[Ranma][FanFic] "Three Sisters" Part 2 "School Daze" (repost)

fher...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2001, 9:01:27 AM1/31/01
Morning...

Kasumi smiles, stepping out of her bedroom as she proceeds to perform her
morning ablutions. Yesterday had just been so...she had no words to describe
what they had experienced. To have such a close encounter of the third kind
(as Americans called it)...she though you had to reside in Tomobiki to get that
chance.

Now...

Stepping downstairs, she slows down, an...oddness in the house's wa
turning her attention to the door. Looking outside, she sees someone kneeling
beside the koi pond. The dark red-brown hair tied in a flowing ponytail hinted
at one of the Saotome sisters. What on EARTH was she doing standing outside
NUDE (even though it was still before dawn), though her clothes...*She really
should get something more than just boxers, track pants and button shirt,*
Kasumi ruefully muses...lay beside her?

"Ohayo gozaimasu, Kasumi-neesan."

Kasumi smiles. "Ohayo, Kikuko-chan. What are you doing?"

"Apologizing to the koi."

The older Tendou blinks. "Eh?"

"In a few minutes, Otou-san's going to wake up, wake Ranma-neesan up and
they'll begin their morning exercises," Kikuko gazes on her, beckoning Kasumi
with a hand. "Since it'll be out here, most likely, either of them...or
both...will end up splashing in here. It's rude to disturb someone's home, so
I'm warning the little ones here to be very careful from now on."

Kasumi blinks, then walks out to kneel beside Kikuko, her eyes gazing at
the pool. Sure enough, the carp had gathered around her immersed hand,
brushing her skin with feelers and mouths. A glance to the youngest...yet in a
way, oldest...of the Saotome sisters sends Kasumi's heart into her throat.
She...had never seen glowing eyes before, especially not such a pretty burgundy
shade.

"Is the fact that I'm a Nendo-kata...disturbing you, Nee-san?" Kikuko
turns to her, her eyes reverting to their normal brown.

Kasumi gazes on her, then shakes her head. "Gomen nasai, Kikuko-chan.
It's...hard to take in what you are."

"Hai, I know. We had a choice. Keep it all secret and let you discover
it a bit at a time...thus eroding trust and making things harder for us to be
together...or let it out in the open all at once and give you the time to come
to your own conclusions."

"Arigatou, Kikuko-chan."

"Dou itashimashite (You're welcome), Kasumi-neesan. There, that should do
it for now," Kikuko sighs, then picks up her clothes to dress. "Do you want
some help in the kitchen, Nee-san? From what I remember, I was a pretty good
cook in the old days, but I need to get used to modern appliances."

"Hai, doozo," Kasumi waves her into the kitchen...

* * *

"Three Sisters"
by Fred Herriot
fher...@yahoo.com
**** **** ****
Edited by E.B. Kushnir <ku...@iaw.on.ca>
With C&C by Kevin D. Hammel <kha...@pacbell.net> and Robert Geiger
<robert...@prodigy.net>
**** **** ****
Based on "Ranma 1/2" created by Rumiko Takahashi
**** **** ****

PART TWO - SCHOOL DAZE

An hour later...

"You're starting to slow down, Oyaji."

FORGIVE ME IF I DON'T HAVE YOUR REFLEXES! the panda ruefully signs,
climbing out of the pond as Ranma wrings out her shirt on the porch. SPARRING
WITH YOU'S GETTING NOWHERE THESE DAYS! A twirl of the sign. YOU SHOULD SPAR
WITH YOUR SISTERS MORE!

"Hai, I'll remember that. We're working on a schedule so we can keep up
our training and help Akane train, too...and don't you DARE think of ducking
out of training her, either!" Ranma wags a finger at her father, then slips on
the shirt.

"It's about time you put a shirt on, Ranma. I don't think Dad can take
looking at you anymore."

Ranma blinks confusedly, then turns to see a dazed Souun, a toothbrush
stuck in his mouth, staring at her, toothpaste suds foaming at his lips. She
then sighs, buttoning her shirt up. "Gomen, Tendou-san. Guess that's ANOTHER
thing I gotta start worrying about now. Domo arigatou, Nabiki."

"You're lucky I don't normally charge for helpful bits like that!" Nabiki
smirks. "Where're Akane and Ranko?"

"We're back!!" Akane calls out as she jogs through the door, Ranko behind
her. "Is breakfast on?"

"Hai, there's enough for everyone!" Kasumi calls from the kitchen as
Kikuko steps out, pouring some hot water on Genma as he sits down at the table,
Ranma following.

Akane and Ranko step inside, racing up to get changed. Ranma picks up her
chopsticks, then begins to down her food. Kasumi and Nabiki watch spellbound
as the "older" (in relative terms) Saotome sister's eyes suddenly glow.
Genma's chopsticks continuously jab at her plate, seemingly slamming into
something not ten centimetres from her food. "Oyaji, will you cut it out,
please?" Ranma sighs. "I like for ONCE to enjoy my breakfast without you
trying to steal half of it! Kiku-chan cooked enough for you!!"

"Girl, how can you keep learning the Art if you keep resorting to your
telekinetic powers?!" Genma growls.

An explosion of air and food morsels escapes Nabiki, then she spasms in a
cough. "T-t-TELEKINESIS?!?!" she gapes at Ranma.

"Hai," Ranma shrugs, then looks as Ranko and Akane come down. "Saved you
some, sis. Ohayo, Akane."

"Ohayo, Ranma, minna," Akane sits beside Nabiki as they begin, then she
notices her fiancee's glowing eyes. "Daijobu?"

Ranma thumbs Genma, who is STILL trying to jab through her telekinetic
field to get at her food. Seeing this, Ranko nearly falls over laughing.
Kasumi and Kikuko watch from the kitchen, both hiding their smirks. Souun,
still somewhat dazed by Ranma's unintended exhibition, doesn't react. Finally,
Nabiki sighs. "Alright, what sort of powers do you three have anyway?!"

