[UY/Ranma/SisPri][FanFic] Lonely Souls - Part 3, "A" Side (2/3)

1 view

pye...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2007, 12:14:00 PM8/25/07
"Please tell me this is some insane joke!"

"It's no joke, Ukyou. It's the truth."

Ukyou stared at Shampoo. Both were relaxing in the Nekohanten. The
former then shuddered. "Right now, I'm very tempted to make some
panda steak okonomiyaki! Fuck! You'd think that after all the shit
that jackass has put everyone through, I'd believe ANYTHIN' he was
said to have done to Ran-chan! But something like THAT . . .?!" Her
voice trailed off as she shook her head. "Damn it all," she whispered
before gazing quizzically at her rival. "Why aren't you or your great-
grandmother helping fix Ran-chan up?"

"It's being done by a person of an allied clan to the Nujiézú," her
host reported. "She's the adopted sister of Moroboshi Ataru. She's
also the grandmaster of the Tiger-Spirit Clan's Art: The Path of the
Supreme Life."

"Saikoo Jinseijitsu-ryuu? Never heard of it. Then again, I never
heard of Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu until I met Ran-chan." A pause.
"Then again, it's still shocking to me to see Moroboshi Ataru of all
people as a martial artist!"

"Hai, this one thought the same way until Hibaa-chan explained what
Ataru's honourless mother did to him," Shampoo replied. On seeing the
chef's confused look, the warrior-maiden then told her what Cologne
told her earlier.

Hearing that, Ukyou winced. "Shit!" she spat out. "No wonder he
said yesterday that he was glad his parents were dead!"

"This one agrees . . .! Oh, Hibaa-chan!"

Cologne pogo-sticked over to their table. "If you girls are
interested in visiting Son-in-Law today . . . " She held up a folded
sheet of paper with a wry smile. "Though I DO hope you'll both
exercise some caution given what his mood might be right now after his
encounter with Tendou Akane this morning at the park . . . " With
that, she handed the paper to Shampoo. "That is where Moroboshi Ataru
and Moroboshi Negako presently live."

Shampoo opened the note, scanning it before showing it to Ukyou. The
chef took the information displayed there in. "Kasuga-chou, huh?
That's not too far away. Let's get some things made up and take them
over for lunch."

Shampoo rose. "Hai!"

"Before you go, Ukyou . . . " Cologne reached into her jersey, and
then she tossed a small bottle at the chef. "Put that into your
batter mix."

Ukyou caught it. "What's this stuff?" She glanced into the bottle,
noting that it was filled with a reddish-orange powder.

"It's an herbal mix that's meant to help heal severe brain trauma or
other sorts of lasting neural damage," Cologne explained as she gave
the chef a knowing look. "I'm sure Negako's already giving Son-in-Law
something to help him heal. The more he takes in, the faster the
healing process will be."

"Sounds pretty logical. Why give this to me, then? And how can I
trust this IS what you say it is? For all I know, this could be some
sort of poison that might make me look bad in front of Ran-chan."

Cologne smirked. "My dear, it's simple. He knows you're not the
type of use poisons or any other sort of drug. Besides, if Son-in-Law
ISN'T healed, he won't be of use to ANY of us. Wouldn't you agree?"

Ukyou nodded. "Good point."

* * *

"We're moving to Tokyo?! Why, Mom?!"

Yoshino Mai gazed serenely on her daughter. "Tomomi-chan, you saw
what happened on the television yesterday, didn't you?"

Tomomi, a blue-eyed girl with long brown hair tied in a high ponytail
and a body that just made men's mouths water, considered her mother's
question. Both were relaxing in the Yoshino home in Kita-Hiroshima, a
suburb of Sapporo. "Hai, I did. But what makes you think Moroboshi
Ataru or Saotome Ranma can help us? It's been years since you or any
of the others had any contact with the factory, much less those
Niphentaxians who sent you here . . . "

"The factory's here, Tomomi-chan."

Silence fell like a guillotine as Tomomi stared wide-eyed at Mai.
Tears instantly sprang in her eyes as the potential implications of
THAT statement sank in. "No . . . n-no . . . they're gonna take you
away . . . n-n-no . . .!"

She flew into Mai's arms. The older woman cradled her child --
something few Avalonians could have ever contemplated having since the
Great Awakening and their enslavement by the Invaders -- close.
"Hush, dear! Hush!" she cooed to quiet Tomomi's sobbing. "Hush!
It's all right, dear! You know I've no link to the factory! That
happened the day you were born, Tomomi-chan! Hush!"

Tomomi shuddered before she pulled away, staring hopefully in her
mother's eyes. "A-are y-y-you sure, M-mom . . .?"

"Hai, I'm quite sure." Mai allowed Tomomi to compose herself. "Now,
we've arranged with the Fujikis for us to live at one of their
apartment complexes. They own one in the outskirts of Tomobiki, so
it'd be alright for you to attend classes at Tomobiki High." She
patted Tomomi's hand. "And you won't be alone, Tomomi-chan. Minako-
chan and Kyooko-chan will be there."

Tomomi's eyes instinctively fell on a picture of her and two other
girls -- her closest and dearest friends -- taken in a Tokyo park; it
was sitting on a side table beside the couch. Ikusawa Kyooko, a
native of Mito, northeast of Tokyo, was an aspiring fashion model.
Sawada Minako, a native of Maizuru, north of Kyoto, was a sports
fanatic who specialized in kendou and other martial arts; she had won
several prefecture championships to date.

And like Tomomi, Kyooko and Minako were half-Avalonians. Daughters
of specially grown bioroids, by-products of a giant factory
constructed fourteen millennia ago by an extinct race known as the
Sagussans, and then discovered eight decades ago by another race, the
Niphentaxians. For the "Invaders" (as the Niphentaxians came to be
called by the Avalonians), discovering the factory created a mass
market for cheap slave labour, especially of the sexual kind. But
unlike slave societies elsewhere, the Niphentaxians vigilantly kept
the existence of their beautiful bioroids a top secret from the galaxy
at large.

