[UY/Ranma/SisPri][FanFic] Lonely Souls - Prologue "A" Side (2/2)

pye...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 7:44:40 PM8/19/07
"Hey, Ataru. What did Negako-oneechan mean?" Ten-chan asked.

Two hours after meeting Kay and Jay at Tampopo's found Ataru, Lum and
Ten on an island located off the northwest coast of Hokkaido. The
teens stared at the young Oni before Ataru sighed. "She means
something that has a lot to do with her being in my head from when I
was six up to five years ago, when Obaa-chan's friends from Magairu
discovered she was there." He waved them with him towards a large
house. "Let's go to the practice field and I'll show you."

They walked up a stone pathway toward the large mansion that, until
just over a year ago, Ataru's grandmother Nagaiwakai called home.
Staring at the edifice, Lum was reminded of the Mendou mansion. She
was quick to note differences, however. The Mendou home was littered
with all sorts of items indicative of the family's wealth: Statues
galore -- mostly of octopuses, though there WAS that one cursed goat
statue, Lum ruefully remembered -- priceless antiques, old military
gear and the like. The Moroboshi mansion on Rishiri-tou, however, was
spartan in its austerity. Realising that difference between a family
of selfish show-offs and a woman who thought it below her to rub her
wealth into other people's faces, Lum decided that she would have
loved to know Moroboshi Nagaiwakai. *Would she have liked me?* she
mused.

Ataru gazed at her. "Yen for your thoughts?"

Lum sighed before she returned his look. "Gomen. I was just
thinking about how much you'll miss now that your grandmother's gone."

"I guess so. I didn't really get a chance to know her, as you can
guess, but . . . " He paused, directing her around the house to the
farming tract that extended to the centre of Rishiri-tou. "Grandma
was a lot of things, I guess, but she was CARING. She was worried
about me, even living with *them* in Tomobiki." His lips twisted into
a frown, and then he relaxed. "I really wish I understood what
happened between Grandma and . . . well, you know."

He shrugged. "It'll be okay in the end, Darling," Lum promised.

"I hope so." He stared at the side of the mansion, and then he
looked to the fields. Peacefully grazing in the tall grass was a good-
sized herd of dairy cattle, about two hundred head, born of both
Oriental and Occidental stock. Keeping watch on them was a pair of
men dressed in the plain, brown woollen robes of Zephyrite monks.
Ataru gaped. "Damn, they stayed behind?!"

"They were not the only ones, Young Master!"

The voice caused Ataru and Lum to spin around as something leapt out
of the shadows, melting into a lithe teenage woman with long, pony-
tailed black hair. She was dressed in a black bodysuit, a sheathed
shinobigatana strapped to her back. Staring at her, Ataru's eyes
widened. "Jinseiko! Is that you?!"

The woman looked up, revealing a well-sculptured face. However,
there were laugh lines around her eyes. The eyes seemed hooded. No
doubt, Fusegu Jinseiko would carry the pain of her mistress' death to
the grave. "Hai, Young Master." She bowed respectfully before she
stared pleadingly at him. "Sir, I . . . " she started, and then she
collapsed and prostrated herself. "Forgive me! We should've been
there for the Mistress! Please, forgive me . . .!"

"That's enough!" Ataru knelt to help the chief of Nagaiwakai's
kunoichi troupe, the Kuromoroboshi, up. He tilted her face up to
stare into his. "It's over and done, Jinseiko-chan. Yes, I'm
hurting. But Grandma wouldn't want us to flounder along like this,
eh? It's over and done, Jinseiko-chan. Okay?"

Jinseiko blinked before she faintly nodded. "Hai, I understand."

Lum and Ten exchanged a look. Both then tensed as a shadow fell over
them. "Welcome back, Young Master," a grave voice caused both Onis to
spin around and stare UP into a granite-hewn face framed by black
hair, left cheek embossed with the phoenix of the Holy Republic. "It
is good to see you again."

"Brother Sunfire." Ataru walked over, dropping to one knee to kiss
the monk's ring. After the Zephyrite cleric, once Moroboshi
Nagaiwakai's personal advisor, bestowed a blessing, Ataru stood.
"It's good to see you, too." He glanced to the other monks tending
his grandmother's herd. "How many people stayed behind after
Grandma . . .?" He bit his lip before waving around.

"All of us in the cabal who advised her, some of the farm hands, plus
Jinseiko and her co-workers," the monk reported, waving the visitors
with him toward the herd. "Since matters concerning your problems
with those people . . . " -- Lum didn't need to guess who Brother
Sunfire was talking about -- "Have been in limbo since the Mistress'
passing, we haven't been able to decide what to do. Mistress Negako
has been able to help, as has Master Komeru."

Lum blinked confusedly. "'Komeru?'"

"My uncle," Ataru provided. "Where is he, anyway?"

"In Peru or Bolivia last I heard, exploring Inca ruins." Brother
Sunfire sighed. "We tried to get word to those people when the
Mistress passed away. I called Kinshou a fortnight after the Tag Race
ended." He glanced at Lum. "Unfortunately, all she said in return
was . . . " His lips twisted quite distastefully, and then he
sighed. "Well . . . "

"She was happy Grandma was dead and that she'd do everything she
could to get her hands on Grandma's money, right? And that she didn't
care who tried to stand in her way, because she was in the right,"
Ataru guessed.

"In much more vulgar language, I confess." Brother Sunfire nodded in
acknowledgement. "Well, the matter is somewhat better, now."

Jinseiko then tensed. "Young Master? Please . . .?"

Ataru closed his eyes. "No, Jinseiko. Leave them alone."

"But . . .!"

He turned to the leader of the Kuromoroboshi. "I said 'Leave them
alone,' Jinseiko. Killing those two idiots won't do a thing in the
end. Letting them live, in fear of what I COULD do to them, hurts
more."

"Ah . . . " Jinseiko balked, and then she sighed, bowing her head.
"Hai, Young Master, I understand. Forgive me for my impertinence."

Ataru nodded. "It's alright."

Brother Sunfire sighed. "A pity it happened at all."

"Darklight!"

Everyone turned as a monk, a bespectacled fellow who reminded the
visitors of Megane, ran up. "What is the matter?" Brother Sunfire
demanded.

"Forgive me." The younger monk, Lightstar Firewind, bowed before he
stared at Lum. "We received a call from the Special Committee
concerning you and your fellow Urusians, Miss Redet. You're going
home. Tonight."

Hearing that, Ataru jolted, and then he looked nowhere in particular,
his hands clenching. Ten seemed lost as he hovered close to Lum.
Lum's eyes went wide on hearing Lightstar's statement before she bowed
her head. "I see."

* * *

Chikage turned a card.

The Five of Cups.

"A parting?"

* * *

A hand slammed down on the table. "Damn it all, Kay! Is there
ANYTHING you could've done to stop this?! Tried to slow it
down . . .?!"

Kay held up his hand. "Relax!" The look on his face and his
partner's echoed the shock and anger on Ataru's. "The Security
Council caught us by surprise. People got wind of your divorce from
your parents -- probably from spies who've worked in Tomobiki since
after Tag One -- then decided that, since there was now no
'legitimate' reason for her to be here, they'd throw Lum off!"

