[Ranma][FanFic] Beyond That Way...

Kevin D. Hammel

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
V.02

Ranma 1/2 and its associated characters created by Rumiko Takahashi, no
infringement is intended.

This story picks up just after Scott K. Jamison's "But That Way
Lies..."

Nodoka watched the flames consume the compact her husband and son had
made, as surely as the accursed springs had consumed them. "Kuh Lon, I
will stay in your village until the necessary arrangements have been
made...I would like to take my daughter home."

"You choose a difficult path, warrior, your daughter would know only
happiness here, but I am glad that she will know her mother. Good luck
to you. You and your daughter can stay as my guests until you have
completed arrangements."

-------

The next morning, Nodoka went to see her daughter. Ranma was playing in
the living room with Xian Pu. Nodoka smiled at her.

"Mommy!" Ranma shouted, running to embrace her mother.

"Ranma, would you like to go home with me? I live far from here in a
land called Japan."

"Would I have to leave Piggy-wiggy and Mr. Panda?"

"I don't think they want to come." Nodoka said, knowing they would not
be allowed entry.

"Can my friend Xian Pu come?"

"No, her home is here. Would you please come with me to YOUR home?"
Nodoka pleaded, her eyes shimmering.

"OK, but I have to cry a little." Ranma cried for several minutes, her
mother comforting her.

-------

Nodoka knew she would have to fax documents to the Japanese Embassy,
but she had another task to complete, writing a letter to Genma's
lifelong friend Tendo Soun. She mailed the letter by Air Express on her
first trip to the nearest city.

-------

Tendo Soun,

Greetings from China. I regret to inform you that there was a tragic
training accident which claimed the life of my husband, and your
friend, Genma. Ranma also suffered greatly in the accident, and is now
unfit to marry your daughters. The child is physically and mentally
fit, but has changed. You will need to see what has occurred with your
own eyes, as I have. Could we visit you upon our return to Japan? Ranma
would benefit greatly from the company of your daughters.

Thank You,

Saotome Nodoka

PS
Please find 2000 Yen enclosed to pay for return mail by the fastest
means.

-------

Nodoka had to commute 50 Kilometers each way by bus to fax documents
to, and receive faxes from, the Japanese Embassy. The Japanese
government was reluctant to allow Ranma to "emigrate" from China. The
Saotome Ranma her passport described was clearly not the Saotome Ranma
who wanted to "immigrate" to Japan. It was agreed that Ranma and her
mother would visit the Consulate in Shanghai to discuss the situation
in person in 1 week. The day before she and Ranma were to leave, she
commuted back to the city one last time. There was a tear-stained
letter waiting.

-------

Dear Nodoka,

I am saddened to hear of the tragic passing of my dear friend Genma. My
daughters would be happy to visit with you and Ranma, though I am
puzzled why he is no longer fit for marriage to one of them. Please
call us when you return from China.

Tendo Soun

-------

Beyond that way...
Phoenix Rising

By Kevin D. Hammel

An unofficial continuation of
"But That Way Lies" by Scott Jamison

-------

The young girl was entranced by the view from the train. Vista upon
vista rolled past the window, mountains, forests, fields, and lakes.
Nodoka was happy to see her child enjoying herself. Too soon, for the
younger Saotome, the train reached Shanghai. The Japanese Consulate was
only a 30 minute walk from the station. The two Saotomes checked in to
an inexpensive hotel near the Consulate.

"Mommy, is this home?"

"No, dear, we need to talk to some people across the street about going
home. Let's get ready to visit them."

Nodoka had mail-ordered some clothes on one of her trips to fax
documents, picking them up on a subsequent trip. Ranma traded her
pantsuit and slippers for a jumper, blouse, stockings, and shoes. "Wow!
Thank you for the new clothes, mommy. Am I pretty?"

Nodoka nodded yes, fighting back tears. "Let's go, dear." Her fight was
in vain.

The two Saotomes presented themselves for their eleven o'clock
appointment at 10:45. As the clock struck eleven, a man wearing a
business suit approached them "Mrs. Saotome? I am Mr. Takahashi from
the immigration department. Could I speak to you and your...daughter?"

