[NEWS] Dinotrux from DreamWorks

1 view

Your Name

Mar 10, 2009, 3:50:01 PM3/10/09
A new project from DreamWorks. This is from ComingSoon.net ...

DreamWorks Animation Options Dinotrux
DreamWorks Animation has optioned rights to "Dinotrux,"
an illustrated children's book that will be developed as a
CG-animated film, reports Variety.

Written by Chris Gall, the 32-page book takes place in a
fictional prehistoric age, when the world was ruled by
Dinotrux, creatures that were part trucks, part dinosaurs,
with species like the Craneosauraus, Garbageadon and
Tyrannosaurus Trux plowing and bulldozing their way
across the terrain.

The title characters will be talking creatures.

"Dinotrux" will be published in April by Little, Brown.

Hmmmm ... a 32-page book somehow becomes a two-hour movie. Looks like
another Hollyweird "based on" movie that is almost nothing like the
original. :-(

Derek Janssen

Mar 10, 2009, 5:09:12 PM3/10/09
Your Name wrote:
> A new project from DreamWorks. This is from ComingSoon.net ...
>
> DreamWorks Animation Options Dinotrux
> DreamWorks Animation has optioned rights to "Dinotrux,"
> an illustrated children's book that will be developed as a
> CG-animated film, reports Variety.
>
> Written by Chris Gall, the 32-page book takes place in a
> fictional prehistoric age, when the world was ruled by
> Dinotrux, creatures that were part trucks, part dinosaurs,
> with species like the Craneosauraus, Garbageadon and
> Tyrannosaurus Trux plowing and bulldozing their way
> across the terrain.
>
> The title characters will be talking creatures.
>
> "Dinotrux" will be published in April by Little, Brown.
>
> Hmmmm ... a 32-page book somehow becomes a two-hour movie.

("Somehow" = Note the future tense on "Will be published next month":
As in, either commissioned, or bought and licensed before they'd
actually read the book.)

> Looks like
> another Hollyweird "based on" movie that is almost nothing like the
> original.

Well, it's a step up for DW--
William Steig's "Shrek" only had 24 pages.

Derek Janssen (same as "Ant Bully")
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 10, 2009, 6:17:10 PM3/10/09
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:50:01 +1300, "Your Name" <your...@isp.com>
wrote:

Considreing "the original" hasn't been published yet, it's safe to
say it's *way* too early to make judgments; franky, anyone who uses
the term "Hollyweird" is more open to being judged . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Your Name

Mar 11, 2009, 1:59:59 AM3/11/09

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

The book will be published "ie. released" next month, but draft copies will
have been around for quite a while by now ... plus I think the same author
may have written another similar book before, but based closer to this age
rather than the prehistoric one (I saw pre-release copies of a book with
car-based animal characters a year or two back). :-)

Your Name

Mar 11, 2009, 2:04:05 AM3/11/09

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

Whether the book has been published or not is irrelevant top what I said. I
was saying that trying to make a 32-page kids' book fill a two-hour movie is
going to be very difficult without making the usual changes that mean it's
not really anything like the book.

> franky, anyone who uses the term "Hollyweird" is more open to being judged
. . .

Are you trying to say Hollywood is actually "normal"?!? Even if that were
remotely true, "Hollynormal" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. ;-)

Joseph Nebus

Mar 11, 2009, 9:37:40 AM3/11/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

>On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:50:01 +1300, "Your Name" <your...@isp.com>
>wrote:

>>A new project from DreamWorks. This is from ComingSoon.net ...
>>

>> Written by Chris Gall, the 32-page book takes place in a
>> fictional prehistoric age, when the world was ruled by
>> Dinotrux, creatures that were part trucks, part dinosaurs,
>> with species like the Craneosauraus, Garbageadon and
>> Tyrannosaurus Trux plowing and bulldozing their way
>> across the terrain.
>>

>>Hmmmm ... a 32-page book somehow becomes a two-hour movie. Looks like
>>another Hollyweird "based on" movie that is almost nothing like the
>>original. :-(

> Considreing "the original" hasn't been published yet, it's safe to
>say it's *way* too early to make judgments; franky, anyone who uses
>the term "Hollyweird" is more open to being judged . . .