To the day Mai and her sisters were sent to Earth, that state of
affairs had not changed. For good reason. Like their mothers
(dispatched to Earth over twenty years before by a pro-Avalonian sect
seeking to finally emancipate the bioroids), Tomomi and her friends
were blessed with great physical and psionic abilities. That helped
them when dealing with the problems plaguing teenage girls their age.
In a positive way, of course; Tomomi, Kyooko and Minako were quite
popular at their high schools, both among their peers and their
teachers. They didn't take advantage of that, of course; atop it
being not ethical, it would ultimately attract all sorts of unwelcome
attention. Something that, given events in Tomobiki, bode ill for
them AND their mothers.

Tomomi's eyebrow arched. "So when we get there, you want us
to . . .?"

A nod. "Ataru-kun would be preferable. If you can coerce both Ataru-
kun and Ranma-chan to our cause, that would be all the better. None
of us know why the factory is here, but it's in synchronous orbit over
Tomobiki High. Sayuri-chan's, Masumi-chan's and Seina-chan's mothers
confirmed that last night. As to the 'why' . . .?" Her voice trailed
off as Mai gave her daughter a shrug.

Tomomi nodded understandingly. "Right."

* * *

"Toofuu-sensei, is that you?! Where've you been all this time?!"

A bespectacled chiropractor turned from hanging up his office
shingle, grinning. "Busy learning new things, Nabiki-chan." Ono
Toofuu then turned to draw Nabiki into a warm embrace. "For the
medical profession, much like martial arts, learning never stops. How
is everyone right now?"

Nabiki pulled away, sighing. "Good and not-so-good, depending on who
you're talking about, Sensei. A lot of things have changed."

Toofuu sighed. "I'd suspect the primary changes would concern what's
happening between Ranma-kun and Akane-chan. How are they?"

"Hard to say," her voice dropped. "Six weeks ago, they were within a
hair's breadth of getting married. I had to stop that
because . . .!" She stopped. "You know how it is, Sensei! They're
way too young to get married!"

"In that, I agree, but you know how much your father's pinned his
hopes on uniting the schools of your Art," he reminded her.

"Yes, I know. And if they were given the chance, I'm sure they'd
have been happy to get married sometime in the future. But guess what
happened? Not two weeks after the first attempt, Father and Uncle
tried to railroad them into another wedding ceremony, completely
ignoring the fact that Ranma-kun's got two other official suitors plus
a third would-be suitor in Kunou Kodachi! Well, after that fight,
Ranma-kun just went ballistic! And today . . . " Here, she stopped
again, shaking her head. "Akane pushed him over the edge."

He tensed. "And?"

"According to Kuonji Ukyou, Ranma-kun no longer wishes to have
anything to do with our family," Nabiki reported. "And according to
Onee-chan, Ranma-kun's finally reached his limit when it comes to
tolerating Akane hitting him. This morning, Akane learned that the
hard way. She's in hospital."

Silence.

"Ranma would NEVER hit a girl!" Toofuu stated.

"Oh? I take it you didn't see what happened yesterday on the TV."

"I did see that. And I can understand why Ranma-kun might've lost
his temper, especially after hearing how many people were killed in
that blast," he noted before blinking as something came to him. "Wait
a minute." He closed his eyes for a second before staring at Nabiki.
"How long ago did Ranma-kun meet Moroboshi Ataru? Has Ranma-kun met
Ataru's adopted sister Negako yet?"

Nabiki's jaw dropped. "You know Negako?!"

"Yes, I do. By the tone of your voice, I think you know exactly WHAT
she is, too. Has Master Happoosai told you anything?"

"Told us yesterday after the fireworks at Tomobiki High stopped," she
admitted. "Matter of fact, Ojii-chan told me today Negako-san
discovered that Ranma-kun's been taking on heavy damage in his brain
from all of Akane's mallet strikes and everything else that's hit his
head over the last while. To make sure he can heal, she manipulated
his shiatsu lines to break his inhibitions when it comes to hitting
people, especially those he cares for. And . . . "

"How badly was Akane-chan hurt?"

"Shattered right upper arm bone and ki-burns on her side when Ranma-
kun sent her from Hikarigaoka to the house with a Shishi Hookoodan,"
she stated before chuckling. "Damn, the others are going to freak
when they find out."

"Unless they're told the right way."

"Right," Nabiki affirmed with a nod. "I'll do that with Onee-chan
and Ranma-kun's mom before dropping the boom on Dad and Uncle. I
think when Auntie learns about that, not to mention another thing
Uncle pulled on Ranma-kun, any protests from him or Dad will be a lot
of hot air."

"I thought Ranma-kun's mother was . . .! Oh, hello, Elder! Shanpú!
Mùsi!" Toofuu glanced past Nabiki as footfalls heralded the arrival
of three Nujiézú warriors. "What brings you about these parts?"

"You of course, young man! It's good to see you again," Cologne
replied with a grin as Shampoo and Mousse bowed respectfully to the
chiropractor. The warrior-maiden had a take-out box in hand for when
she saw Ranma. "I trust your trip went well," the elder then noted.
"You seem to have learned a lot."

"Indeed I did, Elder," Toofuu admitted.

"What of your problem with Tendou Kasumi, Doctor?" Mousse asked.

"Hopefully, the 'love madness' that clicked in when someone spoke of
Kasumi or whenever I saw her won't affect me while in her presence."
He stared knowingly at Nabiki as he added, "I can't be a doctor to
anyone if I lose total control of myself like that around your sister,
Nabiki-chan." He then sighed. "However, it does not mean I'm fully
rid of it, though."

"What do you mean?" Nabiki asked before looking past Toofuu as a
*toot!* echoed through the streets. "What the hell's THAT?!"

Hearing that noise, Toofuu jerked, sweat pouring down his face as his
glasses started to fog. "Oh, no . . .!" he whispered, his fingernails
then under dire threat from chattering teeth. "Why am I hearing THAT
sound HERE?!"

Everyone looked quizzically at the chiropractor as the road train
from the Toranoseishin Tower slowed down. "Eh?!"

"Ah! Ono-sensei! What're you doing here?!"

