[Ranma][Fanfic] a little sense 1-4

Gregg Sharp

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

A Little Sense?
by greggsharp, metro...@mindspring.com
http://metroanime.home.mindspring.com/

i don't own Ranma 1/2, all char trademarked by them that do.
timeframe: immediately after "Like Water For Ranma"
this story came out of the idea, what if you really could beat
some sense into someone...
then came the thought, "Phenomenon"
--------------------Day One----------------------------
"RANMA! YOU IDIOT!" Akane came charging
at him, a frying pan in her hands.

Ranma blinked, turned away from where he was
sparring with his father, and had enough time to think "but
I haven't done anything yet" before the cast iron impacted
his head with the usual result of transferred momentum.

Ranma flipped over in midair from the impact.
His head bounced off of one of the rocks in the yard before
he came to a final stop.

"Hmmmph. Guess that'll teach you..."

"Oh no," Kasumi had come up upon hearing all the
noise and stared at the stream of red flowing from Ranma's
head to soak the ground.

"Huh? Kasumi? Was I making that much noise?"
Akane's eyes tracked to what Kasumi was staring at and her
own pupils shrank. "R-Ranma?"
---------------------
"Uhmf," managed Ranma through the pain. "Urrrr."
He could hear Kasumi's voice muttering in the background.

*No sign of internal bleeding, though there was a
bone chip. We just can't afford the hospital. Please get
better, Ranma.*

"Uhm, Kasumi. Not so loud." Ranma groaned
again.

*He's coming to. Good, probably not as serious as it
looked. If only he and Akane could get along. I'm sure he didn't
throw out Akane's cooking to spite her.*

"Didn't do that," Ranma slowly moved himself up.
"Didn't throw her food out. Why was she cooking, anyway?"

*Oh my, did I say that out loud?* "She felt
encouraged by Mrs Saotome's instructions and wanted
to fix something."*Such a mess she made too. I suppose
I can't blame her for being distracted after all that.*

Ranma felt the bandages around his head. "Yeah
well, I'd have just escaped if I'd known she was cookin' - how
come none of you all ever..."

Ranma's eyes met Kasumi's briefly. Contact.

"What the hell..." Ranma managed, blushing and his
jaw ready to impact the floor.
Two little girls standing nearby, and a much younger
looking Soun Tendo. Soun was holding some woman's hand who
was lying in a hospital bed, various tubes and wires leading from her
body to some machines nearby.

Ranma realized his point of view was shorter, smaller
even than his female cursed form. He also couldn't seem to move,
like he was watching a movie that took up his whole field of vision.

Soun was saying something about how the woman
wouldn't leave, couldn't leave while her daughters were there.

The beep of the cardiac monitor turned into a
steady screech.

The wave of crushing grief that rose up to overwhelm
him was not his own. Ranma realized as thoughts not his own
passed through him, that this wasn't a movie.
Ranma saw other scenes/feelings in quick succession.
//Pride and joy at a first meal prepared "just like your mother used to."
//Taking Akane home from a visit with Doctor Tofu, and noticing
that the older man seemed to watch her awfully closely. This bringing
an unexpected surge of pleasure, as Kasumi realized that someone
desired HER as more than a mother-substitute.//Sadness at an attempt
to have a meaningful conversation with Doctor Tofu, only to see the
Doctor rushing out of his office carrying a skeleton with him. She
valued a sense of humor, but...//

//Watching your sisters grow more distant. One walling
herself off, the other finding solace in violence.//

//Shock and revulsion at the thought of being engaged
to another girl. Even if the other girl wasn't really a girl.//

//Watching as various youths declared that they would
go to Nekonron China to rescue Akane, and a tiny quickly-quenched
flame of jealousy. Would they have done this for her, or would wedding
plans be set? Would silly Doctor Tofu come and rescue her, or would
he just continue to be silly?//

//A lonely night where sleep would not come, as she
stared at the ceiling and wept about the unfairness of it all. She
was too homely, too boring, too responsible. Couldn't someone
want her for HER sake? Someone? Anyone? Please...//

//Tofu leaving about the same time that Ukyou appeared.
His mother had apparently arranged a good marriage for the good
doctor, Miss Bighips Tokyo in fact. She wondered if he ever thought
of her.//

//Sudden illness forcing her down. Akane was cooking.
The guilt she felt at not being able to meet those responsibilities
that she had taken over for her mother. Sadness at the thought
that out of her household NO ONE other than herself was both
willing and able to shoulder this burden. Indigestion as the miso
soup mix turned out to have traces of Akane's LAST meal within
it.//
------------------------------
With an effort, Ranma shut off the flood of memories
and looked away from those eyes. He didn't know HOW, but he
had a pretty good idea WHAT had just happened. He'd just
experienced Kasumi's life. He couldn't sort through it all right
away, but he'd just experienced nineteen years compressed down
to a few seconds.

It was almost as impossible as changing gender with
a splash of water.

"Ranma, are you alright?" *He must still be hurt.*

Ranma almost staggered from the wave of warmth
and caring from the older girl. "Uhm, yeah, Kasumi, I just think
I need to be alone, for awhile."

*With a head injury like that it isn't safe to be left
alone. Brave, foolish, Ranma-kun.*

"Oh, you know me, Kasumi. I'm used to it. My head
gets pounded on all the time."

"Oh...my." *I KNOW I didn't say anything that time.
Has he suddenly gotten observant? Or maybe he just knows
something about concussions as he's gotten so much of them.*

"Yeah, that's it, always getting...pounded." Ranma's
voice trailed off as he realized that Kasumi wasn't talking. He
knew she had realized the same thing.

*Ranma's...reading my mind?!* A quick flash of
shame as she wondered what had been revealed to this brash
young man. At least he didn't know about...

"It ain't like that!" Ranma backed up as if he were
afraid Kasumi was going to hit him. Blushing at the image that
had suddenly appeared before him. The accusation in her eyes
was enough of a blow. "I didn't mean to...I wasn't...I didn't see..."

*So...he knows.* Guilt/shame/embarassment/pity/
annoyance/sadness/loneliness/fear. Her expression never
changed. "Ranma...I am not going to hit you."

"Kasumi, I know you're not Akane. Oh boy, do I
know you're not Akane." Ranma was still sorting through
the sensations/information he'd gotten from that brief moment
of eye contact. He felt he knew Kasumi better now than he'd
ever known anyone in his life. He knew her as well as she knew
herself, better even, as she had never been able to look at her
from outside herself. "I...can you keep this quiet? I don't want
anyone to think me any more of a freak than I already am."

"Well..." Kasumi hesitated. Fear again pulsing upward.

It hit Ranma like it was a physical attack. "No!" His
eyes sought out Kasumi's again. "No, Kasumi, don't be scared.
Please, please help me." He wanted so bad to have someone to
confide in, someone to talk to, someone who wasn't going to
constantly pound on him or sell him. He felt the NEED to make
her understand!

Kasumi blinked.
---------------------------------------
//Pleading with his father, not again, not into the
pit again! Tied up, helpless, and thrown into a restless and
hungry dark. Betrayed.//

//A slap from his father, the older man yelling
about getting him a dress. He was weak, he was stupid, he
was fearful, therefore he was acting like a girl and should
dress the part. Ranma swearing he would never be weak,
that he would yet make his father proud.//

//Crying one night. Friends abandoned yet
again. His Ucchan, his best friend ever, though the other
boy was a little clumsy. Still, if it were necessary to be a
better martial artist, he'd do it! He would NOT be weak!
He would be strong and not hafta depend on nobody!//

//Ranma's shock as a giant panda shot out of
the pool, landing on one of the bamboo poles. The Guide
explaining quickly about the horror of Jusenkyo. The
panda attacking. Cool water enveloping his form. The
unpleasant sensation as muscles and internal organs
shifted into a slightly different configuration. The horror
of all the work of ten years being undone in an instant.
His father had told him often enough. Girls were weak,
stupid, silly. And now he was one.//

//Three girls sitting across from him at a
table. Shock and disgust on the faces of two, anger on
the third. Appreciation for the mature beauty of the
eldest, the sensuality of the middle, and the cuteness
of the youngest was pushed aside by resentment at
being forced into this. Another friend lost, he noted
as he saw the youngest continue to get angrier. The
two slightly older girls taking the opportunity to throw
their youngest sister off to the lions. The realization
that, as in all his life, he was unwanted and resented.//

//Watching the woman in front of him.
Realizing there was more than one kind of strength.
Realizing that she had no one to tell her that SHE was
beautiful, that she was appreciated, that she...mattered.//
-------------------------------
Kasumi blinked again. Under that towering
ego and overwhelming self-confidence, there was...

