[Ranma][Fanfic] Sunrise Chronicles - Part 1

Nightelf

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

Nightelf (nwl...@tam2000.tamu.edu) presents...

"The Dragon's Fire maneuver is a powerful final-attack ki-blast,
known and performed only by the ruling line of the Musk Dynasty. It
apparantly involves the focus of all aspects of a person's ki into the
fist, followed by its release. The blast spreads out in a circular
pattern, devastating everything within a 100-meter radius."

"It has only been seen and recorded by a Niichieju chieftain once
before. The 94th chieftain, X'ian Cao, viewed the attack (from a safe
distance) during the last Niichieju-Musk engagement, the Battle of Two
Rivers. Her observations are recorded in her scrolls describing that
battle. Other chieftains have seen the maneuver, but did not survive
the experience."

"My own observations are much more detailed...regrettably. You see,
this journal entry serves three purposes. It is first a technical
description of the most powerful ki-blast encountered by the Niichieju -
one that has taken the lives of seven chieftains and countless warriors.
Secondly, it is a historical journal, giving some of the circumstances
surrounding my admittance to the village. Finally - and most
importantly, for me personally - it is a memorial, a tribute to my
departed fiancee and friends."

"As has been reported in earlier journals, I am the first chieftain
to have been born masculine, having acquired my current form due to
Jusenkyo and having that form rendered permanent by the Chisuiton. It
was in the hope of breaking this permanency that I; my fiancee, Akane
Tendo; the heir apparant to the Niichieju leadership, Shampoo; and my
friends, Ryouga Hibiki and Mousse; traveled to Mount Hoorai, in search of
the Kaisuihuu. It is here that we last encountered Herb, current lord of
the Musk Dynasty. We had beaten his servants, Lime and Mint, and had
surrounded him. At this point, he held the Chisuiton and the Kaisuihuu.
We demanded he surrender and allow me to use the Kaisuihuu, thereby
regaining my natural form."

"Herb...at this point, Herb looked back at his fallen comrades, then
back at me. I remember with great sorrow the pride, the arrogance I held
in my heart at this point. Warning signals flashed in the back of my
mind as he drilled his gaze into me. In the clarity of hindsight, I know
precisely what my subconscious was telling me: One martial artist was
facing five proven, skilled martial artists...without the slightest
trace of fear or uncertainty in him. This could only occur if he held
some trick up his sleeve."

"Herb's words, spoken to me, are burned forever into my mind, echoing
there each time quiet surrounds me. 'Hear me, Ranma,' the Musk prince
said, his tenor projecting far beyond the site of our battle, 'You will
not regain your manhood - now or ever! Musk Dynasty Final Attack -
Dragon's Fire!!'"

"At this point, his right fist, clenched in anger since the fall of
his comrades, began to glow white with ki-energy, brightening to a
near-blinding brilliance. He then thrust the fist into the air, mush as
I do when performing the Hiryuu Shouten Ha. As the fist reached its
maximum height, the energy was released."

"Although I can see it clearly in my mind, I cannot easily explain
what happened during that last second. Something inside of me told me to
hold my ground, that if I projected confidence, I would be shielded from
it. I was right - to a limited extent. It shielded me from the darker
aspects of Herb's ki; however, it did not shield me from the brunt of
Herb's blast. Perhaps, one day, in the thick of battle, a warrior will
find a full counter to the blast. Until then..."

"Ryouga and Mousse, sensing what Herb was doing, leapt for him - and
were the first to encounter the blast. In the instant before I was
overwhelmed by the blast, I saw...Ryouga and Mousse's forms, burned and
broken...Akane and Shampoo, crouched, trying to shield themselves from
the unstoppable. Herb could not be seen in the center of the firestorm.
Then the blast took me - and with it, incinerated all my old hopes and
dreams."

"I miss you, my friends."

-- Exerpt from _Journals of Ranma Saotome, 108th chieftain of the
Niichieju_

Burned and Broken

Part the First of the Sunrise Chronicles

A work of anime fanfiction by Nicholas Leifker, aka "Nightelf"

All relevant characters created by Rumiko Takahashi
All other characters created by me

All rights reserved. I must ask that you not do anything with this work
without the author's permission.

Note: The events potrayed in this story occur roughly eight years before
the events potrayed in "Sunrise".

The brilliance of the Dragon's Fire faded to a sterile white
phosphorescence as Ranma emerged from her forced slumber. A soft,
almost inaudible groan escaped from deep within her throat as she
absorbed the dull throbbing ache throughout her body. Fighting the pain,
she raised her head slightly, in an effort to view her surroundings.

Her eyes widened as she realized...It was a hospital. Her father
snored away in a chair, somehow sleeping in what had to be an
uncomfortable position. Ukyou was much closer, her head resting on the
bed next to Ranma's stomach, her body sprawled in a chair next to the
bed. The soft blue eyes narrowed as the noted the slightly damp spots
next to Ukyou's head: she had cried herself to sleep.

Then the dread spread through her, as chilling as a winter breeze,
as she remembered her last moments on Mount Hoorai: Ryouga...Mousse...
Shampoo...Akane. She tried to move - to get out of bed - to find
her...an impossibility. Pain washed through her as she raised her arm
slightly...her only success.

The movement did not go unnoticed. Ukyou stirred from her sleep,
her head raising slowly. A strange joy, like a parent reunited with a
lost child, sparkled in her eyes as she took in Ranma's now-conscious
form. "R...Ranma?" she whispered softly, her voice cracking from the
sleep. "You're awake..." She hugged Ranma gently, careful not to hurt
her.

There was bit of hesitation in the embrace, a quality quickly
noticed by its recipient. Ukyou broke the hug, then took one of Ranma's
hands into her own, comfortingly stroking it. The joy was fading in her
dark eyes as the events of the recent past sank in.

"Ucchan...what..." The words that came from Ranma's lips were
lifeless, limp, without the usual arrogance or fire. Ukyou sat there
uncomfortably, her head to the ground, unable to face those imploring
eyes.

"Herb...he let out a powerful ki-blast. It leveled most of the
mountain." A glassy shimmer appeared in her eyes as tears started to
form.

Ohno...

"A...ka...ne?"

Ukyou's tears were uncontrollable. Unable to do much more, she
shook her head, her shaking hands unfolding a newspaper. A few drops
fell on the thin paper, raining its sadness onto the headline:

Local Teens Die In Explosion

Ukyou managed to catch enough breath to speak, occasional sobs
mingled in with her words. "I...I'm sorry, Ranchan...you were the
only...only...survivor..."

In the years that Ukyou had had the pleasure to know Ranma, she had
seen a myriad of emotions from him/her: unbridled joy, contented
happiness, noisy anger, dark humiliation. This...this was something new:
sorrow. The young woman's head collapsed back onto the pillow, any
strength holding it up vanished. Her breathing was strangely quiet as
the tears flowed freely from mourning eyes.

To Ukyou, it was as though Ranma was watching _himself_ die.

Recovery (Physical recovery, anyway) sped along quickly, primarily
due to Ranma's exemplary health. Her strength returned to her as she
received daily visits from friends...those few who were still alive. On
the other hand, there wasn't much for her to get better for. The two
things she had dreaded more than anything else - the loss of Akane and
the loss of her masculine form - had made themselves rude reality. All
because of Herb. Ranma burned in anger, fire coursing through her soul
as she thought about him...HIM...with his manhood, his friends...what
did he - did _she_ have waiting for her when she got out of here?

* KNOCK, KNOCK *

"Come in..."

Oh dear. Mom...