Ataru blinked. He was meeting the two SCAA agents in the penthouse
apartment of the Toranoseishin Finances building, one of the three
tall skyscrapers located in the heart of Tomobiki. "What spies?!" he
demanded.

"The whole alphabet soup." Jay shook his head. "The KCC, CIA, SVR,
SIS, DGSE, Mossad, CSIS, the KCW from South Korea, the GAB from China,
North Korea's special forces . . .!" A shrug. "Hell, you name it,
they're here somewhere!"

"They came here after the oil incident, when the United Nations
decided to restrict all Galactic Federation aliens to Tomobiki," Kay
added. "And in a way, I can understand. When the Onis came, Captain
Invader spoke to the United Nations directly about the Tag Race,
avoiding any talk with any of the national governments along the way
-- save Japan, of course, when you got selected as Earth's champion.
That sure as hell miffed a few people, especially in Washington,
Moscow, Beijing and elsewhere."

Ataru considered the SCAA agent's words. "Gotcha. When I broke off
from those two idiots and the word got around . . . "

"People saw an opportunity to remind the U.N. of who they were
'working' for." Jay scowled. "The Big Five called for a vote on the
matter six hours ago. It was passed unanimously. THEN Zed . . . " --
Zed was the Director of the Special Committee -- "Got told."

"Cute," Ataru grumbled. "Tell Zed-san he has my sympathies. So tell
me: Is this permanent or temporary?"

Kay shook his head. "Don't know. From what Zed said, one
representative on the Council -- don't know who -- said they MIGHT
allow the Onis to come back IF Lum publicly apologized for the oil
incident, Tag Two and everything else she or her friends from beyond
caused that ended up hurting someone here."

Ataru nodded. "I see. So what happens now?"

Before either of the SCAA agents can answer, Kay's special video cell-
phone ringed. "Kay," he answered it. "What is it, Zed?"

"A Zephyrite destroyer just pulled into orbit over Japan," Zed
reported. "They're beaming Inquisitors down to link up with your team
and Dee's team to deal with Lum and her friends. Is Ataru with you?"

"Yeah, he's right here." Kay waved as Ataru walked up.

The older man nodded on seeing Earth's tag champion. "I'm really
sorry about this, son." He tried to smile. "I heard things were
starting to get better between you and Lum. I wish this didn't have
to happen."

Ataru nodded. "Thanks, Zed-san. Let me see if I can try to get
something better from the Inquisition, alright?"

Zed considered that, and then he sighed. "Don't go overboard."

"I'll try not to," Ataru promised.

* * *

Minutes later, the door leading to Ataru's guest bedroom opened.
Looking in, he frowned on seeing a quivering, wet-faced Lum being held
by Negako. Also there was Kotatsuneko, who cradled a crying Ten.
Fortunately, Ataru understood well about keeping this secret from
certain parties in Tomobiki. Negako assured him earlier that, when
she had arrived in town the previous afternoon, she used her shiatsu
skills to incapacitate Mendou, Megane and the Bodyguards. They
weren't expected to recover for another two days at least.

Far too late to "help" Lum.

Gazing at the giant cat-ghost, Ataru smiled, gently stroking the fur
on Kotatsuneko's head. "Thanks for coming."

Kotatsuneko smiled, and then he stared at Negako. "He says he was
more than happy to come at this time and wishes the silly humans in
New York would be more compassionate about matters," the ninjutsu
grandmaster provided.

Ten sniffed, and then he stared at Negako. "You can understand wh-
what K-k-Kota-chan says, Negako-oneechan?" he burbled.

"I can understand the language of all sentient beings on this planet,
even the non-corporeal ones," Negako explained, and then she raised a
finger. "Understandable, seeing that, until five years ago, I was one
of them."

Ataru sighed. "Yeah." He turned to the door. "Gentlemen?"

Kay and Jay stepped inside. Following the two SCAA agents into the
room were two young Zephyrite men in black, ankle-length robes tied
with gold cord at the waist; Ataru knew that the Lawgivers would be
holstered on thigh straps, easily accessed through a slit in the
robe. Seeing the Inquisitors, the Onis began to quake as Negako
helped Lum stand. Noting the looks on their faces, Kay and Jay
exchanged a look, and then the former reached into his jacket pocket
to draw a piece of computer printout, opening it to read:

"Lum no Midorinokaminoke-oni," he began, addressing Lum by her
"tribal" name and not her Imperial one, Redet Lum. He looked at Ten.
"Jariten no Midorinokaminoke-oni. By order of the Security Council of
the United Nations of the planet Earth, under Special Resolution 6964
passed this day in New York City, your visas allowing you to live on
Earth, in the town of Tomobiki, city of Hooya, metropolis of Tokyo, in
Japan, a member nation-state of the United Nations . . . " A pause,
and then he finished, "Are revoked. Thus, you both will vacate this
planet by twelve o'clock midnight local time today, returning to your
home planet. Further, under Clause Two of Resolution 6964, neither of
you will be permitted to take with you any citizen of any nation of
Earth back to your home planet." He indicated Ataru. "To ensure this
happens, Inquisitor-Deacon Malefire and Inquisitor-Archdeacon Skyrain
of the Inquisition of the Holy Republic of Zephyrus are here to
monitor your departure and return to your home planet." He gazed at
the visiting lawmen. "Your Grace?"

The older of the Inquisitors stepped up. "Redet Lum. Redet
Jariten." He thinly smiled, his dark eyes radiating such a level of
menace, it caused even Kotatsuneko to falter. "I trust your affairs
are all in order?"

Lum sniffed, jerkily nodding. "Hai, they are."

"Very well, then." Highridge Malefire stared directly into her
eyes. "Be warned, young lady. There are many on this planet that
would GLADLY see you dragged to their World Court and face charges of
crimes against humanity for what you allowed to happen two weeks ago.
Not to mention all the OTHER times you decided your personal desires
mattered more than the good health of the inhabitants of Earth,
especially your 'husband.'" A torrent of scorn echoed in his voice as
he uttered that word. "While the United Nations has not seen fit to
see you charged, WE will gladly do it for them. But we will respect
their desire that this matter is resolved peacefully. Do NOT cause
problems if you both value your continued freedom. Understood?"

"H-hai," Lum stammered.

Watching this, Ataru quaked, his fists clenching. Damn it, they
didn't need to hold a bloody axe over Lum's head to make her leave the
planet! Calming himself, he cleared his throat. "Your Grace?"

Malefire blinked, and then he turned to Ataru, his icy look melting
into a warm smile. "Young Master Ataru." He politely inclined his
head, his companion doing likewise. "I was overjoyed to be told by
Brother Darklight Sunfire of the wonderful news concerning the
restoration of your memories and your final parting from those
heretics you once called your parents. If you wish to see those
heretics properly punished for their barbarous acts against you and
your truly most righteous grandmother . . .?"

