[Ranma][FanFic] A Stained Glass Mind - Parts 5-7

Anand Rao

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

Tribe of One is owned by TSR

"So he should be here in a few days?" Soun asked his old friend as he
placed a go stone.

"With any luck, yes..." Genma replied. *If Nodoka doesn't kill him.*

Soun looked out into his back yard, watching the sun rise in the
horizon.

"It promises to be a beautiful day, eh Saotome?"

"Yes, Tendo... and soon, our families will be joined together."

Soun turned back to the game board and studied Genma's latest move.

"Hmmm... Which one of them do you think he will choose?" he finally
asked.

"I really don't know Tendo. I don't know what kind of girl he likes."

Soun glanced at Kasumi who was setting up the dining table for
breakfast. *A house wife?* He then turned towards Nabiki who was
yawning as she leaned forward on the table. *A career-minded woman?*
He then turned towards the Dojo where he could hear the sounds of bricks
being smashed. *A martial artist?*

"Well, which ever one he picks, he will be getting a good wife."

Genma nodded his head in agreement. "You have done a very fine job of
raising them, Tendo."

"Thank you... Where were you and Ranma BEFORE this recent trip to
China?"

"Uh... Er... Well, this trip to China was recent for ME, Ranma has been
there for the last ten years." Genma replied. *Please don't take this
the wrong way!*

"Really? So Ranma has been learning a lot Chinese styles, eh?"

"Uh.. yeah. hehehe... Um... But he has also learned Anything Goes; from
my sister, Ryoko"

"Sister? I didn't know you had a sister!"

"Well, she left home to... perfect her skills a long time ago."

"Well, it's good that Ranma has learned from her then."

The two men sat in silence for a moment and then Soun finally asked,

"Are you sure he'll agree to this? I mean, he does know about what we
planned, right?"

"Of course, Tendo... The boy knows his duty."

"Good, because things might get difficult if he is of two minds on this
subject..."

*You don't know the HALF of it* Genma thought morosely.

* *
* Raoh the Conqueror presents *
* *
* A Story of Ranma 1/2 *
* *
* A Stained Glass Mind part 5 *
* *

"I can't believe Daddy is forcing us into something like this!" Akane
said as she wiped the water off another plate.

"Well, it's not that bad _yet_ Akane, after all, he might be cute.
Right Kasumi?" Nabiki asked, standing in the kitchen doorway watching
her sisters work.

"Well, he's younger than me... So I can't marry him." Kasumi replied.

"That's a weak argument Kasumi." Nabiki chirped.

"And what about that stupid curse? He turns into a girl! He's gotta be
some kind of a freak or a pervert!" Akane fumed.

"Well, then he's perfect for you, right Akane? After all, _you_ don't
like boys.."

"Nabiki!" Akane said as her face turned a bright shade of red.

Before Nabiki could further embarrass her younger sister, someone
knocked on the front door.

"Oh! That might be Ranma!" Nabiki exclaimed as she turned around and
headed towards the front door.

"Come on Akane, we should greet our guest." Kasumi said, drying her
hands.

"Oh... OK." Akane replied.

Before they were able to exit the kitchen, however, Genma came barreling
in and hid behind Kasumi.

"Pleasedon'tletherhurtmepleasedon'tletherhurtmeplease-" he gibbered.

"What the-" Akane started to ask but was interrupted by a loud yell.

"HUSBAND! COME OUT HERE AT ONCE!"

"Oh my! Is that your wife, Mr. Saotome?" Kasumi asked.

"Pleasedon'tletherhurtmepleasedon'tletherhurtmeplease-" he gibbered.

"Oh please!" Akane said, exasperated.

She grabbed Genma firmly by the hand and dragged him out of the kitchen.
Genma was too paralyzed with fear to fight back. When Akane reached the
living room she saw a woman wearing a kimono who had a sword drawn.
Standing next to her was a boy with a red chinese-style shirt with long
black hair that was tied back in a pig tail.

The woman with the sword stalked angrily up to Akane and the girl
flinched when she looked at the woman's eyes. When she reached Akane
she suddenly smiled and said, "Thank you dear, I'll take it from here."

She then firmly grabbed a hold of Genma's ear and dragged him outside of
the house saying, "We have MUCH to discuss. Husband."

Akane stared at Nodoka's retreating form and then turned to her father
who was hugging the boy with the pig-tail.

"Uh... Dad?" Akane asked.

Soun let go of the boy and turned around to face Akane, his eyes
brimming with tears and a smile plastered all over his face. He kept
one arm over Ranma's shoulder.

"Oh Akane, good you're here. Kasumi! Nabiki! Gather around please."

Kasumi followed Akane out of the kitchen and Nabiki walked downstairs
with a camera in her hand.

"Girls," Soun began, "I would like you to meet Ranma Saotome. Genma's
son."

Soun turned his head towards Ranma and said, "Ranma I would like to
introduce you to my daughters. There is Kasumi, age 19, my middle
daughter Nabiki, age 17, and finally my youngest daughter Akane, age 16.
Pick any one you want. She will be your wife."

Ranma looked at each of the three girls in turn. Kasumi was slightly
smiling and had a vapid look on her face. Nabiki was looking at Ranma
with a speculative gleam in her eyes. Ranma shuddered; the girl looked
like a predator. Akane was glaring at Ranma with undisguised hatred.
He didn't need to be a telepath to know what SHE was feeling right now.
It took a lot of will power to keep Shade down when Ranma looked at
Akane. There was nothing but hostility there.

<Ranma> *Guardian. HELLLLLLP!!!!*

<Guardian> *All right Ranma, just calm down and let me up.*

Guardian took control and started probing the minds of all the people in
the room.

<Guardian> *OK... Kasumi is a gentle, sweet, airhead who thinks that
we are too young for her. Besides, she is a bit uncomfortable with the
curse.*

<Ranma> *Wait a minute! How did they find out about the curse?*

<Guardian> *Hold on a second...*

Guardian started a deeper probe and then started laughing.