Nodoka Saotome walked alone into the hospital room, her katana
wrapped and draped along her back. Confusion showed in her eyes as tears
ran unwiped down her face. "Um...Ranko...this is going to sound a little
strange. I...I went to the dojo, looking for Ranma...When I...Then
Kasumi said...Nabiki agreed, but...but Genma denied it...but then
they...and he...and..."

"Yes, Mom." Ranma Saotome felt no fear of her fate...not anymore.

Nodoka reached out to hug her prodigal child, tears continuing to pour
down her face. "Oh Ranma...I...I...don't know what to say. How did it
happen?"

Ranma broke the hug, a small smile adorning her face. This, at
least, she could laugh about.

"Sit down and I'll tell you one unbelievable story." She waited for
her mother to get comfortable, then took in a deep breath.

"It all started when Pop took us to Jusenkyo..."

"Finally, we ran into Herb. Turns out he was cursed like me, only
he was stuck as a girl by being splashed with water from this magic
bucket. So what does the bakayaro do? He splashes me with the bucket,
leaving me in the same jam. We raced to get this teapot that could
change us back, but he got there first and..." Ranma trembled, fighting
hard to keep the tears from coming. She broke down as Nodoka hugged her,
unable to control hersewlf any longer.

"I don't know what to do, Mom...A...Akane's gone...I can't change
back...I just don't know..."

Nodoka's voice was shaking as she held on. "Did you...love...Akane?"

She felt Ranma's head nod up and down. "Uh-huh...I never...I never
told her..." The sobs overwhelmed any more words forthcoming.

Nodoka looked down at the ancient piece of paper in her hands: the
promise, written with Genma's strong strokes; the single large
thumbprint, sealing the covenant; Ranma's playful handprints, bringing
laughter to the solemn page. An instant later, and the document was a
crumpled ball. The child in her arms had known of the mysteries of
love...the power it held, the risks it carried...and, now, the ache of
its loss. The old fool had kept his promise.

* KNOCK, KNOCK *

"Who is it?" Nodoka answered. Releasing her hold, she wiped the
tears from Ranma's face, eliciting a brave smile from her.

"It's me, Cologne."

"Come in," Ranma called, her voice cracking only slightly.

"How are you today, Ranma?"

Ranma shrugged. "Okay, I guess..." She took the moment to look at
Cologne critically, her eyes widening at the realization of how
much...older...Cologne looked since the...

"Ranma...can we talk for a minute or two?" Cologne seemed
nervous, almost vulnerable, as she whispered.

"Sure. What is it?"

Cologne sighed. "My spies...my spies have found the Musk Dynasty
fortress. They also report that Herb has returned, with the Chisuiton...
and the Kaisuihuu."

Needless to say, Ranma was quite speechless, her eyes wide. Cologne
continued.

"I am willing to give you the ability to retrieve them, on one
condition."

Her voice took on a solemn tone as the condition was read: "Become
my heir."

Become Cologne's heir? This had to be some sort of joke. "What?
How could I become the leader of the Niichieju?"

"As leader of the Niichieju, I can accept outsiders as members of
the community...and I can select my heir. Shampoo was going to be that
heir, once she married you. Now, because of that imbecile, I have no
heir. Please, Ranma. I am an old woman, and my time of passing
approaches." She shook her head slowly, partly from sadness, partly from
frustration. "I don't have the strength to beat Herb. Under my
guidance, you will." She smiled privately at a small commotion outside,
then focused her eyes on Ranma.

The young martial artist's gaze shifted uncertainly from Cologne to
Nodoka and back. "May I be allowed some time to think about it?"

Cologne looked for a moment at the woman she had just offered her
kingdom to. The fire had returned to her eyes, but with subtle, almost
imperceptible differences. This child was more patient than her old self,
more willing to search for a solution, rather than fight for it. Perhaps
more importantly, no trace of surrender showed.

"Right now, Ranma, time is the one thing we have in abundance."

A "closing early" sign hung in front of Ucchan's as the reddish hues
of dusk poured through the restaurant's entrance. Dinner rush was just
dying down...the restaurant's proprietor stepped out from behind the
grill, on her way to hang the "closed" sign, when a last customer stepped
in.

"Hello, Nabiki. What can I get for you?"

A small chill went up her spine as Nabiki Tendo smiled. Nabiki
smiling meant only one thing: she wanted something, usually from whoever
she was smiling at. Her soft alto dripped with honey. "Ukyou...there is
something that we must discuss before you go to visit Ranma."

Ukyou gulped nervously, fearing the worst. "Is something wrong? Is
he..."

Nabiki shook her head. "No. He...she...she's unchanged. She's
healing, but still stuck. But...there was a discussion today, between
her and Cologne."

As Ukyou's eyes widened, Nabiki continued her tale. "Cologne made
her an offer she probably won't refuse. Training to eventually defeat
Herb and gain her manhood back...if she becomes Cologne's heir."

Surprised though she was, Ukyou still managed to find enough breath
to speak. "What does this mean...for Ranma, I mean?"

"Ranma's probably going to China. What I want is to go with her.
And, chances are, that won't happen unless others come along - such as
yourself."

"Where Ranma goes, I go. If he were traveling to Hell, I'd start
selling okonomiyaki to the demons. But...why do you want to go?"

The young businesswoman pulled out a pair of mirrorshades from her
purse, placing them neatly over her eyes. "Let's just say I have my
reasons. But...we need to talk to Cologne, tonight, before visiting
Ranma."

Ukyou stared down at the spatula in her hand...her source of
income, her weapon of choice...but not her strength. She bit her lip,
deep in thought, then turned back to Nabiki. Unable to bring any words
to come, she simply nodded her affirmative.

Ranma stared out the window from a hospital room chair, lost in
thought as she looked out at the distant stars. Cologne's offer...To
put it bluntly, it _scared_ her. It would be so easy to stay, to just
continue on with school, start an ordinary life, get an ordinary job...and
so tempting. No more to lose, just carry on with day-to-day life. No
more losses.

What all had she lost from this road she'd taken? Her manhood?
Given. Her fiancee? Also given. Her friends? That too. Tears fell
odown her cheeks as the list mounted...her mother...friends here and
there...her childhood...was there anything left?

That list was depressingly short. Mom had returned, in her darkest
hour. Pop was around, as always. The Tendos, maybe...and Ucchan. Now
she was asked to leave them - everything else she had - for a longshot
at getting her manhood back. Was it worth it?

Until this, her answer would have been a simple and obvious "yes".
Now...What for? Akane was gone - forever. Most of her friends were
with her, to wherever souls go when they...

Who knows? Given time, she could get used to an ordinary
life...finish high school...go to college...heck, with luck, she could
find a nice g-

The tears started flowing down her cheeks, continuing unabated
until sleep mercifully came to quiet her.

"Ranma? Are you okay?"

She woke up with a start, then groaned as she took in the pain of a
stiff neck. Still groggy, she shielded the morning light from her eyes
and stared at her visitors.

Cologne stood in the middle, her walking staff bringing her to eye
level with the others. Nabiki and Ukyou stood on either side of her,
their faces solemn. Mirrorshades hid Nabiki's eyes from view, while the
weariness painted on the other two guests suggested a long, drawn-out
night. Cologne raised a gnarled hand to silence any words forthcoming
from Ranma's lips, then smiled softly.

"Ranma, before you announce any decision...there is something you
should know. Your parents...and these two..." she gestured to the girls
next to her, "have expressed an interest in accommpanying you and joining
the Niichieju...should you accept."

Ranma blinked in disbelief as she fixed a skeptical gaze on the
middle Tendo. "Nabiki? You...want to join the Niichieju? You're no
warrior."

Tears began to flow from behind the mirrorshades. Her face was
contorted into a hard mask from the anger and pain coursing through her.
"When mom died, I...couldn't take the pain. I shut off my emotions and
became everyone's favorite ice queen, to avoid getting hurt. Then Akane
died, and..." She couldn't get any more out as the sobs overwhelmed her.

