[Ranma][Fanfic] Crippled - Body and Souls Episode 02

Kevin D. Hammel

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

It was a bit more difficult to get to Kyoto than Ranma had thought. He
*did* end up accepting a ride from Tomoko to the station downtown. His
friend and her husband bought a ticket for Ranma and made sure he was
comfortably seated on the train...

Ranma looked up at his friend, his face showing gratitude, love, and a
*little* hesitation. "Thanks for everything, Tomoko-chan. I'll write ya
when I get settled down, I promise."

Tomoko looked at her former patient. She *usually* didn't get so
involved, but patients usually didn't need what Ranma did. She took his
hands. "I can't wait to hear from you. Good luck..." She let go, and
left the train with her husband, waving a final time to Ranma as the
express pulled out of the station, bound for Kyoto.

***

A Story from "The Bet"
Crippled: Body and Souls

By Kevin D. Hammel
From an idea by Gregg Sharp

Episode 2: The New Heir

Ranma 1/2 is property of Rumiko Takahashi. Publishing rights are held by
Viz in the US and Shogakukan in Japan. My purpose is to honor the
creator and her works. No infringement intended.

***

Small *was* a good description for the apartment, Ranma thought as he
followed the manager in. The middle-aged woman then bowed, turned, and
left the room, closing the door behind her.

The first thing Ranma noticed was two closed doors, one labeled Ranma's.
He went to the door and opened it, rolling inside.

The room was furnished in an almost Spartan manner... a low chest of
drawers, a lamp, and a bed with handrails comprising the furniture. But
it was *his* room, a luxury he couldn't even *remember* having before.
Rolling over to the chest, he opened it, *shocked* to see *his* clothes
inside, all neatly folded, ready for him to wear again. This *had* to
have been an 'inside' job...

The list of candidates for the position of 'Secret Admirer' shrunk with
the latest discovery... to *none*... Akane probably hated him... a
feeling he *would* return, laced with sadness... Nabiki thought of
Nabiki... Kasumi *might* do something like this, but she *wasn't* about
to abandon her family... He *honestly* couldn't come up with a likely
candidate.

Further speculation was dismissed as he moved over to the bed, then
shifted the dead weight that comprised much of his body into it, with
the help of the handrails. He yawned... his stamina *wasn't* what it
used to be... as if anything was... and was soon napping.

***

Another day in this hellhole of a prison, one less day to wait before
Shan Pu got her revenge on girl-Ranma. These fools had no idea *who*
they had incarcerated... She was not of this land of soft living and
softer people. The young Amazon *still* couldn't figure out the
connection between girl-Ranma and her husband, however. Perhaps when
Shan Pu had her enemy's *head*, she would be able to bring her new
spouse to Joketsuzoku in peace...

Shan Pu would wait. Eventually one of her guards would make a simple...
fatal... mistake. Then the girl's head would be hers.

***

Saotome Nodoka heard *two* voices approaching her door... one familiar,
the other youthful and unknown to her. She touched her tanto. She
*would* call her husband to honor... With sadness, she recalled she left
the contract with... the poor, crippled girl. It seemed Genma would
escape *his* fate, after all. The doorbell summoned her back to the
world. Composing herself, she went to answer it.

Nodoka opened the door, seeing her husband for the first time in over a
decade... Tragedy had taken any joy she might have experienced away,
however. "Genma..." She choked on the last syllable, and could say no
more.

"Nodoka, you *must* have heard what happened..." He looked down, his
expression grim.

"Do not worry, Genma. I will *not* be serving as you second today. I
seem to have misplaced the document you marked a decade ago." She
reached down to gently lift her husband's chin so he could not escape
her glare. "Because I give you your life back does *not* mean you are
forgiven, husband. How could you... destroy... my son..." Sobs claimed
her speech.

Genma embraced his wife, offering what comfort he could. "Everything
will be alright, Nodoka, you'll see..."