"Of course."

"Sure!" Ranma said, smiling brightly at the man.

Nodoka was surprised to learn that this was not the first brush that
Japan had with Jusenkyo. A set of procedures to address Ranma's problem
was already in place. The government had already confirmed that Nodoka
had been pregnant only once. A blood test of Ranma and her mother would
prove their relationship. All official documents would be changed to
reflect her new gender if the test proved positive. On a sadder note,
sworn affidavits from the villagers who witnessed Genma's misfortune
were admitted as evidence, and a death certificate was issued. Ranma
did not understand why her mother was crying over a piece of paper, and
Nodoka did not tell her. When the results of the blood tests came in,
mother and daughter were again summoned to the Consulate.

"Hi, Mr. Takahashi!" Ranma smiled at the man.

"Hello, Ranma. My secretary has some candy for you, why don't you visit
with her. I need to talk to your mother."

"OK" she skipped out of the office.

"Mrs. Saotome, sit down. First of all, the blood test proved that you
were Ranma's mother."

"Of course, I knew I was her mother after all."

"I have a new passport for Ranma, and all official documents in Japan
have been changed. Good luck to you, Mrs. Saotome." Takahashi said as
he pushed the documents across his desk to Nodoka.

"Thank you," Nodoka said as she left the room.

Ranma and her mother boarded the next flight to Narita. Ranma was
amazed by the view out the window.

-------

"I sure like Japan! I can understand what all of the people are
saying!" Ranma enthused as she skipped ahead of her mother at the
airport.

"Could you stop for a minute, dear? I need to make a phone call."

Nodoka lifted the phone and inserted a few coins, then dialed the Tendo
residence. "Hello, is your father there?" "This is Mrs. Saotome."
"Hello" "It was a shock to us, too" "Could we meet you in an hour?"
"Thank you." She hung up the phone. "We are going to visit the Tendos,
some friends of your fa...mine. Get ready, Ranma, we are going to ride
on a train again!"

"OK!" Ranma followed her mother to the train station. "I sure like
trains!"

-------

The two Saotomes walked to the door of the Tendo home and knocked. A
girl, who was a little taller, but looked to be about Ranma's age,
opened the door. She had long black hair and was wearing a gi. "Father,
I think your guests are here!"

"Thank you Akane." The voice grew louder as it approached the door.
"Good morning Mrs. Saotome and Ran..." His voice vanished. Tendo Soun
looked with surprise at the girl standing next to Nodoka.

"Hi, Mr. Tendo!" she said brightly, smiling with her eyes alight.

"Akane, could you show my daughter the dojo? I need to talk to your
father."

-------

Soun and the two older Tendo daughters, Kasumi and Nabiki, listened
with horror to Nodoka's tale of the fate of her husband and son. Soun
was soon in tears, followed by Kasumi. Nabiki listened impassively.

"Ranma is going to need a lot of help, she is emotionally 2 months old,
but has a 16 year old mind and body. In honor of my husband, could we
stay with you?"

"Both of you are welcome here. It is the least we can do, to honor
Genma's memory and help you and your daughter adjust."

"I would be delighted to help her!" Kasumi said with genuine joy.

"It's fine with me." Nabiki said in a monotone.

"Thank you, Tendo."

"You are welcome, Saotome."

"I wonder how Ranma and Akane are doing?" Nodoka asked, approaching the
dojo to the sounds of laughter.

-------

Ranma and Akane sat opposite each other talking and laughing. Both had
worked up a sweat, and Ranma's blouse was certainly the worse for wear.

"Hi, mom. Akane's a good fighter. She said she would practice with me,
is that OK?"

"That's fine, dear." So, her daughter was interested in the Art?
Certainly, her body was superbly tuned for martial arts by... her...
Nodoka began to cry.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" Ranma asked, concerned.

"Nothing, dear. Akane, your father would like to have a few words with
you. Let's go inside, Ranma"

"OK!" she chirped, running into the house.