"Telepathy, telekinesis and empathy," Ranma returns to her food. "Our
empathic powers serve as a sort of psychic 'early warning' system. In essence,
we project out to learn who's okay and who's not. If we deem you okay, then
that's all we do. If we perceive a potential threat, that's when we resort to
a telepathic probe to *ensure* you're okay. Our eyes'll glow at that point,"
she points to her own eyes. "And be assured, we will keep whatever confidences
we're forced to 'take.' Our telekinetic powers are our offensive abilities.
Instead of resorting to physical violence at point-blank range, kill from a
distance."

"Wow...!" Nabiki hums. "You really come equipped to deal with a lot of
things, don't you?"

"On our homeworld, it was pretty hostile for a long time until we asserted
ourselves as the dominant lifeform...pretty much like the way humans asserted
themselves here," Ranko sighs. "We were restricted in a way because of the
medium we lived in...one to three kilometres underwater doesn't allow us to
develop a sense of fire's use...not to mention the lack of visual light at
those depths...so our development was mental."

"Wow!" Akane whistles. "Um...can I ask something?"

"What's wrong, Akane?" Ranma stares at her.

"Do you...see yourself as...?" Akane stammers.

"Human, you mean?" Ranma muses, then shakes her head. "That isn't the way
we look at things, Akane. It...well, right now, I look at you as a fellow
sentient being, someone I've become friends with, have a spoken life-bond to
and whom I'd like to know better. I don't care if you're a man or woman, I
really don't care too much about age and gender preference isn't an issue with
me, either." She reaches over to gently squeeze Akane's hand. "What matters
to me is finding out who this wonderful sentient being named 'Akane Tendou'
is...and I want to experience how her life will intersect with mine. Is that
REALLY so hard to understand?"

Silence. "No, it's not," Akane gives Ranma a friendly squeeze with her
hand. "And yes, I'd like to get to better know another wonderful sentient
being named 'Ranma Saotome.'"

"There we go," Ranma nods. "In the meantime, you better get dressed and
ready. You got school, remember?"

"Hai, that's true. Thanks for the meal, Kasumi-neechan, Kikuko-san,"
Akane finishes up, then races upstairs.

"There's the problem about their records...not to mention your own,
Ranma," Nabiki warns. "Ranko and Kikuko have no records whatsoever and yours
state that you're a boy..."

"Then I guess we changed that just in time."

Everyone spins around to see two gentlemen standing by the front porch,
gazing in on the family scene before them. Both are in non-descript black
suits, dark Ray-Bans over their eyes. One is a middle-aged Caucasian, the
other a young African. "Oh, we have some guests!" Kasumi smiles. "Doozo,
gentlemen."

"Who are you?!" Genma demands.

"Pardon us for interrupting...but we're of the United Nations' Special
Committee on Alien Activities...the 'Men in Black' as we're better known," the
older of the pair draws out his wallet to show his ID. "I'm Kay and this is my
partner, Jay. Can we talk to you and your daughters...and your hosts...for a
few minutes, please?"

Everyone blinks...

* * *

"So you guys're responsible for helping aliens better settle down and have
comfortable lives on Earth," Nabiki concludes.

The Tendous and Saotomes sit across the coffee table from the two SCAA
agents. "Exactly, Miss Tendou," Kay nods. "But these days, thanks to various
treaties with other worlds, embassies are taking a lot of our case loads away.
We concentrate these days on aliens from worlds who don't have treaties with
us. Given the distance alone, we have no treaty with the Great School...but
we're more than happy when members of that race do come to Earth."

"Well, that solves some of our problems," Ranko breathes out.

"How is it you found out about us so fast?" Ranma inquires.

"Courtesy of an elder in the Nyu-che-zuu tribe of Joketsuzoku, China, you
befriended sometime ago...Nyu Kun-lon," Kay smiles.

"Arigatou, Hibaa-chan," Ranko whispers.

Nabiki gazes quizzically at her. "Put simply, the Nyu-che-zuu are allies
with, shall we say, the first family on Terran-alien interactions: the
Moroboshi Clan," Kay continues. "Lady Nagaiwakai was quick to inform us about
you, then we came down to locate you three, not to mention help you better fit
in."

"In what exact way did you help us?" Kikuko muses.

"Well, for Ranma here, that was simple," Jay smiles. "All we had to do
was alter the birth and family records your government has to state that he is
now, unequivocally, a she."

Genma jolts. "Um...does my wife know...?"

"No, we didn't inform her...so I suggest you inform her right away, sir,"
Kay warns. "This is done very quietly, since given their abilities, the
Nendo-kata could, inadvertently, raise a lot of fear and hysteria among certain
groups of the population."

"We don't try to...!" Kikuko gasps.

"Miss Saotome, we know very well your philosophy of Unity and how that
governs your relations with other races. The schools and Wanderers that
preceded you have long indoctrinated us on the whole concept," Kay smiles.
"But let's face it. Xenophobia, given the way Japan developed as a nation
vis-a-vis her neighbours, has a much better chance of taking firm root here
than say in America. Individuals...your hosts, for example...are kind and
understanding given the honest way you approach them. People in general..."

"Can be very cruel and bigoted," Nabiki finishes.

"Exactly, Miss Tendou."

"What of us, Kay-san?" Ranko wonders.

"Well, for you two, we had to construct records from scratch which will
allow you to attend high school with your sibling, not to mention fitting into
society as a whole, without problems from local authorities," Kay smiles.
"We've done it before so many times, we can do it blindfolded. When you arrive
at Furinkan High School this morning, the staff will be able to call up your
records and find everything to be as legitimate as anyone else's. If the
teachers tried to press matters, I'm sure you have your own ways to deal with
that. What problem could there be?"

"That's very kind of you, sir," Kasumi smiles.

"We try our best," Kay draws out three wallets. "Here you are...and for
your Wanderer-halves, welcome to Earth."