The blue eyes shifted over to the okonomiyaki chef. "What about you,
Ucchan?"

A soft, relaxing smile crept onto Ukyou's face as she matched
Ranma's gaze. "The first time you left my sight, you stayed lost for ten
years and ended up cursed. The second time, your friends died and you
were cursed permanently."

Her whisper acquired a subtle ferocity at the end. "You're never
leaving my sight again, Ranchan."

Ranma closed her eyes. A tear started to roll down her cheek,
though she quickly wiped it away (after all, guys don't cry). She opened
her eyes, looked at the trio, and smiled grimly. It wasn't going to be
easy...

"Okay. I will, provided my parents, Nabiki, and Ukyou can
come...and any other friends, if they want to."

"Hey, Akane. It's me. Sorry I missed the funeral, but...I was in
the hospital for awhile."

Ranma crouched in frone of a recently-dug grave, the icy winter wind
stinging her face. Her soft fingers ran across the cold etched stone,
numbly tracing out the "A-ka-ne", her hands trying to absorb what her
mind could not. Cologne, Nabiki, and Ukyou stood at the edge of the
cemetery, hovering nervously, but allowing Ranma her privacy.

"Akane...I'm sorry. I...I shouldn't have brought you along. It was
my fight, not yours, not Ryouga's..." She paused for a moment at the
fresh grave next to Akane's, "...nobody's but mine."

"I...Mom found out about my...other half...my only half, now...and
she doesn't mind it. We're becoming close, now, so...I know you always
wanted us to be together, so...you should be happy to hear that."

"Akane, I...I gotta go away for awhile. Cologne...she offered me
the training to beat Herb and get my manhood back...if I leave for the
Amazon village. My parents and Nabiki and...Ukyou will be coming along,
so I won't be alone."

She smiled for a moment, imagining a half-crazed cry of "Ranma no
baka!", then sobered back up. "Akane, I'm sorry I never told you this
while you were...while you were here. I...I love you. I...Akane...I'd
give anything...my manhood...my life...anything...to have you back. I'm
sorry, Akane. I'm so sorry..." She stayed there, crying, vainly trying to
wipe the tears away, but finding the flow too great for her to handle.

After a few minutes, Ranma pushed herself up, her tears subsiding.
"I...Akane...goodbye." She looked over at Ryouga's grave.
"Ryouga...watch over her, okay? And Ryouga...thanks...for everything."

She started to walk away, slowly, not really wishing to leave. The
winter wind seemed just a bit colder as she grabbed her collar, head
bowed as she made her way out to the others.

Once upon a time...upon a lifetime...the Tendo household was one of
the liveliest places in Nerima. With a tactless loudmouth, his
hopelessly violent fiancee, beautiful women who wanted him, and handsome
men who wanted her, the place was a constant source of entertainment and
property damage.

Now, an eerie silence hung low over the place as Ranma knocked on
the door. She hadn't wanted to come...too many memories were here...but
she had to get her things. The others folowed slowly, reverently, as
though still part of the funeral procession.

"Hello, Ranma. Come in." Kasumi spoke quietly as she opened the
front door. Her face was almost frightening: the perpetually cheerful
demeanor was gone, distorted into a long, haggard, empty gaze.

Ranma did what seemed to come natural for the situation...she hugged
her. "Are you all right, Kasumi?"

Kasumi released the hold, then smiled...a realistic smile, a strange
mix of love and sorrow. She shook her head slowly. "No. None of us
are. Father's comatose...Nabiki's angry...I'm...I'm..." She started
crying, letting the crumbling shell fall. "I lost her, Ranma...I lost my
baby sister...Nabiki's leaving too...Father's fading away...I...I can't
take this alone..."

"You don't...you don't have to be alone, Kasumi." Everyone did a
double-take as Dr. Tofu entered. The words were forced out, as though
the fog he tried to cut through were real, tangible, rather than in his
mind. For once, his eyes showed clearly, piercing through the gloom.
"If you ever need someone...I am always here."

"Th-thank you, Doctor. Thank you..." She ran to him, burying her
crying face into his chest. He stood there patiently, silently waiting
as she let out her pain.

All of a sudden, the room seemed a lot more crowded. "Uh...
Kasumi...we'll be upstairs." While the girls ran upstairs to pack,
Cologne went in search of herb tea, leaving the potential couple free to
be alone.

It didn't take long for Ranma to pack. All that she owned - a few
outfits and keepsakes from her travels - fit into one
outdoors-style backpack. Her work finished, she sat in the middle of
the room, somewhat bewildered, her next move uncertain. Fortunately,
Ukyou made the move for her, wrapping her arms around Ranma's small
frame. Ranma was startled as she realized Ukyou was...shaking?

"Ranchan...I know this won't be easy on any of us...but just
remember that you're not alone. I'm here, Nabiki's here, your
parents are here...even Cologne."

All Ranma could manage was a shake of the head, sparking the young
cook's anger. She broke the hug, and bore her fiery gaze into Ranma.

"Dammit, you jackass, listen to me! You _can't_ do this alone. If
you do, you'll just end up dead - or worse. Look at yourself! You're so
shaken up...from your curse, from Akane...that you wouldn't stand a
chance in a fight. In fact..." She readied herself for combat,
unsheathing the giant spatula from her back.

"Excuse me?" A challenge was something Ranma wasn't expecting from
Ukyou, especially at a time like this.

"What's the matter? Too weak to fight?"

"Okay. That does it..." Ranma leapt up, assuming a fighting stance.

The fight was brief - and one sided. A spatula whizzed past Ranma's
left ear, a millisecond before the combat spatula smashed her right
one. A last bit of property damage was created as a girl-sized dent was
made in the outside wall.

"Excuse me, am I interrupting anything?" Nodoka opened the door,
only to be treated to the sight of her child plastered to the wall and
one of her few remaining friends, combat-ready and facing her. Unfazed
by the sight, she quietly walked in, the katana unwrapped on her back,
and bowed to Ukyou, her gentle gaze focusing on her child's surviving
fiancee. "Ukyou...could you please leave the room for a moment? I must
talk to Ranma...in private...before we go."

Ukyou nodded, then turned back to the modern art on the wall.
"We'll continue this discussion later..." Sheathing her combat spatula,
she left the room, leaving mother and child alone.

Nodoka patiently waited for Ranma to recover from the blow, then
gestured to the futon. "Come, Ranma. We have important business to
discuss." She then sat down gracefully, inviting Ranma to join her.

"hai..." Ranma crawled slowly to the futon, still groggy, and took
her place in front of her mother.

Ranma's mother gazed unflinchingly at her for a minute, silently
taking in the subtle details of her form for the first time. She sighed,
then spoke softly, a nervous flutter in her voice.

"Ranma, you are a...an adult now...it is time for certain questions
to be asked." Needless to say, this did little for Ranma's peace of mind.
Nodoka smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

"The first is the one you've probably been dreading since...well,
since it happened. If there were no other way, and it were possible for
you to bear children and carry on the line...would you?"

Ranma shook her head, laughing softly. Soun Tendo's joking words
from before, about finding a husband, echoed through her mind. "It's way
too early to ask that, Mom...give me a few years to think about it."

Nodoka nodded, silently applauding Ranma's careful answer. She
unbuckled the bandolier strap, and pulled the katana in front of her,
holding the sheathed weapon in both hands.

"The other, while also important, is not quite as great a
responsibility...and is far easier to live with. Ranma, are you willing
to carry on the traditions of the Saotome school of Anything-Goes Martial
Arts and become its honored representative and heir?

The warrior looked confused for a moment. "Mom, I dunno...the
Niichieju..."

