18 months and NO tank maintenance!

1 view

Sep 10, 2005, 7:24:17 AM9/10/05
Folks:

FWIW, just went through a separation and divorce and left the home w/o the
55g FOWLR DSB (life sucks sometimes-no not about the divorce either). Got
the tank back after 18 months and it was a major mess: NEVER a water change,
NEVER a cleaning NO maintenance... and the ex said feeding of the fish was
intermittent
took >3 hours to clean the tank at the new location!

YET...

virtually everything SURVIVED! 1-Hippo, 1-yellow tang, Brittle Star, Carpet
Anemone, 2 Chromis and most ;) of the turbos...

So (believe me I'm not trying to start a war here), and I do know that
hobbies range from dabbling to extreme serious investments of time and money
BUT...

Do we 'overmanage' or 'over analyze' aquariums?

(REMORA skimmer, Ehiem 2227, Fluval 404, coralife 15W UV, JBJ 220W PC and 2
power heads)

whodat

Sep 10, 2005, 7:51:30 AM9/10/05

well i think you lucked out
i croaked fish by doing too much of a water change and cleaning the
filter at the same time....
the fish guy said in so many words "you knucklehead, you got rid of the
good bacteria"
only change 1/2 the water, and dont do the filter at the same time
live and learn

--
whodat
whodat's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=35

Pszemol

Sep 10, 2005, 1:59:54 PM9/10/05
"g" <i_get_too...@spam.com> wrote in message news:du6dnYdoq4IDXL_e...@comcast.com...

> So (believe me I'm not trying to start a war here), and I do know that
> hobbies range from dabbling to extreme serious investments of time and
> money BUT...
>
> Do we 'overmanage' or 'over analyze' aquariums?

Fish only tanks are little different story from reef tanks.
Try doing the same with a real *reef tank* and you will get the answer.

Marc Levenson

Sep 11, 2005, 2:13:16 AM9/11/05
Well, if feeding wasn't overdone, it is indeed possible to keep the
livestock alive in those conditions.

I'm assuming your ex continued to top off the tank to avoid evaporation,
and cleaned the skimmer occasionally in that 18 month period.

I bet water parameters are interesting, and the bulbs need replacing, as
well as pumps needing so real cleaning.

Marc

--
Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com

Sep 15, 2005, 6:43:27 PM9/15/05
I should elaborate...

she did top off water (with tap)

Nothing else done

The tank glass was brown.(all sides, could barely see the inside)

Amazing what they (fish) can take...

But then again: mother nature surprises us in many ways :)

PS love your website!

"Marc Levenson" <me...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Marc Levenson

Oct 1, 2005, 9:18:19 PM10/1/05
Thank you G. :)

Marc

Jaime R-S

Oct 4, 2005, 9:43:53 PM10/4/05
Hello, this is my first time here...
What you experienced is not rare to me. I designed a filter that does just
what many think is luck.

Believe me, once you are able to neutralize nitrates and stabilize another
compound (kept secret) you barely have need for maintenance.

Yes, all that maintenance is unnecessary and was designed for you to buy
stuff that stabilizes one thing but breaks the balance of a second, a third,
and so on.

Is a vicious cycle I was able to break in my aquarium. I had been running
my aquarium with 7+ species with not even one water change. It works
perfect and as soon as I patent the system, I will be sharing it!

Imagine you were God and someone told you to change 25% of the ocean's water
every 4 days. lol

No, nature has its one solutions!

jrs

Pszemol

Oct 4, 2005, 11:24:03 PM10/4/05
"Jaime R-S" <cheoar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GbG0f.8271$tV1....@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

> Hello, this is my first time here...
> What you experienced is not rare to me. I designed a filter that does just
> what many think is luck.
>
> Believe me, once you are able to neutralize nitrates and stabilize another
> compound (kept secret) you barely have need for maintenance.
>
> Yes, all that maintenance is unnecessary and was designed for you to buy
> stuff that stabilizes one thing but breaks the balance of a second, a third,
> and so on.
>
> Is a vicious cycle I was able to break in my aquarium. I had been running
> my aquarium with 7+ species with not even one water change. It works
> perfect and as soon as I patent the system, I will be sharing it!
>
> Imagine you were God and someone told you to change 25% of the ocean's water
> every 4 days. lol
>
> No, nature has its one solutions!