"Thank you, Your Grace, but I believe leaving them to wither on the
vine, with no access to Grandma's wealth, is punishment enough." He
shook his head. "I realise I have no right to ask this, but I will.
Regardless of how the Six Churches may look upon Lum, I'd strongly
hope that you and your comrades will see to it she and her cousin
receive a *safe* escort back to Oni space."

The deacon, a man equal in rank and responsibility to an assistant
police inspector in Japan, blinked. "An . . . unusual request,
indeed, Young Master. Considering her many acts against your own
person . . .!"

"That I would've hoped to have resolved with Lum *without*
interference," Ataru cut in. "Sadly, I accept now that such a chance
has been taken away. But I hope for such a chance in the future.
Surely, you can understand that."

Malefire's eyebrow arched, and then he sighed. "Please understand
why I must say this, Young Master. But I feel you are TOO forgiving
to this woman, not to mention those who've allied with her." He
stared wrathfully at Lum.

Ataru closed his eyes. "Perhaps. But forgiveness is an option I
choose to exercise, Your Grace. That is my right, is it not?"

Silence fell as he considered it. A chuckle then escaped Malefire's
lips. "It is. Very well then. Your friends will make it home, whole
and hearty. Besides, I doubt the Noukiites will foray anywhere close
to Toshitto."

Lum's would-be husband nodded. "Thank you, Your Grace."

With that, Malefire's eyes hardened as he gazed on Lum. "You have
fifteen minutes to say your good-byes. No more."

Lum jerkily nodded. "H-hai!"

The Inquisitors walked out of the room. Jay and Kay exchanged a
look, and then the former patted Ataru's shoulder. "Nicely played."

With that, the SCAA agents stepped out, followed by Kotatsuneko.
Ataru watched them go, and then he turned to Ten. "Didja really mean
that?" the younger Oni asked as he floated up to stare into Ataru's
eyes.

"Yeah, I meant that." Ataru placed a hand on Ten's shoulder. "Now,
listen to me, Ten. I want you to promise me something. I want you to
keep an eye out for Lum, okay?" He pointed to Lum, and then he held
up a finger to emphasize his point. "And tell Benten and Oyuki to
help keep an eye on things, too, alright? It's time for you to become
a big boy now. Can you do it?"

Ten blinked, and then he shakily straightened himself. He bit his
lip, trying not to break down and cry. "O-okay!"

"Alright." Ataru squeezed Ten's shoulders. "Now, remember, Ten.
Wars are not fun, not one bit. Don't take chances, okay?"

"Indeed, he is correct," Negako spoke up. "The fact that Ataru is
willing to turn his back on such a matter does speak highly of him."

Ten blinked. "But you're gonna t-turn him into a great warrior, N-
Negako-oneechan, j-just like you and Nassur-chan are . . . "

"Jariten." Negako stepped up to him, placing her hand on his other
shoulder. "There is a simple philosophy in our clan when it comes to
war: 'Wars do not make one great. Wars normally make one *dead.*'"

"In other words, don't fight unless it's for the right reason and
there's no other choice but to fight," Ataru added. "Okay?"

Ten sniffed. "O-okay. I guess you aren't such an idiot after all."

He tried to smile, looking down. "Yeah, guess not," Ataru mused with
a chuckle, and then he stared at Lum.

"Come, Jariten. We best leave them be."

Negako walked Ten out. "'Bye, Ataru." The young Oni waved.

The door closed behind him. Ataru sighed, and then he turned back to
Lum. She smiled as she sank into his embrace. "Darling . . . "

He kissed her forehead. "Gomen."

"I love you."

Ataru tensed. "Lum . . . "

The Oni stared into his eyes. "Darling?"

He returned her look. "What do you want me to say now, Lum? The
truth or what you've always wanted to hear from me?"

Lum considered that. "The truth," she whispered.

"Okay." He nodded. "The truth is this: At the least, I looked on
you as the most wonderful person ever to enter my life. There were so
many times ever since you came where I pinched myself, wondering what
the hell I did to deserve you. Maybe . . . " He bowed his eyes,
shrugging. "Maybe my doubting it so much lead to a lot of the
problems we had. I'm sorry. If . . . " He bit his lip. Tears
streaked down his cheeks. "If we had the chance, I'd have learned HOW
to love you. That we could've made something special for us.
And . . . " He took a deep breath before drawing her close to kiss
her forehead. "I hope if the chance comes, you'll come back, Lum. I
really do."

"Darling." She pulled away, bowing her head. "I'm sorry I presumed
so much, let them . . . " She gazed out a window at the city beyond.
"Let them trick me into trusting them so much. I . . . " She gazed
at him. "I promise if I come back, I won't let it happen again."

Ataru smiled before drawing her close. They kissed, and then pulled
apart to gaze into the other's eyes. "Be careful, okay?" he
whispered. "If these guys have *that* long a grudge against you, it
isn't going to be pretty."

Lum nodded. "I will."

* * *

Ten minutes later, Lum's scoutship, towing Ten's starboat, lifted
away from Tomobiki for the final time. Launching from her lot near
the Moroboshi home at the same time, Aruka Ran's rose-hued scoutship
joined its tiger-striped counterpart over Shinjuku. Both arced into
the heavens, as if they were flying to the bright Moon overhead.
Then, a grey-hulled Zephyrite destroyer, a flamingo-shaped craft about
the same size as Captain Invader's command battlewagon "Kashin,"
slipped in behind the two Urusian ships.

On the streets of Tomobiki, people stopped to watch, many pointing
and calling out to their friends, quickly spreading the word.
Watching from the top of the Toranoseishin Tower, Ataru shook his
head. "Guess none of those people expected something like THIS to
happen, eh, Onee-chan?" He sighed as he stared at Negako. "You
guessed something like this would happen, didn't you?"

The grandmaster remained nonplussed by his unspoken accusation.
"Yes, I did. There were many scenarios in this situation. Indeed,
some might conclude that my restoring your memories, thus leading to
your rejection of Kinshou and Muchi, DID make this happen. I could
have chosen to stay away and let you live in ignorance. But if that
happened, one of several things might have occurred that would have
lead to a far-less pleasant conclusion for you and Lum.

"The Noukiites are not the only factors to be considered in this
matter. As James and Kevin could have informed you, there are many
governments on Earth who would have done anything to see our planet
forever rid of Lum and her friends. Fundamentalist factions from a
dozen religions. Ultra-conservative social groups and industrial
corporations who, for whatever reason, would not have blinked an eye
if Lum was coerced to their cause. What of Lum's friends? Those you
know and those you do not? What trouble could have arisen from that
quarter, perhaps?" She sighed, turning to gaze on the city. "Knowing
you as I do, I chose the scenario which led to the most peaceful
solution for all."

He considered that. "Yes, it was that, wasn't it?"

"I am pleased you agree." She turned her back on the cityscape,
heading for the stairwell. "Now, it is time for you to learn exactly
WHO you are. We best be out of Tomobiki long before the sun rises,
before any of the fools who normally preyed on you -- those I did not
personally disable myself, of course -- decide to seek you out and try
to ascertain what happened. Agreed?"