"The obligations will not interfere...I have spoken with Cologne on
the matter." Nodoka beamed, impressed with the wisdom her...daughter...
showed. Funny - she had always wanted a daughter, but had given up hope
after Genma left...

An identical smile formed on Ranma's lips. "Very well then...I
accept. I hereby swear on my life to bring honor to the Anything-Goes
School...as its representative and heir."

"Then, my 'wild child', it is time for you to have this." She held
out the sword to Ranma, who hesitantly took it. "This is the honor sword
of our clan. Wield it for the honor of our family...daughter."

Ranma sobered up at that last word. Daughter. Yes, she was...now.
But, that didn't mean she had to like it. "Mom, should I go after Herb?"

Nodoka rose, bowed deeply to the still-seated warrior, and turned to
leave. "Ranma...only you can make that decision...when the time comes."
Turning her head around, she managed a wry smile. "But, when that time
comes...follow your heart. You will not be disappointed by the direction
it takes you." She winked, then left the room, leaving the new head of
the Anything-Goes School to ponder her predicament.

Nabiki sat on her bed, silently lost in her thoughts as she stared
at a box in her hands. All of her other things - her clothes, books,
and other personal items - had been neatly packed, leaving only this.
A simple cigar box, nondescript, worn from years of use. Her shaking
hands quickly opened the box before the rest of her could voice protest.

Inside, beneath rolls of yen and undeveloped film, the past sat
there, forever frozen in two-dimensional images. Knowing the emotions
the search would cause, knowing the memories that would rise unpleasantly
to the surface, she started to look through them anyway, deeming the
results of the search worth the price.

The first pictures, rather appropriately, were of her most popular
model - and the only regular still left. On top, Ranma-chan sat there,
clothed in nothing from the waist up, nonchalantly drying her shirt.
Next, a sleeping red-headed beauty, provocatively snoozing away the
afternoon. Other photos went by, from basic everyday shots to more
risque "What the heck am I wearing?!?" photos, bringing a pang of guilt
to the once-passionless businesswoman. She had taken advantage of
him/her, now her forever, using the source of his humiliation for her own
profits. Now...because of that bastard Herb, it would be a humiliation
that Ranma would live with for all time.

Beneath the first group were other photos - the ones she feared the
most. Akane, her sister and friend, was swinging her arm in mid-crush, her
eyes in dangerous focus, her short hair flying in the wind. Nabiki
couldn't help but stop. She seemed so alive in the photo, so vibrant,
so passionate...

The trembling started, the byproduct of sadness and anger, as other
images, memories this time, appeared in her mind's eye. Kasumi's blank,
ghostly look as the news came in from the telephone. The lonely trip to
the hospital, wishing beyond all reason that it wasn't her. The cold
stillness of the morgue. Lifting the sheet, only to see a mass of flesh
only barely recognizeable as her sister.

She put the box down, not wishing to destroy the contents inside,
knowing that something in the room would be. The walls, so battered and
bruised throughout Ranma's stay here, seemed a more worthy victim than
the pictures - and was far more replaceable.

A few minutes later, her anger vented sufficiently, she returned to
her bed, to continue the search. Her still-trembling hands took out
one Akane picture, a token for Ranma to remember her by, then quickly
flipped past them, into the miscellaneous section of her collection.

A small smile crept on her face as she found her quarry. Ranma
(masculine, for once) and Akane, walking together to school, a few
weeks before they left. She quietly placed the picture in her
backpack, took out the money, and closed the box, placing it on
the bed next to her. She wouldn't be opening it again.

"Hey, Nabiki, you in here?" Ukyou knocked loudly, then slid the
door open. She walked into the room, noting the fist-sized holes in the
wall, then noticed Nabiki's red, puffy eyes. "So...what's up?"

"Oh...nothing. Just trying to figure out how to say goodbye.
I've lived here all my life, after all. So...how's Ranma coming
along?"

"As well as can be expected, I guess. He and his mom are having
a little heart-to-heart. Are you ready?"

Nabiki looked aimlessly at the room, hers for so long...she
nodded.

"Come on. Let's get some of this stuff downstairs."

Ranma stood misty-eyed as she waited outside the dojo for the
others to come. This, her first home - at least, the first she could
remember. After the change, she...he...needed a place like this: a
place to become human. Here he had learned - learned honor from Mr.
Tendo, kindness from Kasumi, shrewd strategy from Nabiki, and from
Akane...

Now it was all gone, wiped away by a murderer's hand, save what
she had learned. She absently felt the handle of the katana strapped
to her back - it was her turn now. Bowing her head, she whispered a
small prayer, to whatever deity would be willing to listen. A simple
thanks for guiding her to this place...and a prayer for wisdom to carry
on.

"What's on your mind, Ranma?"

She turned around to the source of the voice. Cologne stood
there, balancing atop her cane, staring calmly at her new pupil.

"Too much, Hibachan...too much."

"Get used to it. You have a lot to learn: Chinese, for
starters. There's also herbal medicine...Shiatsu...Niichieju martial
arts..."

"Okay, okay, I get the idea."

"Do you?" An enigmatic smile spread across Cologne's face.
"Think about the situation you're in. You are a Niichieju now...with
all the rights and responsibilities the title carries."

The blue eyes widened, realizing. "You mean..."

"Uh-huh. A bit of advice: Learn fast. The faster you learn, the
faster you can defeat Herb, and regain your manhood. Also, the wisdom
you gain could save your life."

Ranma still hadn't quite recovered from the revelation. "Oh
my..."

"Hey, isn't that my usual line?" Kasumi walked out the front
door, smiling again, though straining to carry a heavy backpack.
"Nabiki and Ukyou will be out in just a moment."

"Thanks, Kasumi." The two women studied their feet for a moment,
unsure of what to say. Kasumi broke the silence, a strange glow on
her face - not her old-style cheerfulness, but pleasant nonetheless.

"Ranma, I was looking through Akane's things...and found this."
She handed the young redhead a small whistle - old, simple, and
elegant. "I found it, buried, in one of her storage boxes. When I
blew into it, it made such a sound...so beautiful, so mournful...I
thought you should have it, to remember her by."

"Thanks, Kasumi...for everything." Ranma let escape a small,
nostalgic sigh, then locked Kasumi in a fierce hug.

"When I first came here, I was so frustrated...so angry...I
needed your wisdom...your peace." Releasing the embrace, Ranma locked
eyes with Kasumi, concern etched on her face. "So...what will you do
now?"

Kasumi shook her head, sad yet determined. "I don't know...take
care of Father, for now. In the long run..." She turned back to the
house, smiling as Dr. Tofu walked out to them, "...who knows?"
Nodoka, Nabiki, and Ukyou followed him out, each shouldering a
backpack.

"Are you ready, Ranchan?" Ukyou smiled fiercely, adjusting the
fit of her backpack.

"I guess. When will Pop be back?"

"Any mo-"

"PIGTAILED GIRL!!!"

"Oh no..." Ranma slowly turned around - and instantly regretted
it. Kuno barreled straight for her, roses in hand, his face a picture
of pure ecstasy at the presence of his goddess in pigtails. His
twisted sister followed behind him, her eyes aflame in madness, her
sable ribbon whipping in the wind.

The bokken-wielding young man wrapped his arms around his only
love, a desperate act rewarded with an uppercut to his jaw. He flew
back, dazed, but still conscious.

"Kuno." Ranma drilled her gaze into the poor fool, rage
smouldering within her. Her voice, never above a whisper, cracked
with pain. "Leave now. I don't want you, I've never wanted you, and
I never will." Kuno stayed sprawled on the ground, nursing his jaw,
as Kodachi made her advance. She whipped her ribbon at Ranma, only to
have it caught in one hand.