The Saotomes take them, then open them to see identification cards. The
pictures were incredibly accurate, though none of them had sat still for
photographs. "Wow, you really do go overboard," Ranma whistles, then notices
another card...a bank ATM card from the Bank of Sendai...with her ID card.
"Hey, what's this?"

"That's courtesy of your sisters in Oshika...the Outland School," Jay
smiles. "There's a good amount of money in each of your accounts, so you
should be able to have a comfortable start. Oh, Mister Saotome, by the way,
when it comes to monetary matters, your daughters ARE considered legal adults
in Japan, so don't think of trying to embezzling from them," he then smiles at
Genma.

The Saotome patriarch sputters, everyone gazing at him. "How do you know
all that?" Nabiki wonders.

"I think you better have a talk with this fellow here," Jay smirks. "Oh,
you'll also have contact numbers for all your sisters in Japan, so you really
shouldn't be too lonely here."

Silence as Ranma, Ranko and Kikuko exchange looks, then face the two SCAA
agents. "We really don't know what to say," the former holds out her hand,
"but we appreciate it none the less."

"Just live your life to the laws you follow and you'll be fine," Kay gives
Ranma a friendly squeeze...

* * *

Sometime later, the younger Tendou daughters and the three Saotome
daughters race out of the dojo grounds, heading down the street towards
Furinkan High School. Given their sudden arrival, the Saotomes have donned
their normal sleeveless Mandarin shirts and black pants; Nabiki would arrange
for uniforms today. "Lucky thing we all got up early!" Nabiki sighs, then
notices the triplets on the fence beside them. "Um...what are you doing?!"

"Oh, gomen!" Kikuko laughs. "This is balance practice Otou-san taught us.
It's so much a habit..."

"Here, Akane, c'mon up and give it a try!" Ranma reaches down.

"Ranma, I can't run up there just wearing panties!" Akane protests. "What
if some pervert looks up my skirt?!"

"If he does, I'll drop a rock on the creep!" Ranma smiles. "C'mon, Akane,
this is fun! Besides, it's good practice!!"

"I..." Akane blinks, then nods, feeling Ranma's hand grasp hers as she is
effortlessly boosted onto the slender wooden fence.

"Don't look down, Akane," Ranma instructs. "I'll make sure you don't
fall. Use your arms until you get your balance, then we'll practice at a
faster pace, okay?"

"Okay!" Akane nods.

Nabiki stares at her sister. The look on Akane's face was a mix of
excitement and trepidation. Clearly, Ranma's attitude and encouragement was
keeping Akane's cauldron of anger cooled. *Where were you some years ago when
Akane REALLY needed a friend, Ranma?* she muses, then senses Ranko's eyes
locked on her. "N-nani...?"

"Don't you want to get to school faster?" Ranko probes.

"Eh?!" Nabiki blinks, then her eyes widen. "Oh, hell, I totally
forgot...!" she stammers.

Ranko leaps to the ground. "Here! Hang onto me and I'll get you there
real fast! C'mon, Kiku-chan!!"

"Hai! See you at school, Nee-chan!" Kikuko leaps to the ground...then
with a mighty spring, both Nendo-kata are airborne, soaring off towards
Furinkan High.

Much to Nabiki's heart-dropping-out-of-her-chest fright! "YOU GOT
ME?!?!?! RANKO, WHO'S GOT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU...?!?!?!"

Ranma and Akane watch them disappear. "You want to try that?" the former
wonders. "It'll avoid those boys you told me about."

"No, I need the workout, not to mention giving me the chance to practice
this," the latter gazes at her. "I'll let you do it for me when I'm not in the
mood for those creeps!"

"Okay. Do you need any help?"

"I'll be fine."

"No problem. I'll watch you just in case. Something about them attacking
you every morning's got me suspicious about something and I want to confirm
it."

"Confirm what?"

"I'll tell you later. I have to see you fight these guys first. That
sound okay?"

"Okay!"

The two carry on down the fence, Ranma encouraging her to leap over the
breaks without slowing down. In a minute, the two are running, Akane barely
feeling the hand on her shoulder telling her Ranma was right behind her. While
it was somewhat...bothersome to have someone willing to be her protector,
it...assured her, too. Besides, this WAS her first try at fence-walking, so it
was good for her new sensei...*Funny that I'm thinking of her as that
already,* Akane muses...to stay close. Besides, given the recent revelation of
the Nendo-kata's abilities, it wouldn't surprise the youngest Tendou if Ranma
was floating beside her. Then again, Ranma was doing this for Akane's benefit,
to help AKANE improve. What a welcome change from the times she had to
practically DRAG her father into the dojo to teach her anything about the Art.

Behind her, Ranma smiles. Good. Not only was Akane getting the basic
idea of fence-balancing, she was ENJOYING herself at the same time. One of the
earliest things Ranma had to learn in both her lives was how to make herself
enjoy learning something; that was a big incentive in and of itself. As long
as Ranma could keep this up, Akane would improve by leaps and bounds. Her
potential, fully exploited, would make her the equal of Ranma's human form.
And if she got a transfusion of Nendo-kata blood into her to bring her DNA up
to Ranma's present level...? *Mother Ocean, she'd be the best Defender the
Great School has seen in ages!*

"Yen for your thoughts?" Akane calls back.

"Eh?!" Ranma blinks, then smiles. "Oh, gomen. I was just thinking about
how much I can teach you."

"It's a lot, huh?"

A touch of sadness and...shame...inside her, Ranma muses. Take it very
easy responding. "Akane, it's like I told you. I've got a decade's training
on you...but believe me, you've got a lot of the fundamentals right. I'll give
your father this; he really knows how to give you a strong foundation to build
on. Once you have all the fundamentals down pat, the rest is easy."

"You think so?"

"You're damn right I do."

"Arigatou, Ranma."

"Eh? Why...?"

"For believing in me. Sometimes, I think even Tou-san doesn't believe in
me. I really appreciate it."