Toofuu jolted before turning, a chuckle escaping him as he waved at
the sisters. "Mamoru-chan! Everyone! Hello!" He scratched the back
of his head as his eyes scanned the passenger compartment for a
particular face. *Odd! The others are there. And I know their
brother and sister are both in Nerima; I've sensed Negako-san since I
came back here! But where on Earth's . . .?*

"Ya, Toofuu-kun."

He spun to see an amused Chikage gazing at him. "Chi-chi-chi-
CHIKAGE!" he screamed, nearly leaping out of his clothes at the
sorceress' appearance -- not that the others who had been speaking to
the chiropractor weren't ALSO taken aback by Chikage popping out of
NOWHERE! -- and then he feebly waved. "Ah, h-h-hello, Chi-Chikage-
san! You're l-l-looking well, t-today."

"Chikage-chan, SHAME on you!" Sakuya declared with a chuckle as the
road train stopped, the sisters then disembarking to join their
sibling and the chiropractor. "Honestly! Flirting around with a man
twice your age!" She wagged her finger at the sorceress, smirking.
"What would Onii-sama say?!"

"Sakuya-chan." Chikage's voice was thicker than molasses in its faux
sweetness. That phrase made Toofuu shudder as his glasses fogged
over. "It's not my fault that Toofuu-kun happens to be a fan of
occult studies and spent some of his training journey with both Ane-
kun and my grandfather learning all that he could learn from them."
She looked at him. "Ne, Toofuu-kun?"

"Ah . . .!" The chiropractor sputtered before gazing confusedly at
the sorceress. "Why, Marie-chan. Your complexion is almost gone!" he
declared, ignoring the fact that Marie was now standing BEHIND him.
"You should get out in the sun more often! It's only healthy! Oh,
hello, Michael!" he spoke to Shampoo. "My, you've grown. There's no
need for you to sit up on your hind legs like that, young man! I have
no snacks to give you . . .!"

"CHECKY!"

A huge eye loomed before him, causing Toofuu to scream as he
collapsed on his backside. Seeing him freak out at Yotsuba appearing
before him with her spyglass, the other sisters laughed. "Toofuu-
sensei's so funny!" Hinako said.

Yotsuba hummed before sighing as she lowered her spyglass. "It
appears that no matter how much Ane-chama tried to help him get over
this, Yotsuba can only conclude that Ono-sensei is still under his
love-curse."

"Ah . . . ha . . .!" Toofuu breathed out before relaxing. "Oh, THANK
you, Yotsuba-chan! I thought I'd never recover from that!"

Chikage shook her head before heading off. "Poor man."

The chiropractor warily watched her walk back to the road train. He
then blinked as Nabiki gave him a knowing look. "Nabiki, it's not
what it seems, for heaven's sake!" he immediately protested, waving
his arms in reassurance.

"Suuuuuuuuure, Sensei," Nabiki slurred. "I'm sure Onee-chan will be
impressed when I tell her this one."

She turned to head off. "Yotsuba will have to tell Kasumi-san that
Ono-sensei fell in love with Chikage-chan's previous incarnation,"
Yotsuba reported as she remembered what Ranma told her about the
middle Tendou daughter.

Everyone gazed at the would-be detective. "EH?!"

The London-raised sister nodded. "It's checky! Yotsuba heard Ono-
sensei crying about his beautiful Princess (who looks like an older
Chikage-chan) one day and how he had a nightmare about him not being
able to save her from some mean death-spirit in a castle. Yotsuba
found out Chikage-chan's grandfather sent Ono-sensei on an exercise
into some spirit dimension where he could learn to fight all sorts of
ghosts." She pointed to a pendant hung around Chikage's neck. "It
was so easy to check, especially since Chikage-chan's little golden
cross is the same as the cross Ono-sensei's beautiful Princess had!"

Hinako cheered. "Waaai! Toofuu-sensei can fight ghosts!"

"YOTSUBA!" Toofuu screamed out, totally mortified.

Marie swooned, clapping her hands. "Oh, it's SO romantic! To
actually love someone even after they've died! Such devotion!"

"Marie-chan . . .!" Toofuu moaned.

Everyone living in Nerima sweated. "Those girls are cruel," Nabiki
whispered. "I wonder if they treat Ataru-kun the same way!"

Shampoo nodded. "This one's not sure she wants to find out."

"Hey, Doc! What're you doing back here?!" a voice then hailed.

"Hello, Ukyou-san." Toofuu waved as the chef came up. Grateful
someone had arrived to divert his attention from his Princ- . . .! --
er, Chikage! -- he noted the take-out box. "Oh! Did you make that
for Ranma-kun?"

"Yeah, I did! I'm sure Ran-chan will definitely be glad to see you
back! So when did you get back, anyway?! Where'd you go?!"

"Toofuu-sensei came to Promised Island last year to meet Hina and
Hina's sisters," Hinako answered before Toofuu could respond. "That's
when Toofuu-sensei trained with Onee-tama and fell in love with
Chikage-chan!"

"Hinako-chan!" Karen gently scolded before the chiropractor could
descend into another bout of hysterics concerning the sorceress.

Hinako gazed innocently at her. "But it's true!"

Toofuu moaned. Sakuya smiled. "Well, if you're all looking to see
Onee-sama, we're heading there right now. She's staying with Onii-
sama and Negako-oneesama over at their new place. Hopefully, we'll
try to coax Onee-sama to take the travelling rainbow back to Promised
Island tonight."

Nabiki blinked. "'Travelling rainbow?'"

"Yes, it's a pretty fascinating way to travel . . . urk!" Toofuu
gargled on seeing Chikage glance his way. "Ah, ha-ha-ha-ha . . .!"

"Unfortunately, the normal ferry to the island's out of commission
because of engine troubles," Sakuya provided before waving the sisters
back to the road train. "Whoever wants to come visit Onee-sama, hop
aboard!"

"Aiyah! This one wants to come!"

"Wait for me! I gotta see Ran-chan, too!"

"Shanpú, why must you go to . . . *Quack!*"

Haruka quickly covered Aria's eyes. "Don't look, Aria-chan!"

The young Parisian blinked. "Did something happen, Haruka-chan?"