Someone who had been repeatedly betrayed
by his father. Someone who had repeatedly opened his
heart only to have it ripped out. Someone who covered
massive insecurities with arrogance and insults.

Someone who was now beginning to realize
that other people might be just as insecure and lonely
as he was.

Someone who thought of her as mature,
beautiful, unapproachable.

"I think," Kasumi managed, "that maybe we
ought to keep this quiet and perhaps that I should tell
everyone not to disturb you for a little while." She had
to think about what SHE had just seen, as well. Having
viewed his entire life was a little...overwhelming.

"Yes, Kasumi-chan," Ranma found he could
shut her thoughts out if he tried. "Thank you."
-----------------------------------
Ranma sat back in the emptiness of the room,
blessedly alone, when the door was pulled back again.
Ukyou slid into the room, closing the door behind herself.

*Please, Ranma, DON'T force me away.* She
forced the concern away from her face to look at Ranma.

"Ucchan, I wanted to be alone." Ranma was
quieter than he usually was. To actually feel the affection
and concern radiating off of Ukyou was disarming to say
the least.

"I...just wanted to check up on you, sugar."
*WHY?! Why do you have to put up with this, why do you
let her hurt you like this? Ranchan, PLEASE!* "So...are
you really feeling better?"

"Some, yes. Very tired though." He wasn't going
to look at her. Absolutely not. Even though he could feel
her apprehension and sadness as she realized he wasn't
looking at her.

"Well...then, I guess I'll leave you alone." *Damn
it, Ranchan, why can't you get it through your thick head
that I'm your fiancee too! You jackass.*

Ranma looked up briefly as Ukyou knelt next
to him, her hand coming up to almost touch the bandages.
Contact.
//This time she'd get that BOY! Thinking he
could get free food from them! This time she'd stop him!//

//Sharing a quiet moment with the boy who loved
okonomiyaki almost as much as she did. A quiet moment with
the two of them sitting closely together. He considered her
his best friend? A friend...//

//They were leaving her! Her Ranchan, waving bye
bye as the two abandoned her. Betrayed. Alone.//

//A quest for vengeance ending in a series of
revelations. He was clueless, ignorant, nieve. Not completely
blameless, perhaps, but certainly not the monster she'd come
to expect. More like the boy she'd fallen in love with long long
ago...//

//Watching bitterly as other women, completely wrong
for her Ranchan, continued to abuse him. Abuse his trust. Abuse
his body. Abuse his code of honor. Abuse his capacity for love.//
----------------------------
Ranma tore his gaze away, REALLY wishing he hadn't
done that. That he hadn't seen. So many years she'd devoted to
him already, either in love or in hate...

Ukyou blinked. A tear? Ranma crying, even if it was
just one tear? Impossible!

"Uhm, Ukyou, I'd REALLY like to be alone right now."

"Yeah, sure, Ranchan. I've got to get back to work
anyway." *Damn that Akane! She's really hurt him this time.*

"Ucchan, I..." Ranma stopped. "Thank you."

Ukyou left without a word, certain from Ranma's
reluctance to even look at her that she'd done something wrong.

Ranma waited a few minutes, sighing, knowing that
he could expect one more visitor AT LEAST. He wasn't disappointed.

The door slid open again. The surprise was that it was
not Shampoo.

"Hmph, Saotome," Nabiki folded her arms and looked
sternly at Ranma. "You know damn well that..."

Ranma actually chose to meet her gaze. He'd never
understood her. Contact.
//The same room, the same scene with a dying mother.
This time the angle was a little different, but it was the same. A
little girl promising herself that she would never be vulnerable
again.//

//Watching Kasumi trying to handle too much at once,
and the elder sister trying to manage her homework, keeping care
of the house, plus balance the checkbook. It was the last that she
found the most fascinating. Tens adding to hundreds, a plus here
and a minus there, making the numbers add up. There was a joy
to be found, a sense of accomplishment, in making this little amount
of income stretch out to cover all the expenses. Still, more money
was needed. How to get it? Kasumi's gratitude as she took over the
finances...//

//Profound disappointment turning into bitter resentment.
Her fiancee, a lifeline in the sea of loneliness, had turned out to be a
GIRL! This could not be tolerated. That this 'Ranma' wouldn't be
rich was understood well in advance, but she'd HOPED he would
at least be cute. That he wasn't even a he was yet another insult offered
to her by life. So be it, she would only pursue money from now on!
At least that way she couldn't be hurt again.//

//Noting that Akane had been cooking and that there
was an open box of rat poison, Nabiki "accidently" threw the
contents of the stewpot out. Seeing the plastic liner beginning
to dissolve, Nabiki congratulated herself on her insight.//
-------------------------
"So, YOU'RE the one who threw Akane's dinner out
and started all this!" Ranma glared at Nabiki.

"Who me?" *How did he know?* "You're grasping
at straws, Saotome."

Ranma thought for a moment. While he was doing
so, Nabiki started talking about a photo shoot she had in mind.

Ranma smiled as he thought of something. He couldn't
bring himself to hit a girl, and when he'd tried to convince Kasumi
earlier, he'd done a good job but something subtler would be
needed if he wanted to keep his secret. Something like...

He didn't realize that he was thinking like Nabiki at
the time.

Ranma tried sending a feeling. A feeling that Nabiki
was well acquainted with, as was Ranma. Loneliness.

Nabiki's voice trailed off. Alone. She was so alone.
If one was swimming with the sharks, one had to be as cold
as they were. There was no comfort there, no shoulder to cry
on, no one to lean on. Any sign of weakness would bring the
sharks in to feed on you. Nabiki rallied. Strength. Soul of ice.

Ranma had seen. He had learned. He had now
experienced four lives. Thinking in terms of a battle, he
shifted gears, allowing the Kasumi he'd learned to guide
him to victory over this foe.

Hugging Nabiki, he stroked her hair and mumbled
how it would be all right. He switched the loneliness to duplicate
exactly and sincerely the same compassion and tenderness he'd
felt from Ukyou.

It was a tender, kind, gentle moment. Something that
Nabiki had rarely experienced in her life, and never from anyone
besides her elder sister.

Nabiki crumbled, having absolutely no defense against
this sort of attack.

Ranma let up on the projection as he realized that Nabiki
was hugging him back, and the dampness on his shirt was from...
Ranma continued to stroke her hair and hold her, knowing from the
Kasumi portion of his mind that this would be the best way to handle
it.

After a few moments like this, the door opened. Akane
looked in, saw this scene, and went into shutdown. *NO! Nonononono.
This can't be! No way! Nabiki? Ranma?!* Her mind a confused jumble,
Akane made her way back to her room. *Hallucination, that was it, that
baka had made me so worried that I couldn't see straight. Yeah, that
was it. It had been a very long day, too. All this cold wet weather...*

Nabiki hesitated at first, then firmly disengaged herself from
Ranma. "Well, Saotome, I guess you're all right. I've just got to..." She
lost track of what she was going to say as she looked into his eyes.
Ranma was...different. She could see a deep, gentle, caring in him now.
Directed at her. At the heartless mercenary. Or was he looking deeper?

She snorted and walked off. Ranma? Ranma getting
observant? No way. Couldn't be. She'd never...

Nabiki closed the door to her room and shivered. It was
broken by a smile, though. To be held like that, to feel safe and secure,
as if he could actually care for someone besides himself. It had been a
nice fantasy.

And if he COULD be like that, Nabiki wondered how difficult
it would be to get the engagement switched over.
----------------------------------
Ranma's eyes shot open. The slight trace of perfume
wasn't what had awakened him. The muttering in Chinese and
the projected concern/sadness/affection were.

"Airen?" Shampoo crept closer, not wanting to
awaken anyone else in the house.

"What do you want, Shampoo?" Ranma addressed
the shape in the darkness that he knew was the amazon. "It's
very late."

"Airen. Shampoo just worried. Heard violent pervert
girl hurt you bad. Airen..."

Ranma smiled in the concealing darkness. At least
with it this dark he didn't have to worry...

Contact.
//Crying as her great-grandmother told her the story
of how her mother died, brutalized by the Musk at the Fjord Of
Standing Stones. Her father, a weak male, could only watch as
the Elders decided her fate.//

//Mousse. Again and again and again. Instead of
taking the hint he continued to press his attacks on her. Why
couldn't he understand. She just was NOT interested! Ah, now
Tai Za on the other hand. A little weird, and not much of a fighter,
it was true, but then SHE was the warrior. It wasn't unheard of
for a strong amazon to choose and defeat a male, far more common
than the other way around! Tai Za was cute, a good farmer, a
decent forager. Shampoo thought about it, she was six years old.
Tai Za was eight. Close enough.//

//Shampoo glaring at Mousse. He'd gone too far. Too
far! It had been an "accident" they said. Mousse's thrown dagger
missing a target to cut through a support rope while Tai Za worked
on the Challenge Log. The crushing weight landing on the poor
farmer/carpenter. She vowed she would NEVER let Mousse have
her. NEVER!//

//Shampoo defeated by the boy Ranma. The revelation
that boy was girl. Fleeing in horror with a broken heart.//

//Her Grandmother explaining the law to a broken
hearted Shampoo. Failing once was Jusenkyo. Failing twice...
Exile was the LEAST punishment she could expect.//
------------------------------
Ranma paused. He'd always thought that Shampoo
had been pursuing him because of those stupid laws. That
wasn't it. She genuinely loved him.

However, if she DIDN'T get him, she'd be
punished, and severely. Cologne could intervene, but at
the very least Shampoo would never go home again.

"Ranma?" Shampoo looked hesitantly at
Ranma.

"Uhm, Shampoo, I got some stuff to sort
through. Do ya mind? I REALLY need to be alone."

*Ranma doesn't look very good at all.
Maybe I ought to bring him some soup? If he's lost
a lot of blood, he'll need to replenish his strength.*
"Airen, can Shampoo bring too too delicious
soup in morning?"

"Yeah, Shampoo, that sounds good."
Ranma sighed. He was beginning to long for
ignorance.

*The way he was looking at me?! Could
it be...finally?* Shampoo slapped herself. *I'm not
dreaming!!! He was actually looking at me as if he
was seeing something besides a source of food or
an irritant!*

"Uhm, Shampoo. Please. I need to be
alone."

*He's being polite!?!* Shampoo trembled.
*Steady now. If you use the Amazon Glomp, he's
injured. Tomorrow. Definitely tomorrow.* "Good
night, Ranma."

Ranma watched her leave then settled
back. He was understanding her thoughts now. She
was still thinking in Mandarin. This was bad...
end Day One...

A Little Sense?
by greggsharp, metro...@mindspring.com
& Jared Ornstead
http://metroanime.home.mindspring.com/
i don't own Ranma 1/2, all char trademarked by
them that do. timeframe: immediately after "Like Water For Ranma"
this story came out of the idea, what if you really could beat
some sense into someone...
then came the thought, "Phenomenon"
--------------------Day Two, morning----------------------------
*Bamboo. Lots of bamboo. Tiny, crunching leaves.
Strong stalks. Steaming dishes of rice. The pleasing crunch of
stolen pickles....*

Ranma came blearily awake. His head hurt like
anything, sitting up was causing him to almost see double,
but he had to deal with....

It took him a moment to work out that the hunger
he was feeling wasn't his own. Looking aside at the panda curled
up with its back to him he scowled. Figured the old man would
even _dream_ about food. He had to get out of here. His old man
was sending out broadcasts that'd overcome all his own dreams.

He'd never get any sleep with the panda overwriting
his own thoughts...

With a chill of horror that completely hid the pain, Ranma
scuttled away from the sleeping furball. If there was one person in
the world he did _not_ want to be like... When the pain from his
shivering finally penetrated, Ranma collapsed and silently held his
head in both hands, as Genma chose that moment to roll over he
squeezed his eyes shut and lived with the pain.

Ranma slid painfully out of the bedroom. He would _not_
look. Nothing in the world could convince him to look into his old
man's eyes. He'd sleep in the garbage outside if he had to. There was
no chance of getting to sleep back in there again anyway. The thoughts
broadcast by... No, scratch that. Ranma figured he knew what thoughts
were well enough by now to admit what _those_ were.

His father thought in terms of appetites. It was a lucky guess,
but he'd bet his pops let his stomach make half his decisions for him.

The pain subsiding now, and the closed screen
effectively masking his Pops' latest thought about gorging himself,
Ranma got up gently and headed downstairs. He might as well start
his morning routine. His mind felt bruised already, how long had he
been lying there while his Pops thought about food?

There had been dreams earlier, if you could call them
that. His mind trying to grasp and assimilate the memories he'd
inadvertantly downloaded.

There had been the day Kasumi graduated from high
school and she'd had to make a decision. Try for college and pursue
her dreams. Stay at home and meet her responsibilities to family.
Though saddened, she turned from her dreams. Family would always
come first.

Shampoo, triumphant on the practice log! The glory
that was due her, of all the sixteen year olds, to be annointed the
Champion. Not merely to have proven herself worthy of the title
Warrior, but to go beyond that and become what every little
amazon girl dreamed of, the Village Champion! Waitaminute,
why was there a girl and a panda eating her prize?!

Ukyou, a child, hearing the whispers of her classmates.
She had been dumped like a spoiled okonomiyaki, like crust gone
all dry and moldy. Now she'd never get married, she'd be left alone,
unloved. Because she had fallen for a jackass with thieving father.
Ukyou renounced she would be a girl, then, but would live life as a
boy until she had her revenge!

Nabiki watching the crowds surrounding Akane. So
everyone was interested in little sister, eh? Tatewaki certainly was.
Now how could she make a profit off of this?

Ranma paused, realizing that he was no
longer the same person he was the previous morning. He was still
himself, but he was also others. He was using terms and phrases
he'd gotten from Nabiki. He hoped that this condition was temporary,
and that he wouldn't end up with his personality fragmenting...

After that pause he decided it didn't matter. He had
to get busy.
---------------------
Kasumi lay in bed awake. It was four minutes till her
alarm woke her. There were clouds in the sky outside. The earliest
hints of dawn had yet to come, but her blinking eyes held only the
oval face of the alarm clock as it stared at her.

Deciding finally that there would be no more sleep
today, she arose from her bed, feeling a slight twinge of
sympathy/pain knowing, _feeling_ that as difficult and lonely as
her own life had been, she still took for granted some things that
Ranma had never enjoyed. The down comforter, even her bed,
both these were still unheard of luxuries for a boy who'd
slept on wind-swept stone, and to whom a thin futon on a wood
floor was still a not-entirely-assured comfort.

Stopping her alarm two minutes before it could ring, Kasumi
began to get ready for her day.

There was a moment of strangeness as she put on her gi,
but she shrugged it off. She had a lot of thinking still to do.
---------------------
Ranma felt glad of the sedate pace today. The moves
were slow and assured, and in their gentle flow his mind began to
slowly ease back from the pain it had been in earlier.

Without even thinking about it he began going over
the sleeping arrangements. It didn't take long to conclude that
none of the Tendo's could be moved out of their rooms, and his pop
wouldn't budge, so that meant he'd have to be the one relocated. He
guessed that he could take some extra blankets from the upstairs
closet and transfer them to one of the shelves in the dojo. It would
be cold out there but it should be quiet.

It was the work of a few moments to decide what would
have to be moved, where, and in what order to make that comfortable.

Finishing up his warm up routines, Ranma placed the
gathered wash in the baskets. Time enough to put them on the lines
when the sun had risen. Going inside, he turned on the lights in the
kitchen to begin the dual task of preparing for breakfast and fixing
the school lunches.

His head was hurting alot less now, and he hummed
softly to himself as the perfect precision of each move flowed smoothly
after the other. He'd try and remember the name of this kata later, but
for now he was content to let his body run by itself while his mind
gradually steadied and recovered from the numb pain he'd woken
up with.
---------------------
<Airen was hurt very, very bad, great grandmother. But
he was nicer to me when I visited. When I offered to bring him soup
he did not turn it away. He was very polite, but said he was also very
tired.>

Cologne looked up from her mat at where her grandaughter
was dressing in concern. She was not so old that she could not see the
spark of true hope in those young eyes, nor did she miss the taint of
fear there as well.

