[UY/Ranma/SisPri][FanFic] Lonely Souls - Part 5 (3/3)

1 view

pye...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2007, 11:37:07 PM9/7/07
"***HE HIT YOU?!***"

It was lunchtime at the Tendou doojou. Souun was now a hair's
breadth away from unleashing a Demon Head, though the true target of
his anger was nowhere in Nerima. "Hai, he did," Akane grunted, a hand
rubbing her abdomen. Sayuri and Yuka sat to either side of her.
"Ranma told me he's in love with someone else. I demanded to know who
she was and he brushed me off, the jerk! So I tried to smack him into
place and he . . .!"

Akane's voice trailed off. "Ranma-kun hit her mallet with something
he called the 'heart blast touch,'" Yuka finished as Sayuri squeezed
Akane's shoulder in sympathy. "It destroyed the mallet and knocked
Akane-chan out."

Nabiki perked. "The Heart Blast Touch?!" She then winced. "Ouch!
You're lucky it was only the mallet he hit, Akane!"

"What does THAT mean?!" Akane snapped.

"Negako-san told me the Shinzou Bakuhatsu Shoku is one of the two
main killing manoeuvres in Saikoo Jinseijitsu-ryuu," Nabiki
explained. "Unlike the rock-breaking technique Ryouga-kun knows, the
Heart Blast Touch is VERY effective against humans. One
strike . . .!" -- she pointed to a spot under her breast -- "Here and
your heart'll literally explode." The middle Tendou daughter ignored
the horrified looks on the younger girls' faces. "Strikes against the
major nerve clusters in the shoulders and hips would forever deny you
use of your arms or legs. Aim at the back of the spine and you could
cripple someone. Aim for the head and . . . " She shuddered.
"Nasty!"

Sayuri nearly choked on her bile. "Saotome knows THAT?!"

"Yep. Matter of fact, Negako-san told me earlier today that Ranma-
kun mastered that particular move in less than an hour. And, believe
it or not . . . " She held up a finger, smiling. "It was ATARU who
taught him that."

Sayuri gaped. "Moroboshi?!"

"Could you imagine what the people of Tomobiki might think if they
knew something like THAT?!" Yuka wondered aloud.

"They probably already know." Nabiki turned back to her tea to take
a sip before she continued, "After all, how could Ataru-kun've dug
those people out of the wreckage of his old school last Monday as
quickly as he did?"

Yuka considered that, and then she nodded. "True."

"What else happened, Yuka-chan?" Kasumi asked.

"Well, after Akane-chan was knocked out, Ataru-kun's sister Negako
forced the principal to turn over his and Ranma-kun's school records
so they could be sent to some college. They didn't say which college
it was . . . wait!"

She perked, humming. Sayuri snapped her fingers. "Oh, that's
right! One of those girls mentioned something about a 'Stargazer West
College' . . .!"

Nabiki perked. "What younger girls?!"

"There were about ten or twelve of them," Sayuri explained. "It was
kinda funny. They all called Moroboshi-san 'big brother' . . . "

Kasumi's and Nabiki's eyes widened. "Oh, those must've been Ataru-
kun's younger sisters." The former then smiled, humming
thoughtfully. "Then the college they mentioned must be the one the
sisters attend."

"I can check that out," the latter confirmed.

"Yes, Nabiki, do so!"

Eyes locked on Souun. Akane blinked. "Dad . . .?"

"Ranma won't be allowed to escape his obligations!" he ordained,
ignoring the annoyed looks appearing on Kasumi and Nabiki's faces.
"He'll be brought back to Nerima immediately . . . " He crossed his
arms. "So he can marry Akane and unite the schools as Saotome-kun and
I planned!"

Tired moaned escape his elder daughters, earning them a stern look
from Souun. Sayuri and Yuka kept their peace. Akane shuddered,
unsure of what to say or think in spite of the fact that, thirty-six
hours before, she had gladly declared to both her father and Genma
that she loved Ranma. Suddenly, Kasumi perked. "Ah, we have a
guest!" She rose, heading to the front gate.

"Dad, don't you think . . .?!" Nabiki began.

"NO!" Souun slammed his fist into the table. "Ranma will marry
Akane-chan and that is FINAL! Your continued, selfish, pointless
interference in this matter will no longer be tolerated! You have
already interfered enough in their lives and my plans for them,
Nabiki! You WILL ensure that Ranma comes back to this house as soon
as possible or else you will . . .!"

A fist smashed into his nose, sending Souun flying into a wall. As
he collapsed into a heap on the floor, Nabiki straightened herself,
her fists clenching and unclenching as her battle aura flared. "Onee-
chan . . .!" Akane gasped as she, Sayuri and Yuka stared wide-eyed at
Nabiki.

"How soon we forget who actually PAYS the bills around this place!"
the middle daughter growled. "You try to throw me out, Dad, and I
promise you that your life will become a living HELL! Don't you DARE
preach to me what was proper and what wasn't when it came to Akane and
Ranma!" She pointed at him. "After all that time you spent SITTING
there on the porch, doing NOTHING to help keep our home, you've got
some gall to speak to me like THAT after all the things I've done to
keep this place over our heads!"

"Indeed, Father, Nabiki-chan is correct," Kasumi announced as she
stepped back inside. "You have no right to judge any of us for what
we did or didn't do in these last few years when you've done NOTHING
to help keep our home intact!" She drew out a thick envelope from
behind her. "Furthermore, we can no longer bother Ranma-kun where he
has chosen to live. Read."

She tossed the package onto the table. Nabiki immediately scooped it
up and opened it, drawing out a covering letter. Scanning it, she
whistled. "Well, guess that settles that," she announced.

"What does that say, Onee-chan?" Akane wondered.

"This is from the Court of Special Appeals." Nabiki held up the
letter to show to everyone else in the room. "This confirms a court
injunction issued against our family concerning Ranma-kun and the
idiot's agreement Dad made with that panda Ranma-kun once had to call
a father . . . "

"***'COURT INJUNCTION?!'***"

Souun was on his feet. "Yep," Nabiki said. "As of six o'clock last
evening, by special edict of the senior judge of the Court of Special
Appeals, acting on behalf of the Imperial Palace Agency, an injunction
was issued against all parties who desire to forge a marriage bond
with Saotome Ranma, once-child of Saotome Genma and Saotome Nodoka of
Nerima-ku, Tokyo-to; now head of the Saotome family of Oomure-chou,
Odawara-shi in Kanagawa-ken." She paused as she scanned the letter's
contents. "Simple enough."

"What does it say, Nabiki-chan?" Kasumi asked.

"It says here that if any one of us continues to harass Ranma-kun
concerning what Dad here tried to set up with the panda, then we'll be
investigated for all confirmed or suspected illegal activities which
might have affected Ranma-kun. Then, if warranted, charges would be
laid against us." Nabiki slipped the paper back into the envelope,
and then she moved to head upstairs. "I guess that takes care of
that."

"WAIT!" Souun wailed. "There must be . . .!"

"Forget it, Dad." She glanced at him. "It's over. If you want to
keep chasing after Ranma-kun, you're on your own. Don't expect any
help from me."

