[Ranma][FanFic] The Bet - Featherbrite's Tale 3c

MetroAnime

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Featherbrite's Tale, the Bet. RAAC version
by Gregg Sharp based on Rumiko Takahashi's situations/char
other char TM other authors. "Operation Shacking Up" is
courtesy of the twisted imagination of Jared Ornstead
aka Skysaber. Thanks to all my prereaders.
Metro...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/greggsharp/index.html

3c: Another New Complication
Kuno put the tape into the machine and pressed
play. The Video Club had been putting together tapes of Akane
fighting the morning group with the result that Tatewaki Kuno
had bought a few of the tapes himself. They didn't gouge him
nearly to the extent that Nabiki did.

There was Akane and her usual fight sequence. There
was Kuno's own entrance, flawless as usual. If he postured a
little for the camera, well it was his right and privledge, was it
not? There was this...Saotome person...who had DARED
suggest that he was engaged to one of the Tendo daughters
and living under the same roof as Akane Tendo!

There had been rumors about Nabiki being the one
engaged to this Saotome Ranma, but Kuno well knew that
there was only one of the Tendo daughters worth courting.
That this base knave was getting closer to Akane Tendo
under false pretenses was even more intolerable.

Rather than let this travesty continue, the Blue
Thunder of Furinkan High attacked this interloper. Like smoke,
the target of his righteous wrath evaded the blows that should
have taught the cur the error of his ways.

Being worthy of his Samurai ancestry, Kuno would
not admit defeat. He knew his skill was supreme. His weapon,
the bokken, reflected the finest sword design ever produced
in the world- the katana. Since it was impossible for him to be
defeated by other means, Saotome MUST have used the
black arts.

Or so ran his thoughts usually.

Kuno continued to watch as the tape cut to the next
series of images, taken from this very morning's events. The
crowds ready to pounce upon the fair Akane Tendo in what had
become a ritual combat. He watched Nabiki arrive in the arms of
the pigtailed sprite, as she shot down from the sky in time to do
her usual mercenary work.

Kuno continued to watch, though he didn't want to
see this. The Video Club member was quite skilled, Kuno
noted. The video had tightened on the winged girl, showing the
flames and other details that Kuno had dreaded seeing. He saw
himself throw the chain, the flames erupting where it touched
the skin.

There had been many that morning who had been quite
ill from just the sight and smell of the burns.

Today something monumental had occurred. He
had made a mistake. The old folk tales of putting horseshoes
and nails over windows and doorways to keep the faerie folk
away DID have a basis in fact, as he had thought. Instead of
containment, though, the use of cold iron had produced a
rather different result.

The old stories and myths were often contradictory,
and it appeared that some of those were rather more accurate
than others. Cold iron was a poison to the faerie folk, but did
not instantly slay them as SOME accounts had held.

In trying to capture the beautiful young winged
maid, he had quite possibly destroyed her. He had not seen
the girl since then. Nor was anyone willing to talk to him on
the subject. Even Nabiki, who would normally sell information
on ANYTHING given enough yen, was quiet.

This brought Tatewaki Kuno, the Blue Thunder of
Furinkan High School, the rising star of the Kendo world, to
an entirely unfamiliar activity.

He was thinking. More, he was considering that if,
indeed, he had made one such grievous error...

Might he not have made others? And, if this all but
unthinkable event WERE true, was it not the duty of a samurai
to correct those errors? To right any injustices that he may have
(however unlikely) committed?

Which would make him even more perfect, of course,
but that was a burden he could well shoulder.
-------Somewhere under Tokyo-----------------
Tanaka nodded as the two were ushered
into his office. He appeared to be studying a computer
monitor, but was reviewing what he knew of the two
guests.

Jazz, former American pro-wrestler, sax
player, and current Special Operations for Interpol's
"Section Z" dealing with things "the public wasn't
ready for yet." That he looked like some Mongolian
nomad and dressed like a biker wasn't nearly as
impressive as the gun he had thoughtfully left with
Tanaka's secretary Fujiko.

