This one is funny, and SO true.....

Scott W. Harvey

Jan 1, 2009, 12:07:08 PM1/1/09

William Sommerwerck

Jan 1, 2009, 12:25:26 PM1/1/09
Thank you -- it's something I've often thought myself.

I wish my friend Greg Lefebvre were still here. He would have bust a gut
over that.

philo

Jan 1, 2009, 12:44:55 PM1/1/09

"Scott W. Harvey" <NOT_M...@email.com> wrote in message
> http://www.theonion.com/content/news/even_ceo_cant_figure_out_how

The article was so well written I actually forgot it was an "Onion" satire
<G>

Heck, I was just in a Radio Shack a couple of days ago.

needed about a dozen resistors for work ASAP...

just popped into the closest store and within a few minutes had what I
needed.

They've saved my butt many times.

engineer

Jan 1, 2009, 12:36:00 PM1/1/09

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Thank you -- it's something I've often thought myself.
>
> I wish my friend Greg Lefebvre were still here. He would have bust a gut
> over that.

Day forgot to add that the hired-help don't know anything, either!
Cheers,
Roger

William Sommerwerck

Jan 1, 2009, 1:23:59 PM1/1/09
> Day forgot to add that the hired-help don't know anything, either!

When I went to buy a digital converter for my analog TV, the kid thought the
authorization card was a credit card.

Peter Wieck

Jan 1, 2009, 1:30:46 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 12:44 pm, "philo" <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "Scott W. Harvey" <NOT_MY_R...@email.com> wrote in messagenews:gjit8...@news1.newsguy.com...

> >http://www.theonion.com/content/news/even_ceo_cant_figure_out_how
>
> The article was so well written I actually forgot it was an "Onion" satire
> <G>
>
> Heck, I was just in a Radio Shack a couple of days ago.
>
> needed about a dozen resistors for work ASAP...
>
> just popped into the closest store and within a few minutes had what I
> needed.
>
> They've saved my butt many times.

About covers it. They can sell $0.05 (including packing) worth of
resistors for $1.19 + tax.

I need the resistors *now*, so I am grateful. They need the revenue.
They are grateful. Works out well.

Hilarious article, however.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Carter

Jan 1, 2009, 3:11:34 PM1/1/09
Scott W. Harvey wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/content/news/even_ceo_cant_figure_out_how

> "...it [Radio Shack] ranks as a Fortune 500 company, with gross revenues of over $4.5
> billion and fiscal quarter earnings averaging tens of millions of
> dollars."

I'm not sure that this is a 'real' article, but if it ain't broke, don't
fix it. :-)

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 1, 2009, 3:14:25 PM1/1/09

Did any of you notice that is over a year and a half old? It has been
mentioned quite a few times on other newsgroups, since it was first
posted.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Joe Bento

Jan 1, 2009, 3:34:09 PM1/1/09
On 2009-01-01 10:07:08 -0700, "Scott W. Harvey" <NOT_M...@email.com> said:

> http://www.theonion.com/content/news/even_ceo_cant_figure_out_how

I think even Charles Tandy might agree. Radio Shack today is certainly
not the company he created.

Joe

Tio Pedro

Jan 1, 2009, 3:51:57 PM1/1/09

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Did any of you notice that is over a year and a half old? It has been
> mentioned quite a few times on other newsgroups, since it was first
> posted.

Yeah, but as time passes it becomes closer to the truth. What
keeps those stores in business??? There's a lot of overhead in
those malls.

Bill M

Jan 1, 2009, 4:08:54 PM1/1/09

The Onion is a very entertaining spoof site.

-Bill

HagstAr

Jan 1, 2009, 6:20:39 PM1/1/09
"Are ham radio operators still around, even? Aren't we in the digital age?"

Let's find this guy and kill him.

John H.

HagstAr

Jan 1, 2009, 6:37:59 PM1/1/09

"HagstAr" <yonn...@SPAMMERSatt.net> wrote in message

> Let's find this guy and kill him.

Oh, right, forgot it's the Onion- it's so close to the truth I forgot it was
satire.

John H.

philo

Jan 1, 2009, 6:43:37 PM1/1/09

"Peter Wieck" <pf...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yep...
though I will draw the line somewhere.

I will *not* pay $16 for a mouse!!!!

HagstAr

Jan 1, 2009, 6:46:11 PM1/1/09

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
> > Did any of you notice that is over a year and a half old? It has been
>> mentioned quite a few times on other newsgroups, since it was first
>> posted.

Aren't you SO much better informed than us behind the times peons like me
who never saw this on any "other newsgroup" and are grateful to see it here.
You should call the original poster's ISP and have his account pulled-
imagine, wasting your valuable time like that! They must be in league with
those cats that are out to get you.

John H.

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 1, 2009, 11:22:40 PM1/1/09

I have one near here that isn't in a mall. If the financial news is
right, one in three malls and shopping centers will soon be boarded up
anyway.

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 1, 2009, 11:24:04 PM1/1/09

Yawn. Go work on a radio and get it out of your system. You've been
in a pissy mood for months.

Scott W. Harvey

Jan 2, 2009, 12:45:28 AM1/2/09
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> I have one near here that isn't in a mall. If the financial news is
> right, one in three malls and shopping centers will soon be boarded up
> anyway.

Quite an interesting website:

http://www.deadmalls.com

-Scott

William Sommerwerck

Jan 2, 2009, 7:33:49 AM1/2/09
> I think even Charles Tandy might agree. Radio Shack
> today is certainly not the company he created.

It never was. It was founded by the Deutschmann brothers. Radio Shack was
bought by Tandy Leather in 1962.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_shack

philsvintageradios

Jan 2, 2009, 1:27:23 PM1/2/09
there is quite a bit on radio shack if you look at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Shack

I thought the stores in Canada all closed, the leftovers have been and
are now pretty much gone from the discount store bins around here,
and it is getting hard to find parts like high voltage caps etc. We
have a couple of good electronic places but the stores were handy for
little items, like to replace a switch or something. I always thought
the stores, being in the malls gave men a place to look around, as
most of the shops in the mall are women's clothing stores, there is
very little in the mall to grab men's interest, except the clientell
of course:)

Phil