<Ranma> *What's so funny?*

<Guardian> *Father came here as a panda!*

<Ranma> *What?*

<Bitter> *hahaha... Sounds like something that idiot would do!*

<Lyric> *Pop's a panda, pop's a panda, pop's a panda!*

<Guardian> *Please, not now...*

<Ranma> *Guardian, go on...*

<Guardian> *Yes, well, father changed back, scaring everyone half to
death I might add, and explained everything to Soun and the girls.*

<Ranma> *OK, what about the other two?*

<Guardian> *Nabiki doesn't really care about the curse, but she doesn't
want to marry us either. She is more concerned about how much money she
can make off of us. As for Akane... well, she hates us.*

<Ranma> *What? Why? What did we do to her?*

<Guardian> *Ranma, she's upset about the possibility of an arranged
marriage, she hates boys our age, the curse scares her, AND she's in
love with someone else... We are the primary cause of all her stress
right now, regardless of who thought of this idea.*

<Ranma> *Well, I guess I'd better say something.*

While Ranma was doing his mental 'research', it had seemed to the girls
that he was staring off into space, trying to make some kind of
decision. Soun looked expectant and a bit excited as Ranma turned
towards him.

"Mr. Tendo, I- I don't think that any of your daughters want to marry
me. Am I wrong?" Ranma asked turning towards the girls.

"It's not that you don't seem like a nice young man, but I think you're
too young for me." Kasumi said with a smile.

"I have a lot of plans right now, and marriage, just wouldn't fit right
now." Nabiki said.

Everyone turned towards Akane and she blushingly said, "I hate boys."

"Hmmm..." Nabiki hmmmed as she walked into the kitchen, filled a glass
with cold water and walked back out. She casually threw the water at
Ranma and watched the transformation. Ranma, because of the shock of
the water and the transformation lost control and Bitter came up.

Ranma/Bitter calmly wiped her face and said, "I assume there was a point
to that? Or perhaps you prefer this body better, eh Nabiki?"

Nabiki blushed for a moment then smirked, "Actually, I did it for Akane,
since she hates boys, but you're just too cute. We could find a nice,
handsome man for you easily."

Ranma/Bitter glared at Nabiki for a moment then started laughing.

"I could get to like you." She said with a sigh.

Nabiki just winked and smiled mysteriously.

<Guardian> *Bitter, be careful what you say!*

<Bitter> *Oh, no harm done, but I do like her. I need someone
intelligent to talk to once in awhile. I've always like the thrill of a
good debate or argument.*

<Lyric> *Bitter and Nabiki sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First-*

<Bitter> *Oh shut up! young whelp!*

Soun looked like he was going to cry.

"You- You don't want to marry ANY of them?" he asked in a stricken
voice.

"I don't KNOW any of them, and besides, they DON'T want to marry me. I
won't force a girl into a marriage, Mr. Tendo." Ranma/Bitter said.

<Guardian> *Very smooth... If I didn't know better, I'd say you
sounded almost noble*

<Bitter> *Oh please... This is just an argument, like any other. I'll
use any means necessary to win it.*

<Ranma> *I think you'd better let me up, now.*

Before Soun could respond, Nodoka walked back into the house, (her sword
was on her back this time), with a meek Genma walking behind her.

"It was rude of me to leave before introductions, but there were some
things that needed to be settled." Nodoka said as she smiled at Akane
and Kasumi.

"My name is Nodoka Saotome. You already know my husband, and I see that
you have met my son."

"Hello Auntie Saotome!" all three girls said in unison.

Nodoka smiled and got down to business.

"Now, about this arranged wedding between our families. I want you to
know that I am not against it, but I do know that my son is NOT ready
for marriage yet. I assume you girls feel the same way?"

All three girls nodded mutely.

"Well, that's settled then. Don't worry too much Tendo-san. Ranma will
start attending Furinken High school tomorrow. Genma tells me that two
of your daughters go there as well. Our children will have a chance to
get to know each other, and hopefully become friends. Anything else
that develops, well, that's between them. Understood?*

This time it was Soun and Genma who nodded mutely.

<Bitter> *God, I love that woman.*

<Ranma> *High school? Oh man...*

<Play> *Aw... It'll be fun! We'll get to met lots of new people and
join some clubs, maybe go on a few-*

<Bitter> *We have to study and do homework as well...*

<Play> *Ha! I'll leave that to you since you enjoy it so much!*

"Well," Nodoka continued, 'I guess that's everything. Genma, pack up
your belongings, you have a home to return to."

"Yes dear." Genma replied, starting to walk upstairs.

"Oh Auntie please, you must, at least, stay for lunch!" Kasumi said.

"Why thank you dear, we would love to. I'll help you in the kitchen."

"But you're a guest! I-"

"None of that! I'll help." Nodoka said as she followed Kasumi into the
kitchen.

Nabiki snapped off a few pictures of Ranma-chan and walked upstairs.

"Well, I got some homework to do... It was nice meeting you,
Ranma-kun." Nabiki said.

Ranma nodded in her direction while Genma and Soun sullenly returned to
their game of Go. This, of course, left Akane and Ranma-chan standing
alone together in the living room.

"Uh... well.." Ranma-chan began uncomfortably.

"You practice Kempo, right?" Akane said suddenly.

"Sure... a little." Ranma replied, not knowing where this conversation
was heading.

"Let's have a little match then. Nothing major, just sparring." Akane
said, sporting her first smile of the day.

<Ranma> *She is rather cute when she smiles, isn't she?*

<Guardian> *I wouldn't know.*

"OK... Actually that might be a good idea, I'm not used to fighting in
this form yet."

Ranma and Akane both headed off to the dojo, neither one noticing the
slight grins on their fathers' faces.

"Nice Dojo." Ranma said as they walked inside.

"Thanks. Shall we get started? Or do you need to get warmed up?"

"Naw. I'm ready to go." Ranma replied.

Akane stepped back from Ranma-chan and took a deep breath. She suddenly
jumped forward and tried to hit Ranma with a right jab. Ranma simply
dodged to the side, grabbed Akane's outstretched arm, and flipped her
over.

Akane, not used to being on the receiving during her fights, painfully
stood up and faced Ranma-chan again. She was more than a little angry
at herself as she attacked again. She charged towards Ranma with a yell
and jumped into air, her foot out-stretched towards Ranma's face.
Ranma-chan smiled and jumped _over_ Akane as she started her descent.
Ranma-chan quick turned around as she landed on her feet and promptly
kicked Akane in the back who had still not found her center of gravity
after her jump kick. Akane stumbled forward and fell, face-first, onto
the dojo floor.

<Lyric> *WooHoo! And we have a face-plant, ladies and gentlemen!*

<Ranma> *Shut up Lyric!*

Ranma-chan walked up to Akane and knelt down beside her, a concerned
look on her face.

"Hey, are you OK? I'm really sorry about that..."

Akane turned herself over and glared at Ranma-chan, but with a grudging
look of respect on her face.

"You're pretty good." she said after a while.

Ranma-chan sat down on the Dojo floor and said, "Thanks, I've been
training for a long time."

Akane sat up, rubbed her nose and said, "Your dad said that you were in
China..."

"Yeah... I've trained with my Aunt Ryoko there in a small village for
the past ten years."

Akane sat quietly for awhile and just looked at Ranma-chan.

After a while she said, "I'm sorry... for not being more hospitable
earlier. I'm usually not that rude to guests. I just got upset over
that wedding thing..."

"I understand. I don't want to marry you, you don't want to marry me.
No problem. Besides, you already like someone, right?" Ranma-chan said
with a smile.

Akane blushed and looked shocked at the same time.

"H-How did you know?" she finally asked.

"I'm psychic." Ranma said with a perfectly straight face.

Ranma's head was filled with mirthful laughter.

Akane just smiled back and shook her head. After a few minutes,
Ranma-chan closed her eyes, and Lyric took over. Slowly Ranma/Lyric
starting singing. Akane looked up in surprise as she listened to Ranma.
After a while, she too closed her eyes and relaxed as Lyric's song
vibrated through out the dojo.

*Well, maybe he's not such a freak after all...* Akane silently thought
to herself.

****************************
END part 5

Next: Kuno! 'nuff said!
****************************

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

Tribe of One is owned by TSR

"Are you SURE Ryoko said that you were her equal? Come on boy!" Genma
taunted Ranma.

"I'll wipe that smile off your face yet, Otosan!" Ranma replied.

<Play> *This is boring! Isn't breakfast ready yet? When are we going
to school?*

"HA! You haven't touched me yet!" Genma said as he dodged three more of
Ranma's swings.

The two men, father and son, were sparring in their small backyard.
Since Ranma was going to start school, Genma had planned early morning
workouts and would let Ranma train on his own in the evenings. Genma
felt that this method of training worked best. Ranma was a very
independent and creative student who could probably come up with all
sorts of interesting techniques on his own. Besides, the morning
sparring sessions would inform Genma if Ranma was lax in his training.

Nodoka smiled as she watched them from the kitchen window. Her small
family had a LOT to work out, but at least they were together, and that
was all that mattered. After watching them for a few minutes more, she
walked out to the backyard and said, "Come in you two, breakfast is
ready."

"Coming, Dear!" Genma replied then turned back towards Ranma.

"Ok, boy, that's enough for today."

Ranma nodded and walked back inside the house.

<Ranma> *Otosan is a bit better than we gave him credit for.*

<Guardian> *A bit? You didn't manage to hit him once!*

<Bitter> *He's still an idiot.*

<Guardian> *Well, that goes with out saying...*

<Ranma> *But I CAN learn something from him. At least that's a start.*

* *
* Raoh the Conqueror presents *
* *
* A Story of Ranma 1/2 *
* *
* A Stained Glass Mind part 6 *
* *

"Are you ready to introduce your new fiancee' to all your friends?"
Nabiki teased.

"NABIKI! He is not my-"

"Uh.. Good morning Nabiki, Akane..."

Akane glared at Ranma who was currently standing in front of the Tendo
home. She and Nabiki had just walked outside on their way to school.

"What are YOU doing here?" Akane demanded.

"Good morning, Ranma-kun! Are you here to walk us to school? How
sweet!" Nabiki said.

Ranma scratched the back of his head and said "Well, yeah... Actually
Okasan suggested it, especially since I don't know where Furinken is.
Besides, Okasan thinks that it will give us a chance to get to know each
other."

"Well whatever..." Akane said as she stormed off down the street.

"Don't worry about her too much, Ranma-kun. The beginning of the school
day is kind of stressful for Akane." Nabiki said.

Ranma nodded wordlessly and he and Nabiki followed after Akane. After a
few minutes Ranma let Guardian take control and she probed Nabiki.

<Guardian> *Wow. Akane has to fight a bunch of guys at school every
day.*

<Bitter> *Ranma, guess the two of you have something in common after
all...*

<Ranma> *Every day? Why?*

<Guardian> *Well, apparently someone named Kuno, who Nabiki thinks of
as a cute, idiotic cash cow, told the entire student body of Furinken
that if anyone wants to date Akane, they have to defeat her in combat.*

<Ranma> *You can't be serious!*

<Guardian> *Well, obviously we haven't seen it yet, but this
information is coming straight from Akane's and Nabiki's minds*

<Ranma> *I guess that explains why Akane is so angry. Does she still
hate us?*

<Guardian> *Yes, but is a more general kind of hate.*

<Ranma> *WHAT, exactly, is a general kind of hate?*

<Guardian> *Yesterday, she hated us because of the engagement. Today
she hates us because you are an adolescent male.*

<Ranma> *But I thought she was already in love with someone?*

<Guardian> *Yes, she is in love with their family doctor. A Dr. Tofu,
but she thinks that he loves Kasumi.*

<Ranma> *What a mess! Dozens of guys from school like her, but she
likes some doctor who likes her sister, right?*

<Guardian> *Something like that...*

<Bitter> *What's it to you anyway, Ranma?*

<Ranma> *Hey! I just want a friend, that's all... I've been kinda
lonely since we left the village.*

<Play> *Lonely? Why? You still have us!*

<Ranma> *It's not the same, Play...*

<Bitter> *Enough of this, Ranma. Let me out, I want to talk to
Nabiki.*

<Ranma> *Why?*

<Bitter> *Never mind why! Just let me out!*

<Ranma> *Ok, Ok...*

Ranma/Bitter walked up to Nabiki and smirked in anticipation.

"So Nabiki," he began casually, "what was with the pictures yesterday?
Wanted something for your scrap-book? Or maybe your Hope chest?"

Nabiki glanced at Ranma and said, "Nothing like that, I just thought
that some of the more popular men's magazines would be interested in a
cute girl like you. Don't be surprised if you get a call or two..."

<Ranma> *Bitter! What the hell are you doing?*

"I'm sure you'll be first in line to buy those magazines, eh Nabiki?"