She got up, masking her own fear. Head injuries were always
bad, and a change in behavior from one indicated severity. It would be
best she went along to see that there weren't complications.

In her best unconcerned grandmother voice she
answered. <Well, if the boy has agreed to eat what you make let's
both see that it's done well, hmm? Maybe while I'm there he'll allow
me to take a look at that injury. I'll bring along one or two of my
medical things just in case.>

Shampoo tried hard to conceal her relief.
---------------------
Kasumi felt the dawn caressing her face and felt glad. She
was a little out of breath from the day's chores already, but there was
a feeling of accomplishment along with the tired muscles. She felt that
she had gotten alot done, maybe even enough that she could take a
nap later in the day.

Humming softly to herself, she finished her entire morning
routine a little early and used that time to enjoy the sunrise for her
vantage
point on top of the roof. With a happy smile, she jumped down lightly on
the balls of her feet and went in for breakfast.

She wondered what that wonderful smell...

Two figures stopped. They were staring at each other from
opposite ends of the dining room. Ranma swallowed and set the
breakfast tray down at the table. "Food'll be ready in a minute,
Kasumi. You'll have time for a bath to get the sweat off."

Nodding, Kasumi looked on in joy/puzzled
accomplishment/fear/astonishment and genuine amusement at Ranma
kneeling at the table, setting out the breakfast dishes and wearing her
own best apron.

Her eyes crinkled. *Finally, I have an ally in this house.*

"Look! I... ow..." Ranma held his head, having turned it too
hard when objecting.

"Oh! Are you alright, Ranma?" Kasumi knelt by his
side, noting the amusement he held in spite of his pain at finding her
in a martial art gi. She became resigned even as she noted it, that he
would be hearing from her own mind how well she could read his
mood from his posture and facial expressions.

*Well, that's one secret gone, I guess. And probably not
the only one. I wonder how much he knows?*

Ranma held his head for a moment longer. "That's alright,
Kasumi."

She wished she knew knew which question he was answering.

He went on, tentatively releasing his skull as if afraid it might
fly apart again. "It's nuthin'. I got a headache from listening to pops
dream about potroast all night. That's all."

"Oh, dear." *I guess I should have thought. Having Mr.
Saotome in the same room could not have been pleasant. Not if you
could read minds.*

*Yeah. I woke up feeling like Akane'd hit me again. I was
thinking of moving out into the dojo to sleep from now on.*

"But it's so cold." Kasumi objected. She ran through the
same formulas for moving people around that Ranma had, only she
put a slightly different emphasis on it. Sick people had priority, after
all.
She briefly entertained the notion of having Ranma in her own room,
and was gratified to see the immediate blush.

"No, Kasumi. Pops may have a winter coat and all, but try
and convince him to accept hardship when he don't want to. He'd just
sneak back in to my room at night if we tried to put him out there." Ranma
was glad that it wasn't Kasumi who was the mind reader. The image she'd
put out of him sleeping on a futon on her floor hadn't been bad. The quick
sequence of "what could go wrong with this situation" images HAD been
rather...odd coming from Kasumi as they had.

"I suppose you're right." *It really was unfair how Mr.
Saotome acted.* The image involuntarily came to her mind of Genma's
face as he threw his son into the pit for the third time. Then one from
her own perspective as she'd seen him tear off Ranma-chan's shirt
and offer the now topless boy-turned-girl to Happosai. *I suppose he's
unfair in the way he normally acts, isn't he?*

*Yeah.*

*?!?!?!* "Ranma, your mouth wasn't moving, but _I_ heard
you."

*Uhm, yeah. Sorry about this. Just don't want to move my
head that much right at the moment. I think we can talk this way 'cause
we both had that transfer-thingie.*

"If I might make an observation, Ranma?" Kasumi paused for
the feeling of consent. *What you did last night was...strange. It lasted
a few seconds, but I lived your entire life as if I were watching a movie
except that I could also feel what was going on. Did you do that with me
as well?*

*Yes. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to, it seems to be
completely involuntary like this mind-reading stuff. Uhm, I also kinda
scanned Nabiki, Ukyou, and Shampoo. Seems to be related to eye contact
whether there's sufficient light or not to see.*

*Eyes being the window of the soul, then. Hmmm. You're thinking
more like me, with some Nabiki "flavoring" as well. Oh my, you mustn't do
this very often, I'd imagine personality fragmentation would be inevitable.*

*Actually, I think I lucked out there. Nabiki's the only one that
would fight me for dominance except in specific situations. Right now all
the personas are more interested in surviving than who gets control.*

*How sensible.* Kasumi smiled.

*Must be your influence.* Ranma paused. "Ah, Kasumi?"

"Yes, Ranma?" *Hmmm. Miso soup with breakfast okonomiyaki?
Not what I would have fixed, but...* Kasumi realized how hungry she was.

"There ain't all that many chances for you to get to the bath today."
---------------------
Ranma was just hanging up the apron *Let everybody think
it was Kasumi that did all the work.* when his head split to the sound
of a scream.

"SAOTOME! HOW DARE YOU STEAL... huh?"

Mousse let his chains trail loosely from the ends of his robe as he saw
his enemy curled up in a fetal ball on the floor, both hands tightly
clutching his head. "What? Hey, what's wrong?" *Saotome's injured?
That's what I'd heard. Hmm, now's my chance! All it will take is a
little...*

Ranma could only gasp in relief when he heard Mousse's
mind go chaotic for just a moment as the change to duck overtook him.
He actually wept a tear to feel Shampoo's presence back in the room.

The image in Mousse's mind had been powerful, driving a
sword through the unprotected back of his hated rival. He'd never
actually thought that Mousse'd been willing to _kill_ him!

He sobbed involuntarily as he felt a soothing presence
move over him. There were too many minds nearby to hear any
specific thoughts. Curling himself tighter, he tried to wall off his mind
so he could cut off the confusion and the pain.

Cologne stood by the huddled son-in-law's shoulder.
A few touches and she was certain. A nod to Shampoo and the girl
put down her carefully made soup (chicken noodle, ancient Chinese
secret cure for colds handed down through 3000 years of Chinese
Amazon rule) and ran into the kitchen to prepare water to mix
the herbs.

This being the Tendo kitchen, and it having been Ranma
at work, she was out again in moments with a heated kettle.

Mousse-duck made a lunge for the water and was
intercepted by Cologne.

"Mousse, how could you even think of fighting Ranma
when he's in this condition? Amazon law forbids it. You know there
are no challenge fights allowed against the wounded." *Certain
exclusions, provisions, and limitations may apply.*

"Quack!"

Cologne's eyes went to slits. "Mousse. Ranma's
practically dead as he is. It's going to be hard enough to nurse
him back to full health without you in here shouting and flinging
chains at him."

"Quack! Quack!"

Shampoo smiled sweetly at the duck. "Mousse,
you challenge airen like that, Shampoo try out new recipe for
Peking style diced duck. Shampoo use spoon to dice, you
know what Shampoo mean?"

The grip went closed, cutting off the duck's air and
stilling his resistance. The matriarch spoke in leveled tones.
"Let me put it another way, Mousse. If Ranma dies from something
that you've done, if I even find you trying, then I'll give you the
Kiss of Death myself. Do you understand?"

"quAck." The waterfowl lost color and shed a dozen
feathers in fear, finally going limp in despair.

"Oh my!"

Shampoo looked up from where she'd been mixing herbs.
Kasumi stood in the doorway looking like she was fresh from the
bath. A groan came from her airen and Shampoo's attention went
back to her patient, a spoonful of medical broth lifted carefully to
the head cradled in her lap.

"Cologne, did you really mean that? Did you mean what
you said?" *Judging from Shampoo's expression, she was quite
sincere.*

Cologne released Mousse out the balcony and came
back to stand with her staff, looking alternately between Ranma
and the Tendo daughter. "Child, I've seen many head injuries in
my time, and this one's bad. One more blow like he's been getting
and we'll have seen the end of son-in-law. I felt it wise to step in
and reduce the fighting by one, though the one that worries me is
that sister of yours. He only needs to get her angry at him once
more. And I'll tell you right now there are those who'll press murder
charges. I might even help them. Under those conditions, I'm
afraid to leave him here. You of all people should know how
difficult it is to control things in this place. Son-in-law needs to
rest, not fight for his life."

"Yes. He was complaining this morning of how difficult
it was to sleep with his father in the room. He'd suggested that he
might move out into the dojo."

"In _this_ weather?" Cologne was astonished. Cold and
wet was the forecast. Not cold enough for snow, but freezing rain
had occurred three days ago. Cologne put on her kindest face and
voice to try and convince the Tendo girl. "Child, it's plain that he
won't be able to get his best rest here. Let us take him. I can assure
you we'll treat him like he was already family. I'll even give my word
we'll return him once he's better, if that's what he wants."

Cologne hid two crossed fingers behind her back.

"But I think your treating him like that is what will
worry everyone. Won't there be alot of fights from people
wanting to do the same?"

Cologne was surprised. That girl actually had a head
on her shoulders. Or at least wasn't in Oblivious mode. "What are
you saying, child?"

"I agree with you that we don't really have a place
where he can rest here, not unless I double up with Nabiki and
we put him in my room. What he really needs, I think, is a place
away from _all_ his fiancees, but where they can visit him."

"But we have no such place, child. We've only our
own homes. And what kind of protection would he have all
alone like that? At least one of us has to be there to take care
of him." Cologne was the first, of course, to register the new
presence and winced accordingly.

"Ohohohohoho!" A swirl of black rose petals
announced her presence as easily as that trademark "crazed
noblewoman" laugh.

"If you'll forgive the interruption, I may have a suggestion."

Cologne blinked as she saw Kasumi going into a defensive
martial arts stance that looked VERY familiar.

She blinked again as she realized that son-in-law had very
abruptly vanished.
-------------------------------------
*Ranma?*

Ranma paused, gasping from effort and curled around his
pain. He'd overriden the pain, but such things always came with a cost.
When the pain had returned, it had been with enough force to cause him
to start throwing up what little was in his stomach.(1)

*Kasumi. Can't. Right now. Hiding. Ungh.*
------------------------------------
Kasumi turned back to the soup. The nausea that had
accompanied Ranma's reply might have been obvious to Cologne.
*OK, Ranma. Don't come back. Kodachi's here arguing with Akane,
Shampoo, and Cologne. I think Cologne suspects something is not
right, but she has other concerns at the moment.*

Kasumi paused, wondering if she could/should try to
look through Ranma's eyes. No, that wouldn't be proper. Neither
was the desire to step up to Kodachi and do an amaguriken. Kasumi
suppressed THAT desire as well, noting that as Ranma had gotten
some of her patience and understanding, she had apparently gotten
just a touch of Ranma's impulsiveness.
-------------------
Cologne's eyes took in everything. A puzzle was here,
and that was something she had longed for. Not so much the puzzle
itself, but that after a chi-attentuated long lifespan like her own, she
was finding damn little that was New and Different.

When one's life is maintained by one's strength of mind
and will, then one literally can die of boredom. She wanted to see a
proper Heir before she passed from this life into one of those Last
Great Mysteries. Shampoo wasn't it. Shampoo and Ranma's child
MIGHT be such an heir.

Shampoo continued to argue with the rich, obviously inbred,
Japanese girl with the acrobatics fixation. As usual, that one was
responding with racial and caste slurs. While apparently watching the
three way war of words (Akane throwing in insults and arguments
against both parties), Cologne was studying the older Tendo daughter.

She had changed. That much was obvious to anyone who
could observe the flows of chi. Kasumi's chi flows were much stronger,
though she was still maintaining excellent control. The girl took out a
piece of celery, casually flipped it into the air and made nice even slices
in it while it was in midair.

Cologne's eyes twitched involuntarily. Son in law must have
been training the girl. That was definitely the sort of thing she would have
expected from Ranma, though her control was better. How had she been
fooled into dismissing the elder Tendo as just another submissive
housewife type?

Cologne genuinely liked Ranma, something that would have
surprised the heck out of Ranma if he had known about it. She saw here
another possibly worthy pupil. And if this girl had managed to fool even
Cologne herself for so long?

Cologne barely suppressed a grin. Perhaps she had found her
Heir after all.

Without waiting for the yelling to subside, Cologne tapped
a shiatsu sleep spot on the leotard clad girl, then flicked a fork to do the
same thing to the ninja hidden behind the wall.

"Shampoo?" Cologne looked at Kasumi openly now, ignoring
the questions erupting from the youngest Tendo.

"Yes, Great-grandma?"

"Xi Fang Gao. Kodachi _and_ Sasuke. Only that they won't
remember that they were here. Keep it simple." Cologne turned her full
attention back to Kasumi who was beginning to look like the canary
that had just realized that there was a cat and it was in a playful mood.
"Miss Tendo, I _do_ hope we can have a chat later. We need to go find
son in law before he freezes in this weather."

"What do you mean? What have you done to Ranma? Hey!"
Akane watched as Cologne left, followed by Shampoo dragging two
bodies with freshly scrubbed hair. "And don't hurry back!"

Kasumi shook her head. She had a feeling that she was in
the frying pan now, and the fire wasn't far off.
======================================
(1)Been there, done that. These are "trip to the ER" level migraines. Just
another wonderful thing to be said for having repeated head trauma
from my school days. And no, you can't drive or do much in this condition.
Pain blocking techniques are real and part of martial arts too, so i figure
Ranma knows 'em.

A Little Sense?
by greggsharp, metro...@mindspring.com
& Jared Ornstead
http://metroanime.home.mindspring.com/
i don't own Ranma 1/2, all char trademarked by
them that do. timeframe: immediately after "Like Water For Ranma"
this story came out of the idea, what if you really could beat
some sense into someone...
then came the thought, "Phenomenon"
------What's come so far:---------------
Ranma's been hit by Akane, there was some pretty
severe damage, but it was decided that he (being a tough
martial artist who can bounce back from anything) would
not be sent to the hospital. After all, this might cut into
their budget, and it had to be Ranma's fault anyway. This
despite skin being ripped on his skull and at least one bone
chip being found.
Ranma has discovered that he is now hearing
other people's thoughts if they are physically close. He has
also found (by accident) that if he makes eye contact, he
relives that person's life. He has so far downloaded Kasumi,
Nabiki, Ukyou and Shampoo. He has not had the peace and
quiet to sort them out or assimilate these other personalities.
While trying to convince Kasumi that she should
keep quiet about this new strangeness, he inadvertantly
"uploaded" his own life to Kasumi. Both are now acting a
little bit like the other, as well as have a link between them.
Ranma is still having serious problems (it is a very
serious head trauma) and has had to escape the dojo to
avoid either downloading more memories or being kidnapped
by Kodachi.
Cologne has noticed Kasumi acting like Ranma and
came to the conclusion that Kasumi has been fooling everyone
all this time. One doesn't learn martial arts reflexes like that
overnight, after all. This has gotten Cologne interested.
It hasn't been revealed yet, but yes, Kasumi has gone
through the same experiences Ranma did, so she has the catfist
as well. At least until she can assimilate the memories with her
own and mute the effect down to manageable levels...

--------------Day Two, Later-----------------------
Ranma shuddered. Cold, wet, shivering,
feeling quite unpleasant. The everpresent headache.
The Kasumi part of his mind counseled him to find
shelter. The Nabiki voice went over the various
possibilities.

School: too many people. Nekohanten:
too many people and Mousse might be tempted,
threats to the side. Tendo household: currently a
battlesite. Ucchan's: possible, but everyone would
expect that to be among his first choice.

At least he could warm up at Ucchan's,
while he thought this out. The little Ukyou voice
gave a cheer, but quietly. There was muttering from
the Shampoo fragment but she was overruled.

Seperation being counterproductive to
longterm survival, the voices began their slow task
of assimilation. All of whom agreed that downloading
any more voices would be a Bad Thing.

Besides, counseled the Nabiki voice,
it was crowded in here enough as it was.
--------------------------------
Kasumi hummed a happy little tune
(Bach's little fugue in G) and noted that Akane was
grumbling about the unpleasant awakening she'd
had. (Kodachi's laugh having cut through a pleasant
dream dealing with a variety of Super Soba that didn't
give one facial hair.)

Nabiki spent some time looking for Ranma,
saying only that she wanted to check on something.

When Akane told Nabiki that Ranma had
fled during the morning confrontation, Nabiki had
seemed somehow disappointed.

"So I gotta get to school," Akane paused.
"Kasumi, do you think Ranma's all right?" Silently
adding that it wasn't like she cared, baka was probably
out with Shampoo.

"I'm sure Ranma's all right. He's a survivor,
isn't he?" Kasumi continued to stir.

"Breakfast okonomiyaki?" Nabiki finally
woke up enough to determine what she was eating.
"Did Ukyou come by this morning too?"

"Oh no," Kasumi smiled at the two. "Just
trying different things..."

"Ah." Nabiki shrugged and ate more of it.
Whatever Kasumi was doing, it worked. Nabiki hadn't
seen Kasumi almost glow with health like that in years.

"Oh," said Akane, turning her attention
back to breakfast. "It's awfully cold though, and it'll
probably rain some more."

"Concerned about your fiance, Akane?
Heart all aflutter cause he's alone and injured somewhere?"
Nabiki smirked as she sipped on some tea.

"OF COURSE NOT! It's not like I care what
happens to that baka!"

"Then maybe I ought to take Ranma," said
Nabiki, turning her smirk up a degree.

"FINE! TAKE HIM!" Akane was tired of
Nabiki's bluffs.

"OK. Thank you!" An eerie chorus sounded.

Nabiki looked at Kasumi, the chopsticks
dropping from nerveless fingers. Akane's gaze flicked
back and forth from the two of them to the curtain,
where she was SURE she'd heard a third voice answer.

Kasumi glanced at the curtain and started
humming a tune that she'd never heard, though Ranma
had. "Oh, the cat came back, she couldn't stay away..."

"Shampoo?" Akane managed after she picked
up the clue.

"What are you doing here, Shampoo?"

"It going to rain soon. Shampoo decide better
check and see if airen show up yet." Shampoo stuck her
head around a corner. "Airen not here, is he?"

"I'd imagine that EVERYONE with Jusenkyo
curses dislikes this time of year." Nabiki stared into her
teacup. "Damp and chilly to say the least." Maybe she
should have a few umbrellas and such on hand for sale...

Kasumi nodded absently. She knew Ranma
disliked this season intensely.

Akane shrugged. She at least knew that if
Shampoo was here, then that meant Ranma was not
with her. That left...way too many possibilities.
Ukyou Kuonji dragged a semi-conscious
Ranma into her store, closed the door, and tried not
to think of all the things she could do with Ranma
at her mercy.

The time she had found him, weakened by
Happosai's moxibuxtion technique, she had come
VERY close to making a Ranma okonomiyaki with
lots of sauce. Instead she had chickened out and just
woke him up by turning on the grill.

She still had dreams in which she had NOT
chickened out. They were quite naughty fantasies of
the sort that Nice Girls are not supposed to have.

A bad head injury prevented him from
an okonomi-orgy or even the grilling he'd gotten
the last time. The cold drizzle had become a light rain,
and so Ranma was now Ranma-chan and with soaked
bandages.

Ukyou shrugged happily. There was just
no way around it, she had to bring his temperature back
up. Now how to do it?

Ukyou began to smirk as various naughty
possibilities came to mind. A hot soak, and of course,
she'd have to be right there with him - can't leave a guy
with a head injury alone like that! Or maybe cuddling up
under some warm blankets where her body heat could
take the chill off of him! She snickered. Maybe it was time
for that Ranma okonomiyaki...

The snicker stopped. She was nice. She was
cute. Though she wanted (Oh Kami, how she wanted!)
to do any and all of the above, she couldn't do that to
him. No, Shampoo would do that sort of thing. Probably.
Akane wouldn't do that sort of thing even if he did marry
her. Kodachi...well, Kodachi would do that sort of thing
and get progressively worse.

She had to do this nicely, damn it. Ukyou's
expression was sad as she watched Ranma lying there.
If only she could convince Ranma that SHE was the one
who really loved him.
--------------------------------------
Inside Ranma's mind, a dining room table had
formed with several people sitting around it.

"OK, people, we're here to discuss the situation
that we've gotten ourselves into." Nabiki steepled her hands
in front of her and looked at all the other participants in this
little conference.

"Ranma-kun's headaches have gotten worse,"
Kasumi advised. "This would seem to indicate that the
injury isn't simply the scalp wound that we had hoped for.
There may be internal bleeding."

"Uhm," Ranma raised a hand. "Does our meeting
like this mean I've done that multiple personality thing that
the real Kasumi was worrying about?"

"No, Ranchan. We're just manifestations of the
memories you've gotten through your 'eyecatch' trick."
Ukyou paused. "Actually each of us are acting out the
part of various aspects of your Self. Nabiki is the analytical,
Shampoo the survivor, and myself the ego."

"That explains why you're wearing my clothes.
What about Kasumi?"

"Oh, I'm real. I'm just sitting in while I polish the
floors. Can't do much about the laundry till it stops raining."

"Ah."

"Besides, I'd like to start a fire and learn the
'Chestnuts Roasting' technique but..." Kasumi shrugged.
"It doesn't matter that much compared to what is going to
happen to you."

"Ah? Oh yeah. Internal bleeding. Got ya."

"Not likely, Kasumi, consider how much time
has passed." Nabiki waggled a finger. "If we were talking
about subdural hematoma, surely we would be experiencing
a coma at the very least by now. The injury occurred yesterday
at about 4:15pm. According to what we saw, it's only now
coming up on 7:30am. That's still way too long."

Kasumi blinked, then realized that the ersatz
Nabiki was accessing her own medical knowledge. "Not if
you factor in the chi-enhanced healing factor and the very
real possibility of a minor blood vessel being the site of
leakage. Some clotting may have occurred, which carries
its own problems, of course."

Ranma nodded, remembering all those medical
texts that he had read all the time. Or rather that Kasumi had
read all the time. "Guys, while you're still seperate, what's
gonna happen to me? I mean, I feel the same, I guess, but
if I stop to think about it...I'm not."

Nabiki winked and leaned back in her chair.
"You'll grow, Ranma. We'll grow, rather. None of us dying,
but rather the memories and personalities you've picked up
will be added to your own. Supplementing your Self rather
than supplanting it, if I might get poetic."

"Ranma, I check out. We not in immediate
danger." Shampoo spoke up, her eyes still fixed on
something only she could see. "Spatula girl..."

"Why can't you just use my name?" Ukyou
glared at Shampoo.

"You know why. Shampoo feel inadequate
next to Spatula Girl and Violent Pervert." Shampoo
shrugged. "Search our memories. You've been Ranma's
friend and childhood confidante, Violent Pervert Girl
captured Ranma's heart by being first girl to ever act
nice to him. Otherwise she'd have been dumped a long
time ago, but now there real affection. Even if Akane
seems to be real dominatrix type under it all."

"Gak!" Ranma wondered where THAT had
come from. These were all parts of himself, weren't they?
Or did he get more of the original than he'd thought?

"Ranma, I've got to answer the door. Get to
a doctor as soon as possible." Kasumi excused herself
and vanished.

Ranma shrugged. "OK, so, what do we do
about our current situation."

"Well, you could elope with Ucchan!" Ukyou
suggested brightly.

"Stupid Spatula Girl," Shampoo said, sulking a
little. "Why not go to Nekohanten? Great Grandmother know
much Chinese medicine. She at least able to make diagnosis."

Nabiki held up a finger. "Mousse." A second finger
went up. "The possibility of getting crated and carted off to China
while unconcious."

Shampoo snorted. "That no happen. If that was plan,
would have happened long time ago."

Nabiki held a third finger off. "You HAVE been known
to play with odd foodstuffs before."

"That was before Shampoo understand airen's feelings
on that!"

"Shampoo still doesn't understand. You do, because you're
part of the whole!"

Kasumi reappeared in a Star Trek (old series) transporter
effect. "I've always wanted to try that," she beamed happily. "Oh,
that was Cologne. Everyone knows where you are now. Well, except
for Akane and Nabiki who are at school now. It looks like Ucchan took
the day off to nurse you back to health."

Ranma blinked at Kasumi referring to Ucchan as Ucchan.

"So that means that Shampoo will be arriving soon," Ukyou
noted. "She's not going to let a rival like Ucchan spend quality time
nursing you back to health without at least a token argument."

