Not because the odds were against him. He honestly thought
that if he went all-out, he'd win.

Not because of his fading endurance. Despite being worn down
by the constant and daily matches, he felt he had plenty enough
left to make it to the end.

Not because his opponent was the defending champion. It
didn't really count in his mind. After all, he was stuck on
Toma's Island when the tourney was held last year.

It was, however, going to be a bit tricky winning.

You see, Ranma Saotome didn't hit girls.

And the defending champion was a girl.

"Hi! I'm Sakura Kasugano," said the girl. "Nice to meet
you!"

"Hi. Ranma Saotome. You the reigning champion?"

She nodded cheerfully. "That's me!"

There was something awfully familiar about the girl. Short
dark hair, hand guards, white headband, and that stance,
definitely Shotokan karate.

There was something definitely familiar.

-*-

//AND FIGHTING IN THE NAME OF TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND LOVE....
MAGICAL GIRL KURUMA!!!//

The crowd cheered wildly as the sailor-fuku clad girl flew in
from the sky, her Power Staff of Love in hand. She waved to the
crowds and got a magnificent roar of approval in response.

//AND FROM THE UNORTHODOX WEAPONRY SCHOOL OF MARTIAL ARTS, RYO
MUHOSHIN!!!//

Kuruma blinked. Muhoshin?

Oh no.

Ryo walked to the field with an arrogance more powerful than
some battle auras. The grin on his face reminded her very much
of a shark.

As he walked up to Kuruma, Ryo bowed slightly and raised an
eyebrow. "Say," he said. "Haven't we met before?"

They had, and this time she wouldn't be able to call the
police.

-*-

The first words out of Ryouga's mouth when he saw his opponent
was this:

"Oh no."

The man was... well... big.

He defined the phrase 'big man'.

Sumo wrestlers looked like infants compared to him.

The Dojo Destroyer was a size medium next to him.

This man was just _big_.

He'd seen him once before, during one of the many times Akane
had been kidnapped, but that still didn't help his feeling that
this match just wasn't going to be pleasant.

//RYOUGA HIBIKI VS. MUU!//

Ryouga just boggled at the hulk. "Muu?"

Muu replied in an odd, slow sort of animalistic "Muu" of his
own.

This, thought Ryouga, was not good. From the stands, Ukyou
cheered him on, which, in Murphy's Law, was sure to mean he was
going to make an utter fool of himself. He really hoped this
match would be much less... embarrassing than his previous ones.

-*-

This was embarrassing.

"Hadouken!"

Ranma ducked as another blast of ki flew past. A small strand
of hair smoked, singed by it.

Akane always told him this would get him in trouble one day.
He just didn't think it would happen. She sighed and shook her
head as she watched the match continue.

"Sempuukyaku!" Sakura spun in the air, leg extended, and
struck at Ranma multiple times. He blocked easily, but still
felt the power behind those kicks.

He _really_ was reluctant to hit her.

There was an unexpected pause in the match. Ranma blinked,
frozen in a defensive stance as Sakura stood there, frowning, her
arms crossed and foot tapping the ground.

"Just WHAT are you doing?" she demanded to know.

"Huh?"

"You're not attacking! We're," she looked at a nearby clock,
"THREE MINUTES into the fight and you haven't thrown ONE punch at
me! What's the deal?"

Somewhere in the crowd, Akane was burying her face in her
hands.

"I... I don't like to hit girls, okay?" he answered,
irritated.

"Well that's a chauvinistic viewpoint, you jerk."

The crowd 'ooh'ed. Personal insults. This was good.

"You're probably not man enough to take me on anyway!" Sakura
taunted.

"What?! Why you..."

She stuck her tongue out and taunted. "Nyaaaaaah!"

Right. That was it. He knew of an alternative to winning, a
Anything Goes Pressure Hold Knockdown technique. It was designed
to knock out an opponent using pressure points.

There was a big drawback.

It was created by Happosai.

Needless to say, the points to be pressed were going to make
him look like a real pervert.

