spanish hog fish,Okayy for reef???

Robert Chalmers

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
I put a spanish hog fish in my tank. Will he eat my shrimps, clams or
anything else or is he okay. Any info and/or experiences with this
fish would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Beau50

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <DKq5F...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
hd...@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Haywood D. Giles) writes:

>I was thinking using larger, less dense rocks like lava rock or
>tufa might alleviate any stress to the bottom of the tank.
>
>Should I use aquarium sealer and glue all the rocks together to
>keep them stable? What is standard procedure in setting up an
>aquarium like this?
<Snip>

Haywood,

You'd be surprised how much your tank can support. I have an eighty gallon
with over one hundred pounds of rock, and a 55 with 50 pounds of rock. No
Problemo.....Just so long as your tank is probably supported. both mine
are on solid mounting surfaces.

I have experimented with a variety of rocks. I personnally prefer what is
called "Lace" rock. It is volcanic rock which is often conveniently shaped
like caves, or flat pieces about 1/2 inch thick. It is light, and eay to
form into caves, stack, and alike. Being lighter, it costs less than some
other type rock, such as Texas Holey rock.

The Internet Cichlid Digest would probably also interest you....

To subscribe: E mail to this address:

List...@Mailmill.com

(Write only this and nothing else in the body of your letter)

Subscribe Cichlids-Digest

(IF you get an undeliverable error message try)

Subscribe Cichlids-D -or- Subscribe Cichlids-L

Good luck
Beau

AKB1

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Haywood,

You are going to need a fair amount of rock. Your right, lava rock is a
little lighter (it's what I have), but my favorite mbuna tanks usa a flat
rocks to build up their structure. On note, when I set up my first tank, I
would buy the rocks from the aquarium store at 2 to 4 dollars/lb. Then I
got a 180 gallon and knew I was going to have a big expense. I went to a
high quality landscape rock outlet and bought 150 lbs. of great shaped
lava rock for 18 cents/lb. Just scrubbed hit good with a stifff brush
under hot water, tank cleared in 3 or 4 days. Cleaned the filters and that
was it. Got 75 fish in there and they are doing great.

Allen B

inno...@ix.netcom.com

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
bea...@aol.com (Beau50) wrote: