"Ad matai Elohai"-"Until when my God" - Turkish original?

eva.b...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2010, 10:33:04 AM8/22/10
to Rebetika
Hi everyone,

Since I know that there are a few Turkish members of this group, I
wonder if anyone could recognize the Turkish original to this classic
Israeli song:.

http://www.hebrewsongs.com/?song=admataielohai

This song was originally recorded in the 80's by the iconic Israeli
singer Zohar Argov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafFqQvSe3U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zohar_Argov

A "live" version" of "Ad matai Elohai" with Zohar Argov, which also
includes an Israeli version of the Kazantzidis classic "Nichterides
kai arachnes":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHLFG-L4C5s

Due to Argov's enormous popularity in Israel, "Ad matai Elohai" has
become a cult song, performed and recorded by many artists:

A 'live' perfornance by the fine singer Ron Shoval, imitating (for
fun) the style of Zohar Argov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-Yy6shFZA

A joint performance by two singers: Zohar Argov's son Gili Argov and
Rinat Bar from Georgia, former Soviet Union:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkWa6dwsIQ

An emotional version of "Ad matai Elohai" by a prominent Israeli
singer in the Turkish-Arab style, Ofer Levi (from Iraqi Kurdistan):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55IhKEUtDs

And different Hebrew-language versions of this Turkish song:

By Greek singer Glykeria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcchHa3-lnc

By "Mercedes band":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJdnXI-nzC0

By "Meital ben Shimchon":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1q0iQcSQxs

Finally, one of the contestants in this year's "A Star is Born"
contest in Israel, Diana Golby, whose family came to Israel from the
former Soviet Union:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrq6Eeyd534

Since this melody has become a much-beloved musical treasure for
Israelis from many different ethnic backgrounds, it would be great to
know the Turkish original.

Best, Eva

Ali Fuat AYDIN

Aug 23, 2010, 3:09:19 AM8/23/10
to rebe...@googlegroups.com, Eva Broman

eva.b...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2010, 5:48:32 AM8/23/10
to Rebetika
Sağ olun! (I hope that was right!). This is great...and it is
interesting to note that the Turkish original has another feel....it
seems a little slower than the Israeli versions.

Best, Eva