Cologne stowed the empty canteen of cold water she kept on her person
for emergencies like this before she grabbed the duck by the throat.
"Forget it, Mister Part-time. You're not going to make a bad
situation worse with your presence. Besides, you need to clean the
kitchen before the lunch rush comes in. Let's go." She pogo-sticked
away, Mousse honking as she dragged him off.

Nabiki looked at Toofuu. "I'll fill you in on some details later,
Sensei. I have to speak to Ranma-kun myself! Hey, girls! Hold up!"

She ran off to hop onto the road train. As it headed off towards
Kasuga-chou, Toofuu ducked behind a bush to avoid Chikage's glancing
his way. Seeing that exchange, Haruka shook her head. "Chikage-chan,
really!" she scolded as she glared at her sister. "Must you do that
to the poor man?"

The sorceress shrugged. "He makes me laugh, Haruka-chan."

Some of the sisters snickered. Seated together by the left-side
door, Nabiki, Ukyou and Shampoo exchanged a confused look. "Are ALL
these girls REALLY Ataru's sisters, Nabiki?" the okonomiyaki chef
whispered.

"Half-sisters. Same father, different mothers," Nabiki replied.

"Eh?! How did that happen?" Shampoo wondered.

"Search me . . . "

"Ah! Onee-tama! Everyone, it's Onee-tama! Onee-tama!"

Everyone jolted before they crowded the right side of the road train,
following Hinako's stare with their eyes to fell on a figure standing
by a telephone pole ten metres ahead. Sure enough, she was dressed in
the usual red Mandarin tang and jogging pants Ranma often preferred.
A large backpack with all the necessary camping supplies sat on the
ground beside her. And yes, she had the same body build and blue eyes
that Ranma had. However, her bright crimson hair was styled in a
graceful taper with long bangs and a bandanna holding it away from her
face. She was clearly missing a trademark pigtail.

"That's not Onee-chan, Hinako-chan," Karen noted.

"Sure looks like Ran-chan . . . " Ukyou mused, blinking.
"Unless . . . " She gasped before calling out, "Hey! To-chan! Is
that you?!"

The girl looked up. At that moment, a raven-haired girl, looking
almost exactly the same as the redhead, stepped out of a side alley, a
backpack no different from the first girl's slung over her shoulders.
"Huh?! Onee-tama has two sisters?" Hinako blinked confusedly before
jolting on hearing Ukyou's shocked gasp. "What's wrong?" she asked,
staring up at the okonomiyaki chef.

Both looked their way, their eyes widening on seeing Ukyou. "Hey,
stop this thing!" Ukyou called out to the driver. As the train
braked, she looked down as the two twins of Ranma's female self came
up. "Hey, To-chan! What the heck are you doing in Nerima?! And what
the heck happened to you, Ko-chan?!"

"Looking for Ranma, U-chan!" the redhead replied before sending a
mildly annoyed look at her raven-haired twin. "As for dumdum here,
she decided to have an accident at Jusenkyou when we tried to get some
Nanniichuan water for Ranma!" She then looked back at Ukyou. "Are
you going to see him?!"

"You betcha! I think he'll be damned pleased to see you two!" Ukyou
then gazed at Sakuya. "You mind them coming with us?!"

The eldest of Ataru's half-sisters winked knowingly at the chef. "I
take it they're the magic mirror-twins Onee-sama told us about."

"WHAT?!" Nabiki snapped, staring in shock at the two girls by the
road train before she turned back to Ukyou. "Wait a minute! How the
hell did they get free of that damned compact?! I put them
there . . .!"

Ukyou opened the door for the mirror-twins before helping them
aboard. "Well, I'm afraid Ran-chan and Happoosai didn't agree."

"Thanks." The redhead grunted as she set her pack on the floor
before she gave Nabiki a knowing look. "And yes, you are right, U-
chan. Ranma and Jijii DIDN'T like what you did to Kumiko-chan and I.
Neither did we."

Nabiki shuddered, remembering that as a woman, this love-starved,
would-be slut would not be bound by the "no hit girls" rule Ranma
followed. Ukyou jolted, staring at the brunette. "'Kumiko?!' I
thought you were gonna . . .?"

"Call myself 'Komakichi' like you proposed, U-chan?" she finished
before she shrugged. "Well, unfortunately, unlike Ranma, I can't
change back into a man with hot water. I'm stuck this way for the
rest of my life."

The chef gaped. "Oh, man! That sucks!"

"How awful!" Karen gasped.

The redhead shrugged as she faced the sisters. "Not really. In her
case, the curse mixed perfectly with the spirit that saw us created
back at Mirror Mansion. After all, the person whose spirit enchanted
that mirror WAS a woman." She noticed the others staring at her.
"Oh, dear! I'm sorry. We didn't introduce ourselves! I'm Saotome
Toshiko and this is my . . .!"

"Brother-turned-sister, Saotome Kumiko. Pleased to meet you all."
The brunette bowed respectfully. "So, U-chan, when exactly did Ranma
meet a yummy hunk-meister like Ata- . . . hey!" she gasped as Hinako
hugged her legs.

"Waaaaaa! Onee-tama has sisters!" Hinako gushed.

Everyone laughed, save Nabiki. She was busy staring at Toshiko and
Kumiko, her eyebrows twitching. *Ranma-kun, I'm gonna KILL you for
this!* she vowed before jolting as the image of a wounded Akane lying
on the front lawn on the Tendou home flashed through her mind. *Er,
on second thought . . .!*

* * *

The road train soon come to a stop before the Moroboshi home. Ranma
had been waiting by the main gates. Quickly noting who had joined the
sisters, her eyes widened. "Toshiko! Komakichi! Hey,
what're . . .?! Oh, MAN! What happened to you?!" she demanded on
seeing the transformation that had fallen on the woman born from
Mirror Mansion as a man later named Saotome Komakichi.

