Anime on American TV Question

Terrence Briggs

Oct 28, 2008, 10:14:45 PM10/28/08
After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
spawned boom (1999-present).

Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm

A primer, but it's obviously incomplete, since it stops in the year
2000:

1960s

Astro Boy (1963)
8th Man (1965)
Gigantor (1966)
Prince Planet (1966)
Marine Boy (1966)
Kimba the White Lion (1966)
Speed Racer (1967)
The Amazing 3 (1967)

Battle of the Planets (1978)
Star Balzers (1979)
Force Five (1980)
SuperBook (1982)
Thunderbirds 2086 (1983)
Tekkaman the Space Knight (1984)
Voltron: Defender of the Universe (1984)
TranZor Z (1985)
Macron 1 (1985)
Robotech (1985)
Captain Harlock and the Queen of 1000 Years (1985)
Saber Riders and the Star Sheriffs (1987)

Dragon Warrior (1990)
Teknoman (1995)
Ronin Warriors (1995)
Sailor Moon (1995)
Dragon Ball (1995)
Eagle Riders (1996)
Samurai Pizza Cats (1996)
Dragon Ball Z (1997)
Pokemon (1998)
Digimon (1999)
Monster Rancher (1999)

Flint: Time Detective (2000)
Gundam Wing (2000)
Tenchi Muyo (2000)
Sailor Moon S and SuperS (2000)
Card Captors (2000)
Detective Conan (2000)
Blue Submarine 6 (2000)
Vision of Escaflowne (2000)
Pokemon GS (2000)

I'll worry about the particulars (such as ratings, viewership,
editing) later. I just want to compile, for the USENET archives, an
official list of anime series aired on US TV.

Help? Thanks. I'll check back with y'all next month.

Terrence Briggs, disappointed with Wall-E's meager $220 million box
office tally. What's wrong with you people? :-)
Peace to you...

Galen

Oct 28, 2008, 10:45:08 PM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
<mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
>spawned boom (1999-present).
>
>Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
>http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm
>
>A primer, but it's obviously incomplete, since it stops in the year
>2000:
>
>1960s
>
>Astro Boy (1963)
>8th Man (1965)
>Gigantor (1966)
>Prince Planet (1966)
>Marine Boy (1966)
>Kimba the White Lion (1966)
>Speed Racer (1967)
>The Amazing 3 (1967)

Princess Knight was aired in test markets but never in general
release. Hana No Ko Lun Lun had 3 episodes spliced together
and was released on HBO as the movie "Angel". Sci Fi channel
had anime movies on Sat morning, I think back in the 1990s;
it was the VHS era, anyway.

Dave Baranyi

Oct 28, 2008, 10:45:39 PM10/28/08

"Terrence Briggs" <mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why not go to the Adult Swim site itself: http://www.adultswim.com/shows/
for a list of anime that they have shown? (Look under the "Action" tab.)

Or else go to the Cartoon Network site:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/all_shows/index.html and page through
the "Shows" screens.

When you want the broadcast dates, check out the individual shows on ANN.

(You don't expect us to do your work for you, do you? <LOL>)

Dave Baranyi

Remysun

Oct 29, 2008, 12:24:04 AM10/29/08
You forgot Cowboy Bebop.

The Relic

Oct 28, 2008, 11:11:02 PM10/28/08

I seem to recall Sci-Fi Channel showing the 90s version of Tetsujin
28-go (Gigantor) on early mornings (they also showed Galaxy High School
for a very short time). There was also a show back around 1980 or so
that showed on one of the early cable channels, I think it was called
Sport Billy, that looked very much from Japan (the situation
seemed to involve a couple of Greek deities (I think Athena was there)
helping a boy excel in all sports). It's been so long I forget the
particulars.

Of course, there was that atrocious movie that showed a few times on
cable called After the Apocalypse, which spliced cheezy (as in
Velveeta) live footage with Angel's Egg...

just me

Oct 29, 2008, 12:40:35 PM10/29/08

Are you including the stuff on Comcast's On Demand?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 29, 2008, 12:45:16 PM10/29/08
<mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
>spawned boom (1999-present).

Huh? There haven't been complaints like that in years, at least
that I know of

>Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
>http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm
>
>A primer, but it's obviously incomplete, since it stops in the year
>2000:

<snip list; save some b/width and post space; just scroll up already!>

Remysun

Oct 29, 2008, 1:06:42 PM10/29/08
On Oct 28, 11:11 pm, The Relic <relic1...@ameritech.net> wrote:
> There was also a show back around 1980 or so
> that showed on one of the early cable channels, I think it was called
> Sport Billy, that looked very much from Japan (the situation
> seemed to involve a couple of Greek deities (I think Athena was there)
> helping a boy excel in all sports). It's been so long I forget the
> particulars.

Sport Billy-- only saw it once in an early 80's incarnation of the USA
Network's Cartoon Express.

haywood jablomy

Oct 29, 2008, 1:31:29 PM10/29/08

Didn't Filmation do Sport Billy or a version of it?

I recall that the main characters were Sport Billy and his sister Sport
Lily (ugh), sent from the "planet Olympus" to spread the gospel of good
sportsmanship... or something.

The Relic

Oct 29, 2008, 1:50:00 PM10/29/08

Ah, you're right. Just did a search, and it appears to have been made in
Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Billy
Guess I should have tried looking it up...

bobbie sellers

Oct 29, 2008, 2:55:35 PM10/29/08
Are you skipping the local presentations on PBS as KTEH
in San Jose where I got to see Dirty Pair, Ruin Explorers, Utena,
Sakura Wars and more around 2000?

Or the various Asian American Channels presentations of Blackjack,
Tenchi (various stories), Hikaru no Go, Paradise Kiss, Odin, Lost Universe,
and much more, mostly what I consider kid stuff in 2004-2007.

later
bliss at sfo xcalifornia dot com

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Patrick McNamara

Oct 29, 2008, 3:11:41 PM10/29/08

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
> <mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
>>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
>>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
>>spawned boom (1999-present).
>>
>>Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
>>http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm

Interestingly, it shows why there's few anime fans over 40. While there are
a few shows that came out in the 60s, anime didn't really become cool until
Star Blazers came out. It was like a drama when almost all American
animation were like sitcoms.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com

Terrence Briggs

Oct 29, 2008, 9:55:40 PM10/29/08

See, this is why I'm glad I asked USENET. I didn't even consider
adding syndicated film airings (such as Austin's Ghibli film
broadcasts, DC's late-night anime film airings, etc.). Local anime
broadcasts shouldn't be excluded. If you want to add that stuff, for
the sake of completeness, feel free. If I can open up a TV Guide and
see anime as part of the listings, I might as well add it to the pile.

My highest priority right now is the nationally syndicated stuff. In
the end, I want to be able to present some data as to how much anime
was actually available to US TV audiences.

>     Or the various Asian American Channels presentations of Blackjack,
> Tenchi (various stories), Hikaru no Go, Paradise Kiss, Odin, Lost Universe,
> and much more, mostly what I consider kid stuff in 2004-2007.

Well, if we're gonna include that, then I'm gonna have to air the
International Channel's Sunday night airings of subtitled Princess
Rogue, Earthian, Dragon Ball Z (unsubbed), and the like.

>     later
>     bliss at sfo xcalifornia dot com
>
> --
> bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Terrence Briggs, can't underestimate the compiled knowledge of otaku.
Peace to you...

Derek Janssen

Oct 30, 2008, 1:41:26 AM10/30/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
> <mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
>>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
>>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
>>spawned boom (1999-present).
>
> Huh? There haven't been complaints like that in years, at least
> that I know of

...NAWWWWW. Guess not. ^_^

Derek Janssen (apparently, those "lalala"'s really *do* work when you
stick your fingers in your ears...)
eja...@verizon.net

Patrick McNamara

Oct 30, 2008, 10:22:36 AM10/30/08

"Terrence Briggs" <mrman1...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> My highest priority right now is the nationally syndicated stuff. In
> the end, I want to be able to present some data as to how much anime
> was actually available to US TV audiences.

That's what makes the 60s, 70s and some of the 80s stuff particularly
difficult. Many of the syndicated shows depended upon what local channels
one received. If the local channel decided not to air the stuff then you
never saw it.

Invid Fan

Oct 30, 2008, 1:25:30 PM10/30/08
In article <geacj8$g1m$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Patrick McNamara
<writer...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
> > <mrman1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
> >>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
> >>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
> >>spawned boom (1999-present).
> >>
> >>Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
> >>http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm
> >>

> Interestingly, it shows why there's few anime fans over 40. While there are
> a few shows that came out in the 60s, anime didn't really become cool until
> Star Blazers came out. It was like a drama when almost all American
> animation were like sitcoms.

More importantly it tied in with Star Wars perfectly :)

It's that 10 year gap before Star Blazers that's interesting, though. I
know the Japanese film industry sort of imploded in the early 70's
(with the TOHO studio system dying), but no one in the US found a
Japanese series that could be adapted for less then the cost of
animating a new domestic one? Damn, but HB must have really low balled
the budgets....

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 30, 2008, 4:27:52 PM10/30/08

Oh I'm sorry, let me rephrase that: There haven't been complaints
like that *from people that matter* (*not* the Chronic Complainers) in

years, at least that I know of . . .

There's *one* thing you have in common with ELL!

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Patrick McNamara

Oct 31, 2008, 11:44:28 AM10/31/08

"Invid Fan" <in...@loclanet.com> wrote in message

> In article <geacj8$g1m$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Patrick McNamara
> <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Interestingly, it shows why there's few anime fans over 40. While there
>> are
>> a few shows that came out in the 60s, anime didn't really become cool
>> until
>> Star Blazers came out. It was like a drama when almost all American
>> animation were like sitcoms.
>
> More importantly it tied in with Star Wars perfectly :)

I'm sure the name "Star Blazers" was given to it deliberately to make it
seem like a Star Wars clone. It could even be argued that the current anime
fandom in NA was in a large part due to Star Wars.

> It's that 10 year gap before Star Blazers that's interesting, though. I
> know the Japanese film industry sort of imploded in the early 70's
> (with the TOHO studio system dying), but no one in the US found a
> Japanese series that could be adapted for less then the cost of
> animating a new domestic one? Damn, but HB must have really low balled
> the budgets....

The Korean and Vietnam wars could have had some effect. I wouldn't be
surprised if the first anime came because of exposure by Americans during
that time. But strong Americanism ("Buy American") and numerous studios
producing during the 70s likely kept foreign product limited. And much of
the stuff run during the 70s was stuff created during the 60s (especially HB
stuff), but there wasn't enough American animation from the 50s to fill
those gaps.

Then there's technology to consider. The 80s had smaller VCRs which meant
dubbing was cheaper and easier to do because it was easier to transfer
material. And the 80s also had computers which made syncing a little easier.
Although you'd still need a mainframe in those days for that level of
processing, modems, electronic mail and of course FAX machines existed which
could make transferring translations about easier and cheaper.

Bill Steele

Oct 31, 2008, 3:44:33 PM10/31/08
In article <gef96k$ggh$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
"Patrick McNamara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Interestingly, it shows why there's few anime fans over 40. While there
> >> are
> >> a few shows that came out in the 60s, anime didn't really become cool
> >> until
> >> Star Blazers came out. It was like a drama when almost all American
> >> animation were like sitcoms.
> >
> > More importantly it tied in with Star Wars perfectly :)
> >

> I'm sure the name "Star Blazers" was given to it deliberately to make it
> seem like a Star Wars clone. It could even be argued that the current anime
> fandom in NA was in a large part due to Star Wars.

I'll credit Star Wars for moving the entertainment industry toward fun
in place of "relevance." But I think the breakthrough for anime came
when Sailor Moon appeared in the Saturday morning network lineup. Its
success led the nets to bring in more, and the product tie-ins helped.
About the same time, cable channels started showing anime movies. I
recall seeing Nausicaa (or whatever they retitled it) on HBO about 20
years ago and thinking "Where did *this* come from?" Then it took a
small group of strange people to go find the original Japanese material
and start fansubbing it. And as someone else pointed out, we needed new
computer technology for that.

Derek Janssen

Oct 31, 2008, 5:12:28 PM10/31/08
Bill Steele wrote:

>>I'm sure the name "Star Blazers" was given to it deliberately to make it
>>seem like a Star Wars clone. It could even be argued that the current anime
>>fandom in NA was in a large part due to Star Wars.

In fall 1978, studios wanted a Star Wars-grabbing series FAST, and
American cartoon studios just weren't on the ball yet--
We got the occasional Darth-masked villain in Saturday morning series,
but US mainstream cartoons were still too rooted in what worked for
1975-76. (Scooby-Doo, superheroes, etc.)

Imports were grabbed on the basis that they had been doing spaceships a
few years before spaceships were cool, and had enough episodes
backlogged to strip-syndicate (and afternoon strip-syndication was still
a new invention, as it'd only been around since '74)...
And importers believed that as long as the characters didn't "look"
Asian, a name-rewrite here and there could fix any possible cultural
problems, and, like Speed Racer, no one would HAVE to know it was foreign.

> I'll credit Star Wars for moving the entertainment industry toward fun
> in place of "relevance." But I think the breakthrough for anime came
> when Sailor Moon appeared in the Saturday morning network lineup. Its
> success led the nets to bring in more, and the product tie-ins helped.

At the time, Sailor Moon was coattailing on the ability for Power
Rangers to be culturally white-washed for mainstream syndication--
Anything marketed for boys had to be marketed "for girls", too, and even
without that Saban thing (thank you, it's been mentioned), even DiC's
own early sales-pilots clearly weren't *as* interested in international
understanding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU41vPXXjNk
(See, she's a female lead character, just like on "Carmen Sandiego"!)

> About the same time, cable channels started showing anime movies. I
> recall seeing Nausicaa (or whatever they retitled it) on HBO about 20
> years ago and thinking "Where did *this* come from?" Then it took a
> small group of strange people to go find the original Japanese material
> and start fansubbing it. And as someone else pointed out, we needed new
> computer technology for that.

And even Nausicaa was marketed with a certain...*familiar* emphasis at
the time, back in the Streamline days:
http://www.impawards.com/1985/warriors_of_the_wind.html

(You'd think we would've NOTICED the Pegasus, robot and lightsabers in
the movie... 9_9
Who's that weird girl in blue, though, in the back of the picture?)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Invid Fan

Oct 31, 2008, 10:43:00 PM10/31/08
In article <ws21-0B48EE.1...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Bill
Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> > > More importantly it tied in with Star Wars perfectly :)
> > >

> > I'm sure the name "Star Blazers" was given to it deliberately to make it
> > seem like a Star Wars clone. It could even be argued that the current anime
> > fandom in NA was in a large part due to Star Wars.
>
> I'll credit Star Wars for moving the entertainment industry toward fun
> in place of "relevance." But I think the breakthrough for anime came
> when Sailor Moon appeared in the Saturday morning network lineup.

Um, Sailor Moon was a syndicated flop in the US :) I understand it did
well in Canada, but here it often got shoved into a 6 AM weekday slot
(the same place Exosquad went here in Buffalo once that started
syndication-only episodes). It was Cartoon Network starting to show
series, first already released ones then "new" stuff like Gundam Wing
that was the breakthrough. Anime has failed on the broadcast networks
for the most part, apart from the kiddy stuff.

> Its
> success led the nets to bring in more, and the product tie-ins helped.

No, it was Pokemon that brought in the product tie-ins.

> About the same time, cable channels started showing anime movies. I
> recall seeing Nausicaa (or whatever they retitled it) on HBO about 20
> years ago and thinking "Where did *this* come from?" Then it took a
> small group of strange people to go find the original Japanese material
> and start fansubbing it. And as someone else pointed out, we needed new
> computer technology for that.

As an old timer I'd say your timeline is a bit off. I mean, hell, we
were getting untranslated imported anime long before fansubs :)

William December Starr

Oct 31, 2008, 11:03:28 PM10/31/08
In article <311020082243008218%in...@loclanet.com>,
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> said:

> As an old timer I'd say your timeline is a bit off. I mean, hell,
> we were getting untranslated imported anime long before fansubs :)

True story: at an sf convention in the early 1980s, probably a
Boskone, I was walking down a hallway in the con hotel and passed an
room in which a crowd of people were watching a tape of an animated
sf drama[1] -- someone had actually hauled in a VCR machine and
hooked it up to the hotel room's tv.

The door was open so I watched for a few minutes and was _really_
impressed at the work that someone had put into crafting an alien
language for the characters' dialogue. And then I realized that I
was just hearing the original Japanese.

*1: I didn't know the word 'anime' back then.

-- wds

Invid Fan

Nov 1, 2008, 2:53:33 PM11/1/08
In article <geggu0$7tt$1...@panix3.panix.com>, William December Starr
<wds...@panix.com> wrote:

We didn't use the word 'anime'. It was Japanese Animation, or
"Japanimation". I never heard the term 'anime' until '90, give or take
a year or so. I always figured it was fans trying to find a new
non-mainstream term after places like Blockbusters set up Japanimation
sections :)
(we didn't use Japanese words for anything, really. Porns were
"Lemons", not hentai, named after the Cream Lemon series...)

Derek Janssen

Nov 1, 2008, 2:57:45 PM11/1/08
Invid Fan wrote:

>> *1: I didn't know the word 'anime' back then.
>>

> We didn't use the word 'anime'. It was Japanese Animation, or
> "Japanimation". I never heard the term 'anime' until '90, give or take
> a year or so. I always figured it was fans trying to find a new
> non-mainstream term after places like Blockbusters set up Japanimation
> sections :)

"Japanimation" was cool in the early 90's, until the name became too
association-linked with hideously white-washed Carl Macek Streamline
dubs, and seemed too mainstream--
That, and dopey non-fans and outsider-trolls thinking it stood for "Jap
animation". (Geez, that was annoying!)

More the former than the latter, however. Just like the "Trekkies" vs.
"TrekkERS" thing.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Astrobiochemist

Nov 2, 2008, 2:13:21 AM11/2/08

Oz no Mahōtsukai, AKA The Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986 aired
on HBO from 1987 to 1990, dubbed in English. I have fond memories of
watching this show before school in the late eighties (of course, from
the fact that I often mention this show here and no one else ever
seems to, I must be the only one).

ender

Nov 2, 2008, 5:17:25 AM11/2/08
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:13:21 -0700 (PDT), Astrobiochemist wrote:

> Oz no Mahōtsukai, AKA The Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986 aired
> on HBO from 1987 to 1990, dubbed in English. I have fond memories of
> watching this show before school in the late eighties (of course, from
> the fact that I often mention this show here and no one else ever
> seems to, I must be the only one).

Now that you mentioned it, I went to look it up, and this seems to be the
same Wizard of Oz I was watching on one of the local TV stations myself in
about the same timeframe. I remember liking it very much, and I may still
have it taped somewhere (though no way to check that, as we haven't had a
VCR for more than 10 years now).

--
< ender ><><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.

Lee Ratner

Nov 3, 2008, 6:42:26 AM11/3/08
> Oz no Mahôtsukai, AKA The Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986 aired

> on HBO from 1987 to 1990, dubbed in English.  I have fond memories of
> watching this show before school in the late eighties (of course, from
> the fact that I often mention this show here and no one else ever
> seems to, I must be the only one).