"What have you done with my Ranma-sama? To what dark realm have
you spirited him?"

Anyone who believed that Kodachi could not get any crazier, that
somehow her typical insanity was as crazy as she could get, was easily
proven wrong, much to the discomfort of those unfortunate to witness
it. She looked almost demonic, her intense gaze a devil's mask as she
hissed at her love and adversary, expecting a fight.

What she didn't expect was the sadness in Ranma's voice.
"Kodachi...Ranma's gone."

"You lie! Bring him back, you wretched, wretched girl! BRING
HIM BACK!!!" The soprano reached an ear-splitting intensity as her
hysteria reached climax.

Ranma yanked the ribbon from Kodachi's grip, pulling her
dangerously close. Her hand grabbed the collar of Kodachi's
leotard, bringing their faces inches apart.

"Listen to me, Kodachi. He's gone - forever. Believe me, I
would give anything - ANYTHING - to have him back, but I can't. I
can't..." Ranma's words were choked off as the tears started to
flow. She threw Kodachi away, landing the younger Kuno right next
to her brother.

"Pigtailed girl..." Kuno moved to get up, to comfort the
scarlet-haired beauty in in her hour of distress, only to be stopped
by a gentle hand pressing against his chest. He turned to its
source...then gasped in pure astonishment.

The woman that knelt next to him bore his sister's youthful form.
But...the face, normally disguised beneath dark insanity, was
soft...crying..._sane_. She breathed softly, turned to her brother,
and shook her head, warding him off. The gymnast turned back to
face Ranma, her voice quiet and polite.

"I...apologize for my actions. If you could, could you please tell
me where his body lies?"

Ranma nodded softly, the adrenaline subsiding. "Mount Hoorai...or,
at least, what's left of it."

"Thank you. Be well in your travels, pigtailed girl." She turned
to her still-dumbfounded brother, hefted him like a sack of potatoes, and
walked slowly away. Ranma watched her walk away, then stared at the
ribbon in her hand. The gymnast had left behind her favorite weapon -
almost as if she wouldn't need it anymore.

"Ranma..." Nabiki's stutters brought her back to reality. "That
was...that was..."

"What I had to do." She sighed, trying to settle down from the
confrontation. "If I hadn't..."

* HONK, HONK *

A small pasty white rental car pulled in front of the dojo. Genma
got out, waving obliviously to everyone, and opened the trunk. The group
started loading the backpacks in silence, fearful of the effects words
would have.

When the goodbyes finally came, they were quiet, whispered...tears
and hugs and parting words mingled together, with no real desire to see
it all end. Finally, it was done...the car on its way...the journey begun.

Dear Kasumi,

Hello.

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've written. It's just that,
until now, there really wasn't any way we could receive a reply.

Our long journey is almost done. Hibachan says we should reach the
village sometime tomorrow. From here (Jusenkyo, of all places), we can
just make out a dim glow in the distance, apparantly the fires of our new
home. It'll be nice to arrive. Six months without a real roof over our
heads is reminding me rather unpleasantly of Pop's old training voyages.

This little trip, unlike those other ones, has been to train my mind
as well as my body. My Chinese is improving (of course, Hibachan's
special "learning spice" doesn't hurt), but is still only at a
rudimentary level. I've also learned a few new moves, basic Shiatsu, and
herbal medicine. I have learned other things...about my "new"
self...that scare the living daylights out of me. Thank goodness Mom's
here to explain certain things: hearing that sort of thing from anyone
else would be too frightening.

Today was not the most pleasant of days. We learned, much to Pop's
dismay, that Jusenkyo holds no "cure". Once cursed, a person is stuck
with it. Of course, some are more stuck than others...

Also, Hibachan showed me, from a safe distance, the Musk Dynasty
fortress. So close - so damn close - yet infinitely far. I stood there
for awhile, taking in its imposing stone walls. I know this sounds
strange, but I could feel the power within - the fire of its leader, and
the subtle magic of its treasures.

Everyone here is doing fine. Your sister is improving at a
frightening rate. Apparantly, her childhood training is coming back to
her in practice. She isn't quite as talkative as she usually is,
for some reason. It's as though she's haunted everyday by what
happened. Ukyou's doing well, though I think she misses the old me
(To be honest, I miss the old me). There's been some friction between
Mom and Pop lately. I don't think she's quite forgiven him for
everything that's happened. I hope they can work it out...
unfortunately, it doesn't look too promising. After all, a dozen years
of loneliness, only to be rewarded with disappointment, isn't easy to
forgive.

Well, I'd better get some sleep. It'll be a busy day tommorow.
Give my regards to ojisan and Dr. Tofu and the Kunos and anyone else
still in Nerima. I don't think we'll be able to come back and visit
anytime soo, but I do look forward to the day when we may see each other
again. Take care.

Love,
Ranma.

It wasn't often that the village enjoyed a day as harmonious as this.
The air still felt of the rainstorm of the night before, massaging the
residents with a cool, damp breeze. The sun shone brightly down on them
all, its glow warning of a muggy afternoon - an afternoon that had yet to
arrive. Most of the villagers toiled away contentedly in the center of
town, preparing the area for the following day's events, anxiously
awaiting the performances to come. Little did they know...

The half-dozen travelers walked in slowly, silently, wisely choosing
to listen, to take in the small whispers, rather than announce their
presence openly. Indeed, their very presence in the village was loud
enough. It was not often that the village had visitors from outside
(tribal law tended to discourage that sort of thing), let alone with such
esteemed - and sorely missed - company.

Cologne led the party, in much the same way she led the village:
subtle, strong guidance, with force only if needed. Her steps were sure,
determined, unwavering from her destination: the village square. Her
surprisingly young eyes scoured the village, searching (and discovering)
the small changes in the village.

The second in the group, like the others, was a stranger to the
village, though it was clear that she was no warrior - at least, not
anymore. In her late thirties, the woman carried herself with a gentle,
almost royal grace, smiling as she admired the serenity of the
village - and the human beauty of its residents. She, like most of the
others, wore local clothing: a blue tunic, gray slacks, and ti-chi
shoes, all of which seemed out of place, almost undignified, for a
person of her class.

The four others were clearly warriors...and seemed as much elemental
as human. The only man of the group was about the same age as the woman,
and was probably the lady's husband. He was a mountain of a man, burly
and stocky, but of average height. The untrained eye might consider him
overweight, not recognizing the muscular power contained in his frame.
He, too, wore Chinese clothing: long-sleeved gray shirt, black slacks,
and shoes, with a white bandanna covering his balding head. A bit of
apprehension, almost to the point of being called "fear", showed in his
round, weatherbeaten face.

The remaining travelers were all women - young warrior maids, with
fire in their eyes. The first of the three was a dark-haired beauty,
with flowing brown hair extending down to the small of her back. Her
demeanor was a cool confidence, the kind of aura that let you know her
peaceful intentions...and her powerful abilities. Unlike the others, she
wore foreign clothing: an ocean-blue cook's outfit, by the look of it,
adorned with a bandolier loaded with spatulas.

The pigtailed redhead, the smallest in the group (save Cologne), was
an enigma. Something about her seemed familiar - and disconcerting. Her
light, well-placed steps almost suggested that gravity's persistent hold
on the rest of humanity held no meaning for her. She eyed the village...
its warriors, the houses...the square...with an patient, excited intensity
normally reserved for the hunter spotting prey. Chinese clothing framed
her compact form: scarlet Mandarin shirt, black slacks and shoes...and,
unlike the other outsiders, suited her well.