Ataru winced. "Yeah, I can do to not see any of those dorks for a
few months, I suppose. What about school and all that?"

"I will have Reigi arrange your withdrawal from Tomobiki High School
as we are travelling, plus ensure no one like Shuutarou learns of it,"
Negako stated as they stepped in, heading towards the suites where she
had stayed last night. "You can be inserted into another school if
you so desire. But that should not concern you at this time, Ataru.
Other matters are more important."

He nodded. "True, true. So where are we going?"

"You will see."

* * *

"This is NHK BS News at fifty minutes after the hour." The reporter
gazed at the camera. "Early this morning, Internal Affairs Minister
Kooga Mogataru announced that the Oni-Urusian princess Lum, who has
been residing in the town of Tomobiki in Hooya, was expelled from
Earth late last night at the direct order of the United Nations. Also
forced to leave Earth, potentially never to return again, are Lum-
san's cousin Jariten and a friend and former middle school classmate
of the Oni princess, Ran. When questioned by reporters, Kooga-daijin
reported that the 'Second Tag Race' factored heavily into the United
Nations' decision to see Lum-san expelled . . . "

* * *

"WHAT?!" Mendou Shuutarou bellowed.

He then gasped, clutching his chest as searing pain overwhelmed him.
"Lum-san . . .!" he rasped, his eyes rolling into his head.

"Young Master!" his bodyguards and servants screamed as they swarmed
him.

* * *

"The room is bare?"

"Yes, Young Mistress." A Kuroko bowed his masked head to the woman
he served. "It appears Moroboshi-sama moved out of his home two days
ago. On overhearing his parents, it appears someone has granted
Moroboshi-sama the legal right to renounce links to his parents. He
has taken advantage of it."

"Do you wish Master Shuutarou to learn of this, Mistress?" another
Kuroko, kneeling beside his co-worker, asked.

"No." Mendou Ryooko shook her head, and then she looked away.
"Ensure he does not learn of this for the time being."

Both Kuroko nodded. "Yes, Mistress."

* * *

"Lum, expelled? And Ran and Ten-chan, too?!" Miyake Shinobu
blinked, the unreality of the moment hitting her like an avalanche.
She then stared at her parents, Toshoba and Kimiki; the Miyake family
was enjoying breakfast. "Who on Earth would ever have imagined
something like that happening?!"

"I wonder what happened to Ataru-kun," Kimiki mused.

"Doesn't say," her husband noted as he read his paper.

* * *

"***CURSE YOU, ATARU! THIS IS ALL YOUR FA- . . . URK!***"

Aisuru Satoshi -- "Megane" as he was known to friends and classmates
-- gasped before slumping into his bed, his hand clutching his heart.
Staring at him, his mother Rui shook her head. "Serves you right for
worshipping that . . . that ONI all the time!" she then spat out
before heading to the kitchen.

* * *

"Momoe-san, what's going on here?!"

"I've no idea whatsoever, Nabiki-san," Marubeya Momoe relayed over
her cell phone. "I don't know when I can get more information,
either! But I AM going to find out about this! If she's really
gone . . . "

"Hai, hai, got you . . .!"

*CRASH!*

"***BAKA OYAJI! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!***"

"What was THAT, Nabiki-san?!"

Tendou Nabiki glanced at the door of her bedroom. She was dressed in
her kimono. "By the sounds of it, Ranma-kun just got wind of my
father's and Uncle Saotome's LATEST stupid brainstorm," she muttered.
"Anyhow, I've got to go."

"They're too young to get married now, Nabiki-san."

"Agreed. That's why it won't happen. Keep me informed, okay?"

"Right."

* * *

"It is clearly a conspiracy against the Goddess!"

"Agreed!"

"Where is the Great Evil now?!"

"No idea! We're searching for him, but it seems as if he has
vanished from the Holy City itself! Should the President be
informed?!"

"Immediately!"

"Hai!"

* * *

"An ill-wind," Cherry mused, gazing at the morning air.

* * *

By that time of the day, the potential object of interest to many in
Tomobiki was crossing an isthmus of sand littered with seashells
towards a five-kilometre wide island sitting in one arm of the Sagami
Sea south of Tokyo. Like Negako, who walked ahead of him towards
Oomure-jima -- Promised Island -- Ataru was dressed in hiking gear, a
backpack slung over his shoulders. His eyes darted from the sand at
his feet to the water to the island. They then stopped on focusing on
what sat on the island's highest point: A gold-brown statue
resembling a nude, smiling, super-deformed pygmy dancing the hula.
"I've got to say this, Onee-chan: That has GOT to be the weirdest
statue I've ever seen! Even the octopus statues on Mendou's pad have
more class!"

"I do not consider myself a connoisseur of artwork, but many people,
I believe, will agree with you, Ataru," Negako replied, her eyes
warily turning left and right as she gauged how close the sea was from
her feet.

Ataru sensed the tremor in his sister's normally ramrod-straight
body. He squeezed her shoulder. "I'd think you'd finally be over
your hydrophobia."

Negako relaxed, touched by his concern. "It has been difficult."

He chuckled. Within minutes, they stepped into the lee of the
Island, making their way to a ladder to get them onto First Street.
Climbing onto dry land, they stretched themselves. They then turned as
a wry-looking gentleman in his sixties came up. He projected the air
of the classic old man of the sea. "Ah, Negako-san! There you are!
I see you brought your brother with you!"

Negako stared at him. "Indeed, I have. Were arrangements with
Welcome House made for Ataru's accommodations?"

He nodded. "Hai, hai, all ready to go! Maybe when you leave the
island next time, you'll take the boat like normal people do."

"Onee-chan's not 'normal,' Jii-san." Ataru patted Negako's
shoulder. "What exactly IS Welcome House, anyway?"

"The island's youth hostel," Negako explained. "This way."

* * *

Going *this* way for five minutes lead Ataru and Negako to a dead-end
lane. Past an archway announcing they had just come to WELCOME HOUSE,
they found themselves looking at a three-floor Victorian-era commons.
That was framed on the side closest to the shore by a three-floor
rotunda topped with a lightning rod, the other by a circular chapel
complete with bell tower. Negako directed her brother towards the
rotunda. "Nice place." Ataru then whistled before he took note of
several lights being on in the rotunda. "We alone?"

"No, there are others here. Children of parents who work on the
mainland or abroad," Negako reported as they walked into a foyer
framed with stairs leading to the second floor. Under the second
floor overhang was a hallway and doors leading to a central room.
Negako guided Ataru to his right past that to the first apartment,
which was located beside a storeroom. "Here."

Ataru noticed that a sign with his name was posted there. "Guess
they think of everything." He opened the door to look inside.

*POP!*

*POP!*

*POP!*

*POP!*

"***WELCOME HOME, BIG BROTHER!***"

Ataru balked, his eyes wide. Confetti from noisemakers showered him
as he blinked, stunned to see four girls awaiting him.

To his left sat a girl of about fifteen, with golden-brown eyes and
long brown hair, part of it styled in beautiful French braids. She
was dressed in a ruffled shirt with string tie over a thigh-length
skirt.