"Permanent curse courtesy of Jusenkyou!" Kumiko said with an
embarrassed chuckle. "Not that it bugs me in the long term! And it's
'Kumiko' now, Ranma. I . . . " She bowed her head apologetically.
"I'm sorry, but we couldn't get any Nanniichuan water for you. After
what happened to me, I . . . "

Kumiko shrugged. Ranma gazed on her before opening her arms,
allowing her mirror-twins to embrace her. The sisters discretely
passed by to give the Saotome siblings privacy. "It's okay!" Ranma
assured them. "I don't mind this as much as I did before. But are
you sure about this?!"

Ranma stared at Kumiko. "I'm sure! Relax!" she assured her with a
laugh as she and Toshiko pulled away from her, the former swatting
Ranma's shoulder. She then indicated Ukyou, who, with Shampoo and
Nabiki, had stayed back so they could chat with Ranma. "So what's
this U-chan just told us about the panda mucking with your mind before
he dragged you off on your training trip?!"

"And what happened between you and that mallet-happy lunatic,
anyway?" Toshiko asked as she indicated Nabiki. "Miss Yen-on-the-
Brain here just told me you got into a fight with Miss Mallets and
that you broke the engagement."

Nabiki sent Toshiko an annoyed look. Ranma sighed. "Long story.
I'll tell you later. Why don't you head on in? I'll talk to these
three alone."

Kumiko waved as they headed into the compound. "Okay."

Ranma watched them go before noticing Nabiki staring at her. "Why?"
the middle Tendou daughter wondered. "Damn it, Saotome, you know how
much trouble those two caused, especially Toshiko! I wasn't going
to . . . "

"Just because they were made by a magic mirror enchanted by the soul
of a girl who never knew real love before she died doesn't mean they
have no feelings," Ranma replied before staring on her would-be
suitors. "So what brings you here to see me?" she then demanded.
"Who told you where I was?"

"Um, Hibaa-chan did." Shampoo then tensed on sensing a storm of
anger, resentment and mistrust boil deep in Ranma's eyes. "Airen,
please! Don't hate this one for only wanting what's best for you!"
She bowed her eyes in shame. "This one was told what that honourless
panda did to you! This one . . . " She paused. "This one's glad
that clan-sister Negako can help you heal."

Ukyou bit her lip. "Y-yeah. Look, Ran-chan, I know this mess is
makin' you feel trapped, but . . . " Her voice trailed off. "Please,
don't hate me, Ran-chan. I only just want you to feel happy! What's
wrong with that?!"

Ranma stared at them. Reaching into her jersey, she pulled out a
thick envelope to hand to Shampoo. "Give that to your great-
grandmother. That's to pay for the food you've given to me since you
came here. Don't worry; I've repaid the Tendous for all the new doors
you blasted into their house."

Shampoo jolted, shaking her head. "No, it's not . . . "

"No, Shanpú," Ranma snapped. "That's the way it's gonna be. I told
you I was going to make this a level playing field. I've repaid the
Tendous for their hospitality. I've also repaid Ukyou-san, so now
it's your turn. Take the money. And I'll be gone until Sunday, so
don't come by here looking for me hoping I'd go on a date with you,
alright?" She turned away. "Good day."

She headed to the house. Ukyou and Shampoo watched her go, clearly
unsure as to what to do in the wake of this morning's events in
Hikarigaoka, and then they exchanged a look. "I'll give those to
him," Nabiki offered. After the fiancées handed her the wrapped
lunches, she nodded down the road. "You guys better go before he does
to you what he did to Akane earlier."

"Yeah, I guess so . . . " Ukyou hoarsely whispered before she stared
at the middle Tendou daughter. "Watch yourself, Nabiki," she warned
as she turned to head home. "Ran-chan's got no real reason to like
you, remember?"

"You better remember what Ukyou just said," Shampoo added.

They departed. Nabiki watched them, shaking her head before she
headed into the compound. Ranma stood by the door, arms crossed. The
sounds of laughter and chatter echoed from the living room. "So what
do you want to see me about, Tendou-san?" she then asked as Nabiki
stopped before her.

Nabiki set the lunch boxes aside before she took a breath. "Ranma,
look. I happen to know what happened between you and Akane today. I
also happen to know WHY it happened. I . . . " She stopped, lowering
her head. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing for something your sister did? I'm through
with all the excuses about her, Nabiki. I'm through with bending
myself backwards to accommodate her. Hell, I WAS willing to give her
a chance, the same chance I'm giving Ukyou and Shanpú. Who the FUCK
does she think she is, believing I'll keep on taking that CRAP from
her just to make her happy?! Huh?!"

Nabiki balked before an incensed shudder ran through her. "She's my
sister!" she then spat out as she glared at the redhead. "Yeah, what
she did to you was wrong, but her happiness mattered more to me!
Hell, to all of us! What the hell were we supposed to do anyway,
huh?!"

"Maybe instead of playing your stupid games, you could've come up to
me and explained a few things about what was going on! Did you ever
think of that or did you feel that was below you? Hell, I'd think you
would've realised from the start I'd be willing to help out if you
needed it! But no!" She shook her head, her voice picking up in
volume as she made a dismissive wave of her hand. "You just went off
and acted like I was a totally brainless moron, completely fuck up
whatever chances I could've got to make some real friends and maybe
try to settle my problems ahead of time! Even better, I just MIGHT
have spared your family some of the fallout that came with the crap
Oyaji pulled on me! And you STILL expect me to honour that worthless
agreement Oyaji made with that pimp you call a father?! Get real,
Nabiki! It ain't gonna happen!"

Before Nabiki could protest, Ranma jabbed a finger into her
breastbone. "And I've got an idea what you might do now that I put
Akane into the hospital. You'll march over to where your family and
my parents are, let loose the fact that *I* was the one who put Akane
into intensive care and let them freak out just to see me squirm.
Well, it ain't gonna happen this time! I don't CARE what your father
thinks! I don't CARE what Kasumi thinks, either! And I've got plans
in place for Oyaji! I can deal with Mom, too! They don't frighten
me! They don't hold my respect! They don't have a right to dictate
how I live my life anymore!" She leaned close to Nabiki as her battle
aura started to burn. "In fact, I want you to remember to tell Mom
this: 'Honour is a sword shattered on a rock!'" She pulled back from
Nabiki. Taking the lunch boxes Ukyou and Shampoo made, she tossed
them into a garbage can. "Now get off the property or I might decide
to have the cops go after you for child pornography! As a
professional model in both my forms, I have a right to do that! Ja!"