-------

A few minutes later, a sobbing Akane and Soun entered the living room.
Ranma was in the kitchen with "Big Sister" Kasumi eating cookies.
Needless to say, joyous laughter emanated from there.

"Mrs. Saotome, my father told me what happened to Ranma, and that you
two will be staying here for a while. Let me tell you that we all share
your grief."

"Thank you, Akane. Since you are in the same grade as Ranma, you will
need to look after and protect her."

"I realized that, sparring with her. Will she always be like a little
girl?"

"I don't know...I hope not, but you Tendos and I can help her emotional
age catch up with her mind and body."

"I would love to help you! I really like your daughter, and I think we
can become friends."

"Thank you, Akane. I would like Ranma to have more friends like you."
Nodoka smiled.

-------

Nodoka, Ranma, Akane, and Kasumi soon left the Tendo residence to bring
some of Nodoka's personal effects from the Saotome house. Nodoka also
tearfully packed photos of her young son and husband, making sure Ranma
didn't see what she was doing. The four then left the house and
returned to Nerima.

-------

"Ranma! Mrs. Saotome! Please get up, Breakfast will be ready in half an
hour!"

Ranma dragged herself out of bed, quickly washed, and put on one of
Akane's uniforms. It was a little big in some places, and tight across
the chest, but it would have to do. A hurried breakfast later, Akane
and Ranma raced out the door to school.

-------

"Ranma, I might need to fight a few people when we get to school."

"Why do you need to fight people?"

"Well, there is a guy at school who said that anyone who wants to date
me has to defeat me, so there are usually several boys who want to
fight me each morning."

"You DATE boys?" Ranma spat.

"No, I HATE boys, but they think I want to date them."

Conversation was cut short by their arrival at the school.

-------

Members of various and sundry sports clubs awaited Akane just inside
the school entrance. Furinkan High's premier martial artist waded into
the mass of humanity with gusto. It did not take long for the
preliminary cards to be dealt with. It was now time for the Main Event.

A young man holding a bokken was the final obstacle at the entrance to
the school. Bowing to Akane, he intoned "I, upperclassman Kuno
Tatewaki, the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High School greet you. Tendo
Akane, more beautiful than any flower is thy face...Hello, who is this
lovely angel?"

"My name is Saotome Ranma and..."

"BACK OFF Kuno! If you TOUCH her, your eyes will be looking out of the
other side of your head!" Akane was nearly shaking with rage at the
Kendoist.

"...I HATE boys!"

"Fair Akane, thy anger only enhances the beauty that is thine. Consider
the..."

Akane began to attack Kuno with rage. First his bokken was shattered.
He tried to dodge and block with his hands, but could not escape
Akane's fists and kicks. Soon he was down for the count.

"Wow, Akane, you're good! Maybe some boys will want to date me so I can
fight 'em." Ranma giggled.

Somehow, Kuno managed to stand, though he looked very shaky. "I, the
Blue Thunder of Furinkan High, declare that anyone wishing to date with
the lovely Saotome Ranma must defeat her in combat." His speech
concluded, Kuno passed out.

"Be careful what you wish for, Ranma, though it will be nice to have
some help on the girl's team!" Akane winked at her friend.

-------

It was not yet time for class to start. Akane introduced Ranma to the
teacher, who directed Ranma to sit next to Akane. The two students took
their seats.

"Ranma, you will be in all of my classes. Please pay attention to the
teacher and do not talk, even to me."

"But I like you, Akane..."

"When you are in class, you must show respect to your teacher and
classmates by not talking. If you talk, you will embarrass your mother
and me."

"OK, I'll do it for Mom and you, Akane!" Ranma did not sound too sure
of herself.

Each class that morning was much the same to Ranma. Akane would remind
her of her duty to keep quiet. The teacher would introduce her, then
talk and write on the board. Ranma was very quiet during classes, and
actually found that the teachers had quite a few interesting things to
say. Soon it was time for lunch.

"You have been a very good girl this morning, Ranma. I am very proud of
you!"