Nodoka's tears waned and finally stopped. She looked up at boy who had
come with her husband. "May I be so bold as to ask who *you* are, young
man?"

The boy looked somewhat embarrassed. "M... My name is Hibiki Ryouga,
ma'am. Your husband has asked me to be the new heir to the Saotome
School." The youth finished with a bow to the Saotome Matriarch.

Nodoka's mood became a bit more optimistic. Genma had atoned for his
mistake by finding a new heir for the school... "I will be watching you,
Ryouga, judging whether you are a worthy heir to the school." Her gaze
returned to Genma. "It took courage to let go of... the... our son...
and move on. I am happy your legacy is secure, husband. Have you spoken
with the Tendous?"

Genma's face took on the barest hint of a smile. "No, I figured *you*
would want to be there when I told them."

Nodoka bowed. "Thank you. I will be only a moment..." She vanished into
the house, returning with a cloth-wrapped bundle... her family katana.

The three people went to catch a train to the Tendou's neighborhood.

***

As they walked the few blocks from the station to the Tendou home,
Nodoka immersed herself in thought. She had not visited since Keiko
died, a decade ago. Though her husband had never mentioned it, Nodoka
*knew* about the pledge to unite the schools through marriage. She
wondered if Genma's new heir understood *that* obligation.

At last, they reached the Tendou home. Nodoka went to the door and
knocked.

***

Kasumi heard a knock at the door. Answering it, she saw a tall woman
with dark red hair. Behind her were Mr. Saotome and... Ryouga? Kasumi
put a smile on for her guests. "Welcome to the Tendou home madam, I am
Kasumi." She gave a slight bow.

The woman responded, pain evident on her face. "I am Saotome Nodoka."

Kasumi took in a sharp breath, then smiled again, though with a bit more
struggle. "Ranma's mother?"

Nodoka nodded once.

Kasumi's expression flowed from cheer to compassion. "We're sorry about
what happened to your son."

Nodoka's face was expressionless. "As am I."

Kasumi frowned slightly in concentration. Nodoka's reaction seemed...
different from what she would have expected. She put her cheerful face
on again, bowing. "Come in, please... All three of you."

When the guests were all in the house, Kasumi turned and called
"Father... Mr. Saotome is back. He brought guests with him!" She *hoped*
a visit from his old friend would cheer him up...

***

Nabiki heard Kasumi's call from her room, but *really* didn't want to
see the *panda* right now. After a while, she heard that, for the first
time in weeks, daddy *seemed* to be in good cheer... What was going on?
She put her manga down to investigate...

***

Kasumi *tried* to remain smiling, despite the *horrifying* scene
unfolding before her. Struggling to keep her composure, she *forced* a
mask of cheerfulness onto her face, rising. "Excuse me, I need to do
some shopping for dinner tonight." She looked thoughtful, her eyes on
Genma. "I trust you three *will* be staying?"

Genma grinned hungrily at the offer. "I'd *never* turn down *your*
cooking, Kasumi... Thanks!"

"You're welcome." Kasumi got up and left. By the time she had reached
the sidewalk in front of the house, she could no longer hold off
tears... How could father and Akane so casually discard Ranma? He was
such a sweet boy, just hopelessly immature... A visit to the hospital
would allow her to find where his ashes rested. She *needed* to visit
him right now...

***

Nabiki saw Kasumi get up and leave. She knew her sister well enough to
see that something had upset her terribly... What could it be? A glance
to the couch showed *part* of the answer. Ryouga sat next to Akane...
lightly grasping her hand. *What* was going on?

***

Soun heard his middle daughter come down the stairs and turned toward
her, a smile a month in coming lighting his face. "Nabiki, Uncle Saotome
has come with *wonderful* news! He has chosen Ryouga here as his new
heir, and Akane has agreed to accept an engagement with him! Our schools
will be joined at last!"

Nabiki's face was unreadable, as usual. Inside, she was seething. She
wasn't *used* to getting emotional like this, but she *was* used to
hiding it. She couldn't *wait* to talk to Kasumi...

