[Ranma][Fanfic] Stuck

ara...@hotmail.com

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

A story that can only be called. . .

Stuck
--------
By: Anand Rao

Akari smiled awkwardly at the girl standing in front of her. She had
been surprised at the knock on the front door; not many people visited
a Sumo pig farm. It had been a dozen years or more since they had seen
each other last and Akari didn't know what to say. Without a hint of
envy, she thought of the few wrinkles that lined her face. Wrinkles
that the girl in front of her would never have.

This girl would never change; at least, not physically.

"Hello, Ranma."

"Hello, Akari. How have you been?"

"Fine, Ranma. . . just. . . fine." Akari paused. "I- I got married a
couple of years ago."

"Really? That's great. I was. . . worried that you wouldn't be able
to move on."

"So. . . you. . . you. . . got a hair cut?" Akari floundered.

Ranma laughed easily and rubbed her bald scalp. "More like a complete
shave. I've been living at a Buddhist temple in China. This," Ranma
said, patting the top of her head, "pretty much goes with the
lifestyle." She paused and tilted her head to one side. "If Principal
Kuno could see me now. . ."

"I always liked your hair. It made you look so-" Akari suddenly
stopped and looked down in embarrassment.

"It made me look so 'what'?" Ranma asked. "Cute? Pretty?"

"I'm sorry, Ranma."

"Don't be. You're right, but I got tired of being 'cute'. You'd be
amazed at how many guys -don't- hit on me now that I'm bald; and all
over something as superficial as hair."

"Oh! I've made you stand out here all this time! Where are my
manners?" Akari grabbed hold of Ranma's hand and ushered her
inside. "Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks. Actually, I'm here to see. . . him."

"I figured you would be." Akari smiled sadly. "Come, I'll take you to
his room." She led Ranma through the house to a small bedroom. "He's
inside. I. . . I'll leave you two alone."

"Akari, thanks for taking care of him after all this time. I know it
musta been hard."

"It was," Akari agreed, "but where else could he go?"

Ranma nodded her head and entered the room as the older woman walked
away. Pictures, postcards, and souvenir items from all over Japan
adorned the walls and floor. Only two pieces of furniture were in the
room; a small bed in the center, and an even smaller litter box in one
corner. A little black pig that was lying down the bed looked up when
the door opened.

"Hello, Ryoga."

The pig looked at Ranma, blinked, then lay back down on the bed.

"Come on, Ryoga," Ranma sighed, walking closer to the bed. The pig
hopped off the bed and trotted away from Ranma. It stopped for a
moment and looked back at her wearily. "This isn't funny. I know it's
been a while, but you're -not- really a pig, you're a person!"

Ryoga snorted in response and turned away. Ranma sat down on the bed
and patted the spot next to her. "Come over here, Ryoga." The pig
steadfastly refused to move or even look at her. "It's been over ten
years, man, so the least you can do is listen to what I have to say."
Ranma paused, then smirked. "Not like you gotta whole lot of choice in
the matter."

The pig glared at her for a moment then turned away again. "I'm only
staying in Japan for a couple of days. I was wondering if you wanted
to come with me when I return to China." When Ryoga didn't react,
Ranma continued. "Of course, if you -like- living in this little
prison, with the woman you love sleeping with another guy, hey, more
power to ya."

Ryoga whirled towards Ranma, growling deeply. "What? Did I say
something wrong, P-Chan?" The taunt was more than Ryoga could bear.
The little piglet growled louder and jumped towards Ranma.

"Good." Ranma nodded her head and caught Ryoga by the scruff of the
neck before he could reach her. She was still sitting on the
bed. "You're angry." She held Ryoga up and gazed levelly at his
face. "You're a person, Ryoga, not an animal. Animals don't get upset
at casual insults." She put Ryoga down next to her on the bed and held
him there. "No matter how long you're like this, never forget what you
really are."

She slowly released her hold on Ryoga and looked down at him. Ryoga
tensed for a moment, then relaxed. If Ranma hadn't known any better
she would have sworn that he actually let out a sigh. "So, what do you
say? Willing to give China a try?"