The last in the group was the one to fear most, not necessarily due
to any abilities she had (though it was clear she had some training), but
by her angry, brooding demeanor. A dark flame smouldered in her eyes,
the remnant of a long-cherished anger. The neatly cropped,
shoulder-length dark brown hair complimented the severe look on her
face. These, along with the black Chinese-style outfit flowing about
her, gave her the overall appearance of some dark evil - or the darkest.

The villagers moved out of the wat for the sextet, watching
nervously as they walked forward, creating a makeshift parade as the
group moved closer to the great log that served as a battle platform.
Most of the village beamed proudly, smiling. Today would be a day to
remember for years to come.

A single woman sat on the platform, cleaning the log, trying to hide
her excitement beneath her work. She was a true amazon, both in terms
of citizenry and physical stature. Towering to a height of nearly six
feet standing up, she had a thin, wiry build that suggested incredible
agility. Long black hair, adorned with Shampoo-style buns, hung down to
her waist. She wore a blue blouse, black slacks, and shoes, an outfit
that complimented the cool grey of her eyes. She leapt off the platform,
walked to the group, and bowed deeply. She then stood up to her full
height, straight and proud, like an army officer.

"Greetings, Hibachan. It is good to see that you have returned
after all this time." Her voice faltered slightly. "I...mourn Shampoo's
death, and send my condolences for the loss. I now await your training
and guidance...as your pupil."

"Nani?!?"

Ranma only had a basic grasp of Chinese, but she had understood
more than enough. She approached Cologne, breathing evenly to contain
her anger, venting broken Chinese through clenched teeth.

"You...tell me...she...also...pupil?"

Cologne sighed, then managed a slow smile. "Ranma, this is
Blossom. She and Shampoo were best friends growing up. She also won
last year's tournament...in the absence of both you and Shampoo."

"Tournament?" She looked around, realizing, at the half-cleaned
battle platform...the ropes and ribbons... "oh no..."

"Wait." Blossom raised a hand, desperate to quiet any other
voices. "Hibachan. You have taken...her...as a pupil? Why? She
is...she is...an outsider." Any more words, of Jusenkyo curses and
death kisses, were lost in her own disbelief.

"I have admitted all of them into the village and have chosen Ranma
as the heir to my knowledge...and, potentially, the leadership."

"No! I will not allow this! The village will not allow this!"
Blossom's hands balled up, her will desperately fighting the urge to attack
the village elder. The rest of the village watched silently, helpless
to interfere as the events unfolded.

Cologne's smile widened. "So...you wish to become my heir as well?
Fine. All you have to do is win the tournament tomorrow."

Blossom, still tense, bowed sharply to the old woman. "Very well
then. The winner of tomorrow's tournament becomes your pupil...and
heir." She turned, fixing her cold stare on Ranma. "Good luck,
outsider. You will need all you can get." She then leapt back onto the
platform, furiously working out her anger through her work. Sensing the
unfocused battle auras flaring up behind her, Cologne sighed, then turned
to the crowd.

"Excuse me. It is nice to be back home...though I wish it were
under more pleasant circumstances. My friends and I will be out to help
you in a few minutes, once we go home and drop off our packs." Motioning
to the angry warriors behind her, she walked over to a nearby house,
searching for the strength to get through this.

The house itself was fairly large, originally designed to hold an
extended family snugly under one roof. Furniture in the main living area
consisted of ancient wooden chairs and tables, well-dusted and
preserved. Boxes - the belongings of its new residents - piled up in a
dark corner, waiting ominously to be opened. Cologne noticed this
immediately upon entering, applauding the faithful diligence of her
neighbors, then closed her eyes, focusing her mind on the oncoming
storm.

The clouds rolled in, one by one, their dark faces frozen masks from
the seeming betrayal. The slam of the heavy wooden door echoed through
the house, soon followed by a tumult of angry voices.

"Okay, you old bag, what was that all about?"
"You've got a lot of explaining to do..."
"Up to your old tricks, I see..."
"Pardon me, but I was under the impression..."

"We had a deal, Cologne." Ranma's sharp voice cut through the
chatter, silencing the other protests.

Cologne opened her eyes, and wrapped a gnarled hand tightly around
her staff. One second and five well-placed pressure points later, and
the situation was well under control. The others groaned, struggling
unsuccessfully to move through the paralysis.

"Now that I have your attention..." She sighed quietly. Good
pupils were so hard to come by these days..."I will give you back control
of your head and vocal cords, with the understanding that you will be
polite in your discussions." She then prodded them in various spots,
producing small squeaks and coughs as they tested their voices.

"Okay, Hibachan. Explain."

* WHAP! *

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Use Chinese, Ranma. The only way you'll learn is by practicing."

"......yes."

"As for the explanation...the answer is simple if you consider the
situation. Nabiki."

"Yes?"

"What is the most likely view that the average Niichieju warrior is
going to take of your presence here?"

"....Outsider," she replied, recalling Blossom's words.

Cologne smiled. "Very good. Ranma, based on your experience with
the Niichieju, what problem does this view pose with tomorrow's
tournament?"

Ranma bit her lip, straining to remember her Chinese. "If win,
get...death kiss." Her eyes widened, seeing another Shampoo situation
unfolding before her.

Cologne nodded, noting Ranma's concern. "Don't worry about that.
I can give you protection from that. Now, Ukyou. What would it take
to be accepted as a leader in the village?"

Ukyou thought silently for a moment. "Must be...good
warrior...best warrior."

Cologne frowned for a moment. "That's part of it...the most
difficult part. The rest will come in time. Finally, Genma. What is
the one way that Ranma can prove herself the best warrior in the
village?"

"Win the tournament."

* WHAP! * "Ow!"

"Speak Chinese next time." She reached out to each of them with her
staff, freeing them of their paralysis.

"However, you are correct. Unless Ranma wins tomorrow, she stands
no chance of taking over as leader." She let go of her staff, letting it
rest against the wall. The backpack came off next, at first sliding down
her small form, then miraculously jumping onto the table before it could
hit the ground.

"Come on. It is...expected...that we help set up for the
tournament."

"Ranchan...what are you still doing up?"

The roof of Cologne's house offered a perfect view of the sky...the
low level of technology in the area allowed for a breathtaking number of
stars. Ranma stared up at them, soothing the ache in her muscles as she
lost herself in the silent infinity. It took a few seconds for her to
shake herself back to reality...and Ukyou's call, by which time the cook
had leapt up to join her, taking a seat next to her ex-fiance.

"Oh. Sorry, Ucchan. I was just thinking..." She smiled, a soft,
gentle smile reserved for her closest family and friends, "...about
tomorrow...and yesterday."

"I know. None of us expected to fight so soon." She took one of
Ranma's hands into her own, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Still...it
shouldn't be anything we can't handle."

"Yeah. Thing is...there's -"

"I challenge you!"

"Huh?" The two looked down at the source of the squeaky voice. She
couldn't have been more than ten years old...royal-blue hair, long,
decorated with buns...a slightly oversized pink outfit...small,
child-size bonbori...the two couldn't help but be reminded of their late
friend. The chibi-Shampoo stood in a combat stance, weapons at the
ready, prepared to defend her village's honor with her life, if need
be. The two women, seeing the serious look in her eyes, leapt down to
face the small warrior.

"Hello." Ranma assumed a ready stance, prepared for a "fight", but
keeping a friendly smile on her face. "Why...why you fight?"

"You're the enemy of the village." The words were said flatly, with
no real emotion behind them, obviously parroted from some elder.

"Why? Why...enemy?"

The child lowered her bonbori. Apparantly, questions of motive were
not usually asked to her. "You...you want to take away Blossom's...
Blossom as leader."

The smile on Ranma's face widened, comforted by the thought she
wasn't the only one having problems with Chinese. "Who say...
Blossom...leader?"

"Uh...everybody." Needless to say, this little warrior was not
prepared for a battle of wits.