"Un," Ranma nods, then her eyes glow. "Uh-oh, trouble!"

Akane blinks, then tenses herself as the gates of Furinkan High School
loom before her. "Hang onto my bag!" she tosses it to Ranma, then leaps to the
ground, picking up her speed.

"Watch yourself," Ranma warns as she leaps to the fenceline around the
school, then sits down to watch.

The Horde o'Hentais are already on the move. "AKANE, DATE ME...!!!!"
scream from a dozen lips as she barrels into them.

Ranma sighs. A pack of scavenger lap-remora; that's what her first
impression...and Ranko's and Kikuko's, she senses from her sisters, already
inside school...of these fools is. First of all, the morons were mobbing
Akane; there was no coordination in their attack whatsoever. Akane could
resort solely to her strength to deal with most of them. Save for several
kendoists in the back of the crowd, the chi levels were next to nil with all of
them. The Hiryuu Shooten-ha (Rising Dragon Ascension) Cologne taught the
Saotomes in Joketsuzoku wouldn't be the least bit effective with this lot.
Worst of all, if this had been constant for some time, it was doing a damaging
effect to Akane's skill level since she wasn't inspired to improve.
Fortunately, it was repairable.

As for things Nendo-kata considered important, it depressed Ranma. No
sign of potential psionic powers in any of them; their self-awareness was
typical for city folk of their age group. The empathic expression of their
passion, if at that, to Akane was all physical. Typical for normal
hormone-driven teenage men of their age group. There was no true heart behind
this insanity. A grave insult...and potential danger if this was allowed to go
on much further...to Akane's skills. That didn't mention how this whole mess
could affect the many onlookers now crowding the windows...

* * *

"Ranko, is your sister okay?"

"Eh?" Ranko blinks, then stares at Nabiki before shaking her head, leaning
on the windowsill. She stood with the middle Tendou daughter in Nabiki's
homeroom, intending to head to her homeroom in a moment. "No. Nee-chan is mad
right now...but she'll respect Akane's desire to see it through. This whole
farce is the biggest insult to ANYONE she's EVER seen...and she's got nine
hun-..."

Nabiki hisses her quiet. "Don't say that," she whispers. "Do you want
people to know who you are? Remember what Kay said."

"Urk! Sorry..."

* * *

"Her skill level's really good given the opposition."

"Hai, Oyaji...but if this keeps up, it'll do her more harm than good in
the long run," Ranma nods; Genma had shown up a few seconds ago, just as Akane
began wading into the kendoists to wrap today's fight up. "There's one more to
come. He's behind the tree off to my three o'clock. See him?"

Genma looks. "Kendoist. Who is he?"

"The love-starved moron who started this whole mess to destroy Akane's
dignity. Tatewaki Kunou, the 'Shooting Star'...oh, excuse me, it's 'Blue
Thunder' now; idiot can't keep his fighting nickname straight...of Furinkan's
kendo team. Reasonably competent with a weapon, useless without it. Good
wrap-up to today's exercise, but this HAS to end soon for Akane's sake, not to
mention every other girl in the school. I'll talk to her about it later."

"Okay."

"You better get home. The air's too misty; rain's coming."

"Alright. See you tonight. Damn, that telepathy of yours really comes in
handy, you know?"

"There's hope for you yet, Tou-chan."

Genma jerks, then chuckles as he heads off. Before Jusenkyou, Ranma NEVER
called him anything more than "oyaji." Ranma only now called him "Tou-chan"
when she sensed he was growing away from the bad habits Happousai had force-fed
him years ago.

Even though so many things were up in the air, it was nice to improve
things with his son-turned-first daughter...

* * *

"Ah, Akane Tendou, come into my embrace..."

*WHACK!!!!*

The poetry-spouting kendoist is smashed into a tree, dropping to the
ground! Akane sighs, then breathes out. "Every day..." she muses, though she
had to admit, she found it easier to call on her strength to mop the floor with
these idiots today. Had Ranma's encouragement done something to make her
fight better...?

"It'll have to end soon, you know," Ranma walks up to her, then hands over
her briefcase. "Akane, can we talk about this a little later? There's
something very wrong and I think this is going to hurt you really bad if it
continues."

Akane stares at her, sensing the flash of anger deep in her fiancee's
eyes. Ranma WAS angry, though she was doing her darn best to keep it under
wraps. What was going on? "Uhn! Let's get to class," Akane nods, waving for
the front door as they head in.

"Hold! Who is this...?"

Ranma jerks as something leaps into her path, then without hesitation,
lashes out, her mind snaring Kunou. With a wave of her hand...from the school,
fortunately, it looked as if Ranma was sweeping Kunou aside physically...she
sends the kendoist flying at the far wall. THAT was over thirty metres away!
Akane pauses at the door to see Kunou now smashed into a wrecked section of
stone wall, then gazes on Ranma. "Are you okay?"

"Not really. C'mon, we're almost late!" Ranma waves her in...

* * *

"Class, may I present three new students...triplets as you can
see...joining us today. Ranma, Ranko and Kikuko Saotome."

"Yoroshiku (Pleased to meet you), minna-san," Ranko bows.

"Yoroshiku," Ranma echoes.

"Yoroshiku onegaishimashita, minna-san," Kikuko smiles.

"Yoroshiku!" the class chime back.

"Would you care to tell us about yourselves?" the teacher hums, gazing on
the sisters. He had been told of their sudden arrival, plus lack of uniforms,
by Akane after they got in, so he would allow their odd form of dress today.

Ranma smiles. "My sisters and I just returned from a long training trip
involving our family's school of martial arts. I am...well, quite limited in
my non-scholastic knowledge to just the martial arts, but I am seeking to
improve myself."

"We're very pleased to be here," Ranko adds. "Our father sheltered myself
and Kikuko-chan here while we were on our trip, so we are a little
inexperienced when it comes to interacting with people. Please understand, we
mean you no harm."