"Hmph. You wish. By the way, I get a 40% cut on whatever you make off
those pictures."

"Do you two HAVE to act so perverted?" Akane asked plaintively from up
ahead.

"You have to learn to relax and laugh a little Akane... Life isn't as
bad as you seem to think it is..." Ranma/Bitter said.

Akane whirled towards Ranma and said, "Don't you start with me! You no
nothing about what my life is like!"

<Ranma> *You'd be surprised...*

"Can it be any worse than changing genders when getting hit with water?"
Ranma/Bitter asked.

"Never mind... You wouldn't understand. You're just a... just a...
BOY!" Akane replied as she ran on ahead towards school.

"Come on, if we hurry, you can see what it is that bothers her so much."
Nabiki said to Ranma as she hurried after Akane.

<Bitter> *I hate running... You can come back Ranma...*

<Play> *I wanna come out! It's MY turn!*

<Guardian> *Play, there's going to be a fight, are you SURE you want to
around for it?*

<Play> *Well...*

<Ranma> *Play, I'll let you out during lunch, OK?*

<Play> *Promise?*

<Ranma> *Yeah, I promise.*

Bitter ducked under and Ranma ran after Nabiki. As soon as they got to
the front of the school, Ranma jumped up on the gate and watched as
dozens upon dozens of boys attacked Akane. Nabiki weaved in and out
through the crowd and was able to make it the school building in ease.
Ranma smiled as he saw Akane defeat boy after boy who attacked her.

<Play> *She has THIS many guys after her and she's upset? What a
waste!*

<Guardian> *She wants to be loved, like most people. She doesn't like
THIS. Those morons who are trying to defeat her is the reason why she
hates boys.*

<Bitter> *She COULD try being a bit less violent herself. She seems to
be something of a tomboy.*

<Ranma> *Actually, she reminds of some of the women from the village;
strong and confident.*

"Ranma-kun! Get into the building right now! You don't want to be late
on your first day!"

Ranma looked up to a third-floor window and saw Nabiki waving towards
him.

<Ranma> *How did she get through the crowd?*

<Bitter> *Maybe she's not such a bad martial artist herself...*

"Don't worry Nabiki, I won't be late... I just want to watch this..."
Ranma replied.

<Watcher> *It's going to rain soon.*

Ranma looked up at the sky and noticed it was getting cloudy. He looked
back towards Akane and was happy to see that the fight was over.

<Ranma> *Good, I can get back inside before it rains...*

<Guardian> *It's not over yet..*

Ranma watched as Akane caught a rose that whizzed by her head. Her face
took on a resigned look as a young man wearing a purple kimono and
carrying a bokken walked out in front of her. He started speaking to
Akane in formal manner that was somewhat unfamiliar to Ranma.

<Ranma> *What is that gibberish he's spouting?*

<Bitter> *That's Shakespeare, Ranma. What he's basically saying is
that the boys who fought Akane were not good enough for her, and that HE
is the only man truly worthy of her.*

<Ranma> *Ah... This must be Kuno. Guardian?*

Ranma ducked under and Guardian took control and probed the man with the
bokken.

<Guardian> *Yep, that's Kuno all right... A legend in his own mind.
He is rather delusional as well. He is madly in love with Akane and
believes that she loves him as well. He can not imagine why she would
not.*

<Bitter> *The guy's a fruitcake!*

<Ranma> *I think I'd better step in here...*

<Guardian> *That might not be a good idea Ranma, besides he would never
hurt her. He always holds back when he fights her...*

<Ranma> *Still...*

<Play> *Go ahead Ranma! Introduce us! He's kinda cute!*

With one last, long look at the increasingly darkening sky, Ranma jumped
off the gate and walked up to Akane.

"Your technique's not half bad, Akane... I'll remember that the next
time we spar."

Akane turned towards Ranma, a scathing reply on her lips, but was
interrupted.

"You there! You are being very familiar with Akane! Who are you!" Kuno
demanded.

"Well, I'm-"

"Is it not customary to give one's own name first?" Kuno interrupted.

"Well, sure, if-"

"Very well. Mine I shall give. I am the rising star of the High School
Fencing World! The guilty tremble at the mere sound of my name! I am
the Blue Thunder of Furinken High!"

Kuno paused as a flash of lightening struck the dark sky.

<Bitter> *His timing isn't half bad.*

"Tatawaki Kuno. Age 17," he continued.

<Bitter> *Go ahead Ranma, I think its your turn now.*

"Uh... Nice to meet you Kuno. My name is Ranma Saotome." Ranma
replied.

"Oh, I'm a student of the Saotome School of Anything Goes Martial Arts,"
he said as an after-thought.

"Once again knave, WHY are you being so FAMILIAR with Akane Tendo?" Kuno
demanded.

"What business is that of yours?" Ranma asked, his tone deliberately
belligerent.

<Guardian> *Ranmaaaaaa... We DON'T have time for this now! Unless you
want to become a girl in front of all these students."

<Ranma> *Relax, this won't take long...*

<Bitter> *One of these days your over-confidence is going to get us
killed!*

<Lyric> *Bitter is a fraidy-cat! Bitter is a fraidy-cat!*

<Bitter> *Quiet You!*

"If you wish to date the glorious Akane Tendo, you MUST defeat her in
battle! But you, you are hardly worth mentioning! Stand aside
scullion, lest you feel my wrath!"

"I don't want to date anyone, Kuno. I just want to be Akane's friend,
that's all. However, if you want a fight, I'd be more that happy to
kick your arrogant ass!"

Kuno started charging towards Ranma, his bokken held high.

<Watcher> *It's going to rain, now!*

<Guardian> *Ranma! Let Shade loose! We need to end this quick!*

<Ranma> *I don't want to kill him!*

<Guardian> *Shade's main priority is to protect the tribe! He'll get
us out of this rain, and quick! Do it!*

Ranma reluctantly let the Shade take over just as Kuno was in striking
distance. Ranma/Shade crouched down and launched an upper-cut right as
Kuno was bringing the bokken down on Ranma's head.

Ranma/Shade's fist went through the bokken and continued on until it met
with Kuno's chin. The blow pick Kuno up off his feet and he landed on
his back. Ranma/Shade ran past Kuno's prone form and was able to get
into the school building just before the beginning of the rain shower
hit the ground.