She headed inside. Nabiki watched her go, eyes wide with shock and
disbelief. "'P-professional m-model' . . .?" she sputtered before
jolting on feeling a powerful *presence* behind her. "Wh-who . . .?"

She turned around. "Walk with me, Nabiki," Moroboshi Negako ordered.

Without question, the middle Tendou daughter fell in beside the
ninjutsu grandmaster as they headed away from the house. Still
stunned by Ranma's words, Nabiki was unsure as to what she should say
when Negako gazed on her. "Perhaps simply asking her assistance in
helping maintain your family's finances would have served everyone
better, Nabiki," she mused.

Nabiki returned her gaze. "I a-a-assume you m-must be Negako."

"I am." A pause followed, as if she desired to let Nabiki hang there
in anticipation for a week, and then she carried on, "Threats against
someone do not always have to be physical. Psychological threats,
emotional threats, even simple invasions of one's private space, can
also injure someone. And unlike Akane, whom Ranma has tried to
forgive for her assumptions concerning her, you have been a constant,
consistent threat since the day she learned of your hobby of selling
compromising pictures of her female form to Kunou Tatewaki.

"If you had approached Ranma from the start, explaining the situation
concerning your family finances, she would have been pleased to
assist," Negako added. "Within reason, of course. If she did, she
might have discovered your own interest in Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu.
Perhaps even learned of what Akane did to you which forced you to
cease practising the martial arts."

Nabiki blinked, her face paling as Negako's eyes seemed to bore
through her defences, leaving her soul open for the grandmaster to
scrutinize to her heart's -- did this creature HAVE a heart?! --
content. "H-how . . .?"

"Your ki patterns are an open book to me, Nabiki," Negako reported.
"It is as easy for me to perceive your entire life's story by
analysing that alone, though I possess other means of comprehending
what happened to you throughout your life. As Happy told you, I can
easily repair the damage to your nervous system, thus giving your arms
full range of motion. If you desire it, of course. In fact, the
process by which I am helping Ranma heal can also be used by you. And
since the wounds to your nervous system are far less than Ranma's, I
can easily deal with your problem in three days." She gazed
tranquilly at her companion. "Again, if this is what you would
desire, Nabiki."

Nabiki considered that before turning away, taking several steps as
her mind rolled through what Negako just said. She then gazed
intently at the latter. "So what's your price if I agree to let you
do that?"

Negako's lips curled into a smile. "You are cautious. An admirable
trait. That is good." Closing her eyes, she then moved to stand
beside the middle Tendou daughter. "Nabiki, you love your family very
much, do you not?"

Nabiki nodded, blinking. "Yes." Where was she going with this?

"Then you realise that if Akane is allowed to continue being seen as
Souun's 'heir' to your branch of Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu, your family's
legacy could be lost IF Akane does not learn how to curb her temper,
plus dedicate herself into studying the Art more than she does now.
Correct?"

"Yes."

"Very well, then. Given your considerable skill in business, plus
your knowledge in your family's branch of Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu --
which can be augmented once your body is healed -- what do you think
your chances of allowing the Tendou doojou to expand would be in the
long term?"

Nabiki slowly nodded. "I'd say pretty good."

"Would you want to do that?"

"I . . . " Here, she paused before answering, "It depends." Taking
a deep breath, Nabiki turned away. "If you'd come three years ago
offering what you have, Negako-san, I would have jumped at the chance
to carry on with the Art. You're right. Akane was the one who hurt
me. Everyone from Toofuu-sensei on down said it was a training
accident. But seeing how Akane acted afterward, I think she didn't
mind my turning away from the Art . . . "

"Deep down, she loathed you for your skill and self-control," Negako
cut in. "Indeed, if you had trained as long and as intensely as
Ranma, you would be her equal in every way, perhaps even her
superior. Akane did not appreciate how good you were, so -- deep
inside her -- she felt it all right to cast aside considerations of
safety during training. Your injuries resulted from that."

"I suspected that," Nabiki mused before she stared anew at Negako.
"Look, Negako-san, I'd be the first to agree that Akane's always been
a spoiled princess at heart, but I care for her. I can forgive her.
Hell, she was only twelve then. She didn't understand what she did to
me!"

Negako returned her gaze. "Then it is time for her TO understand
many things. If she is to be what she states she is, she has to
confront all her limitations. If she does not, she dooms herself. Do
you want that?"

"Hell, no!" Nabiki barked.

"I did not believe so."

They continued to walk for a minute before Nabiki sighed. "Alright,
then." She gazed on Negako. "I'd welcome your help in getting me
back in gear. What do you want me to do in return, Negako-san?"

"You may feel free to reveal who injured Akane to your family and
Ranma's parents," Negako announced. "But as Ranma, in effect, asked
you to do, tell them EVERYTHING. I'm sure you know many ways to do
that."

Nabiki considered that, and then she nodded. "I do."

Negako's light smile suddenly returned. "Splendid. In addition,
feel free to tell them that since Genma's demonstrated incompetence as
a martial arts instructor and a father has led to the majority of
Ranma's problems, I will be speaking to Happy, as is my right as the
grandmaster of Saikoo Jinseijitsu-ryuu, about taking over as Ranma's
instructor. And should Happy agree -- which he will -- Genma will
have to defeat ME to win that back. He will not win. And should he
try to perform any underhanded manoeuvres . . . "

Nabiki smirked. "You'll kill him, right?"

A cold smile crossed Negako's face. "No, I will do much worse. I
will see to it every illicit act Genma has performed since Ranma's
birth will be brought to the attention of the police. Given the
thievery ALONE he performed, he will be on the run for the rest of his
life. Since I, as a responsible teacher, will endeavour to ensure
Ranma remains free of such an unhealthy influence, Genma will not be
able to . . . " Here, she paused as Negako sought the right wording.
"Slouch off the consequences of his avarice on his child."