Akane looked at her sister with a smile, then glanced at Ryouga. "Excuse
me." She whispered.

"Uh... sure." Ryouga replied, *clearly* uncomfortable. Without Saotome
in the picture, did he *really* love Akane?

Akane hurried over to Nabiki and embraced her, whispering in her ear. "I
*know* Ryouga *loves* me... Besides, he's *not* a cursed pervert!"

Nabiki felt just a touch queasy. "Uh, yeah, Akane... right! I'm *so*
happy for you." She said, trying *hard* to reign in the sarcasm... as if
her love-struck sister would notice. "Please tell Kasumi to come up and
see me." Nabiki said before turning to ascend the stairs.

"What a strange girl." Nodoka observed, her eyes following the middle
daughter to her room.

Soun turned to his friend's wife. "When you get to know Nabiki, I'm
*sure* you'll learn to like her, Nodoka."

Genma grinned with good humor. "Hai, Tendou. Nabiki *is* an acquired
taste!"

Soun smirked at Genma. "Do you *always* think of food, old friend?"

Both men exchanged a chuckle.

Nodoka thought about what had brought them to *this* point, pain
flickering across her face for a moment. It was *obvious* Nabiki knew a
*lot* more about this Ryouga than Akane. *What* was this boy's secret?

***

Kasumi returned home from shopping with a bag of groceries, noting the
guests were still seated on the couch talking with father and little
sister.

Soun looked at his eldest as she passed. "Kasumi?"

"Yes, father?" Kasumi cheerfully replied, turning.

"Nabiki wants to talk to you..."

"Thank you, father. I'll be up to see her after I put this food away."
Kasumi turned and walked into the kitchen.

***

Nabiki heard a knock on her door. "Who is it?" She really wasn't in the
mood for visitors right now...

"Kasumi, little sister."

Nabiki's face brightened *a little* to merely expressionless. She *was*
in the mood to see Kasumi. She got up and opened the door, stopping only
long enough to pick up an envelope she'd been waiting to show her big
sister... When the time was right. "Come in."

Kasumi opened to door to see her little sister looking at her
expectantly. Kasumi turned and closed the door. "Nabiki, I found out
Ranma's alive!" She said in a low voice, not wanting the celebrants
below them to hear the news.

Nabiki gave her smirk. "Well, big sister, perhaps you're ready to see...
This." She handed the envelope addressed to 'The Tendous' to Kasumi.

Kasumi looked at the envelope, realizing it was the one Nabiki had
received a couple of weeks ago. She looked up from it, a *little* cross.
"It says this letter is for the Tendous... That includes *me*, little
sister!"

Nabiki's smirk decreased slightly, "Kasumi, I'm really sorry. I just
wanted to try to help Ranma... And the best way to do that was to get
him *out* of Tokyo. There's just to many bad memories here for him...
Too many people who would be *disappointed* he's not dead."

Kasumi closed her eyes for a moment, seeking composure. She opened them,
looking straight at Nabiki. "But what about *me*, Nabiki? I'm as upset
as you about how quickly father and Akane forgot about Ranma. Why didn't
you tell *me*?" She asked, with an *almost* angry look.

Nabiki's smirk vanished; as she let a little pain escaped her grasp...
only to appear on her face. "I wanted to make sure things are taken
care of before I told *anybody*. I had to see if the rest of you
actually *cared* about Ranma before I said anything." Her expression
struggled to become a smile. "I'm glad *you* do, big sister."

Kasumi's anger vanished. "So, do you know where Ranma is?"

"Of course, he's staying in an apartment I rented for *both* of us in
Kyoto. I'd be *happy* to find a three bedroom apartment, if someone else
wanted to move in..." Her smirk had returned.

Kasumi looked thoughtful. "Kyoto? But that's *so* far away!"

Nabiki nodded in agreement. "Exactly. There, Ranma can *stay* dead...
It'll be a long while before they find us."