Ranma winced in pain as he took control and looked at his bloodied fist.
The wooden blade had managed to cut him as it struck his fist. Akane
ran out of the rain and joined Ranma in the school building.

"Are you OK?" she asked in a concerned voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine.... Just cut myself a little. Kuno ain't bad. It
takes a lot of skill to make a clean cut with a blunt, wooden sword."

"You were lucky that the bokken broke. If it hadn't he might have slit
your hand in half."

"Maybe..." Ranma said, cradling his injured hand.

<Bitter> *Well, I for one DO NOT want to be out for a while, that looks
painful!*

"Here, let me take a look at that..." Akane said as she took a
handkerchief out of her school bag and tied it around Ranma's hand.

"There, that should stop the bleeding until we go to the clinic after
school." Akane said.

<Play> *That was so sweet of her!*

<Guardian> *I suppose...*

"Thanks Akane..." Ranma replied as he followed Akane to their classroom.

As it turned out, Ranma and Akane, WERE late to class and the teacher
made them stand in the hall, holding a bucket of water in each hand.
Akane became angry again. In fact, it seemed to Ranma, that 'anger' was
Akane's favorite pastime. Of course, she was angry at him.

"Baka." she whispered angrily.

"It wasn't my fault!" Ranma whispered back.

"Then whose fault was it? I'm NEVER late to class, in spite of the
morning fights. Then, you come along, butt in where you're not wanted
_or_ needed and all of a sudden, I'm late!" Akane said, this time
somewhat louder than a whisper.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? He insulted me and all but challenged
me and just because I was talking to you!" Ranma replied.

"I don't need YOU to defend me!" Akane yelled.

"I wasn't defending you!" Ranma yelled back.

"QUIET YOU TWO!" their teacher said, sticking his head out into the
hallway.

Ranma and Akane quickly shut their mouths and stood rock still against
the wall. Suddenly, Kuno came barging around the corning, carrying his
bokken over his shoulders with a water-filled bucket hanging on either
end.

"I shall never forgive such insolence, Saotome!" Kuno bellowed.

<Play> *Kuno-chan's back!*

<Bitter> *What does HE want?*

"What's wrong now Kuno?" Ranma asked.

"Nabiki Tendo told me how you were ALMOST engaged to the fair Akane! I
can not let such insolence go unpunished!"

<Bitter> *He's mad because we were ALMOST engaged?*

<Guardian> *People like him will use any excuse to fight... not too
unlike Ranma here..*

<Ranma> *Hey! I'm not THAT bad!*

Kuno twirled both buckets over his head and then launched them at Ranma.
Ranma jumped up in the air and landed on one of the buckets as it hit
the floor. He managed to avoid all the water.

"This is no place to fight Kuno... Follow me!" Ranma said as he ran
down the hall.

Kuno ran after Ranma, swinging his bokken in all directions. All the
students from Akane and Ranma's class suddenly burst out into the hall.
Apparently, they had over heard the whole conversation and wanted to
know about Akane's engagement.

Akane tried to catch up with Kuno and Ranma but first had to get past
all her classmates.

"For the last time, WE ARE NOT ENGAGED!" She screamed, finally able to
get past them.

The rest of the class followed her as she rounded the corner just in
time to see Ranma jump out the window. Akane just stood there with an
incredulous look on her face. *Idiot! This is the third floor* she
thought to herself. To her continued amazement, Kuno jumped out after
Ranma! She ran over to the window and yelled out, "Ranma you idiot!"

"Hey don't worry Akane! No problem!" Ranma yelled back.

<Watcher> *There's a pool under us.*

<Play> *Cool! Haven't been swimming in a long time! Lucky!*

Ranma looked down in dismay, "Lucky she says!"

Ranma started to panic as the pool got closer, the last thing he wanted
to do was change into a girl while his whole class was watching on.
Shade, sensing Ranma's fear and feeling that the tribe was in danger,
immediately took control. Ranma/Shade straightened his body and fell
into the pool, Kuno following soon after.

As soon as he hit entered the pool, Shade felt the transformation, but
ignored it. Kuno appeared right in front of Ranma/Shade and had a
shocked look on his face. He remembered Ranma falling into the pool,
but the person he was staring at was DEFINITELY not Ranma. For one
thing, the person in question had red hair, not black. The person in
question also appeared to have a smaller build and a much cuter face.
In fact, the person in question seemed to be a female. Kuno, forgetting
that he was underwater, decided to open his mouth and ask the lovely
young lady who she was, but never got the chance.

Ranma/Shade knew that Kuno was the immediate threat, so she pulled her
fist back and hit Kuno squarely under the chin with an upper-cut.
Fortunately for Kuno, the water slowed down the punch, or he would
probably have died. As it was, the blow was powerful enough to send
Kuno flying out of the water. He landed on his head on the floor right
at the edge of the pool. The last thing Kuno remembered before he
blacked out was that the girl had a faint, black aura around her body.

The threat gone, Shade pulled back and Play took control. Ranma/Play
jumped out of the pool, gave all the students staring at her the victory
sign, then ran off into the forest.

<Ranma> *Oh man... Guess they all know now...*

<Bitter> *What on earth possessed you to jump out of the THIRD floor?!*

<Ranma> *It seemed like a good idea at the time...*

<Guardian> *This was inevitable, they would have found out about us
eventually.*

<Play> *I hate wet clothes!*

Ranma/Play jumped up into a tree and quickly removed her pants.

<Guardian> *Play, what ARE you doing?*

<Play> *Oh relax... I just want to get rid of the excess water, that's
all...*

<Watcher> *Akane's here.*

<Ranma> *Let me out Play!*

<Play> *No!, not yet... I just got here... I haven't been out since we
were at Jusenkyo!*

Akane walked up to the tree Ranma was in and looked up.

"That was a really stupid move, Ranma." Akane said.

"Well... I- I won, didn't I?" Play said rather lamely.

Akane shook her head. "You are very lucky that the rest of the class
was so far up, they didn't really notice your change. Plus, you managed
to knock out Kuno... He's still back at the pool, just staring off into
space."

"It wasn't luck! It was skill. I'm REALLY good at what I do, Akane."
Ranma/Play smirked.

"Whatever... I brought you some hot water, I figured you would want
it." Akane said, holding out a steaming kettle.