"Hibachan not. I not."

"Uh..."

Ranma decided to try a different tactic. "Where you when
Shampoo die? Where Blossom?"

This got the child's attention. Kawaii brown eyes widened at
Shampoo's name. "Sh...Shampoo?"

"Blossom here...safe...in village. I there...hurting...
pain..." Ranma's brain worked overtime, stretching for the right
words.

Whatever words came out seemed to have some effect on the child.
Her head hung low, her mind lost in the conflicting ideas. The bonbori
hung limp, lifeless without without their leader's guidance.

"Mouthwash? Mouthwash?"

"Momma!" The child perked up at the sound of her name, relieved
to find a familiar sanctuary from the difficult questions. She ran
off to her mother's arms, gratefully accepting her embrace.

As for the two newcomers to the village, they watched the
parental love...the innocent joy in the child's eyes...the motherly
concern and caring...

"Ranma..."

"Yes?"

"That kid...I..."

"I know, Ucchan. I know."

Some things, at least, never change.

The household, to a man (or woman), rose with the dawn...Nodoka
labored in the kitchen, working her human magic with the breakfast,
while the others practiced. Genma worked tutorials with Nabiki,
improving her skills to a warrior's level, refining the basic
techniques she already knew to perfection. Nearby, Cologne faced off
against Ukyou and Ranma, limbering their minds and muscles for the
day's events, her commands sharp and harsh.

"Come on, Ranma! You've got to do better than that if you want
to beat Blossom!"

"Old bag..." Ranma took in a deep breath, in a vain effort to
control her anger. In the past two hours, she'd run full speed on
widely spaced bamboo poles, perfected two useful Shiatsu points, set
a new personal best in both rate and duration for the Kashuu Tenshin
Amaguriken, and had refined the Shishi Houkoudan to a frightening
intensity - all without the slightest hint of approval from Cologne.

Suddenly, the old woman's ears perked up. Jumping down from the
perch on her staff, she held it out, ready, in a combat stance.
"Ranma. Attack me!"

"Huh?"

* THUNK * Cologne's staff smacked against Ranma's blocking
arm. "I said attack me, you stupid _girl_!"

"Ranchan..." Ukyou could see what was coming. Ranma saw red,
her eyes aflame.

"Why you..." The charge came in...fast and furious. Two
well-placed blows later, and Ranma faced the morning sky, blood
oozing from her nose. Concerned for their champion's safety, the
others ran to her prone form. Ukyou offered her hand to help up the
fallen warrior, but was gently pushed aside by Cologne.

"Ranma...this is my lesson for today. Fight with your mind - not
your anger. You've got enough bottled up inside of you for an entire
village...but it won't do you any good if you can't control it. One of
Blossom's favorite tricks is to anger an opponent before a fight. The
result is mistakes...little ones, but fatal nonetheless." Cologne
offered her hand, which her pupil grudgingly accepted. "I think that's
all for today's lesson. You two need to conserve your strength for the
tournament."

"Yes, Hibachan." The two bowed to their master, speaking the
words simultaneously, then smiling at the strange harmony it made.

Cologne stood in the town square near the great log, her finest
red robe wrapped around her tiny frame, the calm of her expression a
perfect foil for the concern in her mind.

Damn that Musk prince for his fear! So much was lost due to that
idiot...so much thrown into chaos. Now, for the first time in ages,
the tournament would not only decide its finest warrior, but its
leadership. The village's best hope was now in a Jusenkyo-cursed
foreigner given the kiss of death by her own great-granddaughter. If
she succeeded, the village would be stronger than ever, assuming the
anger didn't break it up in the process.

She looked up at the sky. A beautiful day, overall: a few clouds
hung isolated in the sky, to shield the warriors from the sun's harsh
glare without giving any threat of a downpour. A cool breeze blew in
through the village, cooling off overheated bodies and tempers. A
perfect day for the business at hand.

Enough reverie. Ranma...Blossom...everyone...had waited long enough.
She gripped the gnarled staff in her hands, swinging it in a perfect arc
toward the gong next to her.

*....Gongongongongong...*

At the signal, the villagers slowly filed out of their houses, like
monks on their way to daily Mass. It wasn't difficult to pick out the
day's combatants: they carried with them the traditional entry fee of the
tournament: food of some type, ranging from pork buns to fruit to whole
sides of beef.

Ranma and Ukyou were among the last to arrive, their measured steps
slow, deliberate, weighted down by the gravity of the situation. They
wore their traditional colors, to comfort them in their time of need.
Like the others, they carried their entry fee with them: vegetable
stir-fry and special modern yaki, respectively. The others followed,
just as silently, not wishing to interfere.

After a few brief words of introduction, the tournament was begun.
The rules were simple: Single elimination, no projectiles, victories by
KO or removal from battle area (ring or platform), prelims on ground,
semis and finals on the log. Although dozens of warriors came to fight,
all eyes were on three of their number.

As usual, Ranma fought bare-handed, using her frightening speed to
knock opponents into submission. She avoided using ki-maneuvers,
prefering the basic punches and kicks over the special moves. She wasted
no time with her opponents, dispatching them with businesslike swiftness.

Ukyou was somewhat of a novelty in the tournament, due to her recent
arrival into the village and her unique weaponry (after all, a spatula
isn't normally used for combat purposes). Not blessed with Ranma's
speed, she had a more difficult time with her matches; however, her
battle savvy, honed through dozens of battles in Nerima, gave her a
near-unbeatable edge.

Blossom's style was as much of a curiosity as Ukyou's, though it was
her use of the tools rather than the tools themselves which was unusual.
The warrior wielded a single bonbori, allowing her free left hand a
surprising degree of control while the bonbori amplified the
already-formidable power in her right arm. This versatile, if
unorthodox, method proved quite successful as she worked her way through
the matches, blocking attacks with her hand, then using a vicious counter
to send them off via bonbori express.

Four were left at the end of the prelims...

The early matches had calmed Ranma somewhat, restoring lost
confidence to the once-fallen warrior. Her opponent, a mace-wielding,
almost masculine giant of a woman, had seen the fighting prowess of this
outsider - and was nowhere near as confident. Ranma bided her time,
casually dodging and blocking the blows, calmly waiting for an
opening - such as a slight mistiming on a swing. A few seconds later,
the poor giant was lying on the ground, unhurt save for her pride. As
the referee raised Ranma's arm in victory, she staggered over, touched a
surprisingly gentle hand to Ranma's chin, approached her cheek...then
stopped. Blossom stood at the front of the crowd, hands crossed over her
chest, her head shaking no - and smiling. Dropping her hand, she walked
away, trying, without much success, to hide in the crowd, content that
Blossom's actions would be far more effective.

Blossom's fight was next...as was Ukyou's. Ranma approached the
latter, hugging her close, as though to shield her from the storm.

"Ucchan...be careful." The whisper was soft, inaudible to
all save one.

Ukyou broke the hold, then looked squarely at Ranma, reading the
concern, the worry...the love...in her face. Forcing down her emotions,
she managed a wry smile. "Don't worry, Ranchan. I'll see you on the
platform in a few minutes." She then leapt onto the great log,
unsheathing the spatula from her back, her senses on overdrive.

Blossom scowled away in a combat stance, bonbori in hand, ready for
battle. The two bowed to each other in silence, waited for the signal,
then rushed toward each other, weapons drawn and swinging.

What followed was a beautiful, complex battle, a three-dimensional
chess match of attacks, parrys, and counters, with neither opponent
giving up any ground or leaving a viable opening. The tension built up
in the crowd as they marveled at the skill of the warriors, reaching a
fever pitch as the battle approached its climax.