"Thank you, Akane!" Ranma beamed.

They enjoyed the delicious lunch boxes that Kasumi had prepared for
them.

The afternoon was much the same, and was capped off by Ranma's favorite
class, Physical Education. When they went outside, Ranma was in her
element. This class made all the boring schoolwork worthwhile, well,
almost...

"I like school. Thank you for helping me today, Akane."

"You were a VERY good girl today, Ranma. Let's go home, OK?"

-------

As could be expected, at the first school assembly, Kuno declared that
any who wished to date Saotome Ranma had to defeat her in combat. Ranma
was delighted to fight side by side with her friend Akane each morning.

Schoolwork went well, one period at a time, for Akane and Ranma. Ranma
was well behaved and attentive. After two weeks, Akane requested that
Ranma sit on the other side of the class from her, and Ranma remained
quiet and interested despite their separation. After the first day they
sat apart, Ranma asked Akane "Am I a big girl now, Akane?"

"We'll see, Ranma, we'll see."

After a month, Akane was wondering if Ranma might be a big girl after
all.

At the end of the term, Ranma's grades were proof.

-------

The night of the first term grades was a night of celebration. While
Soun, Ranma, and the younger Tendos continued celebrating in the living
room, Nodoka and Kasumi cleaned up the aftermath in the dining room.

"Kasumi, you have been the mother in this household since you were 9 or
10. Have you considered doing more with your life than keeping house?"

"What do you mean?"

"I was last a mother 10 years ago, and would relish the opportunity to
be one again. Kasumi, have you ever thought of expanding your horizons,
going to college perhaps?"

"Yes, but my family needs me!"

"Kasumi, get a life! You deserve it; especially after all you have done
for your family. Please let me take up the slack, so you can be a young
woman before...you aren't young anymore." Nodoka looked down as she
finished the sentence.

"Thank you, Mrs. Saotome, I will!" As Kasumi wondered what she could do
for Nodoka, she began to grin. Perhaps she could do something for ALL
of them, but she needed some help...

-------

There was a knock at the door. Akane rose to answer it. "Hello."

"Hello, is Saotome Ranma in? I heard he lives here." The speaker was a
fairly tall young man with long brown hair. He was wearing a bandoleer
with SPATULAS (??) in it.

"Yes, Ranma lives here."

In one fluid motion, the boy drew a gigantic spatula from a holster on
his back. "We have some unfinished business to discuss."

Akane assumed her combat stance.

-------

Beyond that way...
Here's Ukyou

-------

Nodoka saw the youth draw his weapon, and fetched the Saotome family
blade. She whispered to Ranma as she passed "I hope the blade impresses
him, my skill will not." She approached the boy at the door. "I am her
mother, what do you want with her?"

"Ranma and his father walked out on me 10 years ago, I have suffered
greatly as a result. He and his father must answer for what they have
done to me!"

Ranma had soundlessly come to her mother's side, and assumed her combat
stance. "I am Saotome Ranma, and you are?"

The boy regarded the girl who stood beside her mother "You are not
Ranma! Where is he?"

Nodoka lowered her blade. "It seems we have some things to discuss
Mr..."

"Kuonji Ukyou"

"Please, come in and be seated."

Ukyou entered the house, holstered the spatula, and sat opposite the
Tendos and Saotomes.

"Now Ukyou, as our guest, I will let you choose: would you like to hear
our story first, or will you tell us your own?"

"Yours, please."

First, Nodoka looked at her daughter. "Ranma, Akane said you feel you
are a big girl now, do you truly think you are?"

"Yes, mother. I have done well in school this term, and am well behaved
in class, just like a big girl is supposed to!" Ranma smiled at her
mother.

"Ranma, there are some things I haven't told you, if they upset you,
please remember you are a big girl now. Akane and Kasumi, perhaps you
would like to sit beside Ranma."

The two Tendo daughters flanked Ranma on either side, each holding one
of her hands.

"Nabiki, could you get the documents?"

There MIGHT have been a grimace of pain on her usually emotionless
face. "Yes, Mrs. Saotome." she said, walked upstairs, then returned a
minute later holding a manila folder.