But hey, he figured, he was already looking like a real jerk,
and his reputation was damaged anyway from the Hinako incident.

"Ah, what the hell."

*GLOMP*

"EEEEEK!"

-*-

//IN FIFTEEN POINT THREE SECONDS, RYO MUHOSHIN!!!//

The crowd stared in disbelief.

Magical Girl Kuruma remained still on the ground, her face
planted in the dirt.

Ryo Muhoshin gave a slight bow to the audience, still
grinning, and walked away as arrogantly as he'd arrived.

-*-

-THWAP-

"Muu."

-THWAP-THWAP-THWAP-

"Muu?"

"DAMMIT! FALL DOWN ALREADY! HYAH!"

-THWAP-

"Muu."

Ryouga retreated a safe distance, getting his breath back
back, and stared at the monolithic Muu. It was aggravating that
Muu didn't seem to be affected at all, but it was baffling that
Muu had gotten this far in the tournament. After all, he was
spectacularly slow.

He looked, briefly, into the stands. It seemed Ukyou was
yelling something. Ryouga strained to listen through the roar of
the crowds what Ukyou was trying to say.

Finally, he heard.

No... that couldn't be right, could it?

Ryouga looked at the massive Muu one more time, and thought it
over. Muu, and the plan, were both just stupid enough to work.

Ryouga walked up to Muu solemnly and held his fist out. Muu
looked confused for a moment, then a spark of recognition hit
him. He held his fist out in a likewise manner.

The crowd held its breath.

"JAN-KEN-POW!"

Ryouga had a rock. Muu had scissors.

//WINNER: RYOUGA HIBIKI!!!//

The crowed nearly facefaulted.

"Wow," said Ukyou, "it really worked."

-*-

---------INTERMISSION---------

-*-

Once again, at King's Cafe...

"So, what's with the big slap mark on the face, Ranchan?"

Akane gave Ranma a slight glare as he winced. "I don't wanna
talk about it."

"Hey hey, here's the man that beat last year's champion!"
cheered Hiroshi as he and Daisuke made their way to the table.
"Congratulations, man! And may I say you did it in fine style!"

"That he did," said Nabiki wryly as she joined them.

"Shut up, you guys!" snarled Ranma.

Akane whapped him on the back of the head. "Pervert!"

"Hey! What'd ya do that for?!"

"For being a jerk, that's what!"

"Hey, I don't hit girls!"

"Wait... so if he didn't hit girls," asked Ukyou, "how'd he
win."

"I don't wanna ta-"

"I'll tell ya!" said Daisuke. "Pressure points!"

Ukyou and Ryouga gave blank stares. Akane continued to glare
at Ranma, who was at this point looking terribly embarrassed.

"Pressure points?" asked Ryouga.

"What's so bad about..." asked Ukyou, thinking it over. "Oh.
The pressure points... exactly where were they?"

Ranma grumbled.

"Didn't hear ya, Ranchan," said Ukyou. "What was that?"

"He won't tell you," said Nabiki, pulling out a camcorder.
"But you can see for yourself here."

"Oh hey, thanks."

Ranma's eyes widened and he lunged for the camera. "Give me
that!"

-CLANG-

_thud_

"Just hit <play>, Ukyou. It's already at the good bit."

Ukyou put her spatula away then looked into the eyepiece of
the camera and hit the <play> button.

Her eye widened and she blushed.

"Oh my."

Ryouga nudged Ukyou. "Hey, lemme see." She rewound back a
bit then handed him the camera. As he watched, his eyes grew
wide.

"Jeez. He really is a pervert... oh, that explains the slap
on the face... and down she goes."

"They got the results of this round on line yet?" asked Ukyou.

Nabiki opened her laptop. "Good question. Let me check."

- The King of Nerima Tournament -
Day 3 Results

Saotome Ranma d. Kasugano, Sakura
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Happosai d. Monron
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Muhoshin Ryo d. Magical Girl Kuruma
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Copycat Ken d. Won Ton
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Hibiki Ryouga d. Muu
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Konjou Mariko d. Kaede
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Kumon Ryuu d. Shingo
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

Rodumanu d. Yojojimbo
(recap) (statistics) (highlights)

-more- -previous results- -main- -statistics- -odds-

-next round-

Nabiki blinked. "That's surprising. They have the next round
lineup ready?"

