[Semi-OT NEWS] "I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated"

1 view

Your Name

Mar 22, 2009, 5:28:11 PM3/22/09
This is NOT the up-coming live-action movie based on the Avatar: The Last
Airbender animated TV show.

This news article from Comingsoon.net perhaps shows that computer animation
is fast becoming even more realistic (or perhaps shows that even TIME
reporters are don't use their brains) ...

TIME Watches Footage From Cameron's Avatar
TIME magazine has published a new article talking about upcoming 3-D
movie
projects and the writer of the piece, Josh Quittner, got a chance to
see
footage from James Cameron's highly-anticipated Avatar, which 20th
Century
Fox will release on December 18. The sci-fi action-adventure stars Sam
Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez,
Giovanni
Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes
Studi, Stephen Lang and Matt Gerald.

Here are a few excerpts from the article:

More than a thousand people have worked on it, at a
cost in excess of $200 million, and it represents digital
filmmaking's bleeding edge. Cameron wrote the
treatment for it in 1995 as a way to push his
digital-production company to its limits. The movie
pioneers two unrelated technologies -- e-motion capture,
which uses images from tiny cameras rigged to actors'
heads to replicate their expressions, and digital 3-D.

The film is set in the future, and most of the action
takes place on a mythical planet, Pandora. The actors
work in an empty studio; Pandora's lush jungle-aquatic
environment is computer-generated in New Zealand by
Jackson's special-effects company, Weta Digital, and
added later.

I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated --
even knowing that the 9-ft.-tall blue, dappled dude
couldn't possibly be real. The scenes were so startling
and absorbing that the following morning, I had the
peculiar sensation of wanting to return there, as if
Pandora were real.

Hopefully we'll get to see some footage from the film soon as well!
You can read the full article here:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1886541-1,00.html

Derek Janssen

Mar 22, 2009, 4:35:52 PM3/22/09
Your Name wrote:

> This news article from Comingsoon.net perhaps shows that computer animation
> is fast becoming even more realistic (or perhaps shows that even TIME
> reporters are don't use their brains) ...

Or that they're really, really old grownups who don't play PS3, like
Jim, and are just finding out about this now.

Derek Janssen (I just want Marvel to do one direct-video using the
cutscene MoCap from "Ultimate Alliance"...Is that so wrong??)
eja...@verizon.net

Patrick McNamara

Mar 22, 2009, 5:39:01 PM3/22/09

"Your Name" <your...@isp.com> wrote in message

> TIME Watches Footage From Cameron's Avatar

> Here are a few excerpts from the article:
>

> I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated --
> even knowing that the 9-ft.-tall blue, dappled dude
> couldn't possibly be real. The scenes were so startling
> and absorbing that the following morning, I had the
> peculiar sensation of wanting to return there, as if
> Pandora were real.

It seems the term "live action/animated" has become obsolete.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 22, 2009, 5:26:36 PM3/22/09
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:35:52 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Your Name wrote:
>
>> This news article from Comingsoon.net perhaps shows that computer animation
>> is fast becoming even more realistic (or perhaps shows that even TIME
>> reporters are don't use their brains) ...
>
>Or that they're really, really old grownups who don't play PS3, like
>Jim, and are just finding out about this now.

PS3? Not X-Box 360? Not PC? PC has a tendency to be the superior
every time . . .

--

- ReFlex76