The end is near... Live action Garfield movie..

TheShredder

Feb 23, 2003, 3:46:35ā€ÆPM2/23/03
Wanted to use Apocolypse, but doubted that was spelled right :)..

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68232

Sigh....I just hope they can find a decent voice replacement, because
they've got some BIG shoes to fill.

Arklier

Feb 23, 2003, 5:24:01ā€ÆPM2/23/03

Supposedly they've already found a replacement. The commercial for the
Littermaid automatic catbox where Garfield appears was produced after
Lorenzo Music's death, according to someone who replied to my post
asking about it last year. Just going from the short voice clips from
the commercial, the new voice sounds alright.

--
ark...@hotnospammail.com

If you can't figure out my address, you need help.

Girl gamer since 1984, DC/GC/PS2/Xbox owner

Michelle "Ms. Geek" Klein-Hass

Feb 23, 2003, 9:09:01ā€ÆPM2/23/03
Arklier wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:46:35 GMT, "TheShredder"
> <TheShr...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>Wanted to use Apocolypse, but doubted that was spelled right :)..
>>
>>http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68232
>>

>>Sigh....I just hope they can find a decent voice replacement, because
>>they've got some BIG shoes to fill.
>
> Supposedly they've already found a replacement. The commercial for the
> Littermaid automatic catbox where Garfield appears was produced after
> Lorenzo Music's death, according to someone who replied to my post
> asking about it last year. Just going from the short voice clips from
> the commercial, the new voice sounds alright.

Oh barf. This whole story is an embarrassment. However, Aragorn, Frodo,
Gandalf and Gollum are going to give this abortion the drubbing it
deserves. It's going up against LOTR: Return Of The King...20th shouldn't
have even brought it to the party. Fearless prediction: 20th loses its
nerve and releases it sometime before or after LOTR III. Or just lets it
slip straight to video.

I would like to hear what Mr. Evanier thinks of this project.

-.\\<-H-
--
Ms. Geek (Michelle Klein-Hass)...terrorizing Usenet since 1992!
Charter member, SPCM, (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Menchi)

Terrence Briggs

Feb 23, 2003, 9:34:48ā€ÆPM2/23/03

"TheShredder" <TheShr...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Wanted to use Apocolypse, but doubted that was spelled right :)..
>
> http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68232

So...seeing a slimmed-down caricature of Low Rawls on The Proud Family
wasn't the equivalent of Gabriel's Horn?

> Sigh....I just hope they can find a decent voice replacement, because
> they've got some BIG shoes to fill.

Rob Paulsen as the voice of a CGI Garfield. Shoes filled.

Hey, if some teen comedy castaway can fill the live-action shows of Casey
Kasem in Scooby-Doo, anything's possible.

Terrence Briggs, hijacking the family's Outlook Express account
Peace to you...

Mark Evanier

Feb 24, 2003, 2:15:06ā€ÆAM2/24/03
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:09:01 -0800, "Michelle \"Ms. Geek\" Klein-Hass"
<msg...@spamcop.net> posted:

>Oh barf. This whole story is an embarrassment. However, Aragorn, Frodo,
>Gandalf and Gollum are going to give this abortion the drubbing it
>deserves. It's going up against LOTR: Return Of The King...20th shouldn't
>have even brought it to the party. Fearless prediction: 20th loses its
>nerve and releases it sometime before or after LOTR III. Or just lets it
>slip straight to video.
>
>I would like to hear what Mr. Evanier thinks of this project.

ME: I think this project (The GARFIELD movie) hasn't even finalized
its script, hired one actor or shot one frame of film. So it might be
a wee bit premature to decide how well it will do.
------------------------------
www.POVonline.com - a website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las Vegas, Hollywood,
Stan Freberg, Laurel & Hardy, Jack Kirby and possums in my backyard.