She turned to head upstairs. "Tendou Nabiki, you will help bring
Ranma home or you will no longer be allowed to live in this house!"
Souun threatened.

"DAD!" Akane cried out.

Nabiki blinked, visibly not disturbed by his words. "Fine. I'm sure
Negako-san'll let me live at her place while I finish school and move
on to university." She then glared at her father. "And while I go
forth and destroy everything you have left in this world, *Father.*
Your legacy, your doojou, your place as head of this household,
EVERYTHING you once called your own will be taken away from you. If
you're so intent on living inside that little fantasy world of yours,
I'll be DAMNED if you drag all of us down with you!"

She stormed upstairs. "Nabiki!" Souun cried, collapsing to his
knees.

"Father."

Shuddering, he stared into Kasumi's face. "Father, if you force
Nabiki-chan to leave, then I too will leave." She crossed her arms.
"Nabiki-chan is correct. Your continued refusal to see what is truly
going on with those you state you care for has brought such disharmony
to this household that I find I can no longer live here anymore. I'm
sure Toofuu-sensei will be more than happy to let me live with him as
I proceed to university myself." She headed to the kitchen. "Ranma-
kun was right all along. I've sacrificed far too much of my life
because of your laziness. And I refuse to keep placing my life and my
dreams on hold because you refuse to stop being lazy!"

The door slammed shut behind her. "Kasumi!" Souun tearfully
screamed, and then he jolted as Akane stood, moving to head upstairs.
Sayuri and Yuka headed up ahead of her, both of them moving to allow
her to speak to her father alone. "Akane . . .?" He turned to her.
When she refused to look at him, he bowed his head. "Do you still
love him?"

Silence fell. Then a weak "Yes" escaped her. "Then bring him home!
You have to!" Souun pleaded. "If you let him go, everything we've
tried to make is wasted! You'll let Ranma-kun fall into the grasp of
Nodoka's relatives! If that happens, you'll never have a chance to
let your heart's dream come true! You can understand that, can't you,
Akane-chan?! Bring him home!"

Akane shuddered, tears spilling down her cheeks as she tried to find
the right words. Finally, she gazed heavenward. "He said to me this
morning . . . " She sniffed. "That he no longer considers this place
his home."

She headed upstairs at a run. "Akane-chan . . . " Souun burbled
before collapsing on himself, pained sobs escaping him.

* * *

"How could you say that to your own father, Nabiki?!"

Nabiki stared at Sayuri. "Look, I know you don't like Ranma-
kun . . . "

"You're damn right I don't!" Sayuri snarled. "Ever since that
bastard first showed up, Akane-chan's been treated like dirt by almost
everyone who knows her! She gets no respect for what she can do, even
when she WANTS to learn how to stand on her own two feet! Oh, NO!
That's not right since, because she's engaged, she has to depend
TOTALLY on a jerk like Saotome! And Akane-chan got no support when
she tries something new! Why? Because no one wanted to be bothered
to make her look better than her 'iinazuke,' even when he was forced
to act like a girl! You want to know how much it HURT her when
Saotome proved he was a better *girl* than she?! How much it HURT her
every time she tried to cook something and NO ONE, even her
SISTERS . . . " She glared at Nabiki. "Would help her out, much less
encourage her to do better?!"

Nabiki gazed evenly at Akane's friend, crossing her arms. "So when
did YOU ever try any of Akane's cooking, Sayuri?" she coyly asked.

Sayuri jolted before she flustered. "W-w-well . . . "

Nabiki nodded knowingly. "Uh-huh!"

"What about my cooking?!"

Akane stepped into the room. Nothing was said as the youngest
daughter sat on Nabiki's bed. Nabiki remained silent, gazing absently
at her computer. Sayuri and Yuka exchanged a look, and then they
gazed on their friend, unsure as to what they could say in a situation
like this, much less if they should say anything at all. Finally,
Akane asked, "Did you mean it?"

"Mean what?" Nabiki wondered.

"What you threatened to do to Dad?"

"If I have to."

"Why?"

"Because it's time for Dad to start acting his age, Akane." She
glanced on her sister. "It's time for him to start realizing how much
pain he's been unleashing ever since that panda showed up. On you, on
me, on Onee-chan, on Ranma and everyone else." Shaking her head, she
rose, heading to the window to gaze on the townscape beyond. "Now I
can understand where Ranma-kun's coming from when he said he didn't
want anything to do with us. We USED him, Akane-chan. You, me, Dad
and everyone else. And ESPECIALLY the panda, may that selfish bastard
rot in Hell for all he's done!" She closed her eyes, tears brimming
in her lashes. "We've been HIDING behind Ranma-kun, Akane. Whenever
something weird hit town, we shoved him into dealing with it without
giving him any sort of REAL encouragement. Hell, whenever he got into
trouble, what did everyone do? Shouted insults at him, told him to
deal with matter . . .!"

"All he really wanted was thanks."

Eyes locked on Yuka. "Yuka-chan," Sayuri whispered.

"That's what he said at school, Sayuri-chan." Yuka sighed. "Don't
you remember? How he said that he was tired of doing something for
nothing, not even a 'thank you,' for dealing with the garbage that
hits town every once in a while. And remember what else he said?
About what'll happen now that he's gone off with Moroboshi-san and his
sisters? Who the hell stops Happoosai from stealing all our clothes?
Who stops people like that Tarou guy? Who stops the Principal? Hell,
who's going to stop Kunou from pressing the whole fight for Akane-chan
if he decides that what Akane-chan said today doesn't count?! Who the
hell stops the next hotshot coming into town looking for a good
fight? Hell, who'll save the doojou next time a Doojou Destroyer
comes along . . .?"

"IF Ojii-san doesn't give Dad a new training license," Nabiki
muttered.

"True." Yuka shakily nodded before turning to Sayuri. "Akane
couldn't stand up to the last one; Ranma-kun had to deal with him!
And Nabiki's only NOW getting back into shape . . . " She shrugged
before leaning on the bed.

Sayuri snorted. "It's all Saotome's fault, anyway!"

Nabiki smirked. "You know, Sayuri-chan, hanging onto that attitude
isn't going to help." Her grin turned savage as she glanced on
Akane's friend. "Matter of fact, it's that attitude that helped drive
Ranma-kun away."

Sayuri shook her head. "Oh, no, you don't!" She pointed at Nabiki.
"You're not going to peg this on me! Uh-uh! And I won't let you get
away with heaping it all over your sister, either!" She pointed to
Akane. "Akane-chan was right all along about that bastard! And
there's nothing you can say or do that'll make me change my mind!"
She stormed out of the room.

Nabiki watched her leave, and then she turned to look out the
window. Sayuri walked onto the courtyard, heading out the front gate
for home. Sensing the silence from the other people, the middle
Tendou daughter gazed on Yuka. "You're awfully quiet, Yuka-chan.
Aren't you going to say something?"

Yuka shrugged. "What can I say? Ranma-kun's gone and there's
obviously no hope of bringing him back. I . . . " She gazed on Akane
before placing a supportive hand on her friend's shoulder. "Maybe
instead of trying to force the whole engagement thing on him, you
should just try to be Ranma-kun's friend. That's all he seems to want
now, Akane-chan."

"Then who is she?"

"Akane-chan?"

Akane stared at Nabiki. "Who is it? Is it Ukyou? Is it Shampoo?
Kodachi, maybe? Or is it one of Moroboshi's sisters? Who IS IT, Onee-
chan?!"

"What are you talking about?" Nabiki demanded, staring at her sister.

"You damn well KNOW what I'm talking about!" Akane snapped, bolting
to her feet. "Ranma said he wouldn't reciprocate my feelings for him
because he loves someone else! Who is she, Onee-chan?! Damn it all,
you HAVE to know!"

Nabiki blinked, and then she gazed out the window, shaking her head.
"Much that you might not want to believe this, but I don't know
everything about Ranma-kun. And I think after all we've been through
these last few weeks, what I do know about Ranma-kun may not
apply . . . "

"Damn it, I don't CARE about that!" Akane railed. "WHO IS SHE?!"

Silence fell as Nabiki continued to look out the window. She then
asked, "Why do you want to know this? You going to try to fight
whomever it is to get Ranma-kun back? You remember what he said to
you last night about that . . .!"

"Onee-chan, he's fought enough for me!" Akane cut her off before she
sank onto the bed. "But . . .!" Tears brimmed her eyelashes as she
clenched her fists. "I just can't let it end like THIS! Please, who
is she?! Tell me!"

Nabiki gazed on her sister, and then she sighed. "It's not a girl."

Akane jolted before her eyes widened. "Negako-san . . .?"

"Akane . . . "

"Of course!" Akane leapt to her feet. "It makes PERFECT sense!
Negako-san's got all that experience and knowledge in the Art! Ranma
would automatically be attracted to her! And she's nothing at all
like Cologne or Happoosai, so why wouldn't he . . .?!"

"AKANE!"

Akane yelped, staring at Nabiki. "It's not Negako." The middle
Tendou daughter shook her head, a knowing grin crossing her face.

Akane blinked. "Not Negako . . .?" Her forehead furrowed as she
sank back onto the bed. She then froze, her eyes widening as she
remembered what Nabiki and Kasumi spoke of earlier. "No . . . " she
whispered. "No . . .! You can't be serious . . .! Not . . .?"

"Who?!" Yuka demanded. "You mean . . .? Moroboshi-san?!"

Nabiki left them hanging for a moment, and then she walked over to
the folder on her desk. Opening it, she leafed through the pages
contained within. She then drew out a sheet to hand it to her
sister. "Read."

Akane scanned it, her eyes widening. "This is a listing from the
National Family Registrar!" She looked up at Nabiki.

"'Saotome family of Oomure district, city of Odawara, Kanagawa . . .
'" Yuka read, scanning the names. "Saotome Ranma. Saotome Toshiko.
Saotome Kumiko . . . " Her voice trailed as she noticed one
particular kanji used three times in the same column. "All . . .!"

Akane looked, blinking as a roar of disbelief and denial surged up
from her heart. But the printed characters on the sheet before her
did not change. "All listed as girls . . . " she whispered.
"Ranma . . .! No, this . . .!"

Nabiki nodded. "It's true. It's also legal and binding. The only
practical way of someone to declare that he or she is of the other
gender outside of moving to a country where it'd be easier legally to
make that switch is . . . " She took a breath. "To literally start
from scratch. Just as Ranma, Toshiko and Kumiko did yesterday. If I
have to, I can hack into the Registrar's records and confirm it.
But . . .!" She shrugged. "It's hard to tell whether or not Ranma
did this just as a way of ensuring he didn't have to worry about the
engagements anymore or if . . . "

"It's something deeper," Yuka finished.

"Exactly."

"What if this was something Moroboshi did?!" Akane demanded.

Nabiki shrugged. "Hard to say. Personally, I'd say Ataru-kun had
nothing to do with it. Yes, he always had an eye for pretty girls.
As a girl, Ranma is quite the looker. No doubt about that. But we
have to keep in mind that Ranma's always been pretty paranoid when it
comes to gender questions. How many times've we heard him yell, 'I'm
a boy?!' He was so paranoid about that, I really doubt that even
someone like Ataru-kun -- IF Ataru-kun was still of that state of mind
-- could make Ranma change so easily."

She snapped her fingers. Akane considered that before reluctantly
nodding. "There's only one person we could ask about this, isn't
there?"

Nabiki nodded. "Right."

* * *

"Hey, you okay?"

"Huh?" Ranma perked as she floated in the deep end of the pool, and
then she glanced up at him. "Did you say something, Ataru?"

Located on the sixth floor of the Toranoseishin Finances Tower, the
indoor pool was enclosed with glass windows offering a panoramic view
of Tomobiki and the surrounding municipalities. Change rooms were
poised by the elevator shafts, they lining one side of the pool
space. Many of the sisters were frolicking in the shallow end.
Negako had returned to Nerima shortly before everyone raided
Esmerelda's. Mamoru swam laps by one side of the pool. Aria and
Hinako reclined on float tubes, a parasol perched over the former.
Ataru sat on one of the diving boards close to where Ranma was
relaxing.

"I asked if you were okay," he repeated.

She smiled assuredly at him before gazing on the ceiling. "I'm still
a little bugged over what happened last night."

"Do you remember much of it?"

"Bits and pieces, plus that nightmare I had," she admitted, closing
her eyes. "To believe I'm capable of something like *that* . . .!"

"Frightening, huh?"

"Yeah." Ranma then shrugged. "Then again, why should I be shocked?
After all, I went way past the envelope when I fought Saffron. Do you
think that part of me had something to do with that?"

Ataru shook his head. "Don't ask me, Ranma. That sort of deep
theory, I leave to the real experts like Onee-chan."

She looked on him. "It scares you, doesn't it?"

He considered her question, and then he nodded. "Hai, it does."

"Why?"

Ataru took a deep breath. "When I first started on this road, I
wanted to keep as many options open to me as I could." He gazed out
the window at his old hometown. "Try to keep or reform as many
friendships as I could in Tomobiki, stay with my family, be . . . "
He shrugged. "Well, be *normal,* I guess! But . . . " He closed his
eyes, his head swaying to and fro. "As time went on, it seemed as if
everything I tried to hang onto was closed off to me. I . . . " A
pause. "If I lost all links to my sisters, I wouldn't know WHAT to
do, Ranma. They're all I've really got left. Lum's gone, Shinobu
left my life long ago, I never really deserved to be with anyone
else . . . "

"Lum's not gone, Ataru. She's here in town."

"No! No! You don't understand." He shook his head. "Ranma, that
person on Ran's ship is, IN PART, Lum. There's a whole new side of
her being. That's how the Crossing Over works. Didn't Nokoko-
oneechan tell you about that?" Seeing Ranma nod, he sighed. "And
even Ran is gone, Ranma. She's in the same position as the being born
from Lum."

"You can try to stay friends with her."

"Should I do that?" he wondered. "Ranma, the future's wide open for
her. For them both. I have no right to impose myself on them
anymore. Do you feel you've got the right to impose yourself on Akane
or Ukyou?"

"No!" She shook her head, and then she smiled. "Still . . . "

"What?"

Grinning, Ranma somersaulted in the water, snaring Ataru by the leg.
"I've got you!" she growled as she yanked him in.

Ataru screamed before being submerged. Ranma dove in after him.
They met at the bottom, drawing their arms around each other as she
pressed her lips against his. Floating back to the surface, they kept
their pose even though the sisters could see them. Even the flashes
of Yotsuba's camera didn't break their lip-to-lip conversation. "Ani-
chama's and Ane-chama's kiss checky!"

They pulled apart, a sly look appearing on his face. Ranma grinned.
They then leapt out of the pool to dog pile the young detective.
"***ULTIMATE TICKLE-TORTURE CHECKY!***" they screamed together as
Yotsuba's laughter-filled pleas for mercy filled the pool area.

The other sisters watched, many trying desperately not to fall over
laughing on seeing the English-born girl so quickly brought down.
"Well, I'd say it's about damn time they did that to her!" Sakuya
spoke for them all.

* * *

"Darling, how can you think something like THAT . . .?"

The dark-haired, brown-eyed girl sat in the guest room of Ran's
scoutship, gazing in the general direction of the Toranoseishin
Tower. With a little telepathy, she could sense everything Ataru had
said to Saotome Ranma. Oddly enough, she could not probe directly
into his mind even if she desired to. For some unknown reason,
Ataru's mind was closed off to her. How was that possible? Nendo-
kata could virtually sense next to anything living. So what was
blocking her from probing into Ataru's mind, much less Ranma's?

Was it those things they could become . . .?

She quaked, her hand turning the identification card in her hand.
Her eyes quickly locked on the name printed there.

Izumo Seiko.

To the surprise of even his partner Kay, Jay was a history buff.
Since he had been assigned to help watch over the aliens resident in
Japan, the young SCAA agent had taken time to brush up on local
history. It was he who chose the names the beings formed in part from
Lum and Ran would use. "Izumo" was taken from a famous Kabuki actress
who performed in the days when Japan's legendary theatre allowed women
to take roles. The given names the Urusians-turned-Nendo-kata/Terrans
would use hailed from an earlier period of Japanese history. "Seiko"
was derived from a famous Heian-jidai poet, Sei Shoonagon, author of
"Makura no Sooshi." "Sakiko," the name given to the person once known
as Aruka Ran, got her name from a rival of Sei's, Murasaki Shikubu,
author of "The Tale of Genji." Hearing the origins of their new
names, Seiko and Sakiko could only exchange a knowing look. How
ironic, indeed . . .

"Sei-chan?"

Seiko perked, and then she gazed on Sakiko, who was leaning against
the doorframe. A hairstylist brought in by Kay and Jay had done
miracles with the rose hair Ran/Sakiko called her own. Now it was
hued to a more natural reddish-brown shade, styled in a bushy, close-
cropped mass that nearly obscured her eyes and curled in at her
collars. It looked downright sexy on her, Seiko mused to herself as
she held out a hand. Sakiko grinned as she walked to the bed,
allowing herself to sink into Seiko's embrace. "You okay?"

"Not really," Seiko admitted before she kissed Sakiko's forehead.
"So when do we have to finally move the ship out of town?"

"I'll do it tonight," Sakiko replied. "I'll talk to Ryuu-chan about
leaving it on her island. It should escape attention there."

"With some help."

"Hai, with help." The SCAA would no doubt want to ensure things were
squared away before moving to allow the Izumo sisters a chance to live
their own lives without oversight from New York. "Are you angry?" she
then asked.

"No, Sakiko-chan, not at you." Seiko gazed into the other woman's
eyes before she gazed to the deckhead. "We know the sacrifices
demanded of us when the Crossing Over is invoked. And Ryuunosuke
needs you. She's been as much a Wanderer as we've been, even long
before her father was killed."

"True." Sakiko nodded before she peered towards the Toranoseishin
Tower. A shudder raced through her as her empathic senses picked up
the strong aura of LOVE emanating from the sixth floor. "Blessed
Mother, they love him so much."

Seiko nodded. "And her, too. I envy Darling . . . "

"Maybe you shouldn't call him that anymore."

"He'll always be 'Darling' to me. It's too soon. I . . . " She
paused, allowing her face to be buried in her sister's hair. "Even
with the Crossing Over, I haven't had as much time to mourn what's
been lost than he . . . "

"I know. I think he knows it, too," Sakiko mused. She then perked,
her eyes glowing as she glanced toward the gangway. "Company."

"Who?" Seiko scanned herself before she smiled. "Ryuunosuke."

"Excuse me." Sakiko stood, moving to head out.

"Don't seduce her on the first date, Sakiko-chan!"

"But she's so much of a TEMPTATION, Seiko-chan!"

Laughter filled the ship as Sakiko headed down to receive their
friend. Seiko watched her go, and then she turned back to the
Toranoseishin Tower as she allowed her powers to reach out once more
to her Darling and his family.

* * *

Karen perked as a funny warmth surged through her. She then found
herself gazing out the window. What was that? Standing, she poised
herself next to the safety glass, trying to pick out details. She
knew where some of the more important locations in Tomobiki were.
Before they met Ataru, the sisters were walked through a detailed
model of the town by Negako. Yes, there was Tomobiki High. The large
expanse of green and asphalt black/grey interspersed with European-
style buildings and military-like structures was the Mendou estate.
Off to the far north was a sea of trees around a traditional mansion:
The Mizunokooji estate. There was the shrine where Sakura lived. The
house Onii-chan lived in. The Miyake home. The empty building
Tampopo-san once used. Other schools: Sanrinbou, Shakkou, Taian,
Butsumetsu, Butsumetsu Girls . . .

Wait!

Karen focused on a small dot of pink a few blocks away from Onii-
chan's old home. Oh, yes. Ran's scoutship. Remembering that woman,
Karen scowled before she chased away the dark thoughts thundering
through her mind. Even if Ran and her late boyfriend held many ill
thoughts towards her Onii-chan, that wouldn't remain as it was these
days. Rei was dead after all. And while Karen didn't know the full
story behind Ran's and Lum's surprising return to Earth, from what she
sensed from Onii-chan and Negako-oneechan's words, neither of them
were in any real position to hurt Onii-chan again . . .

* * *

"Is that what you all think of me . . .?" Seiko whispered, eyes
sparkling with hurt tears. "Just as someone who hurt your
brother . . .?"

Shuddering, she pulled her legs close to her as she leaned her head
on her closed knees. No! Oh, Sweet Mother, NO! It just wasn't
FAIR! Even if she wouldn't do what she had once done to Ataru before
she was sent home weeks ago, to learn that all of Ataru's sisters
HATED her was like a hot knife to her heart. Then . . .! Then
again . . .

Seiko sniffed. Should she be so surprised? If Sakuya, Chikage and
Haruka's actions provided any clue, Darling's sisters had forged
ironclad viewpoints when it came to Lum. And those verdicts had come
down AGAINST her. That was an attitude Lum hadn't encountered
before. Yes, there was Shinobu and her attempts at hanging onto Ataru
in the weeks right after the First Tag Race. Seiko now doubted that
Ataru's late 'parents,' especially Kinshou, ever DID really care for
Lum in the long term, seeing the Oni instead as the perfect ticket to
help steal what was rightfully Darling's.

But this . . .

This . . .

"I'm sorry."

* * *

Karen blinked as a twinge of pain touched her. She sat on a lawn
chair, looking nowhere. Why was she suddenly feeling sad for someone
like Lum, for Heaven's sake? After all the things she instigated, she
didn't deserve . . .

No.

Karen closed her eyes. That wasn't true. If Lum deserved anything,
it WAS mercy. She was here on Earth, most likely never to see her
home planet ever again. Did Karen have a right to judge Lum?
Especially after all . . .?

"Karen-chan, are you okay?"

Karen spun around to see Hinako standing there, a concerned look on
her face. "You scared me!" she breathed out. "Is there something
wrong?"

"Shirayuki-chan was gonna make hot dogs." Hinako pointed to the
other side of the pool, where the chef was working. "Don't you want
some?"

"I . . . "

Karen blushed as a growl echoed from her stomach. Hearing that,
Hinako giggled before she took her hand and pulled her to where the
others were.

* * *

"You were being a little too aggressive, Seiko."

Seiko screamed, spinning around to see someone standing by the door.
"Chikage!" she gasped, feeling her heart. "How . . .?"

The sorceress, draped in a solid black version of Ranma's new
swimsuit, turned to step out of the room. "Karen is especially
sensitive to empathic probing. If you are so determined to become
life-mates with one of my family, I suggest you learn something called
'patience.' That was part of the reason you did not ultimately
succeed in your pursuit of Ani-kun."

Seiko blinked confusedly as Chikage left.

* * *

"There's nothing you can do for them?"

Negako shook her head. She and Chigaiko sat with Nabiki, Akane and
Yuka around the living room table in the old shrine, they having just
enjoyed tea. "The core personalities of both Ataru and Ranma would be
destroyed if their link was severed. When that happens, all that
would be left would be the Cyborg and Neko-Ranma. And I believe you
understand what could happen if that part of Ranma's personality was
let loose. Do you not?"

The visitors were pale. The ninjutsu grandmaster had just explained
to them about the "hidden" part of last evening's events at
Fuurinkan. "H-he . . .?" Akane gulped. "No . . .! Th-this can't be
true . . .! It can't . . .!"

A fist smashed into the table, causing Nabiki, Akane, Yuka and
Chigaiko to leap back in shock. The look on Negako's face as she
glared the youngest Tendou down sent icy chills down the others'
backs. "Are you so determined to warp Reality Itself to your selfish
desires that you would allow people to DIE before you finally allowed
yourself to see the truth?!" she demanded, the rage in her voice
making Akane wish she could sink into the floor, get as far away from
this scary monster as she could. "People have suffered enough because
of your selfishness! Ranma most of all! What I have told you is the
TRUTH, Akane! Accept it!" She sat back, her eyes still locked on
Akane. "I will not modify the truth to better benefit your
sensibilities. Too many have done that to you to date, much to your
detriment. If you truly wish to be the martial artist you see
yourself as, you have to move away from that pathetic attitude you
have maintained concerning your total skill level and 'ranking' among
your peers. If you cannot make yourself move past that, then you are
wasting my time and patience. And that is something I will not
tolerate from anyone."

Akane shuddered, and then her shoulders slumped as pained sobs stole
her voice. Yuka moved to comfort. Chigaiko gazed sympathetically at
the sobbing girl, though she did spare glances from time to time at
Negako. The ninjutsu grandmaster's impassiveness was understandable,
the Tomobiki native mused. Unlike more sedate situations, Akane's
inability to accept her shortcomings had actually come close to
permanently crippling someone she deeply cared for. And it wasn't
just Ranma who would have been affected had that insanity continued.
Chigaiko grimaced. A man Chigaiko herself dearly loved was presently
involved. Much that she would desire there be an easier way to do
this, Chigaiko knew the time had come for lines to be drawn in the
sand.

Lines that could not and WOULD not be crossed.

Also watching Negako was Nabiki. While she did ache on seeing her
sister hurt, the middle Tendou daughter knew the time had come for
Akane to wake up and see the world as it was. *And you helped
maintain her illusions too. Not to mention milked certain problems
Akane-chan had for everything they were worth, even if it WAS to keep
the house over our heads,* a voice inside her chided. *If you're part
of the problem, you have to be part of the solution.*

Finally, Akane's sobs faded into sniffles as she wiped her eyes
clean. She then stared pleadingly at Negako. "Is there any way to
change this?" she asked. "I'm sure you don't want your own brother to
live like this."

Negako shook her head. "To my current level of knowledge when it
comes to psionic bonds like this, there is no way to safely sever what
exists between Ataru and Ranma, Akane. Yes, the ideal situation would
be for no bond to exist at all. But this situation, as all would
agree, is nowhere close to 'ideal.'"

"What are their attitudes towards this, Sensei?" Yuka then asked. "I
assume Moroboshi-san and Ranma-kun both know what's going on."

"Do not call me 'Sensei,' Yuka," Negako stated, causing Yuka to duck
the annoyed stare fired her way. The grandmaster then relaxed.
"Ranma is willing to allow matters between herself and Ataru to remain
until such time as more information can be obtained concerning the
person who bonded her to Ataru. But since said person is not native
to Earth -- thus leading us to question whether or not she, he or it
is still alive and can be called on to assist -- the potential answers
such a person might provide may never come at all."

"It's weird, though," Yuka mused. "I mean, who'd bond two boys
together, at THAT young of an age? And why would they do it?!"

"I think that's about as 'alien' as you can get." Nabiki shook her
head. "What about Ranma-ku- . . .!" She stopped herself before
sighing. "What about Ranma-chan's attitudes towards everyone here in
Nerima?"

Akane fired Nabiki a hurt look on hearing the latter address Ranma
with a more "feminine" term. "For the most part . . . " Negako's
voice turned her attention back to the ninjutsu grandmaster. "'Good
riddance to bad rubbish.'"

The Tendou sisters winced. Chigaiko gave Negako an annoyed glance.
Yuka gazed sympathetically at Akane. Negako took a breath before she
continued, "There are certain people whom Ranma might entertain
reforming friendships with. She has already begun doing so with
Ryouga. Ukyou is another candidate. Kelun and Happy, she views as
her teachers. She does acknowledge Toofuu and Kasumi as her friends,
her ONLY friends here in Nerima . . . "

"What about Hiroshi and Daisuke?!" Akane demanded.

Negako shook her head. "They are ultimately not relevant. Hiroshi
and Daisuke have consistently made one grave mistake when it comes to
how they look upon Ranma. They assumed subconsciously from the
beginning that Ranma experienced the same social upbringing they
themselves experienced. That, as you are aware, is nowhere NEAR the
truth." A pause. "Do you realize that Ranma's first sexual
experience came from a magically-induced dream Chikage crafted for her
last Wednesday evening on Promised Island?"

"That can't be true!" Akane blurted out. "What about all the times
he sneaked into my room or the change room at school . . .?!"

"AKANE!" Negako snapped, making the youngest Tendou duck.

Silence fell as they considered what Negako had said. Yuka then
sighed. "Surely, Ranma's not gay . . .?" she stuttered, and then she
moaned, slapping her head. "Oh, gods! And with what you just said
Jusenkyou did to him . . . "

"That added to a deliberate veil Genma forced over Ranma to ensure
she could concentrate SOLELY on the martial arts, that augmented with
Akane's attitudes when it comes to inter-gender relations, plus
Shanpú's more blatant approach to the question AND the mixed signals
those such as Daisuke and Hiroshi have given Ranma . . . " Negako's
voice trailed off, a smile crossing her face. "Akane, do you truly
believe Genma could have been responsible enough to give Ranma the
'Talk' during their journey? Especially given how adamant Genma was
about uniting his school with your father's via a marriage between
Ranma and either yourself, Nabiki or Kasumi?"

Akane moved to reply. She paused, looking at the table as she
considered what Negako just asked. Finally, she shook her head.
"No."

"Do you believe Nodoka would have done that?"

That question earned a snorted laugh from Nabiki. "Mrs. 'You Have To
Be A Man-Above-Men Or Else Commit Seppuku?!' Not likely!"

Yuka stared quizzically at Nabiki. Akane nodded in agreement. "Has
ANYONE given Ranma-san the 'Talk,' Negako-san?" Chigaiko asked.

"Sakuya did. On Wednesday evening before Chikage got to her."

Silence.

"I never realized . . . " Akane whispered.

"Both by accident and deliberate action, you were not allowed to
realize that," Negako stated. "By 'deliberate action,' I mean those
who fed into your own assumptions and delusions concerning your life
and those who interact with you. Take what Tatewaki has tried to do
with you. He tried to force you into doing something you did not
desire. Then, when he galvanized most of the boys at your school to
participate in the 'Fight for Akane's Heart,' he made you believe boys
were, without exception, 'perverted.' No one tried to correct your
assumption. When Ranma came, your assumption -- added to her
embarrassment, confusion and shame over her condition, not to mention
her inability to perceive of any way of resolving this outside the
circle of a martial arts battle -- started a process that could have
easily led to an eternity of hatred and mistrust. That process being
constantly fed by two men who had no idea what they were doing, not to
mention one sister who blatantly ignored what was happening to her
family, not to mention another . . . " She glanced at Nabiki. "Who
was so determined to keep her family safe and secure, she was willing
to do anything, regardless of legality, to see that happen."

Nabiki bowed her eyes ashamedly. Akane's fists squeezed together,
fresh tears streaking down her cheeks. Yuka and Chigaiko shook their
heads in mute sympathy. "I never thought it was THAT bad," Akane's
friend whispered.

Negako gazed on her. "You were not permitted to perceive the truth.
And even if you could have determined that, you would not have been
permitted to change things, especially when it came to Ranma's
independence. Souun and Genma would not have tolerated ANY such
interference to their overall plans. Look how badly they reacted when
Ranma began to associate with my family?"

Nabiki grimaced. "You have a point. The instant Dad learned about
that court injunction against our family, he was ready to keep on
charging ahead . . . " She made a dismissive wave with her hand.
"Stupid fool!"

Negako nodded. "Nabiki, you may tell Kasumi that if Souun continues
on his current path, arrangements can be made to see him stripped of
his position as head of your household, thus transferring legal
leadership of your family to Kasumi. If you feel it necessary to
carry out such, you may contact me at any time." A pause. "And I
must warn you both now." She glanced at Akane, and then at Nabiki.
"I believe Souun is ready to carry out yet another of his schemes to
force Ranma to conform to his will. You both best be on your guard."

The Tendou sisters nodded.

* * *

"No . . . this can't be true . . .!"

Souun quaked as he scanned the papers spread across Nabiki's desk.
The one in his hand, the copy of the records printed out from the
Family Registrar's master database, was under serious threat of being
shredded. "A girl . . .?" Souun hissed, his eyes narrow as he focused
on the "onna" kanji beside Saotome Ranma's name. "That fool boy
actually tricked them into thinking he was a girl . . .?! How DARE
he . . .?! HOW DARE HE?!"

Catching himself, Souun placed the sheet on the desk. He leaned back
on Nabiki's chair as his mind rolled through what he just read. In a
way, he could admire Ranma's strategy. Regardless of how attitudes
were becoming more liberal in certain sectors of society -- though he
personally felt it offensive that some in Japan were advocating
greater liberties for homosexuals, not to mention Japan's sizable
Korean community and even . . .! *Ugh!* Burakumin?! -- it was still
illegal for two girls to marry. If Ranma wanted to avoid his
"engagements," having himself legally declared a girl WAS the right
way to go.

And doing such would be choice revenge on both Genma and Nodoka. For
so long, both had relentlessly pressured Ranma down a narrow-minded
path in hopes of making him the "perfect" man. TOO narrow-minded,
Souun often felt, though he hadn't said anything to Ranma's parents
about it. Indeed, the poor boy did lack much in the way of knowledge
that would have made an eventual marriage to one of Souun's daughters
work much better. But the threat of seppuku if Ranma failed to be a
"man above men" had kept his tongue still. It wasn't necessary
anymore. Genma was dead -- *May the gods look after him now,* Souun
tearfully lamented -- and Nodoka had been, in all effect, shoved out
of the way. After all, in the wake of over a decade of hoping to see
her child become a "man above men," learning that Ranma was presently
supposedly shifting himself to become a girl wouldn't sit well with
Nodoka. No, indeed it wouldn't . . .

That didn't change Souun's priorities. Ranma WOULD marry one of his
children. There was no changing that. Regardless of whatever
interference the Moroboshis could throw up, Ranma WOULD marry one of
Souun's children. The future of the schools WOULD be ensured
regardless of what Ranma, much less Kasumi, Nabiki or Akane, said or
believed. And there was just NO WAY that Souun was going to let all
the lies and half-truths in the papers spread before him stop that
from happening. Oh, no! Not after all this time . . .

A smile crossed his face as he stepped out of Nabiki's room.
Descending to the main floor, he peeked into the kitchen. Good.
Kasumi was gone. No doubt, she was speaking to Ono Toofuu about
pressing on with her post-secondary education. While Souun didn't
want to make any decisions for or against what Kasumi might desire, he
certainly didn't approve of her standing against him when it came to
the future of the family, much less the union of the schools. He
would have to put her in her place very soon. The same very much
applied to Nabiki, Souun grimaced as he stepped out of the house. The
very fact that she had just THREATENED to come after HIM, to strip HIM
of all that was rightfully his, just to make him conform to what Ranma
might ultimately desire . . .?! A growl escaped him as he turned,
heading for the doors leading to the cellar under the main house.
No! That would not do. That would certainly NOT do. HE was the head
of this household, not Nabiki and certainly not Kasumi.

At least Akane understood that . . .!

Opening the cellar -- Souun always kept the keys to this part of the
house in his personal possession; not even Kasumi was allowed into
this place -- he crawled inside, making his way to a dark corner.
"There you are." He chuckled as he drew back an old blanket to reveal
a certain cask that had arrived at the doojou some weeks back. "All
safe and sound."

Souun guided the cask out of the cellar. Once the doors were secured
again, he hefted it into his bedroom. Much that he did respect his
friend, Souun knew Genma a little TOO well. The instant the existence
of the cask of Nanniichuan was made public, Souun knew that Genma --
not to mention the Hibiki boy and that China boy -- would have made a
grab for it. Well, lucky for him that he got hold of another cask
filled with ordinary spring water to ensure that the true prize would
remain under his control.