You will not get a patent on something which Nature has been doing
for milions of years. Patent is only for new inventions ;-)

Also, you have only one fish tank with 7 species? For how long ?
What kind of "species" ? Please tell me more about your tank :-)

BTW - it is very hard to even compare fish concentration levels
in the ocean to these in an average fish tank... do you agree ?

George Patterson

Oct 4, 2005, 11:42:41 PM10/4/05
Jaime R-S wrote:

> Imagine you were God and someone told you to change 25% of the ocean's water
> every 4 days. lol

I'd say, "no problem." Lessee here, we can have the sun evaporate some water,
have the wind carry the vapor somewhere else, a little temperature change here
to get rain, let things percolate on down to the rivers. Those will wind up at
the sea, if those pesky little humans let 'em (wish I'd never invented them).

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Jaime R-S

Oct 5, 2005, 8:07:39 PM10/5/05
Do you really think I am going to tell you?
lol
OK, sit down and relax! this coastal marine biologist has news for you...

jrs
"Pszemol" <Psz...@PolBox.com> wrote in message

Jaime R-S

Oct 5, 2005, 8:08:18 PM10/5/05
lol
"George Patterson" <grpp...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Pszemol

Oct 5, 2005, 8:14:02 PM10/5/05
"Jaime R-S" <cheoar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nTZ0f.1695$Ra...@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

> Do you really think I am going to tell you?
> lol
> OK, sit down and relax! this coastal marine biologist has news for you...

I can understand you make a secret out of the maintenance
or the "patent" filter, but you can at least say how long
and what fish do you keep succesfully in this tank...
I just want to get an idea how big is the tank, how well
your fish are growing (no growth stunned?) and how long you
have it. Do not want to steal your secrets about the filter :-)
Of course I try to believe in what you say is not a joke...

Jaime R-S

Oct 5, 2005, 8:57:42 PM10/5/05
Many questions which I can't answer yet

I mentioned 7 species, never how many individuals of each species.

The tank is not big but, since is a prototype I can only compare it to
similar tanks running on conventional maintenance. I am not saying the
size.

Now, and I can only ask for your trust, there is many people like me trying
to develop a "MAINTENANCE FREE" SALT WATER AQUARIUM.

It can be done and so far is working.

On due time, the idea is going to come out and yes, it can be patented like
a light bulb was patented eventhough there was a sun in nature. The idea
was taken from nature same as my idea which is very clever and, why not,
simple...

jrs
"Pszemol" <Psz...@PolBox.com> wrote in message

Pszemol

Oct 5, 2005, 9:38:45 PM10/5/05
You are very wrong thinking that Sun and a light bulb work
in simillar fashion :-) This example tells me something
important about you... but I am going to keep it for myself :-)

Tell me one thing - what was the reason for you to post
here your message about "some tank", "somewhere out there",
with "some fish" running without water change for "some time" ? :-))
That kind of info is worthless. My tank is also running without
a water change for "some time" and I do not even have
a special secret filter worth patenting :-)) Also, I have
only 4 species of fish, but I am not telling how many
individuals of each species :-)) Experienced aquarist
would easily guess that most species need to be kept
in signles in an average tank but there are exeptions :-)
I think it will be something about 2 weeks now without
even single water change!!! :-))) How impressive!

So - summing up, you are telling here NOTHING worth
considering because it is quite normal for any tank to work
without water change for "some time" with "some fish" in it... :-)

Good luck for you in the patent office! :-))))

Wayne Sallee

Oct 6, 2005, 2:05:24 AM10/6/05
Yea this "new idea to be pattened" is not worth anything
that I can see. I say so what. I have a 120 gallon salt
water tank that has not had a water change since the day
it was set up about 4 years ago, and no maintenance
either. But so what That's no feat.