Not that anyone working for Tanaka was
stupid enough to try moving it. That would be a
Bad Thing. Even Fujiko (Tanaka knew that this was
Fujiko Mime but had allowed the deception because
he wanted the chance to meet the infamous Lupin III)
knew better than to move the alien-looking handgun.

Agent M. One of those American "Men in
Black" who had worked in Japan before. Tanaka knew
that M had been a street punk, once. Some of it still
showed, though stowing away in an alien freighter
and then having to find his way back to Earth had
taken a lot of the street out of the punk. Five years
in the MiB had taken some of the punk out.

Tanaka hit a switch and a set of photos
flicked onto the screen facing them.

"Nichieju amazons." M raised an eyebrow
above the everpresent dark sunglasses. "Another
husband hunting expedition for champions of the
tribe? No, that girl's gotta be all of nine, that's too
young, even for them."

"You've encountered the Nichieju?"
Tanaka was only mildly surprised. It seemed that
the MiB kept dossiers on everyone.

"Ancient Scythian tribe of nomads,
split into three groups during encounters with
pre-Greek conquerers. Lasted almost until Homer's
time before the break. One group travelled until
they found an 'inaccessible' valley in some harsh
landscape. Another group died out from malaria
during the early 1800s in South America. A third
vanished in the Bermuda Triangle. Current location
is classified, Magenta level.

"Matriarchal magic-using culture, one
of three Class-Aleph isolationist societies within
the Mount Phoenix region." M shrugged. "I got the
standard quick hypno-briefing."

"Yes, these are Amazons. If it were just
a husband-hunting expedition, well, we have a
longstanding policy of turning a blind eye towards
such things. Our 'operative' noted that this was not
such a thing and sent these signals. Our informer
will not inquire, but noted several things that might
indicate that the expedition is looking for something
that might impact one or both of your agencies."

Jazz spoke for the first time since entering
the office. "The albino there. There's something really
odd about her."

"The Nichieju are a closed society and often
have to look for outside blood to strengthen their own.
Odd hair, skin, or eye coloration is not unusual." M
glanced over the various amazons. "Considering the
ambient magical forces in the area, one is only surprised
there aren't more."

"Ambient magical forces?" Jazz perked up a
little. This was his specialty.

"There's also reports of a yousei in Nerima.
My sources indicate the two are related." Tanaka switched
the scene to show a blurry photo of a winged girl carrying
another girl through the air.

"A nissa?" Jazz blinked.

M frowned. "Puck isn't involved is he?" If
HE was around they'd have to call in reinforcements.
While not strictly an alien space traveller, indications
were that he predated humanity. Dimension hoppers
WERE considered MiB territory.

"No indication." Tanaka had his secretary
keeping the numbers of the Mano family, Phantom Quest
Corporation, and two "Ghost Sweepers" handy just in
case. So far, it was one oversized pixie and a handful of
amazons. Nothing to be alarmed about. Yet.
---------------Tendo-ke, Nerima-------------------
"Nihao, Ranma!" Shampoo flew (not literally) out
of the house to perform a near perfect example of the Amazon
Glomp(tm) upon an unsuspecting Ranma. His gasp of pain was
enough to tell her that this wasn't really a good thing to do.

"Who is this, Ranma?" Nabiki's voice went cold.
Wasn't he HER iinazuke? Then, of course, she realized that
she wasn't really supposed to care. After all, it was her father's
arrangement. Nothing SHE really wanted, after all.

"Urk." Ranma managed, wincing.

"Looks like she knows him really well," Akane was
torn between being angry at Ranma tolerating this girl's hug,
enjoying seeing her sister with boy troubles, and some sympathy
for how pale Ranma had gone when the girl had put pressure on
the bandages on his neck.

The skin didn't look black and blistered anymore, but
that still looked like it hurt. (1) Akane was actually surprised that
Ranma was still mobile after that sort of injury, trained martial
artist or not.