"Unless you're wanting to pick a fight with us...then you'll see what harm
we can dish out in return," Kikuko finishes. "My sisters and I hope our
experience here at Furinkan will be as pleasant for all of you as it will be
for us."

The class is silent as they return to their seats, now on three sides
around Akane (Kikuko behind, Ranko to Akane's left and Ranma to Akane's right).
From what the Saotome sisters can sense of the forty people around them, none
of them had been expecting such a jovial, friendly greeting. Many had seen
Ranma's display towards Kunou and were curious as to why she had come in with
Akane. Clearly, rumours would start and information would get distorted,
leading to who knew WHAT conclusions before long.

Spreading rumours, information corrupted by personal opinion and feelings,
was something the Nendo-kata couldn't conceive of. Their telepathy had
developed over the millennia to the point where information transfer within the
Great School was eidetically accurate. While their human selves did
understand...though, like most people, they didn't approve of...the idea that
rumours would be spread about them, how to deal with it properly was a
mystery...

* * *

"Nabiki Tendou, I would have words with you."

Nabiki inwardly winces. If the bruises on Kunou's face were a result of a
"mad" Ranma, she'd hate to see what might happen if the elder Saotome daughter
was TRULY pissed off. Clearly, Ranko's warning that the whole thing with the
Horde o'Hentais had to stop soon was very accurate...for Ranma's self-control
most of all.

"What's the matter, Kunou-chan? You don't look so good."

"I am always at my best form, Nabiki Tendou. A question, if I may. Could
you inform me who the tall chestnut-haired damsel who came with your beauteous
sister is?"

"You know the price, Kunou-chan. It doesn't come free."

Five thousand yen are immediately handed over. Ranma must have made a
whole different sort of impression on the kendoist than what she intended.
Then again, that seemed the norm when it came to this idiot. "Okay, fair
enough," Nabiki nods. "She's Ranma Saotome, a family friend. She and her
family just came in from China yesterday. They're staying with us for the time
being."

"Then why was she with Akane?" Kunou presses.

"They've become very good friends; you might say they really hit it off
yesterday," Nabiki crosses her arms. "Oh, by the way, do you wish to know of
the OTHER Saotome sisters?"

Kunou stops. "'OTHER?!!' There are more of them?!!"

"Pay up, my friend."

Ten thousand yen this time. "Alright, there're three of them," Nabiki
relaxes. This idiot was so gullible, it was almost criminal to do this.
"Ranma, Ranko and Kikuko. All of them are Akane's classmates. Ranma is
blue-eyed, Ranko's green-eyed and Kikuko's brown-eyed. But..." she sighs.

"What?" Kunou urges.

"From what I hear, they're all lesbians."

Silence. Kunou remains gaping at Nabiki, whatever serving as his brain
sputtering to a halt as that word echoes again and again. "L-l-l...!" he then
stammers.

"Lesbians, Kunou-baby," Nabiki smiles, wondering what sort of fun this was
going to cause. "It's not a disease, by the way; they were BORN that way. No
sorcery..."

"NO, IT IS SORCERY!!!!" Kunou suddenly bellows, an explosion framing him.
"To believe that such a fiery belle as Ranma Saotome to...actually...to be
a..." he sputters on that...that WORD, then raises his bokan stick high.
"NEVER!!!! I, Tatewaki Kunou, the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High, will NEVER
tolerate such a crime against three such divine flowers of womanhood...!!!"

Nabiki feels her mind already click out, nausea surging deep within her.
Around her, a chorus of questions begins.

"'Blue Thunder?!'"

"I thought it was 'Shooting Star!'"

"Did you see that girl? She makes Akane look plain!"

"Lucky thing they're not interested in boys! It's bad enough Akane always
hogs them all!"

"Do you think they might...?"

"Iie. Given the way society treats girls like that, they'll never bother
anyone else unless they find one like them..."

Nabiki sighs. Let the good times roll...

* * *

A note lands on Akane's desk from Ranko...

"Akane-chan,
"I think just I've figured out Nabiki-chan. Among our kind, we call them
'trickster-sharks.' Not as bad as 'devil-sharks' (our version of oni), but
sometimes as much a pain in the ass. We don't mind it too much; it'll make
things a little more exciting around here and it'll be good for our keeping our
power skills honed.
"She's just told Kunou-bakayaro that we're staying with you and that we're
lesbians. I've no idea how this is going to reflect on you. You know how
rumours can be.
"Just to let you know.
"Ranko"

Akane blinks, then nods at Ranko before returning back to her textbook. A
hum then escapes her as she stares on Ranma. The older Saotome was paying
close attention to the teacher, though she had confessed during the break that
some of this was boring. All just another reflection of Ranma's long
concentration on the Art and how it had socially and emotionally crippled her.

Rumours, eh...?

With that, she turns Ranko's note over, then scribbles something down
before passing it to Ranma. Ranma blinks, then opens it before her eyes
widen:

"Ranma,
"Do you want to make an announcement about our engagement?
"Akane"

Ranma blinks, then nods at Akane, winking. With that, they turn back to
their books. Inwardly, Akane smiles. That should knock the wind out of
Kunou's sails, not to mention get the Horde o'Hentais off her back once and for
all...

* * *

Lunchtime...

"I nearly fell asleep in a couple classes."

"Relax, Nee-chan, it all comes with time," Ranko pats Ranma's shoulder as
they and Kikuko sit down at one table, far away from other students so that
they could converse in private. "To be honest with you, I feel wonderful,
being able to interact with people on my own. You know, the folks here aren't
so bad."

"Hai, I noticed that," Kikuko nods. "Even the boys fighting Akane, once
you strip that nonsense away, aren't really so bad."

"Still, it has to stop," Ranma shudders. "It's a creeping conquest,
that's what it is."

"'Creeping conquest?'"