ANIM8Rfsk

Feb 24, 2003, 3:15:15ā€ÆPM2/24/03
<< From: Mark Evanier m...@evanier.com >>

<< ME: I think this project (The GARFIELD movie) hasn't even finalized
its script, hired one actor or shot one frame of film. >>

But it DOES have a release date of 12/19/2003

gotta love it :-)

RebbleDesign

Feb 25, 2003, 2:28:10ā€ÆPM2/25/03
The Shredder wrote:

Does anyone remember an early '80s TV special that showcased animated segments
of various comic strips (including early Garfield)? This was before there was
ever a "Garfield" series. Anyhow, I remember the voice as being a bit deeper
and a lot more sarcastic in tone. It wasn't Lorenzo Music; FWIW I liked that
first voice better than the more familiar one they used in the series. It
seemed more apropos, but then again that was back in the days when the strip
was actually funny and Garfield looked and acted more like a real cat.

http://www.rebble.com
http://www.alleycat-art.com

Mark Evanier

Feb 25, 2003, 3:09:06ā€ÆPM2/25/03
On 25 Feb 2003 19:28:10 GMT, rebble...@aol.comNOSPAM (RebbleDesign)
posted:

>Does anyone remember an early '80s TV special that showcased animated segments
>of various comic strips (including early Garfield)? This was before there was
>ever a "Garfield" series. Anyhow, I remember the voice as being a bit deeper
>and a lot more sarcastic in tone. It wasn't Lorenzo Music; FWIW I liked that
>first voice better than the more familiar one they used in the series. It
>seemed more apropos, but then again that was back in the days when the strip
>was actually funny and Garfield looked and acted more like a real cat.

ME: That was a special called THE FABULOUS FUNNIES produced by Lee
Mendelson, who is better known as the producer of the PEANUTS,
GARFIELD and CATHY animated specials. That special was the first time
Garfield was animated, and the voice was done by Scott Beach, a San
Francisco radio personality. Regular listeners of Dr. Demento will be
familiar with Mr. Beach's record, "Religion and Politics," which the
good doctor plays often.

Anyway, Jim Davis didn't like the voice and, when that short segment
led to the first GARFIELD animated special, they recast with Lorenzo.

Three of those FABULOUS FUNNIES specials aired over the years, each
saluting the newspaper strip with songs, cartoonist interviews, and
animated segments. A few years ago, Lee and I co-produced a fourth
one for CBS which has never aired. (CBS got on a "no specials" kick
and shelved about ten million dollars worth of completed specials.)
For this one, we did new animated segments of SHOE, BIG NATE, JUMP
START, ERNIE, and a few other never-before animated strips, plus
animated segments of PEANUTS, MOTHER GOOSE & GRIMM, GARFIELD, MOMMA
and a couple others. I suspect this show will never air, but Lee may
soon work a video deal to release all of them, including this last
one, on video.

G&L

Feb 25, 2003, 4:30:37ā€ÆPM2/25/03

RebbleDesign wrote:

> Does anyone remember an early '80s TV special that showcased animated segments
> of various comic strips (including early Garfield)? This was before there was
> ever a "Garfield" series. Anyhow, I remember the voice as being a bit deeper
> and a lot more sarcastic in tone. It wasn't Lorenzo Music; FWIW I liked that
> first voice better than the more familiar one they used in the series. It
> seemed more apropos, but then again that was back in the days when the strip
> was actually funny and Garfield looked and acted more like a real cat.

> http://www.rebble.com
> http://www.alleycat-art.com

Before Garfield there was Morris. That's whose voice I heard when I read the early
strips....y'know the ones in which he acted like a cat?
Gerard

TheShredder

Feb 25, 2003, 5:22:01ā€ÆPM2/25/03

> Anyway, Jim Davis didn't like the voice and, when that short segment
> led to the first GARFIELD animated special, they recast with Lorenzo.

Hmm, anyone know if the new voice is Davis approved? That'll give me a bit
more hope for this movie...