Featherbrite merely sighed. None of the girls here
could see or hear her normally. She could try a mental link in
order to communicate, but mortals had funny ideas about
things like that. Especially Ranma, for some reason. Maybe
he'd never forgiven her for the "Man Among Men" thing...

"Uhm, Miss..." Nabiki paused as she noticed the
color her iinazuke was turning. Maybe he _wasn't_ doing
this deliberately.

"Aiyaaa." Shampoo felt the groom collapse.
"This no good. Husband lose strength somehow?"

"Husband?" Nabiki spoke the word in such a
way that one could readily imagine ice crystals forming.

"Husband?" Akane smiled. Now there was
proof of what she had suspected all along. He _was_ a
pervert.

"Girl's at least got taste," Featherbrite noted,
even though only Ranma and the recent arrival of Kasumi
could see and hear her. "Honestly, have things changed
that much since Sultan Whatshisname?"(2)

"Oh, Shampoo, you might want to let them
get ready for an early dinner."

"Ah! Big sister Kasumi is right!" Shampoo
began dragging Ranma into the house. "Airen eat much,
get strength back fast!"

"Oh, and Shampoo," Kasumi held up a hand.
"By our laws, he isn't your husband yet. He's also got
that engagement to Nabiki."

Shampoo nodded. "Which one Nabiki?"

"I'm Nabiki." Nabiki grabbed Ranma away
from Shampoo. "What do you mean 'husband'?"

"Shampoo, Nabiki is my sister. Promise me
you won't hurt her." Kasumi's voice was firm and there
was a long moment of silence.

Shampoo looked from Kasumi to Nabiki and
back again. "Shampoo promise. Shampoo no kill sister
of Kasumi. Shampoo show appreciation by washing
friend's sister's hair with special shampoo?"

"Why that would be quite nice, Shampoo."
Kasumi nodded happily.
-------------Faculty Lounge, University Of Tokyo-------
"Hisakawa's really flipped out this time."

"What? That loser?" Kuniko made a
depreciating gesture. "What's he got this time, did
he sight Gojira? Mermaids?"

"A sylph," Isao fed the tape into the
machine. "Even sent a tissue sample."

"Yeah, right. I always knew ol' Buzzard
Face would flip out." Kuniko blew a smoke ring
towards the ceiling. "He's scum, you know."

"Everyone has to have their dreams."
Isao Nusumu hit play. "Even if..."

"The special effects are pretty good,"
conceded Kuniko Kumo. "I didn't know he was
into that sort of thing."

"He isn't." Isao watched the tape as
camera angles switched and another scene played.
"Look at how jerky he is with camera. That's
Hisakawa's all-thumbs work all right. I think we
need to go to Nerima."

"You're serious?" At Isao's nod,
Kuniko's eyes went to slits. "And if this is for
real?"

"We'll cut Hisakawa out of the loop
before he knows what's hit him. Why let him
drag the rest of us down when THIS could set
us up nicely for years to come?"

Kuniko and Isao grinned at that,
each visualizing how they could use this sort
of thing to further their own agendas.
-------------Tendo-ke, Nerima-------------------
The two fathers sat at one end of the table.
Ranma and Nabiki were at the other end. Akane, Kasumi,
and Shampoo listened in.

Genma pushed his glasses back up his nose,
looking as stern and fatherly as he could manage.

"So what is this big news bulletin?" Nabiki
was openly suspicious. She'd had to deal with her father's
bizarre schemes before.

Soun crossed his arms in front of his chest and
regarded the two children in front of them. "Now that
Shampoo will be staying here, there will be some changes
in the sleeping arrangements."

"She is NOT staying in my room," Akane glared
at everyone trying to find someone who would disagree.

"Shampoo can stay in big-sister Kasumi's room
or in room with airen. Is no big deal."

"Which is not fair to Kasumi," smoothly interjected
Soun Tendo. "So, Ranma, you will move into Nabiki's room as
well."

"Hey, I'm already sleeping with Pop in the room!"

Genma looked disapprovingly at his son. "Show
some gratitude, boy! We've been sharing the same tents and
campsites for ten years! It's high time I exercised my rights as
your father and got a little privacy!"