The Saotomes beam as Akane sits beside Ranma. "Hai. We were just talking
about those idiots you fight every morning. Like it or not, they're going to
wear you down until someone beats you; most likely, Kunou or one of his fellow
kendoists."

"How did you come to that conclusion?" Akane asks.

"Akane, when you're confronting a mob situation like that, you only rely
on a few moves," Ranma advises. "Because of that, you don't practice the more
advanced ones...and over time, the skills become so rusty that you'll lose them
altogether. That's what I mean by 'creeping conquest.' They know you're
skilled, so they're trying to take your skill away from you and force you to
brawl at their level. If that happens, you're sunk."

Akane blinks, then shudders. "Damn..."

"There's more, Akane-san," Kikuko sighs. "And if you think what those
boys are doing to you is insulting, wait until you hear what I discovered about
Kunou!"

"What?!"

"He holds back from using his whole skill on you, Akane-san."

Silence. Akane blinks as her hands clench, chi boiling around her as the
words "holds back" echo through her mind. "He...!" she snarls, her brow
furrowing in rage. "He...does...WHAT, Kikuko?!!"

"He holds back, Akane-san...though deep down, even if he went full out and
fought you honourably, he still wouldn't beat you..."

"I DON'T CARE!!!!" Akane bolts to her feet, slamming her hand on the
table. "HOW DARE THAT SELF-CONCEITED BASTARD DO THIS TO ME?!?! KUNOU, GET
READY TO PAY FOR MAKING MY LIFE HELL!!!!!!"

She races off. The Saotomes watch her go. "Doesn't that remind you of
Ryouga in a way?" Ranko hums.

"Strange, it does," Ranma turns back to her food.

"What was THAT about?"

Everyone waves Nabiki to a chair as Kikuko explains what she discovered.
The middle Tendou daughter winces, knowing well that to Akane, it WAS the
supreme insult to not take her seriously, especially in matters of martial
arts. The Saotomes did, thus winning Akane's friendship and trust. If Kunou
didn't, there was no way in all of Eternity that Akane would EVER respect him,
much less trust a single thing he said, again! "You did it to yourself,
Kunou-chan," she snorts. "Nice going..."

"Nabiki, there's a little something I want to bounce off you concerning
Akane's morning problems," Ranma sighs.

"Going public with the agreement, you mean?"

"Hai."

Nabiki sighs. "I dunno, to be honest with you..."

"It could be lucrative if you manage it right, Nabiki," Ranko smiles
knowingly, stirring her pudding with a spoon. "I know you enough now to know
you love doing two things beyond caring for your family: making money and
mischief. Here's a chance to do both."

"Atop that, it'll be a slap in the face to Kunou for his appalling
disrespect of Akane-san...not to mention the way some people will view other
female martial artists who might come here in the future," Kikuko adds. "Do
you REALLY want that sort of nonsense to become a tradition at this school,
Nabiki-san?"

Nabiki hums, then shakes her head. "No, not really. Okay, let's do
it...but I hope you're both prepared for the flack that's going to follow.
Kunou-chan really freaked out when I told him of your gender preference. He's
now convinced sorcery's involved and he's going to do his best to 'free'
you..."

The Saotomes laugh. "Well, even though fantasy dominates his life, we
can't dismiss good intentions," Ranko hums. "At the same time, it could be
fun..."

"You mean give credence to what he believes?" Ranma blinks.

"Controlled, of course," Ranko advises. "My school sage told me this
once. A fantasy world can sometimes be like a tunnel. It has an entrance and
an exit. You keep forcing fantasy on people, it'll force them out of the
tunnel."

"What happens if doing that drives them to suicide, Ranko?" Nabiki warns.
"Look, the guy's an idiot, but c'mon, he doesn't deserve that! It could kill
him eventually..."

Silence. "Nabiki...there's something I don't think you've come to accept
about us," Ranko gazes tranquilly on her. "Death is no stranger to us. I come
from a school of eight...and I am the only survivor. Ranma's was six, not
even a proper school...and she and Kikuko are the only survivors! While...it
scares you, the concept of the Black Ocean...we've SEEN it, Nabiki. It's not a
thing we like to reflect on, of course...but we accept it."

Nabiki gazes on her, then stares at Ranma and Kikuko. All three of the
Saotome sisters...yes, there it was in their eyes. The haunted look of someone
who had lost loved ones, someone who knew the finality of life first-hand. It
was cruel knowledge, knowledge that Nabiki sometimes tried to deny she had
since her mother died. The ultimate loss of innocence. It gave the Saotomes a
very hard edge, something Nabiki wasn't sure Akane...*Hell, what about ME?!!*
she mentally demands...was ready for.

"That...is heavy," Nabiki sighs, turning to her lunch. "Ranko, can we
talk about this later, please?"

"Sure...oh, there's Akane!" Ranko points.

Everyone turns as an incensed Akane storms back to her seat, then drops
into the chair. "Damn him!!" she snaps.

"What happened to Kunou?" Nabiki wonders.

"He's in the nurse's station; I caught him by surprise and made sure he'd
stay down for the day!" Akane snarls, then blinks as Ranma's hand gently grasps
hers. She gazes into her fiancee's eyes, then smiles, relaxing. "Arigatou,
Ranma."

"Hey, you, stop seducing my sister!" Nabiki snaps.

Everyone laughs. "Akane-san, we've told Nabiki-san about what you and
Onee-san wanted," Kikuko smiles. "Do you really want to do this, given what
could happen? I can sense Kunou recovering as we speak now," she gazes in the
direction of the nurse's station. "I think he'll be back on his feet by the
end of the last class."

"Yes, I want to do it!" Akane nods, then stares at Ranma. "Do you still
want to do it?"

"Why not?" Ranma shrugs. "Say, why don't we play this the way that baka
started it? Nabiki, Kunou made a speech about this whole mess with Akane
before it started, right? Can we get time in the auditorium this afternoon,
BEFORE he can interfere?"

"Sure. Second class this afternoon's a study hall for most. I better
start spreading the word."