The inevitable happened. Ukyou, starting to tire from the length
and intensity of the battle, thrust her combat spatula just a little too
far: a small mistake, but enough. Blossom, seeing her opponent
off-balance, sweep-kicked, tripping Ukyou up. The young chef dropped her
spatula as she started to fall...

A hand grabbed her by the scruff of the neck. Ukyou hung in midair,
helpless, held in place by Blossom's iron grip. She winced as the
bonbori came swinging...

Ukyou flew through the air, her body making a sickening crunch as it
hit one of the support poles, eventually landing close to the platform.
The Japanese contingency of the Niichieju rushed to her bleeding,
unconscious form, horrified. Ranma bent over, panic increasing as she
took in the seriousness of her condition. She looked from one person to
another, knowing what had to be done, and started commanding in the
language she knew best.

"Pop, take her home - now. Mom, follow, and bandage her wounds as
best you can. Nabiki, find a doctor. Hibachan...Hibachan? Where's she
go?"

Nabiki placed a hand on Ranma's shoulder, in an effort to calm her.
Unfortunately, she wasn't much better: she looked ready to kill. The
voice that came out was strained, angered, twisted from the emotion
held back. "Calm down, Ranma. Hibachan _is_ the doctor...sort of.
You worry about Blossom. She doesn't look happy..."

Indeed she wasn't. Expecting the cheers of the victor, the approval
of the village for defeating this...outsider...all she received were
disapproving stares from the village - and embarassed looks from friends.
To make matters worse, she was cursing the lot of them, calling them all
hypocrites and cowards.

One last harsh whisper came from Nabiki's lips, serving as both
advice and warning. "Remember: Fight with your mind."

Ranma turned the words over and over in her head as they carried
Ukyou away, desperately fighting down the anger swelling within her. She
knew perfectly well why Blossom had done it: to unnerve her, to anger her
into making a mistake. Even worse, it was working. "Fight with your
mind..."

A picture emerged in Ranma's mind - an image of happier times. Two
girls, fast friends, enjoying a practice bout in the dojo...she smiled
as she remembered. Her first fight with Akane - and one of the few she
actually won. She turned around, fixing her gaze on her irate
adversary. The smile changed slightly, into somthing akin to a snake
smiling at a field mouse. One swift bound later, and Ranma stood on the
log, ready for battle.

"Blossom. Fight!"

Her adversary, recognizing the challenge in the crude words, glared
at her, then joined her on the platform. Ranma took a deep breath and
relaxed, resting her arms at her sides. They bowed to each other, then
waited for the signal to begin.

At the signal, Blossom came out swinging, eager to win this once and
for all. Ranma simply advanced a couple of steps to give herself room,
assumed an extremely non-combative stance, and started dodging - much to
Blossom's chagrin. Bonbori swings and kicks were countered by ducks and
jumps rather than hard blocks.

"Attack me, dammit! Attack me!!" Blossom's cries came at the same
time as a desperate, foolish thrust, one designed to push Ranma off of
the platform. Ranma took the opportunity at face value, using it to
vault over her opponent, landing right behind her. She then thrust out a
finger, touching Blossom on the back, near her right shoulder blade.

Blossom's eyes widened as the bonbori slipped out of her numb,
useless hand. A dark, sinking feeling spread through her as she
experimentally cradled her right arm, comfirming its paralysis.
Ranma chose not to attack further, instead choosing to stare
oh-so-innocently back at her with her wide, big blue eyes and a
friendly smile.

"Blossom? You okay?"

"I'm fine, outsider," Blossom growled, modifying her combat stance
to compensate. She launched at Ranma again, feet and fist flying, only
to meet empty air. Ranma vaulted over her again, this time touching a
spot near her left shoulder blade. Blossom's left arm dropped to her
side, as useless as her right one.

"Blossom? You give up now, okay?"

"Never!" Turning around, Blossom tried a kick at Ranma - one
extremely off-balance, due to her arms. A sweep-kick and a grab later,
and Blossom hung in midair, helpless, eyes wide at Ranma's now-serious
gaze. She winced as the clenched fist approached...

"You lose." Stopping her fist, Ranma let go, allowing Blossom to
fall safely to earth. She then leapt off the platform herself, only to
be surrounded by something she hadn't expected: cheers. After releasing
Blossom's paralysis, she let her arm be raised in victory, enjoying the
moment...

Blossom banged her fist into the ground, the anger starting to
overwhelm her. She got up, rudely pushed her way through the mob,
advancing toward her adversary. She got close...touched her
chin...approached her cheek...

"Don't even think about it, Blossom."

Blossom stopped, her lips a centimeter away from contact. She knew
the owner of that voice all too well. "Stay out of this, old woman.
This does not concern you."

Cologne looked almost amused at the comment. "Oh, but it does,
Blossom. Ranma is a full member of this village...and my heir. As such,
if you go after her, I have no choice but to go after you."

The old woman then began whispering in Blossom's ear. The youth
turned white as a sheet, her body stiff from fear.

"V-very well, Hibachan. While you live, I will not harm her...or
any of the others you have admitted into the village." Unable to contain
herself any longer, she ran from the crowd, seeking refuge in her own
home.

Ranma grabbed Cologne's shoulders, concern beginning to replace the
exhilaration of victory. "Ukyou?"

Cologne smiled. "Hurt...but she'll live. Concussion, broken
bones, cracked ribs...she'll be out for awhile."

"Thank goodness. I...Hibachan...thanks." She reached out and
embraced her new mentor, thankful...for everything.

The sunlight gleam from Blossom's bonbori faded to a dim lamp's glow
as Ukyou woke up from her forced slumber. A soft groan escaped from her
throat as she took in her many aches and pains. Fighting the pain, she
raised her head, desperate to see her surroundings.

Her new family, all of them, were asleep, sprawled around in the
room with her. Nodoka and Nabiki rested peacefully in cots, while Genma
and Cologne slept not-so-peacefully in chairs. She smiled as she
saw...Ranma asleep next to her, her head resting next to her one good
leg, the rest of her body sprawled in a chair, their hands held
together. Next to the table lamp, food - the modern yaki she had made
for the tournament - waited to be eaten in celebration.

Ukyou rested her head back on the pillow, tears of joy running down
her face, happy that, for the first time in months, something, a very
important something, had finally gone their way. She fell back asleep,
taking comfort...security...in the intimate handhold.

Hello.

This is the first of four stories, chronicling the events from Ranma's
defeat at Herb's hands and the death of Akane and the others to the
events shortly before "Sunrise", in which Ranma and the Niichieju go after
Herb and the Musk Dynasty, partly for revenge, partly for the Kaisuihuu.

Part the First : Burned and Broken. See above.
Part the Second: Happi-ness. Ranma vs. Happosai. Do I really need to
tell you what's at stake? (first draft finished)
Part the Third : Currently untitled, it tells of Ranma's return visit
to Nerima, to attend a most interesting
wedding...(In planning stages)
Part the Fourth: Succession. Cologne dies, and Ranma is chosen as the
new chieftain. Her selection is not uncontested,
though...(In planning stages)

I perhaps owe an apology to a number of people out there who read "The
Circe Project" and commented, only to receive an "Undeliverable Mail"
message. I posted "Circe" on the same day I left college, and have not
returned until recently. I am making plans for an early draft mailing
list, if anyone is interested.

Thanks to...

Rumiko Takahashi, for creating this magical world called Ranma 1/2.

All those on the ML, in particular John Biles and Chris Willmore,
without whom I probably would have lost my mind sometime in July.

To my ex-roommate, Doug, for talking about the 'fics with me, at
a time when I desperately needed it.

To all those who have sent their comments.

As always, C&C is appreciated.

Other 'fics are coming...

Nicholas Leifker
"Nightelf"