Private SNAFU!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jan 21, 2009, 12:18:14 AM1/21/09
The Der Fuhrer's Face posting reminded me that Warner Brothers did
quite a few WWII propaganda toons too, and I remembered one,
specifically Private SNAFU.

Meant for military viewing, they didn't have to worry about the
Hayes Code, so quite a few things you'd never see in a Bugs Bunny
cartoon were allowed; and, of course, being WWII propaganda cartoons,
the depictions of Germans, Italians, and especially Japanese were
unabashedly racist.

A lot of these were writen by Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Guissel, so lots
of clever rhyming abounds! Another talent note: yes, that's Mel Blanc
voicing SNAFU; it may be a bit disconcerting hearing a very Bugs Bunny
voice cursing!

Because these were not meant for public viewing, eventhough some of
them ended up as extras on the big Looney Tunes collections, they fall
into more of a legal gray area. Still, I guess "view them while you
can" applies; this is as close to chronologically correct as I could
get 'em . . .:

Coming Snafu - The promo, basically. While telling us what S.N.A.F.U.
stands for, they also show how far they will *not* go! (hint: what the
"F" *really* stands for):

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGDf4oni7Q>

Spies - Great Seuss-ing rhyming telling soldiers why it's important to
keep your mouth shut, even on trivial things. A "Hell" of an ending!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FmhPY-YEAA>

Goldbrick - A guide on why half-assing your job will lead a very
unpleasant ending; some nice pin-ups at the start . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMVpFUWXq4>

The Infantry Blues - Telling infantry complainers that other branches
of the service also have hardships . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMLxPhzigw>

Fighting Tools - As SNAFU fights off a German, his equipment
repeatedly fails due to poor maintenance; while SNAFU doesn't get
killed in this one, "end" still applies on another level, as we get
the first look at a naked SNAFU's all too bare rear!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APOprGM35Pg>

Home Front - First appearance of Technical Fairy First Class, showing
SNAFU that the folks back home are also doing their part . . ..:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dW5JM8qpY>

Rumors - On how out-of-control rumors can ruin a base's morale . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_zszHmRP0>

Booby Traps - The title ends up being so appropriate! This one is on
why soldiers should be extra wary of territory freshly vacated by the
enemy. The desert setting relates to the North African Front. Pay
special attention to the tune SNAFU plays on the booby-trapped piano,
this becomes quite famous a few years later when done by Bugs Bunny!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZ7dZKo8YM>

Snafuperman - Private SNAFU is given superpowers by Technical Fairy
First Class, and still finds a way to F things Up!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrqde5gdaI>

Malaria Mike - Lessons on what to do, and what *not* to do in
malaria-infested territory. Great shot of a tree exhibiting various
malaria symptoms half-way through. In the end, SNAFU gets rather
specific on ways to avoid getting malaria . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvbUfe_bf2A>

Camouflage - TFFC give a lecture on proper camouflage technique, with
a good dose of Looney Tunes quirkiness! Check out the mermaids TFFC
ends up with to see one place the animators were willing to cross the
line!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op330wC8HjM>

Gas - Proper use and maintenance of a gas mask, and how to identify
potential threats. Look for a cameo by a certain famous Looney Tunes
character!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiYymoXwu50>

The Chow Hound - A bull makes the ultimate sacrifice for the war, yet
it's SNAFU who blows his efforts . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyKyucGBbYM>

Censored - Why any correspondance is subject to the Censor Office;
look closely for a *very* personal peek at SNAFU's girlfriend!:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eD3cnRLyKE>

Outpost - On why every little detail from an the most farflung outpost
counts . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_YCX01MCQ>

The Aleutians - A guide for soldiers going to the Aleutian lslands on
what to expect; lots of Looney Tunes quirkiness again . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se1cw5JtuiM>

The Hot Spot - A guide for soilders going to Iran on what to expect;
still more Looney Tunes quirkiness . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGQnYV43NM>

Going Home - More on why soldiers should be careful about what they
say . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YAnoT9Wqpo>

Seaman TARFU - Introduction of SNAFU's Navy brother, with overtones of
inter-branch rivalry . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBcBm14NJtI>

Anyway, that's all the available ones; a lot of the SNAFU 'toons
may be lost forever, kinda putting these in special perspective . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Derek Janssen

Jan 21, 2009, 12:23:42 AM1/21/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> The Der Fuhrer's Face posting reminded me that Warner Brothers did
> quite a few WWII propaganda toons too, and I remembered one,
> specifically Private SNAFU.