BTW; who would you cast as John? Plus there's probably always a chance the
'voice' of Odie might come back, heh.

Mike

Feb 26, 2003, 3:11:16ā€ÆPM2/26/03
Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote in message news:<vajn5v4jscbcb6s6e...@4ax.com>...

> Three of those FABULOUS FUNNIES specials aired over the years, each
> saluting the newspaper strip with songs, cartoonist interviews, and
> animated segments. A few years ago, Lee and I co-produced a fourth
> one for CBS which has never aired. (CBS got on a "no specials" kick
> and shelved about ten million dollars worth of completed specials.)

Interesting. Do you suppose that's why the early '90s special "Bugs
Bunny's Lunar Tunes," which was obviously produced for television,
instead went straight to video? (It wasn't shown on TV until Cartoon
Network aired it during a "June Bugs" marathon around 1997 or so.)

Mike

Mark Evanier

Feb 26, 2003, 6:56:00ā€ÆPM2/26/03
On 26 Feb 2003 12:11:16 -0800, mike...@postmark.net (Mike) posted:

>Interesting. Do you suppose that's why the early '90s special "Bugs
>Bunny's Lunar Tunes," which was obviously produced for television,
>instead went straight to video? (It wasn't shown on TV until Cartoon
>Network aired it during a "June Bugs" marathon around 1997 or so.)

ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of specials that they never
aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of at least one
producer who had a committment to produce an animated special, and CBS
went to him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon specials," so
they just paid him off.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 26, 2003, 8:59:29ā€ÆPM2/26/03
Wed, Feb 26, 2003, 11:56pm (EST+5), m...@evanier.com (MarkĀ Evanier)
wrote:

>On 26 Feb 2003 12:11:16 -0800,
>mike...@postmark.net (Mike) posted:
>>Interesting. Do you suppose that's why the early
>>"90s special "Bugs Bunny's Lunar Tunes," which
>>was obviously produced for television, instead
>>went straight to video? (It wasn't shown on TV
>>until Cartoon Network aired it during a "June
>>Bugs" marathon around 1997 or so.)
>ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of
>specials that they never
>aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of
>at least one producer who had a committment to
>produce an animated special, and CBS went to
>him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon
>specials," so they just paid him off.

Heh, if I knew how easy that was, I'd be a millionaire!

Too bad CBS isn't like the CBS I knew them for. I miss the days when I
got all excited after seeing the "CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION" tag twirl
into full view. I never felt so eurphoric than to watch that moment!
That's literally my trademark right there!

"I'm not interested in 27 movie channels of Japanese TV, but these days,
you need cable if you want to watch anything, it's ubiquitous."
- Thomas Wells, 41, Commerce TWP. Computer Salesman
(from The Detroit News, 6/28/2002)

Domo Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

From the Master of Car-too-nal Knowledge...
Christopher M. Sobieniak

--"Fightin' the Frizzies since 1978"--

DishRoom1

Feb 26, 2003, 9:24:17ā€ÆPM2/26/03
Mark Evanier wrote --

Mike wrote --

>>Interesting. Do you suppose that's why the early '90s special "Bugs
>>Bunny's Lunar Tunes," which was obviously produced for television,
>>instead went straight to video? (It wasn't shown on TV until Cartoon
>>Network aired it during a "June Bugs" marathon around 1997 or so.)
>
>ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of specials that they never
>aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of at least one
>producer who had a committment to produce an animated special, and CBS
>went to him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon specials," so
>they just paid him off.

That's very sad. I used to remember watching the "Peanuts" and "Garfield"
specails, "Rudoph the Red-nosed Reindeer" and such as on CBS in the 1970s and
1980s. Good thing that ABC continues showing "Peanuts", "Rudoph", anf "Frosty
the Snowman" since CBS disowned their broadcasting.

I Remember one "Garfield" special, "Garfield in the rough" in which Jon takes
Garfield and Odie camping. While the show had some good laughs, there was also
this damn cool panther that menaced the characters.