"And if I know about it," Nabiki frowned, "then I _might_
sell the information to Kodachi. I would really object to adding her
persona and memories to this gestalt."

"Kasumi, I hope to talk to you face-to-face soon." Ranma
stood up from the table. "I think we've spent too much time unconscious
as it is."
--------------------------------
"Urgh."

"Ranchan!" Ukyou immediately clapped her hands over her
mouth and winced. "I was so worried about you, you jerk!"

"Know that, Ucchan." Ranma slowly uncurled himself from
the covers. "You deserve a lot better than me, ya know?"

Ukyou blinked. That hadn't sounded like Ranma AT ALL.
She rallied after a moment. "Well, it doesn't matter what I deserve, since
what I want is..."

"I know, Ucchan. More than you'd believe, I know." Ranma
sighed as deeply as he could without making new lances of pain go through
his head. "Oh, and you'd better come in now Shampoo, it's going to rain
some more."

Ukyou stared at the empty window for a moment before a
head popped up into view.

"Even when airen badly injured, he still goodly
martial artist."

"Well it's that 'wild berry' perfume you use, Shampoo." Ranma
stopped. Keeping either of them going any longer would just hurt them
more in the long run. "Come on, Ucchan, Shampoo. Let's go see if the old
ghoul can do something about this headache."
------------------------------------

A Little Sense?
by greggsharp, metro...@mindspring.com
http://metroanime.home.mindspring.com/
i don't own Ranma 1/2, all char trademarked by
them that do. timeframe: immediately after "Like Water For Ranma"
this story came out of the idea, what if you really could beat
some sense into someone...
then came the thought, "Phenomenon"
----------------Day Two, early afternoon----------------------
Upon entering the Nekohanten, the first thing noted was that it was closed.

Upon entering, Shampoo also decided not to put off something she'd been
meaning to do for awhile. Shampoo glomped Ranma, only to be shocked almost
to immobility by something she had NEVER expected.

Ranma was squeezing back, lightly but he was doing it.

It required martial arts discipline worthy of the Nichieju Champion to
remind herself that her airen was injured and that picking him up and
carrying him off to do some serious snuggling would probably aggravate his
condition. It was a close thing though. Very close.

"Shampoo, I am so very, VERY, sorry."

Shampoo's eyes went wide and she began to pull back. Was this it? Had he
made a choice and it wasn't her? Was this the kiss goodbye?

"I've been acting like a jerk, and...I don't really deserve you."

There was a thump as an eavesdropping Mousse fell down a set of stairs in
order to perform a 15' spinning facefault. Only that he was currently in
duck form kept him from seriously injuring himself on some hidden weapons.

Cologne, also listening, briefly held up a scorecard marked "5.5"

"Airen, what you say? You..."

"<Yes, Shampoo. I know about your laws. I know that you can't go home
without me. I also know I could never be comfortable living in your
homeland, though. I could never settle for a role simply as Shampoo's
foreign husband.>"

"<Husband speaks Mandarin?>" Shampoo blinked as Ranma's words penetrated.
"<Ranma, you don't have to...>"

"<C'mon, Shampoo, I know better. Males in your village don't do too well,
do they? Why do you think they keep to their places? Can you really picture
me as a quiet little homebody?>"

"<No...>" Shampoo's voice broke. "<But I...>"

"<I know, Shampoo, I know.>" Ranma knew quite well about Shampoo's feelings
for him.

"<So who...>"

Ukyou was staring at Ranma. She didn't understand the conversation but it
was obvious that something was going on.

"<None of the above.>" Ranma smiled a little as Shampoo started studying
his face. "<Akane loves me but resents me. I'm not any good for her. Ukyou
is first and foremost a businesswoman, and her greatest love will always be
okonomiyaki. Kodachi, once she actually had me, would drop me and move on to
other interests. She's a compulsive-obsessive like her brother.>"

"<So, your main objection to me is that I must return to the village? That
you can't accept the role of meek husband?>"

"<That, you turn into a cat, and your moral/ethical structure is based on
completely different values than the Japanese standards I'm used to.>" Ranma
looked into her eyes, silently rejoicing that the eyecatch effect seemed to
have stopped working. Or maybe it just worked once with a given individual.

Shampoo blinked and Mousse facefaulted again. Cologne, still hidden, merely
looked thoughtful.

"<Was this when I tried the Red String or was it the Mushrooms?>" Shampoo
shook her head. "<Husband. I can't do anything about the cat curse.
I...understand.>"*Understand that he's still injured and not himself. When
Ranma gets better, he'll see that Shampoo love him. Even if Shampoo never go
back to the village, Shampoo won't give give up on Ranma!*

"Anybody wanna repeat any of that in Japanese?" Ukyou was getting tired of
being left out of this conversation.

Ranma started the task of explaining this to Ukyou. His gaze never left
hers, and she could feel the compassion and regret coming from him.

*Saotome is giving up? Letting me go about the task of winning my Shampoo?*

*Son in law has changed. This much of a personality dislocation from a head
injury is not a good sign, though I must admit I like the change. I wonder
if it could be? No! It couldn't be!*

Ranma winced a little in anticipation. Cologne had figured it out?

*He must have another girlfriend!*

Ranma considered facefaulting but decided it would hurt too much.

Shocked certainty radiated from where Cologne was standing on the head of
her staff. *Someone mature and responsible, who is bringing those very
qualities out in him. Well, well....AH HAH! So that's why Ranma was teaching
Kasumi Tendo his moves. So she would be able to defend herself when all the
other suitors found out about it.* Cologne started radiating pleasure as she
put together pieces of a puzzle, not realizing that she was completely wrong
as it made perfect sense to her. *So, while everyone watches the magician
misdirecting everyone with the colored scarves, the real trick is being
performed under their noses. Until this injury set things off, even I was
fooled by this act. Brilliant.*

Ranma blinked, now looking into Shampoo's eyes as he listened to the
rapidfire thinking going on in Cologne's mind. "Shampoo, Ukyou, I..."

*RANMA!* A shocked thought from Kasumi and an image. Of looking through
Kasumi's eyes and seeing both her sisters gaping at Shampoo holding Ranma
tightly as he looked into her eyes.

"RRRRRRRRANMA!!!" Akane started to go ballistic, reconsidered and went to
supraorbital instead. *Jealousy/anger/hate/fear/envy. I worried about him
and here he is flirting with Shampoo!?* "YOU IDIOT!"

Her fist connected as Ranma tried to free himself. There was a moment of
stabbing pain.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ENDING! Yes, folks, some of you won't be satisfied with the
way I originally saw this ending, so here are optional endings for this
story line. Just Delete the ones you don't like and you have the way you
prefer the story to end. (Anybody who wants to add additional endings just
send 'em on.)
====================ENDING ONE: ORIGINAL ENDING==============
Kasumi gripped her sister's shoulder, lending comfort to the stricken
teenager as the cardboard box containing Ranma Saotome went into the
inferno. The ashes would be collected later and the Saotome family shrine
would hold them for awhile before they would be scattered to the wind, to
ride free and unfettered in the air of the Bayankala mountain range. As it
had been where his life had changed so much, it was only fitting.

Nabiki sniffled a bit as the door shut behind the box.

Akane, however, was home in her room. Still under sedation. It also kept
her safe from being spatulaed into something you could slip through a
mailslot, or beaten mercilessly by a certain grieving amazon.

Kodachi was also home, also under sedation. Especially after Tatewaki had
started an especially loud and annoying speech about finally having defeated
the evil Saotome's spell over Akane Tendo. Tatewaki Kuno was currently in
Nerima General having been simultaneously been spatulated, bonboried, and
gymnastic clubbed immediately after having given said speech.

"He's still with us, you know," Kasumi said, smiling down at her sister.
"I'm sure of it."

"Yeah, right, Kasumi." Nabiki began the task of putting the Ice Queen mask
on. "S'funny, with you wearing those pants and tying your hair back like
that, you look a bit different."

"Well," Kasumi shrugged and gave a crooked little smile at her sister, "I'm
an heir to the Anything Goes style too, and my old clothes just didn't work
for that."

*Kasumi, you think she bought it?*

*Of course, Ranma-kun. Why wouldn't she?*
=================ENDING #2: Akane-ite Ending=============
Kasumi hid her feelings on watching the usual morning scene. There was
Ranma sparring with his father. There was Ranma falling into the pond. There
was another casual insult from Akane, followed by the usual thoughtless
response from Ranma.

