[Ranma][Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ranma Episode #27

Saotome Ranma

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

I've been waiting
Since the world stood still
A picture in my mind
An image left behind
I love you and always will

All I needed was a miracle
To see that I was wrong
Yeah, all I needed was a miracle
To realize what was going on

'Cause in this world
There is only one
And in this life
Under the sun
In this heart
Is the life of love

In this heart
Is the life of love

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Daigakusei no Ranma |
| |
| Created by David Tai and Paul Gallegos |
| |
| Based on the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

-= Episode 27: "When Kazuyo's Away, Choji Will Play!" =-

[The sun shines brightly on Maison Sabaku, and the sunlight streams through
the window of Room 4. Ranma turns over in his sleep and rests his arm on the
pillow next to him. Feeling nothing but pillow under his arm, he slowly opens
one eye to survey the room. Soft humming and the sounds of food being grilled
emanate from the kitchen. Ranma slowly gets up out of bed and stretches
before grabbing a set of clothes from the closet and walking into the bathroom.
Twenty minutes later, he emerges from the bathroom fully dressed, hair combed,
looking ready to face the day. He walks over to the kitchen table and sits
down to a place setting and a glass of orange juice. Immediately, Ukyou walks
over with a plate full of steaming miniature okonomiyaki and serves him two.
She then sits next to him as he begins to eat.]

Ukyou: [smiling] Good morning, love. How'd you sleep?

Ranma: [in between bites] Great! One of the few times so far that I haven't
tossed and turned all night.

Ukyou: That's good to hear. You needed your sleep. [runs hand through his
hair] I made you a lunch in case you didn't have time to go to the
cafeteria today.

Ranma: [nods, swallows food] Good. How much time do I have before Bio class?

Ukyou: [glances at clock above stove] Oh, don't worry, you have enough time.
[pauses, then smiles slyly] In fact, there's more than enough time for
other things too... [wiggles eyebrows]

Ranma: [grins] Well, now that you mention it... [leans closer]

Ukyou: Oh? [leans closer] And what did you have in mind? [smiles]

[A pounding on the door is heard.]

Ranma: [mumbles] Go 'way!

[He leans forward and turns his head slightly, intending to kiss Ukyou. She
closes her eyes, and ... the pounding on the door becomes slightly more
insistent.]

Ranma: [louder] Go 'WAY!

[Suddenly, extreme pain blinds Ranma's vision. He opens his eyes again and
finds that he is in bed again, and Akane, asleep, has her elbow in his
forehead. He gently removes it, and she turns over onto her side and shivers
unconsciously. He leans over and pulls the covers up over her that she had
kicked off sometime in the night. Kissing the back of her neck, he steals a
quick glance at the alarm clock, which reads 3:56 am, then lies back,
staring at the ceiling.]

Ranma: [thinking] What the hell?

* * *

[Choji Ketibeppu is asleep on his bed, his head buried under several pillows,
and his sheets are strewn about everywhere. The room itself is dark, save for
the soft green LCD lights from his many pieces of electronic equipment. A
knock is heard at the door. Choji immediately reaches over and hits his alarm
clock, which reads "4:15". Another knock is heard, and this time Choji sits
up, bleary-eyed, and looks at the door. Cautiously he gets up and walks over
to the door, opening it just a fraction. Kazuyo Furuya is standing there
patiently.]

Choji: [softly] Kanrinin-san. Is there a problem?

Kazuyo: Heavens no, Ketibeppu-san. I'm sorry to wake you so early this
morning, but I have to leave right away for Kazurao. [face falls
slightly] My niece is very ill and I must go to her right away.

Choji: My sympathies, Kanrinin-san. [pauses] Is there anything I can do to
help?

Kazuyo: [brightens] Now that you ask, I need someone to be here this
afternoon when the repairman comes to fix the laundry machine.
[starts counting on fingers] Then of course there's the daily mail
pickup, sweeping the walk, raking the yard of leaves...

Choji: [sweat drop] ...

Kazuyo: Normally I'd just ask Sato-san if he'd take care of this, but he does
not seem to be home at present.

Choji: [thinking] Or maybe he just didn't want to answer his door.

Kazuyo: In any case, would it be too much trouble? I'd only be away three or
four days at the most.

Choji: [sighs] I suppose, if it's only for a couple of days.

Kazuyo: [smiles] Thank you, Ketibeppu-san!

[She turns and heads back down the hall. Choji closes the door and slowly
lumbers across the room, falling into bed heavily.]

* * *

[The alarm clock next to the bed reads "6:30". A pounding is heard at the
door. Choji grumpily gets up to answer it.]

Choji: [opening door] Whaddya want?!?!

[Toshi Yamakawa stands outside the door, nonplussed.]

Toshi: [plainly] You need to fix the hot water heater. It's broken.

Choji: [blinks, then looks at his alarm clock] It's 6:30 in the morning!

Toshi: Kanrinin-san always takes care of these problems early.

Choji: [sighs] Ok, ok, let me get my pants on. [closes door]

* * *

[The alarm clock next to the bed reads "8:09". Another pounding is heard at
the door. Choji, fully dressed, leaps out of bed to answer it.]

Choji: [opening door] What the... oh, Saotome-san.

Ranma: Hey Choji-san. There's a person downstairs that says he is here to fix
the washing machine? I've got to get going to class, but he's waiting
on the porch for you.

Choji: [nods] Thank you. [pauses] How'd you know to ask me?

Ranma: [matter-of-factly] Kanrinin-san left a note on her door.

Choji: Oh.

[Ranma strolls back to the stairs and heads down. Choji closes his door and
straightens his clothing, combs his hair quickly, then heads downstairs.]

* * *

[Hitomi opens her door to find Choji bent over in the hallway trying to fix
the doorknob to the laundry room, his pants a little too loose for his
current... position.]

Hitomi: Ok, raise your hand if "Ew!"

[Choji quickly straightens up and drops his screwdriver on his bare foot.]

Choji: [grimacing in pain] Good morning, Hitomi-chan.

Hitomi: [peers at Choji] What are you up to?

Choji: [picking up screwdriver] I'm fixing the doorknob. It's stuck.

Hitomi: Why don't you just tell Kanrinin-san? She knows how to fix it.

Choji: She's out of town for the next couple of days. She asked me to take
care of the place while she's gone.

Hitomi: [eyes widen] She WHAT?

Choji: [smugly] You heard right.

Hitomi: Why didn't she ask me? Or Yamakawa-san? Or Sato-san? Or...

Choji: [interrupting] Right, well you can ask her when she gets back. In the
meantime, if you have a problem, let me know.

Hitomi: [closes and locks her door behind her] Uh... sure. [looks at her
bare wrist] Well! I'm late! Gotta run!

[Choji smirks as Hitomi walks quickly past him and out the front door. At the
same time, Akane makes her way downstairs with a full laundry basket.]

Akane: [cheerfully] Good morning, Choji-san!

Choji: [grins] How are you today?

Akane: [walks into laundry room] Fine. No classes this morning, so I thought
I'd get some of these dirty clothes taken care of.

Choji: [nods] Makes sense.

Akane: How about you? What are you doing?

Choji: [wide grin] Kanrinin-san had to attend to her niece in Kazurao, so she
left me in charge.

[Akane gives him a strange look.]

Choji: [sheepishly] I think it was because I was the only one who answered
the door this morning... [hand behind head]

Akane: [smiles] Well, now! I do hope everything's ok. [turns back to the
laundry] Let Ranma know if you need any help!

[She pulls out a blouse stained with chocolate and other assorted goodies and
starts to apply pre-soak detergent to it. Choji watches with interest.]

Choji: How'd you get all that on that tiny little blouse?

Akane: [grimaces] Let's just say that food fights in cafeterias are not the
best places to be in the middle of.

Choji: [incredulous] A food fight at a university?

Akane: [nods] Yeah. Apparently, someone or many someones had too much sake the
night before while watching that gaijin movie "Animal House". They
decided to have some fun in the caf' yesterday afternoon.

Choji: [to himself] I think I have that movie somewhere... [aloud] That's too
bad. I hope it comes clean.