Sitting in front of the girl with the French braids was a pixie-cute
eight-year old with purplish eyes and dirty blonde-brown hair done up
in side ponytails. She wore a gold dress with string tie and a black
petticoat.

To Ataru's right was a slender woman, about his age, with royal blue
eyes and brown hair done up in twin Usagi-like ponytails (sans
odangos). She was draped in a black-and-blue T-shirt and a false-
leather skirt.

Sitting before that girl was a cute twelve-year old with maple-fudge
eyes and neck-length brown hair partially covered by a white
headband. She wore a green-and-white seifuku top with a blue-and-
white plaid skirt.

Negako stepped up beside him, nodding. "I see you received my
message."

The girl with the long ponytails smiled. "We had to rush some things
to make sure Onii-sama's homecoming was done right, Onee-sama."

The girl in the seifuku blinked. "Onee-chama, didn't Onee-chama say
that Onii-chama would be coming with Onii-chama's girlfriend?"

The girl with the braids stared at the other girl. "Kaho-chan,
didn't you see the news? They sent Onii-chan's girlfriend home."

"That means Onii-tama and Onee-tama can read to Hina even more!" the
littlest girl gushed, leaping up to hug Negako's legs.

Ataru blinked, and then he shook his head. "Er . . .!" He slapped
the side of his head. "Not that I don't mind the reception, but what
the heck's going on here, anyway?! Why are you girls calling me 'big
brother' . . .?"

"They have more than enough reasons to do so, Ataru." Negako smiled,
and then she proceeded to perform introductions. "May I present
Tanenobu Karen," -- she waived to the girl with the French braids --
"Eigo Kaho," -- the girl in the seifuku -- "Sukeyama Sakuya," -- the
oldest girl.

"Don't forget Hina!" the youngest then chirped.

"Ah, yes. And Saeru Hinako. They . . . " Negako then turned to
gaze at Ataru. "Are your half-sisters."

Silence.

More silence.

Still more silence.

Sakuya blinked. "Onii-sama . . .?"

Ataru swayed. "Half-sisters . . .?"

He dropped, his eyes spiralling as his mind overloaded from that
bombshell. "Onii-chan!" Karen called out as the girls crowded him.

* * *

"So what made Onii-tama faint, Onee-tama?"

"You should've warned him ahead of time, Onee-sama!"

Ataru moaned, he presently finding himself staring at a glass ceiling
crossed by timbers in a pentacle pattern. The room that ceiling
topped was circular, the walls an evergreen shade. Looking to his
right, he found himself staring into Hinako's face. "Onii-tama, are
you okay?" the young girl asked.

Ataru blinked, and then he reached over to gently touch the young
girl's nose. "You're . . . really . . . my sister?"

"Ah, I see you have recovered." Negako stepped into his viewing
range, leaning down to gaze into his eyes. "And yes, as I said before
you fainted, they are your half-sisters, Ataru. You all share the
same father."

He took that in, and then he sat up. A quick glance around revealed
that Karen, Kaho and Sakuya were sitting beside a large, round table.
A dining room, he noted. Ataru then stared at Negako. "How the hell
is THAT possible, Onee-chan?" he sharply demanded. "I mean, when
did . . .?"

"During the early part of his marriage with Kinshou, Muchi often did
work for Nagaiwakai and Komeru on Oomure-jima," the grandmaster
reported, placing a hand on Hinako's shoulder. "It appears that at
that stage of their marriage, Muchi had not emotionally committed
himself fully to Kinshou. Fortunately, since he was Nagaiwakai's son,
there were many on the island receptive to his feelings. Karen, Kaho,
Sakuya and Hinako . . . " -- she indicated each of the girls as she
named them -- "Resulted from that."

Ataru sighed. "And everyone says **I** had no tact?" he muttered to
himself before burying his face into his hands.

"It's alright, Onii-chan." Karen sat beside him, placing a hand on
his shoulder. "Believe me, I always wondered why Tou-san . . . " She
stopped, and then she sighed. "Well, my stepfather, I should call him
-- was always distant to me when I was growing up. But when Onee-chan
came and told me the news, I . . . " She shuddered, her joy radiating
from her like a nova. "Oh, it made me feel so happy to know I have a
brother, not to mention sisters, too!"

She indicated Negako and the others. "Kaho really liked it when Onee-
chama came and told her the truth!" Kaho gushed, and then she knelt
before Ataru. "Now Kaho can cheer Onii-chama while he's training with
Onee-chama!"

Ataru blinked. "Er . . . well . . .!"

"It's alright, Onii-sama." Sakuya placed a restraining hand on
Kaho's shoulder as she gave him a smile. "This is all new to us,
too!"

"Hina's happy Onii-tama is here!" Hinako declared as she walked over
to hug one of Ataru's arms. "Now, Onii-tama can take Hina out to find
Kuma-san and read books to Hina and eat fruit parfait with Hina
and . . .!"

"Hey! He's OUR big brother, too, you know!" Karen gently scolded.

The sisters exchanged wary glances. A grin split Hinako's face.
Soon, laughter filled the dining room. Even Negako seemed to have
room for a smile. Ataru watched this, and then he took a breath
before shrugging. "Well, this will take some getting used to!" he
announced with a chuckle, pulling himself out of Hinako's embrace,
though he held onto hers and Karen's hands. He then stared at
Negako. "I take it Muchi never knew about any of this."

"No," Negako replied with a shake of her head. "Nagaiwakai ensured
there was no way that Muchi, Kinshou or anyone else would learn of
this. After all, given the way our clan's leadership succession
works . . . "

Negako indicated Sakuya with one hand, an eyebrow arching knowingly.
Ataru nodded. "Gotcha. Instant she comes of age -- I think we have
to get her on our family register, too -- she becomes the next
Matriarch."

"Exactly." Negako nodded, and then she blinked, her eyes turning up.

"Onee-chan, are you alright?" Karen asked as the others stood up.
She then looked to the ceiling. "What's wrong?"

Negako sighed. "It appears Shirayuki does not listen."

Sakuya blinked. "Shirayuki-chan?! You mean she's the one who made
those awful kimch'i rice puddings last night?"

"Onee-chan, who's Shirayuki anyway?" Ataru wondered, his stomach
automatically doing a flip-flop on hearing the phrase "kimch'i rice
puddings." To him, it sounded like something Lum might have created
on a mad lark.

"Osamu Shirayuki. She lives here, too," Negako explained. Her eyes
then narrowed as her ki senses picked out additional details from one
of the rooms two floors up. "Karen, have some cold water prepared.
Aria, Rinrin and Yotsuba are with Shirayuki in Rinrin's room. They
were affected."

"Hai!"

* * *

Pitchers of ice water and glasses were quickly set out on the dining
room table. Negako went upstairs with Sakuya, Kaho and Hinako as
Karen set things out. Ataru offered to help, but was waved down by
Karen. "It's alright, Onii-chan," the younger girl said. "You just
arrived. We're used to this."

Ataru sighed. "You mean bad cooking?"