I agree in the judgement of people who call it ``Hollyweird'',
particularly when the offense is just making movies with odd premises.

I bet this won't have near the charm of I Love BubuChaCha, though.

--
Joseph Nebus

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 11, 2009, 6:00:02 PM3/11/09
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:04:05 +1300, "Your Name" <your...@isp.com>
wrote:

>"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:50:01 +1300, "Your Name" <your...@isp.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmmmm ... a 32-page book somehow becomes a two-hour movie. Looks like
>> > another Hollyweird "based on" movie that is almost nothing like the
>> > original. :-(
>>
>> Considreing "the original" hasn't been published yet, it's safe to
>> say it's *way* too early to make judgments;
>
>Whether the book has been published or not is irrelevant top what I said. I
>was saying that trying to make a 32-page kids' book fill a two-hour movie is
>going to be very difficult without making the usual changes that mean it's
>not really anything like the book.

Time will tell, then . . .

>> franky, anyone who uses the term "Hollyweird" is more open to being judged
>. . .
>
>Are you trying to say Hollywood is actually "normal"?!?

Hollywood may have its eccentricities, but that doesn't merit
bizzarro compound names . . .

Even if that were
>remotely true, "Hollynormal" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. ;-)

"Hollywood" works just fine; though the actual city of Hollywood
isn't as involved with the studios as Burbank, Glendale, and a good
part of Los Angeles . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Your Name

Mar 11, 2009, 8:36:58 PM3/11/09

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:04:05 +1300, "Your Name" <your...@isp.com>
> wrote:
> >"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> franky, anyone who uses the term "Hollyweird" is more open to being
judged
> >. . .
> >
> >Are you trying to say Hollywood is actually "normal"?!?
>
> Hollywood may have its eccentricities, but that doesn't merit
> bizzarro compound names . . .

I won't even tell you about Microsloth and Windoze then. ;-)

> >Even if that were remotely true, "Hollynormal" doesn't quite have
>> the same ring to it. ;-)
>
> "Hollywood" works just fine; though the actual city of Hollywood
> isn't as involved with the studios as Burbank, Glendale, and a good
> part of Los Angeles . . .

True, but "Hollywood" is usually understood to mean the movie business
(studios, actors, etc.) rather than the particular area of Los Angeles.

Juan F. Lara

Mar 12, 2009, 2:31:44 PM3/12/09
In article <gp6g9c$5c6$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Your Name <your...@isp.com> wrote:
>A new project from DreamWorks. This is from ComingSoon.net ...
> Written by Chris Gall, the 32-page book takes place in a
> fictional prehistoric age, when the world was ruled by
> Dinotrux, creatures that were part trucks, part dinosaurs,
> with species like the Craneosauraus, Garbageadon and
> Tyrannosaurus Trux plowing and bulldozing their way
> across the terrain.

Um, WTF?

You sure this is a new children's book, and not a toyline proprosal from
an especially sucky Mattel executive? X-P

Ye Gods, sounds like someone thought combining transformers and dinosaurs
would be merchandising gold. :-P

- Juan F. Lara

Your Name

Mar 12, 2009, 4:30:05 PM3/12/09

"Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message

Not toys as such, but these ride-on vehicles for kids are already available
(although nothing to do with the book as far as I know) ...

Triceratops Monster Truck
http://store.dinosaurcorporation.com/triceratops1.html

T-Rex Monster Truck
http://store.dinosaurcorporation.com/trexcar.html

I can't say that the cover image of the DinoTrux book gives much hope for a
good looking movie if DreamWorks tries to stick exactly to the author's
original designs. http://www.chrisgall.com/images/dinotrux_small.jpg With a
bit of cleaning up they might look quite good though.

I remember last night that the other book wasn't different animal trucks,
but just trucks based on different dog breeds and was by a different author.
It's called "TruckDogs" written by Graeme Base. This book is aimed at
slightly older kids and has a much better design style for making an
animated movie from .. although perhaps a little too close to Cars for
comfort. http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/16030000/16034413.JPG

Patrick McNamara

Mar 14, 2009, 9:05:27 AM3/14/09

"Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message

Transformers already did it, both in the orginal series then again in
Beasties/Beast Wars. And even Truckzilla has been around since the 70s
(although it's not as well known now). The idea isn't all that new.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com