Akane: Me too. Otherwise I owe Kasumi-oneechan a new blouse. [begins loading
laundry into the washer]

Choji: Kasumi? Your older sister? [watches as Akane throws several bras into
the washer] The one that's stack... er, studying at the other college?

Akane: [unnoticing] Yeah.

[She finishes putting dirty clothes in the laundry and adds some detergent.
Then she closes the lid and turns back to the blouse on the counter.]

Akane: [holds up blouse] I hope that'll do it. [to Choji] Would you mind
throwing this in with the rest of the clothes in about ten minutes?
I have something in the oven.

[Akane walks out of the laundry room.]

Choji: [calls after her] Oi! How'd you know I'd be here ten minutes from now?

Akane: [as she walks upstairs] You're trying to fix the doorknob, ne?

[Choji face-faults]

* * *

[Afternoon. Choji relaxes on his bed, watching a steamy video. Just as the
action on the screen starts to heat up, a knock is heard.]

Choji: [grumbles] Of course.

[Choji gets up to peek out the door. Toshi is again standing outside the
door.]

Choji: What?

Toshi: [plainly] My toilet's plugged up.

Choji: ...

* * *

[An hour later.]

Choji: [closing door behind him] How much stuff can an old man break in one
day? [throws plunger into bathroom]

Voice: [from in hall] I heard that!

Choji: ...

[A tapping is heard from the window. Choji turns to see Ranma sitting on the
small windowsill. He walks over to open the window.]

Ranma: [holding out several VCR tapes] These are yours, I think.

Choji: Wha? How'd... oh yeah, I gave those to you when my Mom came by, ne?

Ranma: [nods] And I'd appreciate it if you took them back. [starts to turn
red] I don't think they're appropriate...

Choji: [grins] Of course they are. Especially to a newlywed couple such as
yourselves.

Ranma: [indignant] We're not newlyweds!

Choji: [raises eyebrow] Could've fooled me, especially last night.

[Ranma turns several shades of embarrassment.]

Ranma: [thinking] I _told_ her to use the pillow, but no-o-o-o....

Choji: Anyway, thanks for holding on to these. I owe you one.

Ranma: Er... Forget it. Least I could do. [shrugs] Anyway, I gotta get going.

Choji: [nods] Later.

[Ranma flips himself up onto the roof and disappears. Not three seconds
later, someone knocks at Choji's door.]

Choji: [opens door] Tokyo Station!

Akane: [looks quizzically at Choji] Are you feeling ok?

Choji: [thinks] Humor is completely lost on this one. [aloud] What can I do
for you? [thoughts turn to hidden cameras]

Akane: Well, I.. um... the kitchen sink's not draining. Can you fix it?

[Choji face-faults.]

* * *

[Another hour later. Choji returns to his apartment soaking wet. He closes
the door behind himself and takes off his shirt.]

Choji: Just what the heck does Akane-san pour down the garbage disposal
anyway?

[As he begins to take off his wet pants, he hears someone at the door.]

Choji: Of course.

[He opens the door to find Hitomi in the hallway wearing a tank top and
cutoff shorts. She gives him the once-over.]

Hitomi: [giggles] Have an accident, Choji-chan?

Choji: [nonplussed] Faulty sink. What do you need?

Hitomi: To get into the laundry room. The door's locked. [pauses] I thought
you fixed the doorknob?

Choji: ...

* * *

[Ranma is walking along a busy street, heading home from the Mizunoikan
campus. He stops at an intersection for a red light for a moment, then as
the light turns green, he continues forward. However, a hand reaches out
and grabs the back of his shirt, pulling him from the street back onto the
sidewalk. At that same moment, a car rounds the corner at a high rate of
speed, oblivious to the stoplight it just ran, and continues down the
street, missing Ranma by mere inches. Ranma turns around to see Sato holding
onto the back of his shirt with a death grip.]

Ranma: Um, thanks, Sato-san... you can let go now.

Sato: Oh! [releases shirt] Are you alright?

Ranma: [nods] Yeah. How'd you know...?

Sato: I was coming out of the art store here [gestures to store on corner]
after purchasing some drawing supplies and paint, and I saw you walk
by. As I got the corner, I dropped my paintbrushes, and when I stopped
to pick them up, I saw the car coming from down the block.

Ranma: [lets out a low whistle] So you didn't know it was going to happen
this morning or anything, right?

Sato: [chuckles] No, Saotome-san. I cannot predict the future.

Ranma: [looks over Sato's shoulder] Well, I'm willing to bet that those girls
there would like to ask you questions anyway.

[Sato gets a hunted look on his face and turns to see a bevy of women walking
toward him. When they see his face, many scream and start running to catch up
to him.]

Sato: [swallows hard] How about we continue this conversation later? There is
something I wish to discuss with you. [begins to run down the street
away from the women]

Ranma: [calling after him] What's it about?

Sato: [over his shoulder] Dreams!

[Ranma stands incredulous as the group of women race past him in their attempt
to catch Sato. He watches them all run down the street for several minutes.]

Ranma: [thinking] Damn it, why's he always showing up when something weird
happens to me?

* * *

[Ranma walks up the front stairs and opens the door just as Hitomi comes
rushing outside, her work uniform untucked and blouse open about halfway
down her chest. Ranma stares for a moment as Hitomi stops to check her
purse.]

Ranma: A-ah, um...

Hitomi: [looks up] Hmm? [brightens] Ranma! How are you? [notices Ranma's
expression] What? What what?

Ranma: [slowly points to Hitomi's blouse] I- I think that...

Hitomi: [glances down] Eek!

[She blushes deep crimson and turns around, hastily trying to button her
blouse. A camera's shutter click can be heard from the upstairs windows.]

Ranma: Er... are you in a hurry?

Hitomi: [turns around] Uh... yes. I'm going to be late for work. Choji "fixed"
the door to the laundry room, but only Kanrinin-san has the key, so
all my uniforms were locked in the dryer.

Ranma: [nods] So how'd you get your uniform?

[Hitomi points to a small window, barely large enough for someone of her
height to climb through.]

Hitomi: Anyway, I've got to get to work. [snaps fingers] That reminds me,
are you and Akane-san doing anything Saturday evening? Choji wanted
me to ask you for him.

Ranma: [shrugs] I'll talk to Akane.

[Hitomi begins to hurry down the walk.]

Hitomi: Ok, then! See ya later!

Ranma: [waves] Bye!

[With a cautious look around the inside of the front door, Ranma enters Maison
Sabaku.]

* * *

[Dinnertime. Ranma and Akane sit at the table eating stir-fry vegetables and
ramen noodles. Both are studying as they eat, though occasionally Ranma
wipes excess sauce off his notes.]

Akane: [glancing up] Want more?

Ranma: [nods] Right.

[Akane gets up, taking Ranma's plate with her into the kitchen.]

Ranma: [aloud] Did Choji-san talk to you today?

[A clatter of dishes is heard.]

Ranma: Akane?

Akane: [loudly] Everything's ok!

Ranma: [pauses] Well, did he?

Akane: [glances at the garbage disposal] Yeah, sort of.

Ranma: What'd he say?

Akane: [nervously] Nothing much... why do you ask?

[Akane returns to the table with Ranma's second helping of food.]

Ranma: [shrugs] Just curious. Hitomi-chan said that Choji-san wanted to ask
us something. Thought he might've talked to you since I haven't seen
him since this morning.

Akane: No... no, he didn't ask me anything.

Ranma: Hmm. Well... what are we doing Saturday evening?

Akane: [blinks] Umm, Kasumi was going to come over and cook dinner for us
and Murata-san. Why?

Ranma: [shudders at the thought of Yuriko] Maybe that's what Choji-san
wanted to ask us.

Akane: Why would he want to see Kasumi? [remembers earlier conversation]
Unless he wants to MEET Kasumi...

[Before Ranma can reply, the phone rings. He gets up to answer it.]

Ranma: Hello? [pauses] Hi Nabiki, what's up? [pauses] Oh? [pauses] Well, I
don't know. [looks at Akane and points to phone] I'd have to ask her.