Placing the cask in his linen closet, Souun walked over to the small
memorial to his late wife. Opening a shelf under the butsudan, he
drew out a folded sheet of paper. Opening that, he scanned the note
written there, nodding. Well, even if the Jusenkyou guide didn't
speak Japanese very well, he could write legibly. And the
instructions on that piece of paper were simple enough for Souun to
understand. "It can only work for one," Souun whispered as he folded
and slipped the sheer into the shelf. "Which one, though?"

* * *

The remainder of the day progressed quietly for Ataru, Ranma and the
sisters. Much to Ranma's surprise, none of the sisters had made any
open comment about the healed bullet wound on Ataru's right shoulder.
She did note the looks of concern from Hinako and Kaho. And Ranma
definitely heard a "Kusun!" from Aria when the young Parisian stared
intently at Ataru one time. It went no farther than that. No doubt,
the sisters believed that since Ataru didn't seem bothered by it, they
shouldn't panic about it either.

Chikage had rejoined them all around mid-afternoon bearing an
invitation from Ono Toofuu for Ranma to come by the clinic before the
end of business hours. As to what the sorceress had been doing, no
one had an idea. To Ranma's surprise, no one pressed her for details.

After a quick visit to the Tomobiki Pizza Emporium, the most popular
eatery in town with Tampopo's having moved away, for some take-out --
yes, even Shirayuki liked the idea of taking a break from the kitchen
-- the gang made their way into Nerima. Sitting beside Ataru as they
watch the scenery, Ranma could only smile. Another day was coming to
an end, one where she didn't have to deal with insane challenges,
jealous fiancées -- save for that incident earlier with Akane at
Fuurinkan High -- clueless rivals or anything else. Considering that,
she shuddered as a tinge of disquiet touched her. She then sensed
Ataru gazing at her. They looked at each other, and then she kissed
his cheek. "I'm okay," she whispered, leaning against him as they
held hands.

He smirked. "You were an adrenaline junkie when we met, Ranma.
Something tells me you're starting to go through withdrawal."

Ranma considered that before she sighed. "It's necessary."

"Afraid you're going to make things worse?"

"Pretty much so," she admitted. "I mean, if I get challenged, I'll
take the challenge. Got to keep myself in shape and all that . . . "

"Maybe you should consider only accepting the decent challenges,
Anegimi-sama," Haruka, sitting across from them, noted.

"How would you define something like that, Haruka-chan?"

"Martial arts are a never-ending evolution." She sighed. "My
stepfather told me that it was right for martial artists, especially
those starting their own disciplines, to test themselves against
compatible opponents. I've done that from time to time. I'm sure
Negako-anegimisama did it too when she was wandering around the planet
after being freed of Anigimi-sama's mind."

Rinrin started to laugh. "Like that one guy who came by wanting to
try his so-called 'baka-ken' on you?" she then asked.

Haruka blanched. "Rinrin-chan, PLEASE! Don't remind me of him!"

"'Idiot fist?!'" Ataru and Ranma chorused.

"Hai." Haruka shook her head as she tried not to look nauseous.
"Please, Anigimi-sama, Anegimi-sama, I beg you, don't ASK me what that
insanity was all about! The sooner I forget that fool, the better!"

"He stands a fair chance of succeeding in his quest."

"Chikage-chan!"

More laughter. Sakuya smirked. "The one I really liked was the
fellow who wanted to base his form on using snack food as weapons!"

Ranma's eyebrow twitched. "Snack food?!"

"I don't remember you telling me about that one," Ataru noted.

Haruka's cheeks flamed as she drew her gunsen to fan herself despite
it being quite cool this day. "Well, that particular challenge was
difficult." She flustered. "I confess he was a talented
opponent . . . "

"Oh?" Yotsuba smirked. "Yotsuba remembers Haruka-chan thought that
guy was -- and Yotsuba is quoting here -- 'Very handsome!'"

Haruka's cheeks heated up more. "Yeah, he was a real hottie!"
Sakuya quivered excitedly before she gazed apologetically on Ataru.
"Not that any man would ever hold up a candle to someone like you,
Onii-sama."

"Oh, of course!" Haruka quickly recovered, clearing her throat.
"One simply cannot compare any man to our own Anigimi-sama."

The other sisters nodded. ATARU blushed. "Don't you just hate it
when they butter you up like that?" Ranma whispered to him.

He chuckled. "Well . . . "

Laughter filled the road train as it entered Nerima. Within minutes,
it came to a halt in front of Ono Toofuu's clinic. The chiropractor
stepped out on hearing the road train's horn sound off. He then
smiled on seeing the first person emerge. "Ranma, there you are!" He
laughed as Ranma walked over to embrace him. "How are you?!" he then
asked.

"Pretty okay, Doc!" Ranma pulled away, giving Toofuu a detailed look-
over. "Sorry I didn't stick around too much last night."

"It's alright! Everyone, c'mon in." Toofuu waved them in, and then
he noticed the pizza carried by Shirayuki. "Oh, Shirayuki . . . "

The chef smiled. "Hime wasn't in the mood to cook tonight, but Hime
made sure that Toofuu-sensei wouldn't go without supper."

"I gladly accept such a gift from you with thanks." Toofuu bowed as
he took the pizza from Shirayuki. He then blinked on feeling
something tap his shoulder. "Eh?" He turned to see Betty standing
behind him, dancing and gyrating. "Betty!" he then yelped in shock.

"Waaaaai! Chikage-chan's making Betty-chan dance!" Hinako cheered.

Hearing her name, Toofuu gulped as his glasses fogged over.
Realizing the imminent danger to the pizza they had bought for him,
Ranma snared the box from the chiropractor's twitching fingers before
heading inside. "Betty, what are you doing dancing like that?!"
Toofuu demanded. "This isn't a karaoke bar! I . . .! Betty!" he
gasped as the skeleton took him by the hands and whirled him into the
clinic to the pace of a very fast waltz.

Ataru gazed on Chikage. "Chikage, MUST you?!"

"As I've always said about Toofuu-kun, Ani-kun, he makes me laugh."
The sorceress tittered delightedly as she headed inside.

Already there, Ranma shook her head as she watched Toofuu and Betty
swing around the room. "Note to self: NEVER get Chikage angry at
me," she muttered. She then blinked as a clawed finger tapped her
shoulder. "Hey! How're you doing?!" She turned to see the panda
that had freed the previous night thanks to her and the Fire Scythe of
Death, he holding a broom.

[SURVIVING. HOW ABOUT YOU? NO AFTEREFFECTS FROM LAST NIGHT?]

"Other than the whopper of a nightmare I had this morning about what
happened, not much," Ranma admitted as several of the sisters moved
toward her. "So where're you staying right now? Here or with Hinako-
sensei?"

[HINAKO. SHE'S NICE. SENSEI'S ALLOWING ME TO KEEP GENMA'S OLD JOB.]

"That's cool. Are they going to find some way to make you human?"

[RANMA, I WAS BORN A PANDA, REMEMBER?]

A chuckle. "Right, I forgot! Sorry about that!"