I think HBO also aired some of the World Masterpiece anime and
Nick aired some anime based on Grimm's fairytales and some other
random anime.

Patrick McNamara

Nov 3, 2008, 9:39:11 AM11/3/08

"ender" <ec...@arnes.si> wrote in message

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:13:21 -0700 (PDT), Astrobiochemist wrote:
>
>> Oz no Mahōtsukai, AKA The Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986 aired
>> on HBO from 1987 to 1990, dubbed in English. I have fond memories of
>> watching this show before school in the late eighties (of course, from
>> the fact that I often mention this show here and no one else ever
>> seems to, I must be the only one).
>
> Now that you mentioned it, I went to look it up, and this seems to be the
> same Wizard of Oz I was watching on one of the local TV stations myself in
> about the same timeframe. I remember liking it very much, and I may still
> have it taped somewhere (though no way to check that, as we haven't had a
> VCR for more than 10 years now).

There was also the Rankin Bass series, "Tales from the Wizard of OZ" which
played on TV. But that aired more around the 60s and 70s and there's a very
obvious difference in animation style.

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Nov 3, 2008, 9:50:07 AM11/3/08
Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@gmail.com> wa:

>After reading the complaints about Adult Swim anime getting the
>"mistreatment" from Cartoon Network, I've been trying to chart the
>sheer volume of anime on US television during this recent Pokemon-
>spawned boom (1999-present).

>Obviously, I started with anime-on-tv:
>http://www.animeontv.com/mg/anime_tv_history.htm

>A primer, but it's obviously incomplete, since it stops in the year
>2000:

>1960s
<snip>

1980s
Mysterious Cities of Gold (Nickelodeon)
Belle and Sebastian (Nickelodeon)
Unico, various (Disney Channel)

2006
Oban Star Racers (Toon Disney)

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

Chris Sobieniak

Nov 3, 2008, 3:08:20 PM11/3/08

I think HBO aired the Tom Sawyer series while Nick aired "Grimm's
Fairy Tale Classics". Both shows were originally produced by Nippon
Animation Co., Ltd.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Nov 3, 2008, 4:05:09 PM11/3/08
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:08pm-0800, Chris Sobieniak <Sobi...@gmail.com>:

IIRC, Nick also aired Maya the Bee and The Little Koala.

(Shows not all anime are otaku-fodder.)

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Chris Sobieniak

Nov 4, 2008, 2:22:08 AM11/4/08
On Nov 3, 4:05 pm, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
wrote:
> Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:08pm-0800, Chris Sobieniak <Sobien...@gmail.com>:

> > On Nov 3, 6:42 am, Lee Ratner <LBRat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >     I think HBO also aired some of the World Masterpiece anime and
> > > Nick aired some anime based on Grimm's fairytales and some other
> > > random anime.
>
> > I think HBO aired the Tom Sawyer series while Nick aired "Grimm's
> > Fairy Tale Classics".  Both shows were originally produced by Nippon
> > Animation Co., Ltd.
>
> IIRC, Nick also aired Maya the Bee and The Little Koala.
>
> (Shows not all anime are otaku-fodder.)
>
> Laters. =)
>
>                 Stan

Now you got me thinking of Belle & Sebastian all over again!

Ted

Nov 6, 2008, 2:38:09 PM11/6/08
SciFi Channel was showing some features in the mid-'90s (and as a
recurring thing). I'm sure that's where I first watched Akira. I want to
say I was a sophomore in college, which would make it '94-95, but I'm
not certain of that.

Derek Janssen

Nov 6, 2008, 2:49:50 PM11/6/08

Basically most of the Streamline catalog (yes, including that dopey
"cockroach" thing), the main A-ko/Beautiful Dreamer marketing horses for
CPM (including a great "excerpt" preview for UY:BD to explain to
neophytes), "EYES of Mars" because it was public domain, and isolated
segments of "Robot Carnival" whenever they needed ten to twenty minutes
of filler at the end.

But then, SFC was a simpler, more innocent place, back then... :(

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net