Akane: Ask me what?

Ranma: [motions for her to keep quiet] When? [pauses] But we're already...
[pauses] What? [incredulous] You're kidding. [sighs] Well, you need to
talk to your sister because I'm not the one... [pauses] Fine. Call us
back then. Bye!

Akane: [impatiently] So?

Ranma: Your sister wanted to know if she could have "a couple of people" over
for dinner Saturday night. Seems that the place she was going to
take these clients to unexpectedly closed down due to some silly health
code violation.

Akane: [looks around] Did she say how many people?

Ranma: Just "a couple".

Akane: Well, why'd you say for her to talk to me and then hang up the phone?

Ranma: Not you... Kasumi. I wanted her to call Kasumi to make sure she knows
that we'd have extra guests.

Akane: [nods] Well, let's see... [counts on fingers] Kasumi, Yuriko, you, me,
Nabiki, plus maybe three others... That makes eight people. Where are
we going to do this?

Ranma: [looks around] My question is, why don't we just do it at Nabiki's
place? Her apartment is much bigger than ours.

Akane: [nods] Good point. I'll ask her after I finish studying.

[Ranma finishes his dinner, then gets up with his plate and enters the kitchen
to dump the leftovers in the garbage disposal.]

Ranma: Disposal's running quieter lately. Must've finally unclogged whatever
it was down there.

Akane: ...

* * *

[In Room 3, Choji is digging through a pile of old American videotapes.]

Choji: [mumbling] I know it's in here somewhere... ah! Here it is!

[He holds aloft a copy of "Animal House".]

Choji: [thinking] Hmm. Now that I think about it, a party might not be a bad
idea... especially with the lack of cash lately. The question is...
[looking around] how do I get everyone else out of the place?

[He stands up and brushes himself off. Straightening his shirt, he opens the
door to find Toshi there, about to knock.]

Choji: Oh. It's you.

Toshi: That's just how I think of you.

Choji: What do you want now?

Toshi: Well, seeing as how you are watching Maison Sabaku while Furuya-san
is away, I'd like to ask you if you'd also make sure my mail and
deliveries are also taken care of.

Choji: Why is that? Are you going somewhere?

Toshi: As a matter of fact, I am going to see my granddaughter in Yatsushiro.
I plan to be gone until next Tuesday.

Choji: [blinks] Well now! I... guess it'll be all right until then. [pauses]
I assume that if Kanrinin-san returns before then that I'm to let her
take care of everything for you at that point?

Toshi: [nonchalantly] If you would, yes. [turns to go] Thanks, Ketibeppu-san.

Choji: No problem.

[Choji closes the door and stands there holding the doorknob for a long
moment.]

Choji: [thinking] Wow, that was easy. Both the old man and Kanrinin-san will
be gone this weekend. Now I just have to advertise...

Akane: [from the hallway] Choji-san? [knocks] Are you home?

Choji: [opens door again] Sure, Akane-san. What's up?

Akane: I was just wondering if you might be able to help us out.

Choji: [cautiously] What's going on?

Akane: We-ll, my sister Nabiki wants to have some people over to entertain.
I think it's some kind of business thing. [pauses] And of course, our
apartment is too small...

Choji: [interrupting] How many people are we talking?

Akane: Oh! No more than eight! I promise! It's just that...

Choji: Hmm... this could work after all.

Akane: [stops short] Uh, sure, Choji. I think it could too.

Choji: [blinks] Oh, I'm sorry, I was just talking to myself. [grins] Well,
what do you need from me?

Akane: I was wondering if you had the key to the laundry room? I know it's
late, but I have to get in there and do an emergency load.

Choji: [chuckles] No problem. Besides, I was just about to come over and ask
a favor from you.

Akane: [brightly] Sure! [warily eyes camera on bookshelf behind Choji] What
is it?

Choji: I'd like to talk to your sister, Nabiki. I need some... business
advice.

Akane: [breathes sigh of relief] Oh, ok!

Choji: Would it be possible for me to meet her at the Nekohanten around
noon tomorrow?

Akane: I don't see why not. I'll let her know.

Choji: Thanks. [starts to close door, then opens it again] Um, when did you
need the key again?

Akane: Now would be good.

Choji: [hands her small key] Just bring it back when you're done! Later.

[Choji closes and locks the door and walks over to his desk. He presses a
button on a remote control and the armoire next to the desk opens
automatically, revealing a set of electronic equipment. The equipment comes
alive, and he presses a few keys on the keyboard. The giant monitor turns on,
bathing the room in a eerie light. He puts a CD into a caddy and inserts the
caddy into the machine's CD-rom drive. Soon, scantily clad women begin dancing
on the screen as a hand of poker is played at the bottom.]

Choji: [thinks] Ah... haven't had a moment to myself all day.

Voice: [from outside] Choji? Are you in there? The key won't work!

Choji: ...

* * *

[Thursday morning. Ranma sits up soaked in sweat. He nervously glances over
at Akane, who is sound asleep. A quick glance at the alarm clock shows the
time is 3:45am. He gets up, puts on a pair of slippers and silently walks
to the kitchen to get a glass of water. A soft knock at the door, however,
keeps him from his goal as he quietly opens the door.]

Ranma: [quietly] What is it?

Sato: [quietly] Are you awake?

Ranma: ...

Sato: [quietly] Right. Can I speak to you for a moment? [pauses] Out here
in the hall?

[Ranma exits the apartment and closes the door behind him. Facing Sato,
he crosses his arms over his chest and yawns.]

Ranma: [quietly] What are you doing out here?

Sato: I am just returning from another errand.

Ranma: [quietly] At four in the morning?

Sato: The spirits do not keep bankers' hours. [pauses] Besides, I was hungry.
[offers Ranma a bagel] Would you like one?

Ranma: [quietly] What's on your mind, Sato?

Sato: [sighs] I spoke to you earlier, remember? About dreams?

Ranma: [blinks] Yes, but... Why? I mean, how'd you know?

Sato: That you had a bad dream? I didn't until now. [sighs] Sometimes
the gods' intentions are deliberately cryptic.

Ranma: Fine, whatever. How does that help me sleep?

Sato: I'm afraid it doesn't until you tell me what your dream was about.

Ranma: ...

Sato: I see. [pauses] Perhaps it would be better if you recounted the
main object of your dream? A person or a place, perhaps?

Ranma: [slowly] It was about Ukyou.

Sato: Flashbacks from the spirit world?

Ranma: More like a future that could've happened.

Sato: Fascinating. I have not dealt with dreams of that nature before.

Ranma: ...

Sato: [hand behind head] Oh, don't worry, I'm sure this is why the gods
were so insistent that I talk to you today. [grins] And perhaps
this is how they wish you to deal with your inward emotions.

Ranma: But...

Sato: [interrupting] Of course, it may be something else... [ponders]
Foreshadowing, for instance.

Ranma: My dreams could be predicting my future?

Sato: Or Ukyou's.

Ranma: [leans against door] Oh boy.

Sato: [glances at watch] It is late. Let us continue this later in the day.
You have a test tomorrow, ne?

Ranma: [blinks again] How...?

[Sato merely points to the ground. Stuck to Ranma's slipper is a notecard
labeled "TEST NOTES".]

Sato: Good night, Saotome-san.

[Sato returns to his apartment and closes the door behind him. Ranma stares
out in the dim hallway for a long time, then turns to open the door to his
own apartment, only to find it locked. He bangs his head against the door
once in frustration, then goes next door to knock on Choji's door.]

* * *

[Late Thursday afternoon. In Room 3, a large mound sits covered on the bed in
one corner, while several electronic devices whirr and beep quietly near the
closet. The screen comes to life, with text scrolling near the bottom, and an
alarm goes off near the bed. Choji reluctantly uncovers himself, yawns and
stretches.]

Choji: [looking at clock] 11:15. [blinks, yawns] Why would I set that for...

[He looks up at the ceiling, where a picture of Nabiki Tendo hangs.]