"Have you heard of Jusenkyo, Mr. Kuonji?"

"No"

"Consider yourself blessed. There is no one in this house who is not
haunted by that hellish place."

"My husband, Saotome Genma", Ukyou's lip quivered at the mention, "and
my son Ranma went there to train. I went there searching for them. The
pools at this horrid place change the body and mind of any who have the
misfortune to fall in them to that of the first creature to drown in a
given pool. My husband fell into the spring where an animal drowned.
His human mind became that of an animal."

Nabiki showed the young man Genma's death certificate.

Ukyou looked up from the paper with horror into Ranma's eyes, and saw
in them why this girl had his name. "You ARE Ran-chan"... He wept
uncontrollably. "My life is over...over."

Ranma looked at her mother, tears in her eyes. "Your son fell into the
pool where a girl had drowned and became me! My life cost your son
his!" Ranma screamed, and was nearly hysterical. The guilt and horror
she felt at that moment were too much for her. She fainted.

"Ranma!" Akane shouted. "Do you want your mother to lose her daughter
too? If you are a big girl, you must be strong for her!"

The unconscious girl in her arms did not hear her.

Kasumi hugged Ranma fiercely "We love you, Ranma, please don't leave
us! Aren't you a big girl?"

Ranma's breathing became more regular. Her tear-stained eyes opened. "I
am a big girl. I am your big girl." She looked at her mother... She
seemed to be thinking, then came to a decision, her face brightening.
"I am sorry for YOUR loss, mother, but if they were here, I would not
be. I cannot be sad for them. Please forgive me." She looked at the
floor.

Nodoka lifted her daughter into an embrace. "Ranma, that is exactly how
I feel, now. I wish I could mourn them, but I love you so much!" She
could say no more, and set her daughter back down.

Kasumi got up and went upstairs. Akane wrapped her arms around Ranma
and hugged her. There was silence for several minutes. Kasumi returned
with towlette dispenser on a tray. Several in the room tried to refresh
themselves.

After a few more minutes, Ranma looked at Ukyou and asked, "So, Ukyou,
what is your story?"

"When I was a child, every day my friend Ran-chan would try to steal
okonomiyaki off my dad's cart. I would battle him, but always seemed to
lose. I grew to love Ranma."

Looks of surprise filled the room.

"What were you thinking, child? How could you love my son?"

"I was not, at the time, a boy. Please let me finish my story."

"My father told Genma that I wanted to marry Ranma, and offered his
food cart as dowry. Genma said that he would sanction the marriage. As
proof of their intentions, I would be taken with them to train. They
took me a short distance, then left me behind, taking the food cart."

"My father decided on that day that his daughter had dishonored him,
but if she became his son...So, I became a boy and devoted myself to
martial arts cooking hoping to restore my honor by avenging myself on
Ranma and Genma. Because of what happened to Ranma and Genma, my honor
can never be restored." She finished in tears.

"Ukyou, if you had gone with them, imagine what would have become of
you. At best, your father would have a child who did not remember him,
at worst..." Nodoka could not finish the sentence.

"Well, Genma always did think best with his stomach!" Soun said with
good humor.

"I can't believe that Saotome creep was ever a friend of yours, Daddy."

"Father, how could you ever be a friend of such a man? Ukyou, how did
you become a boy?"

"I am legally a boy. Every morning, I bind my chest so my body will not
reveal my secret."

Ranma look on the verge of tears again. Akane tried to comfort her
"It's not your fault, Ranma."

Ranma got up "I know it's not my fault, Akane, but it is my
responsibility. Nabiki, I need to talk to you." Ranma and Nabiki went
up the stairs and entered the latter's room. Ranma glanced at Ukyou and
closed the door.

"What was that about?" Ukyou wondered.

The only sound in the living room was the muffled murmurs from
upstairs. Nabiki's door opened. Ranma carried an envelope, smiling at
Ukyou. Nabiki followed behind, looking almost pleased.

"What were you two up to?"

