[Ranma][FanFic] Daigakusei no Ukyou: As You Like It - Episode 08

Saotome Ranma

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

I've been searching to find
What makes me try again
But I don't see the connection
Between love and a man

I'm looking for a missing person
One that I used to know
There was one of two
That was me and you
But now there's a new place to go

Help me find my way
Please God don't let me go
'Cause I'm still looking
Looking for that missing person I oughta know

| Daigakusei no Ukyou: As You Like It |
| |
| Created by David Tai, Paul Gallegos, |
| John Walter Biles and Jeff Hosmer |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |

-= Episode 8: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being Ukyou" =-

[Saturday night. Makiko, Ukyou, and Megami are accompanied by Lardizabal and
Mousse to a dinner theater near the new Nekohanten. The waiter at the door
greets the party and politely seats them at a table about six rows away from
the stage.]

Ukyou: This is so exciting! I've never been to a dinner theater before!

Mousse: [squinting] I wish they could've seated us closer.

Ukyou: [giggles] Mousse, put your glasses back on.

Megami: [reading menu] Mom? Can I order anything I want?

Makiko: Yes, Megami-chan. Uncle Lardizabal here is paying for you.

Lardizabal: ...

Ukyou: Which reminds me, thank you, Tanaka-san, for pointing this place out.
How'd you know about it?

Lardizabal: [sheepish grin] Well, actually, Mousse would know more...

Mousse: [grins] The owner came to us and asked if he could advertise at the
Nekohanten. Shampoo said yes in exchange for ten free tickets to any
of their shows for the remainder of the year.

Ukyou: [to Lardizabal] Ah, big spender!

Lardizabal: Well, seeing as the tickets were free, and that Mousse-san was
kind enough to let us use them, AND since dinner was included
with the tickets, I figured I could afford to pay for everyone's
drinks instead.

Makiko: [smiles] Ok, but don't forget, you're MY date.

[Both Ukyou and Mousse smile somewhat uncomfortably at the implication.]

Ukyou: [looking around] This place is pretty packed. Good thing we had
reserved seats!

Mousse: [looking around as well] I wonder where our waitress is?

[A waitress comes up to take their orders. She wears a medium-length skirt
and a v-neck blouse with a small green apron. Makiko takes careful note of
where Lardizabal's eyes wander.]

Waitress: May I take your orders?

Mousse: I'm from the Nekohanten down the street. Our party was supposed to
have two bottles of sake warmed and waiting for us when we arrived.

Waitress: Hai! They are warming in the back. Should I get them for you now?

Mousse: [to Ukyou] Uh... Kuonji-san?

Ukyou: [to Mousse] Um... sure.

Waitress: All right. Two bottles of sake and five cups. I will take your
food orders when I return.

Ukyou: Um, make that four cups. [points to Megami] She's not old enough yet.

Megami: Mom!

Waitress: Hai! Understood. I'll bring her a soda.

Ukyou: [to waitress] Thank you. [to Megami] Sorry, sweetie, but you know what
alcohol does to you.

Megami: [pouts] Fine.

[The lights dim as the waitress arrives with the sake. She takes their
orders in the dim light as several actors and actresses take the stage.]

Makiko: By the way, what's the name of this play anyway?

Lardizabal: It's called "Astroturf", about a baseball player who has
supernatural powers. It's supposed to be a farce.

Ukyou: Well, I haven't been to a play on a long time, so I'm going to enjoy
this.

Makiko: Speaking of which, when are they going to be done rebuilding the
university theater?

Ukyou: Only Kuno knows, and he ain't telling.

[The waitress returns with Megami's soda. She departs as the first act begins,
and the group finds themselves enthralled by the very witty script and the
entertaining actors. After the second act, during intermission, the waitress
arrives with everyone's food orders. Makiko breezes through her food, then
sits back in her chair, sipping sake as everyone else finishes up. The lights
then dim to signal the beginning of the third and final act. At the end of the
play, the actors once again come on stage to perform various vaudeville acts.
The audience roars in approval and laughter as the actors and actresses dress
up in clown costumes, perform outrageous acts, and participate in general
tomfoolery.]

Makiko: [bubbly] Did you see the way Kenjiro ran off the stage? Hilarious!

Lardizabal: Uh, how much have you had so far, Maki-chan?

Makiko: Oh, I don't know. Four or five maybe. Why?

Lardizabal: No reason. I just didn't want to have to pour you home.

Makiko: Well, I'm well under my limit so far. Four or five bottles is NOTHING.

Lardizabal: [sweat drop] ...

* * *

[After the last performance is completed and everyone has left, Ukyou and
Mousse walk back to the Nekohanten with Megami. Makiko is draped over
Lardizabal's back, asleep and snoring loudly.]

Lardizabal: [to Ukyou] You were supposed to be watching her!

Ukyou: I thought you were.

Megami: Wow, Auntie Maki is pretty toasted, ne Mom?

Ukyou: Now Megami-chan, I wouldn't say that.

Mousse: I would. [chuckles] She even snores like someone else I know.

Ukyou: [raises an eyebrow] And who would THAT be?

Mousse: [grins] Her boyfriend.

Lardizabal: Oi!

[As if on cue, several guys step out of the shadows between a couple of
buildings.]

Guy 1: Hey girls, how's about dropping those bozos and hook up with us?

Megami: Mom?

Ukyou: [low voice] Just keep walking, Megami-chan.

Lardizabal: Leave 'em alone.

Guy 2: Hey look, he's even carrying one for us.

Mousse: [adjusts glasses] That's enough. Leave now or else get hurt.

Guy 3: Oh? Who's gonna do it? You?

Mousse: Yeah.

[The two square off, but the guy is quickly wrapped in chains from within
Mousse's sleeves before he can do anything.]

Guy 2: [to the others] That's it! Get 'im!

[Four more men jump out to attack Mousse. Lardizabal slowly kneels down
next to the building to let Makiko slide off of him while Ukyou takes a step
forward and grabs a nearby garbage can lid. She neatly throws the lid like a
frisbee and nails one of the men in the face. One guy rushes at Megami,
intending to grab her.]