Choji: Oh yeah. [grins]

[He clambers slowly out of bed, grabs a change of clothes, and trudges to the
bathroom. Fifteen minutes later, he emerges dressed and ready to go.]

Choji: [looking at notebook on desk] Now let's see... what else am I missing?
[pauses] I'd better bring cash, just in case.

[He exits his apartment and walks downstairs. Taking a small key remote out of
his pocket, he points it back upstairs and presses the button. Two small
chirps can be heard from upstairs. Satisfied, he then turns and leaves Maison
Sabaku. At the same time, Sato emerges from his room and knocks on the
Saotomes' apartment.]

Ranma: [opening door] Yes? Oh, it's you.

Sato: [sardonic grin] Sometimes I feel the same way. [looks over Ranma's
shoulder] Is this not a good time?

Ranma: I just got back about a half hour ago. Akane's in classes until 2:00.

Sato: Very well. [pauses] Unless you'd rather talk in the doorway.

Ranma: [blinks] Oh, right! [stands aside] Come in.

Sato: [nods] Thanks.

* * *

[At the Nekohanten. Choji enters amid a chorus of "Choji!" from the regular
patrons. Shampoo serves a customer his order, then walks over to Choji.]

Shampoo: Bar or table?

Choji: Table this time. [glances at watch] I'm meeting someone in fifteen
minutes .

Shampoo: [smiles] Is date? Shampoo have table away from other customers
for privacy... [begins to walk towards one table in particular]

Choji: I'm meeting Tendo Nabiki today.

[Shampoo turns smoothly in mid-stride to the opposite corner of the bar. A
booth with a table sits almost unnoticed in the dark corner.]

Shampoo: This your table. [sets one menu down instead of two]

Choji: Uh... are you sure? This is kind of out of the way... I mean, I don't
want to miss her.

[Shampoo throws Choji a look.]

Shampoo: Don't worry. You not miss meeting.

[With that, Shampoo turns and walks into the kitchen. Mousse emerges shortly
after with drinks.]

Choji: But, I didn't order...

Mousse: [interrupts, whispering] Don't question it. In fact, it'd be a good
idea if you didn't question anything while you're here meeting with
Tendo-san.

[Mousse quickly exits back to the kitchen, leaving Choji to gape at him in
surprise.]

Choji: [thinking] What am I getting into here?

* * *

Ranma: ... So, that's what's been going on with my dreams.

Sato: Interesting. They always end the same way?

Ranma: Not exactly, but the outcome is always the same. [leans forward] Is
this also part of the test?

Sato: [frowns] I wish I could allay your fears by telling you so, but alas,
I still cannot say.

Ranma: [sighs] I was afraid of that.

Sato: However, it does sound as if you are looking into an alternate future,
perhaps one that currently exists on another side of the spirit world.

Ranma: How'd you figure THAT out?

Sato: Pieces of the dream have not happened yet. Mostly, a person dreams of
things that he or she knows or has seen. You are describing things
that have not yet come to pass.

Ranma: Like?

Sato: The sunlight through the window. Maison Sabaku does not get direct
sunlight until late summer, since the tree blocks most of the harsh
rays.

Ranma: [glances unconsciously at the window] Uh huh.

Sato: Other things lead me to believe this is a future dream as well, like
the test you study for. Are you taking a Biology class right now?

Ranma: No... [pauses as realization hits] That's a class sophomores take.

Sato: I see.

Ranma: But, how could this happen? What would cause me to be married to Ucchan
instead of Akane? I mean, it would take a miracle for it to even occur.

Sato: Ask yourself this: if it did come to pass, would you try to stop it?

Ranma: Hell yes! Akane is my wife! I didn't come this far to just dump her,
y'know.

Sato: [calmly] I only ask to ascertain your commitment, not to accuse.

Ranma: That still doesn't answer why I'm having these dreams.

Sato: Perhaps, then, it is something you fear.

Ranma: But why? Why would I be afraid of Ucchan? She's one of the few people
I can trust.

Sato: I did not say that you were afraid of _her_.

Ranma: Then who... ?

Sato: Sometimes, learning to conquer ones own fear means walking a dark road
never traveled before.

Ranma: That sounds like it came out of a fortune cookie.

Sato: It did.

Ranma: ...

* * *

[Nabiki enters the Nekohanten. Immediately, Mousse appears and offers her a
drink on a small serving platter.]

Nabiki: Now Mousse, why would you be serving me this? It's not Wednesday.
You know when my business meetings are.

Mousse: You have a visitor at your table.

Nabiki: [nods] I know. Have Shamps send over two bowls of ramen with shrimp.
Separate tabs.

Mousse: You mean...

Nabiki: I'm feeling generous today. [smiles]

[Mousse hurries back into the kitchen, and Nabiki walks over to the booth
where Choji waits.]

Choji: [standing up] Tendo-san. Good of you to see me on such short notice.

Nabiki: Choji. [sits. Choji does likewise.] What was it that you wanted to
see me about? Normally I don't meet customers on Thursdays unless it's
_very_ important, but since you come recommended by Akane...

Choji: Well, I realize the situation you are in, and again I thank you for
taking the time to see me today. What I'm asking for is a small favor.
I'm having a party this weekend, and I need fliers distributed quickly.

Nabiki: [blinks] That's all? Nothing more? You could've done that yourself
and saved the cash.

Choji: I can't cover the area you can in only one day.

Nabiki: True. It just so happens that I have the connections you need.

[Shampoo arrives discretely and serves the two people each a bowl of steaming
ramen before disappearing. Nabiki waits until she leaves before continuing.]

Nabiki: Where's the flier?

[Choji hands her a manila envelope.]

Nabiki: Alright. I will have these copied off and posted in some of the other
areas of town, away from the campus. I assume that's what you had in
mind?

Choji: [nods] Exactly. I don't want word getting back to the wrong people.

Nabiki: Understandable. In return, I need something from you.

Choji: Name your price.

Nabiki: I need some ... electronic equipment.

Choji: Surveillance?

Nabiki: Yes. I don't suppose I need to tell you why.

Choji: I'm not interested in the reasons. It's better for my health that I
_don't_ know, actually. [grins] But I can get you the equipment.
Name your place for delivery.

[Nabiki hands Choji a small white envelope.]

Nabiki: It's all in there, including an advance check. If you need more, we
can discuss it...

Choji: [looks at note in envelope] No, the favor you are doing for me will
more than cover any other expenses. [stuffs envelope in pocket] The
equipment you're requesting, though, will take a while to get here.

Nabiki: How long?

Choji: Two weeks. I make no guarantees once you take possession.

Nabiki: Understood.

Choji: [eating ramen] This will be mutually profitable, you do realize.

[Nabiki only smiles in return as she begins to eat.]

* * *

[Friday afternoon. Nabiki and Akane sit under the tree in the middle of the
Mizunoikan campus eating lunch.]

Nabiki: Everything's set for tomorrow evening?

Akane: Yes, oneechan. [pauses to take a drink of water] You never told me who
your clients were.

Nabiki: For good reason, Akane-chan. [smiles] They're a band trying to find
a financial backer to help produce an album. I've heard their demo,
and they're _good_.

Akane: They didn't come to you?

Nabiki: Not this time. Besides, it'd make good business sense to have a loss
every now and again.

Akane: [blinks] But you just said they were good.

Nabiki: They are. That doesn't mean that they'll hit it big. The entertainment
business can be fickle at best.

Akane: [shakes head] I guess I just don't understand.

Nabiki: It's simple. I'm in this to take a loss this year. I'm making too much
money, as if that's even possible, and don't have the dojo to even
things out. In the past, I could always claim losses on the dojo due
to all of the escapades caused by Ranma and your father-in-law. Now...
it's more complicated. I was able to offset the first part of the
year by financing that stupid movie, but I need a recurring loss.

Akane: Ah! I get it now. Trying to keep yourself in a lower tax bracket?

Nabiki: Exactly. Investing a small amount of money into something that's going
to become a recurring loss yearly should do the trick for the next
couple of years at least. I can write off the band's salaries,
equipment, expenses, record deals, the whole thing. As long as they
lose money, I'm set. [hastily] We're set, I mean.