Ranma read from a piece of paper. "I asked Nabiki for a loan, against
future income, for the price of a food cart plus interest." She looked
up. "I think we need to visit Ukyou's father."

"Indeed, Ranma, perhaps we can erase another mark on the Saotome clan's
honor caused by the growl of Genma's stomach."

Ukyou walked over to Ranma and hugged her.

-------

On the train to Kyoto, Ukyou tried to give the Saotomes some background
on the man they were going to meet. "After the cart had been taken, my
father became single-mindedly devoted to business, as I was to martial
arts cooking. We both lived to be in a position to have our revenge on
the Saotomes. His business has become quite successful, but in his
devotion to it he has no time for me, just as I have no time for him."
Ukyou looked at Ranma. "I hope that your plan will be able to change
that. Thank you, Ran-ma."

Ranma considered what Ukyou said as she watched the world fly by her
window.

-------

The appointment was at 9:00 AM at the headquarters of Kuonji
Mercantile, a successful importer of exotic foodstuffs. Ranma, Nodoka
and Ukyou presented themselves to Mr. Kuonji's secretary at 8:55.

"Ukyou, nice to see you. Your father is expecting you and your friends.
Please be seated."

The door opened an precisely 9:00.

"He will see you now."

-------

Two women and a boy entered the office, with Ranma closing the door.

The man rose "Hello, Ukyou, I always appreciate a visit for you." He
turned to Nodoka and Ranma. "I am Ukyou's Father, Mister Kuonji"

"Saotome Nodoka. I am pleased to meet you." Nodoka bowed.

"Saotome Ranma. Good morning, sir." Ranma bowed.

"I see, are you any relation to Saotome Genma?"

"I was his wife."

"I was his son."

"What proof do you have of these ridiculous assertions? Ukyou, what is
the meaning of this!"

"Listen to them father, as I have. Then you must listen to Ranma's
proposal."

"Very well."

"Mr. Kuonji, have you ever heard of Jusenkyo..."

Ukyou's father stared at Ranma, then at the legal documents, test
results, and photographs, trying to reconcile what he saw with what he
read. At last, he was satisfied.

Ranma rose and approached the desk with an envelope. She handed it to
Kuonji. "In this envelope, you will find the cost of a food cart plus
accrued interest. It is my hope that this will restore your daughter's
honor."

The man seemed to be sorting through the bills in the envelope,
smiling, he pulled out a perfect 100-yen note. "Honor is not something
you can purchase, but you have shown it in great measure, Saotome
Ranma. I will take this bill to remind me of the honor of the Saotome
clan. You have redeemed my daughter's honor." He grinned broadly, and
gave Ranma back the envelope. "I am sorry, I have other business. Would
the three of you please join me for lunch at noon today?"

The three women left the room.

Ranma turned to a grinning Ukyou. "We need to go shopping."

-------

Mr. Kuonji was VERY surprised and pleased when he saw his daughter come
with her two friends to the lunch date. Nodoka had helped her choose a
beautiful new outfit. They ate at an okonomiyaki shop across the
street. No small amount of time was spent by Ukyou and her father
arguing good-naturedly about exactly how much better each of them could
make okonomiyaki than the restaurant.

-------

It was going to be a long train ride, and Ranma still liked trains, but
she had a friend to talk to this time.

"Ran-chan... is it all right if I call you that?"

"Is it OK if I call you Ucchan?"

The two girls giggled.

"Ran-chan, I was wondering if you might like to help out at my cafe. I
need some help, and perhaps you might like to learn some martial arts
cooking techniques."

"I will, on one condition. Akane and I would like to learn more about
your combat spatulas. Could you give us a demonstration at the Tendo
dojo, Ucchan? We might even want some instruction."

"Of course! Will you help in my cafe, Ran-chan?"

Ranma echoed what her predecessor had said "I will, I like okonomiyaki
AND Ukyou!"

"Thank you."

Ranma looked out the window at the changing landscape flying by.