"Cruel." Damn, she LIKED this girl/woman/whatever! "I'll do that,
Negako-san. I'll be back sometime later today or tomorrow."

She bowed before racing to the nearest bus stop. Negako watched her
go, a light smile crossing her face before she headed home.

* * *

"This can't be . . . "

Mendou Shuutarou shuddered as he watched the replay of yesterday's
events -- as reported by NHK -- on the wide-screen television in his
private study. On the screen, a person whom he found it IMPOSSIBLE to
believe was Moroboshi Ataru was busy shattering large sections of the
roof of Tomobiki High School, working swiftly to dig out those who had
been trapped in the wrecked northwest wing. The fact that this man
was working in concert with Saotome Ranma, one of Nerima's infamous
legion of teenage master martial artists, didn't concern Mendou one
bit. Given Saotome's legendary adherence to a strict code of honour
which demanded his presence at times of great tragedy, that he -- yes,
Mendou did know of Saotome's magical gender-bending curse -- had come
all the way to Tomobiki to help with the recovery efforts was simply
par for the course.

But Moroboshi . . .?

Moroboshi?!

MOROBOSHI?!

Quivering, the bandaged scion of the Mendou fortune clicked the PLAY
button on his remote. The scene switched to Moroboshi's vocal
confrontation with the Tomobiki High principal and two of the
teachers. Hearing him assert his pleasure that both his parents --
parents he no longer considered his -- were dead, Mendou grimaced. He
didn't know whether to feel pity or disgust at his rival's
assertions. Mendou's own parents were an odd lot, a state of affairs
he personally lamented on from time to time. And he HAD often heard
Moroboshi's mother assert right to her son's face, "I wish I never had
you!"

But to publicly welcome their deaths?

Why?

Eh . . .?

He didn't wish to come back?

He wouldn't come back?!

NEVER?!

Mendou shuddered, and then he blinked as he watched Moroboshi leave
the scene. Before Saotome could follow, an NHK reporter cornered
him. Ah, poor fool, to be mistaken for a girl. Didn't that reporter
realise the truth . . .?

Eh?

Mendou blinked before laughing on seeing Saotome fluster at being
asked if "she" was Moroboshi's new girlfriend. Poor fool . . .

WHAT?!

Moroboshi thought THAT about Lum-san? AND Shinobu-san?!

How DARE he . . .?

What . . .?

What was Yumoa Reigi doing there?

Eh?!

Moroboshi was getting an inheritance from his grandmother . . .?

Eh?!

Moroboshi's parents were now considered roonin?

What was going on here . . .?

Huh? What . . .?!

So Saotome now saw himself as Moroboshi's friend, eh . . .?

What?!

How DARE Saotome side with Moroboshi . . .?

WHAT?!

Mendou stared wide-eyed as Saotome used his special ki attack to
destroy that beautiful statue of Lum. How . . . damn him, how DARE he
do that?! How dare he SAY that?! Lum-san was the one who mattered,
not . . .!

A knock. "Young Master?"

Mendou shut off the television, calling out, "Come!"

The door to his study opened, revealing a Kuromegane. "Forgive me,
sir, but your father and mother wish to speak to you immediately."

Mendou nodded. "Of course."

* * *

"But, Otou-san . . .!"

Mendou Hajime puffed his pipe. "No, Shuutarou. Our minds are made
up."

Shuutarou was now seated across from his parents in their private
lounge. As typical for the old-fashioned, technophobic matriarch of
the Mendou Clan, Haruka, her personal assistant/human parrot presently
accompanied her. "Reigi-san is, as the guardian of Ataru-san's
inheritance, well within his rights to demand you leave the lad alone
from now on. The Mendou Conglomerate has maintained good relations
with Toranoseishin Finances and the Inshin Group for thirty years. I
do not wish to see those relations soured because of your unwanted --
and now unnecessary! -- obsession with Lum-san."

"Otou-san . . .!"

Hajime sent a piercing gaze at his son. "That is enough!"

Hearing the sharpness in his father's voice, Shuutarou paled. It was
VERY rare to hear Mendou Hajime speak with strong emotion.
"Shuutarou, whatever your feelings for Ataru-san are is not the
issue," the elder Mendou declared. "What happened between Ataru-san
and Lum-san is ALSO not the issue, especially now that Lum-san is dead
and Ataru-san is moving to get on with his life. You, Shuutarou, have
a profound obligation, to both your family and the Conglomerate. And
your mother and I, along with Asuka-san's parents, believe it is time
for you to see that obligation through to the proper conclusion."

Shuutarou gulped, bowing his head. "I . . .!"

Trapped.

For so long, giri had been an important part, if not THE most
important part, of Mendou Shuutarou's whole life. To deny that would
be, in effect, denying a large part of his very being. Yes, some
could say he had often acted in a questionable way when it came to his
classmates at Tomobiki High, especially when it came to the matter of
Moroboshi Ataru and Lum. But in comparison to his overall life,
matters in school had been trivial.

Until now.

Shuutarou bowed his head again. "Hai, Otou-san. I understand."

"Splendid." Hajime exchanged a look with Haruka, who smiled. "We
shall make an announcement about your engagement to Asuka-san sometime
AFTER the furore over yesterday's events has died down. Given the
interest your female classmates have expressed to you, we don't need
to shock them TOO much, do we?"

"Hai."

* * *

Unseen by them, a Kuroko nodded before slipping away to speak to
Ryooko. *The Young Mistress should be pleased to hear this.*

* * *

"WHAT?!"

Nodoka and Kasumi sat with Nabiki in the main cafeteria at Nerima
General Hospital. Akane was presently in stable condition, though she
was still unconscious. Souun had insisted on staying at her side.
Because of his crying fits, Genma had to remain with him. To Nabiki,
that was fair enough. She needed the idiots to stay away while she
was dropping some bombs.

"My son . . .?!" Nodoka gaped. "HE hit Akane?!"

"He was MADE to hit Akane, Auntie Saotome," Nabiki repeated.

"By WHO?!"

Nabiki sighed. She HOPED Nodoka might be calm enough to take this.
Oh, well, press on ahead . . .! "Moroboshi Negako."