John Shughart

DishRoom1

Feb 26, 2003, 10:33:40ā€ÆPM2/26/03
Chris Sobienak wrote --

Mark Evanier wrote --

Mike wrote --

>>>Interesting. Do you suppose that's why the early

>>>"90s special "Bugs Bunny's Lunar Tunes," which
>>>was obviously produced for television, instead
>>>went straight to video? (It wasn't shown on TV
>>>until Cartoon Network aired it during a "June
>>>Bugs" marathon around 1997 or so.)
>>ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of
>>specials that they never
>>aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of
>>at least one producer who had a committment to
>>produce an animated special, and CBS went to
>>him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon
>>specials," so they just paid him off.
>
>Heh, if I knew how easy that was, I'd be a millionaire!
>
>Too bad CBS isn't like the CBS I knew them for. I miss the days when I
>got all excited after seeing the "CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION" tag twirl
>into full view. I never felt so eurphoric than to watch that moment!
>That's literally my trademark right there!

I remember that logo, too. As I recall, the letters (spelling the word
"special", I think) glowed in soft neon-like colors as they spun around before
finially being in full view of the screen, against a black blackground, while
with music that at first is played with a rapid rymthe of congo drums,
immediately followed by a exiting ending of bass horn intruments. Who could
forget anything like that?! :-)

John Shughart

ANIM8Rfsk

Feb 27, 2003, 12:07:13ā€ÆPM2/27/03
<< From: Mark Evanier m...@evanier.com >>

<< ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of specials that they never
aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of at least one
producer who had a committment to produce an animated special, and CBS
went to him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon specials," so
they just paid him off. >>

You've got to wonder how much stuff like that is warehoused. A friend of mine
created a comic strip that never sold, but they bought it for animation, and
produced a whole series for Fox Family, and then sold the network without
airing them. Now they are talking about making MORE even though nobody's ever
seen the batch they've made so far.

And, he gets paid per episode - WHEN THEY AIR.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 27, 2003, 10:52:36ā€ÆPM2/27/03
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003, 5:07pm (EST+5), anim...@aol.comNOSPAM
(ANIM8Rfsk) wrote:
>You've got to wonder how much stuff like that is
>warehoused. A friend of mine created a comic strip
>that never sold, but they bought it for animation,
>and produced a whole series for Fox Family, and
>then sold the network without airing them. Now
>they are talking about making MORE even though
>nobody's ever seen the batch they've made so far.
>And, he gets paid per episode - WHEN THEY AIR.

Given your message, I'm starting to get a sense of the situation. In
our fragmented modern society, a person who puts together something he
has sweated blood and guts at, could still get paid even if it's never
used at all. My grandparents would keel over if they heard about this
(or roll around in their graves)! Today's world is so mentally f__ked
at times.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 27, 2003, 10:48:37ā€ÆPM2/27/03
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003, 3:33am (EST+5), dish...@aol.com (DishRoom1)
wrote:
>Chris Sobienak wrote --
>>Too bad CBS isn't like the CBS I knew them for. I
>>miss the days when I got all excited after seeing
>>the "CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION" tag twirl
>>into full view. I never felt so eurphoric than to
>>watch that moment! That's literally my trademark
>>right there!
>I remember that logo, too. As I recall, the letters
>(spelling the word "special", I think) glowed in soft
>neon-like colors as they spun around before finially
>being in full view of the screen, against a black
>blackground, while with music that at first is played
>with a rapid rymthe of congo drums, immediately
>followed by a exiting ending of bass horn
>intruments. Who could forget anything like that?!
>:-)
>John Shughart

At least knowbody born after 1985 perhaps. They did stop using that
footage in the early '90s in favor of some CG-rendering that didn't have
any of it's former charm.

