[Ranma][FanFic] The Bet-Children of Jurai 1c

GreggSharp

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
a bet concept by Gregg, Metro...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/greggsharp/index.html
char owned by Pioneer, R.Takahashi, etc.
WARNING:Xover with some degree of fusion.
Series involved are (in order of degree):
[Ranma][TM][Bet].
------------------------------------
Children Of Jurai 1c: Jurai Muyo
Genma and Soun were unhappy.
Ranma had left, seeking out his grandfather
Yosho's advice regarding a cure for his
Jusenkyo curse. When discovering that
the campsite had been abandoned, the two
had called a private brainstorming session
to develop a battleplan.

As one of the potential fiancees,
Nabiki felt every right to eavesdrop. With all
things considered, it was her life on the line.
The only two choices that Ranma could make
here were herself or Kasumi, or so Nabiki
assumed. In the first case, the potential
pluses and minuses of having an iinazuke.
In the second case, the thought of having
to endure what the Tendo household would
be like without Kasumi's presence. Having
to eat out on a regular basis to avoid Akane's
cooking was not a good thing.

Nabiki didn't have the money to
purchase expensive electronic surveillence
equipment, so she relied on more primitive
methods. In this case, a borrowed jelly jar.

"....the Masaki Shrine?"

"Yes, Tendo. My wife's family
comes from a little area over on Kyushu.
They maintain an ancient Shinto shrine
there, amid some mountains. That is
where he is heading."

"Okay, so we go up there and
retrieve the boy. No problem."

"Uhm. No, I don't think that
would be a good idea." Genma paused.
"You haven't met Yosho. He's good.
Very, very, good."

"An old priest? Against two
masters of the Anything Goes style? You
must be joking, Saotome. Honor demands
we retrieve your errant son."

"Even though he's a weapon
user, don't underestimate the Masaki
style of swordsmanship. About eight
years ago, I went up against Yosho."

"What, he caught you
pilfering?"

"Yes, but that's not what the
boy thinks. If I won, I got to keep the
scrolls I'd found hidden under a dresser.
If he won, he'd take over Ranma's training
until he felt that Ranma had the basics of
his mother's school down. Five years
later we were able to move on."

"Hmph. Should have cheated,
Saotome."

"I did, Tendo. I used every
trick and special technique I could. I lost."

Soun Tendo paused before
speaking. "If he's that good, then sneaking
in is also out. Direct confrontation isn't any
good. That leaves getting to Ranma before
he gets to the Shrine, or..."

"You have an idea?"

"Who says WE have to be the
ones to retrieve your wayward son?"

On the other side of the wall,
Nabiki winced and waited for the shoe to
drop.

"But none of your daughters
are interested in the marriage either, how
will you get them to go along with it?"

"They are my daughters and
they will abide by my decision. They are not
as mule-headed as your son."

{Wanna bet,} Nabiki thought.
Akane was specifically thought of.

"It's...worth a try, I guess.
Camping trip?"

"No, visiting family in a very
rustic setting, I think."

"They've got a hot spring, I
think." There had been something about
a hot spring, anyway.

Nabiki involuntarily grinned.
A hot spring? She then spent a considerable
amount of time chastising herself for that
very reaction. Waitaminute. Masaki? As in
the Masaki Onsen? Nabiki's interest turned
up three notches.

"It's a plan, then. Soun..."

"And Genma's..."

They chorused on the last
line. "Operation Hot Springs!"
--------------------------------------
From train, to bus, to boat. Ranma
Saotome expected a panda to suddenly appear
and haul her away to another meeting with the
Tendos. They knew where she was going, though
as well as the fact that somewhere along the line,
some water would somehow find its way into
triggering the change to his cursed form.

There had been that one nasty point
where she had seen that Chinese girl from the
mountain village. Ranma thought she'd gotten away
unseen by the amazon, though. Good thing the
amazon didn't know what Ranma looked like in
cursed form.

Currently in that cursed form, mainly
because it had gotten to be too much trouble
to switch back every time it happened.

Then from boat, to train, to bus,
to walking. It seemed a little strange to go
on a long hike without her father, but a quick
trip down memory lane was sufficient to bring
renewed pleasure at being alone.

Ranma got to a clear spot in the
road and stumbled to a halt. BIG was the
first impression. Two ships, hovering in
midair without any visible propellors, jets, or
other means of locomotion. One looked
relatively tiny to the one that seemed to
dominate the valley.

Ranma blinked a couple of times
more as her mental processes finally got
everything together. She increased his pace
towards the Shrine, a grin cutting across her
face. Alien invasion! Bug eyed monsters
coming to mutilate the planet, enslave the
women, rape the farm animals. (or something
like that.) Just the sort of thing to take one's
mind off one's trouble.
--------------------------------------
Shampoo froze and stared at
the way those things were hanging in the
air, exactly the way large hunks of wood
and metal are not supposed to do.

The picture of Ranma's cursed
form dropped from nerveless fingers as
she watched the sky rip itself open above
the two ships, and they vanished within it.