"Domo!" everyone chimes as she heads off...

* * *

Second afternoon class, the auditorium...

"Minna-san, domo arigatou," Akane clears her throat as she stands behind
the podium. She had skipped first class, which was physical education, so she
and Ranma could brainstorm on what she should say. They'd get in trouble for
it, but if they explained their actions to the staff after this speech was
made...not to mention how the speech would affect school life in the days to
come...why, surely, the teachers would come to appreciate THAT! The auditorium
was three-quarters full. Nabiki and her faction of assistants had made a
killing in "ticket" sales informing students about Akane's special speech,
promising a lot of good information about her...not to mention the mysterious
Saotome triplets.

"I thank you for taking time off to come listen to me," Akane sighs. "I'm
told that the crowd here now is much bigger than when a certain member of the
second grade made a speech concerning me some weeks ago. I'm very glad for
that, for it is because of that speech...and what has happened every morning
since the day of that speech...that concerns me now. Something I now wish to
end."

Confused looks from some people. "Contrary to popular belief, I do NOT
take joy in beating people up. I am a martial artist and I take great joy in
the Art I practice. Martial artists as a whole refrain from fighting unless
they have to. Usually, that is in either self-defence or defence of an
innocent. Yes, I have a very bad temper, one that's been a problem for me to
control over the last few years. For those I may've hurt because of outbursts
of my temper, I give you my deepest apologies."

Now surprise, Ranma senses, standing to Akane's left with her sisters.
Clearly, Akane's pride had stopped her from admitting her faults in public
before. People were paying rapt attention now. A very good sign to say the
least of it. The best way to bring choice prey in, any Nendo-kata knew: give
them good bait.

"Several weeks ago, Tatewaki Kunou made a speech. While I don't know all
the details about it, he said one thing which has resulted in a very profound
annoyance to me...and has come, to my understanding, to hurt a lot of people
here. That is, and I think I'm quoting, 'To date Akane Tendou, you must beat
her in battle.' To that end, between forty and one hundred of the students
here have fought me EVERY DAMNED MORNING since that day. And all they have had
to show for it is time in the nurse's station, which no doubt annoys the nurse
very much...not to mention the teachers for the lost class time those students
miss out recovering!

"I ask you all to consider this: WHY is it someone like Kunou made a
speech like that? WHY is it he believes, then forced others to believe, the
ONLY way to win the interest of me...and no doubt by extension, EVERY girl in
this school with an iota of martial arts skill...is to FIGHT me...and perhaps
them? Remember what I said about martial artists and how they really view
fighting. Does this mean that Kunou actually...LIKES to fight me?"

A pause.

"All that says to me...is that Kunou is NO martial artist."

Another pause.

"All he is to me...is a bully."

"You tell 'em, Akane-chan!!" a girl erupts from the audience.

*Bless you, Yuka!* Akane smiles on recognizing her friend's voice, then
blinks as other girls quickly chime in their support. A glance to Ranma gets a
wink in return. Once one person made her support open, others would gladly
chime in. Female solidarity in the face of typical male aggression...and when
that happened, the males usually caved in. Many of the Horde were here
listening to this, so they would be considering what Akane just said.

She then clears her throat. "To that, I add this point. I've recently
been told by a new friend of mine...who is quite a martial artist on her own
right," she nods to Kikuko, who bows, "...that Kunou in fact HOLDS BACK when he
fights me. Could this be because he, out of some knightly concern for my
welfare, fears his skill is better than mine? I don't know. Personally, I
don't WANT to know! This, I DO know! Another thing TRUE martial
artists...remembering that I DON'T consider Kunou a martial artist now...do is
RESPECT those whom they face in open challenge...or even in training."

She indicates Ranma. "Ranma-san, who is my new sensei in my Art, has
given me nothing but respect since she came into my life last night. By doing
so, she has my respect in return. Because of what Kunou has done by his words
and deeds...not just to me, but to all of you, even those of you who wished to
date me...he has LOST all my respect for him, NOW TO THE DAY I DRAW MY LAST
BREATH IN THIS LIFE AND BEYOND!!!!" she raises her voice now, just enough to
get their attention. "I'll NEVER call him 'sempai' for his actions do NOT
warrant such respect from me...!!!"

"Screw him and the stupid horse he came on!" a guy screams.

Profane but well-expressed, Akane hums to herself. "I'll NEVER
acknowledge, no matter how HARD he or those who follow him try, what he tries
to do to force his influence over me...!!"

"That's telling 'em, Akane-chan!!!" a girl whoops.

"Stand up for your rights, girl!!!" another girl adds.

"Ah, he's nothing but a big-mouthed idiot anyway! You don't deserve
him!!" a man asserts.

"Hell, NO girl does!!" another man adds.

"You got that right!!!" a girl agrees.

Akane relaxes as more people chime in their support, then when the voices
calm down, sighs. "And I swear this on the memory of my late mother and on the
honour of my family: if ANYONE else so much as tries even an IOTA to follow
in Kunou-baka's footsteps, either to me or to anyone else, MAN or WOMAN...then
I will do EVERYTHING in my power to see to it that NO ONE respects you every
day you walk in the halls of this school or the streets of this district." A
pause, then, "If you think I can't do this...I suggest you all better strongly
remember...who my sister Nabiki is...and what she is capable of doing to anyone
here. After all...to hurt someone or to destroy someone's life...you don't
always need martial arts."

Silence as that statement sinks in. Outside the auditorium, Nabiki
blinks, an eyebrow rising. She never suspected Akane would say THAT about her
in a public forum...much less give her SUPPORT to what Nabiki can do. Still,
it would get people thinking. That was the planned end result of this, after
all.