"Why?!" Kasumi cut in, placing a hand on Nodoka's to help calm her.

"Brain damage."

Silence.

"My son?!" Nodoka gasped, nearly choking on her words.

Nabiki sighed. "Yeah. Now, here's the story . . . "

It took five minutes to reiterate. Sadly, the words Nabiki spoke
weren't enough. "I . . . " Nodoka breathed out. "Much that I
appreciate Moroboshi-sensei's concern for my son's welfare, I can't
accept a situation where Ranma is made to deliberately attack his
fiancée, Nabiki-chan. It is wrong! I demand to see this woman
immediately to have this stopped . . . "

Nabiki shook her head. "I'm afraid that's now impossible."

"Why?!"

"Because with the way this has been rigged, EVERYONE who has
threatened Ranma anytime in the past -- even verbally -- is now seen
as a threat and will be dealt with accordingly," Nabiki explained
before she pointed to the wrapped katana in Nodoka's arms. "If you
march into Negako-san's house carrying THAT around, I can guarantee
that not only will Ranma-kun see YOU as a threat, Auntie Saotome, he'd
gladly renounce you once and for all."

Hearing that, Nodoka keeled over. "N-no . . . h-he wouldn't . . . "

Nabiki glared at her. "Yes, he would. You want to know what he just
told me? He said that he doesn't CARE a whit about what I might
think, what Onee-chan might think . . . hell, you know how he feels
about Dad now! And he says he's prepared to deal with you AND your
husband! And if you don't think that's true, here's a message he told
me to tell you." A pause. "'Honour is a sword shattered on a rock.'
Guess what? The katana doesn't scare him now."

"Oh, my!" Kasumi gasped.

Silence fell as Nodoka stared wide-eyed at Nabiki. She began to
quake, pained sobs stealing her voice as the honour blade was dropped
to the floor. Kasumi moved to comfort her, but was swatted away by
Nodoka. The eldest Tendou cringed before she got an apologetic look
from Ranma's mother. Nabiki sighed as she gave Nodoka a neutral
look. "I've lost my son," Nodoka moaned.

"No, Auntie, you haven't."

Nodoka gazed wearily at Kasumi. "Why . . .?"

Kasumi sighed. "Because I believe I understand where Ranma-kun's
coming from. Auntie, please don't think your son has failed you. And
don't think you've failed your son. In truth, it is my family who has
failed your son."

Nabiki blinked. "Onee-chan . . .?"

Kasumi gazed at her. "Don't you understand, Nabiki-chan? Why he's
so angry? It's not just because of Akane-chan's abuse. It's not just
because of what you've done. Or what Father's tried to force him into
doing. And it's not because of my attempts at ignoring the problem,
either. It's ALL of that put together, Nabiki-chan. And I think
there's something else, too . . . "

"Being?" Nodoka gently prodded, wiping her cheek.

Kasumi gazed on her. "It's the fact that we've not lived up to what
Father promised your husband, Auntie. Don't you remember? Ranma-kun
gave us that money, but he expressly FORBADE Father from touching it
and he stated that none of that was to go into repairing the doojou.
Why? Because I believe Ranma-kun doesn't want to shoulder the
responsibilities of a united Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu ALONE! And by all
rights, he shouldn't! After all the things he's done for us, he
shouldn't have to try to support a doojou that has no real future in
it!" She gazed on Nabiki. "I've never been interested in the Art.
And after Mother died, I had no chance to really practice it even if I
wanted to. You were forced away from it because of that training
accident five years ago. And Ranma-kun can easily accuse Akane-chan
of not being a serious student in the Art. And what's worse, he'd be
RIGHT to do that! I . . .!"

Nodoka considered that before staring at Nabiki. "Is this true?"

"About me and the Art?" Nabiki nodded. "Yeah. I made it up to
rokkyuu before I had a bad accident with Akane-chan in the doojou. It
damaged the brachial plexus in both my shoulders. Toofuu-sensei told
me afterward that if I didn't stop practising the Art, I might end up
losing use of my arms. It . . . " She closed her eyes. "That hurt
me, Auntie. It hurt Dad, too."

"Are you implying that Akane-chan intentionally hurt you?"

Nabiki jolted before shaking her head. "NO! Of course not!
But . . . " She paused to take a deep breath. "I've always had the
better skill in the Art, Auntie. Akane's always been jealous of
that! And while she did . . . well, might've got out of hand when it
happened . . . " Her voice trailed off before she sighed. "I will
admit that after I was forced out of the doojou, she tried to take my
place. But Dad had his hopes pinned on me, so he might've . . . well,
I don't know." She threw up her hands as she shook her head.

Nodoka sighed. "I see. And what of this statement concerning Akane-
chan's abuse of my son leading to his current state? Is that true? I
know Akane-chan and my son have fought, but to believe it went THAT
far . . . "

Kasumi nodded. "Yes, Auntie. It's true."

"I see." The older woman took a deep breath before reaching down to
pick the honour blade off the floor. "So, in effect, you are saying
that my son may have some justification in ending the engagement
between our families."

The younger women exchanged a look before nodding. "Very well."
Nodoka rose. "I desire to speak to both my son and Moroboshi-sensei
about this first, but I also want a full recounting of what Akane-chan
has done to my son since the day they first met. I'll obtain that as
soon as possible." She gazed on Nabiki. "Nabiki-chan, could you tell
me where Moroboshi-sensei now lives?"

"Are you sure you want to confront Ranma-kun now?" Nabiki wondered.
"Remember what I told you about what he said . . . "

Nodoka nodded. "I know, dear. All that tells me is that my fool
husband has succeeded in destroying what rapport I could have tried to
develop with my son. I've no intention of just standing by and
allowing that to remain."

Nabiki rose. "Okay. Look, let me walk you over. It's not so far
away; Negako-san and her brother live in Kasuga-chou now."

"Alright, fair enough," Nodoka agreed before she gazed on Kasumi.
"We'll be back as soon as possible, Kasumi-chan. Please don't say
anything to your father or my husband about this. Is that alright?"

"Of course, Auntie."

* * *