"Well, Shirayuki-chan really, really, really tries her best when she
cooks something," Karen moderated. "But then again, she hasn't had
much time to practice. Her parents left her in the House's care only
two months ago."

"Where did they g- . . .?"

The doors flew open. He and Karen watched as the others streamed
in. Negako carried in two girls, though Hinako held one's hand.
Sakuya carried another piggyback-style. Kaho helped a fourth stagger
in. The newcomers were placed in chairs, and then glasses of water
were poured for them. Seeing that, they grabbed the glasses and
chugged them down. "Ah!" one breathed out, scratching the back of her
head. She was a girl of fourteen or so, with brown eyes and mauve
hair bob-curled at her shoulders, held down by a big, black bow tie
shaped somewhat like cat ears. She was wearing a white blouse with
tie, black vest and matching black skirt, plus thigh-highs and mary
janes. "Oh, how could Hime make such an awful mistake with her
kimch'i rice puddings?"

"It's okay, Shirayuki-chan!" the girl beside her replied as she
poured herself another glass. She was on the near side of fifteen,
with brown eyes and dark brown hair cut short at her neck. She was
draped in a green, ankle-length, full-sleeve cheongsam-like skirt with
white collars, welding goggles on her forehead. "It's like science!
You gotta keep testing to make it right."

"Maybe it was that oven you built, Rinrin-chan," the newcomer to
Ataru's right noted, her voice tinged with east end London. The same
age as Rinrin, she had gold-brown eyes and shaggy brown hair done up
in side-by-side ponytails at the back of her head. Further indicating
she was part-English was her clothing: A blue tie with the Union Jack
painted on it, wrapped over a white shirt, that topped with a red
vest, gold skirt and black stockings, the whole topped by a cape
Sherlock Holmes might wear. She had a spyglass in her pocket.

The last of the quartet was a ten-year old dressed in something
straight out of the period Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived in when he
wrote about his detective: A blue-and-white, ankle-length hoop skirt
with bow ties, gloves and more crinoline lace trimming than you could
shake the proverbial stick at. Her platinum hair was covered by a
bonnet, the hair tied in four buns at the back of her neck. As she
finished her glass of water, her purple eyes suddenly fixed on Ataru,
and then they went wide with recognition. "Ah!" She smiled, her
voice airy, her accent strongly flecked with Paris. "Nii-ya! Nee-ya
brought Nii-ya to be with Aria like Nee-ya promised!"

"EH?!" everyone gasped as the other newcomers stare at Ataru, the
Sherlock Holmes-wannabe taking a close look with her spyglass.

Shirayuki bolted up, grinning delightedly. "Nii-sama?!"

"Aniki! You're here!" Rinrin gushed.

"Ani-chama!" The Holmes-wannabe shuddered before she bopped the top
of her head with her fist. "Yotsuba's slipping! Yotsuba should've
checked that if Ane-chama's here today, then Ani-chama came with her!"

Ataru jolted, his eyes going VERY wide before he started to sway.
"No, not you, too . . .!" he moaned before collapsing on the couch.

"BIG BROTHER!" all the younger sisters cried out.

* * *

"Aniki, are you okay?!"

"Ani-chama sure didn't check THAT pretty well!"

Ataru moaned, and then he sat up, noticing that TWICE the number of
girls was staring at him. Shaking his head, he jolted on seeing a
hand holding his left arm at the wrist. Attached to that was Aria.
To his other side was Hinako. "Onii-chan, are you okay?" Karen
asked. "Do you want some water?"

"I . . .!" he stuttered before exhaling, "Onee-chan, if this is your
idea of a surprise, I have to confess, it's working brilliantly!"

Everyone except Negako laughed. "Yes, they are also your half-
sisters," she said as she indicated the newcomers. "Yotsuba Nemain
Dunn, Hatoyama Rinrin, Osamu Shirayuki and Aria Claudia Jeanne
Michelle des Beauchamps."

"Um . . .!" His eyebrow twitched, and then he waved. "Hi, girls!"

"Oh, Nii-sama! Hime's so happy Nii-sama's here!" Shirayuki clapped
her hands in anticipation before a thoughtful look crossed her face.
"Hime should try to make something good for Nii-sama so he can feel at
home here with us!"

Rinrin's eyebrow arched. "Um, Shirayuki-chan, do you really want to
give Aniki a taste of those rice puddings you made last night?"

Shirayuki balked, and then she sighed. "Soo desu no . . . "

"Well, it doesn't mean to stop trying, Shirayuki-chan." Ataru gazed
at her. He then hummed, turning to see that Yotsuba was scanning him
intently through her spyglass. "And what are **you** looking at,
Yotsuba-chan?"

She smirked. "At Ani-chama! Yotsuba is going to keep checking Ani-
chama until Yotsuba learns all of Ani-chama's secrets!"

"Oh?!" His eyebrow arched as he snapped the spyglass away from her.
SHE then got the look-over. "And WHO checks the checker?!"

Yotsuba gargled as some of the others laughed. Ataru then jolted as
Aria gently tugged his sleeve. "Nii-ya." She smiled at him as he
stared at her. "Did Nii-ya walk with Nee-ya to see Aria?" she asked.
"Aria hopes so. Nee-ya doesn't like coming here because Umi-san
scares Nee-ya."

He took that in. Returning Yotsuba's spyglass to her, Ataru then
patted Aria's hand. "Don't worry, Aria-chan." He winked playfully at
the young Parisian. "Nii-ya made sure Umi-san didn't scare Nee-ya."

Aria impishly shrugged. "Kusun."

Suddenly, a rolling sound echoed through the dining room, causing
everyone to look up. "What's that?!" Sakuya demanded.

"Sounds like Mamoru-chan skating around," Kaho reported.

Negako was nonplussed. "Ah, the others are coming now."

Everyone looked at her. "'Others?!'"

Ataru paled. "You mean . . .!"

A sharp *crash!* echoed from overhead, causing people to look up as
part of the glass ceiling fell away, soaring right for Ataru's head.
"ANII! ANEE! EVERYONE! LOOK OUT!" someone screamed from above.

Before it could hit, a flash of steel ripped it in half, sending the
pieces to either side of the room. As the people in the room -- save
Negako -- began to crowd around Ataru, a lithe form landed on the
table, and then she flipped to the floor. "Anigimi-sama, Anegimi-
sama, minna-sama, are you all right?" the newcomer asked in a voice
tinged with the Ruhr Valley of Germany.

The questioner was a woman Sakuya's age and height, with blue eyes
and black hair tied in a high ponytail. She was draped in a pink top
and black hakama over lace-up, high-heel boots. A naginata rested in
her hand. Before people could say a word to her, someone else landed
hands-first on the table, and then somersaulted to the floor beside
the naginata-welder. "Haruka-chan! Mamoru-chan!" Karen called out on
recognising them, and then she gasped as she looked at Negako, stunned
disbelief flashing in her eyes. "Them, too?!"