"Now that I've said all that, I've an announcement to make, then I'll
close to allow you to return to whatever you were doing," Akane sighs, then
waves to Ranma. "This woman beside me is the daughter of my father's friend,
Genma Saotome. Saotome-jisan, Ranma-san and her sisters came to our house last
night after a long time training. It was then that all of us learned of a
profound promise Tou-san and Saotome-jisan made before any of us were born.
The promise...has led to what would be an unusual result, but we are now
working to resolve it in such a way that honour, that giri, which is very
important to many *martial artists,* is satisfied.

"The promise made, before any of us were born...note that I emphasize that
for a good reason...was that one of the children of Genma and Nodoka Saotome
would marry one of the children of Souun and Kimiko Tendou...and by doing so,
unite the schools of Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu. As you all know, I have two
sisters, Nabiki and Kasumi. As you can all see, Ranma and her sisters Ranko
and Kikuko are all girls." She then smiles. "This, you must all realize, made
quite an interesting situation in my house last night."

Laughter fills the auditorium. Akane then sobers. "It should also be
noted that Ranma...as well as Ranko and Kikuko...are all lesbians. They
confessed this to me last night as well. Let's set aside the chauvinistic and
homophobic comments for a moment and see what REALLY happens. We know how
society in general views people like them. Personally, when they admitted
that, that doubled the respect I have for the Saotome sisters. To live with
the fact that people will fear them, HATE them, ostracize and try to hurt them,
all just because of their gender orientation...and to maintain their outlook
on life, which is breathtaking...that takes REAL courage in my eyes. They ALL
hold my respect." A pause. "To that end, Ranma and I discussed the matter
between ourselves after our fathers made their announcement...and we came to a
decision.

"We would honour our fathers' wish to unite the schools and the
families...and to that end...we are now formally engaged."

Silence. Everyone stares slack-jawed at Akane, then look at Ranma. "Does
this mean that I am like Ranma?" Akane sighs. "I don't know, to be honest.
The chances are there I might not be. Ranma respects that. Our fathers do.
That is for Ranma and I to discover. Ranma is willing to give me the chance to
find out about myself, WITHOUT FORCING ME IN ANY WAY TO MAKE A CHOICE!!!" she
raises her voice again to snap them back to attention. "If I decide I can't
live with her lifestyle, we will separate, then work on another solution to see
our fathers' wishes come true."

A pause, then, "I remind you all again, this is a matter of GIRI. To turn
back to that baka Kunou, we know what giri means. While Kunou only pays
lip-service to it, Ranma and I take it VERY seriously...and we will not stand
for anyone who tries to interfere in our lives because they can't tolerate it.
Again, I remind you of the warning I made earlier." She then bows
respectfully. "Thank you very much for your time and patience."

With that, she and the Saotome sisters file off the stage. A second
later, a whoop of delight echoes from the voices of dozens of girls as they
race out the exits. "HURRAY!!!! IT'S OVER!!!! WE CAN HAVE DATES AGAIN!!!!
LET'S CELEBRATE!!!!!!"

Behind a stage curtain, Akane and the Saotomes relax. "What does it feel
like?" the former wonders.

"The girls are just happy that they can try to get the boys' attention
again," Ranma hums, her eyes glowing slightly. "Some of the girls actually are
more curious about us than anything else. No fear in them. Many of the boys
are thinking 'What a waste!' about us. Typical, I think. Some boys are just
glad that you tore Kunou apart like you did in public; by the way they think of
that moron, it looks like he was trying to whip EVERY GUY in the school to
come after you. The Horde are pretty scared; that threat using Nabiki really
got their attention more than anything else...and..."

"What?!" Akane tenses.

"We have a spy!" Ranko hisses, looking up, then points.

Eyes turn to see a short form hanging in the rafters, mostly obscured by
the overhead lights, right over the podium where she had been speaking. Akane
squints, then her eyes widen. "Wait a minute! I know that guy!! He's Kunou's
ninja!"

"Sasuke; yeah, we can sense it!" Ranma sneers, then lifts a finger.
"Wanna come down, pal?! Here, let me help you!"

She jerks with her finger...as the guy wires and bars holding the light
fixture in place break. That sends it and poor Sasuke down to crash HARD into
the podium, an explosion of lights and flashes of electricity showering the
stage!! The audience spins around, many shocked on seeing that, then blink as
Akane and the Saotomes come back on stage. "What's going on?!" Nabiki calls
out, moving through the crowd to join them.

"Recognize him, Nee-chan?" Akane points to the dazed and burnt ninja now
half-buried under twisted steel.

Nabiki looks, then hums. "Oh-ho-ho!" she crosses her arms. "Sasuke-san,
you should know better. I don't allow you to ALWAYS spy on my little sister,
you know!"

"B-but..." Sasuke rasps.

"Not this time," Nabiki scowls. "This time, for what he's done to Akane,
Kunou-chan's gonna pay through his TEETH...!"

Sasuke moans...

* * *

"Oooh...such fire Akane Tendou possesses..."

"Oh, Kunou-chan, there you are."

Kunou moans, looking toward the door...then his eyes widen surprisedly as
Nabiki walks in, Sasuke slung over her shoulder. She drops the dazed ninja on
the bed opposite his master, then she gazes on him. "Nabiki Tendou, what has
happened...?"

"Oh, you missed my sister's speech, I'm afraid...and my sister wasn't
pleased when she discovered your pal spying on her," Nabiki thumbs Sasuke.
"He's going to be out of it for a while."

"Wh-what did your fiery sister say...?"

Nabiki hums, holding up a tape. "You want it, it's twenty thousand...that
also covers my carrying your pal in here."

"Done! I will do ANYTHING to listen to Akane's voice! No doubt she has
decided to finally reciprocate my love!!"

Money is exchanged, then Nabiki hands him the tape. "I suggest you listen
to what the tape says before hearing it from Sasuke, Kunou-chan. By the way,
I'm selling copies of this to everyone in the school...to ensure that all the
boys get the message. Hear the tape; you'll understand why then. Ja!"

She heads out. Kunou smiles, laying back on the bed, visions of him and
Akane marrying dancing merrily in his head...

* * *

To be continued...