Ukyou shrugged. "Hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

At this point, Ranma groaned as he made his way back to
consciousness, but nobody noticed.

- The King of Nerima Tournament -
Day 3 round 2 lineup

Saotome Ranma vs. Happosai
[statistics] [insider]

Muhoshin Ryo vs. Copycat Ken
[statistics] [insider]

Hibiki Ryouga vs. Mariko
[statistics] [insider]

Kumon Ryuu vs. Yojojimbo
[statistics] [insider]

-more- -previous results- -main- -statistics- -odds-

Ranma peered over Nabiki's shoulder and into the screen. "Aw
man! Not the old freak!"

Nabiki was pleased. Everything was going according to plan so
far. The people who were supposed to be winning were winning,
and at the rate things were going, there was a great potential
for an upset.

It seemed almost too well arranged, and according to some of
her sources it _was_ well arranged.

Things were coming to a close soon. Now was the time to make
sure certain variables were going to behave in the manner they
should.

-*-

"Did you really have to be so violent today?" asked Akari,
leaning on his shoulder.

Ryo gave a good imitation of a warm smile and patted Akari's
arm. "It's part of being a martial artist. Didn't we have this
discussion?"

"I know," said Akari, "but seeing you like that scares me."

Ryo hmmed for a moment, then shrugged and reached for his
drink. He lifted it for a moment, then shook it slightly.

"I'll be right back, darling. Drink's empty."

He strolled over to the bar, twirling his umbrella, and took a
seat. The bartender seemed to be busy with other customers at
the moment. He hated waiting, but there seemed to be no other
choice.

"Mr. Muhoshin, I presume?"

He turned around. "Nabiki Tendo, yes?"

She nodded and took a seat next to him.

"You know," said Nabiki, looking at the drink list, "I've
heard there's someone behind the scenes fixing the arrangements
on the fights."

"Is that so?" he replied cooly. "I wouldn't know."

"If it was true, then I'd be curious as to the motive," said
Nabiki. "Like, say, money?"

Ryo stood perfectly still and silent.

"Or perhaps a personal vendetta..."

Ryo coughed.

"Against one of the fighters..."

Ryo blinked twice.

"And I wonder if... any of the fights were fixed?"

Ryo remained still. Nabiki smiled.

"Mm-hm. It certainly does seem that Ranma and Ryouga have had
a tougher set of opponents than the rest of the field. Ranma
especially."

Ryo scratched his chin.

"At the rate they're going, they might not have much left if
they make it to the final round."

Ryo whistled innocently and looked off into the distance.
Nabiki paused a moment, then shrugged. As long as none of the
fights were going to be fixed (without her knowing about it),
then she didn't have a problem with it.

"See you 'round, Muhoshin."

"Adieu."

-*-

------- Round Six ------

-*-

[Furinkan High Soccer Field]

It was, to those in the know, a possibly great fight in the
making. One was the founder of Anything Goes Martial Arts and an
infamous man whose reputation was known from Japan to China and
probably quite a bit beyond. He was quite possibly the most
perverted old martial arts expert in Japan. He was the Master.

//FROM THE ANYTHING GOES SCHOOL OF MARTIAL ARTS, HAPPOSSAI!//

"Hello, Ranma."

The other was the most promising student of Anything Goes
Martial Arts, a student that had often fought the Master to a
standstill. On the occasions in which he had triumphed over the
Master, it was not due to his tremendous skill, but his master's
terrible weakness to women's undergarments.

//ALSO FROM THE ANYTHING GOES SCHOOL OF MARTIAL ARTS, RANMA
SAOTOME!//

"Hey, old freak."

The Student really didn't like the Master.