Akane: [grins] Well, I'll do my best to help you out, you know that.

Nabiki: I knew I could count on you, Akane.

* * *

[Saturday morning at Maison Sabaku. Choji is busy scrubbing the outside
porch with a brush and mop tied together. All in all, the outside of the
house looks cleaner than it had in recent days.]

Hitomi: [sitting on porch step] Wow, Choji. The place looks great!

[She peers at the upstairs portion as Choji dips the mop into a bucket of
water.]

Choji: Thanks, Hitomi-chan. [sighs] I just thought that since I had some
time...

Hitomi: [incredulous] Did you do the windows?

Choji: Uh-huh...

Hitomi: Even mine?

Choji: Well, no. I was waiting for you to go work.

[Suddenly, Hitomi is at Choji's side, having taken away the mop and is feeling
his forehead with the back of her hand.]

Choji: I'm NOT sick, ok? [grins] I just kind of figured it'd be easier to
clean without having to explain what I'm doing...

Hitomi: Oh. [sits back down] Well what's left to do?

Choji: Hmm. [ponders] I should at least wipe down the banister and mop the
downstairs hallway.

Hitomi: Wow, you're really getting into this aren't you? [pauses, slyly]
What's the catch?

Choji: Eh?

Hitomi: You know? What the reason behind it? Why are you REALLY doing it?

Choji: Uh, well, you see...

Akane: [opening door] Choji-san! Good afternoon!

Choji: [snaps to attention] Hey! Where are you headed?

Akane: I'm going to the grocery store to buy some chicken and spices for
tonight's dinner. My older sister Kasumi called to say she's come
down with the flu and can't make it to dinner tonight.

Choji: Oh. That's too bad. [glances at Hitomi] Wasn't her roommate going as
well?

Akane: [nods] Yup. But with Kasumi sick, I think Yuriko-chan decided to stay in
tonight and get some studying in. [shrugs] But anyway, I have to cook
tonight, so Ranma and I have to leave here about six to have dinner
ready in time. [starts to walk down porch stairs] Uh, you missed a
spot. [points to area]

Choji: [nods] Thanks.

Hitomi: [peers at Choji] Hmm... the Saotomes gone, Yamakawa-san out of town
for the weekend, Kanrinin-san in Kazurao, and Sato-san is who
knows where... Why do I get the feeling that something's up?

Choji: What do you mean? What could be going on? [pauses] And don't you have
to work or something tonight?

Hitomi: Actually, no. Two of my friends are coming over tonight at seven -
we're going to hit this huge party they were telling me about.

Choji: [sweat drop] Party? Uh... do you know where it is?

Hitomi: They didn't say. [shrugs] Doesn't matter, though. A party's a party.

Choji: S- sure. [quickly] Well, I've got to finish cleaning out here, so if
you don't mind...

Hitomi: Oh, sure, go right ahead. [sits down on steps]

Choji: ...

* * *

[Late Saturday afternoon. The inside of Maison Sabaku looks sparkling clean,
smelling slightly of lemons and furniture polish. Choji stuffs the mop and
pail back into the closet under the stairs and wipes his brow.]

Choji: Finally! [checks watch] Almost time; I'd better get upstairs and
change.

[He bounds upstairs just as Akane opens the door of Room 4. Ranma follows
right behind her, both clothed in casual dinner dress.]

Akane: Wow! This place is so... clean! [to Choji] What's the occasion?

Choji: Well, uh... [hand behind head]

Akane: Kanrinin-san will never believe this... [smiles] What a nice surprise!

Choji: AAH! No, you can't tell Kanrinin-san!

Akane: [blinks] Why not?

Choji: Er... because we don't want her to think that something happened while
she was gone, ne?

Akane: Oh! Good point. Ok, but I still think you should get SOME kind of
reward for cleaning up so nicely. Maybe some money or something.

Choji: [grins] I was thinking just that, actually. [to himself] At 500 yen a
head at the door, that is.

Ranma: Anyway, we need to get going since Akane still has to cook. So, we'll
catch you later.

Choji: [nods] Well, have fun!

[He pulls out his keys and presses the button on the remote. Akane watches in
amazement as a single chirp is heard from inside his apartment, and the door
unlocks. Ranma merely shrugs and walks downstairs]

Choji: [uncomfortably] What?

Akane: [closes mouth] Um, nothing. [smiles] Nothing at all.

Choji: Right. [enters apartment]

[Akane looks back at Choji's apartment once more, then follows her husband
downstairs.]

* * *

[A sedan stops at the curb in front of a nondescript apartment building.
Nabiki exits from the driver's side and opens the back passenger door to let
three young men step out of the car. The first is about Nabiki's height, with
short, dark hair and green eyes. He wears grey slacks with suspenders, a
burgandy-colored dress shirt, and a forest green and navy blue striped tie.
The second man stands a good ten centimeters taller, with a shock of uncombed
blond hair, baggy jeans and an oversized dress shirt, buttoned all the way to
the collar. The third is about the same height as the second, but has brown
hair peeking from underneath a New York Yankees baseball cap. He wears a
plain white tshirt with a pocket and a pair of jeans with a hole in the left
knee. In his back pocket, he carries a pair of drumsticks. Nabiki and her
companions make their way up the walk as Akane opens the front door of the
apartment house to greet her guests.]

Akane: Nabiki! Hi!

Nabiki: [blinks] Uh... hello, sis. [gestures to the young men] This is
Morisato Shiganori, Ogawa Izumi, and Senno Takayuki. Guys, this is
my younger sister, Saotome Akane.

Takayuki: A pleasure! [bows slightly]

Akane: [blinks] It's.. uh, nice to meet you!

Nabiki: They haven't decided on a band name yet, but we are working on it!
In the meantime, how are we for dinner?

Akane: Almost ready. [low whisper to Nabiki] I did everything EXACTLY as you
had Kasumi-oneechan write it down, but I still don't understand why you
didn't have her add curry powder to the shrimp...

Nabiki: [low whisper to Akane] Never mind that, just make sure it's all
cooked. [to the band] Well, come on inside! We have dinner all ready
for you.

Izumi: [face lights up] You mean...

Shiganori: [face also lights up] ... a home-cooked meal?

Takayuki: [sighs] Tell me, Saotome-san. Have you ever dated a drummer?

Akane: [frowns] Not that I can recall.

Takayuki: [glances at Izumi] Don't.

[Takayuki walks inside as Shiganori breaks out in laughter.]

Shiganori: Dude, you just got slammed!

Izumi: [frowns] Yeah, well what does he know anyway? Not like he's gotten
any in the last three years...

Nabiki: [interrupting] Wow, doesn't that food smell good? We should hurry
inside before it gets cold...

Akane: But I can just reheat...

[Akane trails off when Nabiki shoots her a look.]

Izumi: So what are we having anyway?

Akane: I call it Curry Surprise... except it doesn't have any curry in it.

[Both men look at each other warily.]

* * *

Guy: Hey, this must be the place. [looks around] Where is everyone?

Girl: Well, the flier DOES say seven o'clock. [checks watch] We're about a
half-hour early.

[A group of people stands outside Maison Sabaku. Some are holding fliers,
others have decided to lounge around on the grass or porch.]

Guy 2: Well, we can always just wait. I hope they have beer.

Girl 2: Me too. I could use one right about now.

Guy: Did you remember your cash? The flier said it would cost to get in.

Girl 2: That won't be a problem. [opens another button on her blouse] You
guys, however, are pretty much screwed. [grins]

[Choji walks outside.]

Guy 3: Hey, is this the place for the party?

Choji: Yeah, but I'm still setting up. There's a keg I have to get from out
back.

All Guys: [in unison] We'll help!

Girl 2: [sighs] Only one keg?

Choji: For now, but I'll make another run later tonight. [grins] That's what
the money's for.

Girl: Well, at least we know it's going to a good cause. [smirks] My name's
Reika, what's yours?

Guy 3: Reika!

[Hitomi rushes outside.]