...Uh, you mean the one they've been sampling as bonus features across
the last six Warner Golden boxes, now that the complete Bosco DVD seems
to be out of print? :)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jan 21, 2009, 12:59:06 AM1/21/09

Actually about five, the rest being much harder to find . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Patrick McNamara

Jan 21, 2009, 9:19:00 AM1/21/09

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> The Der Fuhrer's Face posting reminded me that Warner Brothers did
> quite a few WWII propaganda toons too, and I remembered one,
> specifically Private SNAFU.
>
> Meant for military viewing, they didn't have to worry about the
> Hayes Code, so quite a few things you'd never see in a Bugs Bunny
> cartoon were allowed; and, of course, being WWII propaganda cartoons,
> the depictions of Germans, Italians, and especially Japanese were
> unabashedly racist.

> Because these were not meant for public viewing, eventhough some of
> them ended up as extras on the big Looney Tunes collections, they fall
> into more of a legal gray area. Still, I guess "view them while you
> can" applies; this is as close to chronologically correct as I could
> get 'em . . .:

They're not illegal, just not something that studios want to show to the
public. They have more to fear from public outcry than the law. If they did
release the material it would have to have some sort of mature rating, but
they don't want the studio to be seen as racist and as such tend to keep the
stuff locked away.

Of course the Japanese have no trouble depicting racist portrayals of
Americans in their animation.

ron.b...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2009, 12:34:03 AM1/22/09
Patrick McNamara wrote:
[...]

> Of course the Japanese have no trouble depicting
> racist portrayals of Americans in their animation.

How so? What characteristics do WASPs have that lend themselves to
that? And I thought most anime actually Americanizes their characters
(i.e., they sure don't look Japanese to me...)

Ron

Ted

Jan 22, 2009, 3:07:43 PM1/22/09

One of the small houses (I think Thunderbean) has said (or has implied)
they will be doing a release, with one or two newly discovered SNAFUs.

Here's an initial thread
http://www.animationshow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4111
tho this is not the thread that implied or stated an eventual release.

Derek Janssen

Jan 22, 2009, 3:29:50 PM1/22/09
Ted wrote:

>>> The Der Fuhrer's Face posting reminded me that Warner Brothers did
>>> quite a few WWII propaganda toons too, and I remembered one,
>>> specifically Private SNAFU.
>>

>> ...Uh, you mean the one they've been sampling as bonus features across
>> the last six Warner Golden boxes, now that the complete Bosco DVD
>> seems to be out of print?
>
> One of the small houses (I think Thunderbean) has said (or has implied)
> they will be doing a release, with one or two newly discovered SNAFUs.

The Golden boxsets finally dug up a few previously-undiscovered Sailor
Hook cartoons not seen on the Bosco disk ("Tokyo Woes" could hold its
own against "Russian Rhapsody" for Clampett Lowbrow Wartime Insanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rieb-xDvPxI :) ), but the Hooks
discovered all seem to have been servicemen buy-bond rallies.
Guess the Navy didn't need as much training.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Invid Fan

Jan 22, 2009, 5:05:51 PM1/22/09
In article
<61290ede-b458-4e01...@r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com>,
<"ron.b...@gmail.com"> wrote:

> Patrick McNamara wrote:
> [...]
> > Of course the Japanese have no trouble depicting
> > racist portrayals of Americans in their animation.
>
> How so? What characteristics do WASPs have that lend themselves to
> that?

Attitude more then physical appearance :)

> And I thought most anime actually Americanizes their characters
> (i.e., they sure don't look Japanese to me...)

No human has big eyes, if that's what you're talking about.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Invid Fan

Jan 22, 2009, 7:22:14 PM1/22/09
In article <2H4el.1309$Aw2...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> >> ...Uh, you mean the one they've been sampling as bonus features across
> >> the last six Warner Golden boxes, now that the complete Bosco DVD
> >> seems to be out of print?
> >
> > One of the small houses (I think Thunderbean) has said (or has implied)
> > they will be doing a release, with one or two newly discovered SNAFUs.
>
> The Golden boxsets finally dug up a few previously-undiscovered Sailor
> Hook cartoons not seen on the Bosco disk

You know, I never noticed it was a "Bosko Video" like the two Bosko
discs. As they were all from Image, I assumed it was the same company
that put out the UB Iwerks an Van Beuren collections, Blackhawk Films.
We need more collections like that...