//FIGHT!//

For a while, the two just looked at each other. Ranma
examined Happosai warily, while the old man looked at Ranma with
amusement. Any words they'd say at this point would be
redundant. They'd fought that much and knew each other that
well.

From those that knew them, a fierce and prolonged battle was
expected. Ranma had other plans.

Suddenly, Ranma gasped and pointed behind Happosai. "What a
babe!"

Ranma readied himself for the opening. Happosai twitched, but
he otherwise didn't move. To everyone, this was a great shock.
Happosai, the greatest pervert martial artist in the world, not
even peeking?

"Heheh, it'll take more than that this time, boy. I've been
training."

"Oh?" Suddenly, Ranma whipped out a bra.

Happosai just laughed.

"Why would I want that when I've got this?" he asked, pulling
out a bra of his own. "Take a gander at this! Top quality all
silk, with just the right amount of cushioning, AND the latest
from from the spring line of Megami's Secret!"

The crowed 'ooh'ed and 'aah'ed in appreciation. Even Ranma
was impressed.

"And the previous owner had a WONDERFUL body perfume!"

Somewhere out there, in the city, Kodachi shuddered.

"This baby'll give me enough energy to last for a month!"

It looked to Ranma like there was only one option left.
Hit'em while they're talking. After that, he'd just have to work
it out as it happened like he usually did.

"Why, with this bra I can take on th-ACK!" *WHAM*

The crowed cheered as Happosai was flung back from Ranma's
lightning quick rushing punch. Ranma followed his initial attack
with a flying kick, but Happosai dodged easily.

"So, that's the way it's gonna be, eh?" asked Happossai.
"Happo-fire-burst!" The old master tossed out dozens of small
bombs, far too many for Ranma to toss back at him. With nothing
better to do, he dodged and ran. The audience covered their ears
and closed their eyes as the explosions rocked the field of
battle.

In the stands, Hiroshi and Daisuke 'tsk'ed.

"He went for the bombs this early?" Hiroshi crossed out
something on a notepad. "I knew I shouldn't have bet on that."

-*-

Ryouga was at a disadvantage.

He didn't like to fight girls. The fact that he was fighting
on her territory wasn't good either.

"Two four six eight! Who do you appreciate!"

The field of battle was the Seisyun Gakuen High Soccer Field.
His opponent was their champion and heroine, known as...

"M - A - R - I - K - O! MARIKO!"

...Mariko Konjou, the champion martial arts cheerleader in the
district. The crowd cheered wildly as Mariko emerged into view,
leaping over the top of a human pyramid formation of
cheerleaders, a blond, short-haired, overly happy looking girl

From what he'd heard, Mariko was fast, agile, and very tricky.
Like fighting Kodachi, he thought, except without the fear
factor.

She landed on the ground perfectly on both feet, then waved to
the crowd with her pom-poms while jumping around. The crowd
responded with more cheers.

The chant of "MA-RI-KO!" could be heard echoing through the
field.

//MARIKO KONJOU VS. RYOUGA HIBIKI! FIGHT!//

Mariko opened the round with a volley of batons which Ryouga
deflected by quickly opening his umbrella. He returned fire with
a couple of tossed bandannas, but missed as the cheerleader
easily dodged.

"BATON CRUSH!" yelled the cheerleader, whipping a baton
outward. With lightning speed, it extended ten feet and nailed
Ryouga on the jaw. It was a strong enough hit to send him
staggering back a few steps.

Needless to say, the crowd went wild.

-*-

"Aaaaaagh!" -THUD-

"Try again, boy!" cackled Happosai. He was feeling good at
the moment, with the match being even thus far but with a little
momentum now going his way. The little momentum came in the form
of two pipe throws in a row, both sending Ranma skidding
face-first across the field.

Ranma charged again and Happosai easily hooked him with his
pipe, heaving Ranma over his shoulder.

"Heh, aga-WHOOOOAAAA!"

This time, Ranma managed to hold on to the pipe, yanking
Happosai upwards with him. In mid-air, they spun around trying
to establish control. Ranma gained the upper hand and flung
Happosai down to the ground, hard, then followed up with a diving
double kick that had the audience 'oooooh'ing in appreciation.