Hitomi: Choji! My friends just called!

Choji: So? Aren't you going out tonight?

Hitomi: The party we were going to go to is HERE!

Choji: [grins] Well, that makes it convenient, doesn't it?

Hitomi: You don't understand, do you? You can't have a party HERE!

[Choji takes Hitomi off to the side.]

Choji: Look, I'll make you a deal. If you keep quiet about this, I'll give
you 25% of the money I get.

Hitomi: [still angry] And what if I don't?

Choji: Then you don't get any cash whatsoever. [shrugs] I'm still cleaning up
afterward, so it'll be your word against mine. So ask yourself, do you
want to make some dough for simply keeping quiet or do you want to be
a whiner all night and make nothing?

Hitomi: [sighs] I'll take the cash.

Choji: Deal. [shakes her hand] My stereo is at the top of the stairs already.
If you bring it down the front door and plug it in, I'd really
appreciate it. [begins to walk around the building]

Hitomi: Where are you going?

Choji: To get the beer, of course.

Hitomi: [blinks] You bought beer?

[Choji just laughs as he and two guys walk to the back of Maison Sabaku.
Hitomi finally goes back inside to building to get Choji's stereo.]

Reika: Hmph. She's not happy.

Girl 2: Why should she? You just made a pass at her boyfriend.

Reika: Did not!

Guy 2: Now, now ladies, let's not spoil the party before it starts, hmm?

[Hitomi opens the front door and turns on the stereo. Music starts to thump
from speakers sitting in the bushes. Hitomi almost falls over in shock, then
begins looking for wiring. Choji and the guys return with the keg and a keg
tapper. One of the guys attempts to attach the tapper, and Choji walks over to
inspect the stereo.]

Hitomi: Where are the speaker wires?

Choji: [adjusting equalizer] It's wireless. And expensive, so if you see
people hanging around too close to the speakers, make sure they don't
have drinks.

Hitomi: [nods] Cool.

Choji: [blinks] Really?

Hitomi: [grins] A wireless stereo that sounds like THAT? It definitely belongs
in the "cool" category.

Guy: Hey, why won't this thing go in? [holds up tapper]

Choji: Try the other side.

Guy: Oh, right.

* * *

Nabiki: Well, Akane [pushes her chair back from table] that was pretty good!

Akane: [embarrassed] Thanks.

Ranma: I was impressed.

[Akane gives him a look.]

Ranma: Uh... that you could do this on short notice.

[Akane smiles.]

Izumi: It _was_ an interesting meal.

Takayuki: A hamburger is interesting to you! [to Akane] I must compliment you
for your cooking abilities.

[Both Nabiki and Ranma look at each other. Akane turns a shade of red.]

Akane: Well, it wasn't anything, really.

Takayuki: Now that we've had dinner at your expense, we must return the favor.

Akane: Oh, you don't have to do that!

Nabiki: [leans forward] What'd you have in mind?

Shiganori: Well, there's this mega-party going down tonight - we heard that
it's going to be THE event to be at.

Nabiki: Party? [blinks, then starts to sweat] Are you sure about it being
tonight? I heard it was, uh, next week or something.

Izumi: No way! It's tonight. We were planning to go after dinner and hang out,
but since you've been generous hosts...

Takayuki: We even brought our instruments, just in case.

Ranma: [chuckles] Just in case what? The band doesn't show up?

Shiganori: Exactly.

Ranma: You _are_ desperate for work, aren't you?

Nabiki: [cutting in] Now, before we go anywhere, we have to discuss a few
things, don't we?

[Izumi, Takayuki, and Shiganori all look at each other at the same time and
nod.]

Izumi: We've decided.

Nabiki: [blinks] Decided?

Izumi: Sure. We'll sign with you.

Nabiki: That quickly?

Shiganori: Right.

Takayuki: Well, let's hurry up already! The party's already started and I want
some beer!

Nabiki: [sweat drop] Uh... well, let's go and we can talk on the way to the
party.

Akane: What about the dishes?

Nabiki: [shoots Akane a look] Later.

[Akane and Ranma glance at each other as everyone gets up from the table and
exits the apartment.]

* * *

[The sedan pulls up to the curb behind a small apartment building, and its
passengers get out and stretch. Music can barely be heard coming from the
front of the building.]

Akane: Funny, this place looks familiar.

Nabiki: [hurriedly] Most of these buildings look the same - they were all
built around the same time, remember?

Ranma: No, there's something else about this one in particular though...

[Just then, a group of four women walk past. The band whistles appreciatively.]

Izumi: Hey baby, we should get together later!

Redhead: [over her shoulder] Only if you're lucky!

Izumi: Aw, c'mon, you should try it! You'll like it!

[The group of women stop and the redhead walks back over to Izumi.]

Redhead: And what if I don't like it? [licks lips]

Izumi: [walks up close] Trust me, babe, you'll like it.

Nabiki: Uh...

Redhead: [looks over at Nabiki] Jealous?

[Nabiki glares at the redheaded woman. The woman recoils, then shrugs and
walks off.]

Izumi: [calling after the redhead] Your loss.

Ranma: Hey, just how old are you guys anyway?

Izumi: [grins] 16!

Shiganori: 16!

Takayuki: I'm 17!

Ranma: For some reason, this all makes much more sense. [looks at Nabiki]

[Nabiki shrugs helplessly. The group follows the stream of people headed to
the front of the building. The music gets louder and louder as they approach,
and Ranma notices that nearby tree branches are shaking from the bass's
rhythmic thumping. Right before they enter the front gate, Ukyou, Makiko,
Lardizabal and Megami exit the gate.]

Ukyou: Hey! Where were you guys? Great party!

Ranma: Whaddya mean where were we? We just got here.

Makiko: Well, y'know, [points back at the house with her cup of beer] we
thought you'd be here, seeing as it's your place and all...

Akane: Huh?

[For the first time, the group looks over the gate to see the front yard of
Maison Sabaku swarming with people. Hitomi sits on the porch swing surrounded
by several guys with lecherous looks. Choji is filling cups with beer and
taking money for each one. People walk in and out of the house with alarming
regularity.]

Nabiki: Well, I guess it was familiar after all.

Izumi: Great! Let's go!

[The three young band members quickly make for the keg as the rest of the gang
stands just outside the gate.]

Lardizabal: Congratulations Saotome! [claps hand on Ranma's shoulder] Hell of
a party! [hiccups]

Ranma: Believe me, this wasn't my doing.

Akane: [walks over to Choji] What the hell is going on here?

Choji: Akane! Heeeey, welcome back. Just a little fun, that's all! [gestures
to keg] Want something to drink?

Akane: No, and if you think that...

Takayuki: [interrupts] Hey, great stereo, man. Where's the band?

Choji: Band? What band?

Shiganori: Sound this good has GOT to be coming from a band. Are they
inside?

Choji: No, that's just the stereo system.

Takayuki: You mean there's no band here?

Choji: Nope. Didn't hire one.

Izumi: Way cool! Let's get our gear!

[The band members quickly dash off to their car, leaving Choji yelling after
them. The rest of the gang joins Akane and Choji by the keg.]

Choji: Hey! I'm not paying you if you play!

Nabiki: [walking up] Actually, it's better that you don't. They're underage.

Choji: Nabiki-san! I must thank you for your help!

[Nabiki's eyes widen and she begins to shake her head, indicating for Choji
not to continue the conversation.]

Ukyou: Thank her? What for?

Choji: Well, if it wasn't for her, word wouldn't have gotten out about the
party!

Akane: _Really._

Megami: Nabiki-san, you must be really good to be able to get all these people
here on such short notice!

Nabiki: [flustered] Eh, er... thanks, Megami-chan.

Ukyou: Well, we can try and kick everyone out if you want, Ranchan...

Ranma: [sighs] I don't know if we'd be able to get everyone out before the
beer's gone...

Random guy: What? Did you say the beer's gone?

Choji: No! No! There's plenty here! Go ahead, have some!

Makiko: Hey, I want to dance. [to Choji] Can you put on some dance music?

Lardizabal: Dance? Here?