Wayne Sallee
Wa...@WayneSallee.com

Pszemol

Oct 6, 2005, 11:56:22 AM10/6/05
"Wayne Sallee" <Wa...@WayneSallee.com> wrote in message news:E831f.10849$q1....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> Yea this "new idea to be pattened" is not worth anything
> that I can see. I say so what. I have a 120 gallon salt
> water tank that has not had a water change since the day
> it was set up about 4 years ago, and no maintenance
> either. But so what That's no feat.

Maybe you will want to share some details about your tank ?
Do you have fish in there ? What kind ? How big they grow ?

Wayne Sallee

Oct 6, 2005, 1:37:52 PM10/6/05
hehe it's just a tank with live rock, live sand, a pair of
clarkys, and a convict worm goby. A mag 5 haning in there
to move the water, and some cheap lights over it. I set it
up to hold anything that I no longer wanted in my reef
tank, with the idea that it could be added back to the
reef, if I decided to later. I feed the tank once in a
blue moon when ever I feal like it.

Wayne Sallee
Wa...@WayneSallee.com

Jaime R-S

Oct 6, 2005, 10:18:56 PM10/6/05
You know what?

You ask too much. Methink you have to relax, I just read about something
that happened to a person here and commented on it because is related to
what I am working on. YOU WERE NEVER MY INTEREST, nor will be, lol. Is
that too hard for you to understand?

First, you post with a pseudonym, second you want to know more than what you
can handle...

Relax son, you can't handle much!

jrs
"Pszemol" <Psz...@PolBox.com> wrote in message

Jaime R-S

Oct 6, 2005, 10:20:13 PM10/6/05
lol

"Wayne Sallee" <Wa...@WayneSallee.com> wrote in message

Pszemol

Oct 7, 2005, 12:41:33 AM10/7/05
"Jaime R-S" <cheoar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:sUk1f.269$qE6...@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

> You ask too much. Methink you have to relax, I just read about something
> that happened to a person here and commented on it because is related to
> what I am working on. YOU WERE NEVER MY INTEREST, nor will be, lol. Is
> that too hard for you to understand?

Its a pity you do not get what a discussion forum or newsgroup is...
Try to understand I wanted to open you eyes on the fact that your
statements were worthless. You do with this gift whatever you want :-)

> First, you post with a pseudonym,

What pseudonym ?
This is my name... Is this a problem for you, son ?

> second you want to know more than what you can handle...
>
> Relax son, you can't handle much!

Don't you worry about how much I can handle...
The true problem is you have nothing to say :-)
And this is why your emotional response is here...

Mark Cooper

Oct 7, 2005, 10:37:53 AM10/7/05
"Pszemol" <Psz...@PolBox.com> wrote in

Pszemol, you're wasting your time on this troll.
Repeat after me: plonk

Jaime R-S

Oct 8, 2005, 9:33:10 PM10/8/05
Good lord!
I commented on someone's experience and now I get insulted by two (if not
the same) different persons I don't even know. Neither of both I was
talking to.

Well my friend, now that you addressed me, lol, let me tell you that the
nitrites problem had been solved and my aquarium is running at 0.15mg/L of
NO2 WITHOUT WATER CHANGE for more than a month.

Other readings to be concerned are
NH3 = 0.3 mg/L
CaCO3 = 400 mg/L
NO3 = 20 mg/L
PH = 8.3
KH = 110

all at a 78 F/ 1.024 S.G.

I had a little setback on nitrites but I figured out how to solve it.

I already said this is a prototype and the size and other specs I keep to
myself.

But, I have to say that the aquarium had been checked by possible buyers and
I already have my investment paid.

Don't fool yourself, it is possible to have an inexpensive salt water
aquarium without the extraordinary cost of today's maintenance.

You guys are just pissed because someone came up with an idea you CAN'T
UNDERSTAND. Next time you go to buy salr or saltwater, lol, think of me...

jrs

"Mark Cooper" <vik...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pszemol

Oct 9, 2005, 10:22:17 AM10/9/05
"Jaime R-S" <cheoar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vp_1f.556$Yl....@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

> Good lord!
> I commented on someone's experience and now I get insulted by two (if not
> the same) different persons I don't even know. Neither of both I was
> talking to.