-------

Beyond that way...
Photo Shopper

-------

Ranma liked the order in her life. On school days she rose early and
worked out with Akane, then she ate breakfast and ran to school with
her friend. Neither of them even bothered with any of the idiots
waiting outside anymore, a couple of dodges and leaps and they were
inside the building. Order continued during class, Ranma getting
through each period in time to go through the next. Then it was
homework time and off to work. Finally, to bed. On weekends, there was
sparring and work. Another term would be over in a few weeks.

One day, everything changed. Ranma showed up at Ukyou's cafe at the
usual time, but her friend looked glum. "What's wrong?" Ranma asked.

"My dad called and wants me to return home to Kyoto and attend an all
girl's school. I must admit it seems like a good idea, I am a bit out
of practice..." She grinned at Ranma, then noticed the concerned
expression on her face. "Ran-chan, you'll be alright, We can write each
other, and I can stay with you over school breaks. Since my dad wants
me to go to college, perhaps we can go to the same school."

"Its going to be hard, but I'm a big girl now, so I'll be OK!" Ranma
tried to smile and failed miserably.

Work wasn't as much fun as it normally was.

A few days later, Ranma saw a photo fall from Kuno's briefcase. It was
a photo of herself, sleeping. Ranma could think of only one person who
could do this to her, and she thought she was her friend.

"Nabiki, what is the meaning of THIS?" Ranma shouted, throwing the
photo down in front of the middle Tendo sister.

"Ranma, please believe me, I used to sell Kuno photos, but I have long
since stopped. I decided I didn't want to see you get hurt, though I
see you are doing a good job of that yourself"

"What was that supposed to mean?"

"When you first came here, you were happy. We enjoyed talking and
playing with you, now you are a workaholic whose day is planned, from
dawn to dusk."

"Well, I don't want to be a free-loading house guest!"

"A free-loading house guest? Don't you realize what you and your mother
have brought to this house? Kasumi is going to college, because your
mom told her to get a life, and took over her housekeeping
responsibilities. Akane had been full of rage since our mother's death,
but when you came, she showed a tender side none of us knew she had.
She seems happy, now. I admit the same thing happened to me. I closed
up when my mother died; my only concern was wealth, achieved by any
means. But when you came, this innocent girl who needed our constant
attention at first, you even caused me to think of someone other than
myself. And have you seen our parents lately...

Ranma, you need to do something more with you life. Go to a park
sometime, a movie, visit the seashore or a temple, go for a walk around
the block, that special person we all loved is fading away. Ranma, get
a life!" NABIKI was crying.

"Nabiki, my workaholic days are over. Ukyou's cafe has been sold by her
father, and will close at the end of the term. She will return to Kyoto
to attend an all-girls school. Though I didn't spend my free time as
you suggest, I will always treasure the time I spent with Ucchan."

Ranma sensed others in the room, Akane, Ukyou, and Kasumi entered,
closing the door behind.

"We have some things to discuss..." Kasumi said with an almost evil
grin.

-------

Beyond that way...
Perfect Disaster

-------

Saotome Nodoka wondered what she had gotten herself into. Here she was,
standing outside a darkened cafe, looking at a closed sign. She heard
footsteps inside. Ukyou opened the door "Good evening Mrs. Saotome, I
seem you are dressed as we requested."

The restaurant was not quite completely dark, as one table was lit.
There was a man she knew very well sitting at it, Tendo Soun. "Well
Tendo, what did they tell you?"

"That there was a meeting I had to attend of vital importance to the
family. I was given this address, and told to be sure and dress
appropriately."

"I was told the same."

Ukyou approached the table, presenting the two people with menus "What
would you care for tonight? Everything is on the house."

When the meal was over, Nabiki came over and presented the two
astonished people with an envelope with what appeared to be a bill.
Soun opened it and found 2 tickets to the symphony, and all of the
appropriate tickets required to get there and back.

"You two had better get going."

"Can we pay our respects to the chef?" Nodoka asked

Kasumi, Akane, and Ranma came out and bowed.

"I am not surprised. The food was excellent! Even the curried pickles
were an... intriguing variation on an old favorite. I guess we should
go, Nodoka."

