8/15-17 Weekend BoxOffice

Juan F. Lara

Aug 20, 2008, 5:32:29 PM8/20/08
Information taken from Brandon Gray's
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars $14,611,273 3,452 $4,232 $14,611,273
12 Fly Me to the Moon - 3D $1,900,523 452 $4,204 $1,900,523
13 9 Wall-E $1,836,332 -41.5% 1,403 -741 $1,308 $214,129,943
17 11 Space Chimps $775,152 -56.1% 768 -863 $1,009 $27,568,802
24 18 Kung Fu Panda $283,677 -40.1% 264 -144 $1,074 $211,933,936
73 61 Horton Hears a Who $8,403 -49.9% 31 -18 $271 $154,507,380

"Clone Wars" opened to a mild per theater average. That's about all it
could've hoped for, as it's pretty much just a TV show pilot used as a big
screen commercial. I expect the film to tumble in the coming weeks,
especially after seeing the critical reception.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clone_wars/

Gee, even the Ewoks movies have better ratings if you beleive RT. :-D

"Fly Me to the Moon" opened with just about the same PTA. But this is a
3D movie, which the few commercials make such a big deal about. That means
that its tickets are more expensive, and so its boxoffice looks less
impressive. And Rotten Tomatoes also shows that FMttM shares something else
with "Clone Wars". :-)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009249-fly_me_to_the_moon/

Wow, "Space Chimps" doesn't seem so bad now. :-)

In other news, "Wall-E" finally edged pass "Kung Fu Panda".

- Juan F. Lara

Patrick McNamara

Aug 20, 2008, 6:51:04 PM8/20/08

"Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message

> Information taken from Brandon Gray's
> http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
>
> 3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars $14,611,273 3,452 $4,232
> $14,611,273
> 12 Fly Me to the Moon - 3D $1,900,523 452 $4,204
> $1,900,523
> 13 9 Wall-E $1,836,332 -41.5% 1,403 -741 $1,308
> $214,129,943
> 17 11 Space Chimps $775,152 -56.1% 768 -863 $1,009
> $27,568,802
> 24 18 Kung Fu Panda $283,677 -40.1% 264 -144 $1,074
> $211,933,936
> 73 61 Horton Hears a Who $8,403 -49.9% 31 -18 $271
> $154,507,380
>
> "Clone Wars" opened to a mild per theater average. That's about all
> it
> could've hoped for, as it's pretty much just a TV show pilot used as a big
> screen commercial. I expect the film to tumble in the coming weeks,
> especially after seeing the critical reception.

While I expect the TV series will do well, it appears that Star Wars is
over. There's only so much Lucas can milk that franchise.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com

Derek Janssen

Aug 20, 2008, 7:02:08 PM8/20/08
Patrick McNamara wrote:
> "Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> "Clone Wars" opened to a mild per theater average. That's about all
>>it
>>could've hoped for, as it's pretty much just a TV show pilot used as a big
>>screen commercial. I expect the film to tumble in the coming weeks,
>>especially after seeing the critical reception.
>
> While I expect the TV series will do well, it appears that Star Wars is
> over. There's only so much Lucas can milk that franchise.

For the Nth time, don't think Lucas wasn't "milking the franchise", so
much as realizing that the spinoff series *was* a perfectly good
fan-canon idea on paper, but Genndy Tartakovsky??--Sheesh, what the hell
was he THINKING, last time??...Do-over!

Derek Janssen (but...y'know..."Samurai Jack" was supposed to be all
artsy-like! And he's not going to do that Muppet thing, either?)
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 20, 2008, 7:30:38 PM8/20/08
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:02:08 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Patrick McNamara wrote:
>> "Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Clone Wars" opened to a mild per theater average. That's about all
>>>it
>>>could've hoped for, as it's pretty much just a TV show pilot used as a big
>>>screen commercial. I expect the film to tumble in the coming weeks,
>>>especially after seeing the critical reception.
>>
>> While I expect the TV series will do well, it appears that Star Wars is
>> over. There's only so much Lucas can milk that franchise.
>
>For the Nth time, don't think Lucas wasn't "milking the franchise", so
>much as realizing that the spinoff series *was* a perfectly good
>fan-canon idea on paper, but Genndy Tartakovsky??--Sheesh, what the hell
>was he THINKING, last time??...Do-over!

Nope, IIRC people loved Gendy's designs, and further loved the
darker tone of the series . . .

>Derek Janssen (but...y'know..."Samurai Jack" was supposed to be all
>artsy-like! And he's not going to do that Muppet thing, either?)

Uhhh, yes, Samurai Jack did indeed have an artsy tone to it; not
idea where the Muppet thing's coming from . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Derek Janssen

Aug 20, 2008, 7:39:40 PM8/20/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

>>For the Nth time, don't think Lucas wasn't "milking the franchise", so
>>much as realizing that the spinoff series *was* a perfectly good
>>fan-canon idea on paper, but Genndy Tartakovsky??--Sheesh, what the hell
>>was he THINKING, last time??...Do-over!
>
>> (but...y'know..."Samurai Jack" was supposed to be all
>>artsy-like! And he's not going to do that Muppet thing, either?)
>
> Uhhh, yes, Samurai Jack did indeed have an artsy tone to it; not
> idea where the Muppet thing's coming from . . .

(Uh, "Power of the Dark Crystal", currently RIP, back when producers
still naively believed Genndy had a CGI future ahead of him outside of
Dexter's Laboratory.)

Derek Janssen (it was probably DeeDee's fault the financing fell
through!) @_@
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 21, 2008, 12:48:04 AM8/21/08
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:39:40 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>>
>>>For the Nth time, don't think Lucas wasn't "milking the franchise", so
>>>much as realizing that the spinoff series *was* a perfectly good
>>>fan-canon idea on paper, but Genndy Tartakovsky??--Sheesh, what the hell
>>>was he THINKING, last time??...Do-over!
>>
>>> (but...y'know..."Samurai Jack" was supposed to be all
>>>artsy-like! And he's not going to do that Muppet thing, either?)
>>
>> Uhhh, yes, Samurai Jack did indeed have an artsy tone to it; not
>> idea where the Muppet thing's coming from . . .
>
>(Uh, "Power of the Dark Crystal", currently RIP, back when producers
>still naively believed Genndy had a CGI future ahead of him outside of
>Dexter's Laboratory.)

Samurai Jack and Clone Wars have very much proven Genndy has a
future beyond Dexter's Lab. The only question: what's next?

--

- ReFlex76