Makiko: Why not! Is there a problem?

Lardizabal: [hands up defensively] No, not a problem...

[Just then, the band returns with their gear. They quickly set up on the
porch, displacing Hitomi and her followers.]

Choji: Boy, you guys better be good.

[He pulls out remote and presses a button. Instantly, the music ceases.
Complaints can be heard throughout the yard immediately afterward.]

Izumi: Kick it!

[The band begins to play a cover of a popular dance song. Soon, half the
lawn is covered in dancers going wild to the music. Even Megami gets into
the act, dancing with a couple of nearby guys. Hitomi manages to lose her
followers in the crowd and makes her way over to Ranma and company.]

Hitomi: Choji, you owe me big for this!

Choji: Alright, alright. Lighten up! This is a party, remember?

Hitomi: Hmph! [folds arms over chest]

[The music ends, and the band bows to much applause. Quickly Takayuki runs
over to where Ranma and Akane stand with the others.]

Takayuki: Nabiki, can you and your sister sing?

Nabiki: Somewhat. [smirks] Why?

Takayuki: We need some backup singers for this next tune. And quick!

Nabiki: There's a problem with that. Where are the words?

Takayuki: Oh, just repeat the chorus when I give your cue. Pretty simple.

Nabiki: Well, I don't know...

Takayuki: [turns to Hitomi] Well, how about you?

Hitomi: Sure, might as well. [glares at Choji]

Akane: Alright.

Megami: Me too!

Takayuki: Excellent!

[The foursome leave Nabiki, Ranma, and Ukyou and get back on the porch to
assemble themselves somewhat. The music starts again, a little more upbeat
than the last, but it is quickly obvious that the song is an original by the
band.]

Nabiki: [to Ranma] What? No Ranko?

Ranma: [chuckles] I'm "retired".

Ukyou: I dunno, we might have to coax you out of retirement, Ranchan.

Ranma: Hey, now wait just a sec...

[At that moment, he spots Sato sitting in the upper branches of the tree in
the middle of the yard.]

Ranma: Uh, guys, I'll be right back.

[One leap later, he is sitting next to Sato on the tree branch.]

Ranma: [looking down] Nice view.

Sato: It is, at that. And the music is much more tolerable filtered through
the leaves.

Ranma: The band's not half-bad either.

Sato: So I have noticed. They have potential.

Ranma: I suspect, though, that's not why you're up here.

Sato: Correct. [pauses to change subject] Have you talked to her yet?

Ranma: Actually, I was going to, but I thought I'd check in with you first.
Need anything? Beer? Chips? Ladder?

Sato: I am fine for the moment. But thank you.

Ranma: [shrugs] No problem.

[Ranma silently lands on the far side of the tree, scaring the living
daylights out of a couple making out in the darkness. He quietly makes his
way back to where Ukyou stands off by herself near the porch. The band is
coming to a close with their song, and the crowd is responding with loud
cheers and by singing along. Megami watches Ranma move toward Ukyou, and as
the band finishes, she slips off "stage" and heads over to the two childhood
friends.]

Ukyou: That was wonderful, Megami-chan! Where'd you learn to sing like that?

Megami: [blushes] Well, sometimes when you're at school, I'll just sit and
listen to the radio.

Ranma: I agree, that was amazing.

Megami: [blushes even more] Thank you... Ranma.

[The band starts up on another cover, this time of a popular love song. Akane
and Hitomi don't seem to notice Megami's disappearance, as each of them is
getting into the music. Ranma watches amusedly, then turns to Megami.]

Ranma: Listen, Megami-chan, do you mind if Ukyou and I talk for a bit? It
won't take long, I promise.

Megami: [blinks] Sure. I'll be over by the keg, Mom.

Ukyou: You'll do no such thing! I want you over there by the tree where I
can keep an eye on you!

Megami: But Mom...

Ranma: Ucchan...

Ukyou: [sighs] Oh, all right. But don't drink anything!

[Megami wanders over to the keg.]

Ukyou: So, what's on your mind?

Ranma: Well, I don't know exactly how to put this... [glances up at Sato]
Y'see, it's like this - I've been having dreams... about you... us.

Ukyou: Yes?

Ranma: Have you been having dreams like that lately?

Ukyou: [slowly shakes her head] I can't say that I have...

Ranma: I don't know what to make of it, if it's something leftover from the
spirit world, or what... [trails off]

Ukyou: [quietly] Well, Sato-san said we'd all have to face our inner demons
sooner or later.

Ranma: ...

Ukyou: [pauses] Have you considered that maybe _you're_ the cause of the
dreams?

Ranma: [narrows eyes] What do you mean?

Ukyou: You mentioned that you didn't know the cause of the dreams, but...
well, you know that dreams are controlled by the subconscious, ne?

Ranma: [nods] Go on.

Ukyou: What if... what if it's something you're afraid of.

Ranma: [blinks] Have you been talking to Sato?

Ukyou: Say what?

Ranma: Never mind...

Ukyou: [sighs] Ok, how about this - suppose... suppose we were married after
all. What makes this bad?

Ranma: Well, for starters, I love Akane. And... I think I'd have some problems
with being married to you.

Ukyou: What kind of problems?

Ranma: It's kinda hard to explain...

Ukyou: We'd be husband and wife after all, so what problems would there be?

Ranma: Well, it wouldn't be what I wanted.

Ukyou: How would you know?

Ranma: Because... because I know. I know that in my heart, the one person for
me is Akane.

Ukyou: But you're dreaming about me.

Ranma: That's what's killing me. I _know_ I love Akane, but I dream about you,
and I don't know _why_.

Ukyou: [pauses] Maybe you just needed to hear yourself say it.

Ranma: [blinks] Huh?

Ukyou: I said, maybe you just needed to hear yourself say that you love Akane.
Maybe your dreams are running rampant because you refuse to admit it
to yourself _openly_. Maybe this is the inner demon you're supposed to
conquer.

Ranma: [folds arms over chest] I'm not following.

Ukyou: [sighs] C'mon Ranchan, you've never been one to think things completely
through without acting somewhere along the line. Plus, there's never
been a martial arts opponent that you haven't beaten sooner or later.

Ranma: Ok, but what does that have to do with dreaming about you?

Megami: [cutting in] What Mom's trying to tell you, Ranma, is that you have
to learn to suppress your subconscious desires, your impulses, and
force yourself to think more, act less. Your worst opponent - the one
that will give you the hardest battle you've ever fought - is
yourself.

Ukyou: [shocked] Megami-chan! Have you been listening the entire time?

Ranma: Hmm. I think I understand.

Ukyou: [flatly] You do.

Ranma: Well, yes. I mean, if I can't say "I love Akane" openly, aloud,
whatever, and mean it, then I'm just keeping everything inside.

Ukyou: And since keeping emotions inside is not a good idea...

Ranma: My dreams are finding another alternative. So, basically, I need to
tell Akane that I love her more often. Then the dreams about Ukyou will
stop.

Megami: See! [grins] You're figuring it out already!

Ukyou: You just need to keep in touch with your emotional side more, that's
all.

Ranma: [sighs] My own worst enemy is myself.

Megami: [smiles] It's not THAT bad, is it?

Ranma: Well, Megami-chan, in martial arts, it's easy to study an opponent
over time, to spot weaknesses and strengths. It's a lot tougher to
find your own weak points because you don't want to admit you have
any. [pauses] At least, _I_ don't want to admit I have any.

Megami: But this isn't martial arts. Unless there's some kind of martial arts
dreaming.

Ranma: [chuckles] No, not that I know of. Of course, if there was, Pop would
find out about it.

[Ukyou raises an eyebrow. Ranma gives her a "Don't ask" look.]

Ranma: Anyway, you're right, Megami-chan. It's not martial arts, and so I
can't go and solve problems like that anymore - I have to figure them
out the long way. [pauses] I just hope I have the patience.

Ukyou: [puts an arm around Ranma] You will. It just takes some time. And
besides, you're still my friend, so if you ever need someone to
soul-search with, you can always count on me. _Believe me_, I've been
there.