"Uh... No thanks, I think I'll stay like this for a while." Ranma/Play
replied.

<Ranma> *Play! You take that water right now!*

"You WANT to stay as a girl?" Akane asked, not believing what she had
heard.

"Well, sure... It's-"

<Watcher> *Kuno is coming.*

"Hmmm.. Isn't that Kuno over there?" Ranma/Play asked Akane.

Akane quickly turned around and saw Kuno. She tossed the kettle up to
Ranma and said, "Hurry up and change back into a boy while I buy you
some time."

Ranma/Play caught the kettle and put it on the branch next to her, while
Akane ran off to meet Kuno.

<Ranma> *Hurry up and change! We can't let Akane fight Kuno!*

<Guardian> *Relax Ranma, Kuno would never hurt Akane... She doesn't
need YOUR help.*

Ranma/Play leaned back against the tree and just looked out at the sky.

<Play> *It's a beautiful day. I'm glad we get to see it...*

<Bitter> *This is fine way to spend our first day of school! We're
missing class!*

<Play> *What are you whining about? Math and history don't change;
they'll still be there tomorrow.*

<Watcher> *WATCH OUT!!!!!*

Kuno fell from the sky and landed head first on the kettle that Akane
had given Ranma.

"So we meet again, pig-tailed girl." Kuno observed.

"Hiya Kuno-chan!" Ranma/Play said coyly.

"Why are you still like THAT!" Akane said from down below.

"Oh Akane, were YOU the one who sent Kuno flying up here?" Ranma/Play
asked.

"Tell me, pig-tailed one, have you by any chance seen that _cur_ Ranma
Saotome?" Kuno asked.

<Ranma> *OK, That's it! Play! Let me up!*

<Play> *NO! I wanna talk to Kuno-chan!*

Ranma placed his will against Play and forced her down.

<Ranma> *Remember what I told you at Jusenkyo, Play! Don't you dare
start hittin' on Kuno.*

<Play> *Aw, I was just having fun! I'll do it with Akane, next time,
if you want!*

<Guardian> *PLAY!*

"Look Kuno, I don't plan on sittin' here all day listen to this!"
Ranma-chan said as she knocked Kuno off the branch.

Kuno landed on the ground hard and glared at Ranma-chan as she jumped
off the tree.

"That hurt, you know." He said.

Ranma-chan ignored Kuno and turned towards Akane, "Let's get outta
here."

"Hold! Dost thou thinkst that you can insult me an walk away?" Kuno
demanded.

<Ranma> *Oh man, not the Shakespeare junk again!*

<Bitter> *Actually, that's just archaic Japanese.*

<Ranma> *Whatever...*

"What do you want Kuno?" Ranma-chan asked in a flat voice.

"Thou art brave as thou art lovely! If you can defeat me, I will allow
you to date with me!"

<Play> *Kuno-chan wants a date?!*

Ranma-chan's face turned livid with anger. She ran up to Kuno, dodged a
swipe he made with his bokken, and kicked him in the face. Kuno lost
his grip on the bokken and tumbled to the ground. Ranma-chan caught the
bokken in mid-air and twirled it around in her hand.

"Oh, by the way Kuno... Ranma Saotome is even better than I am!" she
said loftily.

She turned around and walked out of the forest. Akane ran up after her
and said,

"Hey! School isn't over yet!"

"Yeah, yeah.. just let me change back..." Ranma replied.

"Are you a pervert or something? WHY were you FLIRTING with Kuno?"
Akane demanded.

"I WAS NOT FLIRTING WITH KUNO!" Ranma-chan screamed.

"That's what it looked like to me..." Akane said.

Ranma-chan stuck her hand in her pockets and continued walking in
silence, sulking.

<Ranma> *Perfect. Juuuuuuust perfect.*

End part 6

Next: Kuno proclaims his Love!
Meet Dr. Tofu!
Enter Ryoga, the Lost Boy!

Ranma 1/2 is owned by Rumiko Takahashi

Tribe of One is owned by TSR

"Your hand is starting to bleed again Ranma." Akane said as the pair
walked out of the school building.

"Yeah, I know. I figured I'd wait until class was over before I did
anything about it." Ranma replied.

Actually, Bitter was rather insistent that the tribe not miss any more
classes that day. He felt that things had started off bad enough with
being late and then having a fight with Kuno during class. Ranma was in
no mood to argue with Bitter, and still felt somewhat irritated with
Play, so he remained quiet and stayed in school.

<Bitter> *Perhaps it might have been better to leave early, I couldn't
concentrate in class with all that pain.*

<Ranma> *Serves you right! YOU'RE the one who wanted to stay.*

<Bitter> *You'll thank me one day when you discover that your punches
and kicks won't solve all your problems.*

<Guardian> *Settle down... It's been a long day for everyone.*

"Well, I know where we you can get it taken care of. There's a clinic
nearby, the doctor there has taken care me since I was very young."
Akane said, a smile tugging at her lips.

<Guardian> *Dr. Tofu, if I don't miss my guess...*

<Bitter> *Very smooth Akane... She's not as stupid as I thought.*

"Ok, let's go there." Ranma replied.

<Ranma> *I am a bit curious to meet the guy she likes.*

<Lyric> *hooooooo..... Ranma is jeeealous!*

<Ranma> *sigh... shut up Lyric...*

* *
* Raoh the Conqueror presents *
* *
* A Story of Ranma 1/2 *
* *
* A Stained Glass Mind part 7 *
* *

Akane led Ranma to Dr. Ono Tofu's clinic, which happened to be located
between Furinken High School and the Tendo Dojo.

<Guardian> *Makes sense that she comes here, very convenient.*

<Bitter> *Yeah, I bet a tomboy like her has to visit a doctor on a
regular basis.*

"Here it is Ranma. Let's go inside." Akane said.

Akane and Ranma entered the clinic and found the waiting room empty.

"Looks like there's no one here..."

"Yeah, lucky for you. He'll be able to fix that hand."

<Bitter> *Lucky for _her_ too.*

"Dr Tofu! Are you there?" Akane called out.

The door to the examination room open and Genma-Panda walked out.

"Otosan! What are you doing here? Are you sick?" Ranma asked.

Genma/Panda held up a sign that read, *I work here*

"Ah... um... Uncle Saotome? Is the Doctor in?" Akane asked, a bit
flustered at seeing a panda in the clinic.

"I'm right here Akane." Dr. Tofu said as he walked out behind the panda.

Dr. Tofu was a young man with of average height and an average build,
Ranma noticed. He looked so ordinary and Ranma wondered what it was
that Akane saw in him. He did, however, have a kind unassuming face
that wore a gentle expression.

<Guardian> *After all the violence and male piggishness she has to put
up with every day, maybe she needs a kind, gentle, man.*

<Play> *Besides, he's cute!*

"So Akane, what brings you here? Any new injuries?" Dr. Tofu asked.

<Bitter> *I told you!*

"No doctor, I mean, I haven't been doing anything that would cause any
injuries.." Akane replied in a shy voice. He lowered her eyelashes and
blushed demurely.

<Ranma> *Man, she's got it bad!*

<Bitter> *Ah... but don't forget, the good doctor loves another...*

<Ranma> *At least, Akane THINKS so... Guardian, wanna check it out?*

<Guardian> *If you really want... but why? What concern is it to us?*

<Ranma> *Well, one way or another, I can help Akane deal with it.*

<Guardian> *Is that ALL you want to do? Help her?*

<Ranma> *You know it's impossible for me to keep anything from you...
all I want is her friendship, you know that.*

<Guardian> *That's true now, but I don't like the direction this
'friendship' is taking.*

<Ranma> *Oh come on, I've only known her for two days!*

<Guardian> *I just want to remind you that nothing can come of you
falling in love, it will just lead to pain for the both of you...*

<Ranma> *OK, 'mother'! Can you check Tofu now?*

<Guardian> *sigh... As you wish.*

Guardian took control and gently probed Dr. Tofu's mind.

<Guardian> *He's a really nice guy. Damn good martial artist too. Oh,
and he is head over heals in love with Kasumi. Looks like Akane was
right.*

<Bitter> *Rather perceptive of her, for a tomboy.*

<Ranma> *Why do you keep calling her that?*

<Bitter> *It seems to fit her personality. At least, from what we've
seen so far.*

<Guardian> *ANYway, he's a bit frustrated because he can not tell
Kasumi how he feels. Actually, he loses complete control of himself
when she's around.*

<Ranma> *Loses control? In what way?*

<Guardian> *Well he... hmmm... I think you're going to have to see it
to believe it.*

<Ranma> *Oh well... poor Akane.*

<Guardian> *Its not like its a big surprise. She KNEW how he felt.*

<Ranma> *Does Kasumi know?*

<Guardian> *Akane doesn't think so... but we can check later if you
want...*

<Ranma> *Thanks.*

"So who's your friend, Akane?" Dr. Tofu asked.

"Oh.. this is Ranma Saotome. Actually, HE'S the one who's injured. He
cut his hand while sparring with someone at school."

"Saotome, eh? You wouldn't be related to my new assistant here, would
you?" Tofu asked.

"Actually, he's my father." Ranma replied.

"Ha... There's not much of a family resemblance, is there? Well, let's
go to the examination room and have a look at that hand."

Dr. Tofu led Ranma and the others back into the examination room then
carefully inspected Ranma's hand.

"Doesn't look TOO bad. A little disinfectant and some new bandages, and
you should be all set."

Dr. Tofu walked over to a medicine cabinet and took out a small brown
bottle and a roll of fresh white gauze. He walked back to where Ranma
was sitting and used some of the gauze to clean the wound with some
disinfectant. He then proceeded to bandage the wound.

"There, that should do it. Be more careful the next time you spar."

"Thanks Doctor. I appreciate it." Ranma said.

"Hahaha... No problem. Well, you kids better get home. I'll see you
later."

Ranma and Akane left the clinic in silence. Ranma glanced at Akane
several times as he walked her home. She a far-away look in her eyes
and a goofy grin plastered on her face.

"So, he's the one." Ranma said after a while.

Akane nearly tripped as she lost her train of thought.

"What did you say?" Akane asked, blushing slightly.

"He's the one. Dr. Tofu; he's the one you like, right?"

"How... how did you-"

"Like I said, I'm psychic." Ranma said grinning.

<Bitter> *That's only funny once, Ranma.*

"Actually, I could tell by the look on your face; Hell! A BLIND person
could see it!"

"He- He's always been there for me and my family. Whenever I had a
problem, or got hurt, he would make it better." Akane said.

"You're lucky to have such a nice boyfriend." Ranma said, trying to keep
his voice neutral and non-patronizing at the same time.

Akane didn't respond to Ranma's comment and the pair continued to walk
in silence. Soon, they arrived in front of the Tendo Dojo and Ranma was
about to head home, when Nabiki came running out of the house.

"Ranma-kun! I have a message for from Kuno. At least, _I think_ it's
for you." Nabiki said as she handed Ranma a folded slip of paper.

"'To the Tree-Bourne Kettle Girl'???" Ranma read aloud.

"He doesn't seem to know about your curse yet." Nabiki said with a
smirk.

Ranma unfolded the paper and looked at it intently. After a few minutes
Akane became impatient and said, "Well? What does he want?!"

"He wants me to meet in the field at the back of the school at 6:34 this
evening. Heh. Looks like a challenge." Ranma said with a grin.

<Bitter> *Do you HAVE to get excited over these things?*

<Play> *6:34? What kind of a stupid time is that?*

<Bitter> *Who can read the mind of a delusional loser?*

<Guardian> *I can.*

"You're not going, are you?" Akane asked in a concerned voice.

"Of course I'm going! I never turn down a challenge! Especially one
from an idiot like Kuno."

"You'd better be careful Ranma..." Akane warned.

"Don't worry Akane, I'll be fine. Well, I'd better get going. See ya
tomorrow!" Ranma said as he ran home.

If Ranma had turned back, he would have noticed that Akane and Nabiki
had mirror images of concern written all over their faces.

**********************************

"Okasan! I'm home!" Ranma called out as he removed his shoes and
entered the house.

"Welcome back, Ranma-chan. How was the first day of school?" Nodoka
asked.

"Well, it wasn't boring...." Ranma replied.

He proceeded to tell her about Kuno, Akane's morning fight, falling into
the pool, Play's reaction to Kuno, and finally the challenge.

"That boy would actually challenge a girl?" Nodoka said her voice tight
with anger and surprise.