Megami: [screams] EEEE!

[She automatically raises both her hands quickly to defend herself and the
man freezes in mid-air.]

Megami: [blinks] How'd that happen?

[Meanwhile, Mousse has swung the hapless man into his comrades and released
him, causing the trio to collapse in a heap. One gets up quickly and makes a
grab for Ukyou. It was his last conscious effort of the evening.]

Ukyou: [throwing man face-first into the wall] Don't even think about it.

[Megami walks in a small circle around the man still frozen in mid-air. She
is confused by this strange occurence, but then a mischievous grin forms on
her face. Seeing that the others are all busy fighting, she quickly grabs a
trash can and throws it over the man's head. As soon as it touches him, he
starts to move again, yelling in confusion... at least until he slams into
the nearest building, headfirst. Megami giggles as he falls to the ground,
the trash can now quite firmly wedged in place by the collision.]

Megami: [happily] Score!

Guy 2: [grabbing Megami] Gotcha, you little...

Lardizabal: Night-night for you.

[The man turns in time to see Lardizabal's fist connect with his jaw. He
collapses instantly, whimpering in pain.]

Lardizabal: Are you ok, Megami-chan?

Megami: [nods] Yup.

[The others, seeing four of their friends felled by the party, decides to
make a run for it down an alleyway. One of the group decides to break open a
door, and the entire group disappears inside the building. Moments later, two
of them emerge, running back down the alleyway toward the party as if they'd
seen a ghost. The third man follows them, his clothing shredded. Shampoo
emerges from the building carrying a broken mop handle and wrapped in a towel.
Lardizabal's jaw drops.]

Mousse: [chuckles] Shampoo! Are you all right?

Shampoo: Boys disturb Shampoo's bath! [seeing Ukyou] Oh, it spatula girl. No
wonder boys run away..

[Ukyou and Shampoo glare at each other for a moment.]

Megami: Uh... [eyes mop handle] you know her, Mom?

Shampoo and Ukyou: [thinking] Unfortunately.

Ukyou: [aloud] She owns the Nekohanten, where Mousse works.

Shampoo: Everyone ok? [not waiting for answer] Shampoo go back to bath.

[Shampoo goes back down the alley, but not before bending over to pick up the
guy Ukyou had knocked out earlier. Lardizabal's nose begins to bleed as
Shampoo deposits the thug in the trash bin.]

Shampoo: [from inside] Mousse! Get inside and clean up mess!

Mousse: Uh... if it's ok with you, Kuonji-san, I think I'd better go as well.

Ukyou: [sighs] Sure, Mousse. Thanks for a great time tonight. [squeezes
Mousse's hand] Maybe we can do it again...?

Mousse: I'd like that.

Ukyou: [smiles shyly] Call me.

Shampoo: [from inside] MOUSSE!

[Ukyou watches Mousse go inside the Nekohanten. Lardizabal quickly wipes his
nose.]

Lardizabal: [sniffle] Nothing like a good fight to end an evening.

Ukyou: Wha-? We didn't... oh, right. [smiles]

Megami: Mom, I'm tired. It's almost one in the morning. Can we go home now?

Ukyou: Sure, Megami-chan. We need to tuck your Auntie Maki into bed anyway...
unless your Uncle Lardizabal wants to do it. [sly grin]

Lardizabal: [sweat drop] ...

* * *

[The next day. Makiko stumbles out into the kitchen, where Megami is happily
cleaning the morning's breakfast dishes.]

Makiko: [grabs coffee cup from shelf] Coffee. Me. Now.

Megami: Hmm? Oh, good morning, Auntie!

Makiko: [winces] Can you keep it down? I've got a killer headache here.

Megami: [bubbly] Why?

Makiko: From last night. [stops] Why are you so happy?

Megami: Mom's taking me shopping today!

Makiko: [blinks] Without me?

Megami: We tried to wake you, but you didn't want to get up. It's 9 o'clock
already.

Makiko: WHAT? [winces] Ow. [hand to head] Ow ow ow ow.

Megami: If you want to go, you can meet us for lunch in the shopping district
north of Mizunoikan.

Makiko: [opens cupboard, searching] Well, as soon as I find the aspirin...

Ukyou: [walking in] It's on the table by your desk. I thought you might need
it after last night.

Makiko: [tonelessly] Ha ha.

[Makiko goes back to her bedroom. Megami and Ukyou wait until she leaves
before dissolving into a fit of giggling.]

* * *

[As Megami and Ukyou cruise the shopping district, Ukyou notices that Megami
is drawing the attention of many male passerbys. Ukyou glares at each male
that stares too long at Megami, causing them to wilt and look away
immediately. Eventually only women dare to look at the two, prompting Ukyou
to slightly relax her guard. A woman walks past the two women as they stop to
look in a store window.]

Lady: [loudly] Good for you!

Ukyou: [whirls around] What?

Lady: I said, good for you two! I'm glad you can be open about how you feel
toward each other!

Megami: [blinks] Well, I didn't know it was that obvious...

Ukyou: [low voice] Megami-chan... I don't think that's what she means...

Lady: [to Megami] You two should come down to Ladies Night Out on Fujisawa
street sometime.

Megami: [confused] I... I don't know.

Lady: [to Ukyou] Well, good for you anyway. I completely support you both.
[walks off]

Ukyou: [blushes deep red] How embarrassing.

Megami: Mom? What was THAT about?

Ukyou: [grimaces] Honey, let's just say that that lady was a little...
mistaken, ok?

Megami: [smiles brightly] Hai! She sure was! She probably thought we were
sisters!

Ukyou: S- sure... that's it.

[The two end up at a corner ice cream parlor, order, and sit down inside.
About twenty minutes later a group of young men walks past, obviously
searching for the two women. They spot them inside the parlor and immediately
begin looking around through other store displays as if they were window
shopping.]

Megami: They're back.

Ukyou: Hmm. I'll just have to go outside and "talk" to them.

[Megami notices, though, that Ukyou removes her denim jacket first before
walking outside.]

Megami: [quietly] Go Mom!

[One young man, though, slips inside behind Ukyou and sits down across from
Megami.]