The second newcomer, a girl of thirteen though looking more mature,
distantly resembled Rinrin, though her chocolate-shaded hair was
shaggier. A cap covered most of that. As befitting one who was a
serious sportswoman, she was dressed in a dark green spandex bodysuit
topped with a green-and-orange track top. In-line roller blades
covered her feet and sunglasses were perched on her forehead. "Sorry
about that, everyone!" she then apologised. "I was trying to get down
the stairs, but when I saw Anii, I got too excited . . . "

"And you might've killed some of us were it not for Haruka-chan,"
Sakuya said as she sent the skater an annoyed look, waving to the
naginata-welder. "Good grief, Mamoru-chan! You KNOW the people
running the House don't like it when you skate around indoors on your
roller blades!"

Mamoru looked miffed. "So?!"

Ataru stared at Negako. "Them, too?"

Negako indicated each girl. "Tenhiro Haruka. Itou Mamoru."

Hearing their names, the newcomers perked, and then they turned to
gaze affectionately at Ataru. "It's so good to meet you at last,
Anigimi-sama," Haruka declared as a blush crossed her face. She then
clapped her cheeks as they reddened to the shade of cherries as she
spun from her brother. "P-poh!"

Mamoru grinned. "Yeah! When Anee told us you can run marathons and
all that 'cause of that alien girl, I got really excited!"

Ataru took that in, and then he stared at Negako. "Is that all?"

The ninjutsu grandmaster moved to answer, and then she turned towards
the doors as a voice almost as timid as Aria's called out, "Hello?
Aneue-sama, did you finally come with Aniue-sama . . . oh! Hello,
everyone!"

People turned as a girl Karen's age, possessing blue eyes under a set
of round-frame reading glasses and long black hair in a thick braid,
stepped in. She wore a white shirt and black vest over a green, ankle-
length skirt. Beside her was a beautiful golden retriever as big as
Hinako. "Marie-chan, what are you . . .?" Karen began before she spun
on Negako, she pointing to the newcomer. "Onee-chan! You don't mean
that Marie-chan's . . .?"

"A half-sister. Yes, Karen. Ataru, this is Susumu Marie. The dog
beside her is her pet, Michael," Negako did introductions.

Marie stared at Ataru, and then her cheeks flamed before she started
to sway. "Oh, Aniue-sama! I'm so glad you . . . you . . . "

She collapsed. "Marie-chan!" Sakuya cried, and then she gasped as a
blur ripped past her to land beside Marie before her head bounced off
the floor. That blur became Ataru as he carried Marie to the couch.
"Onii-sama . . .!"

"Marie-chan, are you okay?!" Hinako called out as Ataru sat Marie
down, and then he moved to pour the dazed girl a glass of water.

A star-shaped patch of light appeared on the dining room table,
causing everyone to gasp as they spun around to look. The light
faded, revealing a girl Sakuya's and Haruka's height, draped in a
solid black cape from neck to toe, a witch's pointed hat perched on
her head. Mamoru tensed on recognising the newcomer. "Oh, man! You
don't mean . . .!" she moaned. "Her, too?!"

The newcomer whipped off the hat and cape, revealing a girl Sakuya's
age with purple hair in a bun at the crown of her head and very dark
eyes. Under the cape, she wore a shirt, red tie emblazoned with a
white Gothic cross, plaid vest, ankle-length grey skirt and a black
blazer. As everyone relaxed, she stared at Ataru, giving him a jaunty
wave. "Ya, Ani-kun. I see all's well."

Sakuya sighed. "Chikage-chan, too?"

Ataru stared at the sorceress, and then he sat down beside the dozing
Marie. "Excuse me, please," he muttered before passing out.

Everyone stared at him, and then they exhaled, even Negako. "I see
Ani-kun took THAT very well," Chikage noted with a titter.

* * *

Ataru recovered, and then he was introduced to the sorceress.
Afterward, he moved into his room. Negako took up residence in a
spare bedroom on the third floor, located between Rinrin's quarters
and the men's furo room. Once everything was squared away, Shirayuki
headed into the kitchen, located between Kaho's bedroom and the foyer
on the ground floor, to whip up a feast in Ataru's honour. To ensure
the would-be chef didn't make mistakes -- especially when it came to
Nii-sama -- Sakuya stayed with her to be the taste-tester.

As that happened, Ataru took some time to visit everyone in their own
rooms to spend time with each. He learned something of their stories,
how they came to be in Welcome House and what happened to their
mothers and stepfathers.

Ataru was quick to learn that Marie was an orphan. Her mother had
died of ovarian cancer when she was in kindergarten; her stepfather
having passed away the previous year, pretty much of a broken heart.

Chikage's mother and stepfather, along with her maternal grandfather,
were "indisposed," whatever that meant.

Haruka's mother had passed away two years before thanks to
pneumonia. Stricken with grief, her stepfather was currently
somewhere in Southeast Asia on a wandering quest similar to the
Australian Aboriginal "walkabout."

Rinrin's stepfather had died in a laboratory accident, but as of yet,
her housewife mother had not elected to come back to the Island.

Sakuya's mother disappeared sometime after she entered junior high.
Try as people might, no one had yet learned what might have happened
to her. That broke her stepfather's heart; he had died two years ago.

The others' families were intact, but all were currently off the
Island, working in Japan or abroad (that being the case of Karen's,
Yotsuba's and Aria's families). Ataru understood; no doubt, when
Negako met his sisters, the fact that they were ALL born out of
wedlock -- and the fact that their being born out of wedlock might
soon go public -- must have hit their parents hard.

He also learned that none of them had either stepbrothers or
stepsisters, but they had friends, save a social recluse like Chikage.

By the time their details were implanted into Ataru's mind, dinner
was served. Shirayuki's determination, added to Sakuya's
watchfulness, produced a meal that, while not up to Kamekichi
Tampopo's standards, was scrumptious! Of course, Ataru did not engage
in the rapid-fire eating style he sometimes used when he got
challenged to a "lunch duel" back at Tomobiki High School. Not only
was that pretty rude, but Shirayuki clearly wanted those who ate her
creations to enjoy every last morsel. Ataru was MORE than happy to
oblige.

After dinner, Rinrin brought in her Rinrin Viewer, a flat-screen 150-
by-120-centimetre television with built-in Internet modem and high-
speed central processor. Everyone pitched in to mount it on the
wall. Once it was in place, Rinrin tried out the Viewer's latest
modification: An AI that was programmed to allow voice-activated
Internet surfing. After the links were tested, Ataru and the sisters
began visiting Web sites from Japan and abroad, all by the power of
their own voices (using written notes on addresses kept by Karen).

One of the websites visited was NHK News Online. To Ataru's
surprise, the article about Lum's departure from Earth wasn't in the
"Top Ten" listings. Quickly shifting to the old news page, they found
the entry, and then logged in. Once there, Ataru was stunned to find
that certain organisations in Tomobiki had, in the wake of the Oni's
departure, spoken out AGAINST Lum's presence on Earth. One of them
was the Tomobiki Parent-Teacher's Association.