"Privacy! What about Nabiki? What about HER
privacy?"

Nabiki nodded. The whole thing smelled of one of
her father's schemes. She valued her privacy, though with
vampires running around she also valued the protection value
having Ranma at hand would provide. Now if she could just
figure out why the phrase "Ranma at hand" brought a brief
blush to her face.

Genma adjusted his glasses again. "That's not a
concern, boy. Just show some gratitude for once and listen
to your father on this."

"You ARE a guest here, you know," Soun reminded
Ranma of the cultural obligations of a guest in a Japanese home.

Kasumi spoke from where she stood. "Father, are you
really sure that this is the best idea? I don't mind having Shampoo
share my room. We also have another guest room."

"Shampoo can stay in the other guest room. There is
no reason for you to burden yourself unnecessarily, Kasumi.
As for Ranma, you needn't worry about him. I'm sure he'll be a
perfect gentleman. Besides, he and Nabiki are already engaged
to be married. It is only right that they learn to live together in
harmony. Sharing space is a big step in that direction." Soun
nodded and looked thoughtful as if this was all just occurring
to him.

"Oh man," Ranma rubbed his forehead as if he had
a headache. "Couldn't I just sleep in the living room or the dojo
or something?"

Soun looked as if he was going to manifest his demon
head at any moment. "WHAT!? And have someone cluttering
up my home like a vagrant? That is absolutely out of the question.
Appearances are vitally important to the future of the Anything
Goes school."

Nabiki folded her arms and gave her own stern look
towards her father. "Actually, daddy, if appearances are what
concern you, consider what it looks like to have me share my
room with a boy." She was NOT happy about this.

Soun and Genma spoke in an eerie unison. "That's
why we'll pretend he's just a girl!"

"Excuse me?" Ranma blinked.

"What?" Nabiki felt like facefaulting.

"Oh my."

"Yeah, right," Akane offered.

"Everyone speak slower. Shampoo not finding all
words fast enough!" Shampoo was flipping frantically through
her translation dictionary. "Vagrant?"

Genma ignored the amazon. "That's right. He'll just
have to stay in girl form for the evenings. That way there's no
question of modesty."

Nabiki facefaulted, noting that she had beaten Ranma
to it by several seconds.

Much later:

"Are you sure about this, Saotome?"

Genma leaned forward. "Trust me, Tendo. The boy
hates being a girl for any length of time. He'll soon disobey us.
And when your daughter finds she has a handsome young man
sleeping in her room..."

Soun grinned. "We let nature take its course! Oh,
my friend, this will work. Then we'll have grandchildren and
you can train one to be the True Heir of the Anything Goes
fighting style. What a grand day."

Genma nodded with a satisfied smirk. "It's Soun and
Genma's Operation Shacking Up!"

Shampoo edged away from the roof. It was as she
had expected. Now, how to foil the plot? She might just have
to wash that man right out of someone's hair after all.
---------------------------------------
(1)- As Nabiki stated earlier, these are Third Degree Burns.
It has been stated that Ranma has had worse. The neck
and one wrist were completely wrapped. So figure that's
about two inches of both areas. He didn't faint from the
pain, he went into shock. This is a pretty severe trauma.
I'm not exaggerating about the sort of reactions you get
on these kind of injuries. The smell kinda lingers too.
Even with Ranma's recuperative powers, the poisonous
effects are gonna keep him a little woozy.
(2)- Featherbrite's lived a long time (12,000 years) and has
seen a lot of human history (9,500 of those years, usually
at the outskirts) during that time. She couldn't tell you
who the ruler was, but his harem had such delightful
gossip... She'd probably drive any number of historians
nuts. But then, so would Nathan.
Tanaka is from from the James Bond movies. The Japanese equivelant
of "M" - James Bond's boss.
<clip here for archiving to Chapter 4a>

Next: the Vampire Attack plotline is resolved and Genma Sells Out.
Will Nabiki even remember Ranma in the morning?