Shampoo continued to stare at
the sky for long minutes after that. She was
wishing that Aloe was here now instead of
reporting back to her Great Grandmother.
She wished her airen would stop walking.
She'd settle for a complete stranger that she
could grab by the collar, so long as somebody
gave her an explanation.

And there was her airen, loosening
some wooden sword in her backpack and
going directly into the area those ships had
just been in.

She was heartened somewhat by
the evident courage of her husband. On the
other hand, she would much rather that Ranma
would change back to male form and prove his
courage by some means that did not involve
skies being ripped open and mile long ships
hanging in midair.

An idea came to Shampoo. Yes,
she could just see it now: her airen surrounded
by alien invaders, when Shampoo arrives and
saves her airen (producing a hot water jug to
turn him back into a man), the lights go to soft
focus as she holds him in her arms...

Shampoo looked around. Her airen
had vanished. Cursing in a Tibetan dialect,
Shampoo ran in the direction her airen had
last been seen going.
"A hot spring?" Akane looked at the
two fathers and wondered where the punch line
was. "Can we afford this?"

"Well, if it's Mister Saotome's family
putting us up..." Nabiki started working her
abacus even though she'd worked out the figures
when she'd first heard of this. "If we do train to
boat to bus, hike into the valley...yeah we can
manage it."

"Oh, but who will take care of the
house if we're gone for the weekend?" Kasumi
put a hand to her cheek and looked concerned.

"Don't worry about a thing. We'll
keep an eye on the house, and it's only for a
weekend. Just go off and enjoy yourselves."
Soun nodded his head, arms folded and giving
his best stoic impression.

"Okay, let's get packed, no point
in wasting time." Nabiki grinned. A hot spring!
Free! And it was the Masaki hot spring, one of
the most exclusive ones in Japan! Only a few
who were especially privledged could get in,
a place where the wealthy and powerful had
been known to congregate for hundreds of
years. She could rub elbows with captains of
industry, political powers-that-be, movers and
shakers that she might NEVER have a chance
to meet otherwise.

Kasumi smiled slightly and nodded
to her sister. The healing properties of the
Masaki Onsen were said to be remarkable.
Maybe she'd have a chance to properly
apologize to Ranma, anyway.

Akane smiled. They could stay
at a hot spring? It didn't cost them anything?
Sounded good to her.

"There is one thing though,"
Genma pushed his glasses back. "I have a
letter here for you to take to Yosho, he's
the shrine priest and it is also his family
that maintains the onsen."

"No problem." Nabiki nodded,
getting up. She had some calls to make.

"Oh," Genma said as if just
thinking of this, "and if you see that
wayward son of mine, be sure you remind
him about the engagement."

Nabiki stopped as a thought
occurred to her. If she were engaged to
Ranma, then she could attend this onsen
whenever she wanted. The business
contacts she could make there...

Kasumi stopped as a thought
occurred to her. If she were engaged to
Ranma, then she could work at this onsen.
She wondered what their kitchen was like.

Akane frowned, realizing now
what the pricetag was. So this was the
grandfather Ranma had referenced when
he had left. Well, at least he wasn't
interested in this engagement either.

Soun Tendo's eyes flicked
from one daughter to another. Nabiki
looked thoughtful, Kasumi had a far away
look and a slight smile, and Akane was
scowling. This from mentioning Ranma.
No doubt about it, Akane and Ranma would
make a good couple.(1)

Genma noted the same reactions
and wondered if perhaps they should tag
along in secret and arrange for Ranma to
spend some time alone with the sisters.
Each had their benefits. For purely martial
arts purposes, Akane was the clear choice.
If the dojo was to be financially viable, Nabiki
was a superior candidate. If he wanted to
eat well, he should endorse Kasumi.

Genma, faced with three choices,
chose a fourth option. Go along with whatever
Soun said.
------------------------
Ranma paused at the edge of the
clearing and observed the goings on. There
were several people in front, near the docks.

Ranma recognized Tenchi and his
grandfather Yosho. There was also three
little girls and three older girls. Nobody was
fighting, and nobody looked particularly
alarmed at whatever had gone on.

Ranma wasn't sure whether to be
relieved or disappointed.

If it wasn't an alien invasion, sneaking
around was not going to go over very well. If it
WAS, then walking up to the front door was not
a tactically wise move.

Ranma moved into the shadows, and
watched. Maybe a little sneakery, then he'd knock
or at least know what his next move needed to be.
--------------------------------
Yosho glanced towards the open window,
recalling a vision he'd had years ago. He could sense
the young lady moving quite quietly towards the
window and wondered who she was.

She SEEMED familiar. The movements and
stance with the bokken suggested one of his apprentices,
but he doubted Ranma would have trained someone
in his style unless...

Yosho frowned and extended his awareness
through the network of Jurai trees. He'd find out.

A gasp brought the attention of all in the
room towards him. The girl wasn't related TO Ranma.
She WAS Ranma. He didn't understand, but the trees
were certain. They recognized Tenchi's cousin, and the
slumbering Jurai power within her.

"So Tenchi, are you disappointed?"

"Disappointed, grandpa?"