Young Man: Hi.

Megami: [shyly] Hi.

Young Man: What's your name?

Megami: What's yours?

Young Man: Hara Teruyuki. [smiles] Now tell me yours.

Megami: Kuonji Megami.

Teruyuki: Megami, eh? That's a beautiful name.

Megami: [blushes slightly] Thank you. [pauses] Are you from around here?

Teruyuki: You could say that. [stands up] Would you like to go drink tea
with me?

[Megami stands up and grabs Ukyou's denim jacket.]

Megami: Uh... well... you see...

[Teruyuki moves to stand in front of Megami. While only 10cm taller than her,
his presence causes Megami to stand still, like a deer caught in a car's
headlights. Megami daintily steps around him and doesn't meet his eyes.]

Megami: I ... have to go.

[Teruyuki remains in the parlor, watching, as Megami all but runs outside to
meet up with Ukyou.]

Ukyou: [seeing Megami] What's wrong?

Megami: Uh.. I was getting a little cold in there, so I thought I'd join you.
[looking around] Where'd all the boys go?

Ukyou: [smirks] They had other things to do. [puts an arm around Megami]
C'mon, let's go find some clothes!

[The two women continue down the street as Teruyuki emerges from the parlor.
He walks hastily across the street and enters the nearby alleyway.]

* * *

Ukyou: ... so one of them ended up asking me out. Of course, I said no, seeing
that Mou-- I mean, they were MUCH too immature for me.

Megami: Are you and Mousse gonna get married like Akane and Uncle Ranchan?

Ukyou: [sweat drop] Uh... It's a little early to be thinking that far ahead,
don't you think, Megami-chan?

Megami: Oh, no! Not at all! [beaming] I think it'd be great!

Ukyou: [changing subject abruptly] Oh, look! They have tiny crystal figurines
here! How cute!

Megami: Sugoi!

[The two enter the shop. Five minutes later, they both emerge, white as
ghosts.]

Ukyou: Expensive!

Megami: Uh-huh!

[They continue down the street where they almost run directly into Mousse,
who seems to be examining several pieces of glassware in one vendor's stall.]

Megami: Mousse-san!

Mousse: [looking up] Megami-chan! Kuonji-san! What brings you here?

Ukyou: Shopping. What else?

Megami: We just came from that little crystal shop down the street. Boy those
things are expensive!

Mousse: [nods] So I saw. I decided to stop here, though, to try and find
suitable jars for keeping certain ... ingredients in.

Megami: Ingredients?

Mousse: [quickly] For the Nekohanten, Megami-chan. We make our own rice wine,
and so we need to be able to ferment the rice... among other things.

Ukyou: [sternly] Alcohol is not her strong point, Mousse.

Megami: Hmph! [to Mousse] Are you and Mom going to go out again tonight?

Ukyou: [blinks] Megami-chan!

[Mousse turns a light shade of red.]

Mousse: [to Megami] I- I'm afraid not tonight, Megami-chan. I have to work.
[quickly] However, if you both want to stop by this evening, I will
treat you to dinner.

Megami: Ooh, Mom! Can we?

Ukyou: [sighs] Ok, ok. [to Mousse] You sure we're not going to get you in
trouble?

Mousse: Shampoo has been too busy lately running the Nekohanten and making
improvements. Apparently the Nekohanten is a popular place now - if
we can sustain this for another couple of months, it will be
financially secure.

Ukyou: Wow. I guess those business deals with Nabiki panned out after all.
And to think, you two were on the edge of bankruptcy just a few months
ago.

Mousse: So it would seem. Collegiate people tend to be fickle with their
places of entertainment... [trails off] Anyway, I must get back soon.
[pauses] If you are looking for some nice summer blouses and shorts,
there is a little shop hidden around the corner here that has some
nice clothing for a steal.

Ukyou: You know just how to brighten my day, don't you?

[Ukyou pats Mousse on the arm, then notices where her hand is and removes it
quickly, blushing furiously. Mousse has done the same.]

Ukyou: [stammering] S- See you tonight!

Megami: [waves] Bye-bye!

[The three go their separate ways. However, Mousse notices that a young man
has been watching the entire conversation. As soon as Mousse moves toward
him, the young man walks off in a direction opposite the one Ukyou and Megami
departed.]

Mousse: [to himself] Hmm.

* * *

[The girls emerge about an hour later from the store Mousse had directed them
to, several bags of clothing in hand.]

Ukyou: [happily] Score!

Megami: I get to borrow your green outfit tonight!

Ukyou: No way, it's mine!

Megami: Fine, be that way. See if I let you borrow my leather jacket!

[Teruyuki Hara appears from next to a vendor's cart.]

Teruyuki: Hi!

Megami: [surprised] Hara-san! Uh... hello.

[Ukyou moves to stand next to Megami in a somewhat protective manner. Teruyuki
notices this.]

Teruyuki: [bowing] It's a pleasure to see you again so soon! [looking at
Ukyou] And who is your lovely friend? A girlfriend perhaps?

Megami: [blinks] Girlfriend?

Ukyou: [irritated] I'm not her girlfriend. [looks at Megami] Have you two met
before?

Megami: [looks at her feet] Hai.. at the ice cream parlor...

Ukyou: [coldly] Really?

Teruyuki: [smiles] Well, I do not mean to interrupt, but I was hoping to ask
your friend here to go to dinner with me this evening.

[Ukyou gives Teruyuki a VERY icy stare. He begins to sweat.]

Megami: I'm... not sure.

Ukyou: [low voice] I don't think that Megami's your type.

Teruyuki: [ignoring Ukyou] What do you say, Megami-san?

Megami: I'd rather not. Thank you, though.

[The two walk away. Teruyuki glares at Ukyou as they leave, then stalks off.]

* * *

[That night, Ukyou, Makiko, and Megami walk down the street toward the
Nekohanten.]

Makiko: [pointing to Megami] So Ukyou, you mean that the lady thought that you
and her...?

Ukyou: [flushing red] Could you say it a little louder? I don't think the
people in Nagasaki could hear you.