[S'AWRIGHT.]

"Onii-sama, isn't this your father?!"

Ranma jolted, spinning around to see the sisters gazing quizzically
at her and the panda. Realizing that, save for Chikage, none knew of
Genma's ultimate fate, she sighed. "It's something of a REAL long
story, Sakuya-chan."

* * *

"Tadaima!"

"Oh, welcome back, Kasumi." Souun looked up from his newspaper as
Kasumi slipped off her shoes. "How are things with Ono-sensei?"

Kasumi curtly nodded. "He's alright, Father. It's very late right
now. Would you prefer to have some takeout sent in?"

Souun considered that, and then he nodded. "Yes, that sounds very
nice. But PLEASE don't call the Nekohanten!"

"I wasn't in the mood for Chinese," Kasumi lamented. "There is a new
restaurant in Kasuga-chou that we could get take out from."

"Kasuga-chou? That's some distance away."

"True, but the proprietor is willing to make deliveries anywhere in
Nerima if she has to," Kasumi noted. "I'll call her now."

"You know her?" Souun asked as Kasumi headed to the phone.

"Hai. Her name's Kamekichi Tampopo. She just moved to Nerima after
running an establishment in Tomobiki for a couple of years. Ranma-kun
and Ataru-kun both know her. Her cooking's said to be excellent."

"I see," Souun's voice trilled into a knowing hum.

Kasumi stopped, sighing. "Father, you can't hope to keep pressing
this whole matter with Ranma-kun forward."

"It will happen, Kasumi," he evenly declared.

"It can't possibly happen. It's too late," she warned with a shake
of her head. She then sighed, moving to moderate. "Father, honouring
your friend's memory is one thing. I know how much you care for Uncle
and what he tried to do. And I know how important this is for
you . . . "

"Then you understand why I have to do this." He lowered his
newspaper. "Kasumi, it's not just because of what Saotome-kun and I
agreed to do. It's the future of MANY people's dreams. The Master's,
mine, Saotome-kun's, Nabiki's, Akane's . . .! And yes, Ranma-kun's.
I know how much Ranma-kun's suffered because of what his father failed
to teach him. I know that! But . . . " He looked at the table.
"I . . . I know that I haven't been the best father, especially after
your mother passed away. But I still want all of you to be happy, to
have a good life to look forward to. Is that so wrong?"

"No, Father, it's not wrong at all." Kasumi shook her head again as
she sat beside him. "Father, if you really want to have Ranma-kun
come back, to actually see this place AS his home, you HAVE to give
him some space now! That's all he really needs. He . . . " She
paused. "Ranma-kun hasn't had any real chance to make sense out of
his life ever since he came here with his father. He's been deluged
by all the challenges, all the fiancées, all the stupid, weird things
that've happened here . . . " She gazed knowingly at him. "And he
hasn't received any real emotional support from ANY of us, Father.
Not one bit. We've never even ONCE thanked him for the times he stood
up for us, especially when we had to deal with the Chardins or that
Doojou Destroyer, not to mention the times Akane was kidnapped by
whomever came along! And ESPECIALLY when Akane was nearly killed by
Saffron! Is it any wonder that he's so mad at all of us? That he's
now willing to beat us back with everything he has to make us leave
him be? He's TIRED, Father! Very tired!"

Souun gazed at her. "But he's survived to date . . . "

"Life is more than just survival, Father! Life needs to GROW, too!
And Ranma-kun's never had a chance TO grow, not until he met Tampopo-
san, then Ataru-kun, Negako-san and their sisters! Why do you think
Ranma-kun's willing to stay with them? It's because they're ALLOWING
him to be what he chooses to be! They're not pigeonholing him into a
role like we did! WE FAILED HIM, Father!" She gazed into his eyes.
"You, Nabiki, Akane and yes, myself too! If we're to bring Ranma-kun
back here, we HAVE to acknowledge what we did wrong, then move to
reconcile with him using the TRUTH! No more lies! No more
assumptions! No more wild fantasies! Ranma-kun doesn't want that!
He doesn't deserve it! And if we continue as we did before, we
dishonour ourselves!"

Silence fell as Souun considered that. He then slowly nodded before
gazing on the ceiling. "It is hard to accept, Kasumi-chan . . . "

"I know, Father." She squeezed his shoulder. "I think what we have
to do is fulfill what Ranma-kun charged us to do last night."

He stared wide-eyed at her. "To create a martial artist of equal
calibre to him? That could take YEARS, Kasumi-chan!" he protested.

"Unless we accept Ojii-san's and Negako-san's help. Look how fast
Ataru-kun was able to learn his Art?! Granted, he had the advantage
of having Negako-san actually be PART of him for six years, but he
learned quickly when he gained the chance. Surely we could get Ojii-
san to ask Negako-san to do the same for Akane-chan or Nabiki-chan.
Or perhaps both of them at once . . . "

Souun's eyes narrowed. "Yes. But after this morning . . . "

"I know." Kasumi nodded. "That's why I really, REALLY hope you
would just leave Ranma-kun be for the next while. It doesn't have to
be forever, Father. He's too young to get married! And that's not to
mention all the things he has to catch up on because he was gone from
society for so long! Please, just leave him alone. I'm sure that in
time, Ranma-kun'll want to come back. Is it really so much that I
ask?"

He stared at her. "I . . . " He stopped as he considered what to
say. "I'm afraid that if I do that, Kasumi-chan, we'll lose Ranma-kun
forever!"

"If you DON'T do that, you'll drive him away," Kasumi insisted. "And
he's now got many allies who would be willing to help him in an
instant. And this time, I don't think our teaming with Ukyou, the
Amazons and everyone here will help. Ranma-kun's gone out of his way
to ensure everyone has gained some restitution. It's not like it was
before the wedding, Father." A pause as she considered what to say
next. "If we try to force Ranma-kun back here without understanding
his point of view . . . " She stopped, looking at the table. "All
his friends now could turn around and destroy us all, Father. And
what's worse, Ranma-kun wouldn't lift a finger to stop that. I don't
want that! Yes, I want to live my life, do things I've wanted to do
but had to put on hold because of Mother's death. I don't want to see
my family ripped apart because we refused to bend when it comes to
Ranma-kun. Is that what you want?!"

"Of course not! But still . . . " He stopped, shuddering for a
moment, and then he relaxed. "Alright. I'll back away. Perhaps if I
can do something to make Akane-chan or Nabiki-chan more attractive to
him . . . " He glanced her way. "Unless you want to . . .?"

Kasumi shook her head. "No, Father. Much that I do love Ranma-kun,
I would prefer to have him as a brother-in-law, not a husband."

Souun considered that, and then he nodded understandingly.
"Alright."

Kasumi moved to make a call to Kamekichi Tampopo's establishment.
*Hopefully after hearing that, Father'll leave enough alone for the
time Ranma-chan needs to solidify things with Ataru-kun.* She
grimaced, remembering what Toofuu told her in his office earlier that
day. *Not to mention give all of us the chance to make Father see how
wrong he's been . . . *

As his daughter made contact with the proprietor of Nerima's newest
eatery, Souun's eyes narrowed. Yes, he knew what to do.

* * *

To be continued . . .