"You could have gone to planet Jurai with
your great grandfather..." Yosho smirked at the thump
caused by Ranma falling against the house. "Big mice
around here nowadays. Anyway, Tenchi, you know you
could have accompanied them. Gotten in touch with the
offworld part of your heritage."

Everyone else heard the thump this time,
though Ryoko looked suspicious, she wasn't going to
leave Tenchi alone right now.

"Tenchi doesn't need any of his Jurai
heritage, now, does he? I'm sure he'd rather cruise
some of the galaxy's pleasure spots with me." Ryoko
hugged Tenchi, grinning and sticking her tongue out
at Ayeka.

Ayeka might have investigated the sound
of someone gasping but all her attention was focussed
on the couple in front of her. "Let Lord Tenchi go!"

Sasami ignored the tug-of-war behind her
and stuck her head out the window. "Why, hello there!
Are you lost?"

Ranma slowly brought her eyes up to see
the little girl with long ponytails blinking at her from
the window. "Well...I...that is..."

"Ranma," Yosho said in a voice that would
brook no argument. "Why don't you come inside and
you can tell us how it is that you're currently of the
female persuasion?"

"Uh huh. And you can tell me what all
THIS is about." Ranma's mind was going into shock.
Tenchi was an alien? Did that mean that HE himself
was an alien?
------------------------------------
Shampoo snuck with all the grace of a
Nichieju warrior that expected to be pounced on by
slavering bug-eyed monsters at any moment. That
she was about ready to jump out of her nearly skin
tight Chinese jumpsuit went without saying.

"Shampoo really really really wish that
strong husband was with Shampoo right now. Not
that Shampoo need help from male, but Shampoo
find herself REALLY wanting to talk to someone."
She paused. "Just as long as it not Mousse."

Shampoo paused at the edge of the
clearing. There was her airen, obviously nervous,
heading into the house. Shampoo blinked. The
silly girl had put her sword away?

Shampoo covered her mouth afraid
that her gasp would be heard. Then afraid that her
heartbeat could be heard.

Shampoo was not a believer in the idea
that to feel fear was to be a coward. To HEED fear
is to be less than brave. Not to feel fear when confronted
with what one suspected were bloodsucking Martian
bug-men (or something similar) was a lack of intelligence.

Shampoo carefully moved from the edge of
the forest to the house, taking in the old shrine and the
path up to it. Something about all this struck a chord
within her. The red painted gateway, the tall tree visible
beyond a grove of similar trees and a set of buildings.

Her eyes widened. Great grandfather (on her
father's side) had always been ready to disprove the
notion of inferior males, though he had always deferred
to the Elders. His disagreements were always polite,
couched in gentle words and deeds, and a sad look when
he was confronted by the Elders for spreading dissent.

His image seemed to shimmer in front of her,
as he had died nine years ago, maybe it was his ghost
and not just a memory. "<Xian Pu, among my people,
whether one is a boy or a girl does not make them more
or less capable. What is in your heart is more important
than what is or isn't between your legs.>"

"<Great Grandfather Kogen...>" Shampoo
looked at the hill again, surrounded by the same
mountains as in his painting. The angle and the
buildings were different. The trees were older and
taller. For all the differences, it was the same. She
had found her ancestor's homeland.

Shampoo's eyes narrowed to slits. Her
ancestor's homeland! And it had been invaded by
Martians! Well, she was Shampoo, Champion of the
Nichieju! This would not be tolerated. Her hand
gripped the sword a little more firmly than it had
before.

First, save airen. Second, slay all evil
bloodsucking martians (they were always green,
so she knew what to look for.) Third, liberate her
ancient homeland so that she could return home
in triumph with her new husband!

It was, she felt, a quest worthy of a
Champion of the Amazons.
Well, that's it. I couldn't let go of the idea of
combining "Children Of An Alien God" and
"Ranma Muyo", so this came about. Now, as
poll...@hsonline.net is going to continue the
"Ranma Muyo" concept, i'll just step out of
the way here...

As for what _i_ would do...
-----------------------------
SCENE: a metal cube in deep space. The
view of the cube expands, revealing lines
in the cube. As we speed towards one of
the lines it is revealed to be a perfectly
formed square shaped indentation, and
still we speed in towards the shape. Finally
we come to a spaceship docking bay.

the author takes a moment to slap the
reader in Wichita who is humming "Star Wars" music.

SCENE: We continue to pass through the
various rooms and corridors until we come
to a single closed door outside of which is
a blinking yellow light.

the author looks for something large to
throw at the Canadian reader who is making
jokes about a hentai scene...

SCENE: The yellow light stops blinking and
turns green. The door opens and a figure
appears in silhoutte, stepping out as a deep
fog seeps away into the sterile atmosphere of
the spaceship.

Kagato: "Really, Washuu. Wasn't it YOU who
taught me that a scientist always makes a backup
of his data..."

arigato yo,
gregg

(1)- Soun's sense of judgement is
either a) based on keen insight (if you're
an Akane fan) or b) typical of having
Genma as a best friend (if not.)