The last two customers left the restaurant and caught a train downtown.

-------

"Oh my! Can you believe the news?" Ranma, the Tendo daughters, and
Ukyou were watching the TV news. It seemed that downtown Tokyo had been
hit by a blackout, which lasted 2 hours. "All of that planning,
ruined."

Feeling much like parents concerned about their children who had been
out too late, five women wearing nightgowns and bathrobes waited for
the arrival of the couple they had sent out on a "perfect" date. About
two in the morning, they heard footsteps, talking and laughter
approaching the door, which then opened.

"You two had us worried to death!" Kasumi told Nodoka and Soun.

"Please don't ground us, we will be home earlier next time." Nodoka
replied, smiling.

"Did you have a good time?" Ranma asked.

"We had an... unforgettable night. It started so well. The seats you
purchased were superb, Nabiki. Then, the lights went out. We had to
hike in semi-darkness, about 4 kilometers to the nearest operating
train station. We then took the train back to Nerima, and spent the
last two hours talking at an all-night ramen shop down the street."
Nodoka looked almost out of breath after that description of the night.

"But the company I kept made it all worthwhile." Soun looked at Nodoka
and smiled.

"Thank you, all of you, for finally getting us to admit what we have
known for some time." Nodoka said, looking into Soun's eyes.

They kissed, and there was much rejoicing.

"I'm turning in, I need to catch a train tom...tonight." Ukyou finally
said. She and Ranma were sleeping in Ranma's room for one last night
together. Ranma followed her friend upstairs.

-------

Though it was a little later that normal, the usual strange sounds
which rang out when Ukyou visited came from the dojo. Soun and Nodoka
watched the strange spectacle as Ukyou instructed Ranma and Akane on
the ancient and honored art of Battle Spatula combat.

It was hard to tell who was more skilled, Ukyou noted, but they had
both mastered her weapon of choice. Ukyou was proud of her two
students.

After a few more minutes of practice, the three tired girls quit for
the day.

"Don't forget to practice, while I'm away," Ukyou told her two friends.

"We won't," Ranma and Akane chorused.

"After you three get cleaned up, how about lunch before we head to the
station?"

"Great!" said Ranma.

The three headed for the bathroom.

-------

Ranma looked a little sad at the train station. "Goodbye Ucchan"

Akane walked up. "Hey you two, I purchased 2 roundtrip tickets, so we
can go to Kyoto with Ukyou. What do you say, Ranma?"

"Thanks, Akane, let's go!"

There were now three passengers saying goodbye to the rest, though two
would be back tomorrow.

-------

Beyond that way...
A new family

-------

Ranma and Akane paused in their daily workout. They had pushed each
other to greater and greater heights each day.

"Has it really only been one year? It seems like a lifetime!"

"One year HAS been my lifetime, baka-chan." Ranma smirked.

"Let's get ready." Akane smiled at Ranma

-------

It was a simple legal service. The bride and her daughter stood to one
side of the window; the groom and his three daughters stood to the
other. Each marked the document that would declare them wed.

Ukyou had taken the train from Kyoto and watched.

After the clerk checked the document, he spoke "I have an additional
announcement to make. Yesterday, the adoption of Saotome Ranma by Tendo
Soun was approved. It seems all of you are a family now,
congratulations."

Ranma looked with joy into her mother's eyes, her father's, then each
of her sisters. Her smile could have lit all of Tokyo.

Nodoka was pleased; her daughter was not a man among men, but had honor
her father never had. The pact burned in a Chinese fire was fulfilled,
in spirit if not word, though neither the boy nor the man who signed it
was there to see it...Her daughter was, however, and that was more than
enough.

(END)

What can I say? I wanted to provide a happy ending to Scott Jamison's
"But That Way Lies..." Scott decided it was 'unofficial' because it
doesn't really match the mood of his story, but he *did* provide
excellent C&C.

I actually wrote this several months ago, but *finally* decided to post
it...

Comments to kha...@mail.geocities.com

Kevin D. Hammel

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98