The women in the audience cheered.

Ranma dusted off his hands with a smug grin on his face.
"Heh, that was easy."

***BLAM***

-*-

With a wave of her hand, Mariko yelled "Ai no Toriko Kumo no
Ito Flying Tape!" and sent a rain of tape threads Ryouga's way.
He blocked with his umbrella, only to have it yanked away as
Mariko pulled back on the tape.

Ryouga was taken by surprise by the loss of his weapon,
leaving him open as Mariko took advantage and tagged him hard
with two quick baton crush strikes. Ryouga staggered back a
moment, then rushed forward with several kicks and punches which
Mariko seemed to easily dance around before she flipped safely
away again.

In an amazing demonstration of tactical thinking which he
would have lacked several years ago, Ryouga noted that her
agility was definitely a problem.

He wondered if she'd be so agile on shaky ground.

"BAKUSAI-TEN-KETSU!" With all ten fingers he stabbed into the
ground, setting off a chain reaction of explosions around him,
until most of the battlefield was turned into uneven clumps of
rock and dirt.

Mariko, taken by surprise from the force and range of the
blast, stumbled and fell as the ground under her feet turned to
rubble.

Ryouga grinned.

-*-

It was, the audience agreed, a grueling match. Master and
Student clashed at lightning speeds on the ground and in the air.
The match had more ki attacks than any previous one, making for
an incredible fireworks display.

Hiroshi and Daisuke were ready. They had their shades on.

"MOKOU-TAKABISHA!" A burst of energy shot from Ranma's hands.

The crowed 'ooh'ed.

Happosai's battle aura flared and manifested itself into a
forty foot tall image of the diminutive demon, taking the impact
of the ki blast easily.

The crowed 'aah'ed.

Ranma and Happosai both took to the air, meeting at the peak
of their jump with a flurry of punches and kicks. After an
amazingly long moment of hangtime, one fell flat on his face to
the ground. The other landed gracefully.

The crowd gasped.

Happosai smirked.

"Bwahaha! Had enough, boy?"

Ranma stood up slowly. He was also smiling, which also
confused Happosai. Then the old man saw why.

In Ranma's hand was the top quality, all silk, cushioned, and
latest in design bra from Megami's Secret.

Ranma grinned. "Heheh."

"Oh no! My precious!"

Happosai sprang forward desperately and recklessly, trying to
regain the source of his power. Unfortunately for him, he also
left himself wide open.

"TENSHIN-AMAGURIKEN!"

"Awk!"

Several hundred punches later....

//AND THE WINNER, RANMA SAOTOME!//

The crowd cheered, the women definitely louder than the men.

-*-

The audience was surprised at how the match between Ryo
Muhoshin and Copycat Ken was progressing.

Ken and Ryo were both impressive in their victories, but Ryo
was currently the leader in absolute domination with an average
match time of a minute and twelve seconds. This match had gone
well beyond ten minutes, and it wasn't because both fighters were
battling to a standstill.

Ryo was, for the first time in the tournament, being trounced.
The frequent change in tactics was clearly throwing him off his
stride, and by the end of fifteen grueling minutes Ryo was a
battered wreck on the floor while Copycat Ken only looked a
slightly worn down.

To add insult to injury, he was currently imitatting Ryo.

"So, had enough?" asked Ryo/Ken.

Ryo got up on one knee, looking very unsteady, and glared at
his imitattor with narrow eyes.

"Now to finish you off," said Ryo/Ken, pacing around Ryo
steadily. "Maybe... with speed?" he asked, suddenly morphing
into Ranma. "Maybe I'll cut you to pieces," he pondered, turning
into Mousse, blades dangling from his sleeves. "Nah, I'll just
do it the old fashioned way." Ken morphed into Ryouga and
cracked his knuckles. "I'll beat the crap outta... huh?"

Suddenly, Ryo was looking very angry. And the dark fiery aura
around him was somewhat disturbing too.