Nabiki smirking at the whole thing as she announced she was off to school,
followed by Akane and Ranma going into the "I'm gonna be late now" panic.

Things were back to normal. Well, mostly back to normal. Nabiki was still
looking at Ranma as if she longed to see something that just wasn't there
anymore. Akane was now striking Ranma on areas besides the head, mainly the
stomach and groin area. Ukyou and Shampoo were trying harder than ever to
insinuate themselves between Akane and Ranma. Ranma complained of headaches
a lot more.

Kasumi waited for everyone to leave, then quietly slipped her gi back on
and finished her morning katas.

Yes, everything was back to normal.
=================ENDING #3: DARK ENDING===================
Akane backed away, staring at her hand as if she couldn't believe what had
just happened.

Nabiki, cold impersonal Nabiki, had managed to get outside the door of the
Nekohanten where she was being very, very, sick.

Neither Ukyou nor Shampoo looked particularly healthy at the moment either.

Mousse made a remark about hearing someone smashing open a pumpkin or
something. The comment was enough to send the unflappable Kasumi from
shocked immobility to join Nabiki outside.

Cologne looked sadly at the remains of someone she'd actually come to care
about (loudmouthed obnoxious male or not) and started to make plans. There
was little reason to remain here now, Shampoo could return home without
dishonor.

Akane began to shake her hand, sending little droplets of blood, bone, and
all too easily identifiable matter to the floor. She still stared at it, not
really comprehending what this stuff was.

Mousse made a mistake. It was an understandable mistake, all things
considered, but it was a mistake nonetheless. He said two things that he
should not have. If he'd only said one of those things, he might have gotten
off a lot easier.

"Eeewww. That's a real mess," Mousse said as he stepped in something and
started to scrape it off his shoes. Upon putting his glasses down and seeing
that Ranma's skull had been the bursting pumpkin he'd heard earlier
(hairline fractures adding up to a considerable sum), Mousse said the second
Very Wrong Thing To Say. "Shampoo! Now that he's out of the way, we can be
together!"

Shampoo and Ukyou took turns beating on Mousse. They'd have beaten on Akane
except that the short haired girl quite obviously was not capable of
noticing at the moment.

Like Lady Macbeth, Akane was going to be washing that hand for a very long
time, and she would never quite be convinced that it had ever come clean.
====================ENDING #4:THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US================
Ranma woke up alone in the hospital. When a nurse came in he flinched when
their eyes met, but nothing happened. This brought a smile to his face more
than the exchanged meaningless pleasantries.

He waited until the nurse had left before trying something else. *Kasumi?*

*Ah, Ranma-kun. Are you feeling better? Amusement/worry/exasperation.*

*I still hurt, but they've apparently got me on medication. Whassup?
Curiosity/reassurance/worry.*

Kasumi sent a scene from memory.
--------------------
Her hands stabbing out rapidly into the flames, pulling one after another
of the chestnuts out and flicking them quickly into a pan of cool water.
Pride at having accomplished this, and in only three days!

Kasumi felt her smile at the accomplishment fade a little as she turned
towards the patio, to see that the others had returned a bit earlier than
expected. Akane's reaction was the most extreme, looking as if she wanted to
cry or run away. Nabiki dropped her rice cracker. The team of Soun and Genma
blinked at her, blinked at each other, and then shrugged as if to say "big
deal." Her father fainting a moment later kind of threw the act off.

The sound of someone laughing drew everyone's attention to the wall, where
Cologne was looking down on all and sundry. Especially she was regarding
Kasumi.

"Well, well, child. You are doing exceptionally well indeed." Cologne left
the wall to hop next to Kasumi and look up into her eyes. "Tell me, child,
have you ever considered learning some of the special manuevers? Most of the
amazons learn the Breaking Point as the toughness that manuever develops
makes for easier childbirths. Perhaps the Xi Fang Gao?"

"You're offering to train me? You took a much different approach with
Ranma..." Kasumi blinked. Why was everyone paying attention to her now? She
preferred to sit at the sidelines. All she had wanted to do was improve her
speed a bit, after all THAT had uses besides fighting.

"Son-in-law is male and prideful, though that's redundant." Cologne's smile
looked a little wistful. "Also I may, just may, have mishandled the
situation upon arriving."

"Amazon gift for understatement," mumbled Nabiki though loud enough for it
to carry into the yard.

"I must say, Tendo-san, you had even me fooled." Cologne snickered at the
jest. "You surprised me, and that's something I get all too little of at my
age."

"Fooled?" Kasumi knew this was going entirely the wrong way.

"Fooled?" Akane's voice sounded a little puzzled.

"Oh yes," Cologne grinned like a wolf. "There's a definite connection
between you and son-in-law, isn't there? I don't know when it developed, I
don't know HOW it developed, but it's a good deal stronger than the
relationship between Akane and Ranma, isn't it?"

Kasumi stepped back, wondering if the matriarch had learned of the
telepathic connection.
She couldn't have, could she?

Nabiki started to laugh, then abruptly started choking. Kasumi looked
towards her sister and saw the blood drain from her face. Oh, dear. Akane's
expression wasn't much better.

"I'm sorry, but Akane is Ranma's fiancee." Kasumi wouldn't mention the link
or that she understood dear sweet Ranma-kun much better now than Akane did.
She was sure that she could get the two of them together now without much
problem. At least unless outside interference...

"Why would I want to marry that...baka?" Akane's voice didn't have a great
deal of conviction in it and Kasumi noted that the look coming her way from
Akane was filled with new worries.

Then again, Kasumi began to reconsider the possibilities.

Cologne shrugged. "Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Well,
Tendo-san, consider my offer. It's rare that I get the chance to teach TWO
people with such talent."
*Oh my.* Ranma summed up.

*That was pretty much MY reaction.* Kasumi's mental voice paused with a
wave of embarrassment. *Ranma-kun?*

*Yes, Kasumi-chan?*

*We're in all sorts of trouble, aren't we?*

*When they release me, I'd say so. We probably have less than a day to make
plans. On the good news, I no longer have a version of Nabiki, Shampoo,
Ukyou or yourself within me. They are part of me now. I'm not sure how to
feel about that. I can use a spatula or whip up okonomiyaki as well as
Ucchan, I have Nabiki's knowledge of photography if not her skill, I know
the lore and art of the amazons as well as Shampoo does...and I know how to
cook.*

*Yes, and I was extremely frightened by a cat today. I think I may have the
catfist technique. Ranma? What are we going to do?*

*Kasumi-chan, I have no idea.*

---------------Ending 5 by Jason Liao----------------------------
Ranma spun around from the blow, his head ringing in pain as turned
towards Akane.

Contact.

---------

Akane stared at her hands as if they were not her own. How could she have
done such a thing to someone with a head injury?

"Akane..."

How would Ranma think of her now? Would he forgive her? Would this be
the end...

"...no..."

Akane glanced up, to see Ranma manifesting a battle aura, and wielding a
mallet.

"...BAKA!!!"

*wham*

======================================
any other endings are completely optional.

oh, and if CJAngel is still doing the martial arts in Ranma thing (i'm still
doing the fanfic guide to Jusenkyo), then someone with his e-mail can clip &
send:

Amazonian Wu Shu, Gambling Substyle, Nabiki Tendo, A Very Scary Bet,
greggsharp
Amazonian Wu Shu, Grand Tiger Substyle, Vanilla/Rei Ayanami II, A Very Scary
Bet, greggsharp
Amazonian Wu Shu, Household Weapons Substyle, Shammi, Featherbrite's Tale,
greggsharp
Fierce Dragon Style, Akane Tendo, Ryu, Ken Masters, A Very Scary Bet,
greggsharp
Hokuto Shin Ken, Ju Ken (substyle), Kasumi Tendo, A Very Scary Bet,
greggsharp
Nanto Sei Ken, Kodachi Kuno, A Very Scary Bet, greggsharp
Venusian Kung Fu, the Doctor, Ranma Saotome, A Very Scary Bet, greggsharp

these are mentioned as opposed to some of the styles i've put out in the Bet
teasers cause those were one chapter teasers and these two are actually on
the "to continue" list.