Ryoga looked at Ranma and tilted his head in indecision. "Come on,
man, it'll be better than this! The temple I'm staying at is really
peaceful and quiet. No one there will bother ya, or try to make you
into something you're not." Ranma paused, then gently put her hand
Ryoga's back. "I don't know when I'll be coming back here." The former
lost boy looked down at his front feet, thinking silently.

"You may be wondering why I'm doing this. . , " Ranma waited for Ryoga
to nod his head before continuing. "There are only a handful of people
in this world who come close to understanding me; you're one of them.
The temple's a haven; no one there treats me like a girl or a freak,
but it's also. . . lonely."

Ranma laughed bitterly and shook her head in resignation. "We both
spent a lot of time alone when we were kids, didn't we? I was used it,
and then, I spent two years, just -two- years, being part of a family,
and I couldn't imagine being alone ever again.

"But then. . . Jusenkyo reared its ugly head again. Do you remember
what you were doing when the curse became permanent?"

Ryoga shook his head. The past two decades had been all but a blur for
him. "I remember that day very clearly," Ranma quietly said.

***********************************

"Oh, come on, Akane!"

"Sorry, Ranma. You have to figure it out for yourself!"

"Um, is it your birthday?" Ranma winced at the cool glare that was
turned in his direction.

"No. My birthday is next month," Akane evenly replied.

"Well, it ain't my birthday, it ain't Christmas, it ain't Valentine's
Day. . . " Ranma paused and scratched his head. "They didn't create
some new annoying romantic holiday, did they?"

"No, Ranma."

"I'm never gonna figure this out, Akane. I mean, why do we -need- a
reason to go out anyway? We've been kinda dating for a while now."

"I know, Ranma. It still amazes me that you found the nerve to ask me
out." Akane smiled slyly and reached out for Ranma's hand.

"Yeah. . . Um, you gonna tell me what today is all about?"

Akane squeezed Ranma's hand tightly at turned towards him. "Today is
our anniversary."

"Anniversary?"

"Yes," Akane said firmly. "One year ago today, you and I were almost
married."

Ranma glanced skeptically at his fiancee'. "What kinda -stupid-
anniversary is that?"

"It may be stupid but it's the only one we got!" Akane snapped. She
turned towards Ranma, a sly smile growing on her face. "Unless you're
actually -ready- to get married. . ."

"Uh. . ."

Akane placed a single finger on Ranma's lips, effectively silencing
him. "I know, not yet. But don't make me wait too long, Ranma.
You're not so special that I'll put my life on hold forever." She
pulled back her hand and stepped away from Ranma. "Now come on; we
have an anniversary to celebrate!"

Ranma shook his head but smiled thoughtfully. (Maybe I'll be ready
sooner than you think, Akane.)

**********************************

"Thank you, Ranma. I had a wonderful time tonight."

"It was nice," Ranma agreed.

It was much later in the evening and Ranma had escorted Akane home
after many hours spent in eating, talking, and dancing. Akane leaned
towards him and gently brushed her lips against his.

"Very good. You didn't pull back this time," Akane approved.

"I guess. . . I can get used to this." Ranma chuckled in
embarrassment.

Akane smiled and lightly patted Ranma's cheek. "At least we'll have
fun trying." She sighed and pulled back. "Honestly, Ranma! You're as
bad as Ryoga sometimes."

"Hey! How would you know that?" Ranma demanded.

"Baka. Akari and I talk some times."

"Oh."

Akane kissed him once more then disappeared into the house. Ranma
stood staring at the front door for a few moments, then turned away.
He strolled through the gates of the Tendo compound and headed for
home. It had been about six months since he and his parents had moved
back into their own home. It was a bit awkward at first, and he had
missed being near Akane, but after a while, he had started to
appreciate the privacy and solitude being in his own home gave him.

He quickly reached his house and was surprised to find the lights
still on and his parents still awake. His father, in panda form, and
mother were sitting in the middle of the living room surrounded by
about a dozen copper kettles. The floor all around Genma was covered
with water.

Ranma frowned at the sight. "Hey, what's going on?"

"Ranma! Thank goodness you're home." Nodoka stood up and walked
towards him. "You're father can't change back into his human form.
He's been like this all evening."