Oddly, this british TV site, http://www.tvark.co.uk/ has this opening in
their misc. page, though it appears to be from a late '80s broadcast
complete with a closed captioning logo, would rather like a clean
version like the ones I have on tape anyway. I even put together a
parody of the opening for some of my DivX captures of cartoons and other
rarities.

Love to see someone put together an Flash version of this opening if
they have a chance to! Should be pretty easy.

Chris Sobieniak

Feb 27, 2003, 10:41:14ā€ÆPM2/27/03
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003, 2:24am (EST+5), dish...@aol.com (DishRoom1)
wrote:
>Mark Evanier wrote --
>>ME: I dunno. But CBS bought a whole mess of
>>specials that they never
>>aired in the mid-to-late nineties. In fact, I know of
>>at least one producer who had a committment to
>>produce an animated special, and CBS went to
>>him and said, "We don't want any more cartoon
>>specials," so they just paid him off.
>That's very sad. I used to remember watching the
>"Peanuts" and "Garfield" specails, "Rudoph the
>Red-nosed Reindeer" and such as on CBS in the
>1970s and 1980s. Good thing that ABC continues
>showing "Peanuts", "Rudoph", anf "Frosty the
>Snowman" since CBS disowned their
>broadcasting.

Didn't know they play all three (doesn't CBS still own Rudolph?).

>I Remember one "Garfield" special, "Garfield in the
>rough" in which Jon takes Garfield and Odie
>camping. While the show had some good laughs,
>there was also this damn cool panther that
>menaced the characters.
>John Shughart

I remember that, have the original broadcast on tape too! This was the
first special to be produced by the then established Film Roman studios,
before the earlier two Garfield specials were produced at the BIll
Melendez studios. It was clear from this point on that the direction
for the later Garfield specials has been set. My personal fav was the
Halloween special the year later.

DishRoom1

Feb 28, 2003, 1:43:43ā€ÆPM2/28/03
Chirs Sobieniak wrote --

I wrote --

>>Chris Sobienak wrote --
>>>Too bad CBS isn't like the CBS I knew them for. I
>>>miss the days when I got all excited after seeing
>>>the "CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION" tag twirl
>>>into full view. I never felt so eurphoric than to
>>>watch that moment! That's literally my trademark
>>>right there!
>>I remember that logo, too. As I recall, the letters
>>(spelling the word "special", I think) glowed in soft
>>neon-like colors as they spun around before finially
>>being in full view of the screen, against a black
>>blackground, while with music that at first is played
>>with a rapid rymthe of congo drums, immediately
>>followed by a exiting ending of bass horn
>>intruments. Who could forget anything like that?!
>>:-)
>>John Shughart
>
>At least knowbody born after 1985 perhaps. They did stop using that
>footage in the early '90s in favor of some CG-rendering that didn't have
>any of it's former charm.

The new opening didn't impress me, either. :-p

>Oddly, this british TV site, http://www.tvark.co.uk/ has this opening in
>their misc. page, though it appears to be from a late '80s broadcast
>complete with a closed captioning logo, would rather like a clean
>version like the ones I have on tape anyway. I even put together a
>parody of the opening for some of my DivX captures of cartoons and other
>rarities.
>
>Love to see someone put together an Flash version of this opening if
>they have a chance to! Should be pretty easy.

That all sounds cool. :-)

John Shughart

lvi...@yahoo.com

Feb 28, 2003, 1:56:58ā€ÆPM2/28/03

According to Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com>:
:ME: I think this project (The GARFIELD movie) hasn't even finalized

:its script, hired one actor or shot one frame of film. So it might be
:a wee bit premature to decide how well it will do.

I've been seeing recently this trend for movie info to appear in the spring
relating to scripts being written, casting occuring, etc. for movies
to be released in a 6-9 month period.

Am I just more aware of things these days, or has the turn around time
on movies been reduced?

--
Join us at the Tenth Annual Tcl/Tk Conference <URL: http://mini.net/tcl/6274 >

ANIM8Rfsk

Mar 1, 2003, 1:30:03ā€ÆAM3/1/03
From Yahoo

Meyer, Hewitt top cats in 'Garfield'
By Zorianna Kit

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Jon Arbuckle, the perpetually
single owner of Garfield the cat in the long-running comic strip, is
about to get a live-action face in Breckin Meyer. The actor is in
negotiations to star as Arbuckle in 20th Century Fox's big-screen
live-action/CGI adaptation of "Garfield," with Jennifer Love Hewitt
finalizing a deal to play his love interest.

Peter Hewitt is directing the project, which John Davis is producing
through his Davis Entertainment. A March start date is being planned.

The comic strip centers on a rotund orange- and black-striped cat
named Garfield, his dull-witted canine cohort Odie and owner Arbuckle.
The 27-pound feline, first published in 1978, is known for his
laziness, wry remarks and love of lasagna.

The script, written by "Toy Story" scribes Joel Cohen and Alec
Sokolow, focuses on the rivalry between Garfield and Odie. The feature
is live-action, with a computer-generated Garfield.

Meyer, repped by the Gersh Agency, Brillstein-Grey Entertainment and
attorney David Webber, has numerous film and television credits to his
name, including the features "Kate & Leopold," "Rat Race," "Road Trip"
and "Go." Jennifer Love Hewitt, repped by CAA, recently wrapped
shooting Intermedia Films' "If Only."

ANIM8Rfsk

Mar 5, 2003, 12:21:47ā€ÆPM3/5/03
from the tv group:

Subject: Re: "Garfield" movie announces cast
From: <A HREF="mailto:keep...@hotmail.com ">keep...@hotmail.com </A> (The
Keeper)
Date: Mon, Mar 3, 2003 7:17 PM

diml...@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message

> From Yahoo
>
> Meyer, Hewitt top cats in 'Garfield'
> By Zorianna Kit
>
> LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Jon Arbuckle, the perpetually
> single owner of Garfield the cat in the long-running comic strip, is
> about to get a live-action face in Breckin Meyer. The actor is in

Breckin Meyer? Ugh.

> negotiations to star as Arbuckle in 20th Century Fox's big-screen
> live-action/CGI adaptation of "Garfield," with Jennifer Love Hewitt
> finalizing a deal to play his love interest.

Hewitt? Double ugh.

> Peter Hewitt is directing the project, which John Davis is producing
> through his Davis Entertainment. A March start date is being planned.
>
> The comic strip centers on a rotund orange- and black-striped cat
> named Garfield, his dull-witted canine cohort Odie and owner Arbuckle.
> The 27-pound feline, first published in 1978, is known for his
> laziness, wry remarks and love of lasagna.
>
> The script, written by "Toy Story" scribes Joel Cohen and Alec
> Sokolow, focuses on the rivalry between Garfield and Odie. The feature
> is live-action, with a computer-generated Garfield.

The Toy Story writers are good but I'd rather see Mark Evainer writing the
film.

> Meyer, repped by the Gersh Agency, Brillstein-Grey Entertainment and
> attorney David Webber, has numerous film and television credits to his
> name, including the features "Kate & Leopold," "Rat Race," "Road Trip"
> and "Go." Jennifer Love Hewitt, repped by CAA, recently wrapped
> shooting Intermedia Films' "If Only."

--
The Keeper

Aaron Hazouri

Mar 5, 2003, 10:46:21ā€ÆPM3/5/03
>...with Jennifer Love Hewitt

>> finalizing a deal to play his love interest.

A love interest? For Jon??

Why don't they just stick Jon, Garfield and Odie on a cruise to the Bahamas or
something and have Jon chase women (like he always does) and fail miserably
(like he always does)?

Well, anyway, I dug the cartoon Far more sophisticated than the usual kiddie
animated TV junk. Who does Jon's voice, anyway? The actor's name has slipped
my mind...

-Aaron