Remember: you are writing to the whole newsgroup.
Whole group of people reading you and have equal right to respond.
This is the whole idea of a newsgroup. If you were ment to send
a private message to a particular group member, send e-mail only
to him, not to the whole newsgroup or dont be surprised that
someone has a comment to your comment :-))

> Well my friend, now that you addressed me, lol, let me tell you that the
> nitrites problem had been solved and my aquarium is running at 0.15mg/L of
> NO2 WITHOUT WATER CHANGE for more than a month.

WOW... Whole month without a water change ? That is impressive! LOL :-)))))
BTW - that is quite sad you still detect nitrites after a month...

> Other readings to be concerned are
> NH3 = 0.3 mg/L
> CaCO3 = 400 mg/L
> NO3 = 20 mg/L
> PH = 8.3
> KH = 110
>
> all at a 78 F/ 1.024 S.G.
>
> I had a little setback on nitrites but I figured out how to solve it.

Yeah... wait for the cycle to end ? :-)

You said enough to make me laugh :-)

> But, I have to say that the aquarium had been checked by possible
> buyers and I already have my investment paid.

:-)))

> Don't fool yourself, it is possible to have an inexpensive salt water
> aquarium without the extraordinary cost of today's maintenance.
>
> You guys are just pissed because someone came up with an idea you CAN'T
> UNDERSTAND. Next time you go to buy salr or saltwater, lol, think of me...

My friend, you do not understand the nitrogen cycle in a fish tank...
You never need to change water because of ammonia or nitrites :-)
These are neutralized with biological filtration, and there is something
seriously wrong with your tank if ammonia and nitrites are still
detectable after a month of cycling with live rock and sand...
BTW - one month without water change is NOTHING SPECIAL OR UNUSUAL.
It is even recomended that during fish tank cycling you do not change
water for a month or two, to not disturb the cycle... But cycling
with live rock is usually flat if you use live rock cured already...

How do you feel re-inventing the wheel ? :-)))

Chris

Oct 9, 2005, 11:57:07 AM10/9/05
In a well setup tank the only reason to do a water change is to replace
trace elements, i usually go months without a water change
nitrate/nitrite/ammonia are 0...

Pszemol

Oct 9, 2005, 1:11:52 PM10/9/05
"Chris" <chri...@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:n5b2f.3396$I4.3...@wagner.videotron.net...

> In a well setup tank the only reason to do a water change is to replace
> trace elements, i usually go months without a water change
> nitrate/nitrite/ammonia are 0...

And this is a norm, nothing unusuall.
Of course, all these are not actual 0, they are just
not detectable with aquarium grade color drop tests.

Jaime R-S

Oct 9, 2005, 10:31:19 PM10/9/05
That is good to know
The only difference is that I am getting those numbers on an innexpensive
system.
The systems that I have seen that have the same diversity of fish, size and
light cost 3X more.
You see, is not that I am doing something new...
Is that my system is doing the same thing for much less!
BTW, is not just a month, the month started after the nitrogen cycle was
established.
Again, it is too much to tell but little motivation.
Is my system going to fail in a few more weeks?
probably!
I already have plans and counterplans to overcome every single setback
possible.

My first maintenance only cost me $20! and will only be necessary every
month.

Is there going to be water changes? I hope not but if it comes to it, I
already have an alternate plan.

You see, I am not starting now with this. I had been working in different
systems since my college years and after 10 years putting papers together, I
came out with something that was supposed to be for a wetland's sewage
treatment system.

Well, just keep asking and commenting but keep the insults to yourselves

Jaime

Wayne Sallee

Oct 10, 2005, 11:10:04 AM10/10/05
LOL this is just tooo funny :-)

Wayne Sallee
Wayne's Pets
Wa...@WaynesPets.com

Pszemol

Oct 10, 2005, 11:21:35 AM10/10/05
"Wayne Sallee" <Wa...@WayneSallee.com> wrote in message news:gvv2f.11848$vw6....@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> LOL this is just tooo funny :-)

For the long time I was sure he must be joking...
Now, sadly, I discovered he was serious...