"Okasan, I know you're the traditional sort, but believe me, I know a
LOT of women who could beat guys like Kuno. I was raised by them,
remember?"

"It's still not right! Someone should talk to that boy's father. There
is no honor in this!" Nodoka continued to fume.

"Okasan, I'll handle it, OK?"

Nodoka sighed and ran her fingers through Ranma's hair.

"What ever you think best. Just be careful, OK? And you'd better
re-bandage that hand before you go."

"I'll be fine, Okasan." Ranma replied as he turned back towards the
door.

<Guardian> *Aren't you forgetting something?*

<Ranma> *What?*

<Bitter> *Sigh... get some cold water Ranma, we gotta be female for
this, remember.*

<Ranma> *Oh yeah...*

Ranma turned towards Nodoka, a sheepish grin on his face.

"Could you get me a glass of cold water, Okasan?"

************************************

After changing into a female, Ranma-chan ran to the assigned meeting
place and waited for Kuno to show up. She glanced at her watch and
smiled in anticipation.

<Ranma> *Just a few more minutes to go.*

<Bitter> *Assuming the idiot gets here on time.*

<Guardian> *Why wouldn't he? HE set the time, after all.*

<Play> *Why does he want to fight us anyway?*

<Bitter> *Well, Ranma DID knock him off a tree branch.*

<Play> *Ranma, why-*

<Watcher> *He's here.*

Ranma-chan looked up into the waning light of the setting sun and
watched as Kuno approached her.

<Play> *He looks sooooo COOL walking with the sun-light like that!*

<Guardian> *I think that was the general idea.*

"It is now 6:34... The time when the sunset is most beautiful." Kuno
intoned.

"Yeah, yeah... Let's get on with it. Say, where's that big stick you
always carry around?" Ranma-chan asked.

"I will not be needing it." Kuno replied in a level voice.

"Heh. Rather confident, aren't you? I like that." Ranma-chan said.

"Confident enough, to give you... THIS!" Kuno yelled as he threw an
object at Ranma-chan.

<Bitter> *Incoming!*

<Ranma> *No problem.*

<Watcher> *No danger.*

Ranma-chan, almost without thinking about it, reached out and snatched
the object in mid-air. She started to smile when she noticed red rose
petals start to fall and float all around her. She looked up at the
object in her hand and her eyes narrowed in consternation and confusion.
She was holding a large bouquet of red roses.

"Pig-tailed girl..." Kuno began.

"Y-yes?" Ranma-chan replied.

"I love you." Kuno said deeply and simply as he turned into the sunset
and walked away.

Ranma-chan slumped to the ground, speechless with shock.

<Bitter> *HAHAHAHAHAHA... Guess you lost that one Ranma!*

<Play> *He LOVES us! He actually LOVES us! Let me out! I have to go
catch him!*

<Guardian> *NOW is DEFINITELY not the time, Play. Ranma? Ranma, are
you OK?*

<Ranma> *...*

Guardian sighed as she gently pulled Ranma back and took control.

<Guardian> *We'd better get home...*

Ranma/Guardian walked home and found Nodoka cooking dinner in the
kitchen.

"Okasan, can we talk?" Ranma/Guardian asked.

"Sure Ranma-chan. I'm glad you're OK... How did the fight go?"

"Well, first off, I'm Guardian, not Ranma..."

Nodoka looked up in alarm. "Is Ranma alright? Did something happen to
him?"

"I think he's in shock. He should be all right by tomorrow morning.
Kuno came and, well, there wasn't any fight. He told us that he loved
us. I think he's become infatuated with this female form."

"Oh dear..." Nodoka said in dismay.

"Exactly... Play is the only one who's happy about the situation."

<Play> *Why shouldn't I be? Kuno's cute, romantic, and a gentleman.*

<Bitter> *He's an idiot. Remember what Ranma said, Play... You
mustn't go after Kuno.*

<Play> *Well...*

"I think, we'll be going to bed now, Okasan. Ranma seems to enjoy this
craziness, but the rest of as are exhausted."

"Ok, dear, go on. And if Play causes any trouble, let me know. I'll
have a talk with her." Nodoka replied.

"Thanks, Okasan." Ranma/Guardian replied as she smiled tiredly and
walked off to bed.

The next morning, Ranma woke up and went to the backyard to spar with
his father.

<Ranma> *Man, what a night! I had the most god-awful nightmare.*

<Bitter> *Yes, we know... you woke US up when it happened.*

Ranma yawned as he stepped out into the backyard. Genma was already
there, waiting for him.

"You are going to have to wake up earlier, boy." Genma reproved.

"Sorry, Otosan. I didn't sleep well."

"Heh. I heard about your fight yesterday. Pathetic! Who taught you to
block a sword thrust with your hand?" Genma asked.

"It... wasn't me, Otosan." Ranma replied.

"What do you mean, it wasn't- oh... It was one of the... others?"

"Yes."

"Well, ok... Uh... let's get started then." Genma said as he bowed
towards Ranma.

<Guardian> *He's not ready to hear all of this yet.*

<Bitter> *Maybe Ranma should introduce Pop to Shade.*

<Ranma> *Bitter! That isn't funny!*

<Bitter> *Sorry.*

Ranma bowed back towards Genma then stepped back and got into a fighting
stance. Suddenly, a section of the backyard fence exploded and a loud
voice yelled,

"SAOTOME! I HAVE SEEN HELL BECAUSE OF YOU! PREPARE TO DIE!"

Ranma quickly turned towards the attacker, his muscles primed and ready.

<Ranma> *How the hell did this guy get past the Watcher?!*

<Guardian> *I... don't know!*

The young man that was running towards Ranma wore a yellow bandana with
brown spots. It served its purpose in keeping his long brown hair out
of his eyes. As he got closer, Ranma noticed that the boy had fangs.

<Play> *Oh he's-*

<Bitter> *Cute, right?*

Ranma waited for the strangers attack, but it never came. Instead, the
man ran straight past Ranma and starting pounding on Genma.

"That's the last time I go on a training trip with you!" he yelled.

Ranma just looked at the fighting pair.

<Bitter> *This situation gets stranger and stranger every day...*

End part 7

NEXT TIME:

Ryoga Hibiki: Student of the Anythings School of Martial Arts

and...

"What IS this?"

"It's a cute little dolly."