Makiko: [giggling] Well, even though I missed this afternoon, I'm glad you let
me tag along tonight. Why Tanaka-san decided to study _tonight_ is
beyond me.

Ukyou: Maybe he wants to pass his classes this semester?

Makiko: [grins] But it's Sunday night! Everyone knows that no useful studying
gets done until _after_ midnight.

Megami: Does that include those games of Mortal Wombat II, Auntie Maki?

Makiko: [turns red] Wha... Bu... You...

Ukyou: Anyway, I don't think Mousse will mind you coming along, but I suggest
that the two of you find a movie or something to go to after dinner.
[pauses] Just in case. [winks]

Makiko: No problem! I hear there's a new Jackie Chan move that opened last
Friday anyway.

[They arrive at the Nekohanten. A *long* line of people wraps around the
building, and the trio go straight to the door, ignoring the catcalls and
angry looks from the people waiting in line. They walk inside with a nod to
the bouncers at the door, who let them in almost immediately - Makiko blows
one a kiss - and head for the bar where Mousse is busy serving drinks to
customers via his hidden chains.]

Mousse: Kuonji-san! Kawamura-san! Megami-chan! Glad you could all make it!

Megami: Mousse-san! Hi! [rushes up to bar] Before Mom says anything, could I
get some sake or something?

Mousse: [grinning] We'll see. [to the others] Take a seat anywhere you'd like.
Someone will be with you in a bit.

Ukyou: [raising eyebrow] Someone? Where's Shampoo?

[In response, Mousse simply points to the kitchen and serves a bottle of
beer into the nearby plant by accident.]

Ukyou: When did you get the money to hire people?

Mousse: Some investors from Nerima helped, plus the movie deal with Tendo
Nabiki also had a lot to do with it. More I cannot say.

Ukyou: [smiles] I understand perfectly.

[The trio decide to sit at one of the nearby bar tables. Almost at the same
time, two waitresses appear at the table.]

Waitress #1: Hi! Are you ready to order?

Waitress #2: Perhaps you'd like menus first? [sneers at Waitress #1]

Makiko: Actually...

Waitress #1: [to Waitress #2] Beat it, I was here first!

Waitress #2: [to Waitress #1] Take a hike! This is my section!

Ukyou: A- Anou...

Waitress #1: [to Waitress #2] You've been trying to take my customers all
night!

Waitress #2: [sticking out tongue] Can't help it if they sit in my sections!

Megami: [taking advantage of confusion] I think I'll have a bottle of sake...
warmed, please.

Ukyou: Megami-chan!

Both waitresses: Hai! Coming right up!

Ukyou: No wait! She didn't... [trails off as waitresses disappear] Megami!
Why'd you do that!

Megami: [matter-of-factly] I wanted to see what would happen.

Makiko: [giggling] Well, now you know. [to Ukyou] Besides, I was going to
order one myself, so I'll just take this one.

Ukyou: [sighs] Whatever.

[The two waitresses reappear with two bottles of sake, each sitting inside a
pan of hot water. They collide, spilling the bottles onto Megami's new outfit.
She squeals as the warm liquid soaks through her clothing. Ukyou glares at
both waitresses as they manage to disappear just as quickly as they appeared.
Ukyou turns her attention back to Megami, who is on the verge of tears.]

Megami: [sniffles] My new dress...

Ukyou: [calls out] Mousse! Club soda please! Quickly!

Mousse: [from bar] Hai!

[A bottle of club soda arrives at the table exactly three seconds later via a
long black chain. Ukyou plucks it out of the air and the chain retracts back
into Mousse's sleeve. She hands the bottle and a small handkerchief to
Megami.]

Ukyou: [to Megami] Take this and dab it on your clothes in the bathroom. Wait
for it to dry. It should get rid of any stains. Go on!

[Megami scurries off to the bathroom, items in hand. A lone figure from a
corner of the room also makes his way to the bathrooms as well as Ukyou
turns back to Makiko.]

Ukyou: Stupid waitresses. Remind me to mention what happened to Mousse.

Makiko: OOh! Gonna get them both fired?

Ukyou: Wouldn't you?

Makiko: Yeah, but I want to see you do it. [grins]

Ukyou: [sighs] Right.

* * *

[A half hour later, Megami emerges from the bathroom, somewhat damp, but
obviously in a better mood. As she turns the corner from the small hallway
to the main room, Teruyuki steps in her path.]

Teruyuki: So once again we meet. How fortunate.

Megami: [exasperated] Maybe for you.

Teruyuki: How about we leave this place and go somewhere a little more quiet?

Megami: [sighs] No. No no no no. Which part didn't you understand?

Teruyuki: You're not serious.

Megami: Really? Well, think about it as I _leave_.

[She elbows her way past him, but he grabs her in an attempt to kiss her.
She freezes as she involuntarily turns intangible. Teruyuki passes through
her and hits the wall. Megami stares in horror as he slowly turns around and
glares at her.]

Teruyuki: [angrily] I don't know how...

[Megami turns to go, but Teruyuki's grip on her jacket won't let her.]

Megami: [loudly] LET ME GO!

Teruyuki: Shut up, wench!

Megami: [taken aback] What did you say?

[A guy walking to the bathroom taps Teruyuki on the shoulder and addresses
Megami.]

Guy: Is there a problem? Is he hurting you?

Teruyuki: [quickly] Leave us alone, jerk. Just a lover's quarrel, that's all.

[Teruyuki swings Megami around so her back is against the wall in the small
hallway.]

Teruyuki: Now, as I was saying, you little tease, you're going to come with
me outside... you KNOW you want it.

[Megami pushes him away, but Teruyuki forces her to stay against the wall.
She slaps him. He puts a hand to his cheek to feel it, then raises his hand to
punch Megami. She squeals and throws her hands up in front of her... and
everyone in the room freezes, except Ukyou.]

Ukyou: [surprised] Wha-? [loudly] Megami? Are you alright?

Megami: [from corner] Mom? Is that you?

[Ukyou runs over to the small hallway. She sees Teruyuki's pose, and her face
flushes an angry red.]

Ukyou: What'd he do to you?!

Megami: N- Nothing... he wanted .. to... to...