-*-

He had to admit it. He was feeling guilty.

//AND THE WINNER...//

Ryouga never did like hitting girls, and this match made him
feel like he'd been dishonorable. The boos and jeers from the
crowd certainly didn't help.

//RYOUGA HIBIKI!//

He sighed and looked at Mariko, who just beginning to get back
on her feet. Guilt being the wonderful motivator that it is, it
motivated him to help her to her feet.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked.

Mariko looked up at the boy who had beaten him. Was that
genuine concern she heard in his voice? Was that worry she saw
in his eyes? Did he care? She blushed slightly. He was really
worried about her.

She wondered how it'd feel to be in his arms.

"I..." she managed to say, then closed her eyes. Mariko fell
into his arms. Ryouga looked panic-stricken. Somewhere out
there, he knew Ukyou was watching.

"YOU CASANOVA!"

Yes, she was definitely watching.

What to now? He couldn't leave Mariko out here. He'd have to
carry her off to the sidelines, at the very least.

Unseen by Ryouga, Mariko's lips formed a slight smile. It
felt good to be in his arms.

-*-

Ryouga/Ken was slammed face first into the ground for the
tenth time in a row. Ryo, surrounded by a flaming dark aura,
pulled him up by the neck like a rag doll, then marched towards
one of the nearby cameramen.

"Stay RIGHT there," he snarled. A second later, he smashed
Ryouga/Ken's face into the camera.

//AND THE WINNER...//

"KIND OF OBVIOUS, ISN'T IT?! roared Ryo. He glared at Copycat
Ken once more, then strode off the field seething with anger.

-*-

[4th floor, Furinkan High]

"Saotome's in, boss. Just like everyone expected."

Nabiki nodded.

Sayuri checked further on her notebook. "Also in are... Ryo
and Ryouga. Still waiting on Ryuu vs. Yojojimbo."

"Any footage highlights of note?" asked Nabiki.

"The Ranma vs. Happosai match was a real light show," replied
Yuka. "We're sure to sell lots of copies of those. Oh yeah,
there's an interesting new rumor floating around..."

-*-

"You big womanizing pervert," sneered Ukyou.

"I didn't do anything!" protested Ryouga loudly, drawing looks
from the other pedestrians as they walked down the street.

"Yeah, right. So what's that lipstick mark on your face,
huh?"

Ryouga stopped. "Lipstick? What lipstick?"

She swung out her spatula and held the flat end out in front
of Ryouga's face. He winced.

"Look in the reflection, idiot."

Ryouga blinked, looked up, then quickly tore off a bandanna
and wiped off a lipstick mark on his cheek.

"I-it didn't mean anything!" he stuttered.

"Whatever. C'mon, the guys are waiting for us." She took him
firmly by the hand and and started them moving through the crowds
once more.

"The cafe again?"

Ukyou nodded.

A few minutes later, they made their way through King's cafe,
where it seemed all of Nerima's martial artists were hanging out
lately. Ranma, Akane, and quite a few others were seated at one
of the long tables. Hiroshi and Daisuke were tallying their
gambling hits and misses for the day. Sayuri and Yuka were there
as well, accompanying the boys. Prince Toma and Ryuu Kumon were
there as well.

"Hey guys!" greeted Ranma.

Everyone else gave them a wave, except Prince Toma and Ryuu
Kumon. Both were in shock at the moment.

"I don't believe she left," murmured Prince Toma.

"Just like that," sighed Ryuu.

"Oh, cheer up! I'm sure you'll run into them again," said
Akane. In reply, both Ryuu and Toma sighed and stared silently
into their drinks.

"H-i-b-i-k-i-sama!"

Ryouga paled then dove under the table. "I'm not here!" he
hissed.

A moment later, a somewhat bruised but happy Mariko Konjou
pranced happily past, looking around. "Aw, I thought I saw him
here!" She looked around once more, then bounded away to another
part of the cafe.

Ukyou frowned and gave Ryouga a swift kick.

"OW!"

"She's gone now. Get up, jackass."