Megane's mother Aisuru Rui had made the PTA's statement:

"'Today, liberation finally came for the people of Tomobiki,'" Sakuya
read. "'After two years of numbing uncertainty, interspersed with
moments of terror, the Oni girl Lum and her friends from off-world
have been driven from our planet, hopefully never to return. Despite
the widespread idol-like adoration many of our children, especially
those of high school age, expressed towards the Oni, her living in
Tomobiki was NOT to the benefit of her long-suffering citizens. We,
the parents of Tomobiki, rejoice that the Oni is no longer amongst
us. We hope and pray that the United Nations will ensure that none of
her kind visit Earth ever again.'"

"There's no mention of you, Nii-sama," Shirayuki noted.

Ataru shook his head. "Oh, heck! Don't worry about it. If they
didn't say anything about me, I don't care. It means they're too busy
trying to think up ways of making me their primary scapegoat for
whatever weird thing that might hit that place these days. Especially
since I don't live there now."

"Won't you say something about this, Onii-sama?" Sakuya asked.

He blinked before he shook his head. "No. I've no interest in
allowing any of those clods to get anywhere close to any of you. You
don't deserve that." He then gazed on the Rinrin Viewer. "Still, it
is shocking."

"What is, Onii-chan?" Karen asked.

"That there were people in town who hated Lum." Ataru crossed his
arms. "I always was under the impression that everyone there liked
her."

The others hummed.

* * *

"***NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T GO!***"

It was the middle of the night. The four residents of the rotunda's
ground floor -- clockwise from the front door: Kaho, Sakuya, Hinako
and Karen -- sat up, wide-eyed with shock as that blood-curling scream
echoed through the building. Karen, living in the room next door to
her just-arrived big brother, quickly recognised who was doing the
shouting. "Onii-chan!" she screamed out.

Surging out of bed, she raced out the door as the door to Hinako's
room opened, revealing the youngest of the sisters, her eyes tearing
as she clutched her precious Mister Bunny. "Karen-chan, who
screamed?!" Hinako burbled.

"Onii-chan!" Karen knocked on Ataru's door, and then she opened it
to look inside before stopping, her eyes widening. "Onee-chan!"

Negako looked up from a pale-faced Ataru. Staring at this nearly
ageless entity she looked on these days as an elder sister, Karen was
stunned to see -- well, SOMETHING! -- etched in Negako's brown eyes.
"Onee-chan . . .?"

"No . . . please, Lum-chan . . . don't leave me . . . "

Negako turned to him, the latter quaking as the nightmare seared
through him. She tapped several points on his face and neck to force
him into a deeper sleep. By then, Sakuya, Kaho and Hinako have joined
Karen.

"Onee-sama . . .?" Sakuya whispered.

Negako grimaced. "I should have anticipated this."

"Anticipated what?"

"The backlash the restoration of his memories would have unleashed,"
Negako answered. "While he was in the amnesiac state I placed him in
five years ago, he was unable to tap into his learning and
intelligence potential. It is no wonder that so many in Tomobiki
considered him an idiot; he did not have the mental capacity to truly
evolve and mature himself as most others do."

Karen's eyes started to tear. "Didn't you realise this when you did
this to him in the first place, Onee-chan?"

"I did. But at the time this happened, I was too euphoric at being
free to foresee the potential dangers I was placing Ataru in," Negako
replied as she closed her eyes. She then perked as she detected
something. "Interesting."

"What is it?" Kaho probed.

Negako blinked, pulling her hand away from Ataru. "He will sleep
better this evening." She stood up, moving to step out of the
bedroom. "You may remain here if you wish. I have something to
discuss with Chikage."

She walked out. The sisters watched her depart, and then they
exchanged a look. "There are times I really worry about her," Karen
mused.

Sakuya shook her head. "Nothing you can do, Karen-chan. In a way,
Onee-sama was abandoned to fend for herself just like Onii-sama.
Right now . . . " She gazed on the sleeping Ataru, her eyes tearing.
"All we can do is to be there for them. Be the family they both
really need right now."

The others nodded before they walked out to return to bed. All save
Hinako. The youngest of the sisters walked over to stare intently
into her Onii-tama's face. She then took Mister Bunny and tucked that
into the bed beside him. She kissed Ataru's cheek. "Good night, Onii-
tama," she whispered.

With that, Hinako headed out, closing the door behind her.

* * *

"It's natural for Ani-kun to start having nightmares about his
experiences in Tomobiki," Chikage stated, pouring drinks from her own
spirit locker for them. None of the bottles, Negako was quick to
note, were less than a century old, they preserved using techniques
vintners and distillers would kill to possess. "Though there were
times Ani-kun easily manipulated others to do his bidding, the sheer
number of real and perceived enemies were often overwhelming. Atop
that, elements of Ani-kun's psyche were fractured from the core
conscience when you were inserted into him when he was six years old."

"Multiple-personality disorder?"

"Potentially." The sorceress served the drinks, and then she sat
across from the ninjutsu grandmaster. "Studies about multiple-
personality problems are still problematic. From what I have been
able to divine, all parts of Ani-kun are aligned on one emotional
path. It is the precise methodology each of those fragments might use
in specific situations which differs."

"Keeping him isolated from his former classmates is wise, then?"

A nod. "In my estimation, yes. In fact, if we engage in a campaign
where we place the people of Tomobiki, especially those who stood
against Ani-kun the most, in a negative light, it would be healthier
for all. Ani-kun -- the 'core' of him -- could be made to desire
never to deal with them again. He would avoid them, frustrating them
if they wished to seek him out. They might decide to do so in the
wake of Lum's banishment . . . " A pause. "Or they might turn out to
be so overwhelmed at Lum's 'loss,' they'd not contemplate seeking Ani-
kun out at all. That, I think, would be better. The violent elements
of Ani-kun's fragmented conscience, I fear, would kill them all at the
first opportunity. And given the skills he inherited from you, Ane-
kun . . . "

"It would become, as the Americans put it, a 'turkey shoot,'" Negako
finished. "It is fortunate I removed and destroyed the listening
device Lum placed in that UFO catcher doll she once made for Ataru.
To believe that Lum expressed NO real trust to Ataru, yet she loudly
claimed she loved him. I may not be able to feel 'true' love myself,
but I know at least it is not THAT."

"Indeed, it isn't." Chikage sipped her brandy, and then she gazed at
Negako. "So you noticed the psi-bond Ani-kun has now."

"Do you know who he is bonded to? The part of Ataru's memory from
when that bond was formed was damaged when I was placed in him."

Chikage reached for her crystal ball, and then she held it up before
Negako. Chanting an ancient incantation, the sorceress smiled as an
image appears in the opaque crystal. "This is Ani-kun's chosen one."

Negako looked, her eyebrows arching. "Saotome Ranma?"

Chikage blinked. "Saotome Ranma?!" Her eyes widened -- whom in the
immediate area of the Tokyo megalopolis had NOT heard of him?! -- and
then one of her eyebrows arched in return. "But Ranma-san is supposed
to be . . . "

"A man?" Negako lightly smiled. "So he was born. But as you should
be aware, Jusenkyou altered that far more than most believe."

"True."

* * *

To be continued . . .