[Ukyou reaches out for Megami, but her hand also passes right through her.]

Ukyou: [shocked] Megami...

[Megami looks at Ukyou, then bursts out crying and runs past all the frozen
people and out of the building. Seconds later, everyone unfreezes and normal
time resumes. Teruyuki's fist slams into the wall where Megami once stood.]

Teruyuki: [enraged] AAAA!!! WHERE'D YOU GO YOU LITTLE... oh.

[He has turned to see a *very* angry Ukyou standing behind him.]

Ukyou: You again.

Teruyuki: [growls] Where'd she go?

Ukyou: None of your business.

Teruyuki: [sneer] Right, *mom*. Get out of my way.

[He tries to push past Ukyou, who stands her ground firmly. Frustrated, he
takes a swing at Ukyou, who ducks and grabs his arm as it sails past. Twisting
it around behind him, she slams him up against the wall. By now, several
people have gathered around to see the "girl beat up the boy". A bouncer has
also walked over to see the cause of the commotion.]

Bouncer: [to Ukyou] Is there a problem?

Teruyuki: [strangled voice] Yeah. This crazy bitch [Ukyou leans on his arm
more] Ow! I didn't do nothing! She just came up to me!

Ukyou: [hisses] Liar! What'd you do to her?

[Makiko, Mousse and Shampoo come running up.]

Shampoo: [upon seeing Ukyou] Oh, it spatula girl again.

Mousse: What's going on?

Bouncer: It seems that this guy was making trouble.

Makiko: Wait! Where's Megami?

Ukyou: She ran off. I don't know where. This jerk, though, was trying to do
something to her before I caught him.

Teruyuki: That's a lie!

Mousse: [adjusting his glasses] I've seen you before somewhere...

Bouncer: I think I should just toss him out.

Mousse: No, wait, I remember where I've seen him before. [to Teruyuki] You
were stalking Megami-chan earlier.

[Teruyuki pales as he realizes he's been identified.]

Teruyuki: Ok, I've been following her. No big deal. I haven't done anything
to her!

Ukyou: [interrupting] Because I stopped you.

[Teruyuki glares at Ukyou. He is about to take a step forward when Shampoo
produces a long handled serrated knife from her belt. In two swift strokes,
his shirt sleeves lay at his feet. She then points the blade at his nose.]

Shampoo: [peering at him] You leave. Never come back. Yes?

Teruyuki: [haughtily] I wouldn't come back to this *dump* if I was paid.
Especially one run by a two-bit ugly geisha like you.

[Shampoo gives him an icy glare.]

Shampoo: [to Mousse] Great-grandmother need test subjects for new spell. He
just volunteered.

[The bouncer, Ukyou, and Mousse all look at Shampoo as if she's just signed
Teruyuki's death warrant.]

Teruyuki: What the hell are you talking about?

Bouncer: Looks like you're coming with me. You're about to make a one-way trip
to China.

Teruyuki: [angrily] I'm not going anywhere!

Bouncer: [shrugs] I don't remember the boss saying you had a choice.

[In one motion, the bouncer picks Teruyuki cleanly up off the ground, carrying
him high above everyone else's heads. The people on the dance floor and at the
bar start to chant "Throw him out!" Another bouncer opens the door to a small
room off to the side, and the two usher Teruyuki in.]

Shampoo: [to Ukyou and Makiko] He be "taken care of" now. Go find girl.

[Ukyou and Makiko nod thanks and quickly dash off. Mousse watches them go.]

Mousse: [whispers] Good luck.

* * *

[After a frantic search by both Ukyou and Makiko, the two return to their
apartment. Ukyou enters the bedroom to see Megami sitting on the bed,
dejectedly looking out the window with her chin in her hands.]

Ukyou: Are you all right? We've been looking for you all night!

Megami: [not turning around] Yeah.

[Ukyou sits next to Megami and tentatively puts an arm around her. She looks
relieved when she find she can touch Megami.]

Ukyou: [softly] I saw what happened.

Megami: [shrugging Ukyou's arm off] You don't understand. Look at me!

[Megami makes a frantic motion toward the window. A bird that had been sailing
by is frozen in mid-flight and remains motionless, hanging in the air.]

Megami: [holding up glowing hand] What am I doing here? What god put me here?
Was he playing some kind of mean trick?

Ukyou: [sighs] I don't know, honey. I wish I did... [under her breath] It
sure would explain a lot.

Megami: I'm not like you or Auntie Maki, but... I want to be.

Ukyou: But Megami, you're more than _just_ human... you're something special.

Megami: [harshly] Special? What is that supposed to mean? That I don't fit in
here?!

[A curious cat has climbed the nearby tree and is watching the bird with
interest. It seems about ready to pounce, which Megami notices when she again
looks out the window. She makes another waving motion just as the cat leaps.
The bird continues on its way as if nothing happened, while the cat collides
with the side of the building.]

Ukyou: [low voice] That's not what I meant...

Megami: [upset] I don't belong here! I'm too different!

Ukyou: Of course you do! You're a beautiful girl!

Megami: [turns to face Ukyou] But... no matter how much I want to, I don't!

Ukyou: Why not? [sighs] I know it's hard to be a young girl, but...

Megami: [tosses pillow aside] Because I'm a Moon-Child... and I have to go
back!

Ukyou: What? Back where?

Megami: [looks glumly at Ukyou] Back... back... with the rest of the gods.
[pauses to glance outside window] And I don't want to go!

* * *

[Makiko, in the living room, is reading a book on the couch when Ukyou runs
out of the bedroom dressed in battle gear and grabs her giant spatula hanging
on the wall. Makiko stares in wonder.]

Makiko: What...?

Ukyou: [putting on shoes] Stay here and watch Megami. I'll be back as fast as
I can.

Makiko: Eh...? Wha-?

Ukyou: Megami's people are coming to take her back. Don't let anyone get her.
[runs out the front door]

[Makiko blinks, and stares at Megami, who has just walked out of the bedroom
door.]

Makiko: [strange expression on her face] I'm supposed to stop a bunch of
*GODS* who could probably atomize me with their little fingers?