Ryouga cautiously rose back up to his seat. Ranma, meanwhile,
was grinning. "So, what was that all about?"

"It wasn't my fault," he said firmly.

"Ryouga's picked up a new girlfriend," said Ukyou.

"Why that sly dog," said Ranma smugly. "Ryouga, I didn't
think you had it in ya."

"Shut up, Ranma!"

Thus began another round of pointless Ranma-Ryouga squabbling.
By this time, everyone had learned to tune it out like the
background noise that it was.

"So, how'd your match go?" Sayuri asked Ryuu.

"Never thought a sumo guy could be so fast," said Ryuu.
"Yojojimbo wasn't easy."

"Yeah, he's the current leading rebounder in the cafeteria,"
said Hiroshi, not looking away from his notepad.

"Er, what?"

"Cafeteria. Rebounding," added Daisuke, although he too was
distracted with penciling in figures on his notepad.

Ryuu still looked confused. "Ah, right."

Daisuke looked up for a moment to stretch his neck, then his
eyes locked on to the nearby television, currently on the King of
Nerima Pay Per View channel. He tapped Ryouga on the shoulder,
effectively derailing the Ranma/Ryouga squabbling.

"Hey, Ryouga. I think you oughta look on the tv man."

"IF YOU HADN'T- huh? What?"

"The television. You. Look."

Everyone at the table looked to the screen, where a bruised,
beaten, and bloodied Ryouga was smashed face-first into the
camera's point of view.

//...and that was the end of the Ryo Muhoshin/Copycat Ken
battle...//

"Yow. That was surreal," said Ukyou.

-*-

In a park on Tokyo Bay, Ryo Muhoshin sat moodily on a bench,
alone. The night sky was rather beautiful. The breeze was
refreshing.

He didn't notice that. He was reading a note.

Muhoshin-san.

We regret to inform you that we've found employment
elsewhere. Good luck on the Unryuu scam, though
we really advise against it.

- Oritatami & Shoberu

-p.s. No hard feelings, right?

Ryo crushed the note in his fist and flung the paper away
angrily. He stood up, took a deep breath, and walked away.

A moment later, Tanya Noori emerged from the shadows. She
idly tossed around a crumpled note and grinned. The pursuit of a
goal, she felt, was always easier when there wasn't competition
around. If she played her cards right, things were going to
become easier.

She read the note one more time and shook her head. By way of
covert surveillance, she knew who the major players in Nerima
were. Akari looked nice enough. Rotten bastard, victimizing a
girl like that.

-*-

The people in 'Ranma's table' greeted Nabiki as she took her
seat. "Hi guys, sorry I'm late."

"Did they list the next round matchups yet?" asked Akane.

"Not quite yet," said Nabiki. "It's down to Ranma, Ryouga,
Ryuu Kumon, and Ryo Muhoshin. Though, if I was the one to
arrange the fights, I'd make it Ranma vs. Ryuu and Ryouga vs.
Ryo. Maximises the 'grudge match' quality."

"I dunno," said Yuka. "A Ryouga vs. Ryuu match would be kinda
neat."

"Oh? Why?"

Yuka tilted her head towards Ryouga, then at Ryuu.

Everyone at the table took a look at Ryuu, with his sleeveless
shirt, bandanna, and spotted leggings, then at Ryouga with his
sleeveless shirt, spotted bandanna, and leggings. A few snickers
followed.

"Hey, what's so funny?" asked Ryouga.

Ryuu shrugged.

-*-

Ryo looked at the roster list and frowned.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

There were only four fighters left: himself, Ryouga, Ranma,
and Ryuu.

He could take Ryouga on now. But that wouldn't make for a
proper climactic moment. No, his glorious battle against Ryouga
MUST be the last match of the tournament.

Then what of the alternatives?

Ranma vs. Ryouga?

No, certainly not. From what he'd heard, Ranma knew Ryouga
too well. He would surely win that match, and thus deny Ryo the
glorious ending he deserved.

Decisions, decisions...

-end part 3-