Kasumi offered Nabiki her hand. "I'll help you, little sister. And
someday, I'll join you, I promise." Kasumi couldn't even remember the
last time she had seen Nabiki smile, but she was *certainly* smiling
now.

"Thanks, big sister. I *knew* I could count on you!"

Kasumi got up, cheer replacing joy on her face. "I need to prepare
supper, Nabiki."

"Sure, Kasumi"

Kasumi left, closing the door behind her.

***

Ranma decided he'd come up with a way to *try* to get back in shape.
After dressing himself in a warm-up suit, he rolled out the door of the
apartment, locking it behind him. He remembered, with a bit of pain, how
Akane always liked to jog in the morning. Perhaps he could do *his*
version of jogging to get back into shape. On that thought he rolled
down the street, picking up speed as he went.

***

Sunday morning... School would start (for *him*) tomorrow, and Ranma
realized it was *much* more important than it had been in the past. He
didn't have the promise of the dojo *or* the Art to fall back on
anymore. As he maneuvered himself to the tub after his morning 'jog' he
wondered just *who* his 'secret admirer' was... Being away from Tokyo
and all the memories *there* had done *wonders* for his spirits... He
*really* wanted to thank his faceless benefactor.

Just as he settled into the bath, he heard the front door open... He
remembered what had happened the *last* time someone had walked in on
him in the bathroom. He saw the doorknob turn, as the door opened from
the other side...

His secret admirer had come to see him a last. He looked up to see...
"Nabiki? What are *you* doin here? Did Akane send ya or somethin?"

Nabiki smirked at him. "That wasn't *quite* the greeting I wanted
Ranma... It *was* the one I was expecting!"

Ranma returned the smirk. "Well, at least you didn't slap me and call me
a pervert..." His expression darkened. "What would a *girl* see in me
anyway? It's not like I can really offer em much anymore, ya know..."

Nabiki's expression became a *little* concerned. "Don't say that, Ranma.
I thought you were cute when I first saw you."

"But I was a girl then..."

"Yeah, you *were* but it seemed that you got *even cuter* with hot
water."

"Don't say that to Akane... She'd just call me a pervert."

Nabiki looked serious. "Did you *love* her, Ranma?"

Ranma looked agitated. "Why would I love that *stupid* tomboy? Or any
*stupid* girl." He tried to swallow the last 'girl', but couldn't... He
also couldn't hide a bit of love he *still* hadn't gotten over.

Nabiki looked right into Ranma's eyes, "I didn't come here looking for a
boyfriend, or to play any *stupid* games, Ranma." She looked at the
floor, but continued to talk. "My clan let you down, and I wanted to
make up to you for that. *I* hurt you by making fun of your curse and
making money off it." She looked into his eyes again. "When you're well
enough to support yourself, I'll go... if you want me to."

Ranma could only look at her... He was a *guy* and Nabiki was just...
someone he *needed* to help him right now. Someone who *cared* for
him... "Thanks, Nabiki. Now, doncha forget, I ain't lookin for a
girlfriend or nothin."

"And I ain't lookin for a boyfriend or nothin, Ranma." Nabiki echoed.
"Just a friend... Friends?"

"Uh, OK. Friends, Uhhh... I... guess." He looked up at her and *tried*
to smile. She wasn't cute or nothin, but *somehow* she seemed a lot
nicer than she'd been... Well, *maybe* she was a *little* cute.

Nabiki read his face, word for word.

(END)
***
Once again, thanks to Gregg (MetroAnime) Sharp for coming up with this
interesting scenario.

Thanks again to pre-readers James Lee and Mike Koos.

Finally, thank *you* for reading!

Fred Herriot's story: "Like A Phoenix from the Grave" starts after this
tale. I am working on my own storyline as well, though a special 'guest
author' will write the next chapter...

All stories are available on my website:
http://www.geocities.com/~khammel/BetCrip/

Kevin D. Hammel
February 11, 1999

kha...@mail.geocities.com