[Megami walks to Makiko and hugs her tightly without saying anything. Makiko
slowly returns the hug.]

* * *

[Sato is sitting in front of an easel, painting a scene of Mount Fuji. Just as
he is putting the finishing touches on the smoke ascending from the top of
the mountain, he pauses, listens, then shrugs and starts to apply his brush to
the painting... when Ukyou kicks open the door. Startled, Sato jerks the
paintbrush across the painting. He quickly drops the brush and stands up just
as Ukyou storms over to him.]

Ukyou: You JERK!!! Why didn't you tell me the whole story?

Sato: [calmly] Would you mind informing me as to the subject of this
conversation?

Ukyou: "MEGAMI IS GOING TO BE TAKEN AWAY!" How's that for a subject? Or maybe
it should be "HOW SATO ESCAPES WITH HIS LIFE"?

Sato: [defensively] Well, I wasn't sure how to approach the... I mean, I never
had the chance to... [pauses] Hey, didn't you ever look up the story of
the moon child in the library anyway?

Ukyou: That's not the point! Am I supposed to just stand by and let her be
taken away from me?! To be abandoned?

Sato: Now wait a minute...

Ukyou: Dammit! [*SLAP*!] Are you going to help me?

Sato: [holding his cheek] But Kuonji-san, what if this is all a part of the
Guardian's final test for y-?

Ukyou: Damn it all to hell! Megami's about to be taken away, and all you can
blather about is the stupid test! Test! Test! I'm not going to stand
by and let her go! Some big help you are! [*SLAP*!]

[Ukyou storms out of Sato's room.]

Sato: [holding his other cheek and sighing] Why didn't I stay in Osaka?

[He turns to contemplate the large gray slash painted across Mount Fuji.]

* * *

[Pounding on the door to Room 4.]

Ranma's voice: All right, all right, I'm coming!

[Ranma opens the door. He is dressed in a yellow t-shirt with the sleeves
ripped off and a pair of faded denim shorts. He is also obviously surprised
to see Ukyou at this hour.]

Ranma: What's the... Ucchan?

Ukyou: [visibly upset] Can you help me?

Ranma: [automatically] Sure. What's wrong, Ucchan?

Ukyou: I need your help. Where's Akane?

Ranma: Kasumi caught a cold or something, so Akane's spending the night there.
What's going on...?

Ukyou: Megami...

[Suddenly the entire room begins to glow with a soft white light. Ranma and
Ukyou both look at each other as the light grows brighter and brighter until
nothing can be seen.]

Ukyou's voice: What's happening?

[A voice answers, resonating with an unearthly tenor.]

Voice: We would ask you the same question.

Ranma's voice: Who said that?

[Another voice replies, in treble.]

2nd Voice: Why do you have the Moon Child?

Ukyou's voice: You can't have her!

Ranma's voice: Ucchan?! I'm right here! Hold on!

[A third voice replies in baritone.]

3rd Voice: You must return the Moon Child to us.

Ukyou's voice: No!

Ranma's voice: Megami? They want Megami?

Ukyou's voice: Why do you want her?

4th Voice: [bass] Yours is not to question, yours is only to obey.

Sato's voice: I have heard enough.

[The bright light fades to normal. Ranma and Ukyou stand in the middle of the
room, while Sato stands near the door with several warding charms in his
hand. On the other side of the room are six transparent forms, shimmering
slightly. As he enters the room, they move to encircle the trio.]

Tenor: You disturb us monk. Why?

Sato: [walks over to Ranma] My sincerest apologies, but I had feared for my
friends' safety.

Ranma: [whispering to Sato] How'd you know?

Sato: [whispering to Ranma] You didn't close the door all the way.

Ukyou: Who are you?

Bass: We are of the Circle of the Moon.

Baritone: We have come for the Moon Child, the one you call "Megami".

Ranma: She's not here. So get lost alread- [*WHAM*]

[Ukyou hits Ranma in the back of the head with her spatula. Ranma rubs his
head gingerly.]

Ukyou: Ran-chan, I'll handle this, thanks. [to Circle members] Why do you
want her?

Soprano: She is not one of you. She is, rather, one of us.

Treble: We of the Circle need her. And she needs us. Harmony will be
preserved.

Ukyou: Are you the cause of everything that's been happening to her lately?
Her fading away and glowing again is your doing?

Sato: Glowing? I thought Yutaga's enchantment...

Bass: [finishing sentence] ... has been removed.

Soprano: [to Sato] Yutaga's meddling will be dealt with. It was foolish to
think that her true nature could be hidden.

Sato: [sweat drop] ...

Treble: But now she will recognize her calling.

Ukyou: [defiantly] I won't let you take her.

Tenor: Foolish mortal... We are Six. You are One.

Ranma: [grimly] Make it two. [slips into fighting stance] I'm ready when you
are.

[He glances at Ukyou, who nods in return.]

Sato: Kuonji-san. [Ukyou turns] You must let her go... for her sake.

Alto: Are you that ready to end your singular existence, mortal?

Ranma: For Ucchan... [building up chi energy] you bet.

Choji: [angrily walking in] What the hell is going on? Don't you people
ever shut u... uh... [trails off]

[Choji is frozen by one of the deities and disappears.]

Sato: What'd you do to him?

Bass: He has been transported to his home. He is safe.

Sato: He lives next door!

Bass: ...

* * *

[Back at Makiko's and Ukyou's apartment, Megami is playing yet another game of
Mortal Wombat II when soft light begins to illuminate the room. She stops to
look around in wonder, even after her player is mercilessly killed by a large
mech-wombat wielding a blowtorch.]

Megami: [softly] Wow...

[The light dances and moves to a silent rhythm around her, leaving her empty
every time it passes through her skin. She slowly stands up and walks over to
the window again to look up at the sky.]

Megami: [softly] I hear you... I understand you...

Makiko: [entering room] Is it my turn ye- [horrified] Megami? What's happened
to you?

[Megami notices for the first time that her body has begun to shimmer and fade
away. She looks up at Makiko momentarily, and a look of pure abject terror
crosses her young face. Almost immediately, the light disappears and Megami
returns to her normal form.]