Megami: Did it have to do with me, Mom?

Ukyou: No, Megami-chan. Not you. [half-smiles] Let's say it was just wishful
thinking.

Megami: [thinks] Wishful thinking? That gives me an idea...

Ukyou: [to Ranma] You alright?

Ranma: Yeah. It'll just take some time getting used to.

Takayuki: [from stage] Oi, Megami-chan! Another song?

Ukyou: [blinks twice] "Megami-chan"?!?

Megami: Sure! [to Ukyou] It's ok, Mom. He didn't mean anything by it!

Ukyou: Ok, if you're sure... [watches Megami run to the stage] C'mon Ranchan,
whaddya say? Sing a song with me?

Ranma: [grins] What the heck. Why not.

[Ranma ducks inside Maison Sabaku quickly, emerging around the side of the
house slightly damp.]

Ranma-chan: Let's get this party started!

[Minutes later, the band breaks into a loud rendition of a recent rock tune.
Most of the partygoers have now crowded around the front porch to listen or
catch a glimpse of the band and its four gorgeous backup singers. Several
cameras start taking pictures, and the band gleefully plays on, although
Izumi does ham it up a bit more than the others. Finally, as the evening
winds down, Takayuki steps back and lets the four women sing the lead on the
very last song of the night. All four move in step as if they had rehearsed
their routine for years, and the effect on the audience is overwhelmingly
positive. As the song winds down, Shiganori breaks into a guitar solo that
leaves even his fellow band members staring in appreciation.]

Takayuki: [as music stops] To all you partiers out there! Good night and
THANK YOU! [raises both fists in the air]

[The audience explodes in applause. Money begins to be tossed up onto stage,
and the band greedily begins picking it up and stuffing their pockets. Nabiki,
sitting over in the corner, has a hunted look in her eyes as she glances down
at the contract the band signed, and then back at the band.]

Nabiki: [thinking] This is bad, very bad... NOW where am I going to find
a loss to offset these guys?

* * *

[The sun shines brightly on Maison Sabaku, and the sunlight streams through
the window of Room 4. Ranma turns over in his sleep and rests his arm on the
pillow next to him. Feeling nothing but pillow under his arm, he slowly opens
one eye to survey the room. Soft humming and the sounds of food being grilled
emanate from the kitchen. He slowly gets up out of bed and stretches before
grabbing a set of clothes from the closet and entering the bathroom. Twenty
minutes later, he emerges from the bathroom fully dressed, hair combed, etc.,
etc. He walks over to the kitchen table and sits down to a place setting and
a glass of orange juice. Immediately, Akane walks over with a plate full of
steaming rice and a bowl of miso soup and serves him. She then sits next to
him as he begins to eat.]

Akane: [smiling] Good morning. How'd you sleep?

Ranma: [in between bites] Great! One of the few times so far that I haven't
tossed and turned all night.

Akane: Good, you needed your sleep. [pauses] I hate to ask this of you, but
do you think we could find time to go visit Kasumi-oneechan today?
We haven't seen her in a while...

Ranma: [grins] You bet.

[Akane nods and gets up quickly from the table. Ranma watches her for a
moment, then smiles to himself and continues eating.]

Ranma: [thinking] Well, it's a start...

* * *

[Choji, with a towel over his head, is busy picking up trash and plastic cups
from the front lawn and putting them in a very large garbage bag. Hitomi
bounds out the door.]

Hitomi: [squeals] Choji! Choji! Guess what?

Choji: [wincing] You couldn't possibly be a little quieter, could you?

Hitomi: [smiling] Whassa matter? Little Choji-chan has a hangover?

Choji: [sniffs] What do you want?

Hitomi: Takayuki-san just called. He wants to know if I'm interested in
singing backup for his band full time!

Choji: Well, isn't that nice.

Hitomi: It's great! I might be able to get out of this place after all!

Choji: You think you're going to make that much, eh?

Hitomi: As long as it's enough to not have to go back to work at Chez Funsui,
I'll be happy.

Choji: Whatever.

[Choji places the last of the trash in the garbage bag and heads around the
corner of the house. Hitomi sniffs and bounds through the gate and down the
sidewalk, headed toward the shopping district. Several minutes later, Ranma
and Akane both walk outside.]

Ranma: [squints] Remind me to buy a pair of sunglasses today, ok?

Akane: [shades eyes] When did you plan on going shopping? We're just going to
visit Kasumi-oneechan and come back home.

Ranma: [sighs] Humor is completely lost on you, isn't it?

[Akane is about to say something, when Kazuyo opens the gate with several
pieces of luggage. Both Ranma and Akane hurry to help carry her baggage.]

Kazuyo: Oh, there's no need to help...

Akane: Don't worry, Kanrinin-san, we've got them.

Kazuyo: [looks up at house] My, the house is still standing. I'm impressed.

[Choji walks around the corner, sees Kazuyo, and immediately takes the towel
off his head. Wincing in the bright light, he walks up to the trio.]

Choji: It's good to see you, Kanrinin-san.

Kazuyo: [smiles] I see that you took very good care of the place in my
absence, Ketibeppu-san. How did things go?

Choji: [pauses] Well, other than the laundry door sticking, I don't seem to
recall anything out of the ordinary...

[Ranma and Akane look at each other.]

Kazuyo: That's good. [to Akane and Ranma] I'd like to get inside and relax
for a while, if that's all right.

Ranma: Sure. [grabs luggage from Akane] I'll carry these in for you.

Kazuyo: [bows slightly] Thank you.

[The two walk inside and close the screen door behind them. Akane waits until
the door closes completely before turning to Choji.]

Akane: You're not going to tell her, are you?

Choji: Why? The place is spotless, no damage was done to the building or the
lawn, and all the trash is cleaned up.

Akane: [narrows eyes] What about the neighbors? I'm sure there's a ton of
messages on Kanrinin-san's answering machine.

Choji: I took care of that this morning.

Akane: [incredulous] You erased all her messages?

Choji: Hell no. I just erased the ones that dealt with the party. [grins]
And I dropped off some nice gifts for each person that complained this
morning.

Akane: So that's where the trash went.

Choji: [sighs] You have no faith in me whatsoever. I left each one a small
envelope with some cash in it and a small apology note. Not a lot of
money, but enough to make it worth their while not to bring it up
again.

Akane: [folds arms over chest] You're certainly going through a lot of trouble
just to hide a party... [realization dawns] Just how much DID you make
last night?

Choji: [smirks] Let's just say I won't have to worry about paying rent for a
long, long time.

Akane: I see.

[Ranma opens the screen door and walks out, followed by Kazuyo.]

Kazuyo: Oh, Ketibeppu-san, there you are. I was just looking for you for one
more thing.

Choji: [turning to face Kazuyo] I left your keys on your table.

Kazuyo: No, that's not it. It's about this newspaper article in today's paper.

[All color drains from Choji's face.]

Choji: [slowly] What newspaper article?

Kazuyo: The one with the nice color pictures of a band playing on our front
porch.

Choji: ...

Kazuyo: Now, I'd like to speak to you about your rent...

[Akane quickly turns around and walks through the front gate, followed close
behind by Ranma. The two suppress their laughter until they get around the
corner.]

finis.

There's a dark cloud ahead +---------------------------------------+
A place we can't see | Writers: ........... Paul Gallegos |
We don't know what tomorrow holds | ............... David Tai |
But believe you me | ....... John Walter Biles |
| ............. Jeff Hosmer |
Take it one day at a time | |
Don't try to hide +---------------------------------------+
Take the reins of your life | Artist: ...... Alexandra Teixeira |
Make a choice - gotta decide 'cause +---------------------------------------+
| DnR Companion: Mike "Nelson" Gulick |
You get one chance +---------------------------------------+
One chance to get it right | Special Thanks to: ............ J., |
That's what I was told | Tucson Animation Screening Society, |
But after all this time | and of course Rumiko Takahashi |
And now I know | Copyright (c) 1999 |
There's always a second chance | Digital Knight Communications |

"Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1999
Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation
and Rumiko Takahashi