"What? Pop!" Ranma ran to Genma's side. "You been using some magic
soap or that ladle or something?"

The panda shook hiss head vigorously. (I haven't done anything but sit
here and eat,) he wrote on a sign.

"Maybe ya ate something magical." Ranma turned towards Nodoka. "Have
ya been cooking any strange mushrooms or anything?"

"No, dear. No mushrooms."

Ranma scratched the back of his head. "I don't get it. . ."

"Do you think Shampoo's great grandmother would be able to help?"

"I dunno, Mom. I guess we can ask her in the morning."

The next morning, Ranma went to the Nekohanten to talk to
Cologne. "Hey, Old Ghoul. . ."

"Son-in-law, what brings you here today?"

"You come to take Shampoo on date?" Shampoo had learned not to hug
Ranma on sight, however, she still asked him out every chance she got.

"No, Shampoo," Ranma replied. The question had become so routine that
it rarely even fazed him anymore. "Actually, I'm to talk about my old
man."

"Oh? What has that fool done now?"

"Well, he's stuck as a panda. He says he didn't use anything magical
or strange, but ya never can tell with my Pops."

Cologne's face paled and her eyes became very serious. "I see. . . I
didn't think it would happen so soon."

"What? You -knew- he was gonna get stuck? Why didn't you say
anything?" Ranma demanded. He had begun to trust Cologne over the
years after their initial encounters, but in an instant that faith had
been burned away to nothing.

"To what end? There's nothing he could have done." Cologne paused and
her eyes were filled with sympathy. "There isn't anything any of you
can do, Ranma."

"What do ya mean, 'any of us'?"

"The curse eventually becomes permanent for any who enter one of the
springs."

Ranma staggered back, shaking his head slowly. "You. . . you're
lying. . ."

"I wish I was, Ranma."

"You're lying!" Ranma yelled. "This is just some sorta trick! If ya
knew this would happen, why the hell did ya take Shampoo there?"

Cologne turned towards her great grand daughter who had begun to
tremble. "Training at the cursed springs was Shampoo's punishment for
failing to kill you, Ranma. Why do you think I gave you so much trouble
when we first met? Your deception had caused my great grand daughter a
good deal of grief. I wanted to see the two of you quickly married;
before-"

"Before we got stuck in our cursed forms," Ranma finished.

"Exactly."

"There must be something we could do! Some way to get a cure. The
ladle-"

"The ladle will do no good. We tried using it once, long ago. There -
is- no cure, Ranma. I've spent many, many years looking for one. In
fact, I still am." Cologne gently laid a hand on Shampoo's shoulder.

"I don't want to be stuck as a cat," Shampoo whispered hoarsely in
Chinese. She suddenly embraced Ranma, burying her head between his
shoulder and neck. For once, Ranma didn't push her away, but instead,
held on to her tightly. His gazed hardened as he stared into Cologne's
eyes.

"I'll find a cure, Old Ghoul. I will."

"As soon as I left the restaurant, a passing car drove through a puddle
of cold water, and, of course, I changed." Ranma looked down at Ryoga
and absently ran her hand over her bald scalp. "That was the last time
I was a guy." She stood and began pacing the room.

"You don't remember all this, Ryoga, but Akane and I searched and
searched for a cure. We went all over China. We visited the Amazons,
the Musk, and even Mount Phoenix. We hit dead end after dead end, and
here we are, twenty years later, eh?" Ranma paused as Ryoga visibly
struggled with his own memories. The small pig whimpered for a few
moments and bowed its head before lapsing into a resigned silence.

"Cologne's still looking for a cure, ya know."

Ryoga looked up at Ranma and blinked. "That's right." Ranma smiled
and nodded her head firmly. "I'm not giving up, Ryoga, and you
shouldn't either." She sat back down on the bed. "So, how about it?"

Ryoga stared quietly at his former for several minutes. Finally, he
hopped up onto Ranma's lap and nodded his head. Ranma let out a deep
breath and her smile widened. She picked up Ryoga and headed for the
bedroom door. "There's one more person we need to pick up, then off to
China."

Ranma fidgeted as she stared at the door in front of her. "I'm not
exactly looking forward to this," she explained to the small pig
cradled in the crook of her left arm. "But I gotta at least give the
Old Man a chance, you know?"

Ranma knocked on the door. Several minutes later, the door opened and
Ranma looked upon her mother's face for the first time after twenty
years. Nodoka Saotome had aged well. Her once brown hair was streaked
with gray and her face bore a few more wrinkles than Ranma remembered,
but otherwise, she remained unchanged. She was as regal, serene, and
poised as ever.

The two women stared at each other in silence. Ranma saw recognition,
disbelief, and pain drift across Nodoka's face, and still, she did not
speak.

"Hello, Mother."

With those two words, the spell was broken, and a cold mask of anger
grew on Nodoka's face. "You are no child of mine," she replied.

Ranma sighed. "You may have disowned me, but you still gave birth to
me."

"I gave birth to a son, one who would be a man among men and do his
duty." Nodoka stepped back. "No, you are no child of mine." She
turned away and Ranma suddenly grabbed her arm.

"Wait." Ranma tightened her grip and Nodoka slowly turned back to
her.

"Release me." Nodoka's voice was harsh, and for an instant, the cold
anger was replaced by a look of rage.

"I didn't come here to see you anyway," Ranma replied evenly, ignoring
his mother's command. "Where's the Old Man."

"If you are speaking of my husband, he died. With honor."

Ranma's hand limply fell away from Nodoka's arm. "When?" She faintly
asked.

"My family's loss is none of your concern. Just know that -he- at
least, regained his honor and-"

"WHEN DID HE DIE?" Ranma screamed.

"Ten years ago, on the anniversary of the loss of our son, Genma
committed seppuku." Nodoka's tone was flat but her eyes were
moist. "He had the body of a panda, but he regained the spirit of a
true martial artist, and once again found the path towards honor."

Ranma looked down at her feet, unable to meet Nodoka's gaze. Tears
streamed down her eyes, slow and uncontrollable. She choked back a sob
and wordlessly turned away from her mother. Ryoga offered her comfort,
the only way he could, rubbing his snout gently against her arm. She
absently scratched his head and began walking away from her mother,
from her past, from her father's ghost.

"Why could you not do what honor demanded? What we wanted?" Nodoka's
voice cracked at the end.

Ranma stopped and turned back towards Nodoka. She wiped her eyes and
shook her head firmly. "I couldn't marry Akane, not like this."

"But why?" Nodoka pled. "She loved you, she would have married you
anyway."

"And I loved her," Ranma snapped. "But I wanted to be with her as a
man. Why can't you understand that?"

"Why can't -you- understand the importance of honor? Was it really so
difficult? All you had to do was marry the woman you loved." Nodoka
was crying openly now, and Ranma stepped towards her.

"Mom, I. . . I convinced myself back then that I was being noble. That
I was leaving for Akane's sake," Ranma paused and saw that her mother
was going to let her continue. "That wasn't true. I left for me. I
can't love anyone like this. This body isn't me, and I can't love
anyone until I get my body back."

"But your clan's honor-"

"What about -my- honor?" Ranma asked. "Every morning, I have to wake
up, take a long look at myself and know that I made the right
decision! Maybe it wasn't right for you, or the clans, or Akane, but
it was right for me."

Nodoka regained control over her emotions and started impassively at
Ranma. "Was it the right decision?"

"When I know for sure, I'll tell you." Ranma managed a weak
grin. "Goodbye. . . Mother." She turned away once more and walked
away.

She never looked back.

--------------------
The End

Notes:

This was horribly short, wasn't it? I really didn't want to go into
the angsty details of Ranma and Akane's relationship after this
particular event or their adventures in a search for a cure. This
story wasn't about that. This story was about making a difficult
decision. Namely, settling for less than you truly want versus staying
stubborn, possibly alone and in pain, in the hopes that you'll
eventually get what you want.

Which is the better path?

I don't know. When I know for sure, I'll tell you.

Thanks to Su, John, June, and David (even though he hated the ending)
for looking at this dreary thing, and special thanks to Gary for all
the grammar help.

Namaste,

Anand

Oh, btw, for those of you who use my ana...@mminternet.com email
address, it'll be gone in a couple of weeks. I'm moving. Again.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/