Megami: I... I don't know what's happening, Auntie Maki! Help me!

[Makiko walks over to her and hugs her tightly.]

Makiko: Let's get away from here. I can be packed in half an hour.

[Megami shakes her head no.]

Megami: It won't matter... They'll still find me, no matter where we go.

Makiko: Then what do we do? Wait until Ukyou gets back from wherever?

Megami: [whispers] Sato. [then more loudly] Mom... oh no....

Makiko: What is it? What about Ukyou?

Megami: [runs for the front door] We've got to get over to Ranma's apartment.

Makiko: But why?

Megami: [loudly] Because we have to stop Mom!

[Megami quickly runs out of the room. The front door can be heard opening and
slamming shut behind itself. Makiko takes one last look around, then quickly
shuts off the computer monitor and grabs a jacket laying on the floor. She too
exits the apartment, following after Megami.]

* * *

Ukyou: [to Circle members] If you truly wanted Megami, you could have taken
her by now.

Bass: Until all members are within the Circle, our power is diminished.

Treble: We cannot take her if you interfere.

Sato: [loudly] Wait! How can she interfere? She is just a mortal.

Baritone: You mean, monk, that she has not yet realized her own nascent
pow...

Tenor: [interrupting] Put simply, you must consent for Megami to return to
the Circle.

Ukyou: [angrily] Never!

Sato: Kuonji-san! There is no need for this! Let her go! For her sake!

[Ukyou looks back and forth between Ranma, getting ready to confront the
deities, and Sato.]

Sato: Let her go... Ukyou.

Ukyou: I won't! I can't let her become one of... them!

Sato: Ukyou, you must. She has a path to follow, and she must travel it alone
in some places.

Ukyou: But... I... I can't... [puts her face in her hands]

Megami's voice: STOP!

[All activities cease, as Megami appears in the doorway, somewhat winded.
The room fills with a soft glow. Ukyou walks slowly towards Megami.]

Ukyou: Megami-chan... [grasping Megami's shoulders] How did you get here?

Megami: I...

Tenor: [interrupting] We have brought her here.

Sato: I thought you said you couldn't force her...?

Baritone: She was already on her way here. We just hastened her progress.

Megami: I don't want to go with you!

Baritone: You must.

Ukyou: [resolve on her face] She doesn't have to. She chose to stay with me.
So go home.

Bass: You are wrong. The one you call "Megami" belongs with the Circle.

Sato: Why was Megami sent to Earth?

Baritone: The one you call "Megami" was lost to us during a chaotic time in
Heaven.

Treble: Her absence has led to thousands of years of chaos on this Earth.

Sato: Hold on... "Thousands of years of chaos?"

Tenor: Your timeline is but one in this universe.

Sato: That doesn't explain what you meant by "thousands of years".

Bass: She was lost during the time your historians would call "The Middle
Ages."

Baritone: Without her, the people of Earth have not evolved as quickly as
the Circle would have liked.

Treble: Humanity has been slow to realize this but also has made great
strides despite the loss of protection.

Ranma: "Protection"?

Alto: The Circle has been able to prevent many other's attempts to rise
in authority, but without the full Circle, several others, strong
in evil spiritual power, could not be stopped - like Napoleon,
Hitler, Stalin, and Gates.

Sato: But... without her, humanity has learned how to deal with these people
on its own. Others have risen to oppose those dictators and succeeded.

Treble: We conceed that without her, your kind has matured far greater
than the Circle could expect. But it is time now for the one you
call "Megami" to return to the Circle.

Bass: We have come to realize that perhaps we sheltered your race too
much early on.

Soprano: But there are others that we forsee, such as Barichello, that could
repeat the acts of his predecessors, given now that humanity has
harnessed its power of technocracy.

Ukyou: Wait, who is Barichello?

Tenor: It is a possible future. One that might occur without your "Megami"
returned to the Circle.

Ranma: You say "might", like it may not happen without her anyway.

Treble: There is that possibility.

Alto: However, we have also learned that while we must let humanity make
and learn from its mistakes, the rise of such powerful people must
not go unimpeded.

Baritone: Thus it is necessary that you consent for "Megami" to be returned
to the Circle.

Soprano: She is needed. A new age would dawn upon this realm.

Ukyou: We need her too! We love her.

Bass: Love is not a factor. She has a role to play, and she cannot
abandon it for love.

Tenor: You are mortal. The one you call "Megami" is not. She must go with
us.

Ukyou: She's not going!

[Ukyou pulls out her spatula. Ranma sees and readies himself. However, Megami
steps into the room in front of Ukyou.]

Megami: [in a tone of sudden understanding] Let me go.

Ukyou: What? [lowers spatula]

Megami: [low voice] I have to go.

Ukyou: B-b- but you'll lose yourself with them! Please, Megami... don't go!

Megami: [without joy] I have to.

Ukyou: [desperately] No! No, you don't have to! You don't! You...

Megami: Don't have to if I don't want to? [softly] Ukyou... Mom... if I
were like you, I wouldn't have to, and I wouldn't. I wouldn't, if I
had a choice. But I'm not like you. I don't _have_ a choice. I have
to... I have to go.

Ukyou: But that doesn't matter! [grabs Megami's shoulders] It doesn't matter!

Megami: I am of the Circle, and I must return to the heavens. [softly] They
need me.

Ukyou: I need you too. [resolutely] Take me with you.

Megami: I cannot. You do not belong.

Ukyou: But... then... where do I belong?

Megami: Here. [whispering] I'm sorry.

[Ukyou looks into Megami's face. Slowly, she drops her arms away from Megami,
turning away with tears in her eyes. Megami reaches out a glowing hand, and
Ukyou slowly turns back.]

Megami: Thank you for everything. Farewell... Mom. Please, tell Auntie Maki...
tell her I said goodbye.

[She hugs Ukyou. Ukyou holds her tightly.]

Ukyou: [tears in her eyes] I will. Goodbye... Megami. [releases Megami and
buries her face in her hands]

Megami: I love you... Mom.

[Megami releases Ukyou, turns, and joins the luminous figures. Megami's body
begins to glow brightly, then shimmer and fade, as she too becomes luminous.]

Bass: Kuonji Ukyou... Thank you.

Tenor: You are one of four that walks this realm. Use your power wisely.

Megami: [dulcet] We are Seven.

Other deities: [chorus] We are Seven.

Megami: Let the Circle fold.

Ukyou: [softly] I love you too, Megami.

[The bodies begin to blend together, but not before one body shines brightly
in farewell. The light in the room dies down as the deities slowly vanish from
sight. Ukyou starts sobbing. Ranma walks over and starts to put a comforting
hand on Ukyou's shoulder, but Ukyou drops her spatula and collapses to her
knees, crying. Ranma and Sato look at each other helplessly, then turn as
running footsteps can be heard on the stairs, accompanied by cries of
"Ucchan!"]

Ranma: In here!

[Makiko comes dashing in, skidding to a stop in front of Ranma and bending
over to catch her breath.]

Makiko: [panting] Megami...

Sato: She is gone.

Makiko: I know that! I was following her down the road, and she just
disappeared from... hey, how'd you know?

Ranma: We just saw her. Her people... [trails off]

Sato: [finishing Ranma's thoughts] Megami returned to her people.

Makiko: Oh... [holding hand to mouth] But what about...

[Makiko notices Ukyou behind Sato. Understanding flashes across her face
immediately, and she walks over to puts a hand on Ukyou's shoulder. Ukyou
does not respond.]

Makiko: Ucchan? I'm here...

[Ukyou looks up into Makiko's face, then breaks down crying, as Makiko reaches
out to hug Ukyou. She sits there, holding Ukyou as Ranma and Sato look at each
other.]

Ranma: What just happened here? Megami just... left.

Sato: [sighing] Megami had to go. Unlike us, Megami is a goddess, and she
cannot escape her destiny. Men may choose their fates, the gods cannot.
That is why life is the greatest test of all.

Ranma: So what do we get if we pass all the tests?

Sato: Who knows? Not I.

Ranma: [scratching head] What kinda answer is that?

Sato: The only one I have.

Makiko: [tears in her eyes] Will you guys just shut up?

Sato: I beg your pardon. Kuonji-san, if there's anything I can do...

[Ukyou does not answer.]

Makiko: I'll look after her. I don't think she needs "spiritual guidance"
right now.

Sato: I understand. [bowing] Good night.

[Sato leaves Ranma's room. Ranma watches in uncomfortable silence until Ukyou
stops crying. Then he reaches out to touch Ukyou on her shoulder.]

Ranma: Ucchan, you okay?

Ukyou: No. [pauses, then stands] I'd better go.

Ranma: Want me to walk you?

Ukyou: No.

Ranma: But...

Makiko: I'll be with her, Ranma.

Ranma: [unsure] Okay.

[Ukyou walks out without saying a word. Makiko follows her, waving goodbye as
she closes the door after her. Ranma stands there, looking at the spatula on
the floor for a long while.]

* * *

[In his apartment, Sato walks over to a large bookcase and pulls out several
volumes. He gently blows the dust off of them, bows his head in silent prayer,
then begins to look through them, searching intently for something. After a
long while, he stops at a drawing depicting a large turtle, a dragon, a beast
that looks like a cross between a stag and a horse, and a large red bird. Sato
smiles and closes the other volumes.]

* * *

[Ukyou and Makiko's bedroom.]

Makiko: Are you sure you're going to be okay?

[Ukyou nods. Makiko sits down next to her.]

Ukyou: I miss her, though.

Makiko: Yeah. Well... [hugs Ukyou] I miss her too. And Ucchan? I'm... sorry.
For not believing you about magic and everything. But...

Ukyou: [returning the hug] Thank you, Maki-chan. For everything.

Makiko: Hey... it's no problem. [after a long time] Ucchan? Can... you...
let... go? I... can't... breathe!

Ukyou: [letting go] Sorry. [smiles, then looks out the window]

[Makiko follows Ukyou's glance, and together, they both watch the sky turn
pink, as the sun rises outside their apartment.]

Makiko: [shakes her head] You know, given everything that's happened with
Megami-chan in the last month or two, I'm amazed she came out of it
all ok.

Ukyou: What's that supposed to mean?

Makiko: [smiles] Well, look it at this way - she grew up to be a pretty decent
Moon Child, don't you think? And you were able to keep her out of
trouble for most of it... just like any good parent would do.

[Ukyou does not respond, choosing instead to stare intently at the floor.]

Makiko: [sighs] Listen, I've got to go meet Tanaka-san. I'll see you in a
bit, ok?

[Ukyou gives a small wave absentmindedly as Makiko leaves the bedroom. She
stares out the window, following the sunrise over the horizon that bathes the
town in its golden light.]

Ukyou: [whispering to herself] You're still here, Megami-chan. [pauses] Here
in my heart.

[*CLICK* Ukyou turns off the lamp on the nightstand. As she does so, she looks
at the picture next to the lamp: a snapshot of her, Makiko, and a younger
Megami. Next to it is a small crystal figurine with a small note tied to its
base. She unties the note and reads it quietly to herself.]

Ukyou: "I hope this brings you a little happiness this evening. - Mousse"

[Setting the figurine and note back on her nightstand, she turns to look once
more at the clouds in the morning sky.]

finis.

I've seen wonders
As I move through time
More power and magic
Than I thought would be mine

Looking back at yesterdays
Things we used to know
A wasted chance and lonely days
Time moves on, people come and go

Is it my destiny
How am I to know?
Waiting for a miracle while
Searching my soul

A second chance
A dream come true
I'll learn to love again
When I stand by you

So I'm on my way
The journey's just begun
I'm gonna keep all the memories
But never forget the one

Written by David Tai, Paul Gallegos, Jeff Hosmer and John Walter Biles

Artwork by Alexandra Teixeira

Special Thanks to Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS) and of course
Rumiko Takahashi

Copyright (c) 1999 Digital Knight Communications.

"Ranma 1/2" and its characters are Copyright (c